Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 06:27 AM   #361
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolash View Post
Had Raclette for xmas dinner last night at my sisters, even tho don't celebrate xmas. Also had a big piece of cake!

This morning my blood ketones were .2 - i have a question.

I haven't read the performance book yet, i'm still only on the living book - what do blood ketones under .5 but still getting a reading not "LOW" on the meter actually mean? I know i'm in ketosis and have been since june, but clearly im not in "NUtritional ketosis" - so what do readings under .5 but about 0 actually mean?
This is from the Performance book:

"The Ketone Zone
In order to experience the full spectrum of metabolic benefits assocated with keto-adaptation, it is necessary to restrict your carbohydrate and consume moderate protein to allow blood ketones to come up into the desirable range. In a healthy person normally consuming carbohydrate rich foods (greater than 100 grams/day), blood ketone levels (usually consisting of a 4-to-1 ratio of BOHB to AcAc) rarely exceed 0.2 millimolar. As carbohydrates are decreased to below 50 grams per day and protein is not consumed in excess, most people will produce ketone levels greater than 0.5 millimolar."

They go on to define what factors they are looking at to determine the best level of blood ketones: "One would be that level required to replace much of the brain's glucose use with ketones. A second criterion would be the blood ketone concentration that redues the body's oxidation of the essential amino acid leucine."

Finally they say: "Taking these factors in combination, a therapeutic range of blood ketone levels for and athlete starts at 0.5 millimolar BOHB at the lower end and improves up to 3.0 millimolar."

Hopefully this helps.

If you're not getting blood ketones above 0.5 you are probably eating too many carbs or too much protein to be in ketosis. You can be eating low carb and not be in ketosis. If you're keeping your carb level below 20 grams/day and not eating frankenfoods or sugar alcohols then it's probably due to overeating protein which is converted to glucose via gluconeogenesis.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2012, 06:32 AM   #362
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone!

I'm happy to report that my ketones this morning were .7.

I think there may be something to this IF thing, although I can't really make it work in my regular life. When we were away from home we only ate 2 meals/day and my weight is down right now.

How is everyone else doing?
Old 12-26-2012, 07:35 AM   #363
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Good morning and happy 'day after'!! I call it pajama day and it is pretty close to my fav of the whole season.

I ended up eating a little less than normal yesterday due to some poor planning on my part but didn't really struggle and think in the end, allowed me to have my red wine without much consequence. I am within .5lb of my recent low and just 2lbs. away from my stall weight. I am very happy about that.

I am seriously going to try and invest in a ketone meter in the new year. Would be really great to know what my ketones are from day to day and not rely exclusively on the scale as it is so very fickle!!

Quote:
This is from the Performance book:

"The Ketone Zone
In order to experience the full spectrum of metabolic benefits assocated with keto-adaptation, it is necessary to restrict your carbohydrate and consume moderate protein to allow blood ketones to come up into the desirable range. In a healthy person normally consuming carbohydrate rich foods (greater than 100 grams/day), blood ketone levels (usually consisting of a 4-to-1 ratio of BOHB to AcAc) rarely exceed 0.2 millimolar. As carbohydrates are decreased to below 50 grams per day and protein is not consumed in excess, most people will produce ketone levels greater than 0.5 millimolar."

They go on to define what factors they are looking at to determine the best level of blood ketones: "One would be that level required to replace much of the brain's glucose use with ketones. A second criterion would be the blood ketone concentration that redues the body's oxidation of the essential amino acid leucine."

Finally they say: "Taking these factors in combination, a therapeutic range of blood ketone levels for and athlete starts at 0.5 millimolar BOHB at the lower end and improves up to 3.0 millimolar."

Hopefully this helps.

If you're not getting blood ketones above 0.5 you are probably eating too many carbs or too much protein to be in ketosis. You can be eating low carb and not be in ketosis. If you're keeping your carb level below 20 grams/day and not eating frankenfoods or sugar alcohols then it's probably due to overeating protein which is converted to glucose via gluconeogenesis.
Kristn, Thank you for this synopsis. Very nicely done!! It is really a pretty simple formula in many ways. The difficulty seems to lie in finding out the individual differences and a big one - food choices.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Last edited by clackley; 12-26-2012 at 07:41 AM..
Old 12-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #364
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolash View Post
My FBG from memory was typically around 4.5 - 6 mmol/l - that's 81 - 108 - i have it stored in my meter from when i was doing it. I am not sure what quantifies as "high" for a LC WOE - i've never seen any guidelines of what it "should" be - any resources?

