Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #451
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
for the .1% loss.

And congrats on finishing the Body Beast rotation. Have you gotten your next videos yet?

Thanks!

Yes, my new videos actually arrived in the mail today - I'm so excited, I've got to try one of them. I was kind of planning on taking a rest day today, but that was before the mail was delivered! I might do "All Out Low Impact HIIT" since I did a strength training workout yesterday.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #452
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
good evening guys!! Welcome to the new posters!! Congrats on the losses!!

An update from me- so I brought some old lab work that I had done a year ago (almost exactly) that was more comprehensive- it showed my B12 levels and a whole bunch of other stuff. She saw that my Free T3 could use improvement- based on my labs. She also checked me structurally for a sluggish thyroid and confirmed it based on reflexes and spinal alignment (or something?). She wants to check my reverse T3 and Thyroid antibodies before putting me on anything.

According to my labs from last year, my B12 levels are very low- she said she wants to recheck those, and if they are still low she will recommend B12 shots most likely.

She is also checking my adrenals, iron, cortisol (via saliva), testosterone, estrogen, among other things. I feel really comfortable with her and feel confident that she will help me begin to feel more clear headed and have more energy- which will hopefully help me in the way of weight loss.

I won't go back to see her for 2 weeks....I hate to wait that long, but it takes time to process the labs. Luckily, i can do the saliva test tomorrow instead of needing to wait several weeks (if you catch my drift).

As far as my food/BK....I'll stick to VLC, but won't put much energy into checking my BKs regularly and getting macros just so- take a bit of a break until I know what is going on w/me. I'll still stick around here though

You know, I have felt very low energy and un-motivated w/life in general for a while now. I have always known that my adrenals were out of whack- at least that's what the acupuncturist always said. So when this DO asked me how long I have felt this way- I thought about it- at least 9 years!!! It amazes me how we just get used to not feeling our optimal selves. Despite eating so well- and knowing that i should feel more energetic and clear headed- knowing my food was in order- I still didn't "do much" about it. It's similar to those who eat donuts and other junky food- they get used to feeling crappy all the time.

Thanks for reading (or skimming)!

Question- can someone please tell me what YMMV stands for???? it makes me crazy when I can't understand some of these short hands.

Thanks!!!!
Old 12-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #453
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
I'm so glad you checked in Sophie! I think you're on the right track, the testing that you're having done is great--you should have lots of good information about the direction to take very soon.

I'm glad you're sticking with us!

YMMV=your mileage may vary (you may have a different experience or get different results)
Old 12-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #454
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Great to hear Sophie, sounds like a good Dr. who will work with you to get you feeling better, please stick around with us, you are one of us Plus, I think most of us have a lot of these issues going on.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:43 PM   #455
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

YMMV=your mileage may vary (you may have a different experience or get different results)
i woulda never figured that one out...thanks
Old 12-29-2012, 05:43 PM   #456
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Great to hear Sophie, sounds like a good Dr. who will work with you to get you feeling better, please stick around with us, you are one of us Plus, I think most of us have a lot of these issues going on.
Thanks Buffy!
Btw, I can't believe how well you are doing!
Old 12-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #457
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bjjcaveman
Stats: 180.0/180.4/165.0
WOE: nutritional ketosis
Hope you guys don't mind again that i'm plagiarizing my blog post!

Weight: 179.4
AM Ketones: 1.2
PM Ketones:
AM Blood Glucose: 72
PM Blood Glucose:
Hours of Sleep: 7:56
Energy Level: Excellent
Physical Activity: Crossfit

I didn't measure my PM ketones for two reasons.

1. I don't think it provides an accurate reflection as to what's going on in my body since it's taken so close to when I eat dinner. And since I include coconut oil and other fats in my dinner, that can skew the measurement of ketones since the liver breaks down medium chain triglycerides immediately into ketones. For the purposes of my experiment, and for cost effectiveness, measuring AM ketones should be sufficient.

