Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #241
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Drat....why do I double post??? Sorry

Last edited by shelley; 12-16-2012 at 11:43 AM..

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #242
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
Good morning everyone! So I have decided to focus less on NK and more on what i was doing before, but following Atkins Induction guidelines. I think the higher fat just doesn't work for me- I don't think I can eat the right amt....it seems to be too much. I also found that I was always craving more protein. So, I'm upping my protein to what Atkins suggests. I will still check my ketones and try to stay in ketosis. I ate more carbs yesterday- it was about 27 total (under 20 net) and my ketones were at 1.1 this a.m. I'm interested to see if they stay there or if they slowly drop down. I'll be watching my fat consumption- eating about 4-5T of solid fats a day (olive oil/homemade mayo). Cutting out the CC and HWC for now, and probably only having about 1oz of hard cheese a day. I'll still hang around here cuz I seem to like all of you :-) and I'm still trying to stay in ketosis. I'm hoping this will at least get me back down to where I was weight wise. I'm getting my blood test tomorrow, so I'm curious what that will come back as...
Oh Sophie...you are so not alone in your thoughts and what you are doing. After my meeting Friday with the trainer/nutritionist, we are doing the same thing with me. Lowering fat, raising protein a bit and adding in more fibrous low glycemic veggies. I too have gained in the last nearly 4 months of doing this and am rarely in NK. So, as others have said, this is not for everyone. It's not working for me and the high fat makes me "hurt" to have so much in my body. I have eliminated the fat bombs, cream cheese clouds and coffee/tea with butter and MCT oil. I'm back at nearly an Atkins induction as well (although that also didn't get me anywhere), but at least I didn't feel "funny" with all that fat. I don't think my body wants to get into, and/or stay in NK, so you're lucky you at least were able to get there! The nearly 2# I lost after gaining 3 is back and so I'm up a total of nearly 3# since starting this "experiment" on myself, and am "stalled" at the UP 3# stage. Not fun.

I have 4.5 boxes of ketone strips which will just stay in the dark closet until I figure out if I need to go back to doing this or not. But I'm also stopping, and am reading and staying up to date on everyone. So....thanks for your post. At least I don't feel like such a failure if it's not working for you either (even though you ARE in ketosis!!!)
Old 12-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #243
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
I wanted to mention that in the Performance book Dr.s Phinney & Volek give wide ranges of all three macronutrients so that people can find their own correct levels. The emphasis is on personalized nutrition and using testing to refine intake. What they recommend is getting the correct levels for the individual that both gets you into ketosis and (if it's your goal) helps you to lose weight. This will be different for everyone! So raising protein, lowering fat, and even increasing carbs are strategies that can be employed under the NK umbrella. If you've given your current plan a solid chance (don't give up after only a few days) and it's not working then it's time to think about making changes.

However, it is also likely that ketosis is not the right goal for everyone. Some people do not feel well in ketosis or they find that spending too much energy on the secondary goal of getting into ketosis doesn't help them to reach their primary goals of fat loss and/or LBM gain.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 12-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #244
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
I appreciate the support guys! And, I agree Kristn- I have read both of Phinney and Volek's books as well as the New Atkins book- and as much as I hear from others that the WOE's are different- I didn't see that. New Atkins jives quite a bit w/what phinney and volek say in their books. There are some small differences- but nothing extraordinary.

I just want to say that I already feel better- I ate way more protein these last 2 days than I have been- and my head isn't in the food as much- that mental obsession of when i can eat what I can eat, etc. My hunger is leveling out- go figure- more protein and less fat. I stalled out w/this WOE at 136- but that is over 10lbs less than where I am now. I would love to get back down there. I don't know what I'll do once i get there, but I guess I'll worry about that then (hopefully it will happen :-) )

you guys are great- thanks!

