Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
NK Success?

With the giant monthly threads it's a little hard to track how people are doing on NK and whether this new WOE is actually working or not.

I am starting this thread for people to post what and how they are doing with NK.

Some suggestions for what to post:

When did you start NK
Your starting weight/current weight/goal weight
Or just how much you'd like to lose
How much you've lost so far on NK (or not)
Your daily protein, carb, and fat gram goals
Why you started, how things are going, tweaks that have helped, etc.
Anything else that might be useful for us to learn from your NK experience!
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
mom2zeke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
I think this will be a great site.
portcop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Marking my spot, will bbl to fill in my info. Good idea Kristn, like you, I have a hard time keeping up with everyone on their particular stats. That is why I post some of mine in my siggy.
Buffy45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Starting with you Kristn :-) ???
sasonnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
Starting with you Kristn :-) ???
I feel like my story has been overplayed. I was hoping to get some responses from other people before I posted.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tablis
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/29/2012
subbing
tablis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Subbing - can't get enough of this!
JMCM1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Hi all....I have been lurking for weeks, but figured that I'll report in since I'm an exception to the rule here. I have been active in Sept/Oct and part of Nov., but dropped back and just read what you are all saying/doing as I have not been successful at all. I started in late August and got the meters and about 80 strips in that time. I have had Reddarrin look at my fitdays to see what is "wrong" and he said nothing. He tried to help me tweak so that I could lose and get into deeper ketosis (usually .5 to .8). Thank you Major Red!!!

I started at 157.2# in late August and dropped to 155.0, in the first few weeks, and then it all changed, and now am 160.0. Going the wrong way. Consistently. To say I'm frustrated is an understatement. I am delighted for all of you that find this works. Atkins induction didn't work for me either. Years of strict induction. I gained weight on Weight Watchers and South Beach (too high of carbs I assumed). The only time I was able to lose was working out heavily at the gym with weights and HIIT and hard Pilates mat classes (6 days a week) and eating nonfat and pretty low calorie. I felt ill. I had horrible endocrine issues from the lack of fat in my body. I had to stop...went back to Atkins '72 induction and never could climb any rungs on the ladder without gains. I slowly gained back the 20# I lost on nonfat and exercising my 64 yr old body to the max.

So....in case others are "lurking" and wondering why it's not working for them the way it seems to be working for "everyone else"......there are people like me where no matter what I do, how perfect I eat, etc., the only way I got into ketosis was Atkins fat fasts...but could not deal with that for more than 3 days. I need a WOE that lasts longer than 3 days to get any results that are a loss and not a gain.

Sorry I'm such a downer...this is why I don't post anymore. But I am still trying, and reading all the posts on both the 80/15/5 and NK threads.

I'm really happy for those of you who are having success!!!!! I really am. But I am one where none of this is working......
Old 11-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/175/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK my way
Start Date: Feb 2012
Hi I am posting here after a long time. I lost around 46 pounds after delivery by following LC,then stalled at 193 pounds.for the past 3-4 months i keep gaining and losing the same 5-7 pounds.Its so demotivating
I have the NK books and has been reading here and Jimmy Moore's posts.I tried several attempts at NK and I am still stalling.Part of my problem is that I have a baby and other little kids and too much is going on in my life right now,I just don't want/like the idea of calorie counting and logging and calculate everything.Its too much stress for me.
The other thing is some foods in NK which some of u have no problem are stallers for me.One is HWC.As soon as I stopped HWC I dropped 2 lbs.
There are others that I have my doubts as well ,like cheeses and avocadoes.
According to my height my protein reqt came in at 60-75,but I suspect even that is too much or I maybe very insulin resistant.

So there is a lot of tweaking ahead of me,but I will be trying,since Induction has stopped working for me.I still need to lose another 46 lbs.

