Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #661
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
I just noticed that Nutritional Ketosis now has it's own home on LCF under Weight Loss Plans. We're not in "Other Plans" anymore.

Now all the threads are under one umbrella it will be easier for people to find this WOE!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #662
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
I just noticed that Nutritional Ketosis now has it's own home on LCF under Weight Loss Plans. We're not in "Other Plans" anymore.

Now all the threads are under one umbrella it will be easier for people to find this WOE!
Old 11-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #663
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/201.5/175
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • Restart 04/14
At long last, we're Real!

I had a frustrating morning.... it took me 3 strips to get a reading on the NovaMaxPlus, and it finally came out Low. :/ The only thing I ate last night that I think might have done it was a roll I made with carbalose. Has anyone else had carbalose kick you out of ketosis?
Old 11-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #664
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/201.5/175
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • Restart 04/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnstrungHarp View Post
I never thought it was really gout because it only hurt when I was working out, for example, a lunge when my left foot was in the back. )
FWIW, it's probably not gout. Gout pain doesn't respond to changes of position. I'd second the others who think you might need to up your magnesium. It could be mild arthritis, too.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:32 AM   #665
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
FWIW, it's probably not gout. Gout pain doesn't respond to changes of position. I'd second the others who think you might need to up your magnesium. It could be mild arthritis, too.
I did not know this! Thanks for the info. Hm... But whatever was causing the pain seems to be gone now, so I will take it! I skipped yesterday's magnesium supplement and might skip today too, then start back with only 200mg in the evening. I had a good day yesterday (no running to the bathroom!) so I'm guessing it was really the magnesium rather than coconut oil, because I still used the coconut oil with my eggs.

In other news, my fasting ketone reading first thing this morning was 1.1!

Now I'm off to look for some kind of dessert recipe I can use for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. I waited til the last minute and now I really dread hitting the grocery story today.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:57 AM   #666
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:

Now I'm off to look for some kind of dessert recipe I can use for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. I waited til the last minute and now I really dread hitting the grocery story today.
You're there ketone-wise! Congrats!
Old 11-21-2012, 06:00 AM   #667
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anjikun
Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome!

Kristn, that's a good idea about keeping a copy of the current tests (I did not keep a copy of the tests I had 3-4 years ago). I went yesterday for the blood draw, but did not think to take a copy of the requisition (drat!). I will get a copy of the results when they come back though. I don't know exactly what she's testing for thyroid. When I get it back I will definitely run it by you. I've done a fair amount of reading trying to figure this out, but there are so many possible conditions, test names, etc., it's so hard to keep it all straight! My mom had thyroid problems, so I guess it wouldn't be that surprising if I did too. I think my doctor would be pretty cool about doing whatever test I requested, as long as I can figure out what to request!

SouthernGirl61, yes I think my doctor is trying to exhaust every possibility. Three-four years ago I had an episode of this, and she did a ton of blood work, brain MRI, and sent me to a rheumatologist (based on a high ANA titer, which my doctor did not understand) and a neurologist. The rheumatologist said my symptoms were not specific for any conditions, but that I should definitely come back when I started to get some more specific symptoms! The neurologist had no idea. She ordered a cervical MRI, but I didn't go through with it (I live in Quebec, and wait times are extremely long. By the time my MRI was scheduled the episode of numbness/exhaustion was long over, and I felt much better after having switched to low-carb primal eating.)

This time the episode started with a very sudden and marked numbness of my lips and mouth, followed immediately by numbness in my left hand and a worsening of the chronic numbness in my left leg/foot. It was scary, because if you look lip and mouth numbness up on the Internet it says you could be having a stroke! So my doctor has ordered a cervical and lower back MRI (but the wait is like 6 months for an MRI in Quebec) along with more blood tests. In the meantime, I am going back on a strict gluten-free diet, and I'm going to give this NK thing a good try as well. I realize it's not a way to cure whatever's going on with me, but if I can at least get my energy up a bit that will be a victory!

