Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 07:23 PM   #961
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
I wanted to let you all know that I've thought about this a lot and I just don't think I can keep up with a long monthly thread any more. I really enjoy the interaction with everyone and I hope that the loss of this ongoing thread doesn't stop that!

It's been made clear to me that my opinion isn't welcome in the other thread so I intend to just hang out in the main NK forum. I'm still trying to use NK and resistance training to change my body composition and continue maintenance so I'm not going anywhere.

Feel free to PM me anytime if you don't want to post something publicly.

You guys are awesome!
I obviously don't post much but I've read every word since you first started.
I've long thought you were quite selfless in helping others understand how YOU understood NK. I liked it when you & Rebecca Latham would have discussions and hammer out ideas.

All you have done is so instructive.

Just a thank you from me - 8 pounds from goal but still working out some hormone issues and I'll be patient until that gets accomplished.

Your experience will be a great teacher for a long time to come, I am sure.

Thank you, Kristn!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #962
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
STOP, QUIT whatever you are doing Shelley and go find me that recipe, that sounds perfect, toss, turn on, walk away = spiced pecans! Purrrfect for lazy me!
I'm so sorry....I was off the computer for a long time today. Had to go through my files to find it...haven't made them since Dec. 09! But here it is. I'm going to make them again too now!!!!! 3 years later. ha ha I'm going to use the walden farms pancake syrup instead of maple syrup and see how that works. Enjoy!!! (but don't eat too many)

Maple-Glazed Nuts

4-6 cups walnuts/pecans
2 t ground cinnamon
4 T butter, melted
1/4 t salt
2 t vanilla
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 ml liquid stevia

Melt the butter in the crockpot, add everything else and stir till well coated. Cover and cook nuts on low heat for half an hour, then stir, continue cooking without cover, stirring every 15 minutes or so, till nuts are dry, usually about 2 hours total.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:52 PM   #963
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: One maur time
WOE: Atkins, lchf, nk
Start Date: 01/15/2011
Quote:
I encourage people to start threads of interest in the Nutritional Ketosis area: Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb - Low Carb Friends

When you start a thread post a link here to make sure that we don't miss the start of a new thread!!

Here's the resistance training in NK thread: Nutritional Ketosis and Resistance Training

I'm very excited to report that my dunk results this morning are in: In 3 months I went from 26.3%BF to 23.5%BF, losing 5 pounds of fat and gaining 2.2 pounds of LBM!
Dear Kristn
That is fabulous. Congratulations!
Maureen
Old 12-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #964
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
I'm so sorry....I was off the computer for a long time today. Had to go through my files to find it...haven't made them since Dec. 09! But here it is. I'm going to make them again too now!!!!! 3 years later. ha ha I'm going to use the walden farms pancake syrup instead of maple syrup and see how that works. Enjoy!!! (but don't eat too many)

Maple-Glazed Nuts

4-6 cups walnuts/pecans
2 t ground cinnamon
4 T butter, melted
1/4 t salt
2 t vanilla
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 ml liquid stevia

Melt the butter in the crockpot, add everything else and stir till well coated. Cover and cook nuts on low heat for half an hour, then stir, continue cooking without cover, stirring every 15 minutes or so, till nuts are dry, usually about 2 hours total.
Thanks dear friend
Old 12-02-2012, 01:50 AM   #965
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tablis
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Quote:
I wanted to let you all know that I've thought about this a lot and I just don't think I can keep up with a long monthly thread any more. I really enjoy the interaction with everyone and I hope that the loss of this ongoing thread doesn't stop that!

It's been made clear to me that my opinion isn't welcome in the other thread so I intend to just hang out in the main NK forum. I'm still trying to use NK and resistance training to change my body composition and continue maintenance so I'm not going anywhere.

You guys are awesome!
Thanks for all that you have done for us see you in the main NK forum!
Old 12-02-2012, 01:55 AM   #966
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tablis
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
Kristn-
Also, I just read Volek and Phinney's performance book and found some discrepancies between what I have read on these forums and their suggestions in the book- one really sticking out. They suggest in their book that one should be getting between 0.6-1.0 g of protein for every pound of LBM (not up to 1.5 as I had heard). Did I misread something in their book that I'm missing? If so, then I'll need to adjust my protein consumption.
Another thing that was clarified in the book, and I vaguely remember you discussing this Kristn- that until we are at goal weight, we should limit our fat consumption- not low, but lower than the typical 80-85% (which is what I have been getting)- b/c otherwise we are burning only dietary fat. Kristn, did you find this to be true? You had to lower your fat consumption while you were trying to lose? I guess eventually I will- but not quite ready to do that yet.
The things you mention above as well as calorie consumed are the points where the difference lies between the approaches of the two NK threads.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:37 AM   #967
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Quote:

You guys are awesome!
You also are awesome! I appreciate all the guidance you have given. Since beginning this WOE I have read consistantly in both threads and think the difference basically gives one a way to consider when adjusting their own woe to find "the sweet spot". I am also reading some NK authors outside of the ones outlined here. Too soon to tell what will work for me, yet, but am happy to see the scale at least creeping back down to my set point even at higher calories so THINK I am close to being adapted. Also, possibly a good sign, I think I have a few symptoms of Atkins flu, though nothing severe. Please keep posting. See you in the forum.

AIM challenge
Old 12-02-2012, 06:45 AM   #968
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Kirstin!what was your fat -% while you was losing? Do you think 85% is to high to lose weight?
Old 12-02-2012, 08:01 AM   #969
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: One maur time
WOE: Atkins, lchf, nk
Start Date: 01/15/2011
Quote:
I encourage people to start threads of interest in the Nutritional Ketosis area: Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb - Low Carb Friends

When you start a thread post a link here to make sure that we don't miss the start of a new thread!!

