Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #421
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
I think that the question becomes why you are trying to get higher ketone numbers. If you're losing (or maintaining) and in NK then do they give you an advantage? bjjcaveman raises an interesting point, does one have more leeway to go off plan if their numbers are higher? Maybe, but if you have to reduce protein and carbs to a very low level to get there you may be sacrificing your everyday "diet" for an occasional indulgence. While that might be an acceptible trade-off for some, I'd rather eat more/better every day. Doing this also reduces my desire for indulgences (I consider what I eat an indulgence most of the time) so having the higher numbers aren't necessarily an advantage.
Okay, I'm replying to my own post. I was just reading Peter Attia's recent blog post on ketosis and in the comments section he implies that a higher number has advantages (but it is not spelled out in the post--he says that he'll expand more in a later post). So maybe shooting for higher is better. I can't wait to read his promised blog post that addresses the subject.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #422
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Quote:
I would love this too! I have stopped tracking for now, but I would keep it up with an app like that!

You're working so hard to get things right, the weight-loss will come.
thanks for the support
Old 12-27-2012, 04:25 PM   #423
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Glad I wasn't the only one , I hated to admit I didn't know who that was either.
While I was in college (in Arkansas) I went to an acquaintances house...turned out that guy was associated with DD....that was the last time I went near them (I also happen to be jewish- so only a slight issue with him...)
Old 12-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #424
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
thanks for the support
I think the level that you're eating at now along with getting your thyroid optimized will work for you. It's going to take a bit of patience with the thyroid unfortunately, but hang in there!
Old 12-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #425
Senior LCF Member

Hey Guys! I just posted a new thread titled "How much fat do you eat?"

It kind of occurred to me that we all have different definitions of what "high fat" is. Some would consider eating anything above a few teaspoons of olive oil "high fat"- I would appreciate ya'll's feed back on this thread.

Thanks!!
Old 12-27-2012, 10:58 PM   #426
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bjjcaveman
Stats: 180.0/180.4/165.0
WOE: nutritional ketosis
Ate as perfect a diet as I could!

Total Calories: 1962
% From Fat: 77%
% From Protein: 20%
% From Carbs: 7%

PM Ketones: 0.7

Interesting that while I ate more calories yesterday.. and the break down of macronutrients was pretty similar, yesterdays PM ketones were 1.2. The only difference being that I exercised yesterday, and today I didn't. (I know volek and phinney said that exercise can increase ketone levels 0.25-0.5 immediately afterwards... I measured ketones about 4 hours after eating and 3 hours after exercising last nite so i'm not sure how this affected the measurement)

Man.. there just isn't any predicting!

Since I've been pretty good about logging my food, I think it'd be interesting for me to see how my numbers vary each day if I eat the same exact thing!

For the next three days, I'll try my best to eat the same exact meals as today. The only differences being if I exercise or not (I'll be working through Sunday ) so even my work activity should be the same.

There has got to be a pattern to this!

Last edited by bjjcaveman; 12-27-2012 at 11:04 PM..
Old 12-28-2012, 05:13 AM   #427
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Myles
Quote:
This is from the Performance book:

"The Ketone Zone
In order to experience the full spectrum of metabolic benefits assocated with keto-adaptation, it is necessary to restrict your carbohydrate and consume moderate protein to allow blood ketones to come up into the desirable range. In a healthy person normally consuming carbohydrate rich foods (greater than 100 grams/day), blood ketone levels (usually consisting of a 4-to-1 ratio of BOHB to AcAc) rarely exceed 0.2 millimolar. As carbohydrates are decreased to below 50 grams per day and protein is not consumed in excess, most people will produce ketone levels greater than 0.5 millimolar."

They go on to define what factors they are looking at to determine the best level of blood ketones: "One would be that level required to replace much of the brain's glucose use with ketones. A second criterion would be the blood ketone concentration that redues the body's oxidation of the essential amino acid leucine."

Finally they say: "Taking these factors in combination, a therapeutic range of blood ketone levels for and athlete starts at 0.5 millimolar BOHB at the lower end and improves up to 3.0 millimolar."

Hopefully this helps.

If you're not getting blood ketones above 0.5 you are probably eating too many carbs or too much protein to be in ketosis. You can be eating low carb and not be in ketosis. If you're keeping your carb level below 20 grams/day and not eating frankenfoods or sugar alcohols then it's probably due to overeating protein which is converted to glucose via gluconeogenesis.
HRM! Interesting. Thx Kristn. The keto pee sticks still turn pink or purple, and if there is some reading, doesn't that mean that i am producing ketones for energy instead of carbs? Guess i have to start tracking again...ffffffffffffffffffffff i hate tracking!

