Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 07:15 AM   #481
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Grr... Ketones this morning were just 0.4. I had finally stopped doing testing in the evenings a couple of days ago since I was so happy with all my 1.0+ readings. But yesterday my protein and carbs were probably too high, even though I can't be sure. Restaurants again....the same Chinese buffet where I have done so well in previous weeks, according to ketone readings the next day.

What's funny is that I wasn't even legitimately hungry - but it was "lunch time," and we were out with my parents. As always, I only got stuff that appeared to be acceptable (there's a hibachi grill, so you pick exactly what you want and can choose whether to have sauces or not), and just used one plate (no seconds). I should have known something went wrong because later in the day I started feeling hungry for dinner. Had to scrounge around the kitchen to find something that wouldn't bring up my numbers much higher than they already were. Of course, my food log estimate of what I ate at the buffet could have been way off to begin with.

Oh well, I can also blame it on my upcoming TOM, although it seems a little early for that (should start in 4 days or so).

This morning's weight was exactly the same again: 144.4. It seems weird to me that it is not changing even one decimal point, up or down. BF% was still at 29.0% too. I feel some muscle soreness from my most recent workout(s), so maybe there will be a little whoosh tomorrow if that goes away.

Also, my attempts to keep fat intake closer to 100g have failed miserably over the past few days...eating to satiety seems to put me at 140ish or more, no matter what. We've really been eating out for dinner more than usual throughout the past week. My typical restaurant choices are always the smallest available portions of sirloin or salmon with a crouton-less Caesar salad and a green veggie side, like broccoli or green beans. (Obviously not at the Chinese buffet, though.) Guess I will see what this week brings, since we will be eating at home more often as our lifestyle returns to normal after New Year's.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2012, 08:03 AM   #482
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
My protein was high yesterday also and this morning I was rewarded with a .2 ketone reading. Thankfully I'm back down to 145.6 on the scale.

TOM approaching, off my routine, mom in town, etc. I believe these are all contributing factors to my inability to control my protein intake these past few days.

Lindsay--I'm with you, after the New Year hopefully things will settle down into a more normal routine.

Also, Lindsay, have you checked the instructions on your new scale? It doesn't seem right that you wouldn't fluctuate at all.

Buffy--I'm with you on the hormones. Mine are messing with me this week and even though I know that's why I'm hungry and bloated, I am still more sensitive about it (because of the hormones). I'm crossing my fingers that you see the number you want on January 1st!
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 12-31-2012, 08:07 AM   #483
Major LCF Poster!

This thread in the New Year

What do you guys think about taking this thread monthly in the New Year? I love the camaraderie and information that's being shared here.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:21 AM   #484
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
What do you guys think about taking this thread monthly in the New Year? I love the camaraderie and information that's being shared here.
yes, yes and yes!
Old 12-31-2012, 08:25 AM   #485
Big Yapper!!!!

Lindsay, I am sure this isn't the deal with your scale but reminded me of a year ago when one of my Christmas gifts was a new toaster oven. The display panel on the front had lots of different settings but no matter which button I pushed or what knob I turned, I could not get the readings to change. I was about ready to pack it up to take it back when I noticed a loose corner and peeled off the stick on that was over the display panel, then the "real" panel showed up and all the knobs and buttons worked.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:29 AM   #486
Big Yapper!!!!

Ok, one more busy week and then we will see where my ketones fall. I am still below 0.5, this morning it was only 0.1. . My weight dropped yet another 2/10's of a lb so I am doing fine, slight increase in appetite due to hormonal swing but it is kind of making me wonder if these hormonal cycles also effect our ketone readings? Notice that 3 of us are having low ones at this time. I went back to my charts and one other month it showed low readings, but then another one it didn't. I have to go to Austin this week to help out with my grandson but after that, when I get back, I think our life will be back to normal and maybe I can get some tracking of my food in.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:38 AM   #487
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Quote:
Great idea!
Old 12-31-2012, 08:39 AM   #488
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Lindsay, I am sure this isn't the deal with your scale but reminded me of a year ago when one of my Christmas gifts was a new toaster oven. The display panel on the front had lots of different settings but no matter which button I pushed or what knob I turned, I could not get the readings to change. I was about ready to pack it up to take it back when I noticed a loose corner and peeled off the stick on that was over the display panel, then the "real" panel showed up and all the knobs and buttons worked.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:42 AM   #489
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Also, Lindsay, have you checked the instructions on your new scale? It doesn't seem right that you wouldn't fluctuate at all.
Quote:
Quote:
Buffy, that's hilarious!! Although that's not the issue with my scale, it does remind me of my first iPhone that I thought had a speaker problem because I could barely hear whoever I was talking to (it still had the plastic over the speaker!!).

