Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 06:49 AM   #751
Junior LCF Member
 
MarieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 32
Gallery: MarieD
WOE: NK / low carb
Start Date: Low carb for years; NK since 8/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
ME TOO! - Buffy is a wealth of information (and fun!).

I got results from the doc yesterday and she and I decided I'm going to start bio-identical hormone treatment.

Kristn are you on hormones?
I'm on bio-identical hormones and LOVE them. I've been on them for about 2 years and currently use a combination of estriol (weakest of the estrogens), testosterone, DHEA in a cream, plus another cream with progesterone. My dr. gives me saliva tests 2x yearly to make sure I'm balanced. What I like about them is the ability to adjust the dosage at will to control my symptoms (e.g. Hot flashes and night sweats). I use the tiniest amount - half a pea 2x daily and progesterone about 2-3x weekly, one dose at night. I'm 58 and have not had a hysterectomy. I take just enough to control the symptoms; no more - if I'm feeling bloated I cut back, with the goal that an occasional hot flash is okay - usually I just feel "really hot" - so I don't take too much. I highly recommend the, but the challanges are 1) finding a dr who will prescribe (my regular gyn said they weren't proven though she had heard some women have success with them - I had to find a separate dr to get them) 2) finding a compounding pharmacy, and 3) insurance doesn't cover them in my plan (but they aren't too expensive - I had to take a lot at first to get "tanked up" as my dr puts it, now I'm on a small maintenance dose).

Great thread!! I'm in NK and love the way I feel and have lost 25 lbs since early August. It's like a whole new way of eating, really quite different than LC Atkins-style. I track everything and have to keep my calories at about 1400 or less to lose. MCT oil and CO have become my staples. I also love kelp noodles, PastaPlus noodles, and Shirataki tofu noodles as a strategy to stretch my protein portions further. I throw my protein, noodles, some veggies, fat, and a couple of wedges of laughing cow in a pan and stirfry for a bit for a great low carb lunch or dinner.
MarieD is offline  

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2012, 07:22 AM   #752
Major LCF Poster!
 
cici52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,682
Gallery: cici52
Goal Weight: 160

NK Page:
(x*(1-.18)*0.6 = 79-131

Exercise Page:
(x/2.2)*0.8 = 58
(x/2.2)*1.2 = 87
(x/2.2)*1.5 = 109
(x/2.2)*1.8 = 131

Dr. Phinney's recommendation is 1.5g/kg that results in 109g protein daily.

For a goal weight of 160 the calorie goal would be : 2545 (35kCal/kg) with a floor of 2182 (30kCal/kg - for an obese and/or very sedentary person).

This is what Reddarin was kind enough to calculate for me as a starting point. It looks like, as I am sedentary, 58 - 109g protein depending on which calculation used. The calories are far more than I am comfortable with at this stage, but I have not gained while trying to up the calories...yet. I am trying as high as 2000 until I adjust. Then see what the scale tells me and adjust from there. The fat is more difficult to get in but my current foods at home are aimed at calorie counting and meats are lowfat cuts. Once I shop again, it will be easier.

My first priority is getting the carbs out of my system since I have not done vlc in many many years. Then I will adjust. Still, don,t want to waste time doing it wrong. Need to get into ketosis as soon as possible. Today is day 2.
cici52 is offline  
Old 11-25-2012, 07:38 AM   #753
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 8,998
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Morning. Cici, looks like you got the help you needed to get going in the right direction. It is a lot to take in a t first but you will pick it up quickly.

Sophia, are you feeling more satisfied now? Hope so, at first, you just have to feed that hunger and it will slow down, but hard to believe when you are first starting.

Wow, I went to a wedding last night, drank water and diet coke, ate LC all the way, danced quite a bit and was in ketosis when I got home, but weight popped up 3 lbs on the scale this morning! I know it is temp but geez, 3 lbs! I guess my body was so unused to the dancing it is afraid I am going to dance to starvation???? LOL
__________________
Buffy
Buffy45 is online now  
Old 11-25-2012, 07:44 AM   #754
Senior LCF Member
 
sasonnier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 247
Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Buffy- That's why I can't weigh myself everyday- I would be an emotional roller coaster if I did and saw my weight fluctuate so much. I only weigh myself first thing in the morning- before eating/drinking anything, right after a BM, and at least a solid week before TOM- this is pretty hard to accomplish regularly

I am feeling more together with the food- although yesterday I ate more of everything than I typically would- so not sure how that affects the ketones. I just got the strips this weekend, so I'll be able to test more regularly and see how what I eat affects my ketone readings.
__________________
_______________
-Sophie
sasonnier is offline  
Old 11-25-2012, 07:56 AM   #755
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Goal Weight: 160

NK Page:
(x*(1-.18)*0.6 = 79-131
Hmm, it looks like this calculation is based on a goal of 18% body fat--is that your goal?

