Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #901
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibster View Post
Hi, everyone.
This thread just grows and grows. I can barely keep up!

I feel like such a doofus because I started the week just fine, then fell off the wagon last night - a whole 4 days in! And I paid for it with a very restless night. The good news is that I bought a new battery for my tester, so perhaps I will test over the weekend - after eating clean for a few days.

Re: homemade mayo - I've made it twice - once by hand using a whisk, slowly adding the oil. the second time I made it by putting everything into my magic bullet. The whisked version was definitely much lighter, but they both tasted wonderful. I will be making more soon.

Thought I'd pass along a couple of things for the tech geeks out there.
First, for those who weigh daily - I use an app called "True Weight". You enter your weight each day, and it plots it on a graph which shows your actual weight and your moving average over the last month, 3 months, year, etc.

My favorite place to store recipes is on Pepperplate. It's a website and an iPad app, so very easily accessible. What's great about it is you have a button on your toolbar and you can quickly add a recipe to your files. If the recipe site doesn't allow it for some reason, you can simply do a copy/paste into the program. You can even share recipes with other Pepperplate friends.

Also, one of my favorite recipe blogs/apps is Nom Nom Paleo. BTW, her iPad app is the best recipe app I have ever seen! I've used several of her recipes - including for mayonnaise.
Thanks for the info Linda. Glad you are back!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2012, 07:26 PM   #902
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Does anyone else ever feel like there is information overload on supplements?? I have the ones that I take, for varying reasons, and I've added and subtracted over the years based on recommendations, reading, tests, etc.. But I have had periods where I stopped altogether because I couldn't discern any difference and I couldn't figure out what recommendations to follow!
Yep Kristin! It's a lot of opinions out there. I have three resources I use now, period. They generally agree on what kinds, vary a teensy bit on dosages. I only go to reputable MD/health science resources. The main stream media has killed vitamins this past year, such a ridiculous thing!
Old 11-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #903
Senior LCF Member

going to repost from other thread:

I have a report on the Saliva Test! Wow, it was worth it. I was low in every single hormone area, so I have a patch, two different compounded capsules, and a "fancy" new supplement. Apparently my adrenals are not functioning at anywhere near normal. I am literally jumping for joy! The lab report had several pages of resulting, and all my symptoms of weight stall, gain in hips, etc....were directly related! I have hope of ending this stall. My sweet PharmD joked about some of the low levels! Wondered how I got up in the morning. I was just smiling. So for all the late 40s and early 50s, or post-meno women, you may want to consider this test.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #904
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: One maur time
WOE: Atkins, lchf, nk
Start Date: 01/15/2011
Dear Linda
I have made the homemade mayonaise with the recipe from nom nom paleo. Her recipes and app are the best! Plus she is hysterical!
Maureen
Old 11-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #905
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post

I have a report on the Saliva Test! Wow, it was worth it. I was low in every single hormone area, so I have a patch, two different compounded capsules, and a "fancy" new supplement. Apparently my adrenals are not functioning at anywhere near normal. I am literally jumping for joy! The lab report had several pages of resulting, and all my symptoms of weight stall, gain in hips, etc....were directly related! I have hope of ending this stall. My sweet PharmD joked about some of the low levels! Wondered how I got up in the morning. I was just smiling. So for all the late 40s and early 50s, or post-meno women, you may want to consider this test.
So excited to see how these things work for you. Very interested.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:38 AM   #906
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tablis
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Field trip!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-30-2012, 06:09 AM   #907
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Morning.
Picked up some macadmia nuts on Tuesday, I hadn't had any in quite a while and love them and feel they are a good source of fat. Anyway, I had some that night and was interested to see that my ketones the next morning were 1.8, when I usually get 1.0 or so. Ate some again last night, before bed and this morning my ketones were 2.0. So, it looks like that fat, or even more fat than usual and I usually eat a lot of fat, raised the ketone level. Now, would that mean I would be more apt to lose weight, or, is it just a measurement of dietary fat in my system? So many questions, wish we had all the answers. I haven't been logging my food so don't have my totals for the day to compare. My weight was up a lb but I don't pay too much attention to daily weight fluctuations, they go up and down all week long.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:11 AM   #908
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnstrungHarp View Post
I've heard so many people say this by now, maybe I should start taking it really seriously! I was just getting ready to do my scheduled workout for today and realized that every muscle I have is already incredibly sore. Probably a good sign to take an unscheduled rest day. It's just so hard to get past the idea that it's a "wasted" day when I skip a workout.