Oh, and Shelley- we can go it together and compare notes!
Old 12-17-2012, 03:21 AM   #245
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Myles
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
This thread may be useful to you: Impatience Killed The Cat .. or Why To Stop Obsessing and Tweaking ... I think if you decide what you want to do and really stick with it you will see success. But you have to really give it a good effort (weeks without going off plan) before deciding that it doesn't work. I know that you are impatient, but the people who really lose lots of weight and keep it off are the people who have a long-term vision and don't get caught up in the daily fluctuations or search for the next new thing. Success comes from plugging away and sticking to your plan--whatever that is.
i am sticking with it, but the weight is the same. I have stopped weighing myself and testing myself everyday because its making me crazy and i'm tired of seeing the same thing every day. The thread you linked is cool, and i get it - stick with it. But even in the 2 month chart, that person has lost 5ish+ lbs even with fluctuations. When i re-started June 25th, between then and now i've definitely gone 2+ months straight LCHF'ing without faltering but have not lost 1 lb in the 5ish months it's been.

To counter your point - Einstein said: Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Something has to change for me in order to achieve results. I don't know what tho, that's what i'm trying to figure out.

<3

Old 12-17-2012, 05:02 AM   #246
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Myles, I understand your frustration. I have been stalled for over 2 yrs.. N.K. seems to be finally working for me but it has taken since June. In October I stopped slowly regaining weight and then to start losing some of that weight. I am now very close to my 'stall weight'.

I tell you this because I think n.k. is particularly good for those that are very 'weight loss resistant'. It is not a woe that is easy to get right. We need to find out what works and doesn't work by paying close attention to our macros which of course means weighing, measuring and logging and doing the same thing for long periods of time to determine the results.

In my readings over the yrs. I have come to understand that I suffer from metabolic disease and it is likely reversible but it may take a very long time. The best thing to do is continue to eat a well formulated low carb, moderate protein and high fat woe with the best and quality affordable foods available (organic, grass fed etc).

It may appear to be 'doing the same thing and getting the same results' but if you are paying really close attention, I am pretty sure you will begin to notice things other than weight loss that are improving. It is a long process but then again, it took a long time to get this damaged.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Last edited by clackley; 12-17-2012 at 05:04 AM..
Old 12-17-2012, 05:12 AM   #247
Senior LCF Member

ok, so the past 2 days, I have eaten pretty close to what I was doing before NK (less fat, more prot- but still w/in range of phinney/volek), only this time I am focusing on the carbs closely- trying to keep them under 30g so I can still remain in ketosis. I was up to 149.8 3 days ago- today...drum roll please....147.0!!! yayayayayay. Ketones are holding at 1.1- so all in all- I'm happy! The only cheese I have had the past 2 days is 1 oz of cheddar- no hwc or cc. I guess I need more protein than the 50-70 i was aiming for. I am getting closer to 100g of protein. I also can't have as much fat- I am now averaging 65-70% fat. I will be curious to see if I can get below my stall weight with these tweaks- I wasn't focusing on staying in ketosis when I was stalled last. I also hope that I can stay in ketosis now that my carbs are gonna be higher.

I hope everyone has a good day. I'm off to get my blood test for my thyroids and Vit D- I'm secretly hoping my thyroids aren't optimized (maybe an explanation for not losing easily perhaps??)
Old 12-17-2012, 06:16 AM   #248
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolash View Post
i am sticking with it, but the weight is the same. I have stopped weighing myself and testing myself everyday because its making me crazy and i'm tired of seeing the same thing every day. The thread you linked is cool, and i get it - stick with it. But even in the 2 month chart, that person has lost 5ish+ lbs even with fluctuations. When i re-started June 25th, between then and now i've definitely gone 2+ months straight LCHF'ing without faltering but have not lost 1 lb in the 5ish months it's been.

To counter your point - Einstein said: Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Something has to change for me in order to achieve results. I don't know what tho, that's what i'm trying to figure out.