In a podcast with Phinney i listened to he even says even if you're in NK it doesn't mean weight loss, it just means good something "flow" i forget what the something was, just throwing that in :P
Old 12-28-2012, 06:19 AM   #428
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjcaveman View Post
Ate as perfect a diet as I could!

% From Fat: 77%
% From Protein: 20%
% From Carbs: 7%

PM Ketones: 0.7
bjjcaveman-- for being in ketosis! If you could post your gram amounts also that would be very helpful! The grams are much more important than the % and will help other people. I did a quick calculation and you're eating ~100g of protein and ~35g of carbs--is that correct?

Are you only doing pm ketones? It seems to me that am ketones (after overnight fast) are easier to see trends with precisely because you don't have the many daytime variations in when you eat and exercise. Of course, having both readings is probably even more useful, but expensive.

Quote:
Interesting that while I ate more calories yesterday.. and the break down of macronutrients was pretty similar, yesterdays PM ketones were 1.2. The only difference being that I exercised yesterday, and today I didn't. (I know volek and phinney said that exercise can increase ketone levels 0.25-0.5 immediately afterwards... I measured ketones about 4 hours after eating and 3 hours after exercising last nite so i'm not sure how this affected the measurement)

Man.. there just isn't any predicting!

Since I've been pretty good about logging my food, I think it'd be interesting for me to see how my numbers vary each day if I eat the same exact thing!

For the next three days, I'll try my best to eat the same exact meals as today. The only differences being if I exercise or not (I'll be working through Sunday ) so even my work activity should be the same.

There has got to be a pattern to this!
It will be interesting to see what you learn about your reaction to intake and exercise.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 12-28-2012, 06:26 AM   #429
Senior LCF Member

I'm actually tracking both AM and PM ketones.. Speaking of.. today's AM Ketones - 1.0!

mom2zeke - you are spot on with the gram estimations the fat/protein/carb break down last nite was 167/97/33 gms

In retrospect... regarding last nites diet.. the only way I could have improved it, was to forego a square of dark chocolate (4gm carbs) and skip out on the kombucha (8gm carbs)... but I'm not quite ready to give those up yet!

Will be sure to keep you posted.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:32 AM   #430
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolash View Post
HRM! Interesting. Thx Kristn. The keto pee sticks still turn pink or purple, and if there is some reading, doesn't that mean that i am producing ketones for energy instead of carbs? Guess i have to start tracking again...ffffffffffffffffffffff i hate tracking!
I don't know about the pee sticks vs. the blood. People have reported that there isn't a relationship between the two as they measure different ketones and the pee ones are the ones being excreted vs. the ones in your bloodstream used for fuel.

Tracking is a PITA and I do not enjoy it myself. Are you starting to lose at all? If you are losing then it's probably not important, but if you're still not losing then tracking is really one of the best ways to know exactly what you are eating and make adjustments to your diet.

Quote:
In a podcast with Phinney i listened to he even says even if you're in NK it doesn't mean weight loss, it just means good something "flow" i forget what the something was, just throwing that in :P
Absolutely, being in ketosis does not equal weight loss (this is a repeated them in the books and podcasts)! It shows that you are accessing fat for fuel, but it can come from dietary fat as well as your fat stores. You have to be in an energy deficit to lose weight and as you heard in that podcast Dr. Phinney recommends reducing fat in your diet to create the energy deficit after you have the correct gram levels of protein and carbs to get into ketosis.

Remember--carbs and protein are the two macronutrients that provide glucose to your body. If either one of these is too high for your individual physiology you will not get into ketosis. If you are still not losing once ketosis is established, reducing fat is the strategy recommended to get into an energy deficit and lose weight.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:35 AM   #431
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjcaveman View Post
I'm actually tracking both AM and PM ketones.. Speaking of.. today's AM Ketones - 1.0!
good job!

Quote:
In retrospect... regarding last nites diet.. the only way I could have improved it, was to forego a square of dark chocolate (4gm carbs) and skip out on the kombucha (8gm carbs)... but I'm not quite ready to give those up yet!

Will be sure to keep you posted.
If you start losing and stay in ketosis then there's no need to give those up. They do add a lot of carbs though and you'd probably see higher ketone numbers without them. OTOH, part of any successful plan is making it work for you and if those things keep you on plan then don't get rid of them until they don't work any more.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:39 AM   #432
Major LCF Poster!