Oh well, I'll just eat my bacon and eggs and try to forget about it!
Quote:
Ha ha ha - I just have to look past the name and the marketing style of the Body Beast workout system...it's so corny and over-the-top! I have no desire to become a "beast" - and I'm not even sure I am terribly interested in gaining much lean muscle mass at all, now that I've had that DEXA scan. I have about 88 pounds of lean muscle, which sounds pretty good for my height (5' 3"). I really just want to lose a great deal of the 50-something pounds of fat I'm also carrying around! I'd like to go from my current 37.1% body fat to no more than 20% without losing much (if any) lean muscle.

About my calories, they haven't been very low on most days during the past month (I started NK on Nov. 1 - exactly 4 weeks ago). Looks like I'm averaging about 1900. I've had some oddball days where I only had 1400-1500, but more often than not I've had slightly over 2000. I may need to keep a closer eye on that and ensure that it stays under 2000. I'm pretty sure that my protein and carb intake is where it should be each day, so the daily calorie variance is primarily coming from fat. I just scrolled back through my food log and saw that only 3 days during the past month did my protein intake exceed 90g (just by a gram or two), and most days it goes no higher than 80g. A few days, it was only in the 50s or 60s. As for carbs, I decided to set my limit at 30g total and on most days I find that it ends up being less than 25g total.

Thanks for your input!

----
Lindsay
Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't know for sure....I haven't had the courage to get out the tape measure in quite a while.

But I just looked up a calculator online that only required gender, age, height, weight, and waist measurement (I estimated based on what it was last time I checked), and it said 32%. I definitely like that better than 37.1%, but I'm sure the DEXA is much more accurate, since it takes into account hips and thighs....where I carry most of the fat.
Lindsay--It seems like you're working on the right things. It's hard to step back and evaluate if what you're doing is working when you feel so good from doing it. We each have to find the place where we feel good from exercise and are actually making progress to our goals.

I think maintaining LBM while losing fat is a great goal. With 88 pounds of LBM and 20% BF that's a goal weight of 110 lb--is that correct?
Old 11-30-2012, 06:14 AM   #909
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post

! Isn't it great to get some answers and a place to work from? I'm sure that getting your hormones figured out is the first step out of your stall!
Old 11-30-2012, 06:18 AM   #910
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibster View Post
Hi, everyone.
This thread just grows and grows. I can barely keep up!

I feel like such a doofus because I started the week just fine, then fell off the wagon last night - a whole 4 days in! And I paid for it with a very restless night. The good news is that I bought a new battery for my tester, so perhaps I will test over the weekend - after eating clean for a few days.
Thanks for checking back in! It can be a big change so it's no surprise that there are bumps in the road. Good luck with your first foray into testing.

Quote:
Thought I'd pass along a couple of things for the tech geeks out there.
First, for those who weigh daily - I use an app called "True Weight". You enter your weight each day, and it plots it on a graph which shows your actual weight and your moving average over the last month, 3 months, year, etc.

My favorite place to store recipes is on Pepperplate. It's a website and an iPad app, so very easily accessible. What's great about it is you have a button on your toolbar and you can quickly add a recipe to your files. If the recipe site doesn't allow it for some reason, you can simply do a copy/paste into the program. You can even share recipes with other Pepperplate friends.

Also, one of my favorite recipe blogs/apps is Nom Nom Paleo. BTW, her iPad app is the best recipe app I have ever seen! I've used several of her recipes - including for mayonnaise.

