Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #931
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: manuela_w
Stats: 262/240/220
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: November 2012
anyone have any recipes for high fat salad dressings with no olive oil?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2012, 05:52 PM   #932
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnstrungHarp View Post
I've heard so many people say this by now, maybe I should start taking it really seriously! I was just getting ready to do my scheduled workout for today and realized that every muscle I have is already incredibly sore. Probably a good sign to take an unscheduled rest day. It's just so hard to get past the idea that it's a "wasted" day when I skip a workout.

Oh well, I'll just eat my bacon and eggs and try to forget about it!
I hope your rest day went well. It's not wasted at all, our bodies must recover to build new muscle. I was so addicted to exercise that if I couldn't work out one day I would reduce my food by one half. At times now, when I look back I wonder how I lived through the torture I put my body through. Then I am again amazed at how incredible our bodies are!
Old 11-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #933
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Buffy.....I didn't like CO in my coffee and got a bottle of MCT oil. I'm on my 2nd bottle of the stuff and love it. It just makes it that much "creamier" like there is more HWC in it....no flavor addition at all (my opinion). I really like the stuff and am anxious to try making mayo with it and the other oils (1/3 each of macadamia, MCT and light olive).
Let us know how the mayo comes out, I think I want to try this stuff.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:02 PM   #934
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
I think that having another scan in 6 months would be enlightening. While it might take a year to get to your goals, the scan would give you great information. You really want to know that you're doing the right things and it's hard to tell without that information. That's why I'm going to get dunked tomorrow morning even though it's only been 3 months. If what I'm doing isn't getting me to my goals (even if I only see a tiny change) I'll need to revise my plan.
Good luck with the dunk! Will be interested in the changes it may show. Exciting!
Old 11-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #935
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuela_w View Post
I make one with walnut oil, italian seasonings, red wine vinegar. If we want it creamy I will add sour cream.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #936
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by manuela_w View Post
I make a vinaigrette with walnut oil and olive oil - obv you could omit the olive oil.

BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE DRESSING
(Beyond Parsley; Libby Pence)
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice (I've increased to juice of 1/2 lemon)
3/4 cup oil (combine virgin olive,
salad oil, walnut oil, French peanut oil)
1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard (I’ve increased to 2tsp)
1-2 cloves minced garlic
salt and pepper to taste
Refrigerate. May be made several days ahead.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:14 AM   #937
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
I hope your rest day went well. It's not wasted at all, our bodies must recover to build new muscle. I was so addicted to exercise that if I couldn't work out one day I would reduce my food by one half. At times now, when I look back I wonder how I lived through the torture I put my body through. Then I am again amazed at how incredible our bodies are!
Yes, my rest day was nice....the only negative (other than psychological) was it seemed like I couldn't get sleepy at bedtime. It could have been totally unrelated.

I've noticed something, though. A while back, I moved my "half" dose of magnesium (a dose is 400mg, according to the bottle) to dinner time rather than lunch time when I take most of my other vitamins and supplements. I take a couple of other medications with food at dinner time so it was easier to remember to add the magnesium then, rather than try to remember to take it right before bed. What I've experienced is a sleepy feeling that hits maybe 2 or 3 hours after dinner rather than 9:30 or 10, which is when I'd rather go to bed. (Yes, I eat kind of an early dinner!) If I continue to stay up, usually sitting on the couch reading a book, the feeling passes and I feel less sleepy at bedtime than I did at 7 or 8pm. I wonder if that could be due to the magnesium timing??

Even though I was still unusually sore yesterday, I went ahead with my scheduled cardio "Beast" workout so I wouldn't get more than one day behind. It was very tough, and I wimped out on some of the exercises, but I still felt like I got a great workout. Today is "just" shoulders, though my upper body still (!!) feels a little sore from the earlier workouts this week. Then, tomorrow (Sunday) is always a rest day.

Here's another activity-related question to ponder. Regarding the advice mentioned in this thread that came from Mark Sisson (lift heavy things 1-2x a week, sprint/HIIT 1x a week, low-level activity every day)...I stand up all day while I work at my computer, except for when I eat and maybe one additional sit-down break in the afternoon, if possible. And then I sit in the living room during the evenings...maybe 6pm-ish until bedtime (I used to sit on the couch with my laptop all day and hated it because I felt like I was chained down and couldn't break free to even go to the bathroom....I stay extremely busy with work on most days!). The question is, would standing all day count as low-level activity? I don't stand perfectly still, I move around and occasionally do some leg stretches, all while keeping my hands on the laptop (ha ha). I do see some ankle swelling happen on particularly busy days when I didn't sit as often as I should have. I don't want to stand all day if that's just as bad as sitting all day, but I really like that pleasantly tired feeling of "man, it feels good to sit down!!" in the evenings.