This morning my ketones were .7 (they've been the same for the last 3 days). I'm glad they're over .5 and I seem to be weight-stable for now.

How is everyone else this morning?
Old 12-28-2012, 08:40 AM   #433
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Good morning!

Caveman, you are our new science experiement!! You are doing great and interesting to read about how carefully you are tracking and following everything. So glad to have you here.

I am finally back into very low ketosis after my Christmas day run in with carbs. I measured .05 last night, I usually don't check at night but was so curious after 2 good days but this morning, was .01 which didn't surprise me since they are always lower in the AM. So, that means I have a little ways to go to get back in the zone of .05 or above.

The good news is that I have lost the 2 lbs I gained plus 4/10's more to be an even 184 this morning which was my New Year's goal. Very happy about that.

Kristn, you probably know this, when you are out of ketosis for a short time, and then get back in, do you go through the induction flu and all that all over again? I sure hope not, or maybe it would be good if I did. I sure didn't feel all that well in Sept. when I started and it might make me really really stop and think before I ate off plan again.

DD and I were talking yesterday about how one would handle maintainence and I told her that I was following you with high interest Kristn so that when I get there I will have some guidelines.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:02 AM   #434
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BigRunner
Stats: 247/190/168
WOE: Paleo/Primal
I have been following these NK threads since the beginning, first time poster.

I have read both the Living and Performance books.

I have not been tracking other than using the "Rule of 7s" to keep an eye on protein (keep around 100g). I have been low carb for years. Managed to keep around 40 pounds off, but never able to push toward goal weight. I am hoping that the excess protein has been what has been holding me back. "Watching protein" has gotten me from around 212 down to 203 this morning. I am not quite sure I can own that number yet. I have an awful time getting past a 205ish set point.

I received the free Nova meter with 2 ketone strips a couple of months ago, but was too scared to poke my fingers to do the test. Yesterday, I got over the fear and just did it. Yesterday's first thing in the morning test was .9 (after a day where I went quite high on the protein). Reigned in the protein yesterday and this morning's reading was 1.5! No more test strips. I need to register for the two free ones.

A couple of questions:
Money is fairly tight. Since I am losing slowly and in Ketosis, what should my strategy be to maximize my use of the strips? Test every other day? Only when I eat something out of the normal? Weekly? Not test?

Exercise: I am doing 2 weight lifting workouts per week (P90X videos). A couple days ago the wife and I joined a gym that specializes in boxing/kickboxing workouts. Plan on doing this 3 times a week. Too much? ok?

Sorry for the novel. Pretty excited after the readings confirmed I am at least headed in the right direction.

Thanks to all of you for sharing so much information all the time. It feels like I have my own personal team of coaches.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #435
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRunner View Post

I have not been tracking other than using the "Rule of 7s" to keep an eye on protein (keep around 100g). I have been low carb for years. Managed to keep around 40 pounds off, but never able to push toward goal weight. I am hoping that the excess protein has been what has been holding me back. "Watching protein" has gotten me from around 212 down to 203 this morning. I am not quite sure I can own that number yet. I have an awful time getting past a 205ish set point.

I received the free Nova meter with 2 ketone strips a couple of months ago, but was too scared to poke my fingers to do the test. Yesterday, I got over the fear and just did it. Yesterday's first thing in the morning test was .9 (after a day where I went quite high on the protein). Reigned in the protein yesterday and this morning's reading was 1.5! No more test strips. I need to register for the two free ones.

A couple of questions:
Money is fairly tight. Since I am losing slowly and in Ketosis, what should my strategy be to maximize my use of the strips? Test every other day? Only when I eat something out of the normal? Weekly? Not test?

Exercise: I am doing 2 weight lifting workouts per week (P90X videos). A couple days ago the wife and I joined a gym that specializes in boxing/kickboxing workouts. Plan on doing this 3 times a week. Too much? ok?

Sorry for the novel. Pretty excited after the readings confirmed I am at least headed in the right direction.

Thanks to all of you for sharing so much information all the time. It feels like I have my own personal team of coaches.
and many congratulations!
Kristn will be able to tell you specific things, but well done on being in ketosis.

I bought enough strips to bring the price down to $2/each, so I have a lot, but I am still not willing to test every day if I am losing and am not hungry.

Kristn does work out, so again, she'll be able to give you better guidance.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #436
Big Yapper!!!!

