Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 01:24 PM   #421
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Snoangel
Stats: 214/135/139
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
That makes sense. The poster said it was awful, I don't know why we want to know so badly...I guess to avoid it.

Any body else just NOT hungry today? I ate half of my breakfast and have no desire to eat anything else...
Me!! I had three eggs with some cheese and sour cream and could barely eat it. Hmmmm

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #422
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: Vegetarian Moderate Carb~9/2014
Start Date: (Juddd 2010-2011)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alizgurl View Post
Me!! I had three eggs with some cheese and sour cream and could barely eat it. Hmmmm
This is what it's all about, yes? By golly it's true.

Do any of you use LC foods that "mimick" other foods, like peanut butter bread or almond bread? Coconut flour for biscuits, or almond crust for a SF cheese cake? Just wondering how or if these things fit into NK, If anyone uses them regularly without a slow down or maybe it's better for emergency treats? i would love to see some "typical" daily menus if anyone wants to share?
Old 12-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #423
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wildflower
Stats: SW180/CW180/GL145
WOE: NK
Start Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
I not sure I'd have ever been brave enough to try HWC and soda pop if not for Buffy and Deborah talking about it back in October (I think). So dang tasty heh.

Be sure to try it with Coke Zero!!!! So awesomely excellent!!! Deborah told me about that one and it is by far my favorite so far!
I'm wondering tho -- I had the Pepsi Max with 2 T of HWC last night around 10:00 -- Definitely helped with my calories and fat -- BUT, my BS reading this morning was 114 -- usually 80-90. I always have higher readings in the morning if I have some carbs. SO, could it have been the aspartame in the soda. I've read it spikes bs.

Geez, am I gonna have to cut out diet soda? I'll post my numbers for yesterday on a later post. Got some granddaughter pants to take in. She's tall, but slim...
Old 12-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #424
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:

Do any of you use LC foods that "mimick" other foods, like peanut butter bread or almond bread? Coconut flour for biscuits, or almond crust for a SF cheese cake? Just wondering how or if these things fit into NK, If anyone uses them regularly without a slow down or maybe it's better for emergency treats? i would love to see some "typical" daily menus if anyone wants to share?
Most food like that is only LC if you count net carbs.

I don't see why you couldn't use whatever you want as long as you keep your total carbs low and adjust as you go.

I don't eat that stuff generally because I do not want the temptation to over eat on some tasty LC friendly food. Like not having almonds in the house.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #425
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower View Post
I'm wondering tho -- I had the Pepsi Max with 2 T of HWC last night around 10:00 -- Definitely helped with my calories and fat -- BUT, my BS reading this morning was 114 -- usually 80-90. I always have higher readings in the morning if I have some carbs. SO, could it have been the aspartame in the soda. I've read it spikes bs.

Geez, am I gonna have to cut out diet soda? I'll post my numbers for yesterday on a later post. Got some granddaughter pants to take in. She's tall, but slim...
There are several people that track their BG on our thread so we'll have to wait for them to weigh in and help us out - I have no idea.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #426
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

Pepsi Max has a lot of caffeine. I don't know if caffeine affects BG readings.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #427
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
i have a recipe for waffles that work great for sandwiches. very fatty!!
Old 12-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #428
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tablis
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Quote:
What is that?
Yipes Leave the computer screen for a few hours and now I'm around
3 pages behind!! I'll never catch up today

BBC is bullet proof coffee with a typo
sorry for the confusion............
Old 12-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #429
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Quote:
Any body else just NOT hungry today? I ate half of my breakfast and have no desire to eat anything else...
Breakfast and lunch were okay but I just threw away my dinner. Can't remember the last time I did such a thing. I will be seriously short on p and cal today.

I think my taste buds are changing too.

Last edited by cici52; 12-05-2012 at 02:18 PM..
Old 12-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #430
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
I track BG and BK, have never had the diet sodas raise my levels, but I guess it is a YMMV type of thing. If I were you, I would try it again in a few days and see what happens.

As far as using the foods that mimic higher carb foods, I do use them, and really don't have a problem with overeating them b/c, I don't have much of an appetite these days, and b/c they are high fat, usually high protein, they tend to be very filling. AND, even if they are pretty good, I have never made anything yet that I wanted to sing to the angels about . But, they fill a need for me when I want a cookie, or cake like thing. I have no idea if they slow or hinder my weight loss, I lose slowly anyway. If I ever go a month without eating any of them, I guess that might tell the story. Like Red said, I do keep in mind the total carbs when I eat those things. It is kind of a decision on whether you want to hit it hard and strict and perhaps see quicker losses or take it easy and more casually with the possible result of slower results. Health reasons are my priority so I in in the easy and more casual group. Vanity comes in a poor second.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #431
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Quote:

Hope the diet soda is not a problem. I haven't had soda for years but the rootbeer float has been my treat since giving up the wine.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #432
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
i have a recipe for waffles that work great for sandwiches. very fatty!!
Woo hoo! Can you post it here? There is a recipe for almond bread, made with almond butter, eggs, and not much else. I would imagine even total carbs would be pretty low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablis View Post
Yipes Leave the computer screen for a few hours and now I'm around
3 pages behind!! I'll never catch up today