I have decided to start with fat fast since that is very low in protein and if I am successful,then slowly increase my protein litlle by little.I am waiting for Dana's 50 fat fast recipes to come out.Now I am not sure if I should wait until the holidays are over and start fresh in january or start now.Its not fun seeing the same weight go up and down,but I also don't want to be off plan in December.
So these are just my struggles,and I will be checking here often.
Congrats on the new forum.
mini goal : 175 reached
mega goal : 170 : Combined weights of 3 pregnancies will be gone forever
mega goal : 150 :
mega goal : tone allover,close and repair my diastasis and hernia
Push yourself. Because no one else is going to do it for you.
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:37 AM   #11
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I believe this plan is working for me but it has taken a long time to get any results. I started in June. Had a steep learning curve in terms of the protein in my foods. Got it sorted out after a few months.

To have any positive results for me is pretty notable as I have been stalled for 2 yrs.(on vlc). I do not use a ketone meter but only judge by the food and amounts.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

I am reposting most of this from another thread. I've posted my success story all over these NK threads and I'm really hoping to hear from other people! I encourage everyone else to share details about whatís working (or not working) for them! We are all different, but our experiences can help others find their weight-loss path.

49 y.o. hypothyroid peri-menopausal female. I started out weighing 257 in 2001 and lost 90 pounds by the end of 2002 with Atkins. I then got stuck for 9.5 years. Over the years Iíve tried cutting calories and fat, exercising obsessively with HIIT and heavy lifting, Paleo/Primal, Leptin Reset, etc. I have managed to stay LC and not let my weight get any higher than 175, but I was never able to get below 162 and even then could not maintain that weight.

In May 2011 I was finally diagnosed hypothyroid and started going to doctors to see if that was getting in my way of losing. In March of 2012 I finally saw a doctor who correctly tested all of my hormones and helped me find a good endo to get on the right combo of Thyroid hormones. In March I was 175 pounds. At the beginning of June I was 170, feeling much better, starting kettlebell classes and heard about nutritional ketosis. I sent away for my free meter and got started lowering my protein. By the beginning of July when I started the NK thread on LCF I was 160 lb, got my meter and was testing in the 2.0 range in the mornings.

My personal strategy following the advice in The Art and Science of LC Performance was to figure out a good protein number based on my height, goal weight, and goal body fat percentage (I started out pretty low 50-60 grams I think--I eventually tried to keep it below 70 while losing), keep total carbs below 25 grams, and eat the rest of my calories in fat up to ~1200-1500 calories total. I tracked everything that I put in my mouth.
My typical day at that time was:
B: 2 eggs scrambled in coconut oil (I used refined, donít like coconut flavored eggs), 1 ounce each of salsa and sour cream, ľ c. of coconut cream in 2 cups of coffee
L: 2 ounces cream cheese w/ 1 fat bomb (coconut oil, cocoa powder, splenda, and mac nut butter)
S: 2 cups of coffee w/ ľ c coconut cream
D: 3-5 ounces of protein (depending on fattiness/protein gram content), and one giant salad w/ olive oil & vinegar dressing

I lost in fits and starts, staying the same weight (even gaining a few pounds) for 1-2 weeks and then dropping 4 pounds over a few days. This pattern repeated until I got to goal.

Following this strategy I got to my goal weight of 150 pounds on August 27th. Not long after that I had my BF measured and it was 26%. My new goal is 20% BF using NK. Using an online calculator and my measurements my BF seems to be 23% right now. Iím not sure how much I trust that so Iím getting dunked on 12/1 to get a more definitive number. I do continue to very slowly lose inches which is encouraging.

For maintenance I slowly increased both my fat and protein and it seems to be working quite well to maintain my weight, but I've definitely seen a reduction in ketones. I now try for 70-90 grams of protein, less than 30 grams of carbs, and the rest fat. My total calories usually fall in the 2000 to 2300 range and I am maintaining okay (as of this morning I am 150.4). My a.m. ketones now hover in the .5-1 range but quite often I am dipping below .5. If I go any higher on the protein and carbs I see lower ketones so if Iím extra hungry I try to eat fat.