As for supplements, I am taking CoQ10, along with alpha-lipoic acid, magnesium, vitamin C and vitamin D. I usually also take fish oil and a multi, but I am out of those. I can't even remember exactly why I am taking the CoQ10 and ALA--probably something I heard on Robb Wolf's podcast. Supplements are another thing that I cannot keep straight!

Sasonnier, thanks for reminding me about the salt. Actually, that was something I was thinking of asking about. I hesitate to use bullion cubes, because I'm afraid they may contain gluten (and I know they contain MSG and other such junk). So I'm just sort of salting stuff a lot, and once in a while I drink some warm salt water. Is that usually a good enough approach? I have a really hard time remembering to do things consistently (like the supplements--I miss them pretty often).

Anyway, sorry for the novel! The lip/mouth numbness thing freaked me out a bit, and I don't have anyone to talk to about it. Here in Quebec they have a 24/7 health info line to talk to a nurse. I called and she told me to go straight to emergency. But our health system is a real wreck--when I got there I had to wait about 45 minutes just to talk to a triage nurse. There were a ton of people and only like one doctor on duty, and the nurses were telling people the wait would be really long. I think there was one guy in there who had just had a heart attack or something, and he had to wait! So after waiting about three hours I just gave up and went home. The lip/mouth numbness had almost disappeared by then, and I felt OK. So, I guess the moral of this story is...DON'T have a stroke if you live in Quebec!
Old 11-21-2012, 06:01 AM   #668
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgemont View Post
There was only one product that was not a liquid that did not contain cellulose or some other nasty ingredient.
Uh, cellulose is probably the most common organic compound on earth. Makes up about 1/3rd of all plant matter. That would include stuff like lettuce and celery.

Call it "nasty", if you like. It certainly is not very digestible by humans. But I don't see the point in avoiding this substance.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:20 AM   #669
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjikun View Post
Kristn, that's a good idea about keeping a copy of the current tests (I did not keep a copy of the tests I had 3-4 years ago). I went yesterday for the blood draw, but did not think to take a copy of the requisition (drat!). I will get a copy of the results when they come back though. I don't know exactly what she's testing for thyroid. When I get it back I will definitely run it by you. I've done a fair amount of reading trying to figure this out, but there are so many possible conditions, test names, etc., it's so hard to keep it all straight! My mom had thyroid problems, so I guess it wouldn't be that surprising if I did too. I think my doctor would be pretty cool about doing whatever test I requested, as long as I can figure out what to request!
Your doctor might have a copy of your old test results. In the US they are required to give you a copy at your request, I'm sure it's the same in Canada. For thyroid at the very least you want TSH, Free T3, and Free T4. Stop the Thyroid Madness has a recommended labs page, you can google it. And FYI--the lab range for TSH is most likely wrong, so even though you may look "in range" for the lab, your thyroid can still be off. My not-so-great doctor who diagnosed me went by the more updated range of .3-3.0 for TSH, and even with that she would treat anyone over 2.0 with symptoms.

And if it turns out that there is something going on with your thyroid, just taking T4 (synthroid or other) doesn't work for a lot of people. If you have any type of conversion problem you will need to add some T3 (either synthetic or natural like Armour). This is also very hard to get many doctors to understand.

Quote:
Sasonnier, thanks for reminding me about the salt. Actually, that was something I was thinking of asking about. I hesitate to use bullion cubes, because I'm afraid they may contain gluten (and I know they contain MSG and other such junk). So I'm just sort of salting stuff a lot, and once in a while I drink some warm salt water. Is that usually a good enough approach? I have a really hard time remembering to do things consistently (like the supplements--I miss them pretty often).
Salt water is fine or you can make your own broth, or purchase gluten-free broth and add sea salt (that's what I do). You should be doing this daily!
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 11-21-2012, 06:21 AM   #670
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKSL55 View Post
Uh, cellulose is probably the most common organic compound on earth. Makes up about 1/3rd of all plant matter. That would include stuff like lettuce and celery.