Quote:
Exercise Page:
(x/2.2)*0.8 = 58
(x/2.2)*1.2 = 87
(x/2.2)*1.5 = 109
(x/2.2)*1.8 = 131
What exercise page is this referring to?

Quote:
Dr. Phinney's recommendation is 1.5g/kg that results in 109g protein daily.
In the Performance book (which was co-authored by Dr. Phinney) they say that there is no known advantage to eating over this amount (1.5 per kilogram) and they are talking about athletes.

Quote:
For a goal weight of 160 the calorie goal would be : 2545 (35kCal/kg) with a floor of 2182 (30kCal/kg - for an obese and/or very sedentary person).
Are these amounts for maintenance? I would think that it would be hard to lose on so many calories a day. At goal (150) I am eating ~2000 to 2300 calories a day and I'm probably pushing my limit. I do not believe I would have lost weight eating at this level, but YMMV.

Quote:
This is what Reddarin was kind enough to calculate for me as a starting point. It looks like, as I am sedentary, 58 - 109g protein depending on which calculation used. The calories are far more than I am comfortable with at this stage, but I have not gained while trying to up the calories...yet. I am trying as high as 2000 until I adjust. Then see what the scale tells me and adjust from there. The fat is more difficult to get in but my current foods at home are aimed at calorie counting and meats are lowfat cuts. Once I shop again, it will be easier.
Personally I wouldn't worry about trying to get to a certain calorie level. My own experience has taught me that unless you are eating too little and exercising too much (this can slow down your metabolism) eating more (or more than you're hungry for) isn't really a useful strategy to lose weight. Most people have a "sweet spot" where they lose the best. Sadly, for some of us (especially middle-aged women) that sweet spot isn't at a very high level.

Quote:
My first priority is getting the carbs out of my system since I have not done vlc in many many years. Then I will adjust. Still, don,t want to waste time doing it wrong. Need to get into ketosis as soon as possible. Today is day 2.
This is a great strategy! Get your protein and carbs to the right level, get in ketosis, and then work on fat to fill in the calories and get to a place where you are losing. Find your "sweet spot" and stick with it and you will be successful!
__________________
Kristn
50 yo
LC since 2001
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 11-25-2012, 08:46 AM   #756
Senior LCF Member
 
NKSL55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 173
Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
So Kristn, you have not read any info either on whether higher ketones mean better weight loss? I wish someone could tell us.
Hi Buffy,

I don't think it necessarily does. Once you get above 1.5 mM BHB in the morning, that means you are strongly in ketosis.

But hey, who knows? Did you have some method for bumping your ketone levels up higher? I mean you can increase your CO intake, I guess.

Looks like your results are good thus far, though. Always nice to see results more quickly. But, don't discount what you have already accomplished...

--
Phillip
NKSL55 is offline  
Old 11-25-2012, 09:04 AM   #757
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 8,998
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnstrungHarp View Post
I just wanted to report that I hit a new low this morning (by half a pound or so, but still!). I guess that means I've lost approximately 5 pounds in a little over 3 weeks of NK.

And I'm also very excited because I'm going to have my first DEXA scan on Tuesday morning! It seems to be very hard to find a place that will make this service available to the general public without some kind of doctor being involved. But if any of you are in the Nashville, TN area, I have found a place that will do it for $95 out of pocket (no insurance involved). Not sure if I can directly mention the business here or link to it, but just send me a private message if interested.
Congrats on your new low!!!
Buffy45 is online now  
Old 11-25-2012, 09:12 AM   #758
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 8,998
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by NKSL55 View Post
Hi Buffy,

I don't think it necessarily does. Once you get above 1.5 mM BHB in the morning, that means you are strongly in ketosis.

But hey, who knows? Did you have some method for bumping your ketone levels up higher? I mean you can increase your CO intake, I guess.

Looks like your results are good thus far, though. Always nice to see results more quickly. But, don't discount what you have already accomplished...

--
Phillip
Duh moment but what do you mean 1.5 mH BHB?

No, I don't have any way of knowing how to raise ketone levels, was just wondering if anyone knew if that would make losing easier or faster, if so, then I would certainly be digging for info on how to raise the ketones. So far, as long as I am in the "zone" as I call it, of 0.5 to 3.00, I have been satisfied that I am doing the right thing and slowly losing.

I am happy with my results so far, I am losing slow but I am older, sedentary and not really worrying too much about any of it, I logged everything for about 2 months, now have relaxed on that and just eat the things I learned I could and as long as I stay in ketosis, measuring each AM, I just punt along, enjoying this WOE and don't worry about losing quicker, just very thankful that I am keeping my BS under great control and losing weight slowly and inches slowly.