I really feel that some of the strategies that have helped me to succeed on this WOE are:
  • Limit protein (as a long-term low-carber I think my body is expert at gluconeogenesis--I have to watch protein like a hawk and keep it relatively low)
  • Work out smartly, not excessively
  • Eat simply (I don't do well eating yummy LC recipes, they seem to stimulate my appetite and encourage me to overeat)
  • Limit calories (I am someone who could keep eating up to a pretty high amount. Setting a limit has worked for me)
  • Little/no snacking
Old 11-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Shelley & Cathy--thank you so much for sharing your NK experiences!

I wonder if you would be willing to share more details about what's working or not working? Starting height/weight, daily macronutrient goals, etc.?

If not, no worries.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:33 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Good luck lowcarbella! I am similar to you in that I was stuck and had given up dairy. With this new WOE I have added it back in and made it to goal.

You might get more support and information in one of the November NK threads listed here.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:15 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Kristn, I am trying to get a feel for whether it is important to split the daily carbs/protein up equally throughout the day. Today I ate 12 carbs and 22 protein for breakfast. I would then plan to eat 0 carbs 22 protein for lunch and repeat the breakfast concentrations. Of course with fat at each meal. Would that many carbs/protein together at one meal be too much?
Old 11-28-2012, 09:22 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
About 1 year ago I was somewhere around 215 lbs and started having some intermittant chest pain. I was pretty sure it was indigestion, but after a week or so of it at one point along with the general malaise I was feeling at the time I wanted to make sure I did not have pneumonia. In the previous decade I had only gone to a doctor when I twice had a kidney stone. So I had no doctor. Thought I would just go to one of those urgent care places, to get the Xray to rule out pneumonia.

Whether a good thing or not, our current medical system cannot see a 49 year old male with chest pain of any kind and not insist that they head straight for the ER. So no Xray, I was sent to an ER. There I learned the meaning of "serious as a heart attack". Fortunately it was from the vantage point of someone who was not having a heart attack. But anyway... first there is no wait in an ER when you are 40+ and complain of discomfort in your chest. They do not ask for insurance. You are taken in a wheel chair to an exam room and immediately hooked up to an EKG. A quick history is taken and blood drawn.

In my case they told me that their most sensitive test for a heart attack -- troponin C was negative. No, they would not give me a chest Xray, they only cared to rule out heart attack.

A doctor friend of my wife's characterized the current practice as "You could walk into an ER with an arrow in your back and they would insist on checking your troponin C levels" to rule out heart attack.

Anyway, I did end up getting a doctor. I told her I wanted to lose some weight and asked if she thought it was okay for me to increase my exercise intensity. She was still concerned about the chest pain and said no. If I wanted to lose some weight I should decrease the amount of carbs in my diet. (Then she listed foods with carbs in them. So I think this is her normal methodology for people who want to lose weight.)

Anyway, as someone who had previously struggled with weight-loss, low carb was a revelation. I did almost nothing other than stop eating all carbohydrate dense food. Bread, rice, corn chips, etc. I don't have a sweet tooth, so there were no cravings.

I ordered one of those "Withing" scales. But it took more than a month to come. I was already below 195 by the time it arrived. Within a month I had shed another 10 pounds.

Again, basically doing nothing. Previously I had used strict caloric restriction in addition to >600 Cal/day exercise to move the needle downward. That may work when you are in your 30's or early 40's. But I thought my chances of pulling that off without an injury that would end the program was very low. But eating low carb was easy. The pounds melted off.

Anyway, I stalled out around 180 for 5 weeks. Not that big of a deal. I had a soft goal of 180, because I remembered it as a weight where I felt comfortable. But I could tell that my doctor was eyeing my lipid panel with an intent to start statins. Also I had already been put on lisinopril -- largely due to "white coat syndrome" I think. But I may well have been pre-hypertensive at that point. Anyway, I had heard of very low carb (NK) as a way to reverse metabolic syndrome from Steve Gibson of 'Security Now' fame. Low carb was easy for me, why not try NK?

