Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Testing Blood Ketones? Post your results here!

A place to post your blood ketone results.

I test daily at this point and this morning my ketones were .5.

Okay, but not great. My goal is to be above 1.5 every morning. I'm in maintenance and trying to gain LBM. Eating maintenance level of calories and low to mid-range protein per the Performance book. I think that my protein and higher calories are probably keeping me from seeing really high ketones.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
I test daily as well. First thing in the AM before eating or drinking anything. I usually fall between 0.5 and 1.5 at the highest, I keep wanting it to be higher, but am not sure if that really makes any difference as far as weight loss goes. I already have plenty of appetite suppression.

I haven't felt very well this week with sinus and allergy problems and yesterday, I didn't eat anything after 11:00 AM, just wasn't hungry and had such a headache I didn't feel like fixing anything. This morning my ketone reading was 2.0. I still have to admit, I don't understand this whole thing but did wonder if this meant I was definitely burning BF since there was no dietary fat to burn? Also, another couple of times this past week when my readings were higher, I had eaten mac nuts the night before, so then assumed it was high from burning dietary fat. Can't wait for more books and or reading materials to come out on NK so I can understand it better
Old 12-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tablis
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Well i can't wait to get my meter and start tracking this stuff.
Thanks guys for sharing your results
Old 12-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
I test daily as well. First thing in the AM before eating or drinking anything. I usually fall between 0.5 and 1.5 at the highest, I keep wanting it to be higher, but am not sure if that really makes any difference as far as weight loss goes. I already have plenty of appetite suppression.

I haven't felt very well this week with sinus and allergy problems and yesterday, I didn't eat anything after 11:00 AM, just wasn't hungry and had such a headache I didn't feel like fixing anything. This morning my ketone reading was 2.0. I still have to admit, I don't understand this whole thing but did wonder if this meant I was definitely burning BF since there was no dietary fat to burn? Also, another couple of times this past week when my readings were higher, I had eaten mac nuts the night before, so then assumed it was high from burning dietary fat. Can't wait for more books and or reading materials to come out on NK so I can understand it better
I agree, it would be great to have more information! I have come to believe that the lower your total calories while in ketosis the higher your ketones will be. Is it from burning dietary fat vs. body fat? Does it mean you'll lose more weight? I'm really not sure. This is just observation from my own testing.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: wrigglycate
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Mid October 2012
morning ketone levels

These are my morning ketone levels for almost the last 2 weeks. I've lost about 4 lb since I started this WOE back in October but the weight loss has really been in this last 2 weeks when I was able to reduce my calorie intake to around 1100 (that's my goal) and I started working out more with a personal trainer. I seem to be very comfortable now in ketosis. Overall I'm pleased with the appetite control that I've experienced, and general feeling of well being -- my carb flu days are now a distant but very unpleasant memory. Looking back through my diet tracker --- my highest ketones were 4.0 once in the evening. Prior to the end of November, I was mostly posting levels between 0.2 and .09 so I've been firmly in Ketosis since about Nov 26.
I really need to start an excel spread sheet just to organize my data. I'll do one for AM and one for PM (although with night shift I'm not sure how relevant that will be ). I've also been tracking my glucose levels and they range from 69 to 113 mg/dl. I'm about to start a 6 night stretch of night shift so it will be interesting to see what my BK and BG levels look like at the end of that (Broken daytime sleep and less sleep overall).
My personal trainer would like to see a bit more protein in my diet so I might experiment with dropping the fat a bit and increasing the protein. Or I might wait a week as I will already be changing the parameters with continuous night shift so maybe I should keep everything else the same for just a bit longer.
This has been very helpful posting the data.

2.1 Dec 5
3.2 Dec 4
2.1 Dec 3 after working all night
2.4 Dec 2
2.3 Dec 1 after working all night
2.4 Nov 30
3.2 Nov 29
2.8 Nov 28
1.1 Nov 27
2.3 Nov 26
1.0 Nov 25
0.2 Nov 24
Nov 23 did not test in the AM
0.4 Nov 22 after working thanksgiving eve 11 pm - 7 am

Last edited by wrigglycate; 12-05-2012 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 12-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for posting this wrigglycate! How much protein are you eating now and how much are you going to increase it by? How did you come up with 1100 calories as a goal?

