Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #301
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Snoangel
Stats: 214/135/139
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: July 2010
Buffy that chicken broth looks so easy! I was afraid of making my own but now I have to try it! Thanks so much!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #302
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: brandilynn1313
WOE: Ketogenic/Nutritional Ketosis
I also save up all our carcass bones in the freezer, and when I fill a gallon zip top bag up, I plop them in the crock with some cut up celery and salt and slow cook it overnight. As long as I have a crock full of bones (all kinds of bones, I use) then it turns into a nice gelatin.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #303
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by alizgurl View Post
I did help catch them out in the bay tho. Lots of fun!!
Heck yeah! Free shrimp!
Old 12-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #304
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Broth is so easy to make and I have never found a boughten one that had nearly the flavor. But, I have to say, adding the butter really helps with flavor too.

The worst part is separating all the chicken from the itsy bitsy bones, cartilage, etc. but it is worth it. And, the boiled chicken souns boring but is quite good after simmering in the buttery broth and with plenty of salt and pepper.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #305
Blabbermouth!!!

I too am inspired to make broth because that really does look so easy. Have to get a stock pot... hmmm seems like I have a stock pot somewhere around here.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #306
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
BTW Red, how has your BP been doing?
I haven't checked it in a while but the last several times I checked it was always under the 'quick get a priest' level.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #307
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
I haven't checked it in a while but the last several times I checked it was always under the 'quick get a priest' level.
You are walking on thin ice you know!! High BP means strokes, heart attacks, etc., etc., etc.

I need to get mine checked, still a little puzzled that I have a headache today with having had the steroid shot and taking zrytec. I forgot to have them check it yesterday when I got my shot. It probably is high today because of the steroid shot.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #308
Blabbermouth!!!

If they find me slumped over the laptop I hope I was in the middle of writing something extraordinarily witty
Old 12-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #309
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Quote:
I couldn't remember off the top of my head so I looked it up. I'm so glad you asked because it is so interesting and very, very important.

Page 19 or location 458

"Salt deprivation leads to lightheadedness, fatigue, headache, and malaise."

Here is the part you are talking about, on page 20 or location 476: "High carbohydrate diets make the kidneys retain salt, whereas a low carbohydrate intake increases sodium excretion by the kidney (called 'the natriuresis of fasting')."

Red, this makes so much sense! I have been getting ALL those side effects around 2:30 everyday.. thought I was having a heart attack, then thought it was due to lack of protein. The salt explanation makes so much sense.

Quote:
You know, that thing about losing LBM because of the sodium and potassium dynamic has another implication.

If you are thinking you are protected because you exercise, It makes the type of exercise you are doing inordinately important. If it isn't resistance, if it isn't building muscle mass, then you are not treading water, you are in the same leaky boat as the non-exercisers only you'll be more baffled than us couch potatoes
Don't athletes need MORE protein than usual, even if they eat carbs, since they sweat it out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post

I am also referring to my food log from a month ago- when I felt like I was on track- and plan on sticking pretty close to what I did then.
I am due for TOM soon, so I won't be weighing myself until that's done w/so I don't get doubly depressed

congrats on the losses Becky and Tablis (I feel like I'm missing someone...)

Red- question- my protein is supposed to reach in the 70s, and I want to keep my calories on the lower side (~70%ish), but I seem to have a hard time getting my macros at 85/15/5...my protein has been closer to 20% and fat around 83%, but that is w/out my protein even getting to the 70s...what am I doing wrong?
Stay away from the scale! Know how you feel, I gain about 8 pds during TOM I think red stated earlier its kind of impossible to get your macros around 90 unless you're sacrificing protein. Am I right?

Todays macros:
1628 calories/80%F/15%P/5%C
Old 12-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #310
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Don't athletes need MORE protein than usual, even if they eat carbs, since they sweat it out?
Dunno. He may address that aspect of sodium requirements in the athlete oriented Performance book though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Stay away from the scale! Know how you feel, I gain about 8 pds during TOM I think red stated earlier its kind of impossible to get your macros around 90 unless you're sacrificing protein. Am I right?
Only if you are using 1.5g/kg for your protein calculation. If you are sculpting your body and using a fine tuned approach with the Peformance formula then it may be different.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #311
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kateenie
For bone broths, I use a big stock pot that came with a "pasta" insert that is really a giant strainer. Plop bones, celery, etc. in and then just pull out the inner pot and the broth is ready! Good thing, since I don't cook pasta in it
Old 12-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #312
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Oceana.....love your photo, even if it's fuzzy!!! You are so darned cute!!! Can I adopt you?
Old 12-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #313
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kateenie View Post
For bone broths, I use a big stock pot that came with a "pasta" insert that is really a giant strainer. Plop bones, celery, etc. in and then just pull out the inner pot and the broth is ready! Good thing, since I don't cook pasta in it
Oh my gosh what a GREAT idea!!!!! I have one of those pots and forgot all about it as I never cook pasta anymore. Thanks!!!!!
Old 12-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #314
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wildflower
Stats: SW180/CW180/GL145
Start Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablis View Post
I still haven't caught up on all the action on this thread over the weekend but I just wanted to report that is wk 6 day 2 for me and I went down a bit more for a total of 7lbs! I guess it really is working. I've been stalled for so long that I kept thinking this can't be real loss, it has to be a lava lamp phenomenon... but by 7 lbs I think some of this has to be real.

