Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wildflower
Stats: SW180/CW180/GL145
WOE: NK
Start Date: Dec 2013
Thanks Kristn..they do have a weight room but I wouldn't know what to do. Can't afford a trainer so maybe I'll spend a bit of time watching.

Gonna look at the schedule to see if I can get a kettlebell class-- I thought it was kettleballs. Duh!
wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2012, 05:34 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Doing better on my resistance workout! Went to the Y yesterday and did the treadmill, the rowing machine and super workout on the weight machines. I love the rowing machine -- it works every muscle -- I can sure feel it this morning.

Kristn, didn't do the weight room but did take a peek -- just major muscle guys!!!

Off to do my deep water exercise this morning. Lots of resistance in it too. The last two times I did this class, I got horrible calf cramp. It's been suggested to take magnesium before I go, so will try that this morning. The instructor says eat bananas, but no, no---need to find another source of potassium.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:22 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower View Post
Doing better on my resistance workout! Went to the Y yesterday and did the treadmill, the rowing machine and super workout on the weight machines. I love the rowing machine -- it works every muscle -- I can sure feel it this morning.

Kristn, didn't do the weight room but did take a peek -- just major muscle guys!!!

Off to do my deep water exercise this morning. Lots of resistance in it too. The last two times I did this class, I got horrible calf cramp. It's been suggested to take magnesium before I go, so will try that this morning. The instructor says eat bananas, but no, no---need to find another source of potassium.
! Great job on stepping up your workout.

Avocado is a great source of potassium. But now I just take supplements because I don't get enough. Apparently potassium supplements are a bit controversial and you should definitely go slowly/easily on them. I started with one (they are all 99mg) and worked up slowly to the point where I stopped getting cramps.
mom2zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
! Great job on stepping up your workout.

Avocado is a great source of potassium. But now I just take supplements because I don't get enough. Apparently potassium supplements are a bit controversial and you should definitely go slowly/easily on them. I started with one (they are all 99mg) and worked up slowly to the point where I stopped getting cramps.
Hi-- my aqua class today was hard -- the instructors said it was to hold us over till after New Years (last class this session). Or maybe it was because my body was sore from yesterday. Either way, it was great. Will be going back to Y tomorrow -- I feel so good. I sent for a free meter to check my ketones. I haven't lost weight, but I haven't gained either. My strips are med pink. Note: I didn't get cramps today!!!

I need to check with my dr to see if I can take potassium with my heart issues and current meds. Avocados are so good, but, at least in my neck of the woods, they are soooo expensive. $2.00 each and they aren't real big. Is that expensive elsewhere?

Last edited by wildflower; 12-12-2012 at 11:40 AM..
Old 12-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower View Post
Hi-- my aqua class today was hard -- the instructors said it was to hold us over till after New Years (last class this session). Or maybe it was because my body was sore from yesterday. Either way, it was great. Will be going back to Y tomorrow -- I feel so good. I sent for a free meter to check my ketones. I haven't lost weight, but I haven't gained either. My strips are med pink. Note: I didn't get cramps today!!!

I need to check with my dr to see if I can take potassium with my heart issues and current meds. Avocados are so good, but, at least in my neck of the woods, they are soooo expensive. $2.00 each and they aren't real big. Is that expensive elsewhere?
I know that potassium can be problematic, good idea to check with your doctor. Avocados are expensive here too. I usually pay 1.50 to 2.00, but they're good sized. I grew up in SoCal and we were gathering them from our friends' trees. I miss that!

Getting the meter will be helpful to see if you're in ketosis. Sadly, ketosis doesn't necessarily mean that you'll lose weight. You'll have to find the right level of caloric intake for you once you're firmly in ketosis. This seems to be highly variable by individual. It seems the only way to know if you've got it right is if you see movement on the scale.

Have you seen this thread on testing with the meter: Testing Blood Ketones? Post your results here!?
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 12-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Getting the meter will be helpful to see if you're in ketosis. Sadly, ketosis doesn't necessarily mean that you'll lose weight. You'll have to find the right level of caloric intake for you once you're firmly in ketosis. This seems to be highly variable by individual. It seems the only way to know if you've got it right is if you see movement on the scale.

