Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #601
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: GA
Posts: 673
Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
Southern Girl- Hot yoga is yoga that is practiced in the heat- usually 104degrees Farenheit and around 50% humidity. It is a great way to get a good cardiovascular workout with very low impact (good for me w/my bad knees). You sweat a ton, and get rid of all these toxins- and you feel amazing afterwards!
This is bikram yoga, right?


Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Welcome to my world...now think on adding the government to interfere with that daily....and make suggestions....then alter the rules every month...and you are trying to pass the class! Know in reality, working will be nothing like college....college is a game to survive and get out! Your brain will be clearer with NK!
Oh yeah, I get to take income tax next semester. SO looking forward to that... I figure if I want to be a tax accountant right now, I probably won't after that class! Yeah, I hear whatever firm one ends up at, you basically receive on the job training there. I'm exciting to get it all over with-- 3 more semesters!
mizzcase is offline  

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #602
Senior LCF Member
 
wildflower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Md
Posts: 353
Gallery: wildflower
Stats: SW180/CW180/GL145
WOE: NK
Start Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulabob View Post
The erythritol in truvia is listed as carbs but they are a type of sugar alcohol that is almost neglible (0.2 calories per gram).

Here's a discussion on it:
Carbs in Truvia...
Thanks for the link to the truvia discussion. Well, I haven't been counting it so should be OK. I did go ahead and buy some liquid stevia so I'll use the packets on the go and the liquid at home!!
wildflower is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #603
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 850
Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
This is bikram yoga, right?
Bikram yoga is 90 minutes poses done for an exact amount of time and in an exact order. Raquel Welch has done it for probably 30 years and how she stays in shape.

I think some teachers have branched off from Bikram and are doing "yoga" classes in the heat, thus the "Hot Yoga". But maybe Sassioner is taking Bikram??? I did 3 times a week for years where I used to live...now there isn't one near me, but I loved it. So hard at first with the heat that you got nauseated, but then you started to crave it after about 3-4 classes. If you ever do it, you will find that your flexibility is unbelievable as the muscles are so warm and so flexible! I miss it! You are a lucky woman Sassioner!!!!
__________________
Shelley
shelley is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #604
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 850
Gallery: shelley
Update on my first personal training session this morning. She wants me to do no weights or cardio at all for a week to let my body "recover". And then she showed me exercises that are to rebuild my base and core...using a foam roller to roll on muscles (ouch!!!) and then a few small exercises to help with posture and core strength. I'm to do them every day and go back next Friday for evaluation. She said I should see amazing changes in how I feel in just a week. Exciting stuff.

She looked at my fitdays and said the only change she would make would be to add in dark green veggies and cauliflower....she had no problem with my 78-83% fat. The interesting thing is that 2 days ago I decided to add back a small salad to my days of pure fat and protein. And, what happened? I got into ketosis and my glucose (fasting) levels went from the 100's (as high as 125 once!) down into the 90's. Yesterday was 97 and today was 92. Just with the addition of a small salad. Nothing else changed. Go figure that one out? Add veggie carbs and the glucose levels will drop and ketones will rise. I don't get it.
shelley is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #605
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: GA
Posts: 673
Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Well, I am done eating for today. Was a really strange day, as I wasn't nauseous to the point of feeling like I was going to puke, but the thought of food just wasn't appealing. I wanted to cook some ground beef w/ cheese, spices, topped with sour cream and salsa, but as soon as I opened the package, I was disgusted. Food:

B: 1 cup coffee, 1T HWC, sausage w/ SC
L: 2 eggs mixed w/ SC and salsa, 1 oz brazil nuts
D: 1 oz pecans, 1 oz macadamia nuts (all I could manage)
Drinks: 2 glasses red wine

1466 calories/117g fat/24.5g carbs/35.8g protein

Wow, really slacking on protein, hope I feel better tomorrow!
mizzcase is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #606
Senior LCF Member
 
Snoangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 389
Gallery: Snoangel
Stats: 214/135/139
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: July 2010
Hi everyone!