Thanks everyone for all the help and support!
Congrats! That's great
Old 12-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #315
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Oceana.....love your photo, even if it's fuzzy!!! You are so darned cute!!! Can I adopt you?
Awe thanks Shelley! Yes you can, I'm up for adoption
Old 12-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #316
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
Isn't it cool, sg61?
Yes it is!
Old 12-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #317
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
Start Date: 10/24/12
Oh, Thank G-d, I did good today!!! No mac nuts!!!! I had steak and salad for lunch, egg salad for a snack, and cc w/cheddar and olives w/coffee and hwc for a dinner-ish snack. My calories were at around 1600, protein at 70- Macros were 79/18/3

i have to take the day step by step, but I'm proud of myself
Old 12-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #318
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Question!!Did y'all no there is sugar in our toothpaste ,when I was on NK under a dr.care she told me that,she said to use Toms toothpaste.just thought I tell y'all that to funny,we're you can find sugar.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #319
Senior LCF Member

Hello to all! Hope your day was great. It rained, jumps of joy!
Hi Arlene! I struggle to eat enough (this is still funny to me!)...today I made an extra effort to take snacks around with me, tomorrow I will try to remember to actually eat them!
Buffy, yea for injections! I am up for two-three nights after one. Drives me batty. Remember steriods make us eat like maniacs!
Hi Cheryl! Please describe this "triple baconator"...my my! Yeah on Vit C!!! Yeah on your number too! Got the pic, oh my, it's at Wendys?
Boy Darin, you speak the truth! Takes time for our bodies to do what our brains are demanding! Math is cool...as long as you don't feel the need for geometry...the only good in that mess is hanging wallpaper!!! Your lungs may still need to hack up stuff, I get those sugar free ricolas when that happens. Down to 60G??? OMG, I couldn't run much on that. Ouch. I am considering upping to 3TB in March...have to keep incredibly large files; back 7 years for audit from our wonderful friends in Washington! As long as the fun installs don't blow and stall, sounds like interesting diversions from otherwise boring Win7! I am stuck in the Enterprize world...but I can change my set-ups daily and enjoy a bit of fun, then at midnight, it blows away and I start over.
Hi Mizz! I hated statistics!!! That was my last class in college. Ahh, another blooming audit person?? Remember that most companies don't hire on perfect GPAs. Breathe, breathe, breathe. Ask yourself if this stress will matter in a year, five, or ten!
Hi Deborah!
Hi Tablis! How are you doing today? Yep, driving causes my right numbness too. When I am leaning and not realizing what I am doing....or long drives. I would think anything is possible, and certainly changing our diets in this way alters minerals if you aren't supplementing yet to optimal levels. I stopped worrying that I had a cardiac issue and just found ways to get the arm/hand/foot/leg to cooperate. I am about 15 years with this thing...sometimes it's okay, sometimes it's bad. 600 Mag is okay. D3 is fine too, especially for winter. Vit C in my opinion is still low in "sick season"...but you know what you need. 7 lbs down is really great! The potassium supplement is up to you...but we all need it daily. Calculate what you get in foods, that is the best way to get it. If you are taking medications, you need to check first that you will not have a counter issue with supplementing, call the nurse or doc or Pharmacist. I have LBP too, no problems with that with 2 99 mg a day for me. Gluconate is fine.
Hi Becky! Wow, you didn't get much to eat did you? But you are down, that is good.
Blonde, did you forget the Vit C !!! It is so good for us, immunity, heart health, reduction of abnormal cells. So glad you are getting a bit better. At night, put some of that Vicks stuff on the bottom of your feet, add socks, and it should help relieve the stuffy nose. (yes really)
Dazy/Red/Terri, the salt issue must be more for NK than LC. I never had issues with getting enough on my many years of LC...but I have had to increase it a lot on NK. Added potassium supp too. I use pink sea salt, to get extra minerals.
Hi Terri!
Oceana, look at that cute pic! Love the boots!
Newbies, Buffy's broth is absolutely wonderful! It's a staple at our house now!
Hi Cici. Oh we start parties tomorrow night. I love/hate them. I just tell them all I am allergic, that puts a plug in it....(which I really am!)
Hi Shelley! That is wonderful. Makes me want to prick my finger! Maybe not...thinking on this part. Great news on the loss. I am soooo happy for you.
Sophie, sounds like a good plan. Keep to the protein! I had to stop almonds as they trigger me to forget numbers.
Brandilynn, nuts are just addictive. But since I found that making mac nut butter doesnt spur me on, I grab a teaspoon and walk with it. Amazing, must be a texture issue.
Great idea Kateenie on the broth. I use a "netting for spices" if there are little bones, works great.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #320
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Another tip for our newbies. For a treat, a lot of us love diet soda floats. Pour half a can of diet soda, root beer is very good, zero coke very good, fango orange, either of these over the ice, add 1-3 T of HWC, then fill up with rest of soda. Yummy goodness. If I am craving fruit, I will do the orange.
I been wondering how to do this. A question - do you whip the cream? and is the ice important? Other than making it good and cold! My ice machine is broken so no ice...