But, if someone told me that I could just tweak this or that, just a bit, and I would start losing faster, then you betcha, I would be very interested in checking it out

My main goal is to see a downward trend in my weight, albeit slow, but downward. I am past vanity sizing at my age, it is about health and feeling comfortable in my own body.
Buffy45 is online now  
Old 11-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #759
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
So Kristn, you have not read any info either on whether higher ketones mean better weight loss? I wish someone could tell us.
I don't think anyone really knows. My ketones were higher when I was losing and Jimmy Moore's were higher the month that he lost more weight. But whether the higher ketone readings were significant is just a guess at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
Holy Moly- ketones at 2.7 this morning!!!

I guess whatever I'm doing is good- now, let's see if this weight will begin to drop and if I can keep my ketones in a solid range.
Congrats on the great ketone reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnstrungHarp View Post
I am very interested in finding this out, too. Typically, a little over half of my protein allottment for the day happens at supper time, especially at restaurants. I just ran out of my ketone strips and have ordered some more, but when I was testing, I always tested at least 0.6 and once as high as 1.6 (that wasn't first thing in the morning, though). I can't wait until my next batch of strips arrive!
I also eat most of my protein in two meals which has been okay for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnstrungHarp View Post
I just wanted to report that I hit a new low this morning (by half a pound or so, but still!). I guess that means I've lost approximately 5 pounds in a little over 3 weeks of NK.
Congratulations on the new low!!

Quote:
And I'm also very excited because I'm going to have my first DEXA scan on Tuesday morning! It seems to be very hard to find a place that will make this service available to the general public without some kind of doctor being involved. But if any of you are in the Nashville, TN area, I have found a place that will do it for $95 out of pocket (no insurance involved). Not sure if I can directly mention the business here or link to it, but just send me a private message if interested.
That's very cool about getting the DEXA scan! It will be interesting to hear about your results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieD View Post
I'm on bio-identical hormones and LOVE them. I've been on them for about 2 years and currently use a combination of estriol (weakest of the estrogens), testosterone, DHEA in a cream, plus another cream with progesterone. My dr. gives me saliva tests 2x yearly to make sure I'm balanced. What I like about them is the ability to adjust the dosage at will to control my symptoms (e.g. Hot flashes and night sweats). I use the tiniest amount - half a pea 2x daily and progesterone about 2-3x weekly, one dose at night. I'm 58 and have not had a hysterectomy. I take just enough to control the symptoms; no more - if I'm feeling bloated I cut back, with the goal that an occasional hot flash is okay - usually I just feel "really hot" - so I don't take too much. I highly recommend the, but the challanges are 1) finding a dr who will prescribe (my regular gyn said they weren't proven though she had heard some women have success with them - I had to find a separate dr to get them) 2) finding a compounding pharmacy, and 3) insurance doesn't cover them in my plan (but they aren't too expensive - I had to take a lot at first to get "tanked up" as my dr puts it, now I'm on a small maintenance dose).
I think that bioidenticals are a huge boon for us women moving into the second half of our lives! Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Quote:
Great thread!! I'm in NK and love the way I feel and have lost 25 lbs since early August. It's like a whole new way of eating, really quite different than LC Atkins-style. I track everything and have to keep my calories at about 1400 or less to lose. MCT oil and CO have become my staples. I also love kelp noodles, PastaPlus noodles, and Shirataki tofu noodles as a strategy to stretch my protein portions further. I throw my protein, noodles, some veggies, fat, and a couple of wedges of laughing cow in a pan and stirfry for a bit for a great low carb lunch or dinner.
MarieD. And congratulations on your loss! Thanks for the tips on stretching protein portion. I love kelp noodles, what are PastaPlus noodles and how do you use them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Wow, I went to a wedding last night, drank water and diet coke, ate LC all the way, danced quite a bit and was in ketosis when I got home, but weight popped up 3 lbs on the scale this morning! I know it is temp but geez, 3 lbs! I guess my body was so unused to the dancing it is afraid I am going to dance to starvation???? LOL
I'm sure it's just a blip! Our bodies can drive us crazy with the scale moving up for no reason at all.
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 11-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #760
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 309
Gallery: tablis
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnstrungHarp View Post
I just wanted to report that I hit a new low this morning (by half a pound or so, but still!). I guess that means I've lost approximately 5 pounds in a little over 3 weeks of NK.

And I'm also very excited because I'm going to have my first DEXA scan on Tuesday morning! It seems to be very hard to find a place that will make this service available to the general public without some kind of doctor being involved. But if any of you are in the Nashville, TN area, I have found a place that will do it for $95 out of pocket (no insurance involved). Not sure if I can directly mention the business here or link to it, but just send me a private message if interested.

Congrats on your loss!
Cool on the DEXA scan. Can't wait to hear how it all goes.
tablis is offline  
Old 11-25-2012, 11:13 AM   #761
Senior LCF Member
 
NKSL55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 173
Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Duh moment but what do you mean 1.5 mH BHB?
Okay Buffy -- remember, you did ask:

'BHB' = BetaHydroxyButerate, the stuff that is measured by the blood ketone meter. One of the 3 'ketone bodies'.