Buffy sorry you're not feeling well! But YAY for the new low

I can't get myself to eat enough. The only things i'm hungry for are off limits, not sure what to do?? Everything is just blah right now. Kinda weird!
I've even gained a pound or so :/

Hope everyone is doing great!
I've got a lil catching up to do now, this thread moves so fast, I love it
Snoangel is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #607
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 8,764
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Just had time to come read and catch up. I am sinking in my toffee business right now but you have to make it while you can, it will be busy up until Christmas and then I will be pretty much done for another year.

So, with that said, all I have eaten so far today is 3 slices thick bacon and a teeny little piece of toffee of of each new batch that I cut up, which was only 3 so shouldn't impact me. Chicken and cranberry relish for dinner, maybe something else?
Buffy45 is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #608
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 8,764
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Oh, Dr. called in an antibiotic for the sinus problem. That should get me clear over this.
Buffy45 is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #609
Senior LCF Member
 
SouthernGirl61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 462
Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Hi Dazygyrl, sorry you are bouncing, that seems to happen to us all.
Hi Paula, I like Truvia, still use it, it got me off the need for super sweet taste. How are you doing?
Darin, I nearly agree with your assessment of exercise/aerobic in nature, and clinical studies show it is not needed for weight loss -- you win!! That said, the firm up process seems to require something...the older I get the less I seem to desire to take precious time to weight train, but preserving muscle is vital, our heart is one too. What to do? Studies do confirm my theory that running/jogging is useless -- the rate of death from it outweighs the benefits, and it shoots your knees to miserable surgery and back! Working on after Christmas to get back on PACE.
Becky, do report on the jerky, I love it. Found a lower sugar brand, trying to remember the name, it was at Target, one of the new "designer"ones....
Oh Buffy, that is wonderful. I know you have been waiting for that move! So happy for you. So many of us are with you on the sinus issues, it's our darned weather! Toffee making is fun, been a long time! It's always too warm for it since we moved here...how you feel better!
Deborah, I agree with you, I can almost taste Buffy's toffee from here! I love that stuff.
Hi Terri! This WOE does have great benefits!
Hi Oceana! I agree, I just thought about all those kids and Cheryl in pjs and hot cocoa, perfect! Not eating causes weight gain....that is so surreal to say!
oh Sophie, I forgot to mention that the hot yoga sounds like our summers, with higher humidity!
Darin, yes there is a lab test for Vit D analysis, but it is unlikely for most of us....home testing, I do not know, but there is a website many, I think Shelley knows about, they may have one.
Shelley, do you do this Bikram yoga??? For real? 90 min? You do make me think more about getting back on my PACE schedule. But everytime I get back to exercise, my neck pays for it. Great numbers!
SouthernGirl61 is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 06:34 PM   #610
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 1,353
Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Southern girl. I wrote a reply about the d3 but lost it
Anyway I took 4 aday for a few months. I take less in the summer.

Any more advice on staying well. I had 2 parents pull the motrin trick on me this week. They dose the kid up and don't tell ya the kid has been running a fever. Then its nap time by the time the meds wear off. Now 3 of the 5 are sick. My nose is stuffing up. I took 6x 1000 vitamin c and 2 d3. any other suggestions?

They are sick but they all got to come to PJ day and we had ana absolute ball. The fevers started after nap

Last edited by Clueless; 12-07-2012 at 06:41 PM..
Clueless is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #611
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 1,353
Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
have you guys tried kundalini yoga? it is kinda weird but I love it.
Clueless is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #612
Senior LCF Member
 
SouthernGirl61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 462
Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Southern girl. I wrote a reply about the d3 but lost it
Anyway I took 4 aday for a few months. I take less in the summer.

Any more advice on staying well. I had 2 parents pull the motrin trick on me this week. They dose the kid up and don't tell ya the kid has been running a fever. Then its nap time by the time the meds wear off. Now 3 of the 5 are sick. My nose is stuffing up. I took 6x 1000 vitamin c and 2 d3. any other suggestions?