I have all my ketone data in excel and it's so helpful!

Good luck with the shift change. It will be interesting to see if it effects your ketones.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
Wow, wrigglycate, that's impressive! I'd like to be able to test that consistently, to get a real idea of what works and doesn't.

I just got back to testing after a week off (ToM - no point in testing, since I seem to come out Lo on the Novamax at that point.) After checking out the ketosis calculator from another thread, I'm upping my protein just a bit to 75 (from 64), so I tested this morning to see if it's working. Came out at 7.0. Which of course brings up the question, how high is too high? I know over 3.0 gets diminishing returns, but I'm hoping there's not a danger point.

Now my scale needs to move...
Old 12-05-2012, 08:28 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks for posting Wrigglycate, I do wish we could all test for a reasonable amount of money as it is both interesting to watch those numbers and reassuring to know whether something truly knocks us out of ketosis or not.

MerryKate, wow 7! I have never even seen 3 and as a diabetic, anything over 3 is dangerous but I have no idea where that upper level would be for a non-diabetic.

I have to be content if mine is over 0.5 and most of the time very happy if it is over 1.0. Seems I can get it a little higher if I eat mac nuts the night before but is that then measuring my ketones or dietary fat burning?

So much yet to learn about all this.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
Wow, wrigglycate, that's impressive! I'd like to be able to test that consistently, to get a real idea of what works and doesn't.

I just got back to testing after a week off (ToM - no point in testing, since I seem to come out Lo on the Novamax at that point.) After checking out the ketosis calculator from another thread, I'm upping my protein just a bit to 75 (from 64), so I tested this morning to see if it's working. Came out at 7.0. Which of course brings up the question, how high is too high? I know over 3.0 gets diminishing returns, but I'm hoping there's not a danger point.

Now my scale needs to move...
I wonder if that was an off reading? It seems quite high, I think the highest I ever tested was around 4. The chart in the Performance book has that in the starvation zone.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

I have decided to try and lose a few more pounds before Jan 1 and see if I can increase my blood ketone readings. I am slightly lowering protein and have cut out about 400 calories of fat/day from my maintenance amounts.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:14 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: wrigglycate
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Mid October 2012
Hi Kristn
I have to admit I haven't been very scientific about calculating my nutrients. My Personal trainer came up with 1150 cal / day for weight loss and that seemed fine with me as I've lost successfully before on that amount so I rounded it down to 1100 just because there is always a fudge factor. The difference I'm noticing is that I seem to be way less hungry at this level than in the past when I was eating Paleo with less fat and more protein.
I plucked a goal of total protein out of the air after reading through the threads and set it at 40 g then I played around with my weight tracker goals until it coughed up a goal of
Fat 98g (80%)
Protein 41g (15%)
Carbs 14g (5%)
The iPhone app (but not the desk top version) of my particular tracker (google "nutrition tracker" and it's the third one down) has a nice little pie chart that gives me a daily summary or a weekly summary of my percentages so for the week of Nov 26 my averages were
77% fat 14% protein and 9% carbs. Since that seems to be working for now I'll stick with it and then maybe up my protein a tiny bit more in a week or so.
The thing is, I've never been so systematic with my weight loss before --I'm totally geeking out with all these tools available to me.
I did find my dunking test from April of this year and from February of last year so with my lean body mass information at some point I will sit down and use the formulas outlined here in the various threads.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:22 AM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Well Kristn, you look fantastic in your vacation pictures but if you are going to try to lose a few more, you know we will be here to cheer and support you!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Buffy. I actually feel pretty good and could live with where I am. But I think a few more pounds off of my thighs would make me feel a lot happier when I hit five-oh in a month and it doesn't feel like such a stretch right now.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: manuela_w
Stats: 262/240/220
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: November 2012
I don't have exact numbers, but I did a test two days ago and they were pretty high (medium purple on the scale). However, I gained two pounds since yesterday. Who knows!
Old 12-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Today was .4 Yesterday was .6 and I wanted it higher, so I reduced protein and it didn't work! ha ha ha to me
Old 12-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Today was .4 Yesterday was .6 and I wanted it higher, so I reduced protein and it didn't work! ha ha ha to me
My experience has been that any change in my macros takes 2+ days to register consistently on the meter.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuela_w View Post
I don't have exact numbers, but I did a test two days ago and they were pretty high (medium purple on the scale). However, I gained two pounds since yesterday. Who knows!
Are you also testing blood ketones? Sadly the scale lies from day-to-day but over time hopefully you'll see a loss.