BBC is bullet proof coffee with a typo

sorry for the confusion............
No kidding! I start everyday three pages behind, but I'm glad it's here! Ooooh, BPC. I must be the only one who took to buttered coffee like a duck to water. I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Breakfast and lunch were okay but I just threw away my dinner. Can't remember the last time I did such a thing. I will be seriously short on p and cal today.
I know, it's very weird for me to feel like this. I'm kinda one of those people who can always eat., except for now. I may get to eat a few macadamias if this keeps up. I hope you get your protein in Cici. I think I might be able to eat bacon, if I had any...and someone cooked it for me.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Old 12-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #433
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alizgurl View Post
Red the prosciutto with cheese is soooo yummy!! small cream cheese balls mixed with olives and wrapped in prosciutto would be devine in my book
OMG Oceana -- to die for!!! Well, not really die!
Old 12-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #434
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
No word on the mysterious BBC yet
I want to know what BPC and BBC mean?

OK -- I continued reading and got my question answered. Thanks

Last edited by wildflower; 12-05-2012 at 02:43 PM..
Old 12-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #435
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45;16119569
[I
It is kind of a decision on whether you want to hit it hard and strict and perhaps see quicker losses or take it easy and more casually with the possible result of slower results. [/I] Health reasons are my priority so I in in the easy and more casual group. Vanity comes in a poor second.
Buffy I think I want to hit it hard and strict, I have been...but i worry a little about deprivation. I haven't had a glass of my favorite Pinot Noir in 11 days, I really want this WOE to work. It's nice to know that some things can be added in as long as the total carbs are counted. I'm not really in a hurry but I do want to know I'm progressing. I thought I would give it a solid two weeks before trying a glass of Pinot. I agree, vanity comes in 2nd to health.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #436
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: risajs
weight loss

Hi all -

I wanted to check in and share some great results with ya'll. I have finally hit my stride in ketosis (morning numbers above 1.0). In the last month I have lost 9 lbs. As many of you know, on a traditional low-calorie low-fat diet, for every lb lost generally 75% is from fat and 25% is lost lean body mass (lower levels of carb intake = less loss of lean body mass).

Well, I had my body composition tested again today and 100% of my weight loss was from fat!!! I retained every bit of lean body mass since my last assessment.

Moreover, this was accomplished with absolutely NO exercise. Not that I would advocate for that, but working out masks weight loss for me - I gain muscle easily and retain water easily. As soon as I lose my last 10 lbs, I will restart my exercise regime to gain more muscle and definition.

I am pretty pumped about this!!
Old 12-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #437
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Okay, I gotta skee-daddle. No telling how far behind I'll be by tomorrow morning!

Thanks all for the great posts!
Old 12-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #438
Senior LCF Member

OK - pants for granddaughter taken in. My biggest issue doing that on my machine is threading the needle. It used to have an automatic threader, but it broke -- oh well: My stats from yesterday:

Cal: 2111 (1977-2307)
Fat: 178 (75.8%)
Pro: 109 (20.6%) went over by 10g
Car: 19 (3.6%)

Better than Monday but this morning had a 1 lb gain. I know, Red -- patience. Guess I need to eat more fat but sometimes it is sooo hard to get it all in.

Went to water aerobics this am and ended up missing a quarter of the class cause I got a calf cramp. Hurt like the devil. I'm not dehydrated so what else? Instructor said to eat a banana before class, but am pre-diabetic plus -- all the carbs. Need to find another way to get more potassium to see if that helps. Otherwise a great day!

Everyone is doing so well - I'm jealous but am also super happy cause I know one of these days, I'll hit the jackpot!!!

Arlene
Old 12-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #439
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
ok, so my waffle recipe is a tweaked version of 'betty r's amazing waffles'

3 eggs
1 brick cream cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup almond flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp lemon juice

throw it all in a food processor...no appliance subs will work. whirl it till thick and smooth. cook in waffle maker. pancakes won't work with this....at least i have read they won't.

i make a double batch of these at a time.

according to my food tracker here are the numbers (for 7 waffles):

each waffle
cals: 264
protein: 11
fat: 23
carbs (total): 3
Old 12-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #440
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 148.4/142.4/130
WOE: HDE/FF
Quote:

I love SF cheese cake muffins for great grab & go lunches. It's a pretty typical recipe you’ll find around these parts. My version:
1 pound cream cheese
1 egg
¼ Cup Sweetener (I use Splenda.)
1 teaspoon Almond Extract
16 drops Capella Chocolate Flavoring (I’ve also used a couple tablespoons of Chocolate Torani Syrup)
Let cream cheese and egg come to room temp. Blend all ingredients; divide into six paper lined muffins. Bake at 350 for 20 min. Cool slightly, carefully remove from tin and allow to cool completely.
149 Calories, 14.5 grms Fat, 4 grms Protein, 2 grms Carbs

And I have a recipe for very easy cheese crust pizza that goes great with a salad for dinner.
Pan Fry 1-1/2 oz cheddar cheese until golden, turn to set and then turn off heat, move to foil.
Top with a tablespoon of dried tomato pesto, 3 sliced black olives and 9 grms mini pepperoni.
Pop in the toaster oven to crisp the pepperoni a bit, but watch close, easy to burn at this point.
292 Calories, 27 grms Fat, 11 grms Protein, 2 grms Carbs
Old 12-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #441
Blabbermouth!!!