Thanks for the tips!
Old 11-30-2012, 06:25 AM   #911
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Morning.
Picked up some macadmia nuts on Tuesday, I hadn't had any in quite a while and love them and feel they are a good source of fat. Anyway, I had some that night and was interested to see that my ketones the next morning were 1.8, when I usually get 1.0 or so. Ate some again last night, before bed and this morning my ketones were 2.0. So, it looks like that fat, or even more fat than usual and I usually eat a lot of fat, raised the ketone level. Now, would that mean I would be more apt to lose weight, or, is it just a measurement of dietary fat in my system? So many questions, wish we had all the answers. I haven't been logging my food so don't have my totals for the day to compare. My weight was up a lb but I don't pay too much attention to daily weight fluctuations, they go up and down all week long.
I think that the only way to know is to keep records and see if it makes a difference over time. Unfortunately it seems that being in ketosis doesn't guarantee weight-loss, you can be burning dietary fat for fuel in ketosis and not lose at all. I think what it does say is that you have easier access to your fat stores when you go into deficit which I think (this is just a guess) may help with hunger and then lead to weight-loss. When you're a sugar burner and your fuel gets low you get really hungry, but when you've switched over to fat burning your body has a large store of fuel ready and available at any time.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 11-30-2012, 06:55 AM   #912
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Today is day 8. Other than one day with everything just over the high end of my calculations, I have been on track. No Atkins flu or other nasty symptoms other than one major bloat attack, probably from too many fat bombs. Think I notice a subtle increase in focused energy today. Already have more done than usual. Not as hungry this morning as usual. Made me think I might try a meat and egg DD to create a calorie deficit. Maybe get this fat burning started. Feeling pretty relaxed and non-committal about it though.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:22 AM   #913
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
! Isn't it great to get some answers and a place to work from? I'm sure that getting your hormones figured out is the first step out of your stall!
Yes Kristn, I have not felt this way in a long time. You feel you are "nuts" at times and just not "right"....I am going to study the report and see what all the components break out to for nutrition/weight loss. But for now, I am just smiling!
Old 11-30-2012, 07:39 AM   #914
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:
Lindsay--It seems like you're working on the right things. It's hard to step back and evaluate if what you're doing is working when you feel so good from doing it. We each have to find the place where we feel good from exercise and are actually making progress to our goals.

I think maintaining LBM while losing fat is a great goal. With 88 pounds of LBM and 20% BF that's a goal weight of 110 lb--is that correct?
Yikes, 110 does sound a little low and unrealistic to me! But I just did the math and that's what I came up with, too. I had been thinking that seeing 120 on the scale would be a nice goal to strive for, so maybe that means gaining some lean body mass would be okay.

Let's see...if I stick with 120 lbs with 20% BF as my goal, that's 24 lbs of fat and 96 lbs of LBM. Therefore, gaining 8 lbs of LBM would be acceptable after all.

It also sounds like I'm probably going to have to accept the fact that the kind of change I'm talking about may not happen in six months. I was thinking of going for another DEXA scan in six months, but it might even take a year or more to lose at least 25 lbs of fat and gain 8 lbs of LBM. But as long as I'm somewhat closer to my goal in six months, I won't beat myself up too hard about it.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #915
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjikun View Post
Of course Pavel would say that kettlebell swings are the key to cutting fat. Have you heard of Pavel??? There are a lot of Pavelites on the Dragon Door forum, in case you are interested in kettlebells.
This made me smile, and I hope that it's true. I work out at an RKC studio and although I have never seen the man, I hear things from the trainers about "if Pavel were here..." all the time.

My DH and I affectionately call the owner QOM, which stands for Queen of Mean. No slacking or losing form around her. It's actually awesome and I feel better than I have in ages.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:46 AM   #916
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Yikes, 110 does sound a little low and unrealistic to me! But I just did the math and that's what I came up with, too. I had been thinking that seeing 120 on the scale would be a nice goal to strive for, so maybe that means gaining some lean body mass would be okay.

Let's see...if I stick with 120 lbs with 20% BF as my goal, that's 24 lbs of fat and 96 lbs of LBM. Therefore, gaining 8 lbs of LBM would be acceptable after all.

It also sounds like I'm probably going to have to accept the fact that the kind of change I'm talking about may not happen in six months. I was thinking of going for another DEXA scan in six months, but it might even take a year or more to lose at least 25 lbs of fat and gain 8 lbs of LBM. But as long as I'm somewhat closer to my goal in six months, I won't beat myself up too hard about it.
I think that having another scan in 6 months would be enlightening. While it might take a year to get to your goals, the scan would give you great information. You really want to know that you're doing the right things and it's hard to tell without that information. That's why I'm going to get dunked tomorrow morning even though it's only been 3 months. If what I'm doing isn't getting me to my goals (even if I only see a tiny change) I'll need to revise my plan.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:01 AM   #917
Major LCF Poster!