2. I only have 1 strip left! I ordered another shipment, but they're still not here yet. So I wanted to be most efficient with my final strip for the time being, and decided it'd be better to use it to measure my AM ketone levels tomorrow rather than tonite.

Today was my third day of eating the same exact meal, with the only variation being my physical activity. Day 16 I did nothing. Day 17 I did some BJJ training. Day 18, today, I went to my first Crossfit class ever, and it kicked my ass. My legs are still sore from this morning. I anticipate that my ketone levels will be higher tomorrow given the intensity of the Crossfit work out (I almost threw up at one point... luckily I did it in a fasting state so I had nothing to hurl!).

I was little surprised at my morning fasting glucose. 72 is the lowest it's been. I was curious to see if it would cause me to bonk out during the Crossfit training session... but it didn't, which confirms to me that my body is still doing a good job of running off of my bountiful fat stores. I think this is one of the true tangibile benefits of nutritional ketosis above any other diet that is carbohydrate dependent as the primary source of energy.

My energy today level was great, but I think that had more to do with my almost getting 8 hours of sleep than with the fact that my ketone levels were 1.2 mmol.

We'll see if I'm right about my ketones in the AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:22 AM   #458
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luigi_uk
WOE: nutritional ketosis-Maintenance
Start Date: Aug 2012
well this morning reading was strange, last night i tested my ketone levels (i know how unreliable urine strips are) with a urine strip before going to bed at 1.00AM and the result looked higher than 0.5. This morning at 10.00AM, no food or drink since going to bed my blood ketones were 0.1 and blood sugar 5.2.

yesterday my partner and i spent all day with friends, i bought my bag full of low carb foods, macadamia, brazil and cashew nuts, one big avocado, tahini and coconut oil. for tea i chose chicken casserole and cabbage from the options adding the co into coffee and the meal, ate the avocado with salt while everyone else were gouging themselves on copious amounts of sugary desserts.

I feel like i kept my carbs and protein limits below 25 and 90 g's but i might have gone over with the nuts, its hard to tell without scales.

What i have discovered with my NK journey is that the times i get the highest blood ketones readings are when i have eaten a lot of fat that day. It seems my body doesnt like to produce ketones from bodyfat, only dietry fat. could this be linked to my hepatitis? no idea, just sharing my thoughts, this WOE is only 4 months old for me, i been eating high carb for 50 odd years

ps...i have no desire to lose weight, im doing NK for the health benefits it offers but not to lose weight, im thin enough all ready

please tell me what you think!

Last edited by luigi_uk; 12-30-2012 at 03:42 AM..
Old 12-30-2012, 06:06 AM   #459
Major LCF Poster!

Ugh. I gained 2 pounds overnight and my ketones are .4. TOM is on the way and I ate way too much yesterday. I know that it's a lot of fluid retention, but geez! I'm hoping today is a better day food-wise and that my ketones are back up tomorrow.

Last edited by mom2zeke; 12-30-2012 at 06:08 AM..
Old 12-30-2012, 06:14 AM   #460
Major LCF Poster!

Luigi--you could easily have gone over on both carbs and protein with what you ate, especially without measuring. Just get back on track today.

Not sure about the ketones from dietary fat vs. body fat and hepatitis. Since you have very little body fat and are ill you body may be protecting its BF from being further reduced. Your ketones should be from dietary fat since you're not trying to lose!
Old 12-30-2012, 06:18 AM   #461
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi_uk View Post
well this morning reading was strange, last night i tested my ketone levels (i know how unreliable urine strips are) with a urine strip before going to bed at 1.00AM and the result looked higher than 0.5. This morning at 10.00AM, no food or drink since going to bed my blood ketones were 0.1 and blood sugar 5.2.

yesterday my partner and i spent all day with friends, i bought my bag full of low carb foods, macadamia, brazil and cashew nuts, one big avocado, tahini and coconut oil. for tea i chose chicken casserole and cabbage from the options adding the co into coffee and the meal, ate the avocado with salt while everyone else were gouging themselves on copious amounts of sugary desserts.

