Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 04:55 AM   #211
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 309
Gallery: tablis
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Hi- Wow just tried to catch up on all the action I missed. This is a really active thread.
I don't know if anyone wrote it yet but I wanted to mention that american diabetes wholesale has a deal where you get a one time free nova meter with a purchase of a 10 ketone stick box. its $23.99 which is the cost of the sticks alone so you have nothing to lose and end up with a spare machine that comes with 2 sticks and I think 10 glucose ones. Kristn already mentioned that they also have a deal for 39.99 which has the above plus a 50 glucose stick box.
So I'm on day 13 of NK. I can't wait to get a meter!
By day 5 I had lost 2.1 kg. Then I bounced up 600 gms on day 10. I've gone back down but no more loss. 2.1 kg is still pretty darn good for 13 days though! I want to have that meter already but I have tons of energy and no cravings so I believe in in some sort of ketosis and I hope I'm in enough bc I 'm hoping not to have to cut down on the protein or fat....

The first week my calories averaged 1700 80-15-5 approximate percentages 28 gm carbs and 65 gm protein.
I've been tweaking this week and so far I'm averaging 1400 cals, 77-18-4,
16 carbs and 55 protein.
It was so hard to cut the protein down it comes down to 2 eggs and 4 oz of chicken/meat approximately and its sooo much less than I was used to but I think I'm ok now.
Is there a calorie recommendation? 1700 seemed kind of high so I tried to take it down but that fat sure does rack up in cals.
My big problem still is constipation. I have been having fat bombs with the equivalent of 3TBS of CO per day. I had a bottle of solar magnesium-calcium-boron in the house which has a mix of magnesium oxide, citrate and gluconate which I thought I'd try first not to waste it. Its not doing the trick I have to get the citrate alone I guess...
did anyone look into whether its ok to be taking magnesium citrate for consitpation long term?
Thanks everyone and happy NKing.
tablis is offline  

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2012, 05:59 AM   #212
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablis View Post
Hi- Wow just tried to catch up on all the action I missed. This is a really active thread.
I don't know if anyone wrote it yet but I wanted to mention that american diabetes wholesale has a deal where you get a one time free nova meter with a purchase of a 10 ketone stick box. its $23.99 which is the cost of the sticks alone so you have nothing to lose and end up with a spare machine that comes with 2 sticks and I think 10 glucose ones. Kristn already mentioned that they also have a deal for 39.99 which has the above plus a 50 glucose stick box.
I believe that you also get 2 extra ketone strips with this offer and can get 2 more when you register your meter. So 14 strips and a meter for the price of the strips!

Quote:
So I'm on day 13 of NK. I can't wait to get a meter!
By day 5 I had lost 2.1 kg. Then I bounced up 600 gms on day 10. I've gone back down but no more loss. 2.1 kg is still pretty darn good for 13 days though! I want to have that meter already but I have tons of energy and no cravings so I believe in in some sort of ketosis and I hope I'm in enough bc I 'm hoping not to have to cut down on the protein or fat....

The first week my calories averaged 1700 80-15-5 approximate percentages 28 gm carbs and 65 gm protein.
I've been tweaking this week and so far I'm averaging 1400 cals, 77-18-4,
16 carbs and 55 protein.
It was so hard to cut the protein down it comes down to 2 eggs and 4 oz of chicken/meat approximately and its sooo much less than I was used to but I think I'm ok now.
Is there a calorie recommendation? 1700 seemed kind of high so I tried to take it down but that fat sure does rack up in cals.
My big problem still is constipation. I have been having fat bombs with the equivalent of 3TBS of CO per day. I had a bottle of solar magnesium-calcium-boron in the house which has a mix of magnesium oxide, citrate and gluconate which I thought I'd try first not to waste it. Its not doing the trick I have to get the citrate alone I guess...
did anyone look into whether its ok to be taking magnesium citrate for consitpation long term?
Thanks everyone and happy NKing.
Congratulations on your loss! If you're losing keep doing what you're doing and don't worry about the calories. Dr. Phinney said to get the right amount of protein and carbs and eat fat to satiety. He felt that would be enough for most people to get into NK and lose weight. He then went on to say that if you don't lose weight following this that you should cut your fat grams. I did find it useful to limit my total calories to get down to goal, but not everyone has to.