I came for the health benefits, but I think I'll stay for the lower respiratory quotient (RQ). Do the same amount of exercise, but use only 70% of the oxygen? That is like a super power. Why would I give that up?

Meanwhile I kind of stumbled into a powerlifting program called "Stronglifts 5x5". So now I am doing powerlifting 3 times a week, instead of my normal aerobic exercise program.

For me, the success is with the RQ. I think it will have improved my lipid panel next time I have it checked, and I think it caused me to back away from incipient metabolic syndrome. Also, I lost another 5 lbs while in NK. But I don't think I'll go any lower. Instead I will be increasing my muscle mass while burning away a little more fat.

Oh, also, the ability to skip lunch without the least discomfort is worth something. Also the smooth energy that lasts all day should not be discounted.

The real test is how I am doing at a year (next spring) and then 2 years, I think. So I guess we will see...

--
Phillip
NKSL55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sutton_02
Stats: 5'8" - Currently 172lbs / Goal of 150lbs
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbella View Post
Now I am not sure if I should wait until the holidays are over and start fresh in january or start now.
I say there is no time like the present! Sure, there may be setbacks around Christmas and the New Year, but you could still make some progress in the meantime.
sutton_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Shelley & Cathy--thank you so much for sharing your NK experiences!

I wonder if you would be willing to share more details about what's working or not working? Starting height/weight, daily macronutrient goals, etc.?

If not, no worries.
Hi Kristn,

I started with you back in September when you began the NK thread and Rebecca Latham helped me with my macros back then. I found that I needed higher protein as my lean body mass weight was decreasing, and my bodyfat weight was going up up up! I never found my "sweet spot".

I did basically about 78-83% fat, 4% carb and 15-17% protein. I changed my calories after a couple weeks....started at 1600 and that didn't work. Went down to 1200 and that didn't work. Started doing 83% fat more consistently and 3-4% carbs and sticking with my protein around 15%. I got into ketosis doing 90-93% fat (fat fasts), but can't stay on them more than 3 days.

I have to say that I "FEEL" good and healthy! I weigh and measure myself every Sunday morning. I go up and down and up and down in inches and on the scale. Bodyfat seems pretty consistent at going UP. The cellulite on my legs is getting much worse. It would be fine if there was a downward trend, but my graphs have the trend going up in weight and inches everywhere.

I went back to the gym to do weights 3 days a week (Mon/Fri upper body and Wed. lower body). I stopped doing all cardio and classes months ago at the advice I see on the forum as well as a good friend who is "in the know".

Most days I would not even have a small salad or any veggies with meals. Very very low carb. If I added in 1/2 cup of green beans, my fasting B/G would go up and so would the scale, so I am pretty much protein and fat. I am not giving up as I figure that it is known to take some 6 months or so. My history is that of being nearly anorexic and exercising like a fiend (former ballet/jazz dancer and teacher)! 6 days a week of heavy duty cardio, HIIT, you name it along with the weights. I realize after reading more books and "listening" to what others say, that the weights are the way to go, so I'm sticking with that.

I'm 5- 5-3/4" tall. I'm 64 and obviously female. Stopped BHRT about 18 months ago, and do take Armour thyroid (tiny dose is all I need). My weight when starting this was 157.2 and now I am 160.0. Not a big gain, but it's a gain none the less. My goal is still 130# and 25% bodyfat. I'm small boned (6" wrist). I cannot understand why I am not losing weight and/or inches. As many have said, "I'm doing everything right"! But I continue on. I"m 3 months into this and will keep on plugging away. I am not testing anything and I am no longer logging my foods (stopped last week out of total frustration).

