Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 08:07 AM   #91
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Lots of really great posts today. Southerngirl, I love your informative posts. Keep it up.

Dottie, glad you are feeling better, wow, that stomach bug really did a number on you.

Welcome Unstrung.

Omatic, yes, the ketone meters can be frustrating. I got some lo and error readings at first and it is so costly. Doesn't happen as often now. But, although I like to use it and am testing for BG anyway, they aren't necessary to be successful on this WOE. If you are doing well, don't worry about it.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webwoman100
Stats: 315/236/139 (-79)
WOE: Tried Everything. Now LCHF
Start Date: Started LCHF 06.24.14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post

Karen, what is half the "whole hog" and where can I go??? I love breakfast. Not so much the other meals right now....need gumbo! Mag is great for your heart too....it's the #1 supplement for that...well, and CoQ10 too.
Carol's Diner is a breakfast place for the locals. I mean I think people have gone here for 40+ years! I know of people that go there every day. LOL.

They have a great "whole hog" breakfast. Bacon, ham, sausage, eggs and it usually comes with hashbrowns and toast but I get extra bacon instead. Dip it all into some mayo and I'm happy as a pig!

I used to be able to eat almost all of it including the hashbrown & toast but now I can only eat half of it and that doesn't include the hashbrowns & toast!

This is a whacky diet. I've never ate so little and felt so full.

My body seems to be stalling in the weight loss department a little bit. Which doesn't surprise me. I'm extremely insulin resistant and I've had major female problems to boot. However, I am the incredible shrinking woman! Inches are flying off of me. So it's all compacting somewhere. LOL.

I don't know who it was that said they were post-meno at 32 but I started pre-meno in early 30's as well. Hot flashes, night sweats, you name it. Been there, done that in my 30's. I was on HRT in my 20's and it almost killed me. That's when I learned to hate doctors. Now, I just mistrust them. Most of them are poor misguided pill-pushing puppets. I have been used and abused by the medical system enough. My poor DH has gone through heck and back with me. Seriously, I could write a book. Let's put it this way. One of my previous doctors ended up in jail.

Honestly, at this point in my life I would love to drop 100 .lbs but I could live with where I'm at as long as I"m healthy and feeling good. So far, NK seems to be improving my health so I'm sticking with it. One of the NK books I read by that Swedish guy said it can take up to 6 months before your body becomes "fat adapted." I figure, knowing my body, that it will probably try and test that theory. LOL

Karen
Old 11-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tablis
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Hi Tablis. Some of us are realizing that it is the yolks of the egg we really love so just toss the whites and enjoy the yolks. On the broth, I always thought the broth I got when I put a pot of chicken on to boil, turned out so bland. Now, I add a big hunk of butter, really adds to the taste. 1/2 lb to a soup pot full of chicken, water, salt and pepper.
Thanks for the explanation and recipe. Btw if we eat just the broth
from chicken soup and vegs do we have to count it as any thing like protein or carbs or is it free? do you put vegs in your broth for some taste?
Old 11-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tablis
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
I also prefer the yolks, but you have fewer protein grams in yolks only. So I can save my protein for something later.
Quote:
Simple answer is that the whites contain the protein (and nonfat which is why most diets eat eggwhite omelets.... The yolk has the fat! The part we all aim to raise. So, I have one egg, and one egg yolk scrambled in 1 TBSP of CO in the morning with bacon, coffee with HWC and MCT oil. Took me a while to get the right amounts to have enough, and also not feel icky from too much fat. And then I can have a real lunch or dinner with some form of food protein that I can really enjoy since I eliminated the egg white protein in the morning.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Hello again! Thanks to all of you for the kind welcome and advice. I had a happy surprise at lunch today: the Mexican place had an omelet that fit perfectly into my "protein allowance" for the day. I've never noticed it on the menu before, but it was delish!!

Karen, it was me who went through meno at 31 (I'm 32 now). I'm so sorry you went through so many problems with hormones, etc. But it's wonderful that you are having success with NK!! Hope the inches keep flying off.