I feel like i kept my carbs and protein limits below 25 and 90 g's but i might have gone over with the nuts, its hard to tell without scales.

What i have discovered with my NK journey is that the times i get the highest blood ketones readings are when i have eaten a lot of fat that day. It seems my body doesnt like to produce ketones from bodyfat, only dietry fat. could this be linked to my hepatitis? no idea, just sharing my thoughts, this WOE is only 4 months old for me, i been eating high carb for 50 odd years

ps...i have no desire to lose weight, im doing NK for the health benefits it offers but not to lose weight, im thin enough all ready

please tell me what you think!
Luigi - just to be clear, are you using both urine strips and blood strips?

Also first thing that catches my eye are the nuts! Also the chicken casserole, maybe the restaurant added carbs to the sauce?

regarding the hepatitis - I haven't done any research regarding hepatitis and nutritional ketosis, but if I have time today at work I'll see what I can dig up. It's an interesting thought... since a lot of what nutritional ketosis depends on is healthy function of the liver.

It might help my research to know a little more about the hepatitis (autoimmune vs viral vs steato-hepatitis vs drug induced etc...) though I understand if that's too much to share.. I'm still sort of new to the message board thing so I don't want to violate etiquette or anything asking about this.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:22 AM   #462
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Luigi, you may be still be recovering from your Christmas foray. Although I am not testing blood ketones, all other indicators tell me that it takes me more like a week to get back into n.k. after just going over my carb and protein limits by just a bit. Give it a few more days of clean eating.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:22 AM   #463
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Ugh. I gained 2 pounds overnight and my ketones are .4. TOM is on the way and I ate way too much yesterday. I know that it's a lot of fluid retention, but geez! I'm hoping today is a better day food-wise and that my ketones are back up tomorrow.
Did you work out yesterday? What I seemed to gather before is that you are very active.. especially regarding kettlebells and what not.

I just read in the last part of The art of low carb living, that soreness from exercise can actually cause weight gain. Soreness and muscle swelling are related, and swelling is related to fluid retention...

0.4 is just sooooo close to 0.5 isn't it? I had a few of those readings myself just a few days ago.

I'm sure you'll pick it back up in no time!
Old 12-30-2012, 06:23 AM   #464
Major LCF Poster!

caveman--I hope your strips arrive soon! Are you going to combine bjj with Crossfit? You and Lindsay are the workout king and queen on this thread!

It's funny, DH and I did Crossfit 6 or 7 years ago and at the time everyone thought we were crazy. Now I see crossfit gyms popping up everywhere! In the end, it wasn't for us--but it did teach me that I could push myself physically much further than I thought I could.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:27 AM   #465
Senior LCF Member

Measurements from today

Weight: 179.6
AM Ketones: 2.0
AM Blood Glucose: 70

I think I can attribute these morning ketones to my intense cross fit workout yesterday! My body is super-duper sore today.

Also 70 is a new low in terms of fasting blood sugars. This diet really is amazing at helping to regulate sugars!
Old 12-30-2012, 06:29 AM   #466
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjcaveman View Post
Did you work out yesterday? What I seemed to gather before is that you are very active.. especially regarding kettlebells and what not.

I just read in the last part of The art of low carb living, that soreness from exercise can actually cause weight gain. Soreness and muscle swelling are related, and swelling is related to fluid retention...

0.4 is just sooooo close to 0.5 isn't it? I had a few of those readings myself just a few days ago.

I'm sure you'll pick it back up in no time!
I wish I could say it's from exercise, but the kettelbell studio has been closed over the past week and DH and I are doing a deload while they're closed. Obviously it's not fat gain, probably just water retention and lower ketones from too many carbs and too much protein. I hate that I'm so sensitive to that, even staying LC I can pop right out of ketosis.

But you're right, I'm very close and I hope that my ketones are back up tomorrow with clean eating. I am going off-plan on the first and I was hoping to stay clean and in ketosis right up to my off-plan birthday meal--the best laid plans....
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 12-30-2012, 06:30 AM   #467
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
caveman--I hope your strips arrive soon! Are you going to combine bjj with Crossfit? You and Lindsay are the workout king and queen on this thread!

