Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnstrungHarp View Post
Just a quick update today: TOM started yesterday evening, this morning ketones are up to .9 and weight is down a pound-ish to 142-ish. (It's hard to tell on an analog scale when my eyes haven't fully adjusted to being awake yet!)

it seems all our moon cycles are in sync...I have read several women getting their TOM yesterday (or expecting it very soon) on this and other threads...hmmmm

My ketones were at 1.3- I was a little concerned b/c I was over on protein for sure yesterday and getting my cycle- I have heard others mention it wrecks their ketone readings...

Staying far far away from the scale today and the next several days.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2012, 08:06 AM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolash View Post
I should mention this is only after about 7 or 8 hours of fasting i didnt sleep much and tested right away when i got up.. most mornings are after 10-11 hours of fasting

.4 blood ketones and 5.8 blood glucose (104.5) ... weight close to the same

I am surprised since i sort of pigged out yesterday (still all LCHFMP) but i surely went over on carbs and maybe protein.... hrmm
I'd consider that good- given that you went over on carbs.

I also slept horribly last night- I generally sleep very well and fall asleep early. I took a nap yesterday (late morning- and only about 45 mins), so either that messed me up or my husband accidentally gave me caffeinated coffee last night when I wanted decaf (I dont drink caffeine)- b/c I couldn't fall asleep until 4:30- and then I only slept for a solid 2 hours before I kept hearing the kids...eventually getting out of bed at 9am

I should sleep well tonight
Old 12-09-2012, 08:28 AM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
My TOM arrived today too ,but I didn't test ketones this morning. This will be the first time I'm testing ketones while I ahve TOM, so we'll see what it does to me.

Kristn- i need to check your losing menu. I have been eating cheese, and I think I need to eliminate it (except maybe for cream cheese) in hopes of losing better (or at all)
Sophie--I am not sure eliminating one food really helps unless it is a trigger to overeat or you have an allergy or sensitivity (and if I eat cheese or nuts as "snacks" mindlessly I will definitely overeat). What worked for me in reducing fat in my diet (while in ketosis and keeping protein and carbs constant) was to figure out what fat I didn't think I'd miss so much. For instance, I like to have a big salad with a vinaigrette dressing every day. Rather than loading up the salad with dressing I limited it to 1 tbs olive oil and as much vinegar as I wanted (and lots and lots of salt!). This cut out several hundred fat calories a day. This is just an example, I'm sure there are a few places in your daily plan where the fat could be cut back without too much trauma. That might help you get losing since you're getting such great consistent ketone readings.

Quote:
I should mention this is only after about 7 or 8 hours of fasting i didnt sleep much and tested right away when i got up.. most mornings are after 10-11 hours of fasting

.4 blood ketones and 5.8 blood glucose (104.5) ... weight close to the same

I am surprised since i sort of pigged out yesterday (still all LCHFMP) but i surely went over on carbs and maybe protein.... hrmm
Myles--you're really not going to get good readings until you've been sticking to the plan (without overeating anything except pure fat) for at least 5 days.

Quote:
Just a quick update today: TOM started yesterday evening, this morning ketones are up to .9 and weight is down a pound-ish to 142-ish. (It's hard to tell on an analog scale when my eyes haven't fully adjusted to being awake yet!)

Lindsay-- for the scale loss and increasing ketones!!

Quote:
it seems all our moon cycles are in sync...I have read several women getting their TOM yesterday (or expecting it very soon) on this and other threads...hmmmm

My ketones were at 1.3- I was a little concerned b/c I was over on protein for sure yesterday and getting my cycle- I have heard others mention it wrecks their ketone readings...

Staying far far away from the scale today and the next several days.
Sophie--what a strange coincidence! I don't know if there's consensus on ketones and TOM. My reading was down yesterday, but is back up to 1.0 today.

And while I don't usually get on the scale during TOM, I've been consciously back in losing mode for a while (although Friday I definitely overate) so I hopped on this morning and was surprised to see a new low of 145.8!
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!

