Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 06:17 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolash View Post
I have no idea. The stuff i input on that calculator was just pure guessing. I put 40% body fat cuz i have no clue and dont know how to figure it out. We're a small city and dont have any kind of DEXA testing As far as i know. I'm 323 Lbs 6 feet tall and the fat is 95% in my jiggly gut

The thing i realized, at 90ish grams of protein, in order to have macros of 80/15/5 (around there anyhow) - i have to eat a lot of fat, and im getting quite full. If i upped the protein to 124 grams - in order to maintain these macros or higher fat...i'd have to eat A LOT more fat than i already am now...and as it is now i get quite satisfied sometimes really full from the meals im eating
Have you tried inputting your goal weight and BF% into the calculator? It may be that you are one who actually will need to lose some LBM to get to goal. Sometimes if you are large you will have structural LBM that isn't necessary at a lower weight. Also, according to what I've read, about 10% of fat cells are made up of non-fat (LBM). This will also be lost when you're losing fat although some will gain other LBM to make up for it.

Also, don't get hung up on %. Your fat should fall somewhere in the 65-85% range with your protein and carbs at the correct gram amount. You don't need to eat more than you are hungry for to get your fat up. The protein and carb gram numbers are the most important!
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
mom2zeke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2012, 06:20 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Jimmy responded to my email: I'm 6'3" tall.

Very interesting! Thanks for that information.

So 6'3" and 80-100g/day and still losing fat and gaining LBM. Interesting data point.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:26 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Just a note from the ketogenic diet. It says that the first three weeks, protein needs are higher to avoid muscle loss. Minimum 150 for all. Higher for some. Then it drops back 40-60% (I would have to look back to see the exact %) after keto adaptation.
Good point cici! I think they mention something about this in the Performance book also. When you're keto-adapting from a high-carb diet your body uses more protein with gluconeogenesis to supply glucose until you get into the fat-burning state. I wonder how this applies to people who start out the diet eating LC (but higher protein) already? Since you're already lower on carbs and higher on protein the only change is really lowering your protein so you wouldn't go through the initial phase--or am I interpreting that incorrectly?
Old 12-13-2012, 07:22 AM   #34
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I would agree with that Kristn.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
I've recently (since end of October) been losing some weight! This is quite a surprise since I was stalled for 15 months at 192+. The thing that concerns me now is I am eating between 45-50g of protein a day. Most days my protein is closer to 50g rather than 45g. I've never had any type of test to determine body fat. I did have the hilarious experience of taking various measurements on some website and that said my body fat was 50%.

Some background: I've been a Type2 diabetic for 30yrs. For 20yrs I've taken insulin plus metformin. Since starting to seriously follow Dr. Bernstein in 9/2010, I've lost 50 pounds and am now at 185. Since I'm only 5'2" this is still way more than I should weigh. I'm 64 (in 2wks).

Starting in July I began to try and follow the path of NK. Since my medication and insurance premiums are already high, I do not test blood ketones. Probably when I started this in July I was eating about 80g of protein, 30g carbs and the rest fat. I had played around with much lower carbs and much lower fat to try to get my weight loss going again - but only made myself feel like death. I am a little concerned that the weight I am losing is LBM (if, in fact I have any LBM) but nothing else I've done has gotten the weight loss going again.

Any thoughts on what I am doing? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited by Mobear; 12-14-2012 at 11:07 AM..
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobear View Post
I've recently (since end of October) been losing some weight! This is quite a surprise since I was stalled for 15 months at 192+. The thing that concerns me now is I am eating between 45-50g of protein a day. Most days my protein is closer to 50g rather than 45g. I've never had any type of test to determine body fat. I did have the hilarious experience of taking various measurements on some website and that said my body fat was 50%.

Some background: I've been a Type2 diabetic for 30yrs. For 20yrs I've taken insulin plus metformin. Since starting to seriously follow Dr. Bernstein in 9/2010, I've lost 50 pounds and am now at 185. Since I'm only 5'2" this is still way more than I should weigh. I'm 64 (in 2wks).

Starting in July I began to try and follow the path of NK. Since my medication and insurance premiums are already high, I do not test blood ketones. Probably when I started this in July I was eating about 80g of protein, 30g carbs and the rest fat. I had played around with much lower carbs and much lower fat to try to get my weight loss going again - but only made myself feel like death. I am a little concerned that the weight I am losing is LBM (if, in fact I have any LBM) but nothing else I've done has gotten the weight loss going again.

Any thoughts on what I am doing? Any suggestions?

Thanks
I don't think that there's a definitive answer to how much protein an individual needs or how much will keep them from losing LBM. The only way to really know is to get a series of DEXA, Bod Pod, or underwater tests. Since you've tried adjusting your macros and you found a woe that makes you feel good and lose weight, I think you should keep going!
Old 12-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Thanks Kristn for the encouragement. My blood sugar has improved and I've lowered my insulin since lowering my protein. Honestly I don't think I will be a "normal" size, but still hope to continue to lose as much as possible without making any radical changes to my current woe.
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobear View Post
Thanks Kristn for the encouragement. My blood sugar has improved and I've lowered my insulin since lowering my protein. Honestly I don't think I will be a "normal" size, but still hope to continue to lose as much as possible without making any radical changes to my current woe.
That's fantastic Mobear! Seeing health improvements is a great sign that you're doing something right.