'mM' is 'millimolar', millimoles/liter. It is a measure of concentration -- that is, an indication of the number of BHB molecules per volume of blood. How many, exactly? 1 mM is roughly one thousand trillion molecules per microliter (millionth of a liter -- size of a very small drop of liquid). That might seem like a lot, but your blood is primarily water, H2O, which is present at a concentration of 55 M. That is 'Molar' -- no milli in front of it. So more than 10,000x more water molecules in your blood than BHB molecules.

To tell you the truth, my understanding of what exactly all the tissues of the body are 'burning' as fuel is still a little sketchy. But anyway, glucose, 'ketone bodies' and 'free fatty acids' are all utilized as fuel by your body. But the amount of any of them in your blood at any given instant are not much. (Less than 10 Calories for ketones or glucose.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
No, I don't have any way of knowing how to raise ketone levels, was just wondering if anyone knew if that would make losing easier or faster, if so, then I would certainly be digging for info on how to raise the ketones. So far, as long as I am in the "zone" as I call it, of 0.5 to 3.00, I have been satisfied that I am doing the right thing and slowly losing.

I am happy with my results so far, I am losing slow but I am older, sedentary and not really worrying too much about any of it, I logged everything for about 2 months, now have relaxed on that and just eat the things I learned I could and as long as I stay in ketosis, measuring each AM, I just punt along, enjoying this WOE and don't worry about losing quicker, just very thankful that I am keeping my BS under great control and losing weight slowly and inches slowly.

But, if someone told me that I could just tweak this or that, just a bit, and I would start losing faster, then you betcha, I would be very interested in checking it out
Well, I just watched a 'low carb cruise' youtube video of Jeff Volek's talk. In the fifth part, he talks about while endurance training (eg, running) tends to make the body more efficient so that it is burning less fuel.

However, resistance training can increase the resting metabolic rate.

What is the most extreme form of resistance training? Yes, powerlifting! You would want some training before going down to the gym to squat, deadlift or bench. As it turns out, one of the world's experts in this sort of training, Mark Rippetoe, appears to be hosting a seminar in his gym in Wichita Fall, Texas, Dec. 7th-9th.

Looks like there are still some slots open...

Or, there are other (lesser) forms of resistance training. Seems like powerlifting is not that popular among women for some reason.

--
Phillip

Last edited by NKSL55; 11-25-2012 at 11:14 AM..
NKSL55 is offline  
Old 11-25-2012, 11:58 AM   #762
Junior LCF Member
 
meow8022's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Middle Earth
Posts: 2
Gallery: meow8022
WOE: NK
Start Date: Late November, 2012
Joining the group!

I hope I'm using this interface correctly .

I've been contemplating doing ketosis for about a month now ... I've finally got all the tools (ketone blood meter, test strips) so I'm jumping in today!

I have a LOT of weight to lose, and I know I'm metabolically broken, so I'm really hoping ketosis will help to fix all the damage I've done to my poor body.

I'm a little nervous - even though I've done a lot of reading on this WOE. Here is my plan for the macronutrients:

86g protein
25g carbs
140 g fat

So far today I'm almost at my target for both protein and carbs, and that was only with breakfast and lunch! Who knew avocados had so many carbs?!?! I guess I'm going to have to be happy with getting closer to the target on Day1 rather than expect immediate perfection.

Just wanted to introduce myself to you all, and am looking forward to absorbing all of your expertise and lessons-learned.
meow8022 is offline  
Old 11-25-2012, 12:07 PM   #763
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 309
Gallery: tablis
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by meow8022 View Post
I hope I'm using this interface correctly .

I've been contemplating doing ketosis for about a month now ... I've finally got all the tools (ketone blood meter, test strips) so I'm jumping in today!

I have a LOT of weight to lose, and I know I'm metabolically broken, so I'm really hoping ketosis will help to fix all the damage I've done to my poor body.

I'm a little nervous - even though I've done a lot of reading on this WOE. Here is my plan for the macronutrients:

86g protein
25g carbs
140 g fat

So far today I'm almost at my target for both protein and carbs, and that was only with breakfast and lunch! Who knew avocados had so many carbs?!?! I guess I'm going to have to be happy with getting closer to the target on Day1 rather than expect immediate perfection.

Just wanted to introduce myself to you all, and am looking forward to absorbing all of your expertise and lessons-learned.
Welcome and good luck!
glad you joined us- we all learn so much from each others experiences!
tablis is offline  
Old 11-25-2012, 12:30 PM   #764
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 309
Gallery: tablis
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
I lost 90 pounds in a little over a year in 2001-2002 and then got stuck for 9.5 years. I lost the first 90 pounds with regular old Atkins and I loved it! I was pretty happy sticking with it and not losing as long as I wasn't gaining and I tried a bunch of things along the way to try and get down to my goal, but I never made it until I learned about NK.

