Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 08:06 AM   #211
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
I totally agree about the meter Kristn. It is times like yesterday that it is so important to me. I would have totally thought it would kick me out of ketosis, but, it was good to know it didn't, and it is such a learning experience that this just adds a tool that helps us so much. We just need to find a source of strips that weren't so darn expensive. And, without the meter, I would have guessed that on most days, since I usually keep my carbs so low, that my ketone reading would be high, but nope, it is often below 0.1 and I don't know if I have ever testing over 2. Of course I always test first thing in AM too. And, I keep seeing that downward trend in my weight that I am looking for.
Another thing, right now I am so busy that I am not logging my food, another reason the meter is important to me since I don't know exactly how much protein or carbs I am eating, but as long as I am in K, I know I am doing it right.
It is really challenging to do things blindly (no meter). I can tell you that 2 wks. ago I had a party and even though everything I consumed was low carb, it was overall, too much(beanless chili, guac, sour cream, cheese, olives, salami, a slice of l/c nut bread, red wine and to top things off, 4 russle stover chocolates) I don't know why I thought this would be ok - I really know better??.

The next day I felt really bad and then it took me at least 10 days to fully recover (i.e. back in ketosis). I was surprised it took so long but feel sure this is the case.

Anyway, the point for me is that I must really get the meter and start testing because even though I think I have my macros in line at the moment, I know my body is like a moving target and I want to keep the losing trend going.... I am currently 2 lbs. from my stall weight - that is 7.5 lbs lost in about 2 months. And I worry with the challenges the next couple of wks bring with holiday gatherings and such......

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #212
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Cathy, in your list, 3 things stand out, the LC nut bread, did you make it or do you know for sure it was LC, the red wine and the chocolates. Definitely could have thrown you out of ketosis, but, maybe not. That is where the meter is so helpful. I know some of you can handle some wine/alcohol but it doesn't work for all of us and that is maybe why you felt bad the next day, I used to drink a LOT of wine, love it, but since getting diabetes, whenever I drink, although it tastes good at the time, it isn't long before I get a bad headache and I don't feel well. I haven't had any since Sept. 3rd.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #213
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Myles
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
How are you doing in following the NK guidelines? Have you been testing?
I stopped testing Kristn, cuz the results always made me sad. That combined with not losing got me pretty bummed out and havent been eating much lately and haven't tracked (for 2 or 3 days now) :/

Last edited by Myles; 12-15-2012 at 11:04 AM..
Old 12-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #214
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Cathy, in your list, 3 things stand out, the LC nut bread, did you make it or do you know for sure it was LC, the red wine and the chocolates. Definitely could have thrown you out of ketosis, but, maybe not. That is where the meter is so helpful. I know some of you can handle some wine/alcohol but it doesn't work for all of us and that is maybe why you felt bad the next day, I used to drink a LOT of wine, love it, but since getting diabetes, whenever I drink, although it tastes good at the time, it isn't long before I get a bad headache and I don't feel well. I haven't had any since Sept. 3rd.
Hi Buffy, ya the bread was something I never normally eat but was l/c and the wine was dry but still about 4g per glass and then the sugar alcohols in the wicked candies and then of course everything else.... all prove too much for me.

I have had wine over the years that I have been low carbing and it doesn't cause me problems when I don't combine all the other 'ingredients'. Makes me realize that I am going to have to be pretty careful in the future - picking and choosing and being careful with amounts of these low carb foods.

Any recommendatons of what and where for meter and sticks for a Canadian?
Old 12-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #215
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Judy, I can't remember how tall you are but from your picture at that game, you look absolutely perfect at the weight you are.
AHA! My voodoo and spackle and mirror-tricks are working!

Ever had a picture taken of yourself and you think, "Who is that? Can't be me. Oh. It is me." And I've seen horrible pictures of other people where I correctly tell them, "This is a split-second in time. This is not how you normally look. Please don't worry about that one picture. Look at all these other good pictures."

That picture of me was a perfect split-second in time. I don't look that good. I was holding 4 things and standing next to big, body-painted boys who were rooting for their high school team to take state!

And my avi is only 5 or 6 years old!