I plan to give myself a week off logging and testing and will start back on Sunday with my weigh/measure day. I'm sticking with the eating, but just not the recording for the moment.

Most people are having success, and I'm not so that's why I have stopped posting. But maybe there are lurkers in my "pickle" and the only reason I'm posting is to let them know that they aren't alone. And yes, I'm doing everything correctly!
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #19
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Thank you Shelley for your candor with your personal situation. All of us who have struggled for any length of time know what frustration can come our way.

I am not ready to discuss the particulars of my current progress as it is still tenuous. I can say that I am feeling that things are improving.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Shelley--thank you so much for posting the details of what's been going on with you.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post

I am not ready to discuss the particulars of my current progress as it is still tenuous. I can say that I am feeling that things are improving.
Totally understandable--no pressure. But if you ever feel ready to share I'm sure that it would be helpful for others who are in a similar situation.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I started doing NK in July or August, but I've been doing it with successful weight loss since early September. I lost only 1 pound per month in July and August. In September, I lost 7 pounds, and then lost nothing for 3 weeks in October. On October 25, I started doing NK in combination with JUDDD, and lost 9 pounds in 4.5 weeks.

I suppose one takeaway message from my experience is that it may take a while--at least a couple of months--for weight loss to kick in on NK, if one's body has to learn to burn fat rather than glucose. (I had been doing lowcarb and limiting calories since January, but my weightloss on that was very slow, presumably because my protein level was too high.) Another takeaway message is that some of us may have to combine multiple approaches--such as JUDDD and NK--to be successful. On my JUDDD up days, I follow NK with about 80 percent of my calories from fat; on my JUDDD down days, I eat mostly lean protein but don't go above my NK protein limit. I hope this is helpful.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:13 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I started doing NK in July or August, but I've been doing it with successful weight loss since early September. I lost only 1 pound per month in July and August. In September, I lost 7 pounds, and then lost nothing for 3 weeks in October. On October 25, I started doing NK in combination with JUDDD, and lost 9 pounds in 4.5 weeks.

I suppose one takeaway message from my experience is that it may take a while--at least a couple of months--for weight loss to kick in on NK, if one's body has to learn to burn fat rather than glucose. (I had been doing lowcarb and limiting calories since January, but my weightloss on that was very slow, presumably because my protein level was too high.) Another takeaway message is that some of us may have to combine multiple approaches--such as JUDDD and NK--to be successful. On my JUDDD up days, I follow NK with about 80 percent of my calories from fat; on my JUDDD down days, I eat mostly lean protein but don't go above my NK protein limit. I hope this is helpful.
Nice to see another JUDDDer. Thanks for posting your combination results. I am hoping to get my appetite down and ketones working and maybe get back on rotations. I still start my day with BPC just to see if a DD will happen naturally but so far the body wants to eat...every day. My guess is there is still a lot of internal work to do before I learn to burn fat.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:05 AM   #24
Big Yapper!!!!

I started NK Sept. 3rd of this year. I am diabetic and on meds for that. With the meds, I found I could eat however I liked, I lost an initial 34 lbs just from the meds and was happily strolling along, eating like a pig, carbing out. But, deep down, I knew that was not a good WOE for my diabetic, high BP self. then, over this past 12 months, I started getting UTI's often, I would get one, go on antibiotics, then have to take something for yeast infection, then get another UTI, on and on. My doctor recommended I see a urologist to rule out any problems and at the same time, I begin thinking that I really should return to LC for my health. And, I know that sugar intake contributes to yeast and UTI's. So, when I saw the Urologist, I discussed this with him and he thought it was a good idea. So, I came back to LCF's and started reading. I had done LC for several years but always stalled after about 10 lbs. After reading Kristn's NK thread, then more on the internet, I thought that maybe too high of protein at that time, plus too many calories probably was the reason I had not lost any more weight.