<3

Good morning Myles!
This is the first post that I saw from you in the NK forum on December 3rd:

Quote:
I started trying this NK experiment on Monday. Today is a week later. Yesterday and today were the first days i have fully tracked everything that went into my mouth. Currently i am 324 LBs - Yesterday was 3094 calories, 277g fat, 103.9g protein, 43.2g carbs making it a 81/14/6 day - that was 3 meals and a snack. I looked at that and thought that it was possibly too much protein AND carbs
So according to this post you've really only been trying this plan for 3 weeks, and tracking and trying to get your macros down to the correct level for 2 weeks. Even within that time you've posted that you haven't been sticking to the plan 100%.

People have reported that it takes them 2 weeks or longer to get into ketosis when using the meter to track. You may just be one of the stubborn ones.

My advice is to start today, track everything, and eat 100% clean and within your protein and carb allowances for two weeks--keeping carbs low and protein on the lower end.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:22 AM   #249
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
ok, so the past 2 days, I have eaten pretty close to what I was doing before NK (less fat, more prot- but still w/in range of phinney/volek), only this time I am focusing on the carbs closely- trying to keep them under 30g so I can still remain in ketosis. I was up to 149.8 3 days ago- today...drum roll please....147.0!!! yayayayayay. Ketones are holding at 1.1- so all in all- I'm happy! The only cheese I have had the past 2 days is 1 oz of cheddar- no hwc or cc. I guess I need more protein than the 50-70 i was aiming for. I am getting closer to 100g of protein. I also can't have as much fat- I am now averaging 65-70% fat. I will be curious to see if I can get below my stall weight with these tweaks- I wasn't focusing on staying in ketosis when I was stalled last. I also hope that I can stay in ketosis now that my carbs are gonna be higher.
Sophie! Congrats on the loss and the ketone reading. I also wonder if dairy is a problem for you? A lot of us eat a very dairy heavy diet on this WOE and I know that doesn't work for everyone. I'm so glad that you're finding something that works for you!!

Quote:
I hope everyone has a good day. I'm off to get my blood test for my thyroids and Vit D- I'm secretly hoping my thyroids aren't optimized (maybe an explanation for not losing easily perhaps??)
It will be interesting to see the outcome of these tests. Whatever the results, it's one more piece of the puzzle.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:25 AM   #250
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning all!

Ketones this morning: .5
Days over .5: 9
Weight: 145 (down .4)

How is everyone else doing?
Old 12-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #251
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Good Morning!
Ketones this morning 1.0, BG 79.
I lost another 1/2 lb.

I have had the best weight loss this past couple of weeks that I have had since starting NK, except for the beginning when I lost a lot of water weight very quickly. I was high carb before starting so that was to be expected. Since then it has been slow going, but I have stuck to it and once I got in ketosis, have stayed in it continously since then, dropping to 0.3 only twice, and this is testing first thing in the AM when ketones test the lowest.

I guess my point is that perhaps this WOE is not for everyone and also, from being on the boards a LOT since I started, everyone's body handles it a little differently. But, it does seem to be a slow loss for most people and takes some tweaking to get things right for you. And, some are so metabolic damaged that it might take months to get your body fine tuned to lose. If there is another plan that allows you to lose easier, quicker with no LBM loss, then that might be the one for you. If none of them give you that, I encourage you to stick to this, especially is you are able to do it eating well, getting enough to eat, and at least maintaining. One book stated it might take some people 5-6 months to adapt. Since my first goal was health, my diabetes and BP control, I wasn't so impatient with the slow weight loss but still that is a goal as well and I get very excited to see the scale drop.

Sophie and Shelley, please stick around, what you are doing is important to us, as you both are and we want to hear what is or isn't working for you. Myles, I think Kristn gave you some great advice, I agree, start over with basics and try to keep it simple until you can firmly get and stay in ketosis.

I think another key to this puzzle is blood sugar readings and insulin spikes. The lower and tighter I can keep my BS, the better my weight loss.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #252
Senior LCF Member

Buffy and Sophie...I'm not going anywhere, and I'm continuing to eat LC, but with less fat than before and a bit more carbs(veggies/salad) and protein than before. Like Sophie, deciding all the fat wasn't working for us, I had a 1# loss overnight, but am still higher than where I began. I still don't feel "well" in my gut, but I assume it will take a while for my body to use the fat I ingested.