However, according to Phinney, if one stays in their recommended protein range based on height.... it's eating less dietary fat that encourages the body fat to be utilized for fuel. For someone as overweight as i am, this makes sense;use the stored fat by restricting the dietary fat somewhat...then as one loses the fat from their body..they increase the dietary fat... He even mentions eating more fat at first just to kick start it... Is that what you mean? How long did it take you?
Correct! I had to kick start it.

I cant say for sure how long it took because I don't always have control of my eating situations for days at a time. I have been playing with NK for a long time. When I first started, I had fbg 100-120 and had to cut protein to 80-90g. I could get fbk in the 0.1- 0.3 range. As I added fat, the fbg would go down, but I was HUNGRY. I added a bit of fat (coconut candy) when my body said it was starving between meals. I tested bg at these times and I was still around 90. That told me I was not low on glucose, so I gave my body a bit of fat to use instead. After several days, the starving feelings lightened up and I found my fbg lower in the morning and my bk going up.

I think fbg should be 80-90. In a completely normal person.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:02 AM   #365
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Good morning and happy 'day after'!! I call it pajama day and it is pretty close to my fav of the whole season.

I ended up eating a little less than normal yesterday due to some poor planning on my part but didn't really struggle and think in the end, allowed me to have my red wine without much consequence. I am within .5lb of my recent low and just 2lbs. away from my stall weight. I am very happy about that.
You're so close, that's fantastic news!

Quote:
Kristn, Thank you for this synopsis. Very nicely done!! It is really a pretty simple formula in many ways. The difficulty seems to lie in finding out the individual differences and a big one - food choices.

You're welcome. It's true that it's a simple formula--but as you surmised, simple is still not easy. It relies upon some experimentation and personalization that can be frustrating, but so rewarding when you get it right!

Happy pajama day!
Old 12-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #366
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Yesterday I did a monster StrongLifts workout. Actually just the normal one, but did not cut anything short or try to rush it. SL workouts are supposed to take less than 1 hour to complete. I typically take well over 2 hours and yesterday my workout was longer than 3 hours.

Oh, the workout was 5 sets of 5 reps of barbell squats, bench press and barbell rows at 185, 185, 120 pounds, respectively. But each exercise has a series of warm-up sets that get you up to the workout weights gradually.

Before the workout my BK was 1.1 mM -- a little low for me. I normally workout in the afternoon/evening. But I thought I would try morning, see if my normal caffeine intake would give me more energy. I had a cup of coffee with quite a bit of HWC and a teaspoon of CO as well as a cup of Herbox broth for salt. I also drank a little HWC straight. Probably a total of 1/2 of a pint of HWC.

Squats are a grueling workout for most people. I don't know, but I suspect that I am so slow doing the workout because NK has decreased my muscle glycogen reserves enough that my muscles are having to use free fatty acids and even ketone bodies to fuel the workout. So I still have the advantageous "Respiratory Quotient" from burning fat, instead of sugar, but I don't have access to that explosive 'max effort' energy that sugar (glycogen) can give you.

On the other hand I have not noticed my strength increases being limited however by NK. I seem to be progressing okay there. There is tremendous variability, of course, and at age 50 my expectations as far as speed at which I get stronger are moderated. To tell you the truth, I feel a little shocked every time I complete a workout without injuring my "bad back". About 10 years ago I had to give up my rowing machine workouts because I was spending too much time with my back "thrown out", where I could not stand upright.

Anyway, I completed the workout yesterday, at a pretty large meal (3 scrambled eggs and 6 sausage links) and relaxed the rest of the day. By the end of the day I was feeling a mild sinus headache coming on and was getting a little of that high blood ketone feeling. Checked them and 5.4 mM. Checked again, 4.6 mM. So I had stuff with a little carbs in it -- olives and salad. This morning I was down to 2.2 mM. Skipped the CO in my coffee, though.