The more I read about NK and insulin resistance/diabetes, I also realized that during that time, even though I hadn't been diagnoised with diabetes, my BS's were probably spiking enough to keep me from losing. Now, armed with my diabetes meds I was ready to give it a try.

I started by cutting back on the carbs, knew how to do that, kept reading and trying to figure out my formula for the amount of protein and fat/calories to lose. Lost 8 lbs the first week, WOW, that was a good start and got me very excited. Then I ran onto the thread of HF started by Reddarin. He was an immense help in helping me figure out my macros, he even has a spreadsheet he has developed. I took his advice on the amount of protein, tried to keep my carbs under 20 but no more than 30 but, his advice on calories scared the heck out of me. His program showed me that I could eat 2045 as a minimum to 2386 as a maximum. I questioned him, are you sure this is for weight loss, or to maintain. He said it was to maintain at my goal weight of 150 so should work for weight loss. I was still afraid but did bump my calories up to 1500 or so, it was sooo hard for me to keep them 1200-1400, get my fats up and be satisfied. I wasn't quite as full as I would like to be.

I did this and continued to slowly lose. I went through all the aches and pains of re-started LC. I had the induction flu, I had terrible headaches, my back ached a lot, I didn't feel good and didn't sleep well. Had terrible cramps in my feet and legs. This went on for about 6 weeks or more, gradually decreasing as time went on. I added magnesium. I was already taking potassium and my doctor decreased the diuretic part of one of my BP pills, still the cramps continued. I used mustard and vinegar to help with them. Bought some over the counter potassium without checking with my doctor. Whoops, that was a mistake, for almost a week I could hardly drag myself around, I was so tired. Looked back to what I had recently changed, and dropped the extra potassium, that was the culprit.

Then, things all aligned for me! Did I have a sudden whoosh and lose 10 more lbs? Nope, but I started feeling WELL. It all settled in and was just "easy" to eat this way. I had logged everything I ate for well over 2 months so I had a really good idea of what and how much of what I should eat so eased up on the logging, not a great idea but I was kind of burnt out on it. I felt like I could do that if I continued my slow downward weight loss trend, if not, then back to logging.

During that period that I was logging, I decided to throw caution to the wind one week and eat the calories that Reddarin had figured for me. Each morning I gingerly stepped on the scale expecting to see a 3-5 lb gain. Nope, each morning was right about the same, or a teeny loss. At the end of that week, I had lost yet another lb!!! How exciting was that. So, then, I quit worrying about calories. I also found that for me, it was hard to eat that many calories and comfortable to eat about 1700 or so. No sense in shoving in food I didn't even want.

So, now, I am in a comfortable zone. I check my ketone level each AM and as long as I am 0.5 to 3.00, I know I am eating right, my BS's LOVE this WOE and are consistently lower than 100 and often in the 80's. I can't wait to get my next A1C, the doctor knows I am doing LC and supports it. I have decided not to worry too much over the holidays about logging and tracking, just relax but know what I can and can't eat. Make myself dishes and or treats to take to gatherings where the table will be laden with carb goodies. If I stop losing, I will tighten up. I am satisfied with 1-2 lbs a month. Do I wish it were faster? Don't we all? But, I am here first for health and secondly for weight loss, which is part of the health. So, I am a very very happy NKer.

Sorry, didn't start out to write a novel.

Last edited by Buffy45; 11-29-2012 at 09:09 AM..
Old 11-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
I started NK Sept. 3rd of this year. I am diabetic and on meds for that. With the meds, I found I could eat however I liked, I lost an initial 34 lbs just from the meds and was happily strolling along, eating like a pig, carbing out. But, deep down, I knew that was not a good WOE for my diabetic, high BP self. then, over this past 12 months, I started getting UTI's often, I would get one, go on antibiotics, then have to take something for yeast infection, then get another UTI, on and on. My doctor recommended I see a urologist to rule out any problems and at the same time, I begin thinking that I really should return to LC for my health. And, I know that sugar intake contributes to yeast and UTI's. So, when I saw the Urologist, I discussed this with him and he thought it was a good idea. So, I came back to LCF's and started reading. I had done LC for several years but always stalled after about 10 lbs. After reading Kristn's NK thread, then more on the internet, I thought that maybe too high of protein at that time, plus too many calories probably was the reason I had not lost any more weight.