Kristn, I dunno...maybe my weight is just unusually stable, because I did set up the scale with the instructions (put in my age, height, gender and "normal" as opposed to athletic). I also set up a second user just like the first one, only in athletic mode so I could look at both of them. Because I feel the normal one is probably more accurate for me, that is the one I am logging. Oddly enough, athlete mode is just as consistent as normal mode, but it always displays .2 pounds less (144.2), and the BF% is always lower, but I don't remember the exact figure. How funny that I lose .2 pounds just by calling myself athletic!

The one thing that makes me believe the scale isn't "stuck" is that the normal mode BF% has fluctuated slightly each day (29.1, 29.0, 29.2, then 29.0 again).

Also, I think turning this into a monthly thread is a great idea!
Old 12-31-2012, 09:16 AM   #490
Major LCF Poster!

Buffy--that toaster oven story is hysterical!!

Lindsay--your weight shouldn't fluctuate with the different settings, just the BF%, that makes me slightly suspicious. I have changed all of the settings on mine trying to get it to read close to my BF% and my weight always stays the same.

I'm also looking for suggestions for the title of the monthly thread. I can keep it roughly the same, say January Nutritional Ketosis--Testing Blood Ketones, or something to that effect. But there are people on this thread who aren't necessarily testing their blood ketones and I don't want to discourage participation if someone is not able, willing, or ready to test yet.

Then there's the title from the old monthly thread--January Nutritional Ketosis Thread! and put a link from both this thread and the November Nutritional Ketosis Thread.

What do you all think?
Old 12-31-2012, 09:22 AM   #491
Big Yapper!!!!

I like the January Nutritional Ketosis Thread. Will follow wherever you lead me though, you know that
Old 12-31-2012, 09:29 AM   #492
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
I like the January Nutritional Ketosis Thread. Will follow wherever you lead me though, you know that
Ditto!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 10:26 AM   #493
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Quote:
please do!
Old 12-31-2012, 10:54 AM   #494
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Oh yes please.

Quote:
This.
Is.
Awesomely.
Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnstrungHarp View Post
Buffy, that's hilarious!! Although that's not the issue with my scale, it does remind me of my first iPhone that I thought had a speaker problem because I could barely hear whoever I was talking to (it still had the plastic over the speaker!!).
You all are making me feel so much more normal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnstrungHarp View Post
Oddly enough, athlete mode is just as consistent as normal mode, but it always displays .2 pounds less (144.2), and the BF% is always lower, but I don't remember the exact figure. How funny that I lose .2 pounds just by calling myself athletic!
Totally calling myself athletic now.
I feel as if I have a lower body fat already!

Quote:
Oh me too.

Quote:
Buffy--that toaster oven story is hysterical!!

I'm also looking for suggestions for the title of the monthly thread. I can keep it roughly the same, say January Nutritional Ketosis--Testing Blood Ketones, or something to that effect. But there are people on this thread who aren't necessarily testing their blood ketones and I don't want to discourage participation if someone is not able, willing, or ready to test yet.
I'm not testing every day or even at all right now - I want to wait until things settle down - pretty much the same as you all have outlined.
But it would take a lot more to discourage my participation than a thread title. But I do understand I am tougher than most (where is the sarcasm icon?? )

Kristn I don't mind gushing at least one more time - I so appreciate your success ( you've actually had a fantastic 2012 on many levels!), but your time and attention in helping others get success is very touching. Thank you!