Interesting discussion.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:54 AM   #918
Senior LCF Member

Sorry to keep hijacking this thread and making it all about working out!! But I do have another question that I'm hoping someone can help me with. I mentioned the other day that I had hit a new low on the scale (hooray), but that loss went away by the next day (yuck). So, basically, my weight as of today is hardly different than it was a month ago when I started NK...maybe a loss of 2 pounds at the most.

My question is related to muscle soreness and weight gain. I started that new heavy lifting workout program this week (I had been doing a different heavy lifting program before that for 3 months and followed it with a "recovery week" of just cardio/met con). I had hit my low weight right before starting the new workout system, and the scale went right back up about another pound after the first workout day. And for the past couple of days, I've been extremely sore! I read online somewhere that muscle soreness is related to temporary water weight gain while the muscles are recovering. Does anyone know if that applies when you are already glycogen-depleted from eating NK for a month (as in my case)? Not sure where the "water weight" comes from if you don't have any glycogen storage going on. I may be totally misunderstanding the process, so I'd appreciate any insight!
Old 11-30-2012, 11:57 AM   #919
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Sorry to keep hijacking this thread and making it all about working out!! But I do have another question that I'm hoping someone can help me with. I mentioned the other day that I had hit a new low on the scale (hooray), but that loss went away by the next day (yuck). So, basically, my weight as of today is hardly different than it was a month ago when I started NK...maybe a loss of 2 pounds at the most.

My question is related to muscle soreness and weight gain. I started that new heavy lifting workout program this week (I had been doing a different heavy lifting program before that for 3 months and followed it with a "recovery week" of just cardio/met con). I had hit my low weight right before starting the new workout system, and the scale went right back up about another pound after the first workout day. And for the past couple of days, I've been extremely sore! I read online somewhere that muscle soreness is related to temporary water weight gain while the muscles are recovering. Does anyone know if that applies when you are already glycogen-depleted from eating NK for a month (as in my case)? Not sure where the "water weight" comes from if you don't have any glycogen storage going on. I may be totally misunderstanding the process, so I'd appreciate any insight!
I love the exercise discussions! Not that I have an answer for you.

I used to gain when I had really sore muscles but I haven't noticed it much since starting NK. But that doesn't mean that your inexplicable gain isn't from temporary water-weight gain.

Did your strips ever arrive? It would be interesting to see how this gain and soreness relate to your state of NK.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #920
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Ok I gained 5 lbs while on vacation I did not cheat but I did eat extra cheese and nuts. I now am craving something sweet today any suggestions why this is happen to me!!
Old 11-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #921
Major LCF Poster!

Last Day of November

Hi All,
I've been posting the continuations of this thread since July but I am wondering if it should continue on in December. Do people still find it helpful? We now have a forum where people can start threads on individual subjects and there is another monthly thread.

I know that the two monthly threads have some some differences, but is it necessary to have two?

It also feels like we've lost so many people along the way--I wonder if this is really working at all? I know that it worked for me and a few others, but I really don't have a sense that it's working for lots of people.

Let me know what you all think. I'm happy to start this thread up again for December (or hand that duty off to someone who'd be willing to take it on), or just let it be and start posting and answering individual questions on the NK forum.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #922
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
I know I'm one who's recently guilty of having been lost along the way, here. I am really not eating for NK anymore since I was stalled when I was and have since maintained my loss down to 196.5 when I started eating more sugar. I had a little hop up in weight over the long holiday weekend, but it went away again within a few days. I never really was eating for NK intentionally, anyway - just was always purposely eating very low in carbs and very high in fat, and this seemed to be the area most accepting of that AND most understanding that the amount of fat I eat won't cause me to have a heart attack tomorrow

So, anyway, I fell off because I wasn't sure I really "fit" here, either. I'm having trouble finding an online "home." Most of my WLS friends don't understand that LC/HF is healthy even without surgery; they are often complaining about having to cook separate meals for other members of their families, whereas I feed my family the same way I eat because I understand it IS healthy, even if they are already healthy to begin with. I eat more protein than one seeking to be in NK, and I avoid grains completely, so I hate seeing other LC folks eating things like LC tortillas and LC breads (made with grains). I have trouble with the communities of people with babies around my son's age because they're all feeding their babies "healthy" cereals and fruits and snack "puffs," whereas I've not given my son a single grain nor sweet fruit. I think peas and carrots are the sweetest/starchiest foods he's had.