It's funny, DH and I did Crossfit 6 or 7 years ago and at the time everyone thought we were crazy. Now I see crossfit gyms popping up everywhere! In the end, it wasn't for us--but it did teach me that I could push myself physically much further than I thought I could.
I'm hoping to use Crossfit to augment my BJJ. I'm still not quite at the level of conditioning I'd like to be at.

And I saw with the Crossfit class that it would push me to do more fullbody weight lifting and a more intense level than I could push myself to do. Whenever I used to go to the gym I would have the tendency to do a few sets here and there until I worked up a light sweat before patting myself on the back and calling it a day.

With what I saw yesterday at Crossfit at least.. I don't think it would allow me to leave leave early with pre-mature self satisfaction.

So I think its something that I'd like to continue.

Also mom2zeke - what does DH stand for? I haven't quite figured that one out.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:48 AM   #468
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Also mom2zeke - what does DH stand for? I haven't quite figured that one out.
Dear husband, darned husband, or d@#$% husband depending on the context.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:57 AM   #469
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Hi All,
Does anyone here read Regina Wilshire's Weight of the Evidence blog? She was really active when I was first low-carbing and she's had some interesting posts lately about JM and NK.

I thought her post entitled, Does "Nutritional Ketosis" Require 85% Fat? was spot on and it lead to a link to a post entitled Protein is Essential But Too Much is too Much which is also eye-opening.

Speaking of which, I will no longer be referencing JM or linking to any of his material. His latest blog posts with LC links has a link to David Duke's blog and apparently he was a guest on DD's radio show. It is beyond my comprehension that anyone could promote such evil and I cannot keep silent on this nor can I reference or promote his website any more.
I have read JM's most recent blog post and I do think he made a really stupid mistake and did not know who it was he was speaking with. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt..... it seemed totally out of character to begin with and no matter what, this will follow him like a bad smell. Too bad.....
Old 12-30-2012, 07:11 AM   #470
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I have read JM's most recent blog post and I do think he made a really stupid mistake and did not know who it was he was speaking with. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt..... it seemed totally out of character to begin with and no matter what, this will follow him like a bad smell. Too bad.....
I don't want to go into this too deeply here (I think it takes away from what we're doing re: NK), but I've read what JM posted and looked at the timeline and screenshots that others have posted and I believe that JM knew (or should have) soon after his appearance on the radio show before he posted the link. On 12/12 an unmistakeable comment was posted on his facebook page. I know that there are a lot of opinions on this and he truly may have been clueless if he missed the facebook comment. But either he didn't care or was careless and stupid. I also don't like the way he went on the attack in his apology, as if the reason people are upset is because he's being maligned on the internet, not because of his actions. He's not someone I'm interested in promoting and I'll leave it at that.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:29 AM   #471
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
I don't want to go into this too deeply here (I think it takes away from what we're doing re: NK), but I've read what JM posted and looked at the timeline and screenshots that others have posted and I believe that JM knew (or should have) soon after his appearance on the radio show before he posted the link. On 12/12 an unmistakeable comment was posted on his facebook page. I know that there are a lot of opinions on this and he truly may have been clueless if he missed the facebook comment. But either he didn't care or was careless and stupid. I also don't like the way he went on the attack in his apology, as if the reason people are upset is because he's being maligned on the internet, not because of his actions. He's not someone I'm interested in promoting and I'll leave it at that.
I was totally out of the loop. It seems monumentally stupid and/or careless. I respect your position and probably agree 100%......Nuff said.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:18 AM   #472
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Good morning!