Last edited by JMCM1; 12-31-2012 at 10:55 AM..
Old 12-31-2012, 12:13 PM   #495
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luigi_uk
WOE: nutritional ketosis-Maintenance
Start Date: Aug 2012
Weight is climbing, 69.1kg last night 15% BF
Last 24 hours readings
Sunday morning
BS fasting 5.4
BK fasting 0.1

Sunday night last thing
BS 6.3
BK 0.5

Monday morning
BS fasting 5.3
BK fasting 0.2

I been monitoring how I feel in my workouts, today I did 60 minutes CV, while working out I noticed I didn't feel the power I used to feel 30 minutes in to a high carb workout, but saying that at 60 minutes in felt no exhaustion at all which I used to feel before on high ca. I don't know if this stuff it's just head stuff because I read it in volek and phinney books but it did feel like that, I do miss the afterglow but I prefer to stick with it regardless...
Happy new year all x

Last edited by luigi_uk; 12-31-2012 at 12:22 PM..
Old 12-31-2012, 12:40 PM   #496
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bjjcaveman
Stats: 180.0/180.4/165.0
WOE: nutritional ketosis
Just wanted to wish everyone a happy and ketone filled new year!

No ketone measurement today... But I've been eating well and plan to until the impending countdown and ringing in 2013... Will try to limit my imbibing to red wine and top shelf liquor (I remember mom2zeke saying somewhere top shelf stuff is friendly to ketosis).... This will be my excuse should anyone offer to buy me a drink... " I can only have top shelf stuff as part of my diet!"

Happy new year everyone. I'm so glad to have found my way over here.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:49 PM   #497
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Just got back from visiting relatives. Did not bring any coconut oil with me. But my sister cooked me a fritata early in the visit. Actually ate the whole thing in a couple of days minus 2 slices other people in my family ate. Thought the protein would have kicked me out of ketosis, but next day I was at 1.5 mM -- higher than the rest of the days of the visit. I ran between 0.5-0.9 mM during that time.
I ate some nuts (Planter's mixed nuts) a couple of times. Both times got bad stomach ache/acid reflux. Strange! I don't eat them at home (or keep them around). But I never had issues with them before NK.
Planning to do my first workout in a week today. Hope that goes well.

--
Phillip
Old 12-31-2012, 12:52 PM   #498
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BigRunner
Stats: 247/190/168
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Made an investment in a whole bunch of testing strips. While I am waiting for them to arrive, I will formulate my plan to strategically use them.

I'm hoping the testing will help me get to goal weight and along the way learn:

How much protein can I really handle?
How many carbs can I really handle? Could I add a sweet potato occasionally and still be ok? (for example)
What effect does 'xxxxx' food have on my ketones?
How does a few low carb beers affect things? How long to get back into ketosis?

I want to use the strips to kind of "establish the boundaries". Does that make sense?
I think knowing where the boundaries are (for right now anyway) would be a huge help to not only lose the weight, but also for transitioning into maintenance as well.

Sorry for the book again. That's what I get for thinking out loud.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:27 PM   #499
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjcaveman View Post
Will try to limit my imbibing to red wine and top shelf liquor (I remember mom2zeke saying somewhere top shelf stuff is friendly to ketosis).... This will be my excuse should anyone offer to buy me a drink... " I can only have top shelf stuff as part of my diet!"
LOL, that's my new plan for tonight. Only top-shelf will do for ketosis! I love it.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:38 PM   #500
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you all for chiming in about the new January thread! I'll try and set something up this afternoon or tomorrow. I'll post here and on the old November thread when it's ready.

I'm running around like crazy today. I'm finally excited about my birthday and there's lots to do to prepare.

BigRunner-that's the perfect way to use the strips. Once you know where your limits are you don't need them as much (or at all). And not a book at all, compared to some of us you're quite concise.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:34 PM   #501
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRunner View Post
Made an investment in a whole bunch of testing strips. While I am waiting for them to arrive, I will formulate my plan to strategically use them.

I'm hoping the testing will help me get to goal weight and along the way learn:

How much protein can I really handle?
How many carbs can I really handle? Could I add a sweet potato occasionally and still be ok? (for example)
What effect does 'xxxxx' food have on my ketones?
How does a few low carb beers affect things? How long to get back into ketosis?