I dunno. I'm internet homeless :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandilynn1313 View Post
And am glad to see you, Jilly and MisterBaby!! I havent seen your face since before he showed his!
ha, fancy meeting you here! I just popped in here and happened to notice your name and wondered if it was the brandilynn from OvertHere and then had to scroll back to find your intro post, and...hello! I haven't posted on "the site that shall not be named" in more months than I can remember...
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)
Old 11-30-2012, 01:16 PM   #923
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Ok I gained 5 lbs while on vacation I did not cheat but I did eat extra cheese and nuts. I now am craving something sweet today any suggestions why this is happen to me!!
Because unless you prepared all your own foods during your vacation, you are experiencing restaurant food. Even plain meat and butter often has additives...whether sugar, flour dusting, etc. Very hard to avoid even with specific instructions.

Or, it was enough extra protein from the cheese and nuts to activate additional insulin to handle the load, and now that you've cut it out you are still (temporarily) producing extra insulin which does cause hunger for a bit.

Maybe a combo of both?

Just some ideas. I LOVE eating out, but hate what the scale says, even when I think I"m choosing right!
2012 lowish Optimal calories, June25th 132.6/124.6/110
Old 11-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #924
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Thanks Paula I no that but I hate it! maybe tommorrow will be better I'm tring extra fat today!
Old 11-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #925
Major LCF Poster!

As a newbie, it was very helpful that the two different approaches were clearly outlined. However, it was somewhat cumbersome to converse in either of the longggg threads. And trying to wade through all the fun chat when looking for a bit of information, also hard on the long threads. Perhaps a couple locked threads outlining the approaches, one daily chat and then more specific threads from those needing help.

As for whether it is worth it for just a few people, I can't say. The information is valuable to me. Having someone to bounce things off of who has been with it a while is valuable to me. Even having someone say it may take months for my body to adapt to this is valuable because then I can figure out how long I am willing to wait.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #926
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I love the exercise discussions! Not that I have an answer for you.

I used to gain when I had really sore muscles but I haven't noticed it much since starting NK. But that doesn't mean that your inexplicable gain isn't from temporary water-weight gain.

Did your strips ever arrive? It would be interesting to see how this gain and soreness relate to your state of NK.
Yes, I greedily sped through that first box of 10 ketone strips a while ago and am now awaiting delivery on a box of 20! I should have spread them out more, but I couldn't help testing at different times during the day to see what was going on. My "best" reading (1.6) was the first one, taken in the middle of the day a couple of hours after a meal containing about 1 tbsp of coconut oil...(cheater! ). On every test following that, I was always between .6 and 1.6. I had some readings that seemed odd to me: 1.1 first thing in the morning, then .7 at 9:30 pm. I was expecting a lower reading in the morning and higher at night. I also expected a higher reading after a workout, but I think the two times I tested post-workout, it was either the same as that morning or lower!

Anyway, I'm going to try my best to restrict my testing to early morning only, once I get my new box of 20 strips. I'm very anxious to see what happens once I pass the 6-week mark of being in ketosis. Prior to receiving my blood ketone strips, I had been using urine ketostix from the beginning, and they had showed a positive result every time (and I was using those nearly every time I went to the bathroom, not just morning!). So, I feel pretty certain that I've not been out of ketosis at all during the past month, although I can't be sure I was in "nutritional" ketosis the whole time.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #927
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Quote:
Hi All,
I've been posting the continuations of this thread since July but I am wondering if it should continue on in December. Do people still find it helpful? We now have a forum where people can start threads on individual subjects and there is another monthly thread.

I know that the two monthly threads have some some differences, but is it necessary to have two?

It also feels like we've lost so many people along the way--I wonder if this is really working at all? I know that it worked for me and a few others, but I really don't have a sense that it's working for lots of people.

