Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 07:38 AM   #391
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Sophie--I hope that your appointment goes well! I know that it's a PITA to track, but if you're trying to lose it's essential!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #392
Major LCF Poster!

Hi All,
Does anyone here read Regina Wilshire's Weight of the Evidence blog? She was really active when I was first low-carbing and she's had some interesting posts lately about JM and NK.

I thought her post entitled, Does "Nutritional Ketosis" Require 85% Fat? was spot on and it lead to a link to a post entitled Protein is Essential But Too Much is too Much which is also eye-opening.

Speaking of which, I will no longer be referencing JM or linking to any of his material. His latest blog posts with LC links has a link to David Duke's blog and apparently he was a guest on DD's radio show. It is beyond my comprehension that anyone could promote such evil and I cannot keep silent on this nor can I reference or promote his website any more.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 12-27-2012, 07:59 AM   #393
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Morning all.
My ketone reading this morning was LO. Bahhhh. I am still paying for the over indulgence in carbs on Christmas day and let me say, I won't be doing that again for a long time. It seemed worth it right then, but now I keep thinking I could have made some LC treat and stuck to my plan. My weight is also up 2 lbs.

But, I did get right back on plan so hope by tomorrow I might register back in ketosis. The good thing is that even though it knocked me out, my appetite has not come back so it is easy getting right back on the horse.

In regards to appetite. I was one who never could believe that anything would dull my appetite and even ketosis didn't for a while, but then gradually it did to the point now that I sometimes have to have a protein shake to get my protein and calories up. I make my shakes with almond milk, HWC to boost the calories over the water method.

I too have been too busy/lazy to track. Hopefully soon I can get back to that. Since I was losing I didn't worry too much but it is always better to track.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:04 AM   #394
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Buffy I'm up 2 pounds, also, did not want to waste a strip.

Started tracking yesterday and was surprised how few calories I ate - all out of choice and lack of appetite.

I will not let that go on too long because I'm more interested in health than in starving myself temporarily. There's a certain amount of comfort in going back to the foods that were good for me before this Christmastime and I know we like them.
Time for me to pay attention to what we are eating, how much we are eating, and to plan to eat properly!

Kristn that is shocking news. Thank you for letting us know.
Glad to know about the other blog, though!
Old 12-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #395
Major LCF Poster!

Buffy and Judy--it sounds like you guys are back on track! I expect I'll be singing the same tune next week after my birthday meal. My plan is to test every day after the meal to see how long it takes me to get back into ketosis and back to a weight number I want to see. I'm looking at it as more data for future indulgences.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:12 AM   #396
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Buffy and Judy--it sounds like you guys are back on track! I expect I'll be singing the same tune next week after my birthday meal. My plan is to test every day after the meal to see how long it takes me to get back into ketosis and back to a weight number I want to see. I'm looking at it as more data for future indulgences.
HA HA! Love that.
And of course I'll track your numbers very closely and even though we are different ages, different body types and have different activity levels, I will try to match your food choices and expect the same outcome!

Signed,
Old 12-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #397
Big Yapper!!!!

Yes Kristn, I will be anxious to hear how your "birthday experiment" goes as well and the time it takes to recover. I had planned on doing my cheating all within 1 hour, like CAD, and that might have worked but spreading the carbs out over about 8 hours certainly didn't work for me. Bam!

I do want to get back to tracking for a while b/c I kind of worry about either over eating on protein or undereating on calories. Maybe after this weekend when my last company will have been here and gone.

Kristn, I don't read many other blogs so now of course I have to run look at the ones you referenced.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #398
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Quote:
Hi All,
Does anyone here read Regina Wilshire's Weight of the Evidence blog? She was really active when I was first low-carbing and she's had some interesting posts lately about JM and NK.

I thought her post entitled, Does "Nutritional Ketosis" Require 85% Fat? was spot on and it lead to a link to a post entitled Protein is Essential But Too Much is too Much which is also eye-opening.

Speaking of which, I will no longer be referencing JM or linking to any of his material. His latest blog posts with LC links has a link to David Duke's blog and apparently he was a guest on DD's radio show. It is beyond my comprehension that anyone could promote such evil and I cannot keep silent on this nor can I reference or promote his website any more.
Wow- thanks for sharing this- I'm speechless and shocked.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #399
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Kristn, thanks for the link for the blog you mentioned...I'll have to check it out. Buffy and Judy....you two did great...."only" gaining 2#....I gained nearly 5, but after one day of being back on track (yesterday), 1.5 of it is already gone...good ol' water weight from the liver and the bloat of all I ate that was NOT on plan.

Re: amount of fat....I have cut back my fat intake from 80-82% to 65-70% and it feels much better on me. I haven't tested ketones yet...will wait a few more days for the grains and sugars to depart my body. OH...and I have once again lowered my calories by about 400-500/day. Feels better there too!

