Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #721
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablis View Post
Wow I just spent some time reading the "long and pathetic list of symptoms" and I have several of them... yipes. I have asked drs many times about the possibility of a thyroid problem bc of my difficulty losing weight and they have said as long as my TSH is in range there is no problem. (just eat less and WO more...) I'm not going to have any easy time getting anyone to do this labwork...
I think I recall that you are in Canada? That's hard. There are just a handful of docs there as I recall that will run the correct tests. But if you can call a pharmacy and find out what docs Rx "Erfa", then you will be on a good path.

If you were in the USA, there are labs to run the tests without a doctor. That's what I've been doing for 2 years.

The TSH "in range" is old school medical nonsense!!!! So sorry you found one of those. I've had more than my share of docs that "go by TSH for thyroid"...it's a test of the pituitary, not the availability of what is in your body for thyroid function. Just makes me want to scream!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2012, 11:51 AM   #722
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Woot woot, got dressed and the pants I have on are tooooo big, I am wearing them anyhow, it is warm here in TX today and I don't have any capris that are smaller than these.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #723
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Woot woot, got dressed and the pants I have on are tooooo big, I am wearing them anyhow, it is warm here in TX today and I don't have any capris that are smaller than these.
Congrats on the too-big pants!! I am envious of your weather. It's dark, wet, and gloomy here.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #724
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
It's my DREAM! To have people exclaiming, "Oh my dear you are just SWIMMING in those pants! You must eat like a bird!"

Live the dream, Buffy!!
Old 11-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #725
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
How absolutely fabulous!!!!! Keep up the good work!
Old 11-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #726
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Congrats on the too-big pants!! I am envious of your weather. It's dark, wet, and gloomy here.
I second this - not sure the sun really came out today. I think we had one week of capri weather sometime in August. But yay on the too big pants "problem".
Old 11-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #727
Senior LCF Member

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I had a great Thanksgiving meal with my church family. We started this tradition a few years ago for those of us without big families, and this year we had 40 people come to dinner. Great food (really, too much of it), and plenty of left-overs for everyone. My best dinner conversation was with a sister who is 102 years old and just took up oil painting. She's a kick!

My low-carb stuffing tasted great. Since it's only 1.2 carb per serving, I didn't have to worry about the portion size. If anyone wants to try it, I put it on the recipe page at Flaxseed Focaccia Stuffing. I can pretty much guarantee it won't trigger any binges - there's no flour or sugar in it.

Now it's time to pull out the Christmas carols! (Yes, I'm one of those...)
Old 11-23-2012, 06:24 AM   #728
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Good Morning to all! Hope your Tgiving was good and tasty!
We all had a fun moment...DDs eat LC now, and it was bewildering when our pumpkin "cobbler" dessert came out...sDD2 made it, we all gave it a try....but the truth came out no one wanted/needed dessert! Jump for Joy! Even better, I was not hungry at all from 2pm on....so I just skipped anything but water/teas. I am enjoying a quiet house for a couple hours, and sorry for you with such cold weather, it was a shorts/capri day here, but a bit warm even for us this morning, we are praying for rain again! Congrats on the loose pants, good numbers, days off from work, having our own Forum!!!! and getting through one more day.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:29 AM   #729
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anjikun
Wow, all this talk about "capri" weather is depressing. Here in Montreal we are having "winter coat, hats and mits and long-underwear" weather!
Old 11-23-2012, 06:33 AM   #730
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjikun View Post
Wow, all this talk about "capri" weather is depressing. Here in Montreal we are having "winter coat, hats and mits and long-underwear" weather!
From time to time I enjoy winter too! But we have very little where I live. Pulled the sweaters out a couple of weeks ago for a cool breeze time, and now they are folded and back in their place! Montreal is so beautiful!
Old 11-23-2012, 08:40 AM   #731
Major LCF Poster!