I started NK in earnest in June of this year, lost 25 pounds and I reached my goal weight on 8/27/12.

Here's what I posted in the Main Lobby when I hit goal.
Wow! thanks for linking to your story- I had somehow missed it.
That's an amazing transformation and you really are an inspiration- and proof that it can be done!
Hoping I can get this thing figured out as well- I have been stalled for ages as well.
tablis is offline  
Old 11-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #765
Senior LCF Member
 
sasonnier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 247
Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Meow- Welcome! It will take time for your body to adjust to eating less as well as you to figure out what adds up to what. I find that I can only eat 2 meals a day to stay w/in my range and still feel like my meal was a solid meal. I try to eat a vary late breakfast/early lunch and then an early dinner- otherwise it's very easy to meet my nutrient limits really quickly! It looks like you have done your research, knowing where to start....there is no better time than the present (as they say) to start!
sasonnier is offline  
Old 11-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #766
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
JMCM1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,313
Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieD View Post
I'm on bio-identical hormones and LOVE them. I've been on them for about 2 years and currently use a combination of estriol (weakest of the estrogens), testosterone, DHEA in a cream, plus another cream with progesterone. My dr. gives me saliva tests 2x yearly to make sure I'm balanced. What I like about them is the ability to adjust the dosage at will to control my symptoms (e.g. Hot flashes and night sweats). I use the tiniest amount - half a pea 2x daily and progesterone about 2-3x weekly, one dose at night. I'm 58 and have not had a hysterectomy. I take just enough to control the symptoms; no more - if I'm feeling bloated I cut back, with the goal that an occasional hot flash is okay - usually I just feel "really hot" - so I don't take too much. I highly recommend the, but the challanges are 1) finding a dr who will prescribe (my regular gyn said they weren't proven though she had heard some women have success with them - I had to find a separate dr to get them) 2) finding a compounding pharmacy, and 3) insurance doesn't cover them in my plan (but they aren't too expensive - I had to take a lot at first to get "tanked up" as my dr puts it, now I'm on a small maintenance dose).

Great thread!! I'm in NK and love the way I feel and have lost 25 lbs since early August. It's like a whole new way of eating, really quite different than LC Atkins-style. I track everything and have to keep my calories at about 1400 or less to lose. MCT oil and CO have become my staples. I also love kelp noodles, PastaPlus noodles, and Shirataki tofu noodles as a strategy to stretch my protein portions further. I throw my protein, noodles, some veggies, fat, and a couple of wedges of laughing cow in a pan and stirfry for a bit for a great low carb lunch or dinner.
Marie thanks for chiming in. I haven't actually begun yet and I am anxious for my next appointment. My doc will prescribe bio-identical and I have a compounding pharmacy close by. My insurance does not cover my prescriptions anyway, so I kind of knew that going in.

I am looking forward to feeling a little more like my old self than this new self.

And MANY congratulations on your loss!!

Last edited by JMCM1; 11-25-2012 at 02:16 PM..
JMCM1 is offline  
Old 11-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #767
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by meow8022 View Post
I hope I'm using this interface correctly .

I've been contemplating doing ketosis for about a month now ... I've finally got all the tools (ketone blood meter, test strips) so I'm jumping in today!

I have a LOT of weight to lose, and I know I'm metabolically broken, so I'm really hoping ketosis will help to fix all the damage I've done to my poor body.

I'm a little nervous - even though I've done a lot of reading on this WOE. Here is my plan for the macronutrients:

86g protein
25g carbs
140 g fat

So far today I'm almost at my target for both protein and carbs, and that was only with breakfast and lunch! Who knew avocados had so many carbs?!?! I guess I'm going to have to be happy with getting closer to the target on Day1 rather than expect immediate perfection.

Just wanted to introduce myself to you all, and am looking forward to absorbing all of your expertise and lessons-learned.
Meow! It sounds like you've got some good starting targets to get into NK. I found that fitting my macros into "meals" was one of the greatest challenges in the beginning. Have you looked at the Daily Menus-High Fat/Moderate Protein/Low Carb thread?
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 11-25-2012, 02:24 PM   #768
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by NKSL55 View Post
Okay Buffy -- remember, you did ask:

'BHB' = BetaHydroxyButerate, the stuff that is measured by the blood ketone meter. One of the 3 'ketone bodies'.

'mM' is 'millimolar', millimoles/liter. It is a measure of concentration -- that is, an indication of the number of BHB molecules per volume of blood. How many, exactly? 1 mM is roughly one thousand trillion molecules per microliter (millionth of a liter -- size of a very small drop of liquid). That might seem like a lot, but your blood is primarily water, H2O, which is present at a concentration of 55 M. That is 'Molar' -- no milli in front of it. So more than 10,000x more water molecules in your blood than BHB molecules.