I think next time I have questions, I will post a new thread, like Kristn mentioned, since now it's December!!
Old 12-01-2012, 07:54 AM   #938
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnstrungHarp View Post
Yes, my rest day was nice....the only negative (other than psychological) was it seemed like I couldn't get sleepy at bedtime. It could have been totally unrelated.

I've noticed something, though. A while back, I moved my "half" dose of magnesium (a dose is 400mg, according to the bottle) to dinner time rather than lunch time when I take most of my other vitamins and supplements. I take a couple of other medications with food at dinner time so it was easier to remember to add the magnesium then, rather than try to remember to take it right before bed. What I've experienced is a sleepy feeling that hits maybe 2 or 3 hours after dinner rather than 9:30 or 10, which is when I'd rather go to bed. (Yes, I eat kind of an early dinner!) If I continue to stay up, usually sitting on the couch reading a book, the feeling passes and I feel less sleepy at bedtime than I did at 7 or 8pm. I wonder if that could be due to the magnesium timing??
I take magnesium 1/2 an hour before bed and I know that it's used as a sleep aid, so it could be part of what you're experiencing. Why not take it later for a week and see if it makes a difference.

Quote:
Even though I was still unusually sore yesterday, I went ahead with my scheduled cardio "Beast" workout so I wouldn't get more than one day behind. It was very tough, and I wimped out on some of the exercises, but I still felt like I got a great workout. Today is "just" shoulders, though my upper body still (!!) feels a little sore from the earlier workouts this week. Then, tomorrow (Sunday) is always a rest day.
That first week of any new program is usually a killer! It sounds like you're listening to your body, doing what you can and resting when you need to!

Quote:
Here's another activity-related question to ponder. Regarding the advice mentioned in this thread that came from Mark Sisson (lift heavy things 1-2x a week, sprint/HIIT 1x a week, low-level activity every day)...I stand up all day while I work at my computer, except for when I eat and maybe one additional sit-down break in the afternoon, if possible. And then I sit in the living room during the evenings...maybe 6pm-ish until bedtime (I used to sit on the couch with my laptop all day and hated it because I felt like I was chained down and couldn't break free to even go to the bathroom....I stay extremely busy with work on most days!). The question is, would standing all day count as low-level activity? I don't stand perfectly still, I move around and occasionally do some leg stretches, all while keeping my hands on the laptop (ha ha). I do see some ankle swelling happen on particularly busy days when I didn't sit as often as I should have. I don't want to stand all day if that's just as bad as sitting all day, but I really like that pleasantly tired feeling of "man, it feels good to sit down!!" in the evenings.
I would say that standing to work is definitely low-level activity! I have a mostly sedentary job, but I count my 3 mile round trip walk from the bus, using the stairs instead of the elevator (with one 10 story double-step round every day I'm at work) as low-level activity. Really anything other than just sitting all day counts in my book.

Quote:
I think next time I have questions, I will post a new thread, like Kristn mentioned, since now it's December!!
I think I'm going to start a thread about NK and resistance training!
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 12-01-2012, 08:06 AM   #939
Major LCF Poster!

I encourage people to start threads of interest in the Nutritional Ketosis area: Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb - Low Carb Friends

When you start a thread post a link here to make sure that we don't miss the start of a new thread!!

Here's the resistance training in NK thread: Nutritional Ketosis and Resistance Training

I'm very excited to report that my dunk results this morning are in: In 3 months I went from 26.3%BF to 23.5%BF, losing 5 pounds of fat and gaining 2.2 pounds of LBM!
Old 12-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #940
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tablis
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Quote:
I encourage people to start threads of interest in the Nutritional Ketosis area: Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb - Low Carb Friends

When you start a thread post a link here to make sure that we don't miss the start of a new thread!!