My B/G readings are all over the place. I ordered the accuchek compact one that you recommended, Buffy, and paid for the meter "kit" which was to include teh 17 test strip drum...it did NOT come with the kit so I sent it back. I'm waiting to order another one to be able to see how far off the NovaMax is on glucose (we know it's bad). My readings have ranged from 83 to 125 on the Nova max in a first thing in the AM fasting states (using 2 different meters/same drop of blood).

I have to keep on keeping on...and I'm just going to try different macros to see what will work for me. Not going to test ketones as it seems wasteful for me to keep testing to get .2 and .3 readings most of the time, and now having less fat and more carbs will no doubt make it worse, so will just stick with the plan and do the scale and tape measurer. Just because I don't post does not mean I'm not reading and sticking to "a" plan...trying to find what works best for me. But no worries about me going OFF plan with naughty things! :-) I will post when I have something to say and/or have comments (like Sophie's upcoming tests!!! Woo hoo to her getting them done!)
Old 12-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #253
Senior LCF Member

OH..and BIG wooHoo's to Buffy for getting below her goal for the end of the year. Great achievement! Take a bow!!! You sure deserve it!
Old 12-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #254
Big Yapper!!!!

Sophie, I forgot to comment on this, will be glad for you to get your test results back.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #255
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Myles
Quote:
Good morning Myles!
This is the first post that I saw from you in the NK forum on December 3rd:

So according to this post you've really only been trying this plan for 3 weeks, and tracking and trying to get your macros down to the correct level for 2 weeks. Even within that time you've posted that you haven't been sticking to the plan 100%.

People have reported that it takes them 2 weeks or longer to get into ketosis when using the meter to track. You may just be one of the stubborn ones.

My advice is to start today, track everything, and eat 100% clean and within your protein and carb allowances for two weeks--keeping carbs low and protein on the lower end.
Kristn, I've been eating low carb since June 25th (5+months), but have only attempted NK (just lower protein and more fat and still the same low carb) for 3 weeks or so, that's right.

Thx for the advice.
<3

Last edited by Myles; 12-17-2012 at 02:14 PM..
Old 12-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #256
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Buffy and Sophie...I'm not going anywhere, and I'm continuing to eat LC, but with less fat than before and a bit more carbs(veggies/salad) and protein than before. Like Sophie, deciding all the fat wasn't working for us, I had a 1# loss overnight, but am still higher than where I began. I still don't feel "well" in my gut, but I assume it will take a while for my body to use the fat I ingested.
I'm glad that you're sticking with us! I know that you'll find the right balance to help you feel well and lose weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Good Morning!
Ketones this morning 1.0, BG 79.
I lost another 1/2 lb.

I have had the best weight loss this past couple of weeks that I have had since starting NK, except for the beginning when I lost a lot of water weight very quickly. I was high carb before starting so that was to be expected. Since then it has been slow going, but I have stuck to it and once I got in ketosis, have stayed in it continously since then, dropping to 0.3 only twice, and this is testing first thing in the AM when ketones test the lowest.
Woo hoo Buffy!! Congratulations on the loss!!

Quote:

I think another key to this puzzle is blood sugar readings and insulin spikes. The lower and tighter I can keep my BS, the better my weight loss.
I think this is significant and not to be overlooked, especially for people who are type II diabetic.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #257
Senior LCF Member

Congrats on the new low Buffy!!
Old 12-18-2012, 05:26 AM   #258
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Sophie! Congrats on the loss and the ketone reading. I also wonder if dairy is a problem for you? A lot of us eat a very dairy heavy diet on this WOE and I know that doesn't work for everyone. I'm so glad that you're finding something that works for you!!