Last edited by JMCM1; 12-15-2012 at 01:59 PM..
Old 12-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #216
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Hi Buffy, ya the bread was something I never normally eat but was l/c and the wine was dry but still about 4g per glass and then the sugar alcohols in the wicked candies and then of course everything else.... all prove too much for me.

I have had wine over the years that I have been low carbing and it doesn't cause me problems when I don't combine all the other 'ingredients'. Makes me realize that I am going to have to be pretty careful in the future - picking and choosing and being careful with amounts of these low carb foods.

The carbs are surely individual. Also, friends, mightn't it also have to do with the other things we've eaten? ie how fast the carbs are dumped into our bloodstream - if they are blunted by fats and fiber, maybe not as quickly.

Now you know how well I can rationalize!

Cathy I have the Precision Xtra meter and got the strips from a Canadian pharmacy. I'm not allowed to post the actual link, but I started looking at the links on JM's site from his first report Days 1-whatever.

I ended up using shopping google and I bought enough strips (40-50) so that the price would be about $2/strip. I think that's right.

I just keep thinking the price will eventually go down as they produce more to meet the new demand. Can't wait for that.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #217
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
MerryKate. I'm so sorry about your dental problems and I'm glad that things are going to be back to normal.

I have the free Precision meter that I never opened. I'm so used to the Nova now that I haven't been very motivated to give the Precision a try. I think that when I run out of glucose strips for the Nova that I'll give the Precision a try for that with it's free glucose strips to get the hang of it. You'll have to give us your evaluation when you start using the Precision vs. the Nova.
By the way Merry Kate - I am also feeling for you in dental woes. That is so painful. I hope you are getting better every day.

Kristn and Buffy, was the Precision for glucose the one Dottie said was awful?
I think the ketone strips were not the issue - it was the glucose strips.
Help me remember?
Old 12-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #218
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Cathy--the wine always puts me over, but not necessarily because of the carbs in it. I will usually eat too much of everything else once I've had a few glasses. And like Buffy, I can't drink it without feeling awful the next day. I really love the stuff and we have many bottles of good wine sitting around, but I don't really drink it much any more.

As far as I know there are only two meters that do ketone readings, the Precision Xtra and the Nova Max Plus. People are ordering ketone strips for the Precision from Canada because they're cheaper so you may be in luck actually getting them for less where you live.

Judy--the Nova is supposedly terrible for glucose, from what I read the Precision is pretty good. Both seem to be good for ketones as far as anyone can tell, but the Nova tends to give lower readings and will give people "lo" readings rather than a number when their ketones are too low. I have the Nova and I've never gotten the "lo" reading myself. I have had a few errors which (for me) seem to be caused by 1. not enough blood (you have to get the drop on the first time, you can't add more if there's not enough), or 2. slightly bending or otherwise not being careful with the strip itself (I now carefully remove them from their wrapper).

I think if you're starting from scratch and you have access to inexpensive test strips then the Precision is probably the way to go. I started with the Nova and even though it has its issues, I've stuck with it because of the convenience of getting the strips in the US from American Diabetes Wholesale. I keep saying that I might get some strips from Canada for the Precision, but then never actually order them.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 12-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #219
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Cathy--the wine always puts me over, but not necessarily because of the carbs in it. I will usually eat too much of everything else once I've had a few glasses. And like Buffy, I can't drink it without feeling awful the next day. I really love the stuff and we have many bottles of good wine sitting around, but I don't really drink it much any more.

As far as I know there are only two meters that do ketone readings, the Precision Xtra and the Nova Max Plus. People are ordering ketone strips for the Precision from Canada because they're cheaper so you may be in luck actually getting them for less where you live.

Judy--the Nova is supposedly terrible for glucose, from what I read the Precision is pretty good. Both seem to be good for ketones as far as anyone can tell, but the Nova tends to give lower readings and will give people "lo" readings rather than a number when their ketones are too low. I have the Nova and I've never gotten the "lo" reading myself. I have had a few errors which (for me) seem to be caused by 1. not enough blood (you have to get the drop on the first time, you can't add more if there's not enough), or 2. slightly bending or otherwise not being careful with the strip itself (I now carefully remove them from their wrapper).