~ UnstrungHarp
Old 11-04-2012, 03:21 PM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Need to go grocery shopping tonight. Need veggies, cheeses, eggs...I'm out of all the basics!
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnstrungHarp View Post
I don't have complete control over what they do because I'm participating in a clinical trial for a psoriasis medication, and the checkups and blood tests are all part of their standard procedure. But I guess it never hurts to ask, since I've already got to give them a couple of vials of blood anyway. (If anyone is curious, I've been in this clinical trial for over a year, and once they increased my dosage halfway through the trial, the medication started working beautifully. I'm now 99% clear and ecstatic about it!)
That is so interesting! Have you had any side effects? My husband has psoriasis, and the current available treatments typically lower the body's immune system, which he doesn't want to do, especially now that we have a baby.
Quote:
Jilly, hope you are able to figure out the puzzle for you soon. I think that something with your bariatric surgery, digestion, metabolism may be at play. Rare doc that has the specialty for that much to take the time to sort through. What were you doing pre-Mr Baby that worked?
I'm on the hunt for a new PCP now since I've changed jobs, as mine was near my old job, which is about 45 minutes away from home now. Doctors aren't usually pushing me to try to lose much weight since I've already lost over 100 pounds, so even though I'm still "obese," they tend to be happier with where I am now than I am. Pre-baby, I was low-carbing to lose weight, but wasn't as strict about it as I am now. I did well with weight loss in my first trimester of pregnancy, but I haven't been able to successfully really lose since then. I sometimes consider loosening the reins a bit with carbs to see if that actually helps, but it's a slippery slope, and I have read so much about the health benefits of low-carbing that I don't want to ad them back in regardless of weight.
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)
Old 11-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #97
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by webwoman100 View Post
Carol's Diner is a breakfast place for the locals. I mean I think people have gone here for 40+ years! I know of people that go there every day. LOL.

They have a great "whole hog" breakfast. Bacon, ham, sausage, eggs and it usually comes with hashbrowns and toast but I get extra bacon instead. Dip it all into some mayo and I'm happy as a pig!

I used to be able to eat almost all of it including the hashbrown & toast but now I can only eat half of it and that doesn't include the hashbrowns & toast!

This is a whacky diet. I've never ate so little and felt so full.

My body seems to be stalling in the weight loss department a little bit. Which doesn't surprise me. I'm extremely insulin resistant and I've had major female problems to boot. However, I am the incredible shrinking woman! Inches are flying off of me. So it's all compacting somewhere. LOL.

I don't know who it was that said they were post-meno at 32 but I started pre-meno in early 30's as well. Hot flashes, night sweats, you name it. Been there, done that in my 30's. I was on HRT in my 20's and it almost killed me. That's when I learned to hate doctors. Now, I just mistrust them. Most of them are poor misguided pill-pushing puppets. I have been used and abused by the medical system enough. My poor DH has gone through heck and back with me. Seriously, I could write a book. Let's put it this way. One of my previous doctors ended up in jail.

Honestly, at this point in my life I would love to drop 100 .lbs but I could live with where I'm at as long as I"m healthy and feeling good. So far, NK seems to be improving my health so I'm sticking with it. One of the NK books I read by that Swedish guy said it can take up to 6 months before your body becomes "fat adapted." I figure, knowing my body, that it will probably try and test that theory. LOL

Karen
You have been through a lot - but you have survived. I am of the opinion that all things happen for a particular reason, at some point we know what that is; much of the time we simply wonder "why"....I understand your opinion of docs too; a few nearly killed me at age 18-20. They are humans who make mistakes; now we in healthcare work on being more "transparent" with those mistakes. Medicine is still a science, unperfected and often tested. You are a strong person, so you will do this too. Shelley and I are counting on the "6 month theory"....as we bounce around on weight loss/gain...but feel great, not hungry, and in control.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Jilly,
good luck finding a new doc, interview them first, ask for a consult so they don't overcharge you for a visit. don't you love when docs aren't concerned about something that you their PATIENT are very concerned about??? this drives me nuts. I have actually looked at mine, who was busy typing...and asked him to please listen to me - I am paying for your time!
I had huge issues with my hormones balancing between pregnancies, and it stopped my weight loss with first daughter like hitting a wall. Third pregnancy with second daughter I didn't gain much to her nearly 10lbs! But took a while to get those hormones back in line....and it was nearly a year. Never underestimate the power of female hormones to muck with your body and mind!
Old 11-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lindawell8
Stats: 198/198/160
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: Jan. 2012
Hi Jillybean, I also have psoriasis and hate it. But the co really helps mine for some reason. And also I swim in the pool at the gym and go in there hottub and both have sea salt in them. You can also soak in a bathtub with sea salt and it really does work. It would take over my whole body if I would let it go. But these things really work for me. It was on my head elbows knees writs and now it is veryly anywhere. Just an idea.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Thanks for the feedback, Judy and Buffy. I'm having another night where I don't care if I have dinner, so I'll get my protein in and be done. It's going to be interesting to see what kind of whoosh I get from dropping my calories at this point.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:59 AM   #101
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post

