Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Figuring out Your Protein Requirement

For all of you following Nutritional Ketosis how have you figured out your protein requirement for NK?

At first I used the Dr. Jan Kwasniewski (Optimal Diet) formula which game me 68g +/- 10% for a 150lb goal weight. (The formula is goal weight/2.2)

In The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance, Phinney and Volek recommend a protein range of .6 - 1 X lean body mass. To figure this out you need your goal weight and goal fat percentage.

Goal weight * (1-goal BF%) = Goal LBM
Goal LBM * .6 = bottom of the range

My calculations are (150 pound woman with 20% BF Goal):

150 * (1-.2) = 120
120 * .6 = 72
Protein range = 72 - 120

So the bottom of the range is not that far off from the Kwasniewski number. After testing ketones for months I do find that staying at the bottom of the range gets me higher ketones and going over 90 grams for more than a day will knock me out of ketosis.

I also found that I lost faster with a lower amount of protein (in the 60-70 gram range).

I'd be interested to hear how others have calculated their protein requirements and (if you're tracking) how different levels of protein affect a.m. blood ketone readings and weight-loss.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
mom2zeke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anjikun
Thanks for posting this.

I had figured out my protein requirement as 85 using something from another thread. According to the Optimal Diet formula, it would be 55. For some reason I can't quite figure out how to use the other formula you posted (brain fog, I guess--I'm on day 3 of NK!) but if the low range of that is similar to the OD formula, I guess I could just go with 55, or 60. Does that sound right to you? I am about 140 pounds and 5 foot 1.
Anjikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjikun View Post
Thanks for posting this.

I had figured out my protein requirement as 85 using something from another thread. According to the Optimal Diet formula, it would be 55. For some reason I can't quite figure out how to use the other formula you posted (brain fog, I guess--I'm on day 3 of NK!) but if the low range of that is similar to the OD formula, I guess I could just go with 55, or 60. Does that sound right to you? I am about 140 pounds and 5 foot 1.
Do you have a goal body fat %? For most women that's somewhere between 20% and 30%. It depends on how athletic you are, body type, and age. If you have goal weight and body fat% I can tell you how to use it with the Performance range calculation.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I don't really have a goal weight, although I think an ideal weight for my size would be 120-130. I don't really know about body fat percentage. If I were to get down to 120 I wouldn't have much fat on me. I don't really care that much about losing weight right now though. I honestly just want to see if getting into true ketosis will up my energy levels at all.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
I did the lower protein and found that I was losing lean body mass and gaining fat percentage. I'm in the process of re-evaluating my protein requirements as I initially lost 2# in the first 6 weeks or so and then gained over 3# and it's all fat (and losing lean body mass). I go to the gym 3 days a week to lift weights. I need my muscle, so am going to up my protein considerably now. We are all so very different!
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjikun View Post
I don't really have a goal weight, although I think an ideal weight for my size would be 120-130. I don't really know about body fat percentage. If I were to get down to 120 I wouldn't have much fat on me. I don't really care that much about losing weight right now though. I honestly just want to see if getting into true ketosis will up my energy levels at all.
So let's use 125 pounds and 25% BF as a goal.

125*(1-.25)=93.75
93.75 X .6 = 56.25

Using the formula in the Performance book your range would be 56.25-93.75.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
I did the lower protein and found that I was losing lean body mass and gaining fat percentage. I'm in the process of re-evaluating my protein requirements as I initially lost 2# in the first 6 weeks or so and then gained over 3# and it's all fat (and losing lean body mass). I go to the gym 3 days a week to lift weights. I need my muscle, so am going to up my protein considerably now. We are all so very different!
Shelley--What is your goal weight and goal body fat %? What protein level did you start at, and what level is working for you now?

It's very true that we're all individual, that's why experimenting and finding what works is so valuable!

It's also really helpful to hear what's working and not working for other people.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for your help Kristn--this helps enormously. I guess as long as I keep my protein within 60-90 that should be good for starters.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:15 AM   #8
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I am keeping my protein lower than what is suggested by Phinney and Volek. I am post menopausal and very weight loss 'challenged'. My daily goal is 55g and that is based on my goal of 130lbs and btw, I am 5'3.5".

I sure hope NuSI gets an opportunity to find some evidence that is in reference to the metabolically damaged, peri-meno or post meno. I do think it is different than an 'average' male. I do watch for signs of muscle wasting and have none so far. It may be that in my stage of life that protein needs are reduced. If anyone has any info on the subject, I would love to see it.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Last edited by clackley; 11-23-2012 at 06:22 AM..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:18 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

My protein requirements might also be pretty low. I am pretty close to post-menopausal (only have a period once in a while) and I am not weight training right now. So I should probably stick closer to 60, I guess.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:34 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I am keeping my protein lower than what is suggested by Phinney and Volek. I am post menopausal and very weight loss 'challenged'. My daily goal is 55g and that is based on my goal of 130lbs and btw, I am 5'3.5".

I sure hope NuSI gets an opportunity to find some evidence that is in reference to the metabolically damaged, peri-meno or post meno. I do think it is different than an 'average' male. I do watch for signs of muscle wasting and have none so far. It may be that in my stage of life that protein needs are reduced. If anyone has any info on the subject, I would love to see it.