I think if you're starting from scratch and you have access to inexpensive test strips then the Precision is probably the way to go. I started with the Nova and even though it has its issues, I've stuck with it because of the convenience of getting the strips in the US from American Diabetes Wholesale. I keep saying that I might get some strips from Canada for the Precision, but then never actually order them.
I'm glad you are an accountant - you have a great mind for details!!
Old 12-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #220
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolash View Post
I stopped testing Kristn, cuz the results always made me sad. That combined with not losing got me pretty bummed out and havent been eating much lately and haven't tracked (for 2 or 3 days now) :/
This thread may be useful to you: Impatience Killed The Cat .. or Why To Stop Obsessing and Tweaking ... I think if you decide what you want to do and really stick with it you will see success. But you have to really give it a good effort (weeks without going off plan) before deciding that it doesn't work. I know that you are impatient, but the people who really lose lots of weight and keep it off are the people who have a long-term vision and don't get caught up in the daily fluctuations or search for the next new thing. Success comes from plugging away and sticking to your plan--whatever that is.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #221
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shipoo
Stats: 198/165.3/135
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Nov 2012/May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post

Hi Cathy, go onto abbott diabetes care canada and you can get the precision Xtra meter free. BUT you have to buy a box of glucose strips in order to get it free. Then I had to special order the ketone strips from Shopper - they run $21.88 for a box of 10.

Hope that helps!
Old 12-15-2012, 11:43 PM   #222
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
First, Buffy - Congratulations! I'm so glad you got to your goal early. Keep up the good work!

Quote:
Yes, would be interesting to see how they compare using the same drop of blood!
Well, I used my last Novamax strip yesterday, but Jimmy Moore did side-by-side comparison tests of the Novamax and Precision meters, and found the Novamax to be significantly off. His blogpost was enough to convince me to go for the Precision meter - check it out.

I'm happy to report things are getting back to normal, but my calorie levels are down pretty significantly (well, for me). Two weeks ago I was eating 1800-2100 calories consistently; now I'm around 1400 cals/day. Since I've gotten used to this I'm probably going to stick with it (and hoping it doesn't suppress my metabolism). I rediscovered an old lesson: soup is filling and has its own appetite suppressing properties. I made a great butternut squash soup this week which kept me going for hours.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:01 AM   #223
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post

Lindsay I would never have had the idea myself, but have loved it since Kristn thought of it - a bowl of broth with an ounce or two of cream cheese. It is so comforting and such a nice thing to do for yourself if that kind of thing appeals to you.

I think you are a busy mom who deserves a wonderful Christmas present of digital scales! I think I paid about $17 for mine.

What a great idea! I was finally able to pick up several cans of chicken broth yesterday so I'll have to try the cream cheese. Do you mean melt it in the broth and stir it up? I love cream cheese on or in just about anything!

And thanks, you're very sweet!
Old 12-16-2012, 04:06 AM   #224
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
If you like pork rinds, they pack calories, fat and protein Lindsay.

My ketones were 0.6 this morning and I have to admit, I taste tested a little too much toffee as I was packaging it yesterday. So, I was glad to see that number at least.

Lindsay, I think you have been giving great advice, give it a try backing off some of the foods you were eating and the heavy workouts and see what happens.

Hello to everyone!
I do like pork rinds, so I'll keep some of those around if I feel the need to have a snack. I had stopped getting those because I thought they seemed kind of high in protein, but if I just eat a few it's not too bad.

I'm definitely striving to take the advice I've seen in this thread so far! I did much better for the past two days: no Greek yogurt or dark chocolate at all. I also took an (unscheduled) rest day from working out yesterday... it's messed up my schedule quite a bit, but I'm forgiving myself because everything is still a work in progress and nothing is set in stone.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:30 AM   #225
Senior LCF Member

I probably didn't catch everybody's posts to reply to each one individually (sorry!!), but here's a general update while I've got another free minute!

My weight hasn't went back down from the minor spike after the workout earlier this week that made me so sore. I'm not sore anymore, but the scale is sitting defiantly at 145 this morning (even after yesterday's spontaneous rest day).

However, my food log confirms that I've made it 2 whole days without any Greek yogurt or dark chocolate - plus, yesterday morning, I resolved to start putting only one Sweet & Low packet in each cup of coffee. AND, I ordered a bottle of the EZ Sweets and 2 flavors of the DaVinci SF syrups from the link on this website. So once those get here, I may be able to say "so long" to Sweet & Low.