To tell you the truth, my understanding of what exactly all the tissues of the body are 'burning' as fuel is still a little sketchy. But anyway, glucose, 'ketone bodies' and 'free fatty acids' are all utilized as fuel by your body. But the amount of any of them in your blood at any given instant are not much. (Less than 10 Calories for ketones or glucose.)



Well, I just watched a 'low carb cruise' youtube video of Jeff Volek's talk. In the fifth part, he talks about while endurance training (eg, running) tends to make the body more efficient so that it is burning less fuel.

However, resistance training can increase the resting metabolic rate.

What is the most extreme form of resistance training? Yes, powerlifting! You would want some training before going down to the gym to squat, deadlift or bench. As it turns out, one of the world's experts in this sort of training, Mark Rippetoe, appears to be hosting a seminar in his gym in Wichita Fall, Texas, Dec. 7th-9th.

Looks like there are still some slots open...

Or, there are other (lesser) forms of resistance training. Seems like powerlifting is not that popular among women for some reason.

--
Phillip
Phillip--I always appreciate your posts! I was doing powerlifting for a while and I loved it. I think that if more women felt welcome in that world and gave it a try they would really benefit from it. The kettlebell training that I do incorporates deadlifts and squats along with more dynamic moves. DH and I have been talking about going back to powerlifting, but haven't yet been able to fit it into our schedule.

When I get some time I'm going to watch the Volek talk from the Low Carb Cruise! I still get somewhat confused about the recommendations for NK and gaining muscle with resistance training. It seems more clear for endurance athletes.
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 11-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #769
Senior LCF Member
 
SouthernGirl61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 462
Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Hi everyone! Hope all are fine and having a great day. It's finally quiet in my house, and DDs are on their ways home, and even the dogs are happy for the peace!
Buffy, I saw an article on the ketones "bell curve"....will have to remember where and find it again. From memory, it was a 0-5 scale, with the best results in the middle ranges...and if I remember correctly, it did not say that higher was better.
Hey Kristn, I am certain as good as you are with this stuff you will get it all humming along fine after Monday. I think having a "line in the sand" when we gain is a good thing, I have one, and I start paying close attention when I see that magic number.
Sophie, that 2.7 sounds great! Strawberry Ice Cream breath.....that is funny! Sounds like you are doing great, and focused in on your needs. I found that concentrating on protein, not to exceed 65g daily; keep carbs at 20; then worry with fat works for me. But many times I fail to get enough fat...working on that.
Cici, I think most of us spread out the protein in two or three "meals"....but there is some info given prior on not eating so soon as it will help with the fat loss. I work on the theory of eating when hungry not by a clock.
Anjikun, my favorite fat bombs are with cream cheese, dark chocolate cocoa, sweetner of the day, and almond butter. Then I also love cream cheese mixed with the cocoa and pecan butter. I make my own butters, they are dreadfully expensive, and we have the trees for pecans. I use almond oil for one; and pecan oil or walnut oil for the pecan butter. I will be adding CO in the next batches!
MerryKate, I think your stuffing recipe will be made for Christmas. It sounds wonderful.
Hi Omatic, hope you are doing great!
Hi Lindsay! Half of my daily protein is at the supper time too. It has not been a problem for me that I know of. Great loss! Congrats, that is wonderful news. Keep us posted on your DEXA. We have no place that proceeds without a MD order...blah!
Sophie, I think you are on the right track!
Hi MarieD and welcome! I am waiting impatiently until Monday to get my BHRT from compounding Pharm. So glad to hear you love them. Thanks for the info too! 2x a year for the fun of a saliva tests???? Do they make you bloat? Do you have the capsule or cream?
Hi Phillip! Thanks for the info! Powerlifting??? Been a long time since I did that and you are right from what I know in my girl crowd, we did this because our coaches required it way-back-when. Most of us hated it even though it was a great way to meet guys!
Tablis! Hope your day is going good! There are a few of us "stallers"...hoping that will change soon for us!
Welcome Meow! Many of us have "broken/abused" metabolisms....so hang in with us. I eat avocados daily, love them. Have patience at first, and know that NK is "okay"...you will see.
SouthernGirl61 is offline  
Old 11-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #770
Major LCF Poster!
 
cici52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,682
Gallery: cici52
Hmm. Can you think of any reason for fireworks going off tonight. Just hearing them in the area as I sit down.

I see that several of you mention sweeteners. I have used stevia for quite a while. Any reason to quit?

You mentioned resistance training and I think my stretchy bands that hook in the door probably meet the definition. Maybe not for the really strong among you but they cause my muscles to talk back.

