Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 09:03 AM   #301
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post

What gram level of protein are you eating now? What were you eating before? It's hard to say about the strength when you take time off. Just taking time off can cause you to lose LBM, and there are so many other factors. I'm glad that you're feeling better and getting your macros in a good place for you. Have you seen any movement on the scale?

There is a connection, some people cannot lose no matter what they do if their thyroid is off. But getting it optimized doesn't automatically mean you'll lose weight, you still have to do the work. I think that some people think that if you just take thyroid hormones you will lose weight without having to do anything else. It still takes work, but the getting the thyroid right makes it possible instead of impossible. And you will feel much better!
So, I was eating up to 70g of protein before- anywhere between 55 and 75g, mostly on the higher end. Now, it's closer to 100g of protein- give or take a few grams- and I feel much better. I was craving protein before, now I am much calmer about the food.

I am afraid to weigh myself again so soon after the last weigh in- incase it was just a fluctuation- so I'll weight until next week sometime to see what happened on the scale.

As far as the thyroid thing- maybe if I get it optimized, it won't be impossible to get below my stall weight. Plus- if I feel better, that will make a huge difference in my overall health I think.

Thanks for the support

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2012, 09:07 AM   #302
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Morning everyone!

You young uns are just wearing me out with your exercise But, I am proud of all of you and you are doing what all of us should be, to some extent at least. My goal is to just get back to walking several days a week, I need to do that for so many reasons.

My ketone reading this morning sure told on me. 0.2. The last thing I ate yesterday was 3 small pieces of some kind of brittle that DH brought home, a friend had given him several pieces and although I have been able to turn down most candy during the holidays, this was so good that I had the 2nd and 3rd piece. I think it had honey in it, not sure but that was the only carby thing I had eaten yesterday. My dinner included both meatloaf and cottage cheese and both were higher in carbs than just a plain meat.

Even though, I had yet another drop in weight of another lb, new low this AM of 186.4. I am blown away by my weight loss this month and can't believe what I am seeing. Not sure what or why it is happening but maybe since I only lost 1 1/2 lbs in Nov. it was just time for my body to release. Have set my new goal to be 185 by New Years.

Sophie, glad your body is liking the higher protein and lower fat and hope you aren't hungry, like Kristn says, we all have to tweak to get it working just right for us.
Your weightloss is really exciting!! I'd be ecstatic too!
Old 12-20-2012, 09:08 AM   #303
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
My choir party last night and my 0.3 ketone level yesterday persuaded me to skip todays' reading.

I am with you Buffy, I will be happy to walk and after all the multiple Christmas gatherings I will be happy to start the Slow Burn workouts.
I'm ready.

Right after the Christmas parties.

I'm really happy to have so many gatherings, but the one at our house tomorrow is making me step pretty lively.

for your weight loss no matter what you do and no matter what you eat!! Marvel!!

So happy day to all you youngsters who make me feel hopeful for my slightly older self.
So, what is the deal w/Slow Burn? What is it exactly?
Old 12-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #304
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
So, what is the deal w/Slow Burn? What is it exactly?
Well if I had done it yet I would be able to describe it better!

Fred Hahn believes in working the muscle to exhaustion - where you feel like your arms and legs are rubber bands. He also believes in working out infrequently which has appealed to me so much I haven't worked out at all!

I bought the book (used on Amazon was pennies) then bought the DVDs because Carolyn on the EFGT board said they were quite helpful. She went on the lowcarb cruise and Fred was one of the speakers - she was quite impressed.

Sophie after Christmas I'll let you know - and I'm pretty sure it will take awhile before I am stronger. I hope you had a nice Chanukah.

I think you're right about getting your thyroid optimized. It's not a free pass, but you will feel better all around. That makes everything better and more manageable!
Old 12-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #305
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Well if I had done it yet I would be able to describe it better!

Fred Hahn believes in working the muscle to exhaustion - where you feel like your arms and legs are rubber bands. He also believes in working out infrequently which has appealed to me so much I haven't worked out at all!

!
Old 12-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #306
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
What great posts everyone!!!!!