About broth/headaches: I started the daily chicken broth on Thursday afternoon and have noticed a difference in my headaches. Interestingly enough, the day in which I desperately strained the broth from a can of regular chicken soup because we had no broth in the house (Friday), I felt worse...mildly headache-y. It didn't taste as good to me, it was thicker (I'm sure because of other ingredients in there), and it produced less than a coffee cup of "broth." Never again!

Here's the really interesting thing...I'm hoping someone can chime in and be brutally honest, so I don't celebrate a false victory. On Friday, I had one of my highest amounts of protein in weeks (99g!!). And that night, I started to feel like I might be catching a cold. The next morning (Saturday), my ketones were up a bit to 0.8. I thought - hooray, maybe it's because my carbs were lower on Friday (about 10g total), and that's the key. All day, I experienced mild cold symptoms but did not feel bad. Decided to test ketones at about 2:30 in the afternoon and about fell out of my chair when I saw 2.1. Although it wasn't intentional, I had a much lower protein intake that day - actually, a lower intake of everything. So, I picked up some generic Zi-Cam, Vitamin C, and all that chicken broth. And this morning (Sunday), my ketones were 1.6!!

My question is...should I attribute the higher ketones to my "cold," if that's what it is? I still don't feel bad, and the sinus/throat symptoms are very mild. I thought I read somewhere that sickness can elevate ketones. Of course, I'd rather believe it's my diet, and I've finally started a new trend of higher daily ketones that will result in scale movement soon. But if it is due to a cold, does anyone understand why that would even elevate ketones? I'd love to understand the mechanism behind that.

Happy Sunday to everybody!!
Old 12-16-2012, 06:38 AM   #226
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
Well, I used my last Novamax strip yesterday, but Jimmy Moore did side-by-side comparison tests of the Novamax and Precision meters, and found the Novamax to be significantly off. His blogpost was enough to convince me to go for the Precision meter - check it out.
Maybe when I run out of my current strips I'll buy some Precision ketone strips. I haven't had the "lo" problem that others have had, but I should probably at least do the side-by-side since I do have the Precision meter.

Quote:
I'm happy to report things are getting back to normal, but my calorie levels are down pretty significantly (well, for me). Two weeks ago I was eating 1800-2100 calories consistently; now I'm around 1400 cals/day. Since I've gotten used to this I'm probably going to stick with it (and hoping it doesn't suppress my metabolism). I rediscovered an old lesson: soup is filling and has its own appetite suppressing properties. I made a great butternut squash soup this week which kept me going for hours.
I'm so glad you're feeling better and back to normal. Let us know how 1400 calories works for you. It sounds like a reasonable number for weight-loss, but we're all so individual.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:43 AM   #227
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipoo View Post
Hi Cathy, go onto abbott diabetes care canada and you can get the precision Xtra meter free. BUT you have to buy a box of glucose strips in order to get it free. Then I had to special order the ketone strips from Shopper - they run $21.88 for a box of 10.

Hope that helps!
Thank you Shipoo!! I will check them out.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:47 AM   #228
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
[B]Cathy[/B

Ditto everything Kristn said about the meters. I have never had the precision though but I know the Nova Max does not read my BG like my AccuChek which is what I have always used for my diabetes.

I get both meters ready to go, then prick my finger and get a bead of blood, I first carefully just touch the tip of the Nova strip to the side of the bead, it sucks in the blood, then quickly touch the AccuChek to the bead. I get both tests done with one little bead of blood, but then I have had 4 1/2 years of practice with my diabetes. I see people talk about it talking so much blood, it really does get easier with practice.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:53 AM   #229
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnstrungHarp View Post
I probably didn't catch everybody's posts to reply to each one individually (sorry!!), but here's a general update while I've got another free minute!

My weight hasn't went back down from the minor spike after the workout earlier this week that made me so sore. I'm not sore anymore, but the scale is sitting defiantly at 145 this morning (even after yesterday's spontaneous rest day).

However, my food log confirms that I've made it 2 whole days without any Greek yogurt or dark chocolate - plus, yesterday morning, I resolved to start putting only one Sweet & Low packet in each cup of coffee. AND, I ordered a bottle of the EZ Sweets and 2 flavors of the DaVinci SF syrups from the link on this website. So once those get here, I may be able to say "so long" to Sweet & Low.