They are sick but they all got to come to PJ day and we had ana absolute ball. The fevers started after nap
That's not nice to send sick kids to spread germs! Staying well requires a good immune system...you likely are getting one now. But it takes some time. When you kill the sugars, bad carbs your body starts to work better...get healthy. Get some zinc...I do the Zicam on the schedule per the bottle; the quick melts ones. Get the nose cleared with good ole fashion saline spray....keep it moist. Dry harbors germs! Hot baths, showers, and sleep are vital. None of that anti-bacterial soap stuff...I know they have brain-washed us, but you have to build up a good immune system by coming in contact with germs and defeating them. Wash with soap often, and do not touch eyes/nose if you can help it before washing and drying with paper towels. In common places/spaces, use paper towels after washing to open the doors; in public restrooms use arms to open doors, and lock doors of stalls with toliet paper. We in hospitals are experts at not touching things! Now, the tough part....nix over-the-counter stuff when you can...especially the multi-symptom ones! Let your body fight it. Sweden reduced their mult-resistant streps by limiting antibiotics. Took a huge push to docs....virus rarely respond to antibiotics....bacterial infections do, but I always required a blood test for my DDs...verify the type and fight with the right one...truth is that nearly all sinus infections will heal without antibiotics. Some folks need them though, use sparingly. Good old fashioned chicken soup as amazing healing properties, add the spices and veggies that are low carb. Keep up the vit C at those levels for a few days, then taper down a bit. Drink water. Hydration is key here too. Even my DDs do not keep a cold long if they get one, they rarely had antibiotics. Fresh air and get some sun if you can.

Last edited by SouthernGirl61; 12-07-2012 at 07:16 PM..
SouthernGirl61 is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #613
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 1,353
Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
That's not nice to send sick kids to spread germs! Staying well requires a good immune system...you likely are getting one now. But it takes some time. When you kill the sugars, bad carbs your body starts to work better...get healthy. Get some zinc...I do the Zicam on the schedule per the bottle; the quick melts ones. Get the nose cleared with good ole fashion saline spray....keep it moist. Dry harbors germs! Hot baths, showers, and sleep are vital. None of that anti-bacterial soap stuff...I know they have brain-washed us, but you have to build up a good immune system by coming in contact with germs and defeating them. Wash with soap often, and do not touch eyes/nose if you can help it before washing and drying with paper towels. In common places/spaces, use paper towels after washing to open the doors; in public restrooms use arms to open doors, and lock doors of stalls with toliet paper. We in hospitals are experts at not touching things! Now, the tough part....nix over-the-counter stuff when you can...especially the multi-symptom ones! Let your body fight it. Sweden reduced their mult-resistant streps by limiting antibiotics. Took a huge push to docs....virus rarely respond to antibiotics....bacterial infections do, but I always required a blood test for my DDs...verify the type and fight with the right one...truth is that nearly all sinus infections will heal without antibiotics. Some folks need them though, use sparingly. Good old fashioned chicken soup as amazing healing properties, add the spices and veggies that are low carb. Keep up the vit C at those levels for a few days, then taper down a bit. Drink water. Hydration is key here too. Even my DDs do not keep a cold long if they get one, they rarely had antibiotics. Fresh air and get some sun if you can.
Thanks!!!
one more question, I never get flu shots, got 1 10 years ago and was the sickest ever. What do you reccommend about flu shots. All the daycare parents get them for the kids but I would never let the Dr give the flu shots to my girls.
Thanks Southern girl

I do use non anti bacterial hand soap and always use paper towels with me and the kids. We wash alot. Only use hand sanitizer outside.

thanks again. I really appreciate it. My DD came down with a fever this evening too.

Last edited by Clueless; 12-07-2012 at 07:32 PM..
Clueless is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #614
Blabbermouth!!!
 
paulabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,544
Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Hi Paula, I like Truvia, still use it, it got me off the need for super sweet taste. How are you doing?
Thanks for asking (and thanks to ALL for the supportive comments the last month or two). I am slowly improving. My need to overeat carbs seems to have gone. Have had weird hormonal things happening too that may have been at the root of some of all this (40+ day cycle, then 10 day cycle, crazy right? I'm 43 and understand these things will happen more and more often).

Right now I'm at 138...10 pounds more than a couple months ago, which is about in line with how quickly I gain when I use carbs for a fuel source occasionally.
__________________
Paula
2010 Atkins 204/191.6 HCG/hHCG 191.6/176/165.4/156.4/147.8 (4 rounds)
2011 hHCG 148.6/140.8/134.8/129.2 (3 rounds) JUDDD 125.6 (sept-dec)
2012 lowish Optimal calories, June25th 132.6/124.6/110
paulabob is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #615
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 850
Gallery: shelley
Wow...lots to catch up on. First. Big congratulations and celebration for the downward trend to return to Buffy!