That is so interesting! Have you had any side effects? My husband has psoriasis, and the current available treatments typically lower the body's immune system, which he doesn't want to do, especially now that we have a baby.
No, I'm not aware of any side effects that can be directly attributed to the medication. It was during the past year and a half that I gained all this weight and I went through menopause, but I really doubt the psoriasis medication is related to any of that. Unfortunately, if your husband doesn't want to take an immune system suppressant, then this drug won't be for him either. The nice thing about it is that it's not an injection like all the other similar drugs currently on the market. It's taken orally. I have not caught any more colds than I usually would have since being on the medication (they always say you're at a greater risk of upper respiratory infections). They put you through a ton of tests before you can get into the study (chest x-ray, EKG, blood tests, etc.), and they will only accept those whose psoriasis is very severe.

For the first six months of the study I was very discouraged, since it was literally doing nothing - no improvement whatsoever. At the six month mark, you either agree to continue in a different study, or you're dropped from the original study if you've had no improvement. The "different" study is the one that made all the difference for me, because you're guaranteed to be receiving a higher dose of the medication (in the first study, you have a good chance of receiving a partial placebo). The improvement was slow but steady over the next year or so, and now I'm all clear except for a couple of really small spots.

If you want to google it, the drug is called tofacitinib and it's by Pfizer. I have no idea if they're still accepting new trial participants anywhere in the U.S. because I've already been in the study a long time. I hope your husband can find a treatment that works for him!!
Old 11-05-2012, 05:55 AM   #102
Senior LCF Member

Grocery shopping done! Eggs fried in butter with a little onion, sea salt, crumbled bacon, and cheddar cheese for breakfast Working from home today because Mr. Baby has had a persistent cough for more than a week, so we have a pediatrician appointment later this morning. I want him to be better so badly, but I also have major concerns about starting giving him antibiotics so young, so we'll see what they say. I do give him probiotics daily, so maybe that will help if we do have to go the antibiotic route. I have just read so much about the potential evils of antibiotics. I know I wasn't a very healthy kid, and I just hope he doesn't follow in my footsteps in that respect!

Since I'm working from home, I may try to whip up a batch of fat bombs. I've never made them before, so it will be pure experimentation! I have CO, butter, almond butter, coconut manna (which I assume is just another name for coconut butter since the ingredients were the same)...I'm sure I can come up with something. I do need to order some more erythritol, but I can just use some Truvia or Stevia in the Raw for now.

UnstrungHarp, thanks for the info on the psoriasis study! I think the issue with my husband is that it doesn't bother him, so he doesn't worry about it. It's just "there." It doesn't itch or hurt or anything, just makes large patches of red, scaly, flaky skin (mostly on his legs, but also right in/around his eyebrows, and you can see it on his scalp when he gets his hair cut short). I know it bothers me more than it bothers him! I did see an improvement when I had him taking vitamins regularly (didn't clear it up, obviously, but his face looked less red and flaky - I put him on a multi, a relatively high dose of D3, and fish oil), but he doesn't keep up with taking them and probably hasn't taken any in over a year. I suppose if it doesn't bother him, it really shouldn't bother me, but I can't help but try to help, ya know?
Old 11-05-2012, 06:06 AM   #103
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Good morning everyone! I'm back from my weekend with family. We got to see my son's high school vocal jazz ensemble play and just hang out with my favorite relatives. Food choices turned out to be really easy even though we ate out 3 nights in a row!

This morning my weight is down 2.2 pounds from last Friday at 148 and ketones were at 1.7. I really love this WOE!

I am going to try and catch up with this thread today, but it may not be possible. I have a really busy day at work and then kettlebell class after work. I'm going to sneak in reading when I can.

Have a great day everyone!
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 11-05-2012, 07:06 AM   #104
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Morning!
Harp, that is great that you got to participate in a study that has helped you so much.

Jilly, sorry to hear Mr. Baby is not feeling well. They may not push antibiotics, I know my DGS's dr. hardly ever ever gives them. Recently he did for an ear infection. Aren't we all trying to nurse our DH's, even when they don't want it or pay attention, LOL.