It sounds like everyone had a great Thanksgiving! I didn't eat any starchy sides, but I did have some ham that I know was glazed with something sweet and I ate too much sugar-free pumpkin cheesecake. I am up 1 pound this morning and ketones are down .4.

I posted this on another thread, but I'm going to lower my protein (and total calories) slightly starting Monday to see if I can get back into stronger ketosis and lose the few pounds that I'm up over the past week. I think that it's protein that's keeping me out of ketosis (I still keep my carbs very low). I've been LC for 11 years and I believe that my body is super-efficient at making glucose from protein.

MerryKate--I may try making your stuffing over the weekend! We're smoking a turkey tomorrow and I did miss eating stuffing yesterday.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 11-23-2012, 08:44 AM   #732
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
I second this - not sure the sun really came out today. I think we had one week of capri weather sometime in August. But yay on the too big pants "problem".
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
From time to time I enjoy winter too! But we have very little where I live. Pulled the sweaters out a couple of weeks ago for a cool breeze time, and now they are folded and back in their place! Montreal is so beautiful!
Sadly capris are packed away (with all the summer wear) and all of the sweaters are out. We don't usually need long underwear here, but many layers and lots of rain gear!
Old 11-23-2012, 12:14 PM   #733
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I'm going to lower my protein (and total calories) slightly starting Monday to see if I can get back into stronger ketosis and lose the few pounds that I'm up over the past week. I think that it's protein that's keeping me out of ketosis (I still keep my carbs very low). I've been LC for 11 years and I believe that my body is super-efficient at making glucose from protein.
I'm not really well-versed in the science of ketosis, but isn't it possible that you are having a harder time staying in ketosis because there is less fat on your body now that you are at goal? Have you tried upping your proportion of CO/MCT oil? Paul Jaminet, as you probably know, claims that that will promote ketosis even if carbs are close to 50 grams.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #734
Senior LCF Member

Speaking of fat, can you guys believe that all of the fat bombs I made the other day are gone? The fact that my little boys have been eating them doesn't help, obviously.

Now they want me to make chocolate fat bombs, so I guess we will do that over the weekend. Would anyone care to share their favorite, chocolately-sweet kid-friendly (gluten-free) pop-into-the-freezer type fat bomb recipe??????
Old 11-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #735
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
My low-carb stuffing tasted great. Since it's only 1.2 carb per serving, I didn't have to worry about the portion size. If anyone wants to try it, I put it on the recipe page at Flaxseed Focaccia Stuffing. I can pretty much guarantee it won't trigger any binges - there's no flour or sugar in it.
The link doesn't work for me and when I search I can't find your stuffing recipe--only the Flaxseed Focaccia recipe. I really want to try this!
Old 11-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #736
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I'm not really well-versed in the science of ketosis, but isn't it possible that you are having a harder time staying in ketosis because there is less fat on your body now that you are at goal? Have you tried upping your proportion of CO/MCT oil? Paul Jaminet, as you probably know, claims that that will promote ketosis even if carbs are close to 50 grams.
I think that what Phillip said on the other thread, that I'm burning dietary fat, not body fat for fuel and there's less of it makes sense. It's hard to be on the cutting edge of a dietary movement. Although I think I felt better when my ketones were higher, but that might have been the amazement and wonder of losing weight after being stuck for so long.

I also think my calorie level may be too high for me for maintenance.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #737
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
mom2zeke, love your avi. Do I understand correctly that you lost 90 in one year? Did you do it with NK? Would you tell me what you were doing?
Old 11-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #738
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
mom2zeke, love your avi. Do I understand correctly that you lost 90 in one year? Did you do it with NK? Would you tell me what you were doing?
I lost 90 pounds in a little over a year in 2001-2002 and then got stuck for 9.5 years. I lost the first 90 pounds with regular old Atkins and I loved it! I was pretty happy sticking with it and not losing as long as I wasn't gaining and I tried a bunch of things along the way to try and get down to my goal, but I never made it until I learned about NK.

