Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #271
Senior LCF Member
 
sasonnier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 247
Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
well, if it doesn't help me lose weight, at least I should have an increase in energy and clearer thinking perhaps?
Thanks for input!
sasonnier is offline  

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #272
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
JMCM1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,383
Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
well, if it doesn't help me lose weight, at least I should have an increase in energy and clearer thinking perhaps?
Thanks for input!
I think so.
I have noticed a very nice difference in the last 2-1/2 months of treatment.
JMCM1 is offline  
Old 12-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #273
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 867
Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
Thank You Shelley!! One thing I have noticed about me is my lack of energy- despite my clean eating. I never have 'felt better" from eating lo-carb like others describe- and I guess my lab tests explain why. I'll call this Dr. I'm looking into and see if she can Rx for me. Good news is, I'm really close to Connecticut and naturopaths can do it all there- that's where I went for my blood tests...
Oh Sophie...I"m so happy for you. Finding a doctor is the HARDEST thing there is when it comes to thyroid issues. Endocrinologists are supposed to be the ones that specialize in it, and all they're really good for is diabetes...their idea of optimization for thyroid is to take Synthroid because that's what they learned in medical school..a.nd guess who wrote the books for them to learn?! Yup. Keep me posted on how you do with your people in CT. Such great news! I'm grinning for you from ear to ear.
shelley is offline  
Old 12-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #274
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 867
Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Shelley!
So timely - my dd32 has just had her thyroid panel and I was dreading trying to decipher it all myself - I'm still in the middle of having my own tweaking of hypothyroid. I do feel "better", though, and my doc, after seeing my numbers (which were better) said, "well we're going to get you feeling even better than this!"

Sophie, Shelley is right - it probably won't do anything to make you lose weight, but it is awfully tough to lose weight when your thyroid isn't optimized -- even when you're doing everything right.

I asked my DD32 to have her doc get TSH, FT3 and FT4.
So here's what she came back with:

T3 uptake 27% (range 22-35)
T4 (thyroxine), total 8.8 mcg/dL (range 4.5-12.0)
Free T4 Index (T7) 2.4 (range 1.4-3.8)
TSH 2.56 mIU/L

So to me it looks like her TSH is high and I can't tell about the T3 because I don't know what T3uptake will tell me or if it's the same as FreeT3. I will look on the stopthethyroidmadness site - but Shelley if you get a chance will you look this over too? And/or Kristn?

I actually wish they had tested her hormones - she's never had a child and is 32 but frequently has hot flashes - personally I think it could be because she's probably undiagnosed hypoglycemic and is not eating lc, so has the see-sawing blood sugar. It would just be nice to know.
Oh no, Judy....What a total waste of time and $$$ for those tests. Those are the ones the "old school" docs use that are dinosaur tests! They tell you nothing about what the body "has to use" for energy, etc. They only tell what is "in the body", but not able to be USED! The ONLY tests that mean squat are FREE T4 and FREE T3. The total, uptakes and such are useless. The TSH test is somewhat useful as a guideline, but it's NOT a thyroid test. I believe it's a pituitary test!!!! Darn these doctors! This is what makes me want to scream!!!! (that's a scream, not a laugh)

All I can say from those results is that her TSH is high...I would NOT feel well at all with that reading. But, without the proper tests, there isn't much that can be done. So sorry. Hope she can find a doc that does proper testing, or else get it done herself and know what the deal is.

I'm NOT a doctor, but often young women are very deficient in progesterone and that would also be a cause for hot flashes (and fibroids I think too if I remember correctly all those years ago). Getting tested before trying out progesterone cream is wise......even though it's an OTC thing. Sure hope she can find a doc that will help. Naturopaths are great as are some nurse practitioners and DO's. Let me know what she decides to do, okay!
__________________
Shelley
shelley is offline  
Old 12-18-2012, 05:31 PM   #275
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
JMCM1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,383
Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Oh no, Judy....What a total waste of time and $$$ for those tests. Those are the ones the "old school" docs use that are dinosaur tests! They tell you nothing about what the body "has to use" for energy, etc. They only tell what is "in the body", but not able to be USED! The ONLY tests that mean squat are FREE T4 and FREE T3. The total, uptakes and such are useless. The TSH test is somewhat useful as a guideline, but it's NOT a thyroid test. I believe it's a pituitary test!!!! Darn these doctors! This is what makes me want to scream!!!! (that's a scream, not a laugh)

All I can say from those results is that her TSH is high...I would NOT feel well at all with that reading. But, without the proper tests, there isn't much that can be done. So sorry. Hope she can find a doc that does proper testing, or else get it done herself and know what the deal is.