What is your goal for protein and carb grams? Those are the most important things to get right.

I'm not sure about magnesium long-term. I take it for multiple reasons and it's recommended to take magnesium on a LC diet regardless of bathroom issues.
__________________
Kristn
50 yo
LC since 2001
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 11-09-2012, 06:14 AM   #213
Senior LCF Member
 
SouthernGirl61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 462
Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
GM to all!

Kristn and Cathy from CA - where do you order your grass-fed beef?

Tablis - sounds like you are doing good. I am at about 60g protein a day and finally feel comfortable with that. How much mag are you taking? My issues in the potty were solved by taking it twice a day, 400mg each dose. Some cannot tolerate that much, also mine is malate in the morning, and a blend in the evening. Mag is safe, it's heart healthy long term, women should get at least 400mg a day...men can go a bit higher; never more than 1000mg a day (including in your foods). I also drink gallons of water, tea, etc during the
day.
SouthernGirl61 is offline  
Old 11-09-2012, 06:20 AM   #214
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Kristn, I am so ready to feel normal. Got the kit, now will wait until Saturday to do it, didn't realize I had to do four tests, and well, get quite a bit of a sample in each! Talked to the pharmacist today, and he confirmed the safety and said he has so many women doing this now...start to pick up cream will be about 14 days. Sanity is just around the corner, and maybe weight loss will start back too!
I had a rough time getting enough saliva. Sniffing a lemon and really swirling the saliva around in my mouth each time before I spit helped. But it felt like it took hours to get enough for each little tube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigglycate View Post
Hi all - thanks for your welcome.. Kristn -- I cut way back on the crossfit -- in fact that's another thing that feels "wrong" - I usually went 2-3 days /week and loved it but having read up on NK I realized that I shouldn't do anything too strenuous. I miss working out but have just put it on hold for now.
Well (and this is just my opinion) I don't think that you have to cut back completely, just don't overdo it. I do kettlebell class 2x/week and it doesn't feel like too much. It's not as intense as crossfit, but it's still a pretty hard workout. The other days I fit in low-level movement (walk to work, use the stairs, etc.). I like to follow Mark Sisson's advice (I'm paraphrasing)--move every day, lift heavy things 2-3x week, and sprint/HIIT 1x week. I figure the kettlebells cover my lift heavy things and HIIT requirements. This seems to be just enough to make me feel great and help build muscle without overdoing it.

Quote:
I have been taking Potassium and Magnesium -- at first I only had the oxide versions in the house but I went out a few days ago and got the citrate versions --- I also got a bottle of lemon flavored Norwegian fish oil.
Re: my goals and how I arrived at them -- at first I had a hard time figuring out how to arrive at my goals -- I read somewhere that under 50 g of carbs is good and so I worked it out from there. I use a tracker which is not all that accurate but it allows me to put in my calories along with percentage goals. At first I tried to aim for 1100 calories /day but it was impossible - I just couldn't restrict myself to that - it seems that I'm eating more like 1900 - 2000 calories /day and my percentages are about 80% fat 13% protein and 7% carbs. I did have a dunk test done back in July but I have to find the printout in order to figure out my lean body mass -- once I do that, I'll recalculate everything according to the guidelines at the top of this forum.
If you're eating 2000 calories then your protein is ~65g and your carbs are ~35g. Without more specific calculations the protein seems reasonable for your goal weight. But you may need to reduce your carbs a bit. After you're in ketosis you could probably bring your fat down gradually, but that may happen on its own with reduced appetite.