About broth/headaches: I started the daily chicken broth on Thursday afternoon and have noticed a difference in my headaches. Interestingly enough, the day in which I desperately strained the broth from a can of regular chicken soup because we had no broth in the house (Friday), I felt worse...mildly headache-y. It didn't taste as good to me, it was thicker (I'm sure because of other ingredients in there), and it produced less than a coffee cup of "broth." Never again!

Here's the really interesting thing...I'm hoping someone can chime in and be brutally honest, so I don't celebrate a false victory. On Friday, I had one of my highest amounts of protein in weeks (99g!!). And that night, I started to feel like I might be catching a cold. The next morning (Saturday), my ketones were up a bit to 0.8. I thought - hooray, maybe it's because my carbs were lower on Friday (about 10g total), and that's the key. All day, I experienced mild cold symptoms but did not feel bad. Decided to test ketones at about 2:30 in the afternoon and about fell out of my chair when I saw 2.1. Although it wasn't intentional, I had a much lower protein intake that day - actually, a lower intake of everything. So, I picked up some generic Zi-Cam, Vitamin C, and all that chicken broth. And this morning (Sunday), my ketones were 1.6!!

My question is...should I attribute the higher ketones to my "cold," if that's what it is? I still don't feel bad, and the sinus/throat symptoms are very mild. I thought I read somewhere that sickness can elevate ketones. Of course, I'd rather believe it's my diet, and I've finally started a new trend of higher daily ketones that will result in scale movement soon. But if it is due to a cold, does anyone understand why that would even elevate ketones? I'd love to understand the mechanism behind that.

Sounds like you are making great progress but sorry you aren't feeling well. Always a lot of sickness around the holidays. DGD running a fever this morning. I have no idea if illness messes with our ketone readings, I know it does BG readings.

Glad you ordered the EZsweetz, toss those packets for now. And, your ketone readings make me jealous!
Old 12-16-2012, 06:54 AM   #230
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I also took an (unscheduled) rest day from working out yesterday... it's messed up my schedule quite a bit, but I'm forgiving myself because everything is still a work in progress and nothing is set in stone.
learning how to take a rest day and not beat yourself up will help you get to your goals--I promise!!

Quote:
Keep up the good work and you will see movement on the scale.

Quote:
Great job. I think that over time this will be important as you can get more veggie carbs in place of the filler carbs from Sweet & Low.

Quote:
It sounds like the broth is working! Who knows what was in the strained broth, it doesn't sound worth it. If you run out of broth you can always drink salt water.

Quote:

Congrats on your increasing ketone readings!! I don't know about ketones and colds, I rarely get them and I don't know that I tested when I did. But perhaps this is induction flu brought on by increasing ketones, not increased ketones from a cold? I guess you'll know soon enough. Just take care of yourself either way and you'll be feeling 100% soon!
Old 12-16-2012, 06:54 AM   #231
Big Yapper!!!!

After the holiday madness is over, I will try to get a precision meter so I can compare. I am happy with my Nova b/c it shows me I am in ketosis or not, very rarely not and I am losing, but I like messing with the meters.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:58 AM   #232
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
After the holiday madness is over, I will try to get a precision meter so I can compare. I am happy with my Nova b/c it shows me I am in ketosis or not, very rarely not and I am losing, but I like messing with the meters.
I never thought I would say this, but I love messing with the meters too! I like being my own little science experiment.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:03 AM   #233
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I never thought I would say this, but I love messing with the meters too! I like being my own little science experiment.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:11 AM   #234
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone!!

Ketones this morning: .7
Days of morning ketone readings over .5: 8
Weight: 145.4 (down 1 lb).

I love how I feel at 145. I never thought I'd be able to make it to this weight or wear a size 8. I hope I can make it through the next few weeks maintaining this low. But even if I can't I know that I have the tools to get back here once the holidays and my birthday are over.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:35 AM   #235
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Good morning everyone!!

Ketones this morning: .7
Days of morning ketone readings over .5: 8
Weight: 145.4 (down 1 lb).