I'm NOT a doctor, but often young women are very deficient in progesterone and that would also be a cause for hot flashes (and fibroids I think too if I remember correctly all those years ago). Getting tested before trying out progesterone cream is wise......even though it's an OTC thing. Sure hope she can find a doc that will help. Naturopaths are great as are some nurse practitioners and DO's. Let me know what she decides to do, okay!
Shelley thank you so much!
She will ask to be re-tested and if they won't, I already have my DO who prescribes natural thyroid for me. I did my own test from healthcheckusa and she took it from there.

I will see if she can get the FT3 - is the "Free T4 Index (T7)" of any use? My test said "Free T4" when I did it.

Love your insight - thanks!
JMCM1 is offline  
Old 12-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #276
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 867
Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Shelley thank you so much!
She will ask to be re-tested and if they won't, I already have my DO who prescribes natural thyroid for me. I did my own test from healthcheckusa and she took it from there.

I will see if she can get the FT3 - is the "Free T4 Index (T7)" of any use? My test said "Free T4" when I did it.

Love your insight - thanks!
I'm so glad that she's close enough to be able to use your DO....and healthcheckusa is wonderful. They have been my go-to for testing for the last 2 years! (the closest lab is a 90 minute drive from my house, but it's worth it)

The T7 test is also useless.....the "key" is the words total, index, uptake, etc. You only want FREE!!!!

I'm happy that you both have someone to go to...makes such a huge difference as it's so difficult to find someone who "gets it". Good news!
shelley is offline  
Old 12-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #277
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Hi all!
I was at a training all day today and I'm just now checking in.

Sophie & Judy--Shelley has great wisdom in the thyroid area! I agree with everything she wrote.

I really wanted the natural thyroid hormone to work for me, but after a year of trying to get it right I ended up with a combo of synthetic T4/T3. The natural is so much cheaper and I think better for so many people. It works great for everyone else I know.

And Sophie--you should definitely feel an increase in energy and clearer thinking once you get it right. It does take some patience, however, to really get optimized.

My experience with thyroid and weight-loss is that getting it right won't make you lose weight, but it was impossible for me to lose without getting my thyroid right. Once the thyroid was optimized and I really worked the plan the scale started moving.

Judy and Buffy--you're doing such a great thing for your DDs! I wish my mom had been clued in to this and that I didn't have to wait until my age to figure it out.
__________________
Kristn
50 yo
LC since 2001
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 12-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #278
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnstrungHarp View Post
Hello everybody! Here's my update for today....kinda long since I'm very wordy and over-analytical.

- Still feeling like I've got the beginnings of a cold (raw, sore throat and sinus drainage), but it comes and goes - and at times feels gone completely. And I've been having those "moments" I now associate with high ketones: a sudden, unexplainable feeling of, "wow, I feel really great!" that pop up periodically throughout the day.

- Last few ketone readings:
Sunday morning: 1.6
Sunday afternoon (3 hours after a Chinese buffet lunch): 1.1 (yay!!)
Monday morning: 1.6
Monday evening: 1.8
Tuesday morning (today): 0.8

Because (prior to last Friday) I had been very disappointed by continuous low ketone readings, I decided to start taking 2 readings a day to get a better picture of what was happening. So now, my box of strips are already gone, and I'm awaiting delivery of my next one. I'm not sure why this morning's reading is so much lower than yesterday's, but I suppose I'll be happy with anything over 0.5. I guess it could be the Greek yogurt I had yesterday evening because my calories and protein were so low for the day...
Thanks for checking in! And congratulations on the great ketone readings!

Quote:
- I have not had a workout since last Friday morning...which is partially intentional, and partially due to this being my busiest time of the month for work. I am definitely going to work out today!
How are you feeling about not working out as much?

Quote:
So I broke down and got a Caesar salad from Panera Bread with no croutons. Found out when I got home last night and checked the website: it was only 6g of protein, 6g of total carbs, and 20g of fat! Hooray!
Great choice!

Quote:
- Sadly, my weight is hovering around the same number that it has been for the past month...this morning: 144. No sore muscles to blame it on this time.

That's all for now...time for a workout!
How was your workout?

Once ketosis is firmly established if you're still not losing you'll need to evaluate your intake to try and get your weight loss moving. It seems like you're really making great progress.
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 12-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #279
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
JMCM1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,383
Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Hi all!
Sophie & Judy--Shelley has great wisdom in the thyroid area! I agree with everything she wrote.

I really wanted the natural thyroid hormone to work for me, but after a year of trying to get it right I ended up with a combo of synthetic T4/T3. The natural is so much cheaper and I think better for so many people. It works great for everyone else I know.

My experience with thyroid and weight-loss is that getting it right won't make you lose weight, but it was impossible for me to lose without getting my thyroid right. Once the thyroid was optimized and I really worked the plan the scale started moving.
I'm glad you chimed in - I'm always interested in hearing any and all points of view.

I think the natural v. synthetic is yet another example of how our different bodies and perhaps the different times in our lives will handle the different meds.

