Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 09:37 AM   #271
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Attachment 47408

It was at wendys. First time I ever heard of it.
I dreamed about it last night.
YUM

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #272
Big Yapper!!!!

Red, glad to see your are getting the NK back under control. I am so happy for you on quitting smoking, it will be well worth this little setback on your WOE.

I can probably help you with the computer issues you are having, here, try this:

Did that fix it? If not, please hold for 45 minutes until I can get tech support to help you.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #273
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Quite the buzz going on here today.

Well, I navigated my first holiday brunch and stayed true to NK. Not without a couple comments from well meaning ladies. Everything but the fruit salad and cheese plate had wheat and I have a ready made can't eat wheat excuse. Just nibbled on a generous portion of cheese and coffee and delicately ate the egg custurd from the quiche after checking with the cook regarding hidden thickeners. So hopefully am still on track.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #274
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Attachment 47408

I have never heard of it as we don't have Wendy's where I live. Looks wonderful though!!
Old 12-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #275
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Red, glad to see your are getting the NK back under control. I am so happy for you on quitting smoking, it will be well worth this little setback on your WOE.

I can probably help you with the computer issues you are having, here, try this:

Did that fix it? If not, please hold for 45 minutes until I can get tech support to help you.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:20 AM   #276
Senior LCF Member

OK...I finally have good news! I was .6 on the ketone reading this morning so I finally got over .5! I did the "new macros" that Major Red gave me...higher calories, more protein, more fat, and still kept my TOTAL carbs to under 20...usually they are about 12. I also finally saw a really nice 1# drop on the scale, so I can happily report that I am finally lower than my starting weight from late August! I have 1.6# more to lose and I'll be at the lowest weight of 2012 for me. But not the lowest in the last 2 years, so that's where I'm heading, I hope. I think upping the calories (hard to do!!!) and upping the protein to the 1.5 P/V range seems to have been the key, and 2 cups of BPC was very helpful to get in more fat without relying on fat bombs (i make them without cocoa).

Buffy...thanks for reposting the broth recipe...don't know how I missed that, but love the idea. I have several frozen whole chickens in the freezer.

Tablis....7# total loss is wonderful! I'm glad you are finally also seeing a turn around on the scale. It has taken me over 3 months, so we are finally on the right track. And, I also have low BP and didn't do well with the potassium supplements that have been so highly recommended. I'm taking one every 3rd day and that seems to be okay. Buffy and I had not so great feelings taking it regularly. We are all different, so just go slowly.

Re: pill cases. I have 2 of the long ones that hold lots of pills (not the round ones that only hold a couple. I live with them and they are by my seat at the table. I have the AM ones and the PM ones. Can't live without them. I would never remember if I took what I needed. I refill them once a week. Easy!

People are doing great! I won't "respond" to each as it makes it too long and there is so much going on and so many of you are doing great. PC it's great you are home and losing what you gained (I knew you would...WE knew you would!!!) and Deborah...so good to have you back posting!!!!!
Old 12-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #277
Senior LCF Member

OOops.....shame on me....Major Red...I'm so glad that you have kicked the cigarettes and that is such a wonderful thing....and now you are craving foods and I so hope that you have a new appreciation for the "tastes" that perhaps are stronger for you. You, like Becky, will get right back on track as you both know how to do it. Thank you again for giving me my new macros....it's working!!! :-)
Old 12-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #278
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 143.7/138.7/130
WOE: HDE/FF
Quote:
If some of our newbies have missed my broth "recipe?", here it is.

Take a 8 qt souppot, throw in a whole chicken or the parts to equal at least one chicken and fill pan with water. Put in lots of sea salt and pepper. To this I add at least 1/2 lb butter and let it simmer on the stove all day. Simmering slowly will not boil off your water, which you want to keep, if it gets a little low, add some more hot water. Then, dip out all the chicken and bones, pull that meat off and store, I put mine in bags of 4 oz and strain your broth. Put in freezer containers. It is high fat, strong, salty broth.

Another tip for our newbies. For a treat, a lot of us love diet soda floats. Pour half a can of diet soda, root beer is very good, zero coke very good, fango orange, either of these over the ice, add 1-3 T of HWC, then fill up with rest of soda. Yummy goodness. If I am craving fruit, I will do the orange.
Thanks Buffy! Those are two new great recipes this newbie will enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post

Well, I navigated my first holiday brunch and stayed true to NK. Not without a couple comments from well meaning ladies. Everything but the fruit salad and cheese plate had wheat and I have a ready made can't eat wheat excuse. Just nibbled on a generous portion of cheese and coffee and delicately ate the egg custurd from the quiche after checking with the cook regarding hidden thickeners. So hopefully am still on track.
Sometimes I think people feel so guilty for their gluttony they are just over compelled to critique everything you put in your mouth. Why should they care?
Sorry rant over.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #279
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:

Good job, and I always remind myself that I can come home and eat some LC goodie that I have at home.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #280
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriMM View Post
Thanks Buffy! Those are two new great recipes this newbie will enjoy!