Didn't test BK this AM as my DS and his family were still here and getting around to leave and go home. Plus, they have been so low since Christmas day, even though I have gotten back on track every day since. My weight was up today as well but I also am going into the week of my hormone cycling where if I still had periods, I would be having one. Sorry if TMI, but even though I am older, I guess I still have enough hormones being produced that I go through a monthly cycle. Very few symptoms these days but still just a few that I recognize and especially notice since I am weighing daily. Always discouraging to see those extra lbs for up to a week, even though we KNOW what is causing it. The one thing about it that I hate this time is that it might throw my weight up for my New Year's day first weigh in of the year. Darn it, I wanted to claim that new low that I saw the other day as my beginning of 2013 weight. I know that is silly, it all works out to the same result in the end.

I read JM off and on and have followed him through his N=1 experiment and one thing I thought about did come to pass. As he would not really reveal "what" he was eating exactly on his journey, I thought to myself, he is going to write a book about it when he is further into this. Well, that might come but I wasn't one bit surprised to see him advertise that he was selling his meal plans. I guess you have to weigh the good versus the bad in regards to having that DD on his show but doesn't it all come down to profit for so many?

Cathy, I too am usually totally out of the loop
Old 12-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #473
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
good evening guys!! Welcome to the new posters!! Congrats on the losses!!

An update from me- so I brought some old lab work that I had done a year ago (almost exactly) that was more comprehensive- it showed my B12 levels and a whole bunch of other stuff. She saw that my Free T3 could use improvement- based on my labs. She also checked me structurally for a sluggish thyroid and confirmed it based on reflexes and spinal alignment (or something?). She wants to check my reverse T3 and Thyroid antibodies before putting me on anything.

According to my labs from last year, my B12 levels are very low- she said she wants to recheck those, and if they are still low she will recommend B12 shots most likely.

She is also checking my adrenals, iron, cortisol (via saliva), testosterone, estrogen, among other things. I feel really comfortable with her and feel confident that she will help me begin to feel more clear headed and have more energy- which will hopefully help me in the way of weight loss.

I won't go back to see her for 2 weeks....I hate to wait that long, but it takes time to process the labs. Luckily, i can do the saliva test tomorrow instead of needing to wait several weeks (if you catch my drift).

As far as my food/BK....I'll stick to VLC, but won't put much energy into checking my BKs regularly and getting macros just so- take a bit of a break until I know what is going on w/me. I'll still stick around here though

You know, I have felt very low energy and un-motivated w/life in general for a while now. I have always known that my adrenals were out of whack- at least that's what the acupuncturist always said. So when this DO asked me how long I have felt this way- I thought about it- at least 9 years!!! It amazes me how we just get used to not feeling our optimal selves. Despite eating so well- and knowing that i should feel more energetic and clear headed- knowing my food was in order- I still didn't "do much" about it. It's similar to those who eat donuts and other junky food- they get used to feeling crappy all the time.

Thanks for reading (or skimming)!

Question- can someone please tell me what YMMV stands for???? it makes me crazy when I can't understand some of these short hands.

Thanks!!!!
Sophie...I"m so excited for you. This doc sounds like a gem. And adrenals get fixed FIRST, before anything else, so this doc is a definite winner in my book. And, the best test is the 24 hour saliva test, so another gold star for the doc!

You are going to be feeling so very very very much better...just remember that it takes a while to heal the endocrine system, and like me, you seem to have all aspects "off". Go slow and know that it will take time, but is well worth it! Congratulations!
Old 12-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #474
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Sophie I'm excited for you, too. It will take awhile and I am not optimized yet, myself, but I do feel "better". I have also been unmotivated with life in general - kind of lack of joy - hard to describe.

I feel better - my doc says she intends to help me feel MUCH better.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #475
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Luigi - just to be clear, are you using both urine strips and blood strips?

Also first thing that catches my eye are the nuts! Also the chicken casserole, maybe the restaurant added carbs to the sauce?

regarding the hepatitis - I haven't done any research regarding hepatitis and nutritional ketosis, but if I have time today at work I'll see what I can dig up. It's an interesting thought... since a lot of what nutritional ketosis depends on is healthy function of the liver.