Last edited by mom2zeke; 12-09-2012 at 08:30 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 12-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Someone was asking about the -- well, what we call the 'precision' of the blood ketone monitors. So I did measure my blood ketone levels twice, from the same drop of blood. 3.0 mM the first time, 3.1 mM the second. This was on the Nova Max Plus, which we have already determined has terrible precision blood glucose.

I would need to do a much larger sample set to have much confidence in this result. But my 2 data point experiment does not rule out the possibility that the Nova Max Plus has good precision measuring BHB levels.

--
Phillip
Old 12-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Mine was .3 again this morning...Myles you're doing better than I am!!!!

Fasting B/G was 107 (for drj......) I'm ignoring it until I get the strips for the accu chek to test it's reliability with B/G.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKSL55 View Post
Someone was asking about the -- well, what we call the 'precision' of the blood ketone monitors. So I did measure my blood ketone levels twice, from the same drop of blood. 3.0 mM the first time, 3.1 mM the second. This was on the Nova Max Plus, which we have already determined has terrible precision blood glucose.

I would need to do a much larger sample set to have much confidence in this result. But my 2 data point experiment does not rule out the possibility that the Nova Max Plus has good precision measuring BHB levels.

--
Phillip
Thanks Phillip....that's the same conclusion I have had over the ketone readings on the Nova Max Plus.....they say .1 difference is natural from one reading to the next in the same sample of blood, so thanks for using up an extra strip to confirm that.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Thanks Phillip....that's the same conclusion I have had over the ketone readings on the Nova Max Plus.....they say .1 difference is natural from one reading to the next in the same sample of blood, so thanks for using up an extra strip to confirm that.
Yes, then perhaps we can put down the truly abysmal performance of the NovaMax as a blood glucose monitor to the strips themselves? At $2 a pop for the blood ketone strips, I guess there is plenty of cash to spend on quality control.

On the other hand, seems like 10% of the readings I get are botched (come back as an error). Sometimes I did something wrong, but other times?

--
Phillip
Old 12-09-2012, 02:39 PM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Sophie--I am not sure eliminating one food really helps unless it is a trigger to overeat or you have an allergy or sensitivity (and if I eat cheese or nuts as "snacks" mindlessly I will definitely overeat). What worked for me in reducing fat in my diet (while in ketosis and keeping protein and carbs constant) was to figure out what fat I didn't think I'd miss so much. For instance, I like to have a big salad with a vinaigrette dressing every day. Rather than loading up the salad with dressing I limited it to 1 tbs olive oil and as much vinegar as I wanted (and lots and lots of salt!). This cut out several hundred fat calories a day. This is just an example, I'm sure there are a few places in your daily plan where the fat could be cut back without too much trauma. That might help you get losing since you're getting such great consistent ketone readings.

Myles--you're really not going to get good readings until you've been sticking to the plan (without overeating anything except pure fat) for at least 5 days.

Lindsay-- for the scale loss and increasing ketones!!

Sophie--what a strange coincidence! I don't know if there's consensus on ketones and TOM. My reading was down yesterday, but is back up to 1.0 today.

And while I don't usually get on the scale during TOM, I've been consciously back in losing mode for a while (although Friday I definitely overate) so I hopped on this morning and was surprised to see a new low of 145.8!
wow- 145! that's great. I ate over on carbs today- about 35g total.

i was thinking of eliminating cheese b/c I hear it stalls some people, so was thinking it's possible it does the same for me...guess I'll see how it goes
Old 12-09-2012, 02:40 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

--
Phillip
you write so much like a scientist...are ya one?
Old 12-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

congrats on the new low!
Old 12-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
you write so much like a scientist...are ya one?
Guilty. Genomics.

--
Phillip
Old 12-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #72
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Guilty. Genomics.

--
Phillip
Good heavens!
Glad to have your point of view here, too.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Yes, then perhaps we can put down the truly abysmal performance of the NovaMax as a blood glucose monitor to the strips themselves? At $2 a pop for the blood ketone strips, I guess there is plenty of cash to spend on quality control.

On the other hand, seems like 10% of the readings I get are botched (come back as an error). Sometimes I did something wrong, but other times?

--
Phillip
I guess I'm lucky...the only error I ever got was the first time I used the machine and fortunately I tested glucose first, so I got used to how to put the strip in and haven't had a mishap since. But I hear many who get error messages.