You said in an earlier post that weight loss sets off cravings for you. You are not alone! Weight loss sets off a cascade of hormones that cause hunger and cravings that can be physiologically almost impossible to fight. I find that ketosis is helpful in combating this but YMMV. It's definitely something to be aware of and to watch out for.
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 11-09-2012, 07:17 AM   #215
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
JMCM1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,121
Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablis View Post
did anyone look into whether its ok to be taking magnesium citrate for consitpation long term?
I know others have answered, but magnesium is very much recommended for low carbers. Adding potassium is also recommended. Both long-term.
JMCM1 is offline  
Old 11-09-2012, 07:55 AM   #216
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Kristn and Cathy from CA - where do you order your grass-fed beef?
We've been ordering from the same local rancher for 6 or 7 years. I believe I found them at eatwild.com originally. When we started you could order right up until they were being butchered, now there's a waiting list and you have to get your deposit in by March.
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 11-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #217
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 26
Gallery: risajs
I've found that my calories hover around 1300 with a low sometimes around 950 and high on occasion of around 1600. I track on ****** and make no effort to count calories at all. I keep to around 80-85% fat for the most part with carbs typically 3-6% of calories and protein around 10-15% and 30-50 grams depending upon whether or not I lift that day.

My ketone detection seems to be very dependent on the week of the month. I believe this is in part due to how my metabolism works over night each different week. I will often go to sleep weighing 162 and on some mornings I wake up with no ketone detection and weighing 161, other times I wake up with ketones in the 1 - 1.5 range and weigh 159-160. Regardless, when I test later in the day, under either circumstance, I am in the ketone acceptable range (above .5).

I think the next step for me (and anyone who notes changes across weeks of the month) is to play with the fat/protein ratio. I think it may be the case that while we are menstruating we may need more protein. But, who knows, I could be completely off base on this. I'm considering it an empirical question requiring experimentation.

I must vent a frustration, though. I have a feeling its due to carrying water in my breasts, which are tender as hell right now. But all I really want for now - or Christmas, whatever, is to go a week at 159. I know, I know watching the scale is not effective or moral, but for crying out loud, this week I have been 160.2, 160.4 (2 times), 160.6, and 160.8, not necessarily in that order. It's like my body is teasing and taunting me.
risajs is offline  
Old 11-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #218
Major LCF Poster!
 
portcop01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: virginia
Posts: 1,279
Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Risajs post what you are eating,there is always that little food that does it for us,like Cheryl and her sf gum.to many nuts ,fruit .cheese.will help you get to that 159... You can do this..are you drinking lots water?
portcop01 is offline  
Old 11-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #219
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by risajs View Post
I've found that my calories hover around 1300 with a low sometimes around 950 and high on occasion of around 1600. I track on ****** and make no effort to count calories at all. I keep to around 80-85% fat for the most part with carbs typically 3-6% of calories and protein around 10-15% and 30-50 grams depending upon whether or not I lift that day.
Your protein grams seem very low to me. What formula or method did you use to figure that number?

Quote:
My ketone detection seems to be very dependent on the week of the month. I believe this is in part due to how my metabolism works over night each different week. I will often go to sleep weighing 162 and on some mornings I wake up with no ketone detection and weighing 161, other times I wake up with ketones in the 1 - 1.5 range and weigh 159-160. Regardless, when I test later in the day, under either circumstance, I am in the ketone acceptable range (above .5).
Mine seem to be all over the place lately without rhyme or reason. I'm happy if they're above .5 in the am.

Quote:
I think the next step for me (and anyone who notes changes across weeks of the month) is to play with the fat/protein ratio. I think it may be the case that while we are menstruating we may need more protein. But, who knows, I could be completely off base on this. I'm considering it an empirical question requiring experimentation.
That's an interesting theory. I'll be interested to hear what you figure out.

Quote:
I must vent a frustration, though. I have a feeling its due to carrying water in my breasts, which are tender as hell right now. But all I really want for now - or Christmas, whatever, is to go a week at 159. I know, I know watching the scale is not effective or moral, but for crying out loud, this week I have been 160.2, 160.4 (2 times), 160.6, and 160.8, not necessarily in that order. It's like my body is teasing and taunting me.
My weight always hovers and then drops. I'm sure you'll see a whoosh soon!
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 11-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #220
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 26
Gallery: risajs
Thanks ladies. I appreciate the encouragement. I worked with Jimmy on the protein. I seem particularly adept at converting protein to glucose, so I purposely keep them low. If I begin to feel weak or run-down, I add a few grams. I can't discern any need for protein in fat loss and since extra protein just gets converted to glucose, I try to keep them low. I may need to drop some fat, though.

