Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #511
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnstrungHarp View Post

Weight 144.4 for at least the fifth consecutive day (the entire time I've had my new digital scale).
Is this one of those scales that reports the same weight unless a greater than 2 pound difference is detected? I think it was Buffy, maybe, who reported that Weight Watcher scales did that.

One thing about NK, I think it is more of a plan for the long haul. Unlike many other WOEs it tends to spare (or even build) lean body mass. So you can't count on seeing that constant steady downward trend that some WOEs might give you.

Your blood ketone level does indicate that your body is burning its fat, and/or dietary fat. That means that the gates to your stores of fat in your adipocytes are likely open.

How does this WOE feel? Hard? Easy? Something in between?

--
Phillip

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #512
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Lindsey, my understanding is that if you eat enough fat during the day, you will refill your fat stores.

The example in the book has a 180 lb woman eating only 800-860 calories from fat in the weight loss phase. Total calories from food at 1300.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #513
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by NKSL55 View Post
Is this one of those scales that reports the same weight unless a greater than 2 pound difference is detected? I think it was Buffy, maybe, who reported that Weight Watcher scales did that.

One thing about NK, I think it is more of a plan for the long haul. Unlike many other WOEs it tends to spare (or even build) lean body mass. So you can't count on seeing that constant steady downward trend that some WOEs might give you.

Your blood ketone level does indicate that your body is burning its fat, and/or dietary fat. That means that the gates to your stores of fat in your adipocytes are likely open.

How does this WOE feel? Hard? Easy? Something in between?

--
Phillip
I don't have a WW scale, but I just tried to find out if mine might be doing the same thing. I couldn't find any info online that sounded like this scale works that way. I don't know a model number but it's a Taylor glass body fat scale that comes in a green box from Academy Sports.

My plan is to continue with this WOE indefinitely, since it has so many benefits besides weight loss. I'd say it was kind of hard in the beginning (2 months ago) to adjust to the lower protein, primarily. I had been eating TONS of protein before that, although I always stayed "relatively" low carb, as compared to the SAD. Early on, I went through a mild keto flu (afternoon sleepiness/tiredness, some difficulty with exercise) but that seems to be long gone now. My only weight loss was during the first 2 weeks or so, about 3-4 pounds. That was before I got the digital scales, so I'm basing that on what my analog scales appeared to display...hard to distinguish a one or two pound loss from one day to the next. Also, I would step on that scale three or four times, and it would be slightly different every time. Not so with the consistent digital Taylor scale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
Lindsey, my understanding is that if you eat enough fat during the day, you will refill your fat stores.

The example in the book has a 180 lb woman eating only 800-860 calories from fat in the weight loss phase. Total calories from food at 1300.
Yikes. I've read both the Living and Performance books but don't remember that specific example. That sounds like it wouldn't be "enough" calories, but I am no expert! I don't know if I could consistently eat that number of calories each day without being hungry, although my appetite has certainly diminished during the past two months. I also am in the (bad?) habit of assuming that my exercise automatically means I can eat more calories than whatever my BMR is, based on various online calculators.

Thanks for the input, it's definitely given me something to think about.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #514
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

If you still have the book, it's on pages 211 and 212 in the Living book.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:35 PM   #515
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Happy New Year everyone and thank you all for the marvelous birthday wishes!

I have started our thread for January here: January Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?

I have tried to pare down the introduction. I want to make sure that we have a good intro, but that it's not so long or complicated that people skip it. Any input to the introduction for future months would be very helpful.

Question: should we have this thread locked and move everyone over to the January thread?
Old 01-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #516
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, we should move to the new thread. These get so long after 1 month.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #517
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
If you still have the book, it's on pages 211 and 212 in the Living book.
Thanks. I have the Kindle version of both books on my iPad, so the page numbers won't match - but, I think it would be an excellent idea for me to go back and reread most of the book anyway!

Edited to add: I'll stop posting on this thread now!

Last edited by UnstrungHarp; 01-01-2013 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: adding a note about the new thread
Old 01-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #518
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Okay everyone--come on over to the new January thread here: January Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone? and start posting!

I'll let the mods know to close this thread.
Closed Thread