My DO first prescribed synthroid. It was $4 for 30 pills. I am just now officially menopausal. I had never had night sweats or hot flashes (a few 'warm' flashes, but nothing big). At exactly 2-1/2 weeks with synthroid (which I think has no T3?) I had nightly sweats - several times/night.
This was going the wrong direction.

I had a follow-up appointment and she immediately switched me to natural thyroid. Within 2 weeks, the night sweats stopped and I haven't had one more. I have also gotten bio-identical hormone cream and I have been able to sleep better than I have in months. So yay. I get these things at my compounding pharmacy, so they are not less expensive, but it's one of those things I can tell I will prioritize for feeling better, also emotionally better, and sleeping better.

You are taking a medication, it looks like, that has both T3 and T4 - it doesn't matter what works as long as something does!
__________________
Judy
JMCM1 is offline  
Old 12-19-2012, 04:00 AM   #280
Senior LCF Member
 
Myles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 394
Gallery: Myles
I must have missed it. Can you guys point me to the post where i can get information on what to get tested for my thyroid stuff? I want to get checked out. Does it have to be done through my doctor or are there any tests that i can do by mail order or something? My doctor will want to know WHY i want to get tested for thyroid stuffs, so i'll need a reason/excuse - Any idea?
Myles is offline  
Old 12-19-2012, 04:52 AM   #281
Senior LCF Member
 
sasonnier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 247
Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolash View Post
I must have missed it. Can you guys point me to the post where i can get information on what to get tested for my thyroid stuff? I want to get checked out. Does it have to be done through my doctor or are there any tests that i can do by mail order or something? My doctor will want to know WHY i want to get tested for thyroid stuffs, so i'll need a reason/excuse - Any idea?
look at healthcheckusa - you can order blood tests from them, get a requisition form to take to a lab- just check the states and see if there is a lab close enough for you
sasonnier is offline  
Old 12-19-2012, 05:44 AM   #282
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 9,087
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
I finally pulled out my lab report from the 1st of Oct. to see my thyroid tests, I go to a well thought of endocrinologist for my thyroid and diabetes. This is what is on my lab report and he goes by this and also how the patient feels.

T4 - Total 11 range 4.5 - 17.5
T-uptake 34.7 25-35
TSH 0.39 0.3-4.5
T-7 3.82 1.20 - 4.30

I feel good, I never feel like I have as much energy as I would like but I am 67, I have diabetes, I have HBP and am on 3 meds for that, so is the lack of energy age, not optimized thyroid, combo of illness, meds? Overall feeling of pretty good. I take 150mcg of levoxyl daily with 1/2 dose on Sundays.

My BK were 0.7 which is a pretty normal reading for me first thing AM, BG was 81. What is interesting is that I made meatloaf for dinner last night and since DH doesn't like my LC recipe with porkrinds as a filler, I was in a hurry and instead of making 2 different ones, I just used my regular old recipe with oatmeal for it. I wondered if it would knock me out of ketosis but I seemed to be able to handle the carbs.

Lost almost 1 more lb.
__________________
Buffy
Buffy45 is offline  
Old 12-19-2012, 05:46 AM   #283
Senior LCF Member
 
UnstrungHarp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 159
Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Thanks for checking in! And congratulations on the great ketone readings!

How are you feeling about not working out as much?

How was your workout?

Once ketosis is firmly established if you're still not losing you'll need to evaluate your intake to try and get your weight loss moving. It seems like you're really making great progress.
Well, psychologically I'm still struggling with the idea of being someone who "only" works out 3 or 4 days a week, max. Especially during the less busy times with my work, when I certainly have the time each day to do something for at least 30 minutes. Since I had to reschedule my Body Beast workouts due to missing a few days, I've spread out one week's worth of workouts to a week and a half...hey - my body doesn't know if the workouts aren't fitting neatly into a calendar grid!!

I've got a new workout system by my favorite instructor coming to me probably by the end of December that I preordered months ago, and I'm absurdly excited about it. I'm not sure how its workout schedule is going to be set up, but I'm going to do my best to customize the schedule to 4 days a week - maybe 5, if one of the workouts is "lighter" or really short.

Oh - yesterday's workout was fabulous: Body Beast: Bulk Shoulders. Just enough to feel a great burn and get my heart rate up, but I didn't sweat much (but my basement is cold). Today, if I have time, will be Bulk Legs - a major toughie!

Regarding your last point, I don't have any more ketone strips at the moment, so no testing until my next box arrives (hurry up!!!!). My weight was still 144 this morning, which means if I were to graph my progress since November 1 (start date of NK), I've lost about 3 pounds. But I've been tweaking my intake in various ways the whole time and only recently cut out some of my potential problem foods. Without trying, my calories yesterday were only 1250. In fact, since Sunday, my calories have unintentionally gone down by at least 100 each day (approximately 1600, 1500, 1400, 1250). The decrease isn't coming from one particular macro - it seems to be generally across the board. I didn't want to see that number drop down below 1500, but I couldn't think of anything else to eat that would be okay for the past couple of days, plus I certainly wasn't going hungry.

