Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #151
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: One maur time
WOE: Atkins, lchf, nk
Start Date: 01/15/2011
Dear Dottie
Glad your feeling better. I hope your brother feels better soon.,
Maureen

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #152
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bobbin
WOE: High fat, moderate protein, low carb
Thanks all, for your responses. This seems to be a big and active group, and a lot of knowledge! I am particularly interested in the hormone discussion - are the bio-ids something that require a prescription, or could they be purchased at a well stocked (supplement-wise) health food store? Would you see a regular Dr. or Naturopath to get a recommendation? I need to do some research to see what different hormone levels/blood tests can indicate, as I have recent results in hand, but no real understanding of what they mean.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #153
Senior LCF Member

Dear Becky
Wow! Fantastic stats. way to go! Take that low fat folks!
Maureen
Old 11-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #154
Senior LCF Member

Dottie
You are on point. The pens are much quicker and no holding your breath. The old fashioned way would have scared me off. Other posters have said that for this who need them there are ultra thin lancets to make it even more comfortable.
Maureen
Old 11-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #155
Senior LCF Member

Dear Kristn
Great plan on visiting the dunk truck. I wish I knew where there was one here in NYC. I think I need to seek one out.
Maureen
Old 11-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #156
Senior LCF Member

Dear Buffy
Glad all is well with you. Darker lipstick. How interesting - I have never observed that I must keep an eye out for that.
Maureen
Old 11-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #157
Senior LCF Member

Dear Judy
Great I hope that offer the solution you seek. I have a few friends on them and they are very Happy! Improved hair and skin.
Maureen
Old 11-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #158
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbin View Post
Thanks all, for your responses. This seems to be a big and active group, and a lot of knowledge! I am particularly interested in the hormone discussion - are the bio-ids something that require a prescription, or could they be purchased at a well stocked (supplement-wise) health food store? Would you see a regular Dr. or Naturopath to get a recommendation? I need to do some research to see what different hormone levels/blood tests can indicate, as I have recent results in hand, but no real understanding of what they mean.
You can google them, and there are also very knowledgeable people here on the "health" portions of these lowcarbfriends boards. Worth looking around here on these boards in my opinion. (I am no expert or I would offer! )
Old 11-07-2012, 05:32 AM   #159
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Morning all!! I have a couple of questions for those that are experiencing success with N.K........do you eat breakfast and if not, then when do you have your first meal of the the day? Does anyone do N.K. combined with intermittent fasting?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:03 AM   #160
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Bobbin, you have to have a prescription for the hormones and they are compounded to your formula that you need by a compounding pharmacist. If you have an enlightened gyno they should be able to help you. I'd ask lots of questions and as Judy said, research and read all you can!
Old 11-07-2012, 06:06 AM   #161
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbin View Post
I believe that you need a prescription to get most of the bio-identicals (progesterone is available OTC). I would do a google search in your area for bioidentical hormone doctors. I see a naturopath but I know there are MDs who are well-versed in this. It might be just me, but when dealing with hormones I like to have a knowledgeable guide.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:08 AM   #162
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by One maur time View Post
Dear Kristn
Great plan on visiting the dunk truck. I wish I knew where there was one here in NYC. I think I need to seek one out.
Maureen
Maureen--there must be one in NYC if there's one in little ol' Seattle.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:10 AM   #163
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Morning all!! I have a couple of questions for those that are experiencing success with N.K........do you eat breakfast and if not, then when do you have your first meal of the the day? Does anyone do N.K. combined with intermittent fasting?

I eat breakfast every day at 6am and don't IF.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:43 AM   #164
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Morning.
I am not an early breakfast eater. Now that I am semi-retired and set my own hours, I usually start the day with my coffee/CO and sip that for a couple of hours. Then, whenever I feel hungry, I fix something that usually turns out to be breakfast/lunch type of thing. I don't IF.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:41 AM   #165
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
I do the same as Buffy!
Old 11-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #166
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: omatic
Stats: 148/140/130
Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Morning all! Just want to pop in and tell y'all a little about my good report.i do eat NK way and love it,just had my cholesterol checked!!now. I've been on NK since mid July, I eat 3-4 tbs of co ever day.my # are alway 85-17-2 and I went from 340 cholesterol to 192. So you can see it does work..I'm going to retest in few more months Dr. Said it takes about 6 months for a big change,
That is great! Make me jealous! Your change is very different than mine. I have been NK since Aug with CO and MCT oil. My total cholesterol went from 214 to 368. My trigs went down and HDL up. In 6 months when I have it checked again, I am going to request a NMR to eval the LDL particle size.

One more example of how individualized we are!
Old 11-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #167
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: omatic
Stats: 148/140/130
Quote:

I tried IF in the past and put weight on. There are articles about IF and how it is different for women. I love three meals a day. Day to day the meals can be different sizes depending on hunger levels.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #168
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: risajs
Morning all. I'm going to find out more about the bio-ids. Need to share that info with my mom, too. If for no other point than she'll have another reason to think I'm a narcissistic crazy person who thinks she knows more than her doctors and Harvard trained cardiologists like Dr. Oz (don't get me started!).

I eat b'fast every day, usually around 8:00, then a snack around 2:30 or 3:00 and dinner around 7:00. I find IF pretty difficult and I have a tendency to overeat afterward.