Kristn, glad you had a fun weekend and wow, congrats on the weight loss. I find eating out very easy, it is eating in someone else's home that is hard.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindawell8 View Post
Hi Jillybean, I also have psoriasis and hate it. But the co really helps mine for some reason. And also I swim in the pool at the gym and go in there hottub and both have sea salt in them. You can also soak in a bathtub with sea salt and it really does work. It would take over my whole body if I would let it go. But these things really work for me. It was on my head elbows knees writs and now it is veryly anywhere. Just an idea.
I just wanted to say that I feel for you! My psoriasis was so horrible before I got in the clinical trial for tofacitinib, and I had tried nearly everything I could afford. My health insurance won't ever cover anything psoriasis-related since it was a pre-existing condition when I got the policy. So it was such a huge blessing to find out about the clinical trial - not only do I not have to pay anything for the medicine, they actually pay me every time I go in for a scheduled check up. I wish the trial would go on forever!
Old 11-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dianajlane
WOE: new to HFLC, but long-time LC-er
Start Date: 10/1/2012
Hello again

Subbing
Old 11-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #107
Senior LCF Member

Well, the good news is that Mr. Baby does not have any respiratory issues (no bronchitis or pneumonia or anything). However, he has an ear infection! I never would have known, as he's generally pleasant except when he lays down for a nap. Now I'm wondering if he's been such a nap terror because laying flat can make the ears hurt more. So, he is on amoxicillin. I asked a bunch of questions about the antibiotics and decided better to nip this in the d than potentially have it worsen. I know most ear infections just go away on their own in time, but I had terrible ear problems when I was growing up and remember how miserable earaches are, not to mention I have had more than my fair share of ruptured eardrums, and I don't wish that on anyone.

I'm placing a Netrition order for powdered erythritol. Any other product suggestions?

I'm also going to order some magnesium taurate (claimed to be most absorbable for of magnesium). How much elemental magnesium do you guys take daily? Trying to figure out how much to take. Each capsule is 125mg.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #108
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Well, the good news is that Mr. Baby does not have any respiratory issues (no bronchitis or pneumonia or anything). However, he has an ear infection! I never would have known, as he's generally pleasant except when he lays down for a nap. Now I'm wondering if he's been such a nap terror because laying flat can make the ears hurt more. So, he is on amoxicillin. I asked a bunch of questions about the antibiotics and decided better to nip this in the d than potentially have it worsen. I know most ear infections just go away on their own in time, but I had terrible ear problems when I was growing up and remember how miserable earaches are, not to mention I have had more than my fair share of ruptured eardrums, and I don't wish that on anyone.

I'm placing a Netrition order for powdered erythritol. Any other product suggestions?

I'm also going to order some magnesium taurate (claimed to be most absorbable for of magnesium). How much elemental magnesium do you guys take daily? Trying to figure out how much to take. Each capsule is 125mg.
I'm sorry to hear about Mr. Baby's ear infection. I hope that he's feeling better soon.

From Netrition I order Guy's spicy BBQ sauce, EZ Sweetz, and kelp noodles.

I take 800 mg of magnesium citrate.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #109
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Kristn, glad you had a fun weekend and wow, congrats on the weight loss. I find eating out very easy, it is eating in someone else's home that is hard.
You are so right about that! Our biggest challenge was breakfast and we brought along eggs and breakfast fixin's so we just made a big breakfast for everyone in the morning. I had my cream cheese if I needed it for lunch and dinners were out so I could pick what I wanted.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #110
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
It doesn't happen to everybody, I guess, but it sure happened to me - I stopped being hungry and stopped looking for food and stopped planning 'when' I could eat next. It was/is AWESOME after years and years of dieting and feeling like I couldn't wait to eat again. But never enjoying the food my diet required.

Eat to your protein amount. There is no requirement to eat high fat grams. Your body can use its own fat. I think if you eat too few calories, that's not good. You are now at a point where you can rationally decide to nourish your body. Don't go too low. Don't worry about getting all the fat grams in.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omatic View Post
I am so frustrated with the ketone meter, four errors for who knows what reason and now three LO. Really $$ ? What did I do yesterday to get LO? Hopefully just a cranky meter. Now I am cranky
I don't know about the LO readings but the times that I've had errors I either didn't get enough of a blood drop (I have learned to get a nice big one) or the strip got slightly bent. The strips are pretty flimsy so I handle them with extreme care.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #112
Major LCF Poster!