I started NK in earnest in June of this year, lost 25 pounds and I reached my goal weight on 8/27/12.

Here's what I posted in the Main Lobby when I hit goal.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #739
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
The link doesn't work for me and when I search I can't find your stuffing recipe--only the Flaxseed Focaccia recipe. I really want to try this!
Hmm...I can get to it, but the link address looks a bit weird. Try this link and let me know if it doesn't work...I'll just post it on here then.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #740
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hmm...I can get to it, but the link address looks a bit weird. Try this link and let me know if it doesn't work...I'll just post it on here then.
Thank you so much, this link works for me!
Old 11-24-2012, 07:31 AM   #741
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone! How is post-Thanksgiving going? My weight was 151.6 this morning, thankfully back down from a high of 153.4 the morning after Thanksgiving (I blame the glazed ham!). My ketones have been all over the place and were only .2 this morning.

How is everyone else doing?
Old 11-24-2012, 09:51 AM   #742
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning!
I am doing great, most amazing post-Thanksgiving ever for me diet wise, or WOE wise. I stayed in ketosis over TG, had couple of bite of things just to be polite but not enough to throw me off track. Yesterday, complete control and today, a new low 192.4 on the scale. Never have I went through a holiday with control like this and not white knuckle control, so easy and I did not even want to cheat. I LOVE it!

My ketone readings stay right in the 0.8 range to 1.4 maybe, I hardly ever go over that. I do take mine first thing in the AM when they are their lowest and would love to see those higher numbers some people report, but, not sure if that helps with weight loss or not. If I knew it did, I would tweak to try to get higher numbers but until I know that, will be satisfied with these and my slow downward trend on the scale and the looseness I am now finding in all my clothes. Time to really purge my closets, I have so many clothes now that are too big and I can't wear, need to get them outta my house.

Glad your weight is slipping back down for you Kristn.

Heard our first Christmas Carol on the radio yesterday, thought of you MerryKate
Old 11-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #743
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: omatic
Stats: 148/140/130
Quote:
Time to really purge my closets, I have so many clothes now that are too big and I can't wear, need to get them outta my house.
There is nothing more therapeutic than cleaning the large sizes from you closet. Go renew !
Old 11-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #744
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Morning!
I am doing great, most amazing post-Thanksgiving ever for me diet wise, or WOE wise. I stayed in ketosis over TG, had couple of bite of things just to be polite but not enough to throw me off track. Yesterday, complete control and today, a new low 192.4 on the scale. Never have I went through a holiday with control like this and not white knuckle control, so easy and I did not even want to cheat. I LOVE it!
Congratulations on the new low!! Isn't it a great feeling to be in control of what you choose to eat.

Quote:
My ketone readings stay right in the 0.8 range to 1.4 maybe, I hardly ever go over that. I do take mine first thing in the AM when they are their lowest and would love to see those higher numbers some people report, but, not sure if that helps with weight loss or not. If I knew it did, I would tweak to try to get higher numbers but until I know that, will be satisfied with these and my slow downward trend on the scale and the looseness I am now finding in all my clothes. Time to really purge my closets, I have so many clothes now that are too big and I can't wear, need to get them outta my house.
I do wonder about the ketone level and whether higher numbers might equal greater weight loss. It's hard to really see a pattern and it's probably very individual.

Quote:
Glad your weight is slipping back down for you Kristn.
Thanks Buffy. I am so relieved to see that number going back down.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #745
Big Yapper!!!!

So Kristn, you have not read any info either on whether higher ketones mean better weight loss? I wish someone could tell us.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:14 AM   #746
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Holy Moly- ketones at 2.7 this morning!!!

I guess whatever I'm doing is good- now, let's see if this weight will begin to drop and if I can keep my ketones in a solid range.