For b'fast I eat 2-3 strips of bacon, 1 egg cooked in CO with about an ounce of cream cheese and a tblsp of sour cream an 2 cups of coffee, 1 with 1/2 tbsp of MCT and both with HWC. A fat bomb with almond butter and CO for a snack. And usually about a cup of mixed greens with a 2 tbsp of high fat salad dressing and 1/2 tbsp of MCT along with 2-3 ounces of meat or fish for dinner. Every now and then (2-3 times/week) I'll have 1/4 cup of macadamia nuts or cashews and usually 1 square of dark chocolate a day.

Any suggestions? I'll try eating grass if you think it'll help. )
risajs is offline  
Old 11-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #221
Senior LCF Member
 
sasonnier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 247
Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Tablis...re constipation... try downing 1T of olive oil first thing in the a.
.m...that makes a world of a diff for me
sasonnier is offline  
Old 11-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #222
Senior LCF Member
 
jillybean720's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 641
Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
So much catching up to do here! With the sick baby, work being busy, working with contractors for home improvements, etc., I've completely stopped tracking my food intake and have become a bit more lax. I'm still very low in carbs - it's not like I've been eating pasta or rice or potatoes or anything - but I've been less picky about things like likely sugar in condiments (like sauces on wings and dressings). I stepped on the scale this morning, expecting to see at least 203, as I had been stuck at 201 for a couple straight weeks when I was tracking everything religiously. 199.5 When others see a drop on the scale after a day of indiscretion, I usually attribute it to that day being good to shake up the monotony and wake up the metabolism, but I can't apply that to myself, as it's certainly been multiple days. I'll take it and just keep doing what I've been doing, I guess, and see if it keeps up. I still avoid all grains and starchy veggies and obvious sweets and focus on eating protein and fat before even bothering with any veggies or anything. It was really nice to see that 1 at the beginning of my weight this morning, so I hope it lasts!
__________________
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)
jillybean720 is offline  
Old 11-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #223
Major LCF Poster!
 
livinlarge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: IL
Posts: 2,401
Gallery: livinlarge
WOE: whatever works
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
So much catching up to do here! With the sick baby, work being busy, working with contractors for home improvements, etc., I've completely stopped tracking my food intake and have become a bit more lax. I'm still very low in carbs - it's not like I've been eating pasta or rice or potatoes or anything - but I've been less picky about things like likely sugar in condiments (like sauces on wings and dressings). I stepped on the scale this morning, expecting to see at least 203, as I had been stuck at 201 for a couple straight weeks when I was tracking everything religiously. 199.5 When others see a drop on the scale after a day of indiscretion, I usually attribute it to that day being good to shake up the monotony and wake up the metabolism, but I can't apply that to myself, as it's certainly been multiple days. I'll take it and just keep doing what I've been doing, I guess, and see if it keeps up. I still avoid all grains and starchy veggies and obvious sweets and focus on eating protein and fat before even bothering with any veggies or anything. It was really nice to see that 1 at the beginning of my weight this morning, so I hope it lasts!
AWESOME!!!!!!!
livinlarge is offline  
Old 11-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #224
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
So much catching up to do here! With the sick baby, work being busy, working with contractors for home improvements, etc., I've completely stopped tracking my food intake and have become a bit more lax. I'm still very low in carbs - it's not like I've been eating pasta or rice or potatoes or anything - but I've been less picky about things like likely sugar in condiments (like sauces on wings and dressings). I stepped on the scale this morning, expecting to see at least 203, as I had been stuck at 201 for a couple straight weeks when I was tracking everything religiously. 199.5 When others see a drop on the scale after a day of indiscretion, I usually attribute it to that day being good to shake up the monotony and wake up the metabolism, but I can't apply that to myself, as it's certainly been multiple days. I'll take it and just keep doing what I've been doing, I guess, and see if it keeps up. I still avoid all grains and starchy veggies and obvious sweets and focus on eating protein and fat before even bothering with any veggies or anything. It was really nice to see that 1 at the beginning of my weight this morning, so I hope it lasts!
Congratulations on your loss!! I still remember how great it was to see that 1 at the beginning of my weight number. It never gets old.
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 11-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #225
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 26
Gallery: risajs
Way to go Jellybean!
risajs is offline  
Old 11-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #226
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 26
Gallery: risajs
Can someone review my diet posted a few notes above and offer suggestions? I'm thinking that now that I am incorporating more CO and MCT, I'll cut back on dairy.
risajs is offline  
Old 11-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #227
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by risajs View Post
Thanks ladies. I appreciate the encouragement. I worked with Jimmy on the protein. I seem particularly adept at converting protein to glucose, so I purposely keep them low. If I begin to feel weak or run-down, I add a few grams. I can't discern any need for protein in fat loss and since extra protein just gets converted to glucose, I try to keep them low. I may need to drop some fat, though.
So you were not able to get into ketosis with a higher level of protein? To get to your body composition goals you're going to need to preserve your LBM. I hope that you're eating enough protein for that. But if it aint broke...