I don't know if I've mentioned this anywhere, but my height is only 5'3" and I believe I'm small framed. People comment on how tiny my wrists are, but I've never measured them. So that's why I'm not satisfied with where I am weight-wise (140s) and am trying to get in the neighborhood of 120 along with attaining a healthier body fat percentage.

Whew...gotta quit blabbing and get back to work!
__________________
** Lindsay **
UnstrungHarp is offline  
Old 12-19-2012, 05:48 AM   #284
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolash View Post
I must have missed it. Can you guys point me to the post where i can get information on what to get tested for my thyroid stuff? I want to get checked out. Does it have to be done through my doctor or are there any tests that i can do by mail order or something? My doctor will want to know WHY i want to get tested for thyroid stuffs, so i'll need a reason/excuse - Any idea?
Myles--as Sophie said, Healthcheckusa is a site where you can order tests. There is a discount code: 12345 that should give you 10% off.

The minimum tests you need are Free T3, Free T4, and TSH for thyroid. You might also consider vitamin D since you're already getting your blood drawn.
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 12-19-2012, 06:08 AM   #285
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Buffy--congratulations on the loss! You're making amazing progress!! The next time you get your thyroid tests done you might see if they'll do free T4 and free T3. These tests tell you how much actual thyroid hormone is available. Some people don't convert T4 to T3 very well and their T4 numbers and TSH can look good but they can still be low in T3 (which is what gives you energy).

Judy--it's so true that we're all different! I know that a lot of people respond much better to the natural thyroid than straight T4 (synthroid). My T3 numbers were always really low until my doctor and I really bumped up the T3. Many doctors are afraid to do this, but It's amazing how much better I feel. I'm glad that the natural thyroid hormone seems to be working well for you!

Lindsay--your workouts always sound amazing! Who is your favorite instructor? Be careful when your calories go down that you're getting enough protein. With your workouts you should probably try to stay at least at the lower end of the Performance range of protein (.6*LBM). If you're getting enough protein in and your calories dip down and you're not hungry it really shouldn't be a problem. It's when your protein and calories are low and you're overtraining where things start getting dicey. You want to keep your metabolism healthy but you still need enough of an energy deficit to lose.
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 12-19-2012, 06:12 AM   #286
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Good morning everyone!

Ketones this morning: .9
Days with ketones over .5: 11
Weight: 146.4 (up .4)

Yesterday didn't go as planned, the buffet lunch had very few options so I ended up eating most of my protein and carbs at lunch. I like to save these for dinner as I find it more satisfying. I ended up eating lots of fatty stuff for dinner but never really felt full.

How is everyone else doing this morning?
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 12-19-2012, 06:25 AM   #287
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnstrungHarp View Post
Well, psychologically I'm still struggling with the idea of being someone who "only" works out 3 or 4 days a week, max. Especially during the less busy times with my work, when I certainly have the time each day to do something for at least 30 minutes.
You don't have to do nothing on your off days. You could go for a walk with those 30 minutes and it would be a nice break from work and get you moving.
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 12-19-2012, 06:52 AM   #288
Senior LCF Member
 
UnstrungHarp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 159
Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post

Lindsay--your workouts always sound amazing! Who is your favorite instructor? Be careful when your calories go down that you're getting enough protein. With your workouts you should probably try to stay at least at the lower end of the Performance range of protein (.6*LBM). If you're getting enough protein in and your calories dip down and you're not hungry it really shouldn't be a problem. It's when your protein and calories are low and you're overtraining where things start getting dicey. You want to keep your metabolism healthy but you still need enough of an energy deficit to lose.
My favorite instructor is Cathe Friedrich! She's been making advanced workout videos since the Club Step was invented for aerobics, I believe (1980s??). I don't do a lot of step, but she creates many other types of workout videos. Her workouts are incredibly high quality and make most workouts by other instructors seem either wimpy or irritating (or both!). The new series that's coming out this month is called XTrain, and it will consist of a huge variety of well-rounded workouts. There's even one called "Hard Strikes" that is designed for wearing boxing gloves while doing all these punch combos. (Hope it's got lots of kicking too, that's my favorite aspect of workouts like that!) I can't wait to try "Tabatacise" which is based on the Tabata protocol. But one type of workout she has not done yet is kettlebells - sorry Kristn!! I think she said she didn't want to release a kettlebell workout until/unless she became certified in it (if that's a thing).