Sophie...you are so right about getting the thyroid where it belongs. You just have the most wonderful sense of "well being". That's the only way I can describe it. You feel "well" and even keeled.....I don't know about you, but I had highs and lows and was all over the place emotionally and tired in the afternoons. Now I just feel "even" and don't want to rest at all...just like the little energizer bunny! It feels good to feel good again after you don't for so long. I am so hopeful for you and this DO you are seeing!

Buffy...WOW is all I can say. You are doing so well with the weightloss all of a sudden. It must be your toffee!! Please send some my way! :-)

Judy....let me know what you think of the Slow Burn. My former trainer did that with me, and it was also sort of what they do with Body for Life. My current trainer said she never wants me to go to "failure" again as there are current studies that say it's not the way to go. I also wonder how much of this has to do with male/female, and also age of youth, pre-menopausal and post menopausal. All I can say is that she was NOT happy with me doing that type of training. And I'm 64 years of age in case you think I'm a young'un! ha ha

Lindsay...you crack me up with your denial over trying to sit and stand back up! I DARE you!!!!! I'll bet you surprise yourself.

One of my favorite machines at the gym is the assisted pull-up thingie. I can't imagine I'll ever get one unassisted in my lifetime, but it feels good to have "help" and go through the motions. Kristn, I bet you get one!!!! You work hard and you will get there.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #307
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Judy....let me know what you think of the Slow Burn. My former trainer did that with me, and it was also sort of what they do with Body for Life. My current trainer said she never wants me to go to "failure" again as there are current studies that say it's not the way to go. I also wonder how much of this has to do with male/female, and also age of youth, pre-menopausal and post menopausal. All I can say is that she was NOT happy with me doing that type of training. And I'm 64 years of age in case you think I'm a young'un! ha ha
I'll be 55 soon and I don't feel old but.... I am positive I can't sit down cross-legged and stand again without using my arms to assist me.

Well darn on the Slow Burn. I'll probably still give it a try, but it will certainly be further down the road.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #308
Big Yapper!!!!

Judy, perhaps start with a barely moving burn video?
Old 12-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #309
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I'll be 55 soon and I don't feel old but.... I am positive I can't sit down cross-legged and stand again without using my arms to assist me.

Well darn on the Slow Burn. I'll probably still give it a try, but it will certainly be further down the road.
Judy...you ordered the book and video...I would watch it and do what you could and see how you feel doing it. Don't "do it" or "not do it" just because of what someone else says. I listen to my trainer, but I also have my own mind and my own history...although she's been right on track so far! I'd be curious to know how you feel about it.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #310
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Judy, perhaps start with a barely moving burn video?
I like this idea!!!!
Old 12-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #311
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Hi everyone! I had another super-busy day at work today but now I'm off for 5 days!

I'm glad everyone is doing so well! And congratulations on your loss Buffy! It seems that you're really on a roll--KUTGW!

Lindsay--I guess we can both work towards a pull-up in 2013!

Sophie--I think getting your thyroid optimized will change a lot for you. I'm glad to hear that you've found a protein level (100 grams) that works for you and allows you to stay in ketosis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1
He also believes in working out infrequently which has appealed to me so much I haven't worked out at all!
This cracked me up!!

I was an infrequent and non-exerciser myself for a really long time. I feel like if I can change anyone can. I actually really love it now, and I love what it does for my body--especially getting older.

Shelley--it sounds like you've got a good trainer to work with!

I don't think I posted but my ketones were .8 this morning. Still hanging around a bit above 145 but I am hopeful that I'll be back down soon.

Hopefully I didn't miss anyone! I'm just trying to catch up and my mind is totally cached right now.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 12-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #312
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi everyone! I had another super-busy day at work today but now I'm off for 5 days!
Kristn,

How wonderful!!!! Enjoy your time off
Old 12-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #313
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
This cracked me up!!

I was an infrequent and non-exerciser myself for a really long time. I feel like if I can change anyone can. I actually really love it now, and I love what it does for my body--especially getting older.

I can.
I will.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:49 AM   #314
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Myles
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
look at healthcheckusa - you can order blood tests from them, get a requisition form to take to a lab- just check the states and see if there is a lab close enough for you
i'm in canada that site only lists states in the us
Old 12-21-2012, 05:28 AM   #315
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone!