I want to use the strips to kind of "establish the boundaries". Does that make sense?
I think knowing where the boundaries are (for right now anyway) would be a huge help to not only lose the weight, but also for transitioning into maintenance as well.

Sorry for the book again. That's what I get for thinking out loud.
Bigrunner, please don't apologize for thinking your posts are too long, they aren't.

You plan on how you use the strips is perfect, that is a sure way to know what lowers or doesn't your BK readings. You know, from what I read, people can be successful in losing weight with up to 50 grams of carbs a day, but we can only find that out on ourselves by experimenting. I just hope that someday I can really truly understand all of this. Hoping for more books and articles to come out in the next year.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:35 PM   #502
Big Yapper!!!!

Kristn, what day is your birthday? Happy Birthday to you!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 02:39 PM   #503
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

Then there's the title from the old monthly thread--January Nutritional Ketosis Thread! and put a link from both this thread and the November Nutritional Ketosis Thread.

What do you all think?
January Nutritional Ketosis....0.5mM And Beyond!

January Nutritional Ketosis..Testing, Testing

January Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?

January Nutritional Ketosis...What's your number?

I can go on and on.

As long as the necessity of testing is addressed in the intro, I don't think people will feel they can't be there if they are not testing.

Last edited by drjlocarb; 12-31-2012 at 02:42 PM..
Old 12-31-2012, 04:47 PM   #504
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Kristn, what day is your birthday? Happy Birthday to you!!!
Thanks Buffy! My birthday is tomorrow. Lots of celebrating tonight and tomorrow. DH is the main driver, I've been a bit reluctant to move into this next decade, but I'm slowly getting into the spirit.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:51 PM   #505
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post

I can go on and on.

As long as the necessity of testing is addressed in the intro, I don't think people will feel they can't be there if they are not testing.
Smart and funny!!

Quote:
Thanks Buffy! My birthday is tomorrow. Lots of celebrating tonight and tomorrow. DH is the main driver, I've been a bit reluctant to move into this next decade, but I'm slowly getting into the spirit.
I hear you (said the person who will soon turn 55...).
Happy birthday - plus you look absolutely beautiful!
Old 12-31-2012, 05:14 PM   #506
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post

I can go on and on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Smart and funny!!
I agree! I'm leaning towards January Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Old 12-31-2012, 07:07 PM   #507
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
I like January Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?

My meter and strips should be here within a couple of weeks so I will start testing soon.

Still struggling to lose the weight I picked up before the holidays. Doing a little better and maybe by the time my meter comes I will be able to keep the protein between 45- 50g a day rather than 50-53g.

Kristn hope you have a great birthday. Mine was today and my DH and I went to dinner. We stay home for the evening and enjoy our Christmas lights which are still up.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #508
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Happy birthday Kristn!
Old 01-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #509
Senior LCF Member

Happy New Year to everybody and Happy Birthday to Kristn!

Ketones 1.3 this morning!

Weight 144.4 for at least the fifth consecutive day (the entire time I've had my new digital scale).

Yesterday's calories/macros/percentages:

Calories: 1,562
Protein: 78g (312 cal)
Carbs: 20g (80 cal)
Fiber: 3g
Fat: 130 (1170 cal)

F: 75% / P: 20% / C: 5%

I've managed to keep fat under 150g for the past 4 days, and yesterday was the lowest yet. I'm dying to see if lowering fat grams is what it takes to get the scale moving, so I'm really going to start focusing on that.

I am trying to understand how my fasting morning ketones can be consistently high without losing weight. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong or oversimplifying, but wouldn't a morning ketone reading of any number at all signify that some body fat is being broken down somewhere? I understand why high ketone readings throughout the day may not mean that you're burning body fat because it could be reflecting the breakdown of dietary fat instead. But if the last thing I ate was dinner at 6pm, and I test ketones at 7am the next day, wouldn't that be too long after eating to still be burning the fat from that dinner? I suppose that would depend on how big that dinner was.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #510
Big Yapper!!!!

Kristn

Lindsay, I am terrible at truly understanding how ketosis works and on weight loss but I can tell you that I went through the whole month of November in ketosis and lost less than 2 lbs that month.
Closed Thread