Quote:
For b'fast I eat 2-3 strips of bacon, 1 egg cooked in CO with about an ounce of cream cheese and a tblsp of sour cream an 2 cups of coffee, 1 with 1/2 tbsp of MCT and both with HWC. A fat bomb with almond butter and CO for a snack. And usually about a cup of mixed greens with a 2 tbsp of high fat salad dressing and 1/2 tbsp of MCT along with 2-3 ounces of meat or fish for dinner. Every now and then (2-3 times/week) I'll have 1/4 cup of macadamia nuts or cashews and usually 1 square of dark chocolate a day.

Any suggestions? I'll try eating grass if you think it'll help. )
Your menu looks good to me. I think that if you stick with your current plan you will see the results that you're looking for. You may just need to wait out the hormones.

In Dr. Phinney's interview about long-term stalls he did mention that going too low on total calories could down regulate your metabolism and cause stalls. Perhaps you could set a floor for your calories so you don't go too low?
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 11-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #228
Junior LCF Member
 
nisha2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: FL
Posts: 11
Gallery: nisha2003
Stats: 285/205/145
WOE: Atkins/Paleo-Primal/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 2009
Congrats Jillybean!
nisha2003 is offline  
Old 11-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #229
Senior LCF Member
 
SouthernGirl61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 462
Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Hi to all, TGIF!

Kristn, Greg, the Pharmacist told me the collection could be tough, gee, I am so thirsy when I first wake up, this could be interesting. He told me the lemon trick, and I remember from way back when in performances in a life far removed.....we were told to bite our tongue lightly to get moisture, but don't move out of formation! Funny thought now. I may have to ask for a blood test if this fails. Oh my on the wait for beef...I may have to venture to our local butcher and find out if I can buy directly from the source, he carries grass-fed now. Yummy stuff. I am willing to buy now that hurricane season is over....you learn after you throw out your freezer for the third time!

Risajs, I realize your frustration was pure emotional honesty, but you made me laugh! I have that feeling too, that my body is doing this just to "laugh at me" at times! Hang in there, sounds like you have the science mind to do all the testing and keeping up with it! I would think you need to increase protein, but I have not read Jimmy, nor the great books that Kristn and the others have. I just know me, and lower protein was not a good thing. Lower calories will lower your metabolism.

Becky has a good point, it's always the "little things" that we seemingly miss that get us...

Hi Jilly. Good to hear from you! Wow, on the loss. Sometimes when I choose to ignore it all, I have had that happen...and sick baby's take a lot of energy too! I hope you are feeling better, and of course, Mr Baby too!

Hi Nicki, how are you doing with all your "changes" going on??