UnstrungHarp!

And Dottie I'm glad that you're feeling better.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #113
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EllaP
Stats: 229/144/139
WOE: HF/MP/VLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
I don't know about the LO readings but the times that I've had errors I either didn't get enough of a blood drop (I have learned to get a nice big one) or the strip got slightly bent. The strips are pretty flimsy so I handle them with extreme care.
The only time I got an error was when I didn't get the strip in right and the machine read it as a glucose strip instead of a ketone strip, but I didn't realize what it was saying until it was too late. Now I make sure when I put it in it says Ketones and not Glucose on the screen. If it's wrong, I pull it back out and put it back in better. I've never had it say LO though.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #114
Senior LCF Member

After my clinical trial checkup today, my husband and I went to the Cheesecake Factory (gasp!), which is our usual tradition after every checkup. In the past I always ordered the Energy Breakfast, but it's got way too much protein for NK. I tried to figure out what I could order by searching on my iPhone before we got to the restaurant, and I found out that it's pretty hard to get accurate nutrition info for the Cheesecake Factory. I ordered the spinach, mushroom and cheese omelette because the info I found on two different websites said it had 30g protein, 6g carbs, and 25g of fat. I did not notice at the time that it said the calories were 832! So when I was entering this info into my spreadsheet tonight, I realized that something had to be terribly off.... if you do the math on the protein, carbs and fat, the omelette should only have 369 calories. I am not worried if the omelette had 832 calories, I just want to know where those calories came from! Or if the actual calories were 369, then that's fine too.

I guess I'll have to leave it alone and just let today be mostly a question mark in my food log. But the good things about today are: I was fasting when I went to my checkup because of the blood tests, so all I ate today was that omelette, then tonight a few pieces of deer meat and some Greek yogurt. Other good thing: I got some Ketostix today, so I was able to test my urine ketones for the first time since I started eating this way several days ago. I tested after I got home from the Cheesecake Factory, which was about 1.5 to 2 hours after eating the omelette, and I showed a medium purple!! (hooray!)

That does bring me to a question, though... is it ever possible for Ketostix to show a false positive? Or if it's showing even just a "trace," you definitely are in ketosis to some degree?

Thanks to all you guys for your support and answering my questions!
Old 11-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #115
Senior LCF Member

Hello to all.

Unstrung, you sound like you are doing good in NK...restaurants are easier to me than eating at someone's house.

Kritn, wow, great numbers for a weekend out of the house!

Hi Diana, that is one beautiful lighthouse pic!

Jilly, upper limit on magnesium is 1000...but I think that is high for women. I take 800 in two doses.

Ella, I love your siggy!

Been one long day, will check in tomorrow. I am maintaining my 1.5lb over two week loss.....still quietly happy. Waiting for the bounce up. Kristn, you will not believe...my lady GYN wants me to wait on the hormone break out test. Thinking that is the last straw and finding new doctor.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #116
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Kritn, wow, great numbers for a weekend out of the house!
Thanks, I'm pleased to have stayed on track over the weekend. I think that I get so nervous about eating correctly when I'm away that I'm super vigilant about staying on plan.

Quote:
Kristn, you will not believe...my lady GYN wants me to wait on the hormone break out test. Thinking that is the last straw and finding new doctor.
Argh! How frustrating. Definitely time for a new doctor.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #117
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnstrungHarp View Post
I tried to figure out what I could order by searching on my iPhone before we got to the restaurant, and I found out that it's pretty hard to get accurate nutrition info for the Cheesecake Factory. I ordered the spinach, mushroom and cheese omelette because the info I found on two different websites said it had 30g protein, 6g carbs, and 25g of fat. I did not notice at the time that it said the calories were 832! So when I was entering this info into my spreadsheet tonight, I realized that something had to be terribly off.... if you do the math on the protein, carbs and fat, the omelette should only have 369 calories. I am not worried if the omelette had 832 calories, I just want to know where those calories came from! Or if the actual calories were 369, then that's fine too.

I guess I'll have to leave it alone and just let today be mostly a question mark in my food log. But the good things about today are: I was fasting when I went to my checkup because of the blood tests, so all I ate today was that omelette, then tonight a few pieces of deer meat and some Greek yogurt. Other good thing: I got some Ketostix today, so I was able to test my urine ketones for the first time since I started eating this way several days ago. I tested after I got home from the Cheesecake Factory, which was about 1.5 to 2 hours after eating the omelette, and I showed a medium purple!! (hooray!)
Sometimes you have to make the best choice under the circumstances. I often order and omelette and a salad when eating out. It sounds like you were still in ketosis so you made a good choice. It may be that the extra calories come from the fat that the omelette was cooked in.