Hmm...using that protein formula (assuming it's pounds of LBM and not kg), my lower end is 53.16g. (The DEXA scan said I have 88.6 pounds of LBM.) I've only gone below that one day: 51g back on November 15. This week I've had two days of 54g and 55g. But I probably average in the mid 70s, so I should be okay in that respect. Looks like my fat intake varies widely though...some days it's just 100g, like yesterday, and other days it's 150-170g.
UnstrungHarp is offline  
Old 12-19-2012, 07:39 AM   #289
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnstrungHarp View Post
My favorite instructor is Cathe Friedrich! She's been making advanced workout videos since the Club Step was invented for aerobics, I believe (1980s??). I don't do a lot of step, but she creates many other types of workout videos. Her workouts are incredibly high quality and make most workouts by other instructors seem either wimpy or irritating (or both!). The new series that's coming out this month is called XTrain, and it will consist of a huge variety of well-rounded workouts. There's even one called "Hard Strikes" that is designed for wearing boxing gloves while doing all these punch combos. (Hope it's got lots of kicking too, that's my favorite aspect of workouts like that!) I can't wait to try "Tabatacise" which is based on the Tabata protocol. But one type of workout she has not done yet is kettlebells - sorry Kristn!! I think she said she didn't want to release a kettlebell workout until/unless she became certified in it (if that's a thing).
That tabatacise sounds interesting! I used to do rounds of bodyweight exercises using the tabata protocol in my pre-kettlebell days. It's seriously intense!

There are kettlebell certifications and it's a good sign that she doesn't want to do a video before getting certified. I played around with kettlebells and did some when I used to go to crossfit years ago. But I had no idea what I was doing and taking classes from trainers certified by Pavel has been an eye opener! The certification is RKC, although they're now moving to a new name/program? SFG (Strong First).

Quote:
Hmm...using that protein formula (assuming it's pounds of LBM and not kg), my lower end is 53.16g. (The DEXA scan said I have 88.6 pounds of LBM.) I've only gone below that one day: 51g back on November 15. This week I've had two days of 54g and 55g. But I probably average in the mid 70s, so I should be okay in that respect. Looks like my fat intake varies widely though...some days it's just 100g, like yesterday, and other days it's 150-170g.
It sounds like you're doing it right. Fat should be the variable in the equation. 70 is probably right if you're trying to gain LBM. I am keeping mine at 70ish right now just trying to maintain--it's at the very lowest level of that equation for me.
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 12-19-2012, 08:09 AM   #290
Senior LCF Member
 
sasonnier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 247
Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
well, my ketones dropped down to .3 today :-(
I think I'm gonna go back and see what I ate later last week and see if that brings me back up. This induction thing is a bit tricky to get just the right amt of carbs- 20 net, 15 of which from veggies. So, I think I'll just focus on getting nearly all of my carbs from veggies, and not focus so much on 15 net from veggies. It seems to me they focus on this as there are ppl eating the bars and other processed foods- which I don't- the only thing I have that isn't a veggie but is a carb is an unsweetened choc. baking bar- which I have had throughout this whole experiment off and on and never had issues w/my ketones- so I don't think that's the culprit. I'll focus more on lettuces and other greens- less on tomatoes :-/
__________________
_______________
-Sophie
sasonnier is offline  
Old 12-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #291
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 867
Gallery: shelley
Wow...lots of good posts this morning.

Buffy.....congratulations on seeing another loss with your toffee making...you make me drool every time you discuss your taste testing.....good thing it's not me as I'm not a chocolate lover, but toffee/butterscotch? Oh my!!!!!

Re: thyroid. Kristn, I'm glad your doc has you doing so well. I did well on NDT for a long time and then they changed the fillers and then it didn't work anymore. That might be a reason it didn't work for you too...wrong fillers in whatever it was that you were put on. I get mine from Canada as it's the "original" Armour thyroid that we can't get here any more...Canada bought the patent and it's made there (called Erfa or American Armour). I went through 3 different American companies of natural thyroid until told about the situation with fillers, 2 companies being closed down by the govt, etc. It was nasty 3 years or so ago.

Buffy....you need the "right" tests...the reason your TSH is low is because you are on medication containing T4 and that lowers TSH. But you don't have a FREE T3 test to show what you have available for energy and such.

Also, those of you testing and seeing a FT3 test in the high range need to pay attention to the fact that if it's above 3/4 of the range (once mine was over range and once it was exactly at the top), that is when it can reverse effectiveness for health and impact negatively your heart health and your bones!!!! Don't go there. I had to cut back and then felt sluggish again until my body adjusted to the smaller amount. I used to take a LOT of T3...not a good thing, but it sure was fun while I was doing it! ha ha

Sophie...you're doing great with your testing and figuring out what works best for you. I"m doing the same, but I"m not testing anything with my strips/meters for the time being.

Lindsay...your workouts remind me so much of my life when I was in my 40's. I worked out about 2-6 hours a day...hard!!!! I was feeling so good about myself, but I was doing major damage to my metabolism and endocrine system. My current personal trainer/nutritionist has told me to do NO cardio, and NO weights. For the last 3 weeks I've only been doing rehab exercises....of course I"m not young and fit like you anymore, so need to get back to basics.