Hi Nisha!
SouthernGirl61 is offline  
Old 11-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #230
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 26
Gallery: risajs
So, I just spend 10 minutes venting to my husband and laying out my new plan and rationale. Not 2 minutes later he tells me he just lost 3 pounds on his run.

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!

But really he is a good husband and very supportive.
risajs is offline  
Old 11-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #231
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
JMCM1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,121
Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Men - they can skip lunch and lose 10 pounds.
JMCM1 is offline  
Old 11-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #232
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 8,782
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Jilly, congrats on your loss!!!
Buffy45 is online now  
Old 11-10-2012, 05:48 AM   #233
Senior LCF Member
 
SouthernGirl61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 462
Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by risajs View Post
So, I just spend 10 minutes venting to my husband and laying out my new plan and rationale. Not 2 minutes later he tells me he just lost 3 pounds on his run.

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!

But really he is a good husband and very supportive.
We know that was just sweat!!! If it took off fat, I would be hitting the street! But we are counseling our joint replacement patients to STOP the running, it's awful, and those replacements aren't fun surgery.
SouthernGirl61 is offline  
Old 11-10-2012, 05:49 AM   #234
Senior LCF Member
 
SouthernGirl61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 462
Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Men - they can skip lunch and lose 10 pounds.
Judy, this is the truth! I keep praising DH on his loss, but really!? Took me years, took him 5 months.
SouthernGirl61 is offline  
Old 11-10-2012, 06:13 AM   #235
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by risajs View Post

Any suggestions? I'll try eating grass if you think it'll help. )
If you lived in Washington state you could now smoke it.

I think if I were you I would also cut out the dark chocolate. Are others here eating it? Even the small amount of real sugar is a trigger for me--YMMV. IMO fat bombs are a better choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Oh my on the wait for beef...I may have to venture to our local butcher and find out if I can buy directly from the source, he carries grass-fed now. Yummy stuff. I am willing to buy now that hurricane season is over....you learn after you throw out your freezer for the third time!
I am so grateful that we don't have hurricanes. Earthquakes don't scare me, probably because I grew up with them. And they're so unpredictable that you can't make buying decisions based on trying to avoid them. If we ever lose our power for that long I guess we'll just host a neighborhood barbeque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risajs View Post
So, I just spend 10 minutes venting to my husband and laying out my new plan and rationale. Not 2 minutes later he tells me he just lost 3 pounds on his run.

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!

But really he is a good husband and very supportive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Men - they can skip lunch and lose 10 pounds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
We know that was just sweat!!! If it took off fat, I would be hitting the street! But we are counseling our joint replacement patients to STOP the running, it's awful, and those replacements aren't fun surgery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Judy, this is the truth! I keep praising DH on his loss, but really!? Took me years, took him 5 months.
Yeah for supportive husbands and partners!!

I try not to get too frustrated about this. My DH sticks mostly to the plan but definitely goes off when eating out or with friends. I am happy that he doesn't share my frustrations about weight-loss but is still supportive. My ex was a really skinny guy (he went to the gym with me for the first time ever at 40 and when they did an assessment he was 12% BF) and had no sympathy at all for my struggles.
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 11-10-2012, 06:24 AM   #236
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Good morning everyone!
I am thinking that risajs is on to something with the ketone variation and hormones. TOM arrived yesterday and for the past few days my ketones have been on the lower end of ketosis (.5 to .8). My weight is still in a good place (149 this am) but I expect to see it go up slightly over the next week or so due to hormones.

This afternoon/evening we are celebrating a friend's birthday and I can see that it will pose a challenge. She has rented a limo to go wine tasting and then we'll all have dinner at a wine bar/restaurant. Too much wine definitely lowers my ketone levels which are already pretty low (for me) right now. I guess I will be doing a lot of sipping and spitting. It should be a fun time though! I'll be interested to see what my ketone readings are tomorrow morning.

How is everyone else doing today?
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 11-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #237
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 26
Gallery: risajs
Have fun Kristn! Remember, regardless of ketones, wine is good for your heart.