Have you seen this thread on testing with the meter: Testing Blood Ketones? Post your results here!?
I have been to the thread and can't wait till I get my meter.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Ack! Forced deload week as the kettlebell studio will be closed between Christmas Eve and New Year's Day. DH is much happier about it than I am.

We have decided to start working out with a kettlebell video for our third weekly workout after the new year. Our goal is to test into a higher class level at the studio and we will need to work pretty hard to get there.

Anyone else thinking about New Year's training goals?
Old 12-29-2012, 08:01 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bobbin
WOE: High fat, moderate protein, low carb
I've got mine all planned out, and even shared my calendar with my work out buddy. Every week I've got 2 power yoga classes (lots of core, arms, shoulders and glutes), a pilates class (abs, glutes and legs), a power lift class, then a couple of restorative yoga classes thrown in to help stretch out those muscles. I really enjoy the class setting better than just doing the circuits, it helps to clear my mind better. I am not a fan of cardio, I love training this way! It's amazing how having a little bit of fat (in the form of 2 oz walnut butter or pecan butter) can fuel my work out. Even if I start hungry, I eat the butter, then I can go for the full hour or 2 I have planned that day with no problem.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:11 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Glad to have come accross this thread.
I'm 63 years old. Have been going to the gym for about six months. I started LC in September so had a couple of months of weight training in before went into ketosis.
I don't use any of the meters or bmi devices that others speak of. I know I'm in ketosis.
I honestly don't believe that the weight training has helped me lose weight other than as I see the changes in my body it encourages me to continue.
I'm seeing muscle development in my arms, shoulders, and chest. I actually see the tops of my rib cage, something that I haven't seen in alot of years.
My back hasn't given out on me, knee pain is minimal or gone altogether.
I'm looking better in everything I wear, and feel stronger and healthier than I have in a long, long time.
thanks for starting this thread.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:19 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbin View Post
I've got mine all planned out, and even shared my calendar with my work out buddy. Every week I've got 2 power yoga classes (lots of core, arms, shoulders and glutes), a pilates class (abs, glutes and legs), a power lift class, then a couple of restorative yoga classes thrown in to help stretch out those muscles. I really enjoy the class setting better than just doing the circuits, it helps to clear my mind better. I am not a fan of cardio, I love training this way! It's amazing how having a little bit of fat (in the form of 2 oz walnut butter or pecan butter) can fuel my work out. Even if I start hungry, I eat the butter, then I can go for the full hour or 2 I have planned that day with no problem.
Sounds like a great plan for the New Year!

Not a fan of cardio here either, I did it for years with mediocre results. Now that I don't "do cardio" I'm in much better shape than ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
I honestly don't believe that the weight training has helped me lose weight other than as I see the changes in my body it encourages me to continue.
I'm seeing muscle development in my arms, shoulders, and chest. I actually see the tops of my rib cage, something that I haven't seen in alot of years.
My back hasn't given out on me, knee pain is minimal or gone altogether.
I'm looking better in everything I wear, and feel stronger and healthier than I have in a long, long time.
thanks for starting this thread.

This is my experience too. I want to see the results from my hard work so I am encouraged to keep eating well.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:34 AM   #41
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TheMaster
Stats: 183, need to be 178 for my weight class!!!
WOE: VLCKD Ketogenic son!
Start Date: June 2011
Sharing some personal notes

I like to work out fasted in ketosis. In the morning, an hour before the gym, I have a cup of black coffee. I'll also have a cup of chicken or beef bone broth and a tbsp of sea salt mixed in it. Some creatine along with it as well. I'm very awake and energetic. Directly after the gym I load up on a lot of protein and fat via beef, chicken or lamb.

I follow a slow burn type workout. Similar to the material by Doug Mcguff, Fred Hahn and Drew Baye. Of my years of experimenting. This has given me my best results.

Good luck everyone and happy new year!
TheMaster is offline   Reply With Quote