By the way, did anyone see that there is a new test to determine if you are young and healthy. Simple test. I failed it miserably and hubby wouldn't even try it! You stand with your legs crossed. Hold your arms in front of you for balance. Lower yourself to sit on the ground (legs stay crossed)...don't move your arms!!!!!....and then stand back up. I couldn't even rock myself so my butt moved off the floor a fraction of an inch. I was like a beached whale!!!! What a shock!!!! So, if you want to be depressed, give it a try! ha ha I'm sure Lindsay and Kristn can do it. I know I could at their age...actually could until my 50's, but not now. This is going to be my new "marker" of my progress. Pretty scary to not be able to do it! Major wake-up call for me this morning.

OK..sorry this is so long.

Myles....the place everyone has mentioned is the BEST...but don't know if there is one near you. You'll probably have to search for a naturopath in your area from what I've heard. But they ARE around!
shelley is offline  
Old 12-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #292
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
JMCM1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,383
Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
I was just curious and tested this morning and my ketones were 0.3. So I've evidently been a naughty monkey.

I'm still not hungry and it may be a blip, but I'm also glad to see that just so I can tighten it up a little. Christmas and every party and every family gathering is happening for us starting NOW - sometimes 2 events/day. I think I can reign it in a little and still be merry.
JMCM1 is offline  
Old 12-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #293
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
It looks like there were some low ketone readings today.

Sophie--besides ketones how are you doing? I know that you were going to focus on getting your protein up and fat down. Are you feeling better?

Judy--good luck with all of your events! It's such a fun time of year, but challenging also. It sounds like you have a good plan once the holidays are over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Re: thyroid. Kristn, I'm glad your doc has you doing so well. I did well on NDT for a long time and then they changed the fillers and then it didn't work anymore. That might be a reason it didn't work for you too...wrong fillers in whatever it was that you were put on. I get mine from Canada as it's the "original" Armour thyroid that we can't get here any more...Canada bought the patent and it's made there (called Erfa or American Armour). I went through 3 different American companies of natural thyroid until told about the situation with fillers, 2 companies being closed down by the govt, etc. It was nasty 3 years or so ago.
I have thought about trying to get the Erfa, but I'm feeling so good right now I don't want to change anything, you know what I mean? Any change has meant months of trying to get things right. I even get nervous every time I get a new blood test that the doctor is going to change something and I'll feel bad again.

Quote:
Also, those of you testing and seeing a FT3 test in the high range need to pay attention to the fact that if it's above 3/4 of the range (once mine was over range and once it was exactly at the top), that is when it can reverse effectiveness for health and impact negatively your heart health and your bones!!!! Don't go there. I had to cut back and then felt sluggish again until my body adjusted to the smaller amount. I used to take a LOT of T3...not a good thing, but it sure was fun while I was doing it! ha ha
I did T3 only for reverse T3 and was on a lot of T3 and I felt terrible! It really was the worst thing I tried in this little thyroid adventure. Too much T3 is as bad as too little. I almost feel bad telling people to get their thryoid checked because I know that it's not a simple thing to get right once you go down that path. But sticking with it and getting it figured out it is so worth it!

Quote:
By the way, did anyone see that there is a new test to determine if you are young and healthy. Simple test. I failed it miserably and hubby wouldn't even try it! You stand with your legs crossed. Hold your arms in front of you for balance. Lower yourself to sit on the ground (legs stay crossed)...don't move your arms!!!!!....and then stand back up. I couldn't even rock myself so my butt moved off the floor a fraction of an inch. I was like a beached whale!!!! What a shock!!!! So, if you want to be depressed, give it a try! ha ha I'm sure Lindsay and Kristn can do it. I know I could at their age...actually could until my 50's, but not now. This is going to be my new "marker" of my progress. Pretty scary to not be able to do it! Major wake-up call for me this morning.
My kettlebell trainer posted this test on her Facebook yesterday and DH and I tried it. You're right, it wasn't difficult for either of us. DH and I really have an eye towards the future with both our eating and training. We want to stay fit and healthy as we grow older.
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 12-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #294
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 867
Gallery: shelley
Answering....hope I can quote/cut/paste.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
>>I have thought about trying to get the Erfa, but I'm feeling so good right now I don't want to change anything, you know what I mean? Any change has meant months of trying to get things right. I even get nervous every time I get a new blood test that the doctor is going to change something and I'll feel bad again. >>

I agree with you 100%. Glad you are in such a good place. I wouldn't try anything either if I was you!!!!