I woke up 2 pounds heavier this morning (all in my boobs, I think) and still not registering ketones. I'm going to go off dairy - except for a little HWC in my now, one and only cup of coffee. I'm going to take ya'lls advice and increase protein a little and drop fat to 78-80%.

It's a beautiful day in Kansas City - breezy, sunny, and in the 70's. It may be our last one for the year, tomorrow we get the western cold front. But, hey, it is almost mid-November. I think only 7 more Mondays until Christmas!

Have a great day all -
Risa
risajs is offline  
Old 11-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #238
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 8,782
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Morning!
Seems like my week has been very routine, no big changes, BG and BK's good each morning, weight has not changed all week but not big ups which is good news. I feel like a new low will be coming soon. I guess I feel like I have now settled into a great routine and feeling really good for the most part.

Glad for everyone that is doing good and keep it up!

Our last warmer day too, according to the forecast, the cold front is to move in here tonight or tomorrow, but in Dallas, that probably won't be very cold.
__________________
Buffy
Buffy45 is online now  
Old 11-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #239
Senior LCF Member
 
NKSL55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 173
Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Introducing myself

Hello.
Started my first LC "diet" -- guess WOE really is a better term -- back in February. Actually recommended by my doctor. I wanted to increase the intensities of my (very gentle) workouts in order to lose some weight I have been carrying a few years. But at the time she did not want me to do that and suggested eating a diet lower in carbohydrates if I wanted to lose weight.

My history (skip if it gets too boring). I was overweight since 3rd grade or so. But my weight increased again my freshman year of undergrad with the all you can eat dining. I don't remember what I got up to, but something north of 200 lbs on my 5' 8" frame. Second semester, I had enough and started jogging. That got me down below 180. Later I would also diet using those old fashioned Weight Watchers pamphlets that my mom had scattered around the house. They had titles like "Quick Start", etc. So, jogging 6-8 miles a day, 6-7 days a week, and dieting would get me down into the low 160's.

That was pretty much my method. Sometimes I would stop running for various reasons, then my weight would balloon up again and I would start again, etc. Some time in my late 30s, early 40s, running in the hot summer sun became too much for me. I work at a university, so I bought a membership in their gym and used there cruddy indoor track. One day the track was closed, but I really wanted a workout (endorphin withdrawl...) so I went downstairs to the machines and tried some of them. Those seemed okay, so I mixed it up for a while, jogging some of the time, working out on a stair climber or rowing machine the rest.

Some year later we bought a new house and equipped it with an orbital trainer, and a rowing machine. This was around 10 years ago. I remember I would shoot for 600 calories every day.

The afflictions of early middle age took their toll: kidney stone here, back thrown out there, etc. I dumped the diet and strenuous exercise about 7 years ago. My weight rapidly climbed about 200 again. I still did a light workout every day. Basically a gentle 300 calorie stroll on the orbital trainer while listening to podcasts. I also added a little weight training in.

Anyway, about a year ago I started thinking about my health long term. Did not seem a good idea to carry that extra weight into my 50's. I sure was not going to get any easier to lose it. But I also knew I did not have a 30 year old body any more. Sure I could ramp up the running again, but there is a definite chance of injury with the extra weight hammering all my joints.

So, when my doctor suggested low carb, I went for it. So at first my wife just looked for some low carb recipes on the web, etc. and cook them for me. Meanwhile I stopped eating a bag of cornchips per day. I did not increase my exercise at all.

So, you occasionally hear the term "the pounds melted off". I did not consider that a term that would ever apply to me. Well, the pounds melted off. The first 10 came off in a month. Another 10 in 2 months. Then I stalled. So, as a listener to Steve Gibson's "Security Now" podcast, I thought -- why not try full Nutritional Ketosis?

--
Phillip

Last edited by NKSL55; 11-10-2012 at 11:55 AM..
NKSL55 is offline  
Old 11-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #240
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 8,782
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Welcome NKS. Glad to hear the great success you are having!
Buffy45 is online now  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:36 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.