Kristn, re the body fat of 18%: I think the charts say I should be 157 to get into the normal range so no way will I be 18%. Daren was probably just using that as a best case scenario. If I get under 30% at that point I will be surprised. In any case it is a long way off. If I can eat enough protein and exercise enough to not lose any existing muscle, I suspect I would have to get into the 140 range to have any good composition. Dukan evaluation said at my age and starting weight, 157 was more realistic but who knows what lies beneath the current layers.
cici52 is offline  
Old 11-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #771
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Kristn, re the body fat of 18%: I think the charts say I should be 157 to get into the normal range so no way will I be 18%. Daren was probably just using that as a best case scenario. If I get under 30% at that point I will be surprised. In any case it is a long way off. If I can eat enough protein and exercise enough to not lose any existing muscle, I suspect I would have to get into the 140 range to have any good composition. Dukan evaluation said at my age and starting weight, 157 was more realistic but who knows what lies beneath the current layers.
That makes sense. I saw that number and thought that 18% is a very aggressive BF% goal for any woman.

Your range of 58 to 109 sounds pretty reasonable and a good starting point. Once you get going you can adjust to find the right spot for you.

Quote:
I see that several of you mention sweeteners. I have used stevia for quite a while. Any reason to quit?
I'm a believer in artificial sweeteners. I've tried cutting them out without any noticeable effect. They can stimulate appetite if you're having issues, but I think that stevia is probably the least likely to cause problems.

Quote:
You mentioned resistance training and I think my stretchy bands that hook in the door probably meet the definition. Maybe not for the really strong among you but they cause my muscles to talk back.
I think the bands are great and are a nice intro to resistance training. You never know, one day you may find yourself wanting more and there are lots of great programs and resources out there.
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 11-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #772
Senior LCF Member
 
One maur time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 124
Gallery: One maur time
WOE: Atkins, lchf, nk
Start Date: 01/15/2011
Welcome! In the beginning getting the hang of this WOE matters more than perfect compliance as your appetite grows more tame better compliance is within reach.
You can succeed at this!
Maureen
One maur time is offline  
Old 11-25-2012, 08:41 PM   #773
Senior LCF Member
 
One maur time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 124
Gallery: One maur time
WOE: Atkins, lchf, nk
Start Date: 01/15/2011
Facing another Monday

Hi Everyone:
I am glad to see that so many have done so well over the Holiday weekend! I deviated a little- mostly with excess protein - a real challenge for me always. I have been starting to think about strategies for all the upcoming Holiday parties. Perhaps having a game plan may help. I was thinking about taking an additional tablespoon or two of CO before each party to see if that can really trample the temptation of passed appetizers and cheese boards. Any thoughts?

I have also been taking something similar to Jimmy Moore's Glycosolve supplement. With no appreciable benefit yet.

Best to all
Maureen
One maur time is offline  
Old 11-25-2012, 08:43 PM   #774
Senior LCF Member
 
MerryKate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sequim, WA
Posts: 697
Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Morning!
I am doing great, most amazing post-Thanksgiving ever for me diet wise, or WOE wise...Never have I went through a holiday with control like this and not white knuckle control, so easy and I did not even want to cheat. I LOVE it!

Heard our first Christmas Carol on the radio yesterday, thought of you MerryKate
Yay! I'm also finding the holiday self-control amazing. We have a potluck-style thanksgiving dinner at church and this year each family brought a dessert "just in case we don't have enough"...we had about 10 pies, 3 cakes and cheesecake (guess which one I brought?) As good as it all looked, I didn't have any trouble sticking to my plan, and eating only my cheesecake.

Enjoy the holidays!
MerryKate is offline  
Old 11-26-2012, 05:53 AM   #775
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 309
Gallery: tablis
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
I think the bands are great and are a nice intro to resistance training. You never know, one day you may find yourself wanting more and there are lots of great programs and resources out there.
I haven't read the books yet... but I'm just wondering why it is that resistance training works best. I know from experience that tons of aerobic and cardio style WOs do nothing I was even doing plenty of HIITs with no success... but atkins 93 seems to imply that once you are in ketosis and burning fat for fuel everything you do is burning fat so the more continuous movement the better... aerobics should be perfect... yet its not.

I think I was overtraining... trying to limit myself to 3X a week.

anyways today was the first day of week five and I dropped a bit making a total of 6lbs. Still trying to figure this all out.. I can't wait until I have a ketone tester so I can really find my perfect zone. Meanwhile I am tracking everything in in ****** and transfering it and everything else (WO's, supplements, etc in Excel)