Here's the resistance training in NK thread: Nutritional Ketosis and Resistance Training

I'm very excited to report that my dunk results this morning are in: In 3 months I went from 26.3%BF to 23.5%BF, losing 5 pounds of fat and gaining 2.2 pounds of LBM!
That is AWESOME! So happy to hear!!

as far as the threads... I'm confused, is there going to be a DEC version of this?
Old 12-01-2012, 08:25 AM   #941
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablis View Post
That is AWESOME! So happy to hear!!

as far as the threads... I'm confused, is there going to be a DEC version of this?
Yesterday I posted this about whether or not to continue this thread in December.

I don't know if there's a reason to have two monthly threads. I think that it causes confusion and it's really hard to find answers to specific questions. Having individual topic threads in the forum with a single monthly "chat" thread seems pretty reasonable. But if people think there's a reason to start this thread up again for December I'm not against it. Since I started this whole long thread in July I've felt responsible for continuing it every month, but it doesn't have to be me. I'm happy to hand off that responsibility to someone else if they're up for it.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:28 AM   #942
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
They both help me a lot!!
Old 12-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #943
Major LCF Poster!

For those of us testing blood ketones I started this thread to record results and discuss: Testing Blood Ketones? Post your results here!
Old 12-01-2012, 09:35 AM   #944
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I think that the only way to know is to keep records and see if it makes a difference over time. Unfortunately it seems that being in ketosis doesn't guarantee weight-loss, you can be burning dietary fat for fuel in ketosis and not lose at all. I think what it does say is that you have easier access to your fat stores when you go into deficit which I think (this is just a guess) may help with hunger and then lead to weight-loss. When you're a sugar burner and your fuel gets low you get really hungry, but when you've switched over to fat burning your body has a large store of fuel ready and available at any time.
I wonder about thisand can't wait until this is all figured out.And I'm looking forward to getting my ketone meter. I only wish that I had the $ to test every day.

buffy one thing I noticed along time ago even when just doing atkins is that the more I included macadamias in my WOE the more I lost Not overdoing it of course, just remembering to have a few each day. They are expensive though.I am trying to eat an ounce a day now.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:45 AM   #945
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: brandilynn1313
WOE: Ketogenic/Nutritional Ketosis
Manuella - fats I use for salad dressings are
Macadamia nut oil
Roasted pistachio oil
Beef renderings
Pork renderings
Bacon renderings
Breakfast sausage renderings
Chickeny renderings.
MCT oil
Coconut oil (harder if its a cold cold salad).

Quite honestly any time I cook something and I can cool it and some fatty forms cool and harden, I put those in a container themselves.

Also - a note about the crazy hunger, sometimes, in some folks, that is a function of a blood sugar swing and the way your body prods you to do something about a swing that it finds possibly dangerous (you know, in a primal body "STAY ALIVE!!" sorta way). Case in point, I woke up from a nap, ravenous. Before I eat I check my BLS and it was 85 - which typically isnt low, but my body has been having BLS issues (fastings over 110) since I screwed it up taking Ultram at the beginning of the month for pain. So, its "Normal" but to my body its WAY lower than it has been typically over the last month.

Which doesnt mean its that for everyone, but its just another option to put in the list of "could be."

Last edited by brandilynn1313; 12-01-2012 at 09:47 AM..
Old 12-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #946
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Kristn, congrats on the new, lower BF. You rock!

Tablis, I know on the price of mac nuts, wow. I do get them in bulk at our Sprouts but am waiting to see them on sale to stock up. To me, they are a perfect snack to carry in my purse. I have added brazil nuts as well after someone pointed out how low in carbs they are.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:28 AM   #947
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandilynn1313 View Post
Also - a note about the crazy hunger, sometimes, in some folks, that is a function of a blood sugar swing and the way your body prods you to do something about a swing that it finds possibly dangerous (you know, in a primal body "STAY ALIVE!!" sorta way). Case in point, I woke up from a nap, ravenous. Before I eat I check my BLS and it was 85 - which typically isnt low, but my body has been having BLS issues (fastings over 110) since I screwed it up taking Ultram at the beginning of the month for pain. So, its "Normal" but to my body its WAY lower than it has been typically over the last month.

Which doesnt mean its that for everyone, but its just another option to put in the list of "could be."
Oh, talk about hitting the nail on the head. I forget to mention this. Before I found out I had diabetes and was put on meds, I could NOT get enough to eat and COULD NOT lose weight unless I felt like I was starving. As soon as I got on the meds and my BS remained low to normal, I started losing weight and didn't feel starved at all times. Either high BS spikes or even low BS can cause hunger. When it gets low, your body signals you to eat something carby to get it back up. When it spikes, you might not feel it but you are crazy hungry. You eat, it spikes, you are hungry, you eat again, it spikes.