--
Phillip
Old 12-26-2012, 08:58 AM   #367
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Good Morning after all of you.
I didn't do as well as I had planned yesterday, gave in to having another piece of pie after I got home and was relaxing last night and that put me in the "Lo" reading for ketosis. Didn't waste a strip this morning as I am sure I am not in due to that pie and will have to do very low carb today and hope to get right back into ketosis. Funny that although the carby foods I ate did taste good in my mouth, my tummy wasn't too happy with it. Just didn't feel real good the rest of the day. So, the good thing is that I am ready to get right back down to business. Will be eggs soon and then I have a roasted chicken that I will fix for dinner. Still drinking CO and coffee right now.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #368
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
I also succumbed to wheat and sugar yesterday.

I had two small glasses of wine yesterday evening, potato soup, candies brought over by well-meaning neighbors, etc.

I do not feel well at all today and I'm actually a little glad about that. I'm not going to waste anymore strips for several days. I really prefer the way I feel when my bks are above .5. It's nice to have a compelling feeling to eat the right things that make me feel well.

Happy pajama day!
Old 12-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #369
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Phillip - awesome!!
Old 12-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #370
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Well, I'm with some of you in not holding onto my 'plan'......strange as the last 3 years I have never deviated from my good eating plans at all. This year I was horrible. I was so frustrated after 4 months of towing the line and seeing gains in weight and inches. The day before Christmas I was at the highest weight of my entire lifetime, so I just "gave up" and ate crap....it tasted so good and made me VERY aware of how addictive it is. Made a lemon bundt cake and ate more than 1/2 of it on my own AFTER a meal! I just had to have the "taste". I was afraid to get on the scale this morning, but did and also tested fasting B/G levels (didn't bother with ketones as they would no doubt not even register!). The scale gave me another "highest number of my life" which was higher than the previous number. But the interesting thing was my fasting blood glucose. 102. That's lower than many days of eating "perfectly". So, I now figure that drjlocarb's theories match mine. That it's not the carbs causing my high readings, but too much protein. I only had a bit of bacon, eggs and turkey yesterday, but tons of sweets/sugars/flours (yes, even wheat!!!!)

I feel "ill" in my belly and am very happy about that as it just makes me not want to do this nonsense again. I'm back on track today and drinking tons of water (no coffee, no tea, nothing that would require a "sweetener" of any type!) to flush my system. I am hoping for a better feeling tomorrow and a whoosh on the scale to a lower "HIGH" than I see this morning.

I'm still frustrated, but have a renewed faith that this WILL work if I just find the correct grams for everything. So far I haven't found what works for me to lose pounds and get into ketosis other than a fat fast, but that is NOT sustainable for more than 3 days.

Congratulations to those of you who stayed "clean"....this is my first year blowing it. It was sort of fun, but doesn't "feel" good today! ha ha
Old 12-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #371
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Wow Phillip I admire you for those awesome workouts! It is great you can do them now without having back issues.

Buffy sounds like you are back on the bandwagon. Hope you are feeling better since your antibiotics.

JMCM1 and Shelley - I am with you on not staying on plan. I had control of the carbs but seriously overate protein and also ate much more fat than I usually do. Weight was up and so was my blood glucose. Working now on getting back to 45-50g of protein and keeping the calories around 1350. I really believe that is where I need to be.

I ordered a NovaMax yesterday. Will be ordering another with free strips off the internet and a couple of boxes of strips. Don't know how long I can afford to test, but it would help to see if I am actually in NK.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #372
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Congratulations to those of you who stayed "clean"....this is my first year blowing it. It was sort of fun, but doesn't "feel" good today! ha ha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobear View Post
JMCM1 and Shelley - I am with you on not staying on plan. I had control of the carbs but seriously overate protein and also ate much more fat than I usually do. Weight was up and so was my blood glucose. Working now on getting back to 45-50g of protein and keeping the calories around 1350. I really believe that is where I need to be.

I ordered a NovaMax yesterday. Will be ordering another with free strips off the internet and a couple of boxes of strips. Don't know how long I can afford to test, but it would help to see if I am actually in NK.
Well, one day surely won't be the end of it all. I had not planned to eat carbs, but like Mobear I had intended to only overdo on protein. I went all carby. They definitely are addictive at least for me.

I got myself down 22 pounds and 7 or 8 (I forgot what my goal is now! ) pounds from my goal weight. I bet we'll all pull our socks up and put one foot after the other and all that. I've never been able to feel as well as I did on NK while still losing weight.