Thanks,
Arlene
Old 12-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #321
Big Yapper!!!!

No, don't whip the cream, just pour it in, and the ice is just to keep it good and cold, I don't add much ice and you really don't need it.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #322
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alizgurl View Post
Awe thanks Shelley! Yes you can, I'm up for adoption
Oh Goody!!!! Send the paperwork quick so that the others don't "get you" first!!!!
Old 12-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #323
Senior LCF Member

SG...you take such good care of everyone else with your responses/comments.

How are YOU doing?!?!?!!?
Old 12-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #324
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That is a great looking avatar too Oceana. Is it a bit fuzzy or is it my eyes? There are enough of us older people on the thread to have AARP contact you if you post fuzzy pictures on purpose to make us wonder if our eyes are getting worse.

Yea for AARP!!
Old 12-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #325
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
No, don't whip the cream, just pour it in, and the ice is just to keep it good and cold, I don't add much ice and you really don't need it.
Thanks Buffy -- I have some Pepsi Max and HWC -- gonna go try it!!

Oh, oh, tried it and it is awesome! And I got to try the root beer and the orange and....!!!!!

Last edited by wildflower; 12-04-2012 at 07:38 PM..
Old 12-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #326
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
SG...you take such good care of everyone else with your responses/comments.

How are YOU doing?!?!?!!?
I read very quickly, I have three computer screens at work, two at home, and I open a epad note to run track down on the right side while I read....that way I can read, respond and roll down. Reduces the go back and forth, unless I find a recipe!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #327
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
I read very quickly, I have three computer screens at work, two at home, and I open a epad note to run track down on the right side while I read....that way I can read, respond and roll down. Reduces the go back and forth, unless I find a recipe!
Wow I was wondering if you had two screens cause you're so great at responding to each and every one of us. It's very thoughtful and I know we all appreciate it very much
Old 12-04-2012, 10:32 PM   #328
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tablis
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Hi Tablis! How are you doing today? Yep, driving causes my right numbness too. When I am leaning and not realizing what I am doing....or long drives. I would think anything is possible, and certainly changing our diets in this way alters minerals if you aren't supplementing yet to optimal levels. I stopped worrying that I had a cardiac issue and just found ways to get the arm/hand/foot/leg to cooperate. I am about 15 years with this thing...sometimes it's okay, sometimes it's bad. 600 Mag is okay. D3 is fine too, especially for winter. Vit C in my opinion is still low in "sick season"...but you know what you need. 7 lbs down is really great! The potassium supplement is up to you...but we all need it daily. Calculate what you get in foods, that is the best way to get it. If you are taking medications, you need to check first that you will not have a counter issue with supplementing, call the nurse or doc or Pharmacist. I have LBP too, no problems with that with 2 99 mg a day for me. Gluconate is fine.
Thanks for this! How much vitamin c do you recommend? I caught a cold actually from DD so maybe I need more Yes this leg thing had me worried about circulation but I had my veins/ateries checked and the specialist said it was not related to circulation. He recommended orthotics actually, which I got ($$) but they didn't help. BTW- sometimes I had it in my arms too in the middle of the night but not often. Another time that it happens is on plane trips. But my leg was ok again yesterday so i'm thinking its something about this WOE/supplements that helped. I'm not stopping these supplements any time soon that's for sure! I looked at ****** and really my potassium is low. so I guess I'll VERY carefully begin the potassium.

Last edited by tablis; 12-04-2012 at 10:46 PM..
Old 12-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #329
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Question!!Did y'all no there is sugar in our toothpaste ,when I was on NK under a dr.care she told me that,she said to use Toms toothpaste.just thought I tell y'all that to funny,we're you can find sugar.
Good to know!!
thanks
Old 12-04-2012, 10:34 PM   #330
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
Oh, Thank G-d, I did good today!!! No mac nuts!!!! I had steak and salad for lunch, egg salad for a snack, and cc w/cheddar and olives w/coffee and hwc for a dinner-ish snack. My calories were at around 1600, protein at 70- Macros were 79/18/3

i have to take the day step by step, but I'm proud of myself
nice!
i love steak and salad, so filling... how do you season your steak?
Closed Thread