I have to believe that there is some truth to this. I am going to lower my protein slightly again (60-70 range, rather than 70-90) this upcoming week because I am not getting the ketone readings that I would like even staying in the lower half of the Performance range. And my weight seems to be inching up.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Okay, Hope all who celebrate had a wonderful holiday. I sure did. I have been mucky muckin' about here and hope to get to know all y'all soon, but right now I have been trying to figure this woe out and redaren helped alot on one of the threads. I listened to one of Phinney's interviews this afternoon (ain't U-tube a wonderful thing?) and he stated that when you go out of ketosis, it takes 4-6 WEEKS to get back to true nutritional ketosis. How depressing is that after a holiday when you tried but wasn't perfect and know now that you're 4-6 weeks away from NK with two birthdays and two major holidays between now and then?

One lightbulb moment was when (if I understand correctly) I get the fact that the 80/15/5 can include our own body fat being used. OMG! So I only have to divide up the protein and carb numbers between my planned meals and eat up to satisfaction w/the fat. The rest comes from those pesky fat cells which have been hoarding since 1962. Please, please, please let this be true. Or...correct me if I'm wrong. Either way, I am enjoying the evening and will deal with family pressure at the next event.

I think I have never actually been in NK.

Last edited by cici52; 11-23-2012 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: Observation
cici52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Okay, Hope all who celebrate had a wonderful holiday. I sure did. I have been mucky muckin' about here and hope to get to know all y'all soon, but right now I have been trying to figure this woe out and redaren helped alot on one of the threads. I listened to one of Phinney's interviews this afternoon (ain't U-tube a wonderful thing?) and he stated that when you go out of ketosis, it takes 4-6 WEEKS to get back to true nutritional ketosis. How depressing is that after a holiday when you tried but wasn't perfect and know now that you're 4-6 weeks away from NK with two birthdays and two major holidays between now and then?
I think that it's very individual. I have been doing this since June and have been knocked out of ketosis and has taken up to 5 days to get consistently over .5 for my morning blood ketone readings, but nowhere near 4-6 weeks. Other people have had different experiences. But I wouldn't use it as a reason not to try during this time of year.

Quote:
One lightbulb moment was when (if I understand correctly) I get the fact that the 80/15/5 can include our own body fat being used. OMG! So I only have to divide up the protein and carb numbers between my planned meals and eat up to satisfaction w/the fat. The rest comes from those pesky fat cells which have been hoarding since 1962. Please, please, please let this be true. Or...correct me if I'm wrong. Either way, I am enjoying the evening and will deal with family pressure at the next event.

This is also what I got from the Phinney interviews and reading the Performance book. When I was trying to lose my dietary fat stayed in the 65-70%ish range and my ketones were much higher than they are now in maintenance and closer to 80-85% dietary fat.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:03 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
OK, I'm ready to try NK to get back down to goal and maintain (3 months in Sweden has made it challenging to stay at goal, and right now I'm a few lbs up). I'm calculating my protein range at about 60 grams/day and 20 grams of net carbs per day , which leaves about 65-75 g of fat, if I'm averaging about 1200 calories a day. So the ratios are about 65% fat, 20% protein, 6% carbs.

Can I just eat a hunk of triple cream brie and call it a day? (Joking, but not entirely).

Last edited by tiva; 11-24-2012 at 12:05 AM..
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #14
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiva View Post
OK, I'm ready to try NK to get back down to goal and maintain (3 months in Sweden has made it challenging to stay at goal, and right now I'm a few lbs up). I'm calculating my protein range at about 60 grams/day and 20 grams of net carbs per day , which leaves about 65-75 g of fat, if I'm averaging about 1200 calories a day. So the ratios are about 65% fat, 20% protein, 6% carbs.

Can I just eat a hunk of triple cream brie and call it a day? (Joking, but not entirely).
Sounds like a plan to me!! &
Old 11-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
Quote:

so how do you know how much of the 80%...of the 80-15-5 is fat stores and how much should be dietary fat?
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
so how do you know how much of the 80%...of the 80-15-5 is fat stores and how much should be dietary fat?
My experience so far is that using percentages is confusing and not always helpful. If you're going by the Phinney/Volek Performance book their "formula" for nutritional ketosis is to get the correct level of protein for you (this may take experimentation to get right), eat carbs at a low enough level for ketosis (they say under 50, but it's also very individual--I stay around 20-25), and then eat fat for the rest of your energy needs. According to them, this usually results in a fat percentage equal to 65-80% of your daily caloric intake. They claim that if you eat fat to satiety most people will lose weight, but if you're not losing then you should hold the carbs and protein steady and reduce your fat intake until you are losing weight.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
I don't usually post on the NK threads, but that is what I am striving to achieve. I follow Dr. Bernstein since I am a T2 for 30yrs. and on 2types of insulin for 20yrs. I lost 42 pounds in about 9 months following 30 carbs a day and probably 80g of protein and whatever fat I wanted. I stalled in June/July 2011 and everything I tried to get the weight loss going again failed. I am still at least 50 pounds from any goal that my doctor would like to see