I still have some thyroid to optimize, etc. but I look forward to feeling well again here in a day or two.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #373
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bjjcaveman
Stats: 180.0/180.4/165.0
WOE: nutritional ketosis
First time poster,

I just started the LCHF nutritional ketosis as described by Volek and Phinney. I've been in nutritional ketosis for at least 2 weeks, (i'm testing using the Precision xtra strips), but I'm frequently on the lower end of the scale... and recently I've been bumped out of the ideal range and I'm trying to figure out why.

My weight is pretty stable, around 180 +/- 1 or 2 lbs which I think is within normal variation.

I also try to stay pretty active.

Here is a copy of all the data I've recorded so far.

Not sure if that link works... it's to my public flickr account.

I wanted to see what you guys thought.

One of the things I've just decided to do is to record a food log, so I can document what I'm eating exactly.

I appreciate any input. Ideally I'd like to get my ketone levels in a higher range and to lose an additional 10-15 lbs.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #374
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm the least knowledgeable, so I'll jump right in!

I think tracking your food is tedious and also very revealing. At a glance, I'm wondering how many grams of protein you are eating - because at a glance it might be a little high.

Guessing has not been kind to me. Kristn has trained her eye and guesses pretty well, I think. You might need to see how much things weigh and how much protein it all contains, together with knowing exactly how many carbs you're eating.

Most of us have found we need to eat nearer the lower end of our protein requirement and lower carb to get into NK.

Last edited by JMCM1; 12-26-2012 at 12:25 PM..
Old 12-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #375
Senior LCF Member

Ya, I was hoping it wouldn't come down to being that meticulous! But you're probably right. I guess I should be analyzing the macronutrients.. at least for a few days.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #376
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Also, I think people who have been successful in NK have determined their lean body mass, or their desired lean body mass and their desired end-weight, eating the correct amount of protein and few carbs to achieve the desired weight and desired lean body mass.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #377
Big Yapper!!!!

Caveman.

I did look at your menu for just one day and a couple of things I would question is the amount of carbs in the vegetable soup and the fact that you mentioned you were at around 50 grams of carbs. A lot of the literature I have read states that you can eat about that amount on NK and I am sure a lot of people can, but, a lot of people have found that they have to be lower than that. I know several of us on this board shoot for 20 or less per day, that is what I have done although there are days when it is higher than that but probably never over 30 and those are days when I have eaten something more carby but it has lots of fiber. My thought was to start low and if I was losing quckly and easily, then raise the carbs. Some think, well, I will start high and if I lose on that, that is great, if not, then I can lower them. I also feel like when you start out, unless you are one of the lucky ducks who lose very easily, it is important to log your food and find out what level of protein you need to be at, what level of carbs, then the rest will be good fats.

There is another thread on the boards that I will post the like to, you will also get a lot of info from those of us doing NK on that one.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #378
Big Yapper!!!!

Caveman, here is a link to another NK thread.

High Fat NK 80/15/5 - December Version
Old 12-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #379
Senior LCF Member

Buffy,

thanks for the input!

The strange thing in my case is that my diet hasn't varied in terms of macronutrients that much... at least by gestault (again I haven't done exact measurements.. I've just tried to be mindful about getting more fat in and less carbs).. and there are some days where i've meaured in the 1-2 range (3 days ago) and others where I drop below 0.5 (the past two days)..

and while my diet is varied, I dont' think the macronutrient makeup is THAT different... but who knows.. we'll see when I start recording more as you guys have suggested.

I really appreciate the responses.. and I'm glad that you guys are able to see the table I put up. I wasn't sure that would work.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:17 PM   #380
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

A quick look shows a problem with red cake may have caused one dip.

You ketones look good overall. What is you calorie intake?

You are trying to lose 10 lbs. Are you already at a low BF?
Old 12-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #381
Major LCF Poster!

bjjcaveman!

Just popping my head in (I'm slammed at work today and probably all week).

I agree with drjlowcarb that you're probably okay with carbs and protein if you're mostly registering over .5. If you want to see higher numbers you can play with protein and carbs--but you'll need to track more closely to really get any good data. And if you want to lose weight you'll have to get into a negative energy balance--ketosis itself doesn't make you lose weight. The Performance book recommends cutting fat to lose once you're in ketosis--you'll want to hold the protein and carbs steady which will be easier to do if you know exactly what you're taking in.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #382
Senior LCF Member

I was debating whether to put a picture of the red velvet cake on my blog... ended up deciding not to because it was just cause me to be tempted every day!