Yesterday morning, my son laughed as we were cuddling on the couch and said my breath smelled like strawberry ice cream

Have a good day all!
Old 11-25-2012, 05:15 AM   #747
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Good morning. It is nice to read all your successes, on and off the scale. I am new and confused on some of the info as everyone seems to be tweaking their own path. I'm going mainly off the information here and have watched a utube interview w/ Dr. Phinney.

This morning I had a delicious breakfast and actually ate what was supposed to be two servings. The read ends up at k1,034, F80 C3 P70. The protein is about what I aim for in a day. I am not concerned about anything else as at the end of the day it will all fit but wonder if ketosis can be achieved with such a high concentration of protein at one meal. I don't have any testing paraphanalia. I know many started with Atkins and my memory of that woe was that it was quite high in protein and did not stress fat, just low carbs. It has been so long. Any thoughts?
Old 11-25-2012, 05:37 AM   #748
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:
. I am not concerned about anything else as at the end of the day it will all fit but wonder if ketosis can be achieved with such a high concentration of protein at one meal. I don't have any testing paraphanalia. I know many started with Atkins and my memory of that woe was that it was quite high in protein and did not stress fat, just low carbs. It has been so long. Any thoughts?
I am very interested in finding this out, too. Typically, a little over half of my protein allottment for the day happens at supper time, especially at restaurants. I just ran out of my ketone strips and have ordered some more, but when I was testing, I always tested at least 0.6 and once as high as 1.6 (that wasn't first thing in the morning, though). I can't wait until my next batch of strips arrive!
Old 11-25-2012, 05:45 AM   #749
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
I just wanted to report that I hit a new low this morning (by half a pound or so, but still!). I guess that means I've lost approximately 5 pounds in a little over 3 weeks of NK.

And I'm also very excited because I'm going to have my first DEXA scan on Tuesday morning! It seems to be very hard to find a place that will make this service available to the general public without some kind of doctor being involved. But if any of you are in the Nashville, TN area, I have found a place that will do it for $95 out of pocket (no insurance involved). Not sure if I can directly mention the business here or link to it, but just send me a private message if interested.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:50 AM   #750
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Quote:
Good morning. It is nice to read all your successes, on and off the scale. I am new and confused on some of the info as everyone seems to be tweaking their own path. I'm going mainly off the information here and have watched a utube interview w/ Dr. Phinney.

This morning I had a delicious breakfast and actually ate what was supposed to be two servings. The read ends up at k1,034, F80 C3 P70. The protein is about what I aim for in a day. I am not concerned about anything else as at the end of the day it will all fit but wonder if ketosis can be achieved with such a high concentration of protein at one meal. I don't have any testing paraphanalia. I know many started with Atkins and my memory of that woe was that it was quite high in protein and did not stress fat, just low carbs. It has been so long. Any thoughts?
Good Morning Cici- This has been the challenging thing for me- figuring out how much protein is the right amount for me. What was suggested to me in the beginning (and I am still very much a beginner) is to not worry so much about protein intake in the early weeks...make sure to eat enough fat (75-85% from cals), low carbs (definitely under 50, but I am for 20 or less), and protein. I aim to keep my protein under 70ish grams a day, but don't stress out if I feel like I need more once in a while. Your protein requirements are based on your LBM (lean body mass). Early on, it's challenging to feel sated (I found) and you might feel a bit tired and low energy until your body adjusts. I focus on eating a lot of good healthy salt, good healthy fats, and eating at least enough protein- carbs come in last in importance for me. Sometimes I'll eat a small salad, or 1/2 cup of low carb veggies, I always eat olives (hi salt, hi fat, plus yummy) and sometimes my only carbs come as a byproduct from other foods (cream cheese or olives).

I would suggest to ask Kristn for help figuring out protein requirements, make sure to eat at least that much, and don't worry if you go over that in the beginning- until you adjust, then you can begin to tweak your food then.

Hope this helps!
Closed Thread