Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 05:17 AM   #121
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
unstrung the problem with some restaurant omelets is that they add pancake batter to the eggs to make them fluff up more. Make sure you tell them eggs only and you should be fine

Thanks Buffy and Kristin, that bug did a number on me! My brother had it about a week before me and he still feels like a truck hit him. My SIL works at a hospital outside Houston and said there are a couple of really hard-hitting bugs going around right now in the area.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2012, 06:02 AM   #122
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
risajs!

Like sasonnier I don't share my WOE with many people. And the people who know a bit about it think I'm a bit nuts. But they really can't argue with the results, so I just keep on quietly doing my thing.

Dottie--I've heard that IHop puts pancake batter in their omelets but I didn't realize that other restaurants did too. That just seems so wrong. Especially now with so many people discovering that they are gluten sensitive.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:04 AM   #123
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bobbin
WOE: High fat, moderate protein, low carb
Hi there - a couple of questions for you experts.

Anyone who measures ketones: When you first started, did you wait a few days to start measuring consistently? I've only been dong this for 2 days now, and finally decided to use one of my precious strips this am, it only read .2 I am thinking I should give it a week before testing again, to let my body adjust, but how long did it take you to start getting your levels up? Do you measure am or pm, and why? I have read the levels are higher in the PM, but wouldn't that have more to do with the fat you've eaten during the day, rather than a baseline reading?

My other question, I'm sure you get constantly, what are the best sources for possibly finding cheaper sticks? I have the Precision Xtra and I can already see I'm going to want to measure it often here at the beginning.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 11-06-2012, 06:05 AM   #124
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnstrungHarp View Post
I was seriously looking at the Nova ketone meter supplies online last night...but I really hate the idea of pricking my own finger. I could probably handle it if someone else were doing it that I trusted to do it correctly. I guess for now I'll stick with the urine strips while they're still changing color and making me happy.
It really isn't as hard as it seems. I didn't know if I could do it either but I ordered the free meter to give it a try. I don't love it, but it's tolerable.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:10 AM   #125
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Morning all! Just want to pop in and tell y'all a little about my good report.i do eat NK way and love it,just had my cholesterol checked!!now. I've been on NK since mid July, I eat 3-4 tbs of co ever day.my # are alway 85-17-2 and I went from 340 cholesterol to 192. So you can see it does work..I'm going to retest in few more months Dr. Said it takes about 6 months for a big change,
Old 11-06-2012, 06:13 AM   #126
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbin View Post

Anyone who measures ketones: When you first started, did you wait a few days to start measuring consistently? I've only been dong this for 2 days now, and finally decided to use one of my precious strips this am, it only read .2 I am thinking I should give it a week before testing again, to let my body adjust, but how long did it take you to start getting your levels up? Do you measure am or pm, and why? I have read the levels are higher in the PM, but wouldn't that have more to do with the fat you've eaten during the day, rather than a baseline reading?
Bobbin!

I had been following this WOE for a while before I measured ketones (waiting for my free meter). I think you're right about waiting a week before measuring so as not to waste the strips.

When I was knocked out of ketosis on vacation it took me 5 days to get back into consistent ketosis.

I test in the am because the readings are the lowest (if I'm in ketosis and stick to the WOE I should be there throughout the day) and they are less likely to be affected by what you recently ate.

Quote:
My other question, I'm sure you get constantly, what are the best sources for possibly finding cheaper sticks? I have the Precision Xtra and I can already see I'm going to want to measure it often here at the beginning.

I don't use the Precision but I know that others have gotten their strips through a Canadian Pharmacy that Jimmy Moore talked about on his blog. The cheapest place to get the Nova supplies is American Diabetes Warehouse.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 11-06-2012, 06:14 AM   #127
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
It really isn't as hard as it seems. I didn't know if I could do it either but I ordered the free meter to give it a try. I don't love it, but it's tolerable.
Honestly the little pen lancets are painless (ok more or less!).
Much less painful than the ones where you had to just jab yourself with the manual lancet, those suckers hurt!
Old 11-06-2012, 06:17 AM   #128
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Morning all! Just want to pop in and tell y'all a little about my good report.i do eat NK way and love it,just had my cholesterol checked!!now. I've been on NK since mid July, I eat 3-4 tbs of co ever day.my # are alway 85-17-2 and I went from 340 cholesterol to 192. So you can see it does work..I'm going to retest in few more months Dr. Said it takes about 6 months for a big change,
Whoo hoo Becky!! Congratulations on your great results!
Old 11-06-2012, 06:17 AM   #129
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bobbin
WOE: High fat, moderate protein, low carb
Thanks for your quick response Kristn - I appreciate it!
Old 11-06-2012, 06:27 AM   #130
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Bobbin hi,

I have the Precision Xtra and as Kristn said, got my strips from a Canadian pharmacy mentioned on Jimmy Moore's site. I would definitely wait at least a week before using another test strip. Tweak your foods - up your fat, measure your proteins to see how much you're eating, continuing low carb... then try again.