How could I refuse a home made red velvet cake on a holiday??? My will power isn't there yet... maybe now it will be since I saw what effect it had on all my hard earned ketones!

My body fat is around 20% based on bio-impedance from my scale as well as comparisons with those online pictures available for body fat percentages.

I'm still looking for a place to get a DEXA done.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #383
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luigi_uk
WOE: nutritional ketosis-Maintenance
Start Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Phillip - awesome!!
+1

my BK tonight were 0.5, no exercise today or yesterday
fat: 219.62g

protein: 73.38g

carbs: 25.53g

going back home tomorrow so might do a workout, def next day
Old 12-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #384
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi_uk View Post
+1

my BK tonight were 0.5, no exercise today or yesterday
fat: 219.62g

protein: 73.38g

carbs: 25.53g

going back home tomorrow so might do a workout, def next day
Great job! Have to applaud anyone in nutritional ketosis! Makes me jealous!
Old 12-26-2012, 11:48 PM   #385
Senior LCF Member

First of all THANK YOU GUYS SOOOO MUCH for your nudging me to track my intake. That was the first thing I did after dinner and holy cow was I surprised. Turns I've been totally over eating!

But in short, turns out I was eating more than 3000 calories per day!

The good news was that I was keeping a good ratio of fats... making up about 80% of my total caloric intake.. and my carbs were about 30 gm total.

My evening Ketone measurement was 1.2 .. so that was the other bit of good news.

I guess we solved the problem of why my weightloss has stalled!

The only other issue I have is that I thought that when I'm in nutritional ketosis, and I'm eating the proper amount of fat.. my appetite is supposed to go down right?

Volek and Phinney recommend eating to satiety... and when I ate to satiety I ate 3000+ calories! What gives?

Anyone else with this experience?
Old 12-27-2012, 05:41 AM   #386
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think your plan of attack looks good. Dropping one hot chocolate is a great place to start. If you go to page 206 in their Living book, it will explain the weight loss intake phase of a well formulated weight loss diet.

They have reduced fat to 56% of calorie intake, which is for weight loss, vs 80% for weight maintenance.

Appetite suppression seems to be one of those YMMV things. It seems to get better when you are in the range on a more consistent basis.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:04 AM   #387
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjcaveman View Post
First of all THANK YOU GUYS SOOOO MUCH for your nudging me to track my intake. That was the first thing I did after dinner and holy cow was I surprised. Turns I've been totally over eating!

Volek and Phinney recommend eating to satiety... and when I ate to satiety I ate 3000+ calories! What gives?

Hello!

I had the same experience when I started tracking. In my mind, I had "already started" NK because I had restarted my efforts to eat low carb. But now I say that I didn't really start NK until November 3 because my whole first week included several days that were around 2500 calories, mostly from having well over 100 grams of protein and sometimes as much as 70 grams of carbs.

But now it's much easier for me to stay under my maximum protein and carbs every day without any hunger problems at all. I still have an occasional day where I slip up and have 90+ grams of protein (restaurants!), but I can also have days when I hit 55 grams, and I am done!!

-------

Regarding my ketone reading update, I'm missing data from Dec 19, 20 and 21 due to waiting on my next box of strips to be delivered, but here is the trend since the 22nd:

Dec 22 (strips arrived mid-morning, 2 hrs after breakfast): 1.8
Dec 23: 1.9 (a.m.); 2.1 (p.m.)
Dec 24: 1.2 (a.m.); 0.9 (p.m.) - weird, lower p.m. reading!
Dec 25: 1.4 (a.m.); no p.m. reading
Dec 26: 0.9 (a.m.); 1.2 (p.m.)
Dec 27: 1.3 (a.m.); no p.m. reading yet!

Not really a "trend" I guess, but I do believe I had too much protein on the 25th (Christmas get-togethers!) which led to the lower morning reading on the 26th.

As for weight, I've honestly been about the same for over a month. I get excited every time I see a pound lower than the day before, but a day or two later it comes back. Today I'm having one of those "good days" where I'm 4 pounds lower than my starting weight from Nov 1, but it will soon be 2 months from that date. I guess an average rate of losing 2 pounds per month is certainly better than gaining (!!), but it's oh so slow.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #388
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjcaveman View Post
LOL I think a lot of us had that revelation when we first started tracking.

Quote:
But in short, turns out I was eating more than 3000 calories per day!