btw kristn you once mentioned that you use excel to track everything too. would you mind sharing how you set it up? I'm sure my spreadsheet could be set up better..
now I just have the day/date/week running down the left and across the top I have daily food totals and %'s, wieght, supplements etc. I have a million columns at this point and even though I have freeze panes on its still hard to see at a glance.
tablis is offline  
Old 11-26-2012, 06:21 AM   #776
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by One maur time View Post
Hi Everyone:
I am glad to see that so many have done so well over the Holiday weekend! I deviated a little- mostly with excess protein - a real challenge for me always. I have been starting to think about strategies for all the upcoming Holiday parties. Perhaps having a game plan may help. I was thinking about taking an additional tablespoon or two of CO before each party to see if that can really trample the temptation of passed appetizers and cheese boards. Any thoughts?
I also tend to eat excess protein. Sometimes at Holiday parties that's the best you can do! I'm not sure how the additional CO before parties would work, might be worth a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
Yay! I'm also finding the holiday self-control amazing. We have a potluck-style thanksgiving dinner at church and this year each family brought a dessert "just in case we don't have enough"...we had about 10 pies, 3 cakes and cheesecake (guess which one I brought?) As good as it all looked, I didn't have any trouble sticking to my plan, and eating only my cheesecake.
Congratulations on passing the dessert right on by!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablis View Post
I haven't read the books yet... but I'm just wondering why it is that resistance training works best. I know from experience that tons of aerobic and cardio style WOs do nothing I was even doing plenty of HIITs with no success... but atkins 93 seems to imply that once you are in ketosis and burning fat for fuel everything you do is burning fat so the more continuous movement the better... aerobics should be perfect... yet its not.
I don't think the books address this. In fact, I think the Performance book is very endurance-athlete-centric. There is a little bit about weight-training, but not much. That's why I'm so interested in listening to the Volek talk on the low-carb cruise.

Quote:
I think I was overtraining... trying to limit myself to 3X a week.

anyways today was the first day of week five and I dropped a bit making a total of 6lbs. Still trying to figure this all out.. I can't wait until I have a ketone tester so I can really find my perfect zone. Meanwhile I am tracking everything in in ****** and transfering it and everything else (WO's, supplements, etc in Excel)

btw kristn you once mentioned that you use excel to track everything too. would you mind sharing how you set it up? I'm sure my spreadsheet could be set up better..
now I just have the day/date/week running down the left and across the top I have daily food totals and %'s, wieght, supplements etc. I have a million columns at this point and even though I have freeze panes on its still hard to see at a glance.
Congratulations on your loss! My excel spreadsheet probably isn't any different than yours--and it's impossible to see at a glance. I don't track supplements since I take the same thing every day, so that's a few less columns for me.
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 11-26-2012, 09:02 AM   #777
Senior LCF Member
 
gibster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 681
Gallery: gibster
Hi, all.

I'm ready to dive in. I got my meter and strips last week. I wanted to use a test strip yesterday, so took everything out, read the directions, and found that the battery was dead. So, I'll have to pick up a new battery on the way home today and test tomorrow morning. (I'll be writing to Amazon to see if they will send me a new battery or give me a credit.)

Back in September/October, I completed a Whole30: 30 straight days of clean paleo eating. I was surprised that I actually stuck with it. But I've been completely off track since then, so here I am. I can incorporate most of my Whole30 menus into NK - and I can eat my beloved cheese.

Am I reading this right? I need to meet my percentages with every meal & not per day?
__________________
LINDA
gibster is offline  
Old 11-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #778
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibster View Post
Hi, all.

I'm ready to dive in. I got my meter and strips last week. I wanted to use a test strip yesterday, so took everything out, read the directions, and found that the battery was dead. So, I'll have to pick up a new battery on the way home today and test tomorrow morning. (I'll be writing to Amazon to see if they will send me a new battery or give me a credit.)

Back in September/October, I completed a Whole30: 30 straight days of clean paleo eating. I was surprised that I actually stuck with it. But I've been completely off track since then, so here I am. I can incorporate most of my Whole30 menus into NK - and I can eat my beloved cheese.

Am I reading this right? I need to meet my percentages with every meal & not per day?
Linda! Take a look at the first post of this thread here. Protein and carb gram absolute values are the most important thing in this WOE. Fat follows along, but there isn't one macronutrient percentage ratio that is the "right one."

And I personally look at my daily intake for totals rather than trying to make each meal equal with its ratios. I'm sure others will chime in.
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 11-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #779
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
JMCM1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,313
Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Linda! Take a look at the first post of this thread here. Protein and carb gram absolute values are the most important thing in this WOE. Fat follows along, but there isn't one macronutrient percentage ratio that is the "right one."

And I personally look at my daily intake for totals rather than trying to make each meal equal with its ratios. I'm sure others will chime in.


Percentages don't mean much to me, either. Eat the protein you should eat to keep lean body mass, keep carbs low and the rest is fat.

Kristn's right - we've all had to tweak to adapt to our bodies/activity levels/hormones/broken metabolisms.... *sigh*
JMCM1 is offline  
Old 11-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #780
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 118
Gallery: Anjikun
SouthernGirl, thanks for the fat bomb ideas. My second batch of fat bombs is also delicious, but I used artifical sweetener (sucralose) which I'm not used to, so there is something kind of funny about them that I don't like.

Hi Meow, and welcome! I'm a newbie at this as well!
Anjikun is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:24 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.