It might help my research to know a little more about the hepatitis (autoimmune vs viral vs steato-hepatitis vs drug induced etc...) though I understand if that's too much to share.. I'm still sort of new to the message board thing so I don't want to violate etiquette or anything asking about this.

feel free to ask about my hep, i believe i caught it from my misspent youth, i am a recovering addict who has been clean and sober since 97. I get regular tests for my liver from my local hospital, and generally my liver is ok with most liver function test results in the normal range. A week ago i had a fibroscan which tests the liver for cirrosis/fibrosis etc; my score was 6.3, the danger zone starts at 7 meaning fibrosis level 1. So my liver is under threat but coping quite well. All though i have had a fatty liver diagnosis from a CT scan a while back, that is my main reason for changing my WOE to NK. I have read in a few places i trust that this WOE helps a fatty liver heal.

RE: urine strips and blood ketone strips, yes i use both as its too expensive to use just blood strips, so to get a general idea of whats going on i often use a urine strip as that will tell me if im ketosis at all, just not as exact as blood strips of course.

mom2zeke
on my recent fibroscan i retested my height and it was 170cm NOT 177cm i thought it was, so i was putting the wrong height in my bodyfat scales, keto generator etc etc, so after correcting my height in my BF scales it turns out my BF is 13 point something not 10 as before with the incorrect height
Old 12-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #476
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Sophie...I"m so excited for you. This doc sounds like a gem. And adrenals get fixed FIRST, before anything else, so this doc is a definite winner in my book. And, the best test is the 24 hour saliva test, so another gold star for the doc!

You are going to be feeling so very very very much better...just remember that it takes a while to heal the endocrine system, and like me, you seem to have all aspects "off". Go slow and know that it will take time, but is well worth it! Congratulations!
Shelley- thank you for the support, it is much appreciated! BTW, I remember reading on here how some of you who have done the saliva test had such a hard time producing enough saliva- totally not my problem...But, then again, I'm always thinking about food- which helps I'm sure
Old 12-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #477
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Sophie I'm excited for you, too. It will take awhile and I am not optimized yet, myself, but I do feel "better". I have also been unmotivated with life in general - kind of lack of joy - hard to describe.

I feel better - my doc says she intends to help me feel MUCH better.
Thanks Judy- I think that as long as I know I'm making progress, i'll feel better- even if it takes a while.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #478
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi_uk View Post
feel free to ask about my hep, i believe i caught it from my misspent youth, i am a recovering addict who has been clean and sober since 97. I get regular tests for my liver from my local hospital, and generally my liver is ok with most liver function test results in the normal range. A week ago i had a fibroscan which tests the liver for cirrosis/fibrosis etc; my score was 6.3, the danger zone starts at 7 meaning fibrosis level 1. So my liver is under threat but coping quite well. All though i have had a fatty liver diagnosis from a CT scan a while back, that is my main reason for changing my WOE to NK. I have read in a few places i trust that this WOE helps a fatty liver heal.
Looks like you're onto the right thing!

Here's some evidence to back it up!

They placed 5 patients with biopsy proven fatty liver on a ketogenic diet for 6 months and guess what... the mean weight loss was over 25 lbs (which i know you're not interested in)..

the part that will get your attention is that at the end of the study, they did biopsies of the liver, and they found that there was overall improvement in inflammation, degree of fatty liver, and fibrosis.

Quote:
Six months of a low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diet led to significant weight loss and histologic improvement of fatty liver disease.
Of course this didn't evaluate viral hepatitis and was only an n = 5... so your mileage may vary.. BUT it stands to reason that what's good for fatty liver (which you have) should also be good for viral-induced inflammation.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #479
Senior LCF Member

bjjcaveman.
The results are the same for fatty liver caused by a virus.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:36 PM   #480
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
Shelley- thank you for the support, it is much appreciated! BTW, I remember reading on here how some of you who have done the saliva test had such a hard time producing enough saliva- totally not my problem...But, then again, I'm always thinking about food- which helps I'm sure
Love it....for me it was hard getting in the last bit....and the "trick" I was told was to smell a lemon...and that helped a lot! If you get stuck, keep that in mind. Can't eat it, but you can smell it!
Closed Thread