This morning's ketones were 1.3. That's 13 days with ketones over .5. I would like to see 145 on the scale, but it's not cooperating. This morning I was 147.2.

My first day off and I'm up early. DH and I are going out shopping today and then he booked us massages this afternoon! Starting tomorrow he's reserved three nights in a suite downtown. I will be away from my scale and possibly my meter during that time and the only food will be restaurant food. Not the greatest for the diet, but it will be a nice in-town getaway with DH (his birthday present to me). Then I have my actual birthday on the 1st with family in town and my one carb-up meal. If I make it into 2013 under 150 it will be a miracle.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:43 AM   #316
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolash View Post
i'm in canada that site only lists states in the us
You can try to get a referral to a endocrinologist or ask your p.c.p. to do more specific tests due to your syptoms of thyroid disease. They should at very least check for hashimoto disease and t4/t3.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:20 AM   #317
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning!
My ketones were 0.3 again this morning. The past 2 days I have had cottage cheese, a good sized portion, maybe that is a no no for me. Won't have any today and see if my ketones rise tomorrow morning. I don't like to see them under that zone that starts at 0.5.

Kristn, sounds like you have a very nice few days with DH planned, enjoy and relax.

To everyone, stay strong, the next few days will be a challenge for all of us. We can do this!
Old 12-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #318
Major LCF Poster!

Buffy--good luck getting your ketones back up. I'm sure you'll figure out what's going on.

I have started a thread for 2013 NK goals here: Nutritional Ketosis Goals for 2013.

I figure we all may need some goals and inspiration after the holidays!
Old 12-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #319
Big Yapper!!!!

will go right now and mark my spot, thanks Kristn. I had cottage cheese yesterday and we recieved a can of peanuts as a Christmas gift, I did eat quite a few of those. Will cut both out today and work my ketones back up.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #320
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

0.2 ketones.

I think I'm going to go with my original plan of staying low carb (I'm still within 2 pounds of my lowest low) and just get through Christmas.

I'm still not "hungry" - didn't eat much yesterday except protein. I have a large family dinner at our house tonight so - you all know how you can neglect yourself until it's over. And there WILL be wine!

Won't stress - I know how to do this.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:26 AM   #321
Big Yapper!!!!

Starting to look forward to Jan. 1 myself
Old 12-22-2012, 05:27 AM   #322
Major LCF Poster!

I had a great day yesterday, shopping and lunch with DH was fantastic. I ended up just having coffee for breakfast to save some of my protein allowance for lunch out. I got fitted for bras for the first time since losing and my size was not at all what I thought it was.

This morning's ketones: 1.3
Days above .5: 14
Weight: 146.2 (down 1 lb)

Today I'm getting my hair done and then it's off with DH for a few days. We plan to hit museums, shop, eat great food, and we have tickets to The Hobbit at the IMAX on Monday. DH is definitely working on helping me feel good leading into my birthday. I have to admit that I've really been struggling with this one, I can't believe that I'm hitting the big five oh. Luckily I have all of my great role-models here on LCF who are amazing, vital, women over fifty.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:32 AM   #323
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
0.2 ketones.

I think I'm going to go with my original plan of staying low carb (I'm still within 2 pounds of my lowest low) and just get through Christmas.

I'm still not "hungry" - didn't eat much yesterday except protein. I have a large family dinner at our house tonight so - you all know how you can neglect yourself until it's over. And there WILL be wine!

Won't stress - I know how to do this.

Quote:
Starting to look forward to Jan. 1 myself
for making it through the holidays without stress and worry!
Old 12-22-2012, 06:44 AM   #324
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Just wanted to say hello to everybody and give my little non-update... ha ha. Still waiting on ketone strips to get here, so I haven't been able to test for several days now. All this week I've done the 144-145 tango. And, this week I've had a few of what I not-so-affectionately call "fat days" where I just feel... heavy (?) and really hate what I see in the mirror. I'm trying to not let it get me down.