In July 2012 I read Jimmy's blog and started cutting protein. Dr. Bernstein also recommends cutting protein if weight loss stalls. I have used many methods to figure out how much protein to consume and have worked down to about 45-50g a day. Finally a few weeks ago I started losing a little weight! I am still eating 25-30g of carbs a day. Fat is whatever it is but always over 100g and most days probably 135g. When I tried to stay between 1000 and 1200 calories I was miserable and didn't lose any weight so now my calories are usually around 1350.
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Subing
portcop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: wrigglycate
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Mid October 2012
Finally sat down and worked out my Daily Protein Goal

Hi everyone -- I finally decided to sit down and figure out my real protein requirements:

Here is the result of my water immersion test March 2012
Hydrostatic Evaluation:
Body Fat %: 34.54 % Body Mass: 60.72 lbs

Lean Body Mass Percentage: 65.46 % Lean Body Mass: 115.08 lbs
Ideal Body Fat Percentage : 22.0 % Weight for Ideal: 147.54 lbs

Goal Body Fat %: 24.0 % Weight for Goal: 151.4 lbs

From that I can calculate using the Voleck Phinney formula:

151 X (1-24%) =114.76

114.76 X .6 = 68.8 So I guess my goal protein level should be 69 g / day which is quite a bit more than the 41 g that I'm currently aiming for. So I will try upping my protein intake and see what happens.

Last edited by wrigglycate; 12-05-2012 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: clarification
wrigglycate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigglycate View Post
Hi everyone -- I finally decided to sit down and figure out my real protein requirements:

Here is the result of my water immersion test March 2012
Hydrostatic Evaluation:
Body Fat %: 34.54 % Body Mass: 60.72 lbs

Lean Body Mass Percentage: 65.46 % Lean Body Mass: 115.08 lbs
Ideal Body Fat Percentage : 22.0 % Weight for Ideal: 147.54 lbs

Goal Body Fat %: 24.0 % Weight for Goal: 151.4 lbs

From that I can calculate using the Voleck Phinney formula:

151 X (1-24%) =114.76

114.76 X .6 = 68.8 So I guess my goal protein level should be 69 g / day which is quite a bit more than the 41 g that I'm currently aiming for. So I will try upping my protein intake and see what happens.
Let us know how it goes!
Old 12-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Kristn you may have already heard/seen this, but I'm listening/watching to the Jimmy Moore youtube. He has finally revealed he is eating between 80 and 100 g of protein/day.
That is very little for someone his size, it seems. But I think he's also had access to seeing whether he's gained LBM (he has) while losing about 60 pounds.
JMCM1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Kristn you may have already heard/seen this, but I'm listening/watching to the Jimmy Moore youtube. He has finally revealed he is eating between 80 and 100 g of protein/day.
That is very little for someone his size, it seems. But I think he's also had access to seeing whether he's gained LBM (he has) while losing about 60 pounds.
I just read Jimmy's latest n=1 update. I'm going to try and watch the youtube soon! That's interesting about 80-100 grams--do you know how tall he is?
Old 12-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
80 to 100 for a man???my protein is sopose to be 91 but I do 55-65 most days! I just don't do good on 91
portcop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:26 PM   #24
Chatty Cathy

And don't forget that he is gaining muscle mass.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:26 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Myles
using the keto calculator mine says 124 minimum and 243 maximum...i've been getting 90ish... and gettnig full on fat, but i definitely could eat more protein...but im scared too...mind you i havent had good ketone readings yet so not sure what to do!
Myles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Myles--do you have a really high LBM? What is your goal weight and goal body fat%? I wouldn't raise your current protein level if you're not getting into ketosis at 90ish.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:48 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
I just read Jimmy's latest n=1 update. I'm going to try and watch the youtube soon! That's interesting about 80-100 grams--do you know how tall he is?
I don't know how tall he is.

When I've seen him in pictures he always seems tall to me.
I'll see if I can find out.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Just a note from the ketogenic diet. It says that the first three weeks, protein needs are higher to avoid muscle loss. Minimum 150 for all. Higher for some. Then it drops back 40-60% (I would have to look back to see the exact %) after keto adaptation.
cici52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jimmy responded to my email: I'm 6'3" tall.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Myles
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Myles--do you have a really high LBM? What is your goal weight and goal body fat%? I wouldn't raise your current protein level if you're not getting into ketosis at 90ish.
I have no idea. The stuff i input on that calculator was just pure guessing. I put 40% body fat cuz i have no clue and dont know how to figure it out. We're a small city and dont have any kind of DEXA testing As far as i know. I'm 323 Lbs 6 feet tall and the fat is 95% in my jiggly gut

The thing i realized, at 90ish grams of protein, in order to have macros of 80/15/5 (around there anyhow) - i have to eat a lot of fat, and im getting quite full. If i upped the protein to 124 grams - in order to maintain these macros or higher fat...i'd have to eat A LOT more fat than i already am now...and as it is now i get quite satisfied sometimes really full from the meals im eating

Last edited by Myles; 12-12-2012 at 09:50 PM..
Myles is offline   Reply With Quote