You might be able to feel it even before the meter shows it.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:43 AM   #131
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
to the new members!

Ahhh, cheesecake factory! Used to love to go there, haven't been in a while and probably won't. But, the omelet sounds like it was a good choice.

I take 400 mag citrate, had to work up to that amount. Helps me go to sleep easier too.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:55 AM   #132
Major LCF Poster!

Skinny weeks?

Does anyone else have a "skinny week" during the month. It happened when I was losing (I only lost 1 or 2 weeks out of the month) and even now in maintenance I seem to have weeks where I'm down 2 or 3 pounds and then go right back up again over the next few weeks. I even feel different during these weeks.

Today I was down another .6 to 147.4, ketones were .8. I am now thinking that I'd ultimately like to hover around 145. I am going to continue maintenance until after the holidays and my birthday and then try to lose a few pounds in the new year.

I noticed last night at kettlebells that the dunk truck is coming back to the studio on 12/1. I think I'm going to sign up and see if I've made any real progress in changing my body composition.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #133
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Does anyone else have a "skinny week" during the month. It happened when I was losing (I only lost 1 or 2 weeks out of the month) and even now in maintenance I seem to have weeks where I'm down 2 or 3 pounds and then go right back up again over the next few weeks. I even feel different during these weeks.

Absolutely. As a young girl, we mostly just notice when TOM rolls around, then as the years pass, you begin to see more and more of a pattern that occurs each month during all the days of the month, when you hormones are up/down, whatever they are doing. There is usually a week when I feel the thinnest too and definitely a week when I feel like I am "FATTER" than I have ever been in my life. Clothes tight around the waist that week. Another thing to notice, your lipstick, if you wear the same color, day in and day out, looks darker during some days of the month than others.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:04 AM   #134
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Another thing to notice, your lipstick, if you wear the same color, day in and day out, looks darker during some days of the month than others.
I've never noticed but now I'm going to look for that!
Old 11-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #135
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I've never noticed but now I'm going to look for that!
ME TOO! - Buffy is a wealth of information (and fun!).

I got results from the doc yesterday and she and I decided I'm going to start bio-identical hormone treatment.

Kristn are you on hormones?
Old 11-06-2012, 08:11 AM   #136
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post

I got results from the doc yesterday and she and I decided I'm going to start bio-identical hormone treatment.

It's because I am so darn old!!! And, having 3 daughters, you learn a lot about hormone cycles.

Judy, glad you are doing the bio-ident hormones, they really made a diffference for me.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #137
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

THANK YOU Buffy! I couldn't remember who all was doing this. It's gotten a bad rap, but my doc seemed to have the "right" studies and info to support this. Plus I'll feel better. Plus I'm continuing some kind of natural thyroid - not levothyroxine - not Armour, but still from a compounding pharmacy.

I'm about 10 pounds from my goal - and my goal is probably higher than someone younger might want, but I think I'll feel well and look great at my goal. I've just not lost much lately and I think it might be hormones & thyroid.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #138
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Just thyroid right now. The last time I was tested I was actually high on cortisol and estrogen, low on DHEA, and fine with everything else. So I take supplements to lower the cortisol and estrogen and raise my DHEA. Progesterone cream didn't work for me and made the estrogen problem worse.

I need to get back in for another test soon to see where my levels are at. I'm feeling pretty good right now so I think it's all working. That makes me less motivated to go in.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #139
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
THANK YOU Buffy! I couldn't remember who all was doing this. It's gotten a bad rap, but my doc seemed to have the "right" studies and info to support this. Plus I'll feel better. Plus I'm continuing some kind of natural thyroid - not levothyroxine - not Armour, but still from a compounding pharmacy.

I'm about 10 pounds from my goal - and my goal is probably higher than someone younger might want, but I think I'll feel well and look great at my goal. I've just not lost much lately and I think it might be hormones & thyroid.
I've done a lot of reading on bio-identical hormones and I think that they're really valuable. I plan to keep tweaking my hormones as I get older to stay optimized.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #140
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I've done a lot of reading on bio-identical hormones and I think that they're really valuable. I plan to keep tweaking my hormones as I get older to stay optimized.
Thanks, Kristn. I'm a few years older than you and my hormones were low.
Honestly I think these boards have such a great amount of people who have studied symptoms and treatments - it's foolish not to ask!