Quote:
That does bring me to a question, though... is it ever possible for Ketostix to show a false positive? Or if it's showing even just a "trace," you definitely are in ketosis to some degree?
I don't think they can show a false positive but the urine ketone strips measure a different ketone than the blood ones. Jimmy Moore tracked the urine and blood ketones for a while but there didn't seem to be a reliable relationship between the two.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #118
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: risajs
Hi folks. I've been lurking for a few days since Jimmy Moore turned me on to your site. I was looking for some other women who were attempting a ketosis WOE. I've been following a Paleo diet for several years and toying with ketosis. I tracked serum ketones for a month then went back to a regular low-carb diet to see if I noted the same weekly fluctuations while just doing low-carb. But, I pretty much dropped out of ketosis immediately, so it's back to the bacon and whipped cream!

I became serious about my diet after my father died of colon cancer in 2009 and a colonoscopy detected precancerous polyps in my colon when I was 42 (47 now). Since switching to Paleo, I've had clean scans. Then this past March, after about 30 years on the pill and having evidently developed uterine fibroids, I began hemorrhaging while on a college visiting tour with my son. Long story short - by the time we came home and I went to my gyn the next day, he admitted me to the hospital and was astounded that I was still conscious and not on the verge of organ failure. After all the bleeding I had lost 65% of my red blood cells. I think the only thing that kept me alive was the fact that my remaining cells were extraordinarily healthy thanks to my diet.

So, now I am following a ketosis diet again. I feel great on it even though my levels have not been very high. The only downside is having to go to the bathroom all the time. I lost about 4 lbs during the month I tried it, and gained 2 back in the 2 weeks I went off. This time I am incorporating more CO and expect to receive MCT oil in the mail tomorrow. I anticipate that will make a difference.

I teach psychology at a university in Kansas City and have found my Health Psych students are extremely receptive to an ancestral health approach. Most are not quite ready to adopt a ketosis WOE, but have switched to a primal or paleo approach. It is VERY rewarding when they come to me to share stories about how they've counseled their relatives to change up their eating habits and they are now off diabetes medications, or have decreased their joint pain, etc. Now, if I could just get my mom to make a few more changes.

Anyway, I just thought I'd chime in since you all seem like such an extraordinary group of folks and seem very supportive of one another.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:55 AM   #119
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
Start Date: 10/24/12
Welcom risajs! I am selectively enthusiastic with whom I share my woe with..
not everyone gets it unfortunately. However, my mom- who has always believed in low carb eating but not always practiced it is hugely supportive and slowly making more positive changes in her diet. Also, my sister who always ate high carb and someone who i never had a ton in common found NK on her own w/out my knowing. It is great! We finally have this in common and we are getting closer bc of it.
On a separate note, ever since adopting paleo, my regularity (ahem, bm's) have been a pain in my ars...literally. In the beginning, and throughout my strict standard paleo woe, took magnesium, plus extra Vit C...but neither helped much. Since changing to NK, my digestive problems have dramatically improved ! I can only attribute it to the major increase in fat...kinda got things moving. For the first time in years, i have regular, well formed, productive, and good colored BM's! Sorry if it's TMI....but hey, i feel gooooood :-)
Old 11-06-2012, 04:12 AM   #120
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Sometimes you have to make the best choice under the circumstances. I often order and omelette and a salad when eating out. It sounds like you were still in ketosis so you made a good choice. It may be that the extra calories come from the fat that the omelette was cooked in.

I don't think they can show a false positive but the urine ketone strips measure a different ketone than the blood ones. Jimmy Moore tracked the urine and blood ketones for a while but there didn't seem to be a reliable relationship between the two.
Thanks for the reassurance. We only go to the Cheesecake Factory about once every three months when I have to have my clinical trial checkup, so it's good to know I have at least one safe thing I can order there!

I was seriously looking at the Nova ketone meter supplies online last night...but I really hate the idea of pricking my own finger. I could probably handle it if someone else were doing it that I trusted to do it correctly. I guess for now I'll stick with the urine strips while they're still changing color and making me happy.
Closed Thread