Try hard to get to goal but if you just cannot eat then don't make yourself sick over it. If you have a lot of days like that then you need to try very hard to get your protein in.

Essentially, we are all n of 1 experiments so you have to tweak the broad parameters to fit your individual metabolism while keeping in mind the generalities about macros, calories and LBM.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #442
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Terri and Dazy! Thank you, both recipes sound yummy and fairly easy.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #443
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yeah I know, I'm still here...like moth to a flame.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #444
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 148.4/142.4/130
WOE: HDE/FF
Quote:
Yeah I know, I'm still here...like moth to a flame.
You dare not step away for a moment, you'll miss too much
Old 12-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #445
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Morning all sounds like all of you are doing a great job!
I say my lowest this morning 163.6
Was very busy yesterday I get to set up my stuff at a consignment store that will be open in jan.want cost me anything cause I'm going to work one day a week for her for free so a win for her and me now I get to go back to auctions makes me happy
Congrats on the weigh in!

Quote:
Buffy I think I want to hit it hard and strict, I have been...but i worry a little about deprivation. I haven't had a glass of my favorite Pinot Noir in 11 days, I really want this WOE to work. It's nice to know that some things can be added in as long as the total carbs are counted. I'm not really in a hurry but I do want to know I'm progressing. I thought I would give it a solid two weeks before trying a glass of Pinot. I agree, vanity comes in 2nd to health.
I'm on my second glass of Pinot Noir tonight The Pinot Project, have you ever tried it? SO SMOOTH. I could never stick with a way of eating that didn't allow me wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risajs View Post
Hi all -

I wanted to check in and share some great results with ya'll. I have finally hit my stride in ketosis (morning numbers above 1.0). In the last month I have lost 9 lbs. As many of you know, on a traditional low-calorie low-fat diet, for every lb lost generally 75% is from fat and 25% is lost lean body mass (lower levels of carb intake = less loss of lean body mass).

Well, I had my body composition tested again today and 100% of my weight loss was from fat!!! I retained every bit of lean body mass since my last assessment.

Moreover, this was accomplished with absolutely NO exercise. Not that I would advocate for that, but working out masks weight loss for me - I gain muscle easily and retain water easily. As soon as I lose my last 10 lbs, I will restart my exercise regime to gain more muscle and definition.

I am pretty pumped about this!!
Awesome! Way to go with the loss! I have stopped running for the time being because 1. My knee hurts and I think I might have an IT injury, and 2. It makes me RUNGRY.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #446
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Well, I am home after a stressful day. Enjoying a couple glasses of wine. Was a good day overall.

Macros:
1613 calories/120g fat/28g carbs/55g protein/30g alcohol
66%F/14%P/7%C/13%A

We will see how this reflects on the scale tomorrow, I also had a cup of bouillon today and that always seems to bump me up.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #447
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
Start Date: 10/24/12
[QUOTE=

I had to laugh at the macadamia indulgences. I bought a jar yesterday and last night I ate 3. Whole. Macadamia nuts. I was actually scared to death I'd eat the whole jar, so I got out three and put the jar away and wouldn't let myself back in the kitchen. They were delicious. I also purchased a liter bottle of AW root beer and had nice float w/ HWC. Yum!
[/QUOTE]

That's really funny!
Old 12-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #448
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Well, I am home after a stressful day. Enjoying a couple glasses of wine. Was a good day overall.

Macros:
1613 calories/120g fat/28g carbs/55g protein/30g alcohol
66%F/14%P/7%C/13%A

We will see how this reflects on the scale tomorrow, I also had a cup of bouillon today and that always seems to bump me up.
I love Pinot Noir. I told myself two weeks without and then give a try. I would really hate to give it up altogether. Do you find that it makes you hungry? Not that I'm worried about that.....much.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #449
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
That's really funny!
I'm glad it made you laugh! I may have three more tonight!!
Old 12-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #450
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
Start Date: 10/24/12
Quote:
When I started LC at 265, in jeans I was wearing a very tight 46 that probably would have been a very tight 48 if I hadn't worn them for so long. So I needed to be wearing a 48 at least and probably a 50 to actually be comfortable.

So, from 48-50 down to a 33 today

Wow. God Bless Gary Taubes for writing Why We Get Fat and Dr. Davis for writing Wheat Belly and Dr. Phinney for LC Living.

I went from 48-50 to the 34s in about 6 months? Maybe 8 months. I'd have to check my log to be sure but I know it was well under a year before I slipped into the 34s and did a happy dance.

I still have a stupid pot belly but it is small enough that I can suck in my gut and see what I'll look like at goal weight. That also jazzes me sometimes - that I can actually suck my gut in again lol.

If quantum physics were true LC'rs would have already reshaped reality with positive vibes ala The Lathe of Heaven. Prosecution rests.

That's great Red- very encouraging!
Closed Thread