Sophie...can't wait to hear what the DO has to say...and I'm so hopeful that he/she is a good one and will be helpful with your test results!!!! Yipppeee!!!!!
Old 12-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #400
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bjjcaveman
Stats: 180.0/180.4/165.0
WOE: nutritional ketosis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
Good morning all! Ketones are at 0.6 today (and yesterday). I've been lazy on the logging and tracking of my food. I start out tracking and all, then give it up by mid day- not good for me. I do much better when I track.
You know I had the same problem, but I found an iphone app that kind of made things easier.. I just took a picture of everything I put in my mouth! and at the end of the day it made it easier to log.

the app is called "thryve"

When I write my blog, I like to lead off with a picture of the thryve screen shot to remind me of everything I've eaten!

this has worked for me so far... at least for two days.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #401
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
After I figure out how to stabilize my ketones (at least consistently above 1), I'd like to do an experiment like once or twice a week, where I wake up, test my fasting ketones, and then eat something, and do serial ketone and blood sugar measurements.. i think for up to 4 hours at least, to see what effect it has on my ketones and how long it takes for them to come back.

Sort of like what this guy did

It'd be interesting to see the effect of various foods.

My only concern would be how things would look if i ate something like a red velvet cake.. and if that would kick me out of ketosis for a day or more!

I guess my idea needs a little more fleshing out... may need to be a multiday trial!

Also my AM ketones were 0.6. slowly chugging along

Last edited by bjjcaveman; 12-27-2012 at 10:45 AM..
Old 12-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #402
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjcaveman View Post
After I figure out how to stabilize my ketones (at least consistently above 1), I'd like to do an experiment like once or twice a week, where I wake up, test my fasting ketones, and then eat something, and do serial ketone and blood sugar measurements.. i think for up to 4 hours at least, to see what effect it has on my ketones and how long it takes for them to come back.

Sort of like what this guy did

It'd be interesting to see the effect of various foods.

My only concern would be how things would look if i ate something like a red velvet cake.. and if that would kick me out of ketosis for a day or more!

I guess my idea needs a little more fleshing out... may need to be a multiday trial!

Also my AM ketones were 0.6. slowly chugging along
Well, I'll be right here cheering you on!

But (correct me if I'm wrong) the effect of those foods on your young, fit, male body will be different than the effect on my older, not so fit, female body, right? Or no?
Old 12-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #403
Big Yapper!!!!

Me thinks you are right Judy, it all effects each of us differently, we could all eat exactly the same and get different results.

Caveman, I usually am in the range of 0.5 and 1.5 and am happy with my losses. Often it is between 0.5 and 1. So, although I would like to see the higher number, not sure it is always necessary for weight loss.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #404
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Me thinks you are right Judy, it all effects each of us differently, we could all eat exactly the same and get different results.

Caveman, I usually am in the range of 0.5 and 1.5 and am happy with my losses. Often it is between 0.5 and 1. So, although I would like to see the higher number, not sure it is always necessary for weight loss.
Also being in the measurably higher level of ketosis does not guarantee weight loss, either.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #405
Big Yapper!!!!

ketosis = tricky little devil
Old 12-27-2012, 11:20 AM   #406
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Also being in the measurably higher level of ketosis does not guarantee weight loss, either.
I guess this is probably true. I'll have to see if this is the same for me. Maybe I'm being too focused on the numbers and I should just be happy that my body is burning fat at all!

But when you see other folks in the 3-4 range, doesn't it just make it seem like they have a little more wiggle room when they fall off the wagon?

Like the pepsimax guy, his were in the 3-4 range... so when he took pepsimax and it dropped him 2 points, he was still in ketosis. Now if he started in the 1-2 range, and he dropped 2 points, then he'd be back at square one!

Quote:

I guess that's why it's so beneficial to do our own testing... everyone's body is a unique laboratory! That's the power of n=1 I guess. Although I'm glad for forums like this where I can learn from other people's experiences... such as the awesome counting calories and food tracking suggestion you guys had

Quote:
ketosis = tricky little devil
Amen to this!
Old 12-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #407
Big Yapper!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have the satisfaction of seeing the higher numbers in my BK readings, and hadn't thought of your point of wiggle room. But, alas, even eating just pretty much meats, fats and eggs, my seldom go above 1.5, that is testing first thing in the AM when they do tend to be lower than maybe later in the day. If I am in the zone when I test first thing, I don't waste a strip later b/c I know I am in. It is just neat seeing those numbers higher and Kristn and I have agreed, even though we know we don't always have to test, when you know you are eating right, you know you are in ketosis, but we love messing with our meters and testing, it is just, well, uh, fun!

I don't have a clue as to how my being diabetic and on meds for that effects the whole thing as far as numbers, etc. I can only go by my blood glucose readings which are consistently below 100 now that I am doing NK but I haven't reduced my diabetes meds yet. Hope to in the future. I also take 3 blood pressure meds that I am really wanting to reduce. So far, the only reduction in those is to get off the diurectic side of one of them. So far when I go to the Dr., which hasn't been much since I started, my BP is just where they want it but not dipping to where I would expect them to reduce meds. I may make an appointment soon to talk to my regular doctor about experimenting a little in lowering them.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #408
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I would love to have the satisfaction of seeing the higher numbers in my BK readings, and hadn't thought of your point of wiggle room. But, alas, even eating just pretty much meats, fats and eggs, my seldom go above 1.5, that is testing first thing in the AM when they do tend to be lower than maybe later in the day. If I am in the zone when I test first thing, I don't waste a strip later b/c I know I am in. It is just neat seeing those numbers higher and Kristn and I have agreed, even though we know we don't always have to test, when you know you are eating right, you know you are in ketosis, but we love messing with our meters and testing, it is just, well, uh, fun!