And of course all our bodies are different and tolerate different things - but I have really found it helpful to hear ALL the points of view.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #141
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
I use Bio-id hormones and have for about 10 years now. I never want to go back to how I used to feel!!
Old 11-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #142
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: risajs
I noticed that my ketone readings definitely follow a weekly cycle. My weight loss is a bit less predictable, though. I think as you get older and the hormones change it is difficult to attain consistency. However, I went off the pill after my episode in March (after 30 years) and now have a 28 day cycle to the "t".

Hormone replacements are clearly indicated in many situations. But, for me, I think the hormones I was on in the form of my birth control are what caused much of my metabolic dysfunction (in addition to a ****-ish low fat SAD for 20 years). I feel much better and more in control of my body since going off.

When I hit menopause hard in a few years, I imagine I might be singing a different tune.

I wrote Jeff Volek and Stever Phinney a while back to ask them about how ketone readings were affected by sex hormones. Seems no one really knows. It's not clear whether sex hormones can kick us out of ketosis or just obfuscate the readings. If anyone here knows of any literature related to this, I'd love to see it.

I suppose inter- and intra-individual differences in hormones explain the many variations in weight loss patterns noted among women. It sure would be nice to be able to figure out some rhyme or reason, but I think, for me anyway, it will require experimentation by week of the month. Then, I imagine, just when I have my macros by week figured out, my body will plateau or change it up on me.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #143
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Sandy & risajs.

See? So many people with much information!
Old 11-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #144

BC pills have synthetic hormones in them though and the bio-ids are all natural. I would use hormones either if they weren't the bio-id type. All my research convinced me that our bodies handle them totally different from synthetics. JMHO
Old 11-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #145
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
BC pills have synthetic hormones in them though and the bio-ids are all natural. I would use hormones either if they weren't the bio-id type. All my research convinced me that our bodies handle them totally different from synthetics. JMHO
I totally agree with this. When I first went to my regular doctor and asked she said I didn't need them and then said if I did that she'd put me on birth control pills. Bioidenticals that are prescribed based on testing and identical to the hormones made by your body seems more reasonable to me than synthetic hormones in a one-size-fits-all pill.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #146
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I totally agree with this. When I first went to my regular doctor and asked she said I didn't need them and then said if I did that she'd put me on birth control pills. Bioidenticals that are prescribed based on testing and identical to the hormones made by your body seems more reasonable to me than synthetic hormones in a one-size-fits-all pill.
That's what my doctor said, Sandy & Kristn. The study in 2002 from the Women's Health Initiative where every women was jerked off their hormones because they were going to cause heart attacks and breast cancer was done with synthetic hormones.

I think it might be a rare doctor who reads past the headlines, unfortunately. Of course it might help that my (new) doctor is a woman!
Old 11-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #147

If that's true Judy, then you're lucky. My DHs cardiologist is a woman and I don't think she ever reads anything "new". She and I get into some "interesting discussions" when I tag along to his visits. I'm trying to educate her a bit, lol. I'm not sure it's going to take though.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #148
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Missed the Good Morning, moving to Good Evening! Hope everyone had a great day!

Welcome Risajs! We look forward to getting to know you.

Sophie, you are funny. TMI on this thread!? I agree with your post to Risajs; when I was higher protein, I had potty issues too....all is good with the magnesium increase and fat increase.

Dottie, good point. I have to ask everytime I order omelets...if they add pancake or wheat to the mix. The allergy threat usually makes them fess up fast! So glad you are better now! Sounds like you all had the real flu.

Hi Bobbin!

Unstrung, I didn't have the heart or finger tolerance to do this again....had several years way back when of twice a day, and enough is enough for me!

Kristn, "skinny weeks"...well, yes, as a matter of fact....I seem to go down 1.5 to 2lbs...for about a week or so, then that stupid bounce up again, to what was formerly called a "set point"....which I just don't want to be at!

Wow Buffy, never thought about the lipstick connection, sometimes mine seems a different shade!

Hey Judy. Me too. I have appointment for a consult for BHRT....with the pharmacist. Fired my GYN, have interview with new one. I am doing to do this, because I hate this stall, and I need my sanity back!

Sandy, I won't use the synthetics either; she offered me those. Clearly this doc doesn't really know me after all this time!

Keep challenging your physicians, remember who they work for!
ct
Old 11-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #149
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: One maur time
WOE: Atkins, lchf, nk
Start Date: 01/15/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbin View Post

Dear Bobbin
I use the Precision Xtra. Jimmy Moore recommends a drug store in Canada. I ordered about 120 strips from them. They are much less expensive there about $2.00 per strip. But very SLOW shipping.

Maureen
Old 11-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #150
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: One maur time
WOE: Atkins, lchf, nk
Start Date: 01/15/2011
kristn
I agree -people who are uninformed are freaked by fats. They can't understand no fruits or very limited fruit. I agree not a popular subject matter at your next cocktail party.
Maureen
Closed Thread