It will be interesting to see the outcome of these tests. Whatever the results, it's one more piece of the puzzle.
Dairy could be a problem for me, but I was stalled for 1 1/2 yrs w/out eating any dairy at all.
I did up my dairy intake a lot with this Woe, which i did b/c dairy is one of the easiest and tastiest things to get good fat w/lower portein.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:49 AM   #259
Senior LCF Member

Ketones dropped to 0.6 this a.m. I did keep carbs below 30 total and 17g net, but I ate more tomatoes than I probably should have. I'll focus on eating more green veggies- less yummy sweet juicy tomatoes to see if that will bring my ketones back up to safer waters.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:59 AM   #260
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Ketones dropped to 0.6 this a.m. I did keep carbs below 30 total and 17g net, but I ate more tomatoes than I probably should have. I'll focus on eating more green veggies- less yummy sweet juicy tomatoes to see if that will bring my ketones back up to safer waters.
Did you feel good about your total intake yesterday? The ketones could just be a blip on the radar.

Have you read the latest blog post from Richard David Feinman, Hunger. What it is and what you can do about it? It gave me some things to think about regarding hunger. I have to remember that the hunger I feel on LC and NK isn't the same kind of hunger I used to feel when eating low-fat--it's much less urgent and more of a feeling of wanting more, but if I wait it will usually pass. Anyway, I thought it was an interesting article.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:07 AM   #261
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone!
Ketones this morning: .9
Days over .5: 10
Weight: 146 (up 1 lb)

I just have to get used to the bouncing scale in maintenance. Up a pound, down a pound. As long as I'm in the range I'm happy.

I have a work luncheon today that is off-site. They usually have a pretty good LC selection (it's a yearly meeting) but I haven't been to this meeting while trying to keep my protein low in NK. My plan is cheese and salad which I think will be sufficiently low in protein and carbs for lunch.

How is everyone else doing?
Old 12-18-2012, 06:54 AM   #262
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Did you feel good about your total intake yesterday? The ketones could just be a blip on the radar.

Have you read the latest blog post from Richard David Feinman, Hunger. What it is and what you can do about it? It gave me some things to think about regarding hunger. I have to remember that the hunger I feel on LC and NK isn't the same kind of hunger I used to feel when eating low-fat--it's much less urgent and more of a feeling of wanting more, but if I wait it will usually pass. Anyway, I thought it was an interesting article.
I haven't read that post yet, I'll check it out. Interesting observation re: the difference in hunger now vs then.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:57 AM   #263
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Hello everybody! Here's my update for today....kinda long since I'm very wordy and over-analytical.

- Still feeling like I've got the beginnings of a cold (raw, sore throat and sinus drainage), but it comes and goes - and at times feels gone completely. And I've been having those "moments" I now associate with high ketones: a sudden, unexplainable feeling of, "wow, I feel really great!" that pop up periodically throughout the day.

- Last few ketone readings:
Sunday morning: 1.6
Sunday afternoon (3 hours after a Chinese buffet lunch): 1.1 (yay!!)
Monday morning: 1.6
Monday evening: 1.8
Tuesday morning (today): 0.8

Because (prior to last Friday) I had been very disappointed by continuous low ketone readings, I decided to start taking 2 readings a day to get a better picture of what was happening. So now, my box of strips are already gone, and I'm awaiting delivery of my next one. I'm not sure why this morning's reading is so much lower than yesterday's, but I suppose I'll be happy with anything over 0.5. I guess it could be the Greek yogurt I had yesterday evening because my calories and protein were so low for the day...

- I have not had a workout since last Friday morning...which is partially intentional, and partially due to this being my busiest time of the month for work. I am definitely going to work out today!

- Yesterday was the one day during the month I go to the office (I work at home the rest of the time). I'm always afraid that I'll eat something off plan when I go there, so I make sure to get a good egg and bacon breakfast in before I go. I didn't have any "easily portable" food I could take with me, so I was planning to go all day without eating anything...just having coffee with cream. The boss always buys lunch for everybody and generally asks me what I want first (which determines the restaurant he will order from). I tried to say "nothing for me, thanks!" but that didn't go over very well, even with protests of "I'm really not hungry!" So I broke down and got a Caesar salad from Panera Bread with no croutons. Found out when I got home last night and checked the website: it was only 6g of protein, 6g of total carbs, and 20g of fat! Hooray!