I have decided that I'm stopping Body Beast once I finish this "week" (which, on my calendar where I've spread out the workouts further than a week, will end on Wednesday the 26th). I'm expecting those new XTrain workouts to get here any day, but if I don't have them by the 27th, maybe I'll take some days off and/or do yoga. I just looked on my calendar and saw that I started Body Beast on November 26, so it looks like by next week I will have given the system a full month of my undivided workout attention! I've really enjoyed them and plan on revisiting them someday (maintenance? I wish!), but for now I've got to focus on fine tuning the NK experience somehow.

At least I did receive my little bottle of EZ Sweets and the big bottles of DaVinci syrup, which I love. My taste buds are starting to adjust to having those in my coffee instead of Sweet & Low. I have a whole box of unopened Sweet & Low in my cabinet, hope it stays that way!

Off-topic side note: We did our Christmas gift opening early because the kids have to leave early on Christmas morning to fly to Florida to stay with their "mom" for a week (long story). We always let them open their gifts a few days early so they aren't so rushed. Anyway, for some reason I was suspecting that my husband had got me boxing gloves...maybe it was the size of the box? I had been instructed not to pick it up or shake it (ha ha), so all I had to go on was the dimensions. (Why boxing gloves? He knew I was thinking of getting some because there will be a boxing workout in the aforementioned XTrain.) But I was very wrong!! He thoughtfully got me the Rosetta Stone system for French as well as some classical CDs and aria songbooks! Talk about stepping outside of his comfort zone!! I've been trying to learn French off-and-on as time permits for years now and always wanted to try Rosetta Stone. And my obsession with classical music and opera is a source of constant teasing in my country-music-loving family.

So anyway, I love my husband!
Old 12-22-2012, 07:06 AM   #325
Major LCF Poster!

Lindsay--I hate those fat days! Even when you have empirical evidence that you're not gaining, your mind can play tricks on you.

After we made the switch to the liquid we had lots of packets of splenda in the cupboard for years. We finally ditched them a few years back when we realized that we weren't going back.

I can't wait to hear how the XTrain workouts go. A few days off with or without yoga sounds smart.

What great gifts from your DH! Do you have plans to visit France anytime soon? I am terrible with languages, but my oldest son seems to want to learn them all. He took Spanish in HS, is taking German in college, and picked up some Czech over the last semester. I barely made it out of HS Spanish.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:49 AM   #326
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning.
I never did get over my sinus infection and since I am still having terrible sinus headaches and not feeling well, I called Dr. again and he called in a new antibiotic yesterday, hope it works this time. I have had pneumonia several times and so am worried I will slip into that. Got as much rest as possible yesterday.

Lindsay, very nice, thought out gifts from DH. And yes, hate those fat days and don't you think they are tied to our hormone cycle? At least when our diet is the same, I can eat the exact same way and for a few days feel so thin, then feel so fat. Hate the fat days.

My ketones were up to 0.4 from 2 days of 0.3. Not sure what is going on with being sick, meds, etc. but I still don't have much of an appetite so will just go with the flow. I didn't eat any cottage cheese yesterday. Don't feel like cooking though which is a problem, getting enough to eat and the right things. My head just feels like it is about to blow.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:49 AM   #327
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh, forgot the good news, I am down another 1/2 lb!!! December has been a magical weight loss month for me.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:53 AM   #328
Major LCF Poster!

Congratulations on your loss, Buffy!!

I think the ketones are the least of your worries right now. Please take care of yourself and hopefully you will be feeling better soon.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #329
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:

Lindsay, very nice, thought out gifts from DH. And yes, hate those fat days and don't you think they are tied to our hormone cycle? At least when our diet is the same, I can eat the exact same way and for a few days feel so thin, then feel so fat. Hate the fat days.
I always used to have a few fat days right before TOM, but the spell I'm having this week is way too soon for that. Who knows??

I hope you start feeling better very soon!!
Old 12-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #330
Big Yapper!!!!

Thank you all for the well wishes. I do feel just a little better today so hopefully, this antibiotic is the right one for the germs I have in me at this time. Doubled up on the probiotics too. Off to rest right now.
Closed Thread