Here's the resistance training in NK thread: Nutritional Ketosis and Resistance Training

I'm very excited to report that my dunk results this morning are in: In 3 months I went from 26.3%BF to 23.5%BF, losing 5 pounds of fat and gaining 2.2 pounds of LBM!
Quote:

You guys are awesome!
Dear Kristn
Thanks for all the effort you put into these threads. I have enjoyed your insights and your generosity in trying to help those of us trying to decipher NK succeed!
Maureen
Old 12-02-2012, 08:19 AM   #970
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
I obviously don't post much but I've read every word since you first started.
I've long thought you were quite selfless in helping others understand how YOU understood NK. I liked it when you & Rebecca Latham would have discussions and hammer out ideas.
I miss Rebecca on this thread! She was so no nonsense.

Quote:
All you have done is so instructive.

Just a thank you from me - 8 pounds from goal but still working out some hormone issues and I'll be patient until that gets accomplished.

Your experience will be a great teacher for a long time to come, I am sure.

Thank you, Kristn!
You're welcome. I'm so glad to hear that you've been so successful!
Old 12-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #971
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
You also are awesome! I appreciate all the guidance you have given. Since beginning this WOE I have read consistantly in both threads and think the difference basically gives one a way to consider when adjusting their own woe to find "the sweet spot". I am also reading some NK authors outside of the ones outlined here. Too soon to tell what will work for me, yet, but am happy to see the scale at least creeping back down to my set point even at higher calories so THINK I am close to being adapted. Also, possibly a good sign, I think I have a few symptoms of Atkins flu, though nothing severe. Please keep posting. See you in the forum.
Cici--I'm glad to hear that you're seeing success. You should post on the NK forum about the authors you've been reading. I love the idea of book discussions. This WOE is in its infancy and the more information the better!
Old 12-02-2012, 08:29 AM   #972
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Kirstin!what was your fat -% while you was losing? Do you think 85% is to high to lose weight?
Hi Becky,
When I was losing I was between 68% and 75%. But I don't think there's any one percentage that works for weight-loss. If you can lose eating 85% fat and you like what you're eating that's awesome--keep doing what works! I truly believe in personalized nutrition and that everyone needs to experiment to find their sweet spot. If you've been keeping records look back on when you were losing the best and then use that as a blueprint going forward. Tweak as needed.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #973
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by One maur time View Post
Dear Kristn
Thanks for all the effort you put into these threads. I have enjoyed your insights and your generosity in trying to help those of us trying to decipher NK succeed!
Maureen
Thanks Maureen!
Old 12-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #974
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Cici, I agree, please post about any other books or authors you run across on NK. I would love to read other books on it.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #975
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Thanks dear friend
You are most welcome.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:30 AM   #976
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: butterball
hello everyone !
Ivbe been lurking and reading since finding this thread .I'm at page 14 of Novemeb ers threads so a way to go.
I wondered if i can get some help on a bacon problem and ******. I roughly track my intake to make sure the equations are about right.
Ive recently found a source of the most scrumptious home cured bacon ,the best I have found for decades (she drools )
However Ive no idea how to enter it on fit day. This morning I took of the lean ( dedicated aint i ?)and weighed that and the fat .(90 gms of bacon split down into 25gms lean and 65gms of fat , so I entered the lean but can only find 'pork fat rendered' or soemthing similar. Doing it this was has bumped brekky up to
Kcals 627
fat 66
carbs 1
protein 7
Can anyone see a better way of doing this?
Logging the bacon in this way put my total fat in take yesterday to 90% . I was feeeling a tad sickly last night and this is perhaps why.
Great work everyone.Now I'll go b ack to poage 14 and continue .
Thanks

Last edited by butterball; 12-06-2012 at 12:32 AM..
Old 12-06-2012, 06:14 AM   #977
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterball View Post
hello everyone !
Ivbe been lurking and reading since finding this thread .I'm at page 14 of Novemeb ers threads so a way to go.
I wondered if i can get some help on a bacon problem and ******. I roughly track my intake to make sure the equations are about right.
Ive recently found a source of the most scrumptious home cured bacon ,the best I have found for decades (she drools )
However Ive no idea how to enter it on fit day. This morning I took of the lean ( dedicated aint i ?)and weighed that and the fat .(90 gms of bacon split down into 25gms lean and 65gms of fat , so I entered the lean but can only find 'pork fat rendered' or soemthing similar. Doing it this was has bumped brekky up to
Kcals 627
fat 66
carbs 1
protein 7
Can anyone see a better way of doing this?
Logging the bacon in this way put my total fat in take yesterday to 90% . I was feeeling a tad sickly last night and this is perhaps why.
Great work everyone.Now I'll go b ack to poage 14 and continue .
Thanks
Hey Butterball! to Low Carb Friends and NK!

I've sort of stopped continuing this long monthly thread because we have an actual space on the forum: Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb - Low Carb Friends.

You can post questions there and not have to dig through a long thread to get the answers. There may be other posts of interest there also. Please come join us!

And I don't have an answer to your question. I'd just weigh the bacon after cooking and use that number with "bacon, cooked" to get an estimate for your logging. It's an inexact science to be sure! If you log based on pre-cooked weight you will get a higher amount of fat since a lot of it will be lost in cooking.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 01-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #978
Major LCF Poster!

The monthly nutritional ketosis thread is back here: January Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?

Please come join us!
Closed Thread