- I'm loving the chicken broth. It's become a treat I look forward to every day, and it seems to have eliminated my headaches (unless it's a coincidence?).

- Sadly, my weight is hovering around the same number that it has been for the past month...this morning: 144. No sore muscles to blame it on this time.

That's all for now...time for a workout!
Old 12-18-2012, 07:32 AM   #264
Senior LCF Member

OK, results are in (that was fast!)...

I dont' need you guys to tell me that my D is low:

Test Description
Vitamin D, results: 36.1; Range 30.0-100.0 ng/mL

The next one is where I could use some guidance:

Test Description
TSH004264 Result: 2.29; Range: 0.450-4.500 uIU/mL
Triiodothyronine,Free,Serum010389 Result: 2; Range: 2.0-4.4 pg/mL
T4,Free(Direct)019745 Result: 0.99; Range: 0.82-1.77 ng/dL

I'm assuming these are all on the lowish side??? does this mean that I could get some kind of treatment that might help me along?

Last edited by sasonnier; 12-18-2012 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: to clarify
Old 12-18-2012, 07:57 AM   #265
Big Yapper!!!!

Sophie, you might post your thyroid test results on the main board or the thyroid board to get more input on it. There are a lot of people on here who seem to be good at helping you understand your test results. Although I am hypothyroid, I am not technical enough to help you out on it.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #266
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Sophie, you might post your thyroid test results on the main board or the thyroid board to get more input on it. There are a lot of people on here who seem to be good at helping you understand your test results. Although I am hypothyroid, I am not technical enough to help you out on it.
Thanks! done and done...I hope to get some good insight! I do have a D.O. I plan to see if you guys think I could improve my numbers....
Old 12-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #267
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
OK, results are in (that was fast!)...

I dont' need you guys to tell me that my D is low:

Test Description
Vitamin D, results: 36.1; Range 30.0-100.0 ng/mL

The next one is where I could use some guidance:

Test Description
TSH004264 Result: 2.29; Range: 0.450-4.500 uIU/mL
Triiodothyronine,Free,Serum010389 Result: 2; Range: 2.0-4.4 pg/mL
T4,Free(Direct)019745 Result: 0.99; Range: 0.82-1.77 ng/dL

I'm assuming these are all on the lowish side??? does this mean that I could get some kind of treatment that might help me along?
Well there ya go Sophie! You are definitely in the "hypothyroid" realm and now you just have to find a doctor, DO, NP, or naturopath that can Rx for you properly.

Here's what you need to know....in some circles, a TSH above 2 is considered needing RX. In others it's anything over 1! You are over both.

The FT3 (don't you love the spelling of that one?!) is at the bottom of the range. In this particular test you want to be 2/3 to 3/4 of the range, i.e, near the top...closer to 4 than 2!!!! That's your "energy" hormone.

FT4 is also near the bottom of the range...you want that one to be about "mid-range" and a little lower is just dandy too...you don't want that one above mid-range. So, your body is not converting what it has...the FT4 reading is what your body has to convert INTO FT3 which is what is available for your body to USE (other readings for Total, Uptake, etc. show what's IN the body, but NOT what's available for use.

So.....if I had those readings, I would definitely want to be on my thyroid hormones. And, for me, I don't like synthetics so I would go for "natural dessicated thyroid" which most people write as NDT or Armour thyroid.

I'm so glad you got the testing done. It's amazing what happens to your mental health, physical energy and level of happiness when you are optimized. Remember though, this does NOT make you lose weight. It just makes you feel great so that you are functional and able to exercise, run circles around your kids and just have a wonderful happy life!!!!!

So...now you have to find someone to treat you as it's a prescription. And that's NOT easy in NY (I think that's where you are). Maybe ask on the thyroid forum part of LCF for a doc in your area.....start a new thread stating "Looking for a doc to Rx in New York" or maybe NJ???? Let us know what happens. IMO, you are definitely a candidate for the thyroid hormone!