So glad you are on this forum, Phillip! Thanks for your insight from the scientific perspective.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Guilty. Genomics.

--
Phillip
phew....zooming past my head
Old 12-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #75
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
So glad you are on this forum, Phillip! Thanks for your insight from the scientific perspective.
I agree. I always enjoy your posts and they usually make me think about things more deeply. Even if some of them are over my head.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:16 AM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Myles
.2 today.. my lowest yet since i started. I am getting pissed off. Im not losing weight, my readings are sh1t.. sorry to vent but i've never been so frustrated. yes i will keep going etc etc, but i'm mad bro.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:02 AM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
.2 today.. my lowest yet since i started. I am getting pissed off. Im not losing weight, my readings are sh1t.. sorry to vent but i've never been so frustrated. yes i will keep going etc etc, but i'm mad bro.
What did you eat yesterday (carbs/protein/fat)? Did you feel like you ate to your macronutrient goals?
Old 12-10-2012, 06:24 AM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone!
I thought I'd post my blood ketone readings since 12/1:

12/1 0.5
12/2 0.6
12/3 0.8
12/4 0.6
12/5 1.1
12/6 1
12/7 1.8
12/8 0.4
12/9 1
12/10 1.2

This morning the scale registered 145 even. I'm actually shockingly surprised at how easy it was to drop down to 145 from my original goal of 150 after keeping myself in ketosis since June. I just had to drop the fat down ~500 calories from maintenance (intake got even lower over the last week as my appetite finally dissipated). It took about a week for things to really start moving and then the drop happened quite fast. This is my normal loss pattern since I started NK (don't lose and then drop 4-5 pounds in a week). Apparently as you're losing your fat cells can hold on to water and then drop the water in a whoosh that shows up on the scale.

I opened my last box of ketone strips this morning. I'm pretty hooked on all of this so I'll probably order more.

I can't wait to hear how everyone else is doing!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:29 AM   #79
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
What did you eat yesterday (carbs/protein/fat)? Did you feel like you ate to your macronutrient goals?
i didn't keep track yesterday, but i felt like i barely ate anything. So i'm back to tracking today

As for you - good for you Kristn. I'm happy for you

Last edited by Myles; 12-10-2012 at 06:32 AM..
Old 12-10-2012, 07:01 AM   #80
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Morning! 0.8 here this AM. About normal for me. Holding onto my new low of 190.4, hoping to see those 180's soon.

Kristn, wow girl, you have done an amazing job of dropping those few lbs you wanted to. Kudos!

Myles, why don't you post a couple of days of what you are eating, see if we could help spot something that might be holding you back from getting further into ketosis.

Phillip, just your avatar makes me feel very blonde!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:00 AM   #81
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Good morning everyone!

12/1 0.5
12/2 0.6
12/3 0.8
12/4 0.6
12/5 1.1
12/6 1
12/7 1.8
12/8 0.4
12/9 1
12/10 1.2

This morning the scale registered 145 even. I'm actually shockingly surprised at how easy it was to drop down to 145 from my original goal of 150 after keeping myself in ketosis since June. I just had to drop the fat down ~500 calories from maintenance (intake got even lower over the last week as my appetite finally dissipated). It took about a week for things to really start moving and then the drop happened quite fast. This is my normal loss pattern since I started NK (don't lose and then drop 4-5 pounds in a week). Apparently as you're losing your fat cells can hold on to water and then drop the water in a whoosh that shows up on the scale.

I opened my last box of ketone strips this morning. I'm pretty hooked on all of this so I'll probably order more.

Just astounding, Kristn!!
Again - thank you for all the work you have done logging and posting and helping the rest of us tweak. You are certainly successful. I want to copy that success (right after Christmas )!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #82
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Myles, Buffy, and Judy.

Buffy--great job on holding on to your new low! Congratulations on staying in ketosis and making this work in a steady, sustained manner. You're an inspiration.

Judy--I think that coming back after eating maintenance level calories may have made it easier. You'll be right on track after Christmas!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:20 AM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:
Good morning everyone!