>>I did T3 only for reverse T3 and was on a lot of T3 and I felt terrible! It really was the worst thing I tried in this little thyroid adventure. Too much T3 is as bad as too little. I almost feel bad telling people to get their thryoid checked because I know that it's not a simple thing to get right once you go down that path. But sticking with it and getting it figured out it is so worth it!>>

This is an excellent place to show how different people are. I had horrible RT3 percentages and went on T3 only. I won't say how much I ended up taking before things turned around, but it was about 1000% more than I'm taking now that I'm optimized. In my case, the more I took the better I felt. Go figure! That's why it's so important to find someone to work WITH you that is knowledgeable.

>>My kettlebell trainer posted this test on her Facebook yesterday and DH and I tried it. You're right, it wasn't difficult for either of us. DH and I really have an eye towards the future with both our eating and training. We want to stay fit and healthy as we grow older.>>

I love this! I'm so proud of you and your hubby that you could both do it. Watch out...I'm going to make sure I can within a reasonable amount of time....that's my new goal! That and doing ONE man's pushup!!! I have never achieved that one, but my trainer said she's determined to get it for me.
shelley is offline  
Old 12-20-2012, 05:11 AM   #295
Senior LCF Member
 
sasonnier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 247
Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Congrats on the loss Buffy!!

Ketones this a.m. at 0.8- yay!

Kristn- I do feel better by upping my protein and lowering my fat- go figure, i guess I'm one that needs more protein. Something else I have noticed is my endurance drop. I take hot yoga and up until october, I was doing really well with it- felt stronger than ever (big boy push-ups and all- ok well a couple at least), then i took time off (hurricane/traveling, etc) and it was about 1 month (which I have done in the past). When I went back to hot yoga- I feel weaker than ever- worse than before I started a year ago! Like I said, I have taken a month off before and didn't lose much strength if any at all- but this time was and is really hard to get back to where I was. I dont know if its the woe or not, but i can't think of any other reason to attribute it to. Could it be the lower protein caused some LBM loss and that caused me to be weaker? I don't know if it makes sense- maybe it was just a longer break than before and really set me back- who know's

Anyways- I'm feeling a bit optimistic w/this thyroid thingy...I am meeting with a new D.O. next week (friday)

How come I always associated poor thyroid function w/poor weight loss- is there a connection at all? or am i confused...
sasonnier is offline  
Old 12-20-2012, 06:07 AM   #296
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
Ketones this a.m. at 0.8- yay!


Quote:
Kristn- I do feel better by upping my protein and lowering my fat- go figure, i guess I'm one that needs more protein. Something else I have noticed is my endurance drop. I take hot yoga and up until october, I was doing really well with it- felt stronger than ever (big boy push-ups and all- ok well a couple at least), then i took time off (hurricane/traveling, etc) and it was about 1 month (which I have done in the past). When I went back to hot yoga- I feel weaker than ever- worse than before I started a year ago! Like I said, I have taken a month off before and didn't lose much strength if any at all- but this time was and is really hard to get back to where I was. I dont know if its the woe or not, but i can't think of any other reason to attribute it to. Could it be the lower protein caused some LBM loss and that caused me to be weaker? I don't know if it makes sense- maybe it was just a longer break than before and really set me back- who know's
What gram level of protein are you eating now? What were you eating before? It's hard to say about the strength when you take time off. Just taking time off can cause you to lose LBM, and there are so many other factors. I'm glad that you're feeling better and getting your macros in a good place for you. Have you seen any movement on the scale?

Quote:
Anyways- I'm feeling a bit optimistic w/this thyroid thingy...I am meeting with a new D.O. next week (friday)

How come I always associated poor thyroid function w/poor weight loss- is there a connection at all? or am i confused...
There is a connection, some people cannot lose no matter what they do if their thyroid is off. But getting it optimized doesn't automatically mean you'll lose weight, you still have to do the work. I think that some people think that if you just take thyroid hormones you will lose weight without having to do anything else. It still takes work, but the getting the thyroid right makes it possible instead of impossible. And you will feel much better!
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 12-20-2012, 06:15 AM   #297
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Answering....hope I can quote/cut/paste.....

This is an excellent place to show how different people are. I had horrible RT3 percentages and went on T3 only. I won't say how much I ended up taking before things turned around, but it was about 1000% more than I'm taking now that I'm optimized. In my case, the more I took the better I felt. Go figure! That's why it's so important to find someone to work WITH you that is knowledgeable.
Exactly! We are all different and it takes time and a good practitioner to help figure it all out.

Quote:
I love this! I'm so proud of you and your hubby that you could both do it. Watch out...I'm going to make sure I can within a reasonable amount of time....that's my new goal! That and doing ONE man's pushup!!! I have never achieved that one, but my trainer said she's determined to get it for me.
That's a great goal!! My goal is pull-ups. I've only ever done one chin-up and that was years ago.

A tip for people who are trying to tease out bits of quotes. If you go to the preview post screen the quotes are contained within these two tags (without the spaces) [ quote ] and [ /quote ]. You can add the tags to break apart quotes or even add your own if that makes sense.
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 12-20-2012, 06:20 AM   #298
Senior LCF Member
 
UnstrungHarp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 159
Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Wow...lots of good posts this morning.