The good news was that I was keeping a good ratio of fats... making up about 80% of my total caloric intake.. and my carbs were about 30 gm total.
To lose you may need to go below 80% fat. As you know from reading the book, Phinney and Volek do not recommend a particular fat % for weight loss, but they do recommend reducing fat to lose which would necessarily reduce your fat percentage. When I was losing my fat fell into the 65-70% range.

Quote:
My evening Ketone measurement was 1.2 .. so that was the other bit of good news.

I guess we solved the problem of why my weightloss has stalled!
Glad to hear that your ketones are up!

Quote:
The only other issue I have is that I thought that when I'm in nutritional ketosis, and I'm eating the proper amount of fat.. my appetite is supposed to go down right?

I am one who did not have my appetite reduced substantially at first. It was pretty painful to reduce my protein (after 11 years of LC) and total calories. I would say that it took a few weeks and then I started feeling satisfied, but not full. I would say that these days I am satisfied with my meals, but could almost always eat more if I allowed myself to. To be completely honest, when I finish a meal I usually have a moment of thinking "is that all?", I mentally check to see if I am really hungry (usually no), and then I tell myself that I am finished for that meal. I have had a couple of times that I was so full that I couldn't eat any more. But that is a rare thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
I think your plan of attack looks good. Dropping one hot chocolate is a great place to start. If you go to page 206 in their Living book, it will explain the weight loss intake phase of a well formulated weight loss diet.

They have reduced fat to 56% of calorie intake, which is for weight loss, vs 80% for weight maintenance.

Appetite suppression seems to be one of those YMMV things. It seems to get better when you are in the range on a more consistent basis.
Don't get hung up on trying to get your fat up super high. Find the level that allows ketosis and weight loss for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnstrungHarp View Post
Hello!

I had the same experience when I started tracking. In my mind, I had "already started" NK because I had restarted my efforts to eat low carb. But now I say that I didn't really start NK until November 3 because my whole first week included several days that were around 2500 calories, mostly from having well over 100 grams of protein and sometimes as much as 70 grams of carbs.

But now it's much easier for me to stay under my maximum protein and carbs every day without any hunger problems at all. I still have an occasional day where I slip up and have 90+ grams of protein (restaurants!), but I can also have days when I hit 55 grams, and I am done!!
It does get easier once you get used to it!

Quote:
Regarding my ketone reading update, I'm missing data from Dec 19, 20 and 21 due to waiting on my next box of strips to be delivered, but here is the trend since the 22nd:

Dec 22 (strips arrived mid-morning, 2 hrs after breakfast): 1.8
Dec 23: 1.9 (a.m.); 2.1 (p.m.)
Dec 24: 1.2 (a.m.); 0.9 (p.m.) - weird, lower p.m. reading!
Dec 25: 1.4 (a.m.); no p.m. reading
Dec 26: 0.9 (a.m.); 1.2 (p.m.)
Dec 27: 1.3 (a.m.); no p.m. reading yet!

Not really a "trend" I guess, but I do believe I had too much protein on the 25th (Christmas get-togethers!) which led to the lower morning reading on the 26th.

As for weight, I've honestly been about the same for over a month. I get excited every time I see a pound lower than the day before, but a day or two later it comes back. Today I'm having one of those "good days" where I'm 4 pounds lower than my starting weight from Nov 1, but it will soon be 2 months from that date. I guess an average rate of losing 2 pounds per month is certainly better than gaining (!!), but it's oh so slow.
for good ketone readings!! Have you thought about making any changes to get weight-loss going?
Old 12-27-2012, 06:30 AM   #389
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone! As I posted yesterday things are very busy at work. I am able to post in the morning and evening, but during the day it's not so easy. I do read though, and try to remember what I want to respond to.

This morning ketones were .7. Maintenance is going smashingly for now.

How is everyone else this morning?
Old 12-27-2012, 07:17 AM   #390
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Good morning all! Ketones are at 0.6 today (and yesterday). I've been lazy on the logging and tracking of my food. I start out tracking and all, then give it up by mid day- not good for me. I do much better when I track.

I'm incredibly tired today- didn't sleep well last night, and I have a pretty full day. I stepped on the scale and skitted off real fast when I didn't see a loss

I have my Dr's appt w/the D.O tomorrow, so I am looking forward to that and working on optimizing my thyroids.

Hope everyone is doing well!
Closed Thread