ETA...yes, you need more D3!!!!! That will also make a huge difference in energy for you! And it's critical to help keep away any issues with breast cancer....it's a biggie!!!!

Call the DO and ask if he Rx's NDT.....or at the very least a compounded T4/T3 medication. If not...keep looking for someone that will!

Last edited by shelley; 12-18-2012 at 10:29 AM..
Old 12-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #268
Senior LCF Member

Thank You Shelley!! One thing I have noticed about me is my lack of energy- despite my clean eating. I never have 'felt better" from eating lo-carb like others describe- and I guess my lab tests explain why. I'll call this Dr. I'm looking into and see if she can Rx for me. Good news is, I'm really close to Connecticut and naturopaths can do it all there- that's where I went for my blood tests...
Old 12-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #269
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Well there ya go Sophie! You are definitely in the "hypothyroid" realm and now you just have to find a doctor, DO, NP, or naturopath that can Rx for you properly.

Here's what you need to know....in some circles, a TSH above 2 is considered needing RX. In others it's anything over 1! You are over both.

The FT3 (don't you love the spelling of that one?!) is at the bottom of the range. In this particular test you want to be 2/3 to 3/4 of the range, i.e, near the top...closer to 4 than 2!!!! That's your "energy" hormone.

FT4 is also near the bottom of the range...you want that one to be about "mid-range" and a little lower is just dandy too...you don't want that one above mid-range. So, your body is not converting what it has...the FT4 reading is what your body has to convert INTO FT3 which is what is available for your body to USE (other readings for Total, Uptake, etc. show what's IN the body, but NOT what's available for use.

So.....if I had those readings, I would definitely want to be on my thyroid hormones. And, for me, I don't like synthetics so I would go for "natural dessicated thyroid" which most people write as NDT or Armour thyroid.

I'm so glad you got the testing done. It's amazing what happens to your mental health, physical energy and level of happiness when you are optimized. Remember though, this does NOT make you lose weight. It just makes you feel great so that you are functional and able to exercise, run circles around your kids and just have a wonderful happy life!!!!!

So...now you have to find someone to treat you as it's a prescription. And that's NOT easy in NY (I think that's where you are). Maybe ask on the thyroid forum part of LCF for a doc in your area.....start a new thread stating "Looking for a doc to Rx in New York" or maybe NJ???? Let us know what happens. IMO, you are definitely a candidate for the thyroid hormone!

ETA...yes, you need more D3!!!!! That will also make a huge difference in energy for you! And it's critical to help keep away any issues with breast cancer....it's a biggie!!!!

Call the DO and ask if he Rx's NDT.....or at the very least a compounded T4/T3 medication. If not...keep looking for someone that will!
Shelley!
So timely - my dd32 has just had her thyroid panel and I was dreading trying to decipher it all myself - I'm still in the middle of having my own tweaking of hypothyroid. I do feel "better", though, and my doc, after seeing my numbers (which were better) said, "well we're going to get you feeling even better than this!"

Sophie, Shelley is right - it probably won't do anything to make you lose weight, but it is awfully tough to lose weight when your thyroid isn't optimized -- even when you're doing everything right.

I asked my DD32 to have her doc get TSH, FT3 and FT4.
So here's what she came back with:

T3 uptake 27% (range 22-35)
T4 (thyroxine), total 8.8 mcg/dL (range 4.5-12.0)
Free T4 Index (T7) 2.4 (range 1.4-3.8)
TSH 2.56 mIU/L

So to me it looks like her TSH is high and I can't tell about the T3 because I don't know what T3uptake will tell me or if it's the same as FreeT3. I will look on the stopthethyroidmadness site - but Shelley if you get a chance will you look this over too? And/or Kristn?

I actually wish they had tested her hormones - she's never had a child and is 32 but frequently has hot flashes - personally I think it could be because she's probably undiagnosed hypoglycemic and is not eating lc, so has the see-sawing blood sugar. It would just be nice to know.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #270
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Just saw on stopthethyroidmadness that Total T4 is useless.
So I guess they didn't do the Free T4.
Closed Thread