Let me know what you all think. I'm happy to start this thread up again for December (or hand that duty off to someone who'd be willing to take it on), or just let it be and start posting and answering individual questions on the NK forum.

Yes, I think it should be continued. There are new people all the time and if you are new to boards, navigating LCF can be daunting.

Maybe we should start December with several threads, ie.

Welcome to NK in Dec..Intro thread. For newbies to post their intro and stats so we have a reference spot with info on history and cw/gw so we can help with questions. It helps if we know diet history, are you coming off LC, SAD, etc. how close to goal you are, age, height, gender.

What do you eat on NK, Dec. If everyone here would post what they are eating(or had planned to eat), newbies might have some clue how to change their WOE.

NK, Dec. Chat--where we can keep in touch and encourage.

If we split it up, we can get things contained to relevant topics and steer others to the right threads with links or encourage them to start a thread.

Just a thought.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #928
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
As a newbie, it was very helpful that the two different approaches were clearly outlined. However, it was somewhat cumbersome to converse in either of the longggg threads. And trying to wade through all the fun chat when looking for a bit of information, also hard on the long threads. Perhaps a couple locked threads outlining the approaches, one daily chat and then more specific threads from those needing help.

As for whether it is worth it for just a few people, I can't say. The information is valuable to me. Having someone to bounce things off of who has been with it a while is valuable to me. Even having someone say it may take months for my body to adapt to this is valuable because then I can figure out how long I am willing to wait.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
Yes, I think it should be continued. There are new people all the time and if you are new to boards, navigating LCF can be daunting.

Maybe we should start December with several threads, ie.

Welcome to NK in Dec..Intro thread. For newbies to post their intro and stats so we have a reference spot with info on history and cw/gw so we can help with questions. It helps if we know diet history, are you coming off LC, SAD, etc. how close to goal you are, age, height, gender.

What do you eat on NK, Dec. If everyone here would post what they are eating(or had planned to eat), newbies might have some clue how to change their WOE.

NK, Dec. Chat--where we can keep in touch and encourage.

If we split it up, we can get things contained to relevant topics and steer others to the right threads with links or encourage them to start a thread.

Just a thought.
I've been on LCF for so long I forget that it can be hard to navigate.

I think both of you have articulated in more detail what I was trying to get at. I would love to see more "topic" threads in the NK forum and then a single monthly chat thread for those who like to chat.

I encourage everyone to go to the main page of the forum here and start topics of interest or just ask questions.

I'm actually finding it hard to keep up with the long thread--but I try my best.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #929
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Today is day 8. Other than one day with everything just over the high end of my calculations, I have been on track. No Atkins flu or other nasty symptoms other than one major bloat attack, probably from too many fat bombs. Think I notice a subtle increase in focused energy today. Already have more done than usual. Not as hungry this morning as usual. Made me think I might try a meat and egg DD to create a calorie deficit. Maybe get this fat burning started. Feeling pretty relaxed and non-committal about it though.
Congratulations on making it 8 days! Can I ask why you're thinking about doing meat & egg DD? It seems to me that in NK we're trying to keep gluconeogenesis at its lowest and by adding more protein via meat & eggs only you might actually impede your progress in becoming a fat burner. Personally I think that if you're going to try a fast then a fat fast is probably more likely to kick start fat burning and induce stronger ketosis.

Or maybe I'm not understanding what it is your doing?
Old 11-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #930
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Congratulations on making it 8 days! Can I ask why you're thinking about doing meat & egg DD? It seems to me that in NK we're trying to keep gluconeogenesis at its lowest and by adding more protein via meat & eggs only you might actually impede your progress in becoming a fat burner. Personally I think that if you're going to try a fast then a fat fast is probably more likely to kick start fat burning and induce stronger ketosis.

Or maybe I'm not understanding what it is your doing?
Someone mentioned the egg/meat thread and I thought it was part of this. My thought was to keep calories very low but still get the minimum protein. I threw it in my calculator after posting but did not follow through with it. The DD ref. is a throwback to JUDDD. Actually, I ended the day with my protein high but everything else low so kind of a disappointment.

Thanks for the tip.
Closed Thread