I love how I feel at 145. I never thought I'd be able to make it to this weight or wear a size 8. I hope I can make it through the next few weeks maintaining this low. But even if I can't I know that I have the tools to get back here once the holidays and my birthday are over.
Congratulations!!

Figuring out how our own bodies work is a lifelong project, right?
I have actually been trying on size 10s. I am aware there is vanity sizing, but I am just positive the size 10s I try on are the smallest 10s. I've only bought a couple of skirts in a 10, but no pants.
Later, in about 7 pounds.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:01 AM   #236
Major LCF Poster!

Congrats on the 10s Judy!! You'll be in those pants before you know it.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #237
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Congrats on the 10s Judy!! You'll be in those pants before you know it.
I bet I will - but I am definitely apple-shaped, so it might be a little longer than I wish, but my plan is to get there! Thanks!
Old 12-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #238
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Good morning everyone! So I have decided to focus less on NK and more on what i was doing before, but following Atkins Induction guidelines. I think the higher fat just doesn't work for me- I don't think I can eat the right amt....it seems to be too much. I also found that I was always craving more protein. So, I'm upping my protein to what Atkins suggests. I will still check my ketones and try to stay in ketosis. I ate more carbs yesterday- it was about 27 total (under 20 net) and my ketones were at 1.1 this a.m. I'm interested to see if they stay there or if they slowly drop down. I'll be watching my fat consumption- eating about 4-5T of solid fats a day (olive oil/homemade mayo). Cutting out the CC and HWC for now, and probably only having about 1oz of hard cheese a day. I'll still hang around here cuz I seem to like all of you :-) and I'm still trying to stay in ketosis. I'm hoping this will at least get me back down to where I was weight wise. I'm getting my blood test tomorrow, so I'm curious what that will come back as...
Old 12-16-2012, 09:29 AM   #239
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
Good morning everyone! So I have decided to focus less on NK and more on what i was doing before, but following Atkins Induction guidelines. I think the higher fat just doesn't work for me- I don't think I can eat the right amt....it seems to be too much. I also found that I was always craving more protein. So, I'm upping my protein to what Atkins suggests. I will still check my ketones and try to stay in ketosis. I ate more carbs yesterday- it was about 27 total (under 20 net) and my ketones were at 1.1 this a.m. I'm interested to see if they stay there or if they slowly drop down. I'll be watching my fat consumption- eating about 4-5T of solid fats a day (olive oil/homemade mayo). Cutting out the CC and HWC for now, and probably only having about 1oz of hard cheese a day. I'll still hang around here cuz I seem to like all of you :-) and I'm still trying to stay in ketosis. I'm hoping this will at least get me back down to where I was weight wise. I'm getting my blood test tomorrow, so I'm curious what that will come back as...
Hi Sophie,
I'm so glad that you checked in with us! I am not one to believe that there is one single right path for everyone. For many years I was a volunteer in a mother-to-mother organization and we always said, "you may hear things here that make you uncomfortable, please take what feels right to you and leave the rest." You are the person who can find the right path for you, and it sounds like you are taking steps in the right direction. Also, my fat % is never as high as some people try to get theirs--I don't think a high fat percentage defines NK (at least my understanding of it). When losing I'm more in the 65-70% range. I have only gotten up to 80% in maintenance, and that's not every day. You may find that you feel better with your new eating goals and can stay in ketosis at the same time.

Your experience may help someone who's going through the same struggles so please do continue to post here. Plus, we like you and would miss you.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #240
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Hi Sophie,
I'm so glad that you checked in with us! I am not one to believe that there is one single right path for everyone. For many years I was a volunteer in a mother-to-mother organization and we always said, "you may hear things here that make you uncomfortable, please take what feels right to you and leave the rest." You are the person who can find the right path for you, and it sounds like you are taking steps in the right direction. Also, my fat % is never as high as some people try to get theirs--I don't think a high fat percentage defines NK (at least my understanding of it). When losing I'm more in the 65-70% range. I have only gotten up to 80% in maintenance, and that's not every day. You may find that you feel better with your new eating goals and can stay in ketosis at the same time.

Your experience may help someone who's going through the same struggles so please do continue to post here. Plus, we like you and would miss you.
Oh agree! I agree! Please keep posting so we can learn from everyone! And of course we would miss you!!
Closed Thread