Big. Testing for BK is interesting and kind of fun to keep track of but you can certainly do NK without them. Once you get into ketosis and are firmly in, then as long as you eat what you know is LC, you pretty much know you are in and would not need to test daily. If you eat something you suspect or know is higher in carbs and want to see how it effects your ketosis, you could check.

This is kind of crazy but I almost use them as a reward. I really like the satisfaction of seeing a number in the AM that is in the losing zone and feel like the money I spend on them is a reward for my hard work and then seeing the satisfaction of that right numbers. Goofy!

Hopefully they will come down in price as more people get on the NK bandwagon and some smart company gives them some competition.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #437
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:

This is kind of crazy but I almost use them as a reward. I really like the satisfaction of seeing a number in the AM that is in the losing zone and feel like the money I spend on them is a reward for my hard work and then seeing the satisfaction of that right numbers. Goofy!

Hopefully they will come down in price as more people get on the NK bandwagon and some smart company gives them some competition.

Not goofy at all! Or if it is, then I'm happy to be goofy. I have a little celebration every time I get a good reading.

This morning: 1.0. I'll take it, since I was afraid my protein was a little high yesterday.

And today, I've started taking the step of consciously reducing my fat intake so it's more like 100g rather than 150g per day.

One more little update: I used a Christmas gift card to Academy Sports to get a digital scale. I was so tired of trying to read the analog scale first thing in the morning when my eyes can't even focus yet. I wasn't intentionally looking for a scale that had the body fat percentage feature since I know how notorious they are for being very wrong. But, out of the two scales they had in the store, I preferred the looks of the one that had the BF%. So this morning I introduced myself to my new scale, and it promptly let me know that I'm still 144...actually 144.4 now that I can be all precise. Then it tried to get on my good side by telling me my BF% was 29.1% (I wish!).
Old 12-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #438
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnstrungHarp View Post
Not goofy at all! Or if it is, then I'm happy to be goofy. I have a little celebration every time I get a good reading.

This morning: 1.0. I'll take it, since I was afraid my protein was a little high yesterday.

And today, I've started taking the step of consciously reducing my fat intake so it's more like 100g rather than 150g per day.

One more little update: I used a Christmas gift card to Academy Sports to get a digital scale. I was so tired of trying to read the analog scale first thing in the morning when my eyes can't even focus yet. I wasn't intentionally looking for a scale that had the body fat percentage feature since I know how notorious they are for being very wrong. But, out of the two scales they had in the store, I preferred the looks of the one that had the BF%. So this morning I introduced myself to my new scale, and it promptly let me know that I'm still 144...actually 144.4 now that I can be all precise. Then it tried to get on my good side by telling me my BF% was 29.1% (I wish!).
That's a good story! Kinda makes me want to get my own flattering scale!
Old 12-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #439
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Runner! Congratulations on your success so far!

Quote:

A couple of questions:
At first I used the strips to verify that I was in ketosis and then if I was eating the same macros and losing I didn't test. I have been using them consistently in maintenance where I'm playing around with different foods and macros to get feedback on what I'm doing.

So my answer is, use them to tighten up your macros (it's even better if you track while you're doing this) and then use the data to plan your future meals while not testing (or not testing as often).

The American Diabetes Warehouse has periodic sales. I try to post them when I get notification.

Quote:
What is your goal with the exercise? Have you worked out to this level in the past? I think two weight workouts/week is a good number, but you might get into overtraining territory when you add on the 3 boxing/kickboxing workouts. I would start with your goal then set the number and type of workouts per week to match your goal.

Personally my goal with exercise is to maintain or gain LBM and get stronger so I do two hard heavy workouts a week (maybe one more in the NY) and the rest of the time I walk or do stairs. I don't think of exercise as "fat burning," I know that comes from diet.

Quote:

Glad to have you on board! Thanks for de-lurking.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #440
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Kristn, you probably know this, when you are out of ketosis for a short time, and then get back in, do you go through the induction flu and all that all over again? I sure hope not, or maybe it would be good if I did. I sure didn't feel all that well in Sept. when I started and it might make me really really stop and think before I ate off plan again.
I'm not sure. It probably depends how long you've been out of ketosis and how flexible your metabolic pathways are. Some people seem to go between fat burner and sugar burner more easily than others.

Quote:
DD and I were talking yesterday about how one would handle maintainence and I told her that I was following you with high interest Kristn so that when I get there I will have some guidelines.
I think the key to maintenance is always not going back to what you were doing before you started a WOE, but to expand, test, and try things out within the plan that gave you success. You're going to do great and you're getting so close!