Paula....I so remember all the things that happened to me/my body at about your age. It's nuts the cycles...and then not having any...and then here they are again. It's all wild and you just have to "go with the flow" and that was NOT meant to be a pun (sorry Darin)

Cheryl....so sorry the kids are sick and parents send sick kids to you, but the day sounded absolutely magical with their PJ's and your hot chocolate. I wish I had been there as it sounds like great fun!

SG...I did Bikram yoga 3 times a week for a long time, and then we moved. There was a studio here and I joined and then they went out of business. Guess not enough people liked the hard workout and the heat! ha ha

Note about flu. I'm with Cheryl on having one flu shot and having a bad ill reaction. I have never had the flu, but what I do is always have a box of oscillococcinum on hand. It's my life saver. And I've given it to people who are sick and they recover quickly. Love the stuff (for flu prevention!!)

I'm off to my favorite night time place....a hot bath of "salts" and a good book! See you all tomorrow.

I took Major Red's advice and backed off the BPC today...had tea instead and less fat. Much less fat (from 83% down to 72% today) and it will be interesting to see what the glucose and ketone meters have to say in the morning. I think the CO and MCT oils were causing stomach distress....just felt "poorly" within a short time after ingesting it. So, took a day off.

My day:

1577 calories
125.3 fat (72%)
27.7 total carbs (7% with 10 fiber)
80.2 protein (21%)

Way different than I've been eating. Should be interesting.
shelley is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #616
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 850
Gallery: shelley
ooops...double post!! Sorry. Must be my age!
shelley is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 11:31 PM   #617
Major LCF Poster!
 
tiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: UP, Michigan
Posts: 2,910
Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/134/135, 52 yo
WOE: LCHF Primal
Start Date: 12/02
Hi Red (and others who might want to chime in): Could you help with my macros? I posted more details on a calorie thread, but I'd love your input here.

I'm 51, 138 lbs, 5'6", wanting to drop a few lbs that I've gained here in Sweden. I've been low-carbing for 10 years, and I exercise a fair bit since I work in the woods and commute to work on a bike (and I love to cross country ski, which is a good thing since it snows 6 months a year here).

I played with the numbers on your first post in this thread and various calculators in the threads and came up with:
Protein 60 g/day
Carbs 20 g/day
Fat: 150 g/day (81% of 1670 calories)

Suggestions for my best grams of each macronutrient each day?

Last edited by tiva; 12-08-2012 at 12:30 AM..
tiva is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 05:20 AM   #618
Senior LCF Member
 
wildflower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Md
Posts: 353
Gallery: wildflower
Stats: SW180/CW180/GL145
WOE: NK
Start Date: Dec 2013
Took a day off from posting, but I read everything. Yesterday was sort of a bad day, mentally, at least. I got on scales and was up 2 lbs. I mean, I've hit my mark everyday for a week and up 2. What's going on?????

OK, I lost my first 40 on low carb, then maintained for many months, I'm old (they say it's harder when older), and its only been a week.

Don't have a meter but strips have been purple-ish so what gives. I feel like I have been having to push the food in to get to my floor 1900 cal. I always meet my protein - 99 and carbs - well carbs, if I count my stevia packets, I'm nearly 50, if I don't, like some folks say on other threads, I'm at 20ish. I changed to liquid stevia yesterday so we'll see if that helps.

I haven't weighed this morning as I wanted to get a bit of coffee in to see if I could drop some weight the easy way.

Oh, and measurements haven't gone anywhere either.

I'm get so excited reading other post after dropping another lb or so of fat. I applaud all of you! Living vicariously through you all!!

Arlene
wildflower is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 05:56 AM   #619
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiva View Post
Hi Red (and others who might want to chime in): Could you help with my macros? I posted more details on a calorie thread, but I'd love your input here.

I'm 51, 138 lbs, 5'6", wanting to drop a few lbs that I've gained here in Sweden. I've been low-carbing for 10 years, and I exercise a fair bit since I work in the woods and commute to work on a bike (and I love to cross country ski, which is a good thing since it snows 6 months a year here).