I don't have a clue as to how my being diabetic and on meds for that effects the whole thing as far as numbers, etc. I can only go by my blood glucose readings which are consistently below 100 now that I am doing NK but I haven't reduced my diabetes meds yet. Hope to in the future. I also take 3 blood pressure meds that I am really wanting to reduce. So far, the only reduction in those is to get off the diurectic side of one of them. So far when I go to the Dr., which hasn't been much since I started, my BP is just where they want it but not dipping to where I would expect them to reduce meds. I may make an appointment soon to talk to my regular doctor about experimenting a little in lowering them.
Buffy,

I just noticed your weight loss starting from september in your bottom tag. That is amazing! congratulations!

I'm sure if you keep this up, you'll be able to wean off the meds eventually!

Looking at your numbers is pretty inspiring.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #409
Major LCF Poster!

I think that the question becomes why you are trying to get higher ketone numbers. If you're losing (or maintaining) and in NK then do they give you an advantage? bjjcaveman raises an interesting point, does one have more leeway to go off plan if their numbers are higher? Maybe, but if you have to reduce protein and carbs to a very low level to get there you may be sacrificing your everyday "diet" for an occasional indulgence. While that might be an acceptible trade-off for some, I'd rather eat more/better every day. Doing this also reduces my desire for indulgences (I consider what I eat an indulgence most of the time) so having the higher numbers aren't necessarily an advantage.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #410
Major LCF Poster!

FYI--I posted (still unpublished) on the JM blog with the DD link this morning. I just received an email from him that he had removed the link and I checked and it was gone. I am still upset by the fact that it was ever there, but I thought I'd give an update since I mentioned it before.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #411
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
You know I had the same problem, but I found an iphone app that kind of made things easier.. I just took a picture of everything I put in my mouth! and at the end of the day it made it easier to log.

the app is called "thryve"

When I write my blog, I like to lead off with a picture of the thryve screen shot to remind me of everything I've eaten!

this has worked for me so far... at least for two days.
Thanks for sharing- sounds interesting
Old 12-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #412
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Buffy,

I just noticed your weight loss starting from september in your bottom tag. That is amazing! congratulations!

I'm sure if you keep this up, you'll be able to wean off the meds eventually!

Looking at your numbers is pretty inspiring.
Thanks Caveman. I am pretty happy about it, haven't been this low in weight for years. It was slow going and I have to admit to questioning if it was actually working on the weight loss part during Oct. and Nov., but, I was seeing such an improvement in my BG numbers that I knew this was how I should eat and then bam, December I really got rewarded with weight loss. Very inspiring to keep at it. In fact, kicking myself for indulging in pie on Christms day which kicked me out of the ketosis I have been in for weeks.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #413
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Thanks for sharing- sounds interesting
Hi Sophie, how are you?

I am waiting for the app where we just take a picture of what we eat and it logs all the nutritional info for us Am I lazy of what??
Old 12-27-2012, 12:55 PM   #414
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
FYI--I posted (still unpublished) on the JM blog with the DD link this morning. I just received an email from him that he had removed the link and I checked and it was gone. I am still upset by the fact that it was ever there, but I thought I'd give an update since I mentioned it before.
Good for you Kristn, I applaud you!
Old 12-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #415
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Thank you for this information Kristn. I had to google the DD person and was stunned to find out who you were referring to. It really is a huge disappointment to discover this but I am thankful I did. Just WOW....shaking my head.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:14 PM   #416
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi Sophie, how are you?

I am waiting for the app where we just take a picture of what we eat and it logs all the nutritional info for us Am I lazy of what??
Hey Buffy- doing pretty well...although not as good as you on the weight loss front- congrats on that You must be feelin' goo ooo ooood!
Old 12-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #417
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hi Sophie, how are you?

I would love this too! I have stopped tracking for now, but I would keep it up with an app like that!

Quote:
Hey Buffy- doing pretty well...although not as good as you on the weight loss front- congrats on that You must be feelin' goo ooo ooood!
You're working so hard to get things right, the weight-loss will come.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #418
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Thank you for this information Kristn. I had to google the DD person and was stunned to find out who you were referring to. It really is a huge disappointment to discover this but I am thankful I did. Just WOW....shaking my head.
Glad I wasn't the only one , I hated to admit I didn't know who that was either.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #419
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
I had no idea who the DD person was either...but google cleared that one up! Can't imagine why it would have shown up on the JM blog, but am certainly glad it is gone.

I also read the other blog, and don't really understand much of that. Maybe someone can interpret for me!
Old 12-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #420
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I'm just glad you let US know.
Closed Thread