Lindsay...your workouts remind me so much of my life when I was in my 40's. I worked out about 2-6 hours a day...hard!!!! I was feeling so good about myself, but I was doing major damage to my metabolism and endocrine system. My current personal trainer/nutritionist has told me to do NO cardio, and NO weights. For the last 3 weeks I've only been doing rehab exercises....of course I"m not young and fit like you anymore, so need to get back to basics.

By the way, did anyone see that there is a new test to determine if you are young and healthy. Simple test. I failed it miserably and hubby wouldn't even try it! You stand with your legs crossed. Hold your arms in front of you for balance. Lower yourself to sit on the ground (legs stay crossed)...don't move your arms!!!!!....and then stand back up.
2 to 6 hours a day!!! Wow... I have never done anything that approaches that, except for possibly when I went through a phase of working out in the morning and evening (might have been 2 total hours). Isn't it a shame that being so dedicated, going "above and beyond," really did more harm than good? That's what's so hard to get through my thick skull.

Sometimes I don't feel so fit - I've been trying to do one unassisted pull up for ages now and still can't do it. I can do "man" push ups but not very many (10? 12?) before dropping to my knees. Also, some of those 10 or 12 may not count because I might cheat on the depth a little. I know I'm stronger than I used to be several years ago but haven't seen much improvement in those areas (pull ups, push ups). I've seen much more noticeable gains in aerobic endurance over the years, and my resting heart rate is way below average. It's a weird source of pride for me when I go to my clinical trial checkups and the nurse makes a funny comment on how low my heart rate is ("are you still alive?" and all that).

I am very afraid to try that fitness test you describe. When I imagine myself doing it, my arms immediately go to the floor to assist the standing up part. I just don't want to know!!
UnstrungHarp is offline  
Old 12-20-2012, 07:03 AM   #299
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 9,087
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Morning everyone!

You young uns are just wearing me out with your exercise But, I am proud of all of you and you are doing what all of us should be, to some extent at least. My goal is to just get back to walking several days a week, I need to do that for so many reasons.

My ketone reading this morning sure told on me. 0.2. The last thing I ate yesterday was 3 small pieces of some kind of brittle that DH brought home, a friend had given him several pieces and although I have been able to turn down most candy during the holidays, this was so good that I had the 2nd and 3rd piece. I think it had honey in it, not sure but that was the only carby thing I had eaten yesterday. My dinner included both meatloaf and cottage cheese and both were higher in carbs than just a plain meat.

Even though, I had yet another drop in weight of another lb, new low this AM of 186.4. I am blown away by my weight loss this month and can't believe what I am seeing. Not sure what or why it is happening but maybe since I only lost 1 1/2 lbs in Nov. it was just time for my body to release. Have set my new goal to be 185 by New Years.

Sophie, glad your body is liking the higher protein and lower fat and hope you aren't hungry, like Kristn says, we all have to tweak to get it working just right for us.
Buffy45 is offline  
Old 12-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #300
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
JMCM1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,383
Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Morning everyone!

You young uns are just wearing me out with your exercise But, I am proud of all of you and you are doing what all of us should be, to some extent at least. My goal is to just get back to walking several days a week, I need to do that for so many reasons.

My ketone reading this morning sure told on me. 0.2. The last thing I ate yesterday was 3 small pieces of some kind of brittle that DH brought home, a friend had given him several pieces and although I have been able to turn down most candy during the holidays, this was so good that I had the 2nd and 3rd piece. I think it had honey in it, not sure but that was the only carby thing I had eaten yesterday. My dinner included both meatloaf and cottage cheese and both were higher in carbs than just a plain meat.

Even though, I had yet another drop in weight of another lb, new low this AM of 186.4. I am blown away by my weight loss this month and can't believe what I am seeing. Not sure what or why it is happening but maybe since I only lost 1 1/2 lbs in Nov. it was just time for my body to release. Have set my new goal to be 185 by New Years.

Sophie, glad your body is liking the higher protein and lower fat and hope you aren't hungry, like Kristn says, we all have to tweak to get it working just right for us.
My choir party last night and my 0.3 ketone level yesterday persuaded me to skip todays' reading.

I am with you Buffy, I will be happy to walk and after all the multiple Christmas gatherings I will be happy to start the Slow Burn workouts.
I'm ready.

Right after the Christmas parties.

I'm really happy to have so many gatherings, but the one at our house tomorrow is making me step pretty lively.

for your weight loss no matter what you do and no matter what you eat!! Marvel!!



So happy day to all you youngsters who make me feel hopeful for my slightly older self.

Last edited by JMCM1; 12-20-2012 at 08:11 AM..
JMCM1 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:58 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.