Sometimes I think people feel so guilty for their gluttony they are just over compelled to critique everything you put in your mouth. Why should they care?
Sorry rant over.
Welcome Terri.

Also, people are always on the outlook for the newest or latest woe to lose weight, so, if they see you have lost weight, or are eating a little differntly, they are quick to question you to see if you have found that magic woe. Unless they are the pushy ones who try to get you to eat off plan and to be honest, I hardly ever run into that, but, being diabetic, I just say I am type 2 and they back off fast. I always tell my DD's that if someone tries to push food at them to just say that diabetes runs in our family and I am doing all I can to avoid it. If people try to push food on anyone else, they don't deserve the time it takes to make them back off
Old 12-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #281
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Hello guys!! I over did the mac. nuts yesterday- not b/c I was hungry- just had a desire to eat them :-( (the salty fattiness- yummmmm). I am staying away from them for the time being. I am also switching up my menu a little. I normally eat eggs and/or cheese for breakfast (late breakfast) and meat/chicken for dinner. I keep kosher, so I don't eat meat and milk together- and I wait 6hrs after eating meat before I eat dairy again. So, my thinking is- eat the meat first- then I have a semi-forced window of not eating half of what I would normally eat. I don't know if this makes much sense, but it seems to in my head- I need to create clear delineations in my meal times to get back on track- as opposed to just snacking all day. For my first meal today, i had 5 oz of a fatty delish steak. A small salad and some olives. I am not hungry (yay), now I just need to keep busy and my head off of the food. I feel like I'm the only one struggling to stay w/in my range and not over- I have been consistently over 2200 cals several days recently (my max is around 1800)...don't mind me- just venting

I am also referring to my food log from a month ago- when I felt like I was on track- and plan on sticking pretty close to what I did then.
I am due for TOM soon, so I won't be weighing myself until that's done w/so I don't get doubly depressed

congrats on the losses Becky and Tablis (I feel like I'm missing someone...)

Red- question- my protein is supposed to reach in the 70s, and I want to keep my calories on the lower side (~70%ish), but I seem to have a hard time getting my macros at 85/15/5...my protein has been closer to 20% and fat around 83%, but that is w/out my protein even getting to the 70s...what am I doing wrong?
Old 12-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #282
Big Yapper!!!!

Sophia, don't sacrifice protein to get your fat that high, 85% is ok but not always needed. I have the same problem, getting enough protein before I go over on fat and calories. For me, the fat fills me up so much that I don't want to eat other things like meat that I need to push up my protein. I am cutting back on the amount of CO in my morning coffee, I was getting 4 T but then would find myself not wanting to eat anything until evening. JMHO
Old 12-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #283
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Snoangel
Stats: 214/135/139
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
That's a normal fluctuation. You're not really up unless it doesn't go away in a few days. You're doing great!
This was really great to hear Deborah! Thank you!
Old 12-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #284
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh, and Sophia, I know I am the same person who kept telling you to eat more fat to fill up on, LOL.

Tweak, tweak we go as we creak along
Old 12-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #285
Big Yapper!!!!

Me guesses that Red is buried under programming, partioning, etc.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #286
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Me guesses that Red is buried under programming, partioning, etc.

thanks for the support Buffy- as far as I understood- if I want to lose weight, then I need to keep my fat consumption lower. But, I shouldn't eat less than protein requirements. My problem is not not being hungry eating the protein- I could do that easy peasy. I just want to try and keep my fat grams lower. I did skip the HWC in my coffee (so far today)
Old 12-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #287
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: brandilynn1313
WOE: Ketogenic/Nutritional Ketosis
Macadamia nuts (well, all nuts except hemp seed) make my face hungry. I get the baby bird face and all I do is think about them and my mouth wants to stay open in hopes of more nuts being dropped in.

Boo.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #288
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablis View Post
editing to say- I remember why else I was hesitant to take it - bc of the blood pressure lowering affect. I already have lbp. But (information overload!) I think I may have read someplace here that it is not a concern....?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Just FYI~ I currently take a "potassium sparing" BP RX. I've been warned NOT to supplement or even use "light" salt products. Just in case someone here is doing the same and hasn't heard this.
Always be real careful about your specific health conditions and medications. Even if you told me, or anyone, about it.

HBP and LBP are very serious conditions!

Old 12-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #289
Big Yapper!!!!

BTW Red, how has your BP been doing?
Old 12-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #290
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriMM View Post
Red, we were also wondering if something else in processed food might be the culprit, like nitrates or MSG for instance.
I'd say a qualified yes. I haven't read anything about it but that just means I haven't read anything about it.