12/1 0.5
12/2 0.6
12/3 0.8
12/4 0.6
12/5 1.1
12/6 1
12/7 1.8
12/8 0.4
12/9 1
12/10 1.2

It's reassuring to see that you had a 0.4 reading in there, sandwiched between two much higher readings! I dropped back to 0.4 this morning, so the pattern for three days has been: 0.4, 0.9, 0.4 (I'm not counting the 1.5 I had the day before that, since it wasn't first thing in the morning). Maybe tomorrow morning it will be up to at least 0.9 again! Rather than overanalyze what I ate or didn't eat yesterday that could have affected today's reading, I'm going to chalk it up to hormones until TOM goes away.

Since I have 17 more strips (and I'm diligently sticking to testing only in the morning!), I'm hoping to get a much clearer picture of what's going on than I did with my first box of 10 that I ran through in less than a week. (I also think I might order another 20 strips very soon, since my last order took FOREVER to get here from Canada...)

Your point about fat cells holding onto water and then dropping it in a whoosh is so interesting! I keep hoping for one of those days when I step on the scale and it's dramatically less than the day before.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #84
Senior LCF Member

Congrats Kristn and Buffy!

My ketones were at .8 this morning- a bit low for me, but I'm not complaining b/c my carbs were up to about 40g yesterday (too much carrot)! I plan to get back on track today (I keep saying this...)
I want to focus on getting my fat grams lower- while maintaining my protein/carbs. I think I need to eat fewer calories- b/w 1500-1600 as opposed to 1800+

I'll weigh again next week.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #85
Senior LCF Member

macros for today
Calories 1,543
Fat 139.2 1,226 79%
Carbohydrate 12.4 45 3%
Protein 64.1 271 18%

i feel good about them. I was busy all day which really helped! Hope everyone is doing well!
Old 12-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #86
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tablis
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Quote:
Guilty. Genomics.

--
Phillip
genomics.... SO COOL!
Old 12-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Congratulations Kristn and Buffy!!!!!

Myles...post your foods/grams/amounts, etc. You would be amazed at what people can find. For me it was something as simple as making fat bombs with sunflower seed butter! PUFA fats which Major Red caught (a no no...wrong fat!)

Today I am happy to report that my fasting B/G was 100 and my ketone reading was .6!!! Woo hoo...finally made it back into ketosis. 3.5 months later....in and out and back in. Hope it stays!
Old 12-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #88
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
macros for today
Calories 1,543
Fat 139.2 1,226 79%
Carbohydrate 12.4 45 3%
Protein 64.1 271 18%

i feel good about them. I was busy all day which really helped! Hope everyone is doing well!
Busy is always good to keep from mindless eating. Your macros look great!

Quote:

Myles...post your foods/grams/amounts, etc. You would be amazed at what people can find. For me it was something as simple as making fat bombs with sunflower seed butter! PUFA fats which Major Red caught (a no no...wrong fat!)

Today I am happy to report that my fasting B/G was 100 and my ketone reading was .6!!! Woo hoo...finally made it back into ketosis. 3.5 months later....in and out and back in. Hope it stays!
Good catch on the PUFAs. Congratulations on the great ketone reading!
Old 12-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

that's great news on the ketones!
Old 12-11-2012, 04:25 AM   #90
Senior LCF Member

- .3 again.... that was day 7 or 8 or NK attemtpts -
- fasting blood sugar was as low as its been at 4.0 (72) (and i do not have diabetes)
- weight the same'ish (like 323)

Quote:

!
Yesterday:

Breakfast 6:30 AM : 4 Bacon, 2 eggs W/ 1 Havarti slice, and sour cream on top + coffee w/ hwc
Lunch 11 AM : 2 chicken thighs covered with costco jalapeno/artichoke dip, 2 bacon, some sour cream and a diet root beer
Snack: 3PM: a whole 90% LINDT
Dinner 7:30PM ish : mushrooms sauteed in butter mixed with chopped chipotle pepper and sour cream and some cream cheese

daily totals: 2482 cal, 226.3 fat, 92.1 prot, 24.7 carb (81/15/4)

Last edited by Myles; 12-11-2012 at 04:27 AM..
Closed Thread