Quote:

Quote:
I feel the same way. I also think knowing that I'll test the next day also keeps my eating in check.

Quote:

Yeah on the ketones Lindsay! Hopefully your new plan will get you burning your own body fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
That's a good story! Kinda makes me want to get my own flattering scale!
I want my own flattering scale too! My BF% scale consistently reads higher than the dunk test said. I've given up on it altogether.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #441
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone for the welcomes.

Quote:
What is your goal with the exercise? Have you worked out to this level in the past? I think two weight workouts/week is a good number, but you might get into overtraining territory when you add on the 3 boxing/kickboxing workouts. I would start with your goal then set the number and type of workouts per week to match your goal.

Personally my goal with exercise is to maintain or gain LBM and get stronger so I do two hard heavy workouts a week (maybe one more in the NY) and the rest of the time I walk or do stairs. I don't think of exercise as "fat burning," I know that comes from diet.
My goals are to get stronger and not look flabby. I want to get body fat % down to a point where I can actually have abs showing. Ahh yes, vanity.

I have been doing the 2 P90X weight workouts for a few months now. Slowly getting stronger. In the not so distant past, I ran marathons (ten or so). I totally burned out on that and have not done any cardio for a while now. The boxing classes are something the wife and I can do together. We went to our second class tonight and had a blast.

Does it sound like these will conflict with my goals? The classes are such that I can make them as hard or easy as I would like.

I guess I will have to monitor my soreness/recovery/weight loss and see.

Thanks for the feedback and answering my questions.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:14 PM   #442
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
My goals are to get stronger and not look flabby. I want to get body fat % down to a point where I can actually have abs showing. Ahh yes, vanity.

I have been doing the 2 P90X weight workouts for a few months now. Slowly getting stronger. In the not so distant past, I ran marathons (ten or so). I totally burned out on that and have not done any cardio for a while now. The boxing classes are something the wife and I can do together. We went to our second class tonight and had a blast.

Does it sound like these will conflict with my goals? The classes are such that I can make them as hard or easy as I would like.

I guess I will have to monitor my soreness/recovery/weight loss and see.
It sounds like the weight work is probably where you want to concentrate most of your energy for your goals. If it were me I would do the classes (working out with a spouse is a great thing!) but be prepared to adapt them depending on how you're feeling and how they're effecting your other workouts.

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback and answering my questions.
You're welcome. I hope that it's helpful. A lot of this is just trial and error and being willing to push forward or pull back based on the factors that you listed. It sounds like you're off to a great start.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #443
Senior LCF Member

Hope you guys don't mind, I'm going to plagiarize myself and copy and paste this update from my blog:

Weight: 179.6
AM Ketones: 1.0
PM Ketones: 2.3
AM Blood Glucose: 76
PM Blood Glucose: 80
Hours of Sleep: 6:07
Energy Level: Fair
Physical Activity: BJJ

% From Fat: 77% (167 gm)
% From Protein: 20% (97gm)
% From Carbs: 7% (33gm)

My food log looks just like it did from yesterday! That's because I ate the exact same things as part of my experiment to see the effect exercise has on my ketone levels.

Well after BJJ at least in the PM, my ketones shot up. I am a little dubious as to this result since I only measured it around 2.5-3 hours after dinner. Since I'm not exactly sure how my ketones respond to my meals at 1, 2, 3, etc. hours after, I can't say for certain that my change in ketones isn't the result of the meal rather than fat being burned in my body.

I think after these first 30 days of nutritional ketosis, I don't think I'll be measuring my PM ketones anymore. The AM ketones are the most useful since they are acquired when my body is in a fasted state without the influence of meals, and so most accurately reflect the actual fat burning state of my body.

Also after these 30 days I don't think I'll be measuring my blood glucose anymore either... they've been stable the entire time. I'm satisfied with the results thus far and have proven to myself the effectiveness of the diet in stabilizing my blood sugars.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:04 AM   #444
Major LCF Poster!

bjjcaveman--Thanks for posting the update, it looks like you're right on target. Are you down a pound? If so congratulations!

We haven't heard from Sophie about her thyroid appointment. Hopefully she'll check in soon!

My ketones were .7 this morning. They've been .7 for four mornings in a row, possibly my most consistent stretch of readings since I've been testing.

How is everyone else this morning?
Old 12-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #445
Senior LCF Member

This morning's ketones: 0.9

Weight: 144.4 (precisely the same as yesterday)

BF%: 29.0 (oh scale, how you lie, but I do appreciate the .1% loss from yesterday!)