I played with the numbers on your first post in this thread and various calculators in the threads and came up with:
Protein 60 g/day
Carbs 20 g/day
Fat: 150 g/day (81% of 1670 calories)

Suggestions for my best grams of each macronutrient each day?
It seems a bit low on protein at .98g/kg especially as active as you are physically. Calories look about right since your very active lifestyle tends towards the aerobic (no?).

I'd bump up the protein by 20 to 25g (even as much as 32g) and keep the other two macros the same. That will only push your cals up about 100.

You are/have_been steadfastly LC? No weekly cheats or binges? No handful of nuts 3 times a day type thing?

reddarin is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 06:17 AM   #620
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower View Post
Took a day off from posting, but I read everything. Yesterday was sort of a bad day, mentally, at least. I got on scales and was up 2 lbs. I mean, I've hit my mark everyday for a week and up 2. What's going on?????

OK, I lost my first 40 on low carb, then maintained for many months, I'm old (they say it's harder when older), and its only been a week.

Don't have a meter but strips have been purple-ish so what gives. I feel like I have been having to push the food in to get to my floor 1900 cal. I always meet my protein - 99 and carbs - well carbs, if I count my stevia packets, I'm nearly 50, if I don't, like some folks say on other threads, I'm at 20ish. I changed to liquid stevia yesterday so we'll see if that helps.

I haven't weighed this morning as I wanted to get a bit of coffee in to see if I could drop some weight the easy way.

Oh, and measurements haven't gone anywhere either.

I'm get so excited reading other post after dropping another lb or so of fat. I applaud all of you! Living vicariously through you all!!

Arlene


If you feel like you are forcing yourself to eat then don't eat. But do eat your protein to protect your LBM.

If your appetite forces your calories very low (down to the 1200 to 1300 range maybe depending on your height and ideal weight) then you need to try to get some more calories in - protein first, then fat.

The 2 pounds is almost has to be water weight. Otherwise you were over eating by 1000 calories a day all week long to have gained 2 pounds. Pretty unlikely.

Count total carbs. Don't torpedo your efforts with net carbs and NK.

And remember that once you become keto-adapted, once you are fully switched over to efficient fat fuel burning, well, after that it is simply a matter of finding the right macro combination and calorie level - small easy tweaks. Even if you really did gain a little bit getting there. And don't forget that your gain may reflect regained LBM depending on your protein consumption history.

reddarin is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 06:22 AM   #621
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
NK is total carbs. Atkins and the Atkins approach and many others are net carbs.

I've read one or two of those posts about net carbs and NK and frankly I find their reasoning to be specious.

I mean, really. You have to believe that two physician scientist, about as detail oriented a job description as there can be, simply forgot to say 'net' every time they said 'carbs'? Particularly with they define the amount of carbs to reach NK? Phinney had just co-written the newest Atkins book so it isn't like these men were unaware of the total versus net issue. Who even passingly familiar with LC isn't aware of Atkins and Net Carbs? And the Living book was written specifically for health care providers - another detail oriented field. I passes belief to say that they meant 'net carbs' but never said 'net carbs' in relation to NK.

/rant off
reddarin is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 06:26 AM   #622
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
I took Major Red's advice and backed off the BPC today...had tea instead and less fat. Much less fat (from 83% down to 72% today) and it will be interesting to see what the glucose and ketone meters have to say in the morning. I think the CO and MCT oils were causing stomach distress....just felt "poorly" within a short time after ingesting it. So, took a day off.

My day:

1577 calories
125.3 fat (72%)
27.7 total carbs (7% with 10 fiber)
80.2 protein (21%)

Way different than I've been eating. Should be interesting.
Those numbers look really good to me. I busted my stall at 205 with very similar macros.
reddarin is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 06:51 AM   #623
Blabbermouth!!!
 
paulabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,544
Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower View Post
Don't have a meter but strips have been purple-ish so what gives. I feel like I have been having to push the food in to get to my floor 1900 cal. I always meet my protein - 99 and carbs - well carbs, if I count my stevia packets, I'm nearly 50, if I don't, like some folks say on other threads, I'm at 20ish. I changed to liquid stevia yesterday so we'll see if that helps.
Not sure if 99 is your min or max on protein? But it sounds like it's on the high end. A lot of us over 40 females have found we have to eat at the low range...lots of Phinney's calculations were for athletic males (at least that's my guess! ) I'm 5'2 and stick to 45-60 most days for protein - if I was more active or bigger I'd raise it some.