The more I read about NK and insulin resistance/diabetes, I also realized that during that time, even though I hadn't been diagnoised with diabetes, my BS's were probably spiking enough to keep me from losing. Now, armed with my diabetes meds I was ready to give it a try.

I started by cutting back on the carbs, knew how to do that, kept reading and trying to figure out my formula for the amount of protein and fat/calories to lose. Lost 8 lbs the first week, WOW, that was a good start and got me very excited. Then I ran onto the thread of HF started by Reddarin. He was an immense help in helping me figure out my macros, he even has a spreadsheet he has developed. I took his advice on the amount of protein, tried to keep my carbs under 20 but no more than 30 but, his advice on calories scared the heck out of me. His program showed me that I could eat 2045 as a minimum to 2386 as a maximum. I questioned him, are you sure this is for weight loss, or to maintain. He said it was to maintain at my goal weight of 150 so should work for weight loss. I was still afraid but did bump my calories up to 1500 or so, it was sooo hard for me to keep them 1200-1400, get my fats up and be satisfied. I wasn't quite as full as I would like to be.

I did this and continued to slowly lose. I went through all the aches and pains of re-started LC. I had the induction flu, I had terrible headaches, my back ached a lot, I didn't feel good and didn't sleep well. Had terrible cramps in my feet and legs. This went on for about 6 weeks or more, gradually decreasing as time went on. I added magnesium. I was already taking potassium and my doctor decreased the diuretic part of one of my BP pills, still the cramps continued. I used mustard and vinegar to help with them. Bought some over the counter potassium without checking with my doctor. Whoops, that was a mistake, for almost a week I could hardly drag myself around, I was so tired. Looked back to what I had recently changed, and dropped the extra potassium, that was the culprit.

Then, things all aligned for me! Did I have a sudden whoosh and lose 10 more lbs? Nope, but I started feeling WELL. It all settled in and was just "easy" to eat this way. I had logged everything I ate for well over 2 months so I had a really good idea of what and how much of what I should eat so eased up on the logging, not a great idea but I was kind of burnt out on it. I felt like I could do that if I continued my slow downward weight loss trend, if not, then back to logging.

During that period that I was logging, I decided to throw caution to the wind one week and eat the calories that Reddarin had figured for me. Each morning I gingerly stepped on the scale expecting to see a 3-5 lb gain. Nope, each morning was right about the same, or a teeny loss. At the end of that week, I had lost yet another lb!!! How exciting was that. So, then, I quit worrying about calories. I also found that for me, it was hard to eat that many calories and comfortable to eat about 1700 or so. No sense in shoving in food I didn't even want.

So, now, I am in a comfortable zone. I check my ketone level each AM and as long as I am 0.5 to 3.00, I know I am eating right, my BS's LOVE this WOE and are consistently lower than 100 and often in the 80's. I can't wait to get my next A1C, the doctor knows I am doing LC and supports it. I have decided not to worry too much over the holidays about logging and tracking, just relax but know what I can and can't eat. Make myself dishes and or treats to take to gatherings where the table will be laden with carb goodies. If I stop losing, I will tighten up. I am satisfied with 1-2 lbs a month. Do I wish it were faster? Don't we all? But, I am here first for health and secondly for weight loss, which is part of the health. So, I am a very very happy NKer.