I do feel a little sore from yesterday's workout, which was Body Beast Total Body. Back on Wednesday of this week, I finished my Body Beast rotation (as I defined it), but after a rest day on Thursday, I felt pumped up to do something the next day. The Total Body workout had not been in my schedule at all so far, so I was dying to try it. Wow - what a fun, well-rounded workout it was! It's now one of my "desert island" workouts...meaning, if I were stranded on a desert island and could only have, say, five or so workout videos with me, this would be one of them. (Ignoring the fact that there probably wouldn't be a DVD player, weights, or a pull up bar on the desert island, and I'd probably be too busy foraging for food or building a raft to work out.)
Old 12-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #446
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Still not willing to test ketones again (yet).
I've lost 1 pound since Christmas. On the right track!

Lindsay and all you workout people - I am now wishing we were all gym rats - I would love going to the gym and working out with all of you.

As it is, I am going to live through your descriptions of intense workouts!
Old 12-29-2012, 08:50 AM   #447
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning.
Didn't test this morning but did drop almost another lb. Judy, congrats on losing!!!

Lindsay, you just amaze me, I seriously don't think I have known someone who loves to work out like you do. I am so impressed.

Kristn, sounds like you are totally in the zone. Yes, we need an update from Sophie.

Caveman, your day looks perfect to me.

Bigrunner, I think that is great that you and your wife have found an exercise to do together. Makes it so much more fun, unless of course you turn on each other

Unstrung, your new scale sounds pretty neat. Although the BF readings on those types of scales, I have a Tanita, might not be accurate, they do let you know if it is going up or down. Like our weight, we want the "down" part.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #448
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Lindsay and all you workout people - I am now wishing we were all gym rats - I would love going to the gym and working out with all of you.

As it is, I am going to live through your descriptions of intense workouts!
Quote:
Lindsay, you just amaze me, I seriously don't think I have known someone who loves to work out like you do. I am so impressed.

Unstrung, your new scale sounds pretty neat. Although the BF readings on those types of scales, I have a Tanita, might not be accurate, they do let you know if it is going up or down. Like our weight, we want the "down" part.
Hey, some people are addicted to chocolate, caffeine...my addiction just happens to be exercise (...and chocolate, and caffeine!!). Nah, I've broken the chocolate addiction by now, surely.

I don't know, something about exercise is very empowering. Plus, it definitely helps me with stress/anxiety/depression. At some point several years ago, something must have switched in my brain, because I started looking at exercise as a fun hobby. And it just became part of my identity rather than "this thing I sometimes do."

Buffy, about the BF scale...I am officially considering my 0.1% body fat loss since yesterday morning to be wholly accurate, even though the starting number may have been way off!!
Mine is some model of Taylor. Its weighing surface is all glass. It's whichever one they have at Academy Sports that does BF%! I don't know when I would have ever bought one if I hadn't received the gift card from my MIL for Christmas!
Old 12-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #449
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
M

Bigrunner, I think that is great that you and your wife have found an exercise to do together. Makes it so much more fun, unless of course you turn on each other
Old 12-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #450
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
This morning's ketones: 0.9

Weight: 144.4 (precisely the same as yesterday)

BF%: 29.0 (oh scale, how you lie, but I do appreciate the .1% loss from yesterday!)
for the .1% loss.

Quote:
I do feel a little sore from yesterday's workout, which was Body Beast Total Body. Back on Wednesday of this week, I finished my Body Beast rotation (as I defined it), but after a rest day on Thursday, I felt pumped up to do something the next day. The Total Body workout had not been in my schedule at all so far, so I was dying to try it. Wow - what a fun, well-rounded workout it was! It's now one of my "desert island" workouts...meaning, if I were stranded on a desert island and could only have, say, five or so workout videos with me, this would be one of them. (Ignoring the fact that there probably wouldn't be a DVD player, weights, or a pull up bar on the desert island, and I'd probably be too busy foraging for food or building a raft to work out.)
It sounds like fun! I love the feeling after a good total body workout.

And congrats on finishing the Body Beast rotation. Have you gotten your next videos yet?

Quote:
Still not willing to test ketones again (yet).
I've lost 1 pound since Christmas. On the right track!
Hooray for your loss!

Quote:
Morning.
Didn't test this morning but did drop almost another lb. Judy, congrats on losing!!!
Woo hoo Buffy!

Lots of good news today. I guess all of the Christmas indulgence is starting to wear off. It's good to hear that everyone is getting back on track after the holidays.
Closed Thread