And just being in ketosis doesn't guarantee that you'll lose. I've been maintaining in ketosis for 3 months eating lots of fat and enjoying myself.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
I wonder if that was an off reading? It seems quite high, I think the highest I ever tested was around 4. The chart in the Performance book has that in the starvation zone.
Oh, I hope not....but I was definitely not starving. ;D I'll check it again tomorrow morning.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
My experience has been that any change in my macros takes 2+ days to register consistently on the meter.
Thank you Kristn!!!!!!
Old 12-06-2012, 06:47 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Myles
.3 again today. *Punch wall*
Old 12-06-2012, 07:00 AM   #21
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
And for me, a lot longer....
Old 12-06-2012, 07:39 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolash View Post
.3 again today. *Punch wall*
Myles--I saw your post about the Indian food. Do you think that you stayed within your goals for protein and carbs for the day? Especially the carbs with that eggplant, tomato, and onion dish. Those are pretty carby vegetables.

My advice would be to be super strict until you get into consistent ketosis. Then play around with the carbs and protein if you want to. Even one day off may mean that you're starting from scratch again.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Subbing!
Old 12-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Ketones:
12/5: 1.1
12/6: 1.0

I hope to be consistently above 1.5 by next week.

MerryKate--how was your reading today?
Old 12-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
Start Date: 10/24/12
ketones today were 1.4. I am really grateful that my ketones have been pretty consistent- I hope to be able to keep them that way.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:49 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Myles--I saw your post about the Indian food. Do you think that you stayed within your goals for protein and carbs for the day? Especially the carbs with that eggplant, tomato, and onion dish. Those are pretty carby vegetables.

My advice would be to be super strict until you get into consistent ketosis. Then play around with the carbs and protein if you want to. Even one day off may mean that you're starting from scratch again.
well i was still .3 this morning, so i wonder if i would have been lower if it had affected me negatively? I guess there is no way to know for sure. I have been more strict since we talked earlier in the week, and i hadnt planned on eating any indian food, so i had about very little of the indian food - and filled on on my fatty steak (which i weighed) - so i dont think i went over my carbs

sophie and kristn - do you guys have menus anywhere posted of wghat you've been eating?
Old 12-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
well i was still .3 this morning, so i wonder if i would have been lower if it had affected me negatively? I guess there is no way to know for sure. I have been more strict since we talked earlier in the week, and i hadnt planned on eating any indian food, so i had about very little of the indian food - and filled on on my fatty steak (which i weighed) - so i dont think i went over my carbs

sophie and kristn - do you guys have menus anywhere posted of wghat you've been eating?
A typical day for me is:

1-2oz HWC (in coffee)
2oz cream cheese
3-5oz green olives (throughout the day)
1.5oz cheddar

the above is usually breakfast

a snack of 2-3 hard boiled eggs w/1-2T homemade mayo

Dinner is usually:
3oz romaine lettuce w/ either 1T mayo or 1T olive oil
4-6 oz of dark meat chicken/fatty steak/salmon (depending on overall protein consumption up to this point and which protein I'm eating will determine how much protein).

This is usually around 1500-1600 calories.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

I always remember Kristn harping on eating cream cheese, and I always knew she was in ketosis...so when i adopted this WOE, i focused on getting cream cheese everyday...that may or may not have anything to do w/ketone levels. Incidentally, CC has high fat, mod. protein, and low carbs and (I hear) a perfect food for a fat fast. I have been known to eat 8oz of CC in a day...
Old 12-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

cool thx for that, it's helpful to see. I also try to eat cream cheese everyday, i love it, and its really good with jalapenos both pickled and fresh. one of my specialties is Jalapaenos stuffed with cream cheese, cheese blened, and bacon.

(really old pic, the fish is just some locally smoked goldeye)

Old 12-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

My typical weight-loss menu is hidden in this post.

Have you checked out this thread: Daily Menus-High Fat/Moderate Protein/Low Carb? Lots of good ideas!
Closed Thread