Also on calories...you don't want to starve yourself BUT if you aren't losing, there's no reason you can't cut your calories with less fat, especially as it looks like you are having trouble eating that many calories.

Just some thoughts.
paulabob is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 06:54 AM   #624
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Darin, I nearly agree with your assessment of exercise/aerobic in nature, and clinical studies show it is not needed for weight loss -- you win!! That said, the firm up process seems to require something...the older I get the less I seem to desire to take precious time to weight train, but preserving muscle is vital, our heart is one too. What to do? Studies do confirm my theory that running/jogging is useless -- the rate of death from it outweighs the benefits, and it shoots your knees to miserable surgery and back! Working on after Christmas to get back on PACE.
I never deny the other health benefits of exercise

I heartily decry the knee-jerk mainstream nutrition zombie dogma that demands it for weight loss
reddarin is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 07:01 AM   #625
Senior LCF Member
 
SouthernGirl61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 462
Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Thanks!!!
one more question, I never get flu shots, got 1 10 years ago and was the sickest ever. What do you reccommend about flu shots. All the daycare parents get them for the kids but I would never let the Dr give the flu shots to my girls.
Thanks Southern girl

I do use non anti bacterial hand soap and always use paper towels with me and the kids. We wash alot. Only use hand sanitizer outside.

thanks again. I really appreciate it. My DD came down with a fever this evening too.
Low grade fever is not an enemy, it's the body response to the invader germs....it is killing them. I do not fight a low grade fever, I let it work. Above 101 can make adults a tad miserable, then I take a tepid bath to cool....if 102 or above I will take one dose of Advil. I do not take tylenol under any circumstances, dangerous stuff! The flu shot is not effective, I realize the news media will try to sell you on it....but it doesn't stop the flu. The first cases hit the news and that's a scare tactic...I do not get a flu shot, if they would remove the mercury from all immunizations we would be safer. I did have my DDs immunized per requirements of the laws, but no more. The Gardisil one pushed me into high gear to make certain my DDs did not fall prey to their GYNs...very dangerous one. Healthcare is about to have a legal issue with those darn flu shots, we are ordered by law in several states, Texas is one of them, to get them if we have patient contact....I object, but since I have SJS, I cannot take them. A win for me, but not for the clinical staff that is not wanting them.

I would add that taking single ingredient over-the-counters can be helpful to relieve symptoms, they will not make the cold go away faster. Benadryl if your nose is running down your face....Musinex no D, is great to get it out and moving during the day, but I would be careful taking at night unless you like staying up watching late night movies! I use the nasal spray plain Afrin only if I cannot lie down and breathe....one squirt usually does it...no more than three nights. That's last resort for me. The issue with multi-ingredient meds is you don't need all the junk in them, and tylenol/advil are in nearly all as well. Coughing is a pain, I use Delsum, plain ole DM...and Ricola SF Lemon are great for sore throat and cough.
SouthernGirl61 is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 07:09 AM   #626
Senior LCF Member
 
SouthernGirl61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 462
Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulabob View Post
Thanks for asking (and thanks to ALL for the supportive comments the last month or two). I am slowly improving. My need to overeat carbs seems to have gone. Have had weird hormonal things happening too that may have been at the root of some of all this (40+ day cycle, then 10 day cycle, crazy right? I'm 43 and understand these things will happen more and more often).

Right now I'm at 138...10 pounds more than a couple months ago, which is about in line with how quickly I gain when I use carbs for a fuel source occasionally.
I am so glad you are feeling better. You are very smart and know your body! 43 and already having issues, ouch. Have you considered getting the FST? It will tell you if your body is transitioning to pre-meno early...I cannot stress the difference in my life the past week with BHRT. It is amazing. But I should have noticed what was happening at 48,49,50...life got in the way of paying attention to me. We are studying now why our kids are getting big too fast, why girls are having TOM too early, like 10,11, and why are their darn feet so big and why are women heading in PM to fast. The link is establishing to hormones in the foods...and too much estrogen will give our sons "metro male" syndrome...soy should be limited for boys. The studies are early, but from our generation to the current one, it's scary. Vegans -- all, but especially males, should read up...and lacking Complex B Vit will hurt them all.
SouthernGirl61 is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 07:11 AM   #627
Senior LCF Member
 
SouthernGirl61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 462
Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
[QUOTE=shelley;16124288]Wow...lots to catch up on. First. Big congratulations and celebration for the downward trend to return to Buffy!