Sorry, didn't start out to write a novel.
Love this, Buffy!!!!!
Old 11-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Love this, Buffy!!!!!
Thanks Shelley, I sure hope you find the key to your success, you are a hard case to figure out. I was where you are several years ago when I was doing LC. When I first came back I thought it was all from eating too much protein at that time, now I really don't think that was the case, it was from BS spikes, I really am certain that a person who is battling high BS can't lose weight. Of course unless someone has untreated diabetes for a long time, then the body will lose weight.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Thanks Shelley, I sure hope you find the key to your success, you are a hard case to figure out. I was where you are several years ago when I was doing LC. When I first came back I thought it was all from eating too much protein at that time, now I really don't think that was the case, it was from BS spikes, I really am certain that a person who is battling high BS can't lose weight. Of course unless someone has untreated diabetes for a long time, then the body will lose weight.
Thanks Buffy...just finished ordering the glucose meter you recommended to me. Want to see what my "real" numbers are since the nova max plus is all over the place. All docs I've gone to for the last few years all say I do not have anywhere near the numbers for a diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes. I have to have much higher fasting BG numbers...but, as you said, they don't seem to care that I have eaten LC and no sugars, no grains, etc. for years. So, I agree with you that my fasting BG and Ha1C numbers should be much lower than they are (even if they are much lower than would give me the diagnosis).

You are sweet. I think I'm going to ask Darin to re-run my numbers since he's made some revisions lately! I too hope to find a way to make this work. The fun news is that they have a new "head" of the gym where I lift weights 3 times a week. I'm meeting with her tomorrow to set goals and find ways to achieve them. She eats LC/HF/MP as well! She's young and fit and I'm really excited to hear her take on everything. Maybe she'll have some ideas beyond what weight routines to do!
Old 11-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #28
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
The fun news is that they have a new "head" of the gym where I lift weights 3 times a week. I'm meeting with her tomorrow to set goals and find ways to achieve them. She eats LC/HF/MP as well! She's young and fit and I'm really excited to hear her take on everything. Maybe she'll have some ideas beyond what weight routines to do!
Excellent!
Old 11-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Nice to see another JUDDDer. Thanks for posting your combination results. I am hoping to get my appetite down and ketones working and maybe get back on rotations. I still start my day with BPC just to see if a DD will happen naturally but so far the body wants to eat...every day. My guess is there is still a lot of internal work to do before I learn to burn fat.
Hi, Cici. I'm in my 5th week of JUDDD plus NK (on up days, lean protein and a little fat on down days), and it has gotten much, much easier to keep my calories low (300-500 calories/day) on my down days over time. I think that it really helped to have acclimatized my body to fat-burning on nutritional ketosis before I did JUDDD, because I can access my fat stores for fuel when my calories are very low. But before I got used to the lower levels of protein (aiming for 50 grams or less per day) on nutritional ketosis, I was crazy hungry often, even without going DD low on calories ever. So you might want to get your body used to fat-burning through NK before going onto JUDDD rotations, if you find the combination of NK and JUDDD too hard at the start. The best book that I've read on LCHF, Lose Weight by Eating by Sten Sture Skaldeman, acknowledges that it may take 4-6 months for some of us who are insulin-resistent to become accustomed to fat burning.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lindawell8
Stats: 198/198/160
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: Jan. 2012
Thank you Kristin for this thread. Reading all of them has helped me. I have dieted since I was 28 and now am 65. I weigh 161.2 now. Lost 42lbs since May 15th. But never have I done anything like this WOE. Did for a couple of wks then ran. Sure I was gaining fat. But I gained 5lbs over Thanksgiving so came back. I have no patience and want to get at least 10lbs off. So it is good to read that is does take this WOE time to get really started. I really want to do this, especially because of diabetis which I have. My biggest thing is not thinking my closes are getting tighter from the fat. Love to see Buffy on here, love her posts. And Shelley. I have seen you on some of the other threads. If it wasn't for these threads, I would never keep going. But if you keep reading them it encourages you to keep trying. So I will. Thanks for listening.
lindawell8 is offline   Reply With Quote