It might be really hard to actually find anything about that because most of it is high sodium and as soon as anyone sees that bam that is blamed. Rightly so for high carbers which is most of the world.

But it could have been something else. Some perfectly fine LC stuff makes some people stall while others can eat it without a problem. Some LC stuff may make someone's BG spike but not other people.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:01 PM   #291
Blabbermouth!!!

Catching up on the thread. Had to step away from the computer for a few hours
Old 12-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #292
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Some days the higher sodium makes me retain and some days it doesn't, think it is part of us ladies wonderful hormonal swings we have to put up with.
Exactly so. Not the sodium per se but the sodium + x.

Quote:
If some of our newbies have missed my broth "recipe?", here it is.
This recipe is lacking directions to your house and whether or not mugs are provided.

Quote:
Take a 8 qt souppot, throw in a whole chicken or the parts to equal at least one chicken and fill pan with water. Put in lots of sea salt and pepper. To this I add at least 1/2 lb butter and let it simmer on the stove all day. Simmering slowly will not boil off your water, which you want to keep, if it gets a little low, add some more hot water. Then, dip out all the chicken and bones, pull that meat off and store, I put mine in bags of 4 oz and strain your broth. Put in freezer containers. It is high fat, strong, salty broth.
that 1/2 pound of butter reminded me of Mr. Buffy's butter buying errand lol

Mr. Buffy: Young man, where is the butter aisle?
Employee: At the back by the milk sir. Did your wife tell you exactly what to get?
Mr. Buffy: [smiling] No, she just said to get the least expensive.
Employee: Uh oh [walking away]
Mr. Buffy: [rounding the corner on the butter aisle] That was stra...OMG!!! There must be 20 brands!!!
Old 12-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #293
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandilynn1313 View Post
Macadamia nuts (well, all nuts except hemp seed) make my face hungry. I get the baby bird face and all I do is think about them and my mouth wants to stay open in hopes of more nuts being dropped in.

Boo.
so true for me!
Old 12-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #294
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alizgurl View Post
Haha Buffy it was only for 6 people so there was plenty of leftovers! I'm just assuming they thought more people were coming.
The shredded looking dish was spaghetti squash w/ bacon and mushrooms

Today I'm eating the left over steak

I'm up 1.4 today. I drank soooo much water yesterday and it's like it all stayed in me! I also ate kung pao chicken two days in a row :/ and some 90%
chocolate. So today I'm going to keep it simple, I want my energy back.

Hope everyone is having a great morning!!
I'm still half asleep (at work)
I see that amazing looking shrimp didn't seem to make it to the table heh

I've read on the forums that you have to be real careful of Chinese food for carby sauces.

That is a great looking avatar too Oceana. Is it a bit fuzzy or is it my eyes? There are enough of us older people on the thread to have AARP contact you if you post fuzzy pictures on purpose to make us wonder if our eyes are getting worse.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #295
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Attachment 47408

heh

Ah, that bacon thing. I don't think I have had it yet but I love the way Wendy's is very LC friendly! If you ask for it bunless they put it in a togo container to make it easy to eat. I heard their chili is LC friendly too but I'd double check that.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #296
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Take a 8 qt souppot, throw in a whole chicken or the parts to equal at least one chicken and fill pan with water. Put in lots of sea salt and pepper. To this I add at least 1/2 lb butter and let it simmer on the stove all day. Simmering slowly will not boil off your water, which you want to keep, if it gets a little low, add some more hot water. Then, dip out all the chicken and bones, pull that meat off and store, I put mine in bags of 4 oz and strain your broth. Put in freezer containers. It is high fat, strong, salty broth
That is a really simple recipe! Thanks for reposting it.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #297
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

lol
Old 12-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #298
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

Excellent! Awesome job Cici!
Old 12-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #299
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
I have never heard of it as we don't have Wendy's where I live. Looks wonderful though!!

Good Lord. Dial up internet and no Wendy's. It is like that movie 'Frequency'.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #300
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Snoangel
Stats: 214/135/139
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
I see that amazing looking shrimp didn't seem to make it to the table heh

I've read on the forums that you have to be real careful of Chinese food for carby sauces.

That is a great looking avatar too Oceana. Is it a bit fuzzy or is it my eyes? There are enough of us older people on the thread to have AARP contact you if you post fuzzy pictures on purpose to make us wonder if our eyes are getting worse.

Thank you and yeah I think it's a lil fuzzy because I'm sitting so far away from the camera (phone)

Yeah I bet eating that two days in a row knocked me out of ketosis, that's why I feel like crap today!

Oh and I'm surprised I didn't eat more than one shrimp! I did help catch them out in the bay tho. Lots of fun!!
Closed Thread