SG...I did Bikram yoga 3 times a week for a long time, and then we moved. There was a studio here and I joined and then they went out of business. Guess not enough people liked the hard workout and the heat! ha ha

Note about flu. I'm with Cheryl on having one flu shot and having a bad ill reaction. I have never had the flu, but what I do is always have a box of oscillococcinum on hand. It's my life saver. And I've given it to people who are sick and they recover quickly. Love the stuff (for flu prevention!!)

I keep boxes of Oscillo at work, in the car, in the house! Two kinds, cold and flu version. IT WORKS. Thanks for mentioning.
SouthernGirl61 is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 07:12 AM   #628
Senior LCF Member
 
SouthernGirl61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 462
Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiva View Post
Hi Red (and others who might want to chime in): Could you help with my macros? I posted more details on a calorie thread, but I'd love your input here.

I'm 51, 138 lbs, 5'6", wanting to drop a few lbs that I've gained here in Sweden. I've been low-carbing for 10 years, and I exercise a fair bit since I work in the woods and commute to work on a bike (and I love to cross country ski, which is a good thing since it snows 6 months a year here).

I played with the numbers on your first post in this thread and various calculators in the threads and came up with:
Protein 60 g/day
Carbs 20 g/day
Fat: 150 g/day (81% of 1670 calories)

Suggestions for my best grams of each macronutrient each day?
Welcome!
SouthernGirl61 is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 07:14 AM   #629
Senior LCF Member
 
SouthernGirl61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 462
Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower View Post
Took a day off from posting, but I read everything. Yesterday was sort of a bad day, mentally, at least. I got on scales and was up 2 lbs. I mean, I've hit my mark everyday for a week and up 2. What's going on?????

OK, I lost my first 40 on low carb, then maintained for many months, I'm old (they say it's harder when older), and its only been a week.

Don't have a meter but strips have been purple-ish so what gives. I feel like I have been having to push the food in to get to my floor 1900 cal. I always meet my protein - 99 and carbs - well carbs, if I count my stevia packets, I'm nearly 50, if I don't, like some folks say on other threads, I'm at 20ish. I changed to liquid stevia yesterday so we'll see if that helps.

I haven't weighed this morning as I wanted to get a bit of coffee in to see if I could drop some weight the easy way.

Oh, and measurements haven't gone anywhere either.

I'm get so excited reading other post after dropping another lb or so of fat. I applaud all of you! Living vicariously through you all!!

Arlene
Hi Arlene, that darn scale ruins another day! Don't let it have power over you. Even 20 somethings may need to give the body time to adjust. I had to back off coffee, add protein to help.
SouthernGirl61 is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 07:15 AM   #630
Major LCF Poster!
 
tiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: UP, Michigan
Posts: 2,910
Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/134/135, 52 yo
WOE: LCHF Primal
Start Date: 12/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
It seems a bit low on protein at .98g/kg especially as active as you are physically. Calories look about right since your very active lifestyle tends towards the aerobic (no?).

I'd bump up the protein by 20 to 25g (even as much as 32g) and keep the other two macros the same. That will only push your cals up about 100.

You are/have_been steadfastly LC? No weekly cheats or binges? No handful of nuts 3 times a day type thing?

Thanks, Red.

Oh no, I've certainly been guilty of carb creep over the years, usually lots of nuts, too much cheese, or too many veggies. I'm gluten intolerant, so grains aren't ever a temptation. When I gain a few lbs, I usually catch it with a couple days of a meat or fat fast. When I got to 46, that stopped working as well.

The protein range seems so broad in the Phinney calculator, but I'm guessing the best approach is to try different options--60, 75, even 90 grams/day.

My main concern is that I've played games with my metabolism over the years by eating very low calories to drop a few pounds now and again. The past few weeks I've been averaging 1200 calories a day, which is too low. I'm tired of being hungry, but I'm worried about gaining again. Coconut oil doesn't make me gain, so I'll add that back in for the fat and the calories.
tiva is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:50 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.