BTW, my weight hit an all time high of 242, I lost down on 208 just by taking my meds and having a 'normal" appetite.

Last edited by Buffy45; 12-01-2012 at 10:29 AM..
Old 12-01-2012, 10:35 AM   #948
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Kristn, congrats on the new, lower BF. You rock!

Tablis, I know on the price of mac nuts, wow. I do get them in bulk at our Sprouts but am waiting to see them on sale to stock up. To me, they are a perfect snack to carry in my purse. I have added brazil nuts as well after someone pointed out how low in carbs they are.
I eat brazil nuts too also bc they are high in selenium. btw do you eat them raw or roasted? I feel like they taste plasticy raw and I prefer roasted but I'm not sure if they lose some of the nutritional value.

You know back on my honeymoon atkins when I lost all my weight with little effort, I ate lots of nuts and meat and it was SO much fun. Then one day I got sick of nuts and meat! Suddenly all I wanted was a dang potato which is like poison for me...

I'm trying to eat little bits of nuts each days so that it doesnt happen again.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #949
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Yesterday I posted this about whether or not to continue this thread in December.

I don't know if there's a reason to have two monthly threads. I think that it causes confusion and it's really hard to find answers to specific questions. Having individual topic threads in the forum with a single monthly "chat" thread seems pretty reasonable. But if people think there's a reason to start this thread up again for December I'm not against it. Since I started this whole long thread in July I've felt responsible for continuing it every month, but it doesn't have to be me. I'm happy to hand off that responsibility to someone else if they're up for it.
Whatever you decide to do, PLEASE don't disappear, your knowledge has been invaluable. I know this must be hugely time consuming and at this point - being as you've lost all your wieght- an entirely selfless endeavor but
I selfishly hope you'll stick around!
Old 12-01-2012, 10:41 AM   #950
Big Yapper!!!!

Like you Tablis, I like nuts roasted. I know for the most healthy benefits, everything I read seems to say to eat them raw, but, I don't care for them that way. I am pretty sure if we ate everything raw it might be better for us, but I am more in the lazy, easy peasy area of life in general

Like yesterday, a friend of mine told me about this great place that had fresh, just shelled pecans. I usually buy the big bags at Sam's and the package doesn't say raw or roasted, but they are very good. So, I go by the place, the pecans look beautiful and I buy a lb. Oh my, I about spit them out, I guess they must need to be toasted, roasted, or something? I am going to go looking for a spiced pecan recipe so I can cook these or something.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #951
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Like you Tablis, I like nuts roasted. I know for the most healthy benefits, everything I read seems to say to eat them raw, but, I don't care for them that way. I am pretty sure if we ate everything raw it might be better for us, but I am more in the lazy, easy peasy area of life in general

Like yesterday, a friend of mine told me about this great place that had fresh, just shelled pecans. I usually buy the big bags at Sam's and the package doesn't say raw or roasted, but they are very good. So, I go by the place, the pecans look beautiful and I buy a lb. Oh my, I about spit them out, I guess they must need to be toasted, roasted, or something? I am going to go looking for a spiced pecan recipe so I can cook these or something.
Oh... that once happened to me. i found a yummy recipe solution on the internet someplace that was more or less like this:
mix the pecans (or almonds) with a little garlic salt and soy sauce. Roast in a low oven for about an hour mixing here and there.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #952
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:

I have a crock pot spiced pecan recipe somewhere....with spices like cinnamon and such. They were "dry" and very good. I'll have to find it for you. Toss in the crock pot, turn it on and walk away! Yum. Now I'll have to make some for myself too! forgot all about them. I did it with mixed nuts (pecans/walnuts/almonds) and probably 2-3 years ago.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #953
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Kristn, Fabulous results on the dunk test!!!!!! Just fabulous!!!!
Old 12-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #954
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I have a crock pot spiced pecan recipe somewhere....with spices like cinnamon and such. They were "dry" and very good. I'll have to find it for you. Toss in the crock pot, turn it on and walk away! Yum. Now I'll have to make some for myself too! forgot all about them. I did it with mixed nuts (pecans/walnuts/almonds) and probably 2-3 years ago.
STOP, QUIT whatever you are doing Shelley and go find me that recipe, that sounds perfect, toss, turn on, walk away = spiced pecans! Purrrfect for lazy me!
Old 12-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #955
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablis View Post
Oh... that once happened to me. i found a yummy recipe solution on the internet someplace that was more or less like this:
mix the pecans (or almonds) with a little garlic salt and soy sauce. Roast in a low oven for about an hour mixing here and there.
These sound like a great savory snack. Thanks!
Old 12-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #956
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
STOP, QUIT whatever you are doing Shelley and go find me that recipe, that sounds perfect, toss, turn on, walk away = spiced pecans! Purrrfect for lazy me!
Sounds YUMMY
Old 12-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #957
Major LCF Poster!

I wanted to let you all know that I've thought about this a lot and I just don't think I can keep up with a long monthly thread any more. I really enjoy the interaction with everyone and I hope that the loss of this ongoing thread doesn't stop that!

It's been made clear to me that my opinion isn't welcome in the other thread so I intend to just hang out in the main NK forum. I'm still trying to use NK and resistance training to change my body composition and continue maintenance so I'm not going anywhere.

Feel free to PM me anytime if you don't want to post something publicly.

You guys are awesome!
Old 12-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #958
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
Start Date: 10/24/12
Quote:
OOOhhhhh....that sounds good!! i want the recipe...wait- don't I won't be able to stop eating them!!
Old 12-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #959
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
Start Date: 10/24/12
Kristn-
Firstly- I find this thread really really helpful. I just don't want you to disappear- you and everyone on here has helped me along my journey. If you don't continue this particular thread, please just be present in some capacity!

Secondly- congrats on the dunk tank! I have been inspired to go get a DXA scan (if i can find one locally).

Also, I just read Volek and Phinney's performance book and found some discrepancies between what I have read on these forums and their suggestions in the book- one really sticking out. They suggest in their book that one should be getting between 0.6-1.0 g of protein for every pound of LBM (not up to 1.5 as I had heard). Did I misread something in their book that I'm missing? If so, then I'll need to adjust my protein consumption.
Another thing that was clarified in the book, and I vaguely remember you discussing this Kristn- that until we are at goal weight, we should limit our fat consumption- not low, but lower than the typical 80-85% (which is what I have been getting)- b/c otherwise we are burning only dietary fat. Kristn, did you find this to be true? You had to lower your fat consumption while you were trying to lose? I guess eventually I will- but not quite ready to do that yet.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #960
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
Kristn-
Firstly- I find this thread really really helpful. I just don't want you to disappear- you and everyone on here has helped me along my journey. If you don't continue this particular thread, please just be present in some capacity!
I'm not disappearing! I am happily posting like a fiend in the main NK forum page.

Quote:
Secondly- congrats on the dunk tank! I have been inspired to go get a DXA scan (if i can find one locally).
Thanks to you, Buffy, Shelly, tablis (and anyone else I'm forgetting) for kudos on the dunk tank. I was a bit nervous, but I could tell that good things were happening. It's just great to get independent confirmation.

Quote:
Also, I just read Volek and Phinney's performance book and found some discrepancies between what I have read on these forums and their suggestions in the book- one really sticking out. They suggest in their book that one should be getting between 0.6-1.0 g of protein for every pound of LBM (not up to 1.5 as I had heard). Did I misread something in their book that I'm missing? If so, then I'll need to adjust my protein consumption.
Another thing that was clarified in the book, and I vaguely remember you discussing this Kristn- that until we are at goal weight, we should limit our fat consumption- not low, but lower than the typical 80-85% (which is what I have been getting)- b/c otherwise we are burning only dietary fat. Kristn, did you find this to be true? You had to lower your fat consumption while you were trying to lose? I guess eventually I will- but not quite ready to do that yet.
I've been singing this tune for a while. The Performance calculation is at the first page of this thread here and in another thread that I started here.

I did find that when I was losing I needed to set some limit on fat--I couldn't just eat to satiety and lose weight. In maintenance I eat within my protein range (I have to stay in the lower half) and fat to satiety as recommended in the Performance book and I probably average around 80% fat.

Once you're in ketosis it then becomes easier to lower the fat (if you need to) to lose weight. I know you can do this Sophie!
Closed Thread