I need to get my bloods checked. It's been a very long time.

Got my MCT oil yesterday and had my first tsp in my coffee this morning. So far, so good. No adverse reaction. I think I'll try an additional tsp later with my snack. I think I recall hearing advice to increase dosage slowly with MCT to avoid nausea.

After starting 4 days ago on an NK diet, I have lost the 4 pounds I put on when I went off the NK WOE and just ate low-carb. I'm not in ketosis, yet, but clearly this is my body's favored WOE. My goals, btw, are to get down to a size 6 (8-10 now), weigh 147 (160 now), and about 20-23% bf (I'm at about 27% on the athletic setting - which is really cheating, and about 33% on the standard setting, which is likely a bit of an overestimation).
Old 11-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #169
Junior LCF Member

I was looking back on some of the questions people had about NK on the main pages. I wondered if the physiological advantages of ketosis - like with cancer, have been discussed here as well.

While weight loss is a goal of mine, cancer prevention is my primary goal.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #170
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thinking_thinly
Stats: 250/145/140
WOE: Paleo-ish
Start Date: Nov 15, 2012
What are your guy's thoughts on products like Energy Greens (aka powdered vegetables)... One tablespoon is the equivalent of 5 servings of fruits and vegetables. The nutrient data is 34 cals per scoop, 2g fat, 5 g carb (1 gram fiber) and 1 gram protein... I think I would feel less "guilty" if I had something to supplement my veggie intake (which can be pretty high-carb at times).
Old 11-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #171
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melisa82
Stats: 5'6" SW 244 CW Too Much GW 160
WOE: LC
Start Date: 3/27/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinking_thinly View Post
What are your guy's thoughts on products like Energy Greens (aka powdered vegetables)... One tablespoon is the equivalent of 5 servings of fruits and vegetables. The nutrient data is 34 cals per scoop, 2g fat, 5 g carb (1 gram fiber) and 1 gram protein... I think I would feel less "guilty" if I had something to supplement my veggie intake (which can be pretty high-carb at times).
Before I started low-carb I used to drink powdered greens. I felt amazing! I had so much energy and was always in a great mood. My co-workers would always ask me what kind of meds I was on LOL Thanks for reminding me! Think I'm going to buy some this weekend
Old 11-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #172
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Dear Clackley:
I tend to have breakfast accompanied by coconut tea ( 2 tbs of Coconut oil). Then I generally will have dinner at 8:00 or so. This is made possible by the high fat breakfast. Dinner is a little more traditional followed occasionally by a fat bomb. I have never tried IF.

Maureen
Old 11-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #173
Senior LCF Member

Kristn:
I am going to seek one out!
Maureen
Old 11-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #174
Senior LCF Member

Interesting - I wonder if Female bodies are more proactive during extended fasting thus messing up the intended purpose. Regrettably, I just like to eat - IF seems too harsh for me.
Maureen
Old 11-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #175
Senior LCF Member

Dear Risajs
I am rooting for you to make it happen with this WOE. As you have seen NK is very a individualized WOE and each follower has to find what works and avoid what does not. Slow and steady on the MCT - avoid forging ahead because too much too fast is awful.
Maureen
Old 11-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #176
Major LCF Poster!

I got my free Precision meter in the mail today--that was fast! It doesn't come with any ketone strips but it does have 10 glucose strips. I think I'm going to compare them to my Nova meter over the weekend--just for fun.

I may also order a few of the ketone strips from Canada to compare my Nova readings to the Precision.

It's true, I'm totally geeking out on this.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #177
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Maureen. I tend to geek out about this stuff, too, and probably over-analyze a bit too much.

I will heed your advice on the MCT! I have heard some pretty scary stories from people who did forge ahead. So far, I had 1 tsp this morning and 1 tsp with salad dressing this evening. I think I'll do that for 3 days or so before increasing. Does that about right to you?
Old 11-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #178
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nisha2003
Stats: 285/205/145
WOE: Atkins/Paleo-Primal/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
I got my free Precision meter in the mail today--that was fast! It doesn't come with any ketone strips but it does have 10 glucose strips. I think I'm going to compare them to my Nova meter over the weekend--just for fun.

I may also order a few of the ketone strips from Canada to compare my Nova readings to the Precision.

Could u give us the link to the free meter? Couldnt find it.....
Old 11-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #179
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: geogeo
WOE: NK
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post

I was really surprised at how fast it got here! This reminds me that I want to post all of my comparison readings here soon...sorry I haven't done that yet!
Old 11-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #180
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: geogeo
WOE: NK
Quote:
Originally Posted by risajs View Post
Thanks Maureen. I tend to geek out about this stuff, too, and probably over-analyze a bit too much.

I will heed your advice on the MCT! I have heard some pretty scary stories from people who did forge ahead. So far, I had 1 tsp this morning and 1 tsp with salad dressing this evening. I think I'll do that for 3 days or so before increasing. Does that about right to you?
From my experience, I'd say that if you are used to eating a LOT of coconut oil and fat, that you probably won't have any issues. But I would still proceed with caution from what I've read here!
I just dove right in with my first bottle (about a week ago) and didn't have any er um problems. lol
Closed Thread