Call it "nasty", if you like. It certainly is not very digestible by humans. But I don't see the point in avoiding this substance.
I think the problem with cellulose as a filler is that it keeps some people from absorbing the contents of their supplement or medication.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:22 AM   #671
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone. My weight inched down this morning by .4 and my ketones were up to 1.4! I'm not sure if it's hormonal or upping my Vitamin D, but I'll take it.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:25 AM   #672
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Woo hoo on the ketones!!

What kind of dessert did you figure out? I usually make a pumpkin custard (pumpkin pie without the crust), but this year I am making pumpkin cheesecake. I figure that I won't be eating much of the dinner, but will leave plenty of room for cheesecake.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:40 AM   #673
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I think the problem with cellulose as a filler is that it keeps some people from absorbing the contents of their supplement or medication.
Even if that is the case, I don't see the point in calling cellulose "nasty" and juxtaposing it with other "natural" substances, like the extract of a beaver's anal gland. I am just guessing here, but I would bet that all of us have partaken of the former (cellulose) in the past week -- likely with no ill effect. Whereas I would be surprised if a single one of us has indulged in any product derived from a beaver's anal gland.

Personally I would rather that someone who was concerned that cellulose was blocking micronutrient uptake, just say so, preferably providing a link to a study that indicates this is actually the case. Really no benefit whatsoever invoking beaver anal glands in this context that I can see.

--
Phillip
Old 11-21-2012, 07:03 AM   #674
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
What kind of dessert did you figure out? I usually make a pumpkin custard (pumpkin pie without the crust), but this year I am making pumpkin cheesecake. I figure that I won't be eating much of the dinner, but will leave plenty of room for cheesecake.
I had never made fat bombs before, so I thought I'd start with that. I had all the ingredients on hand already. Yes, it was a selfish choice!

But I still could go out later and get whatever I need to make some kind of low carb cheesecake that the rest of my family might want to eat!

Embarrassing confession: I embarked on my fat bomb journey a little while ago without realizing that it would be a good idea to confirm that I owned some kind of tray that I could pour the mixture into for cooling/hardening. That's right, not a single ice cube tray, muffin pan, nothing of the kind in my house. So, my bowl of mixture is sitting in the fridge, and I'm waiting for it to harden enough to try plopping out spoonfuls onto a regular baking sheet. I'm planning on melting an 85% dark chocolate bar with butter for a coating on the bombs once they get cool enough for that kind of thing... if ever?? I am really a disaster waiting to happen whenever I try something new in the kitchen.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:30 AM   #675
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Embarrassing confession: I embarked on my fat bomb journey a little while ago without realizing that it would be a good idea to confirm that I owned some kind of tray that I could pour the mixture into for cooling/hardening. That's right, not a single ice cube tray, muffin pan, nothing of the kind in my house. So, my bowl of mixture is sitting in the fridge, and I'm waiting for it to harden enough to try plopping out spoonfuls onto a regular baking sheet. I'm planning on melting an 85% dark chocolate bar with butter for a coating on the bombs once they get cool enough for that kind of thing... if ever?? I am really a disaster waiting to happen whenever I try something new in the kitchen.
I will be looking forward to hear how you figure this out. I am also working on getting some nice "fat bombs" ready to go. I found mixture I like: coconut oil with almond/hazelnut butter and cinnamon, but I haven't figured out how to harden them up properly. Like you, I don't own any ice-cube trays!
Old 11-21-2012, 07:35 AM   #676
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
For thyroid at the very least you want TSH, Free T3, and Free T4. Stop the Thyroid Madness has a recommended labs page, you can google it. And FYI--the lab range for TSH is most likely wrong, so even though you may look "in range" for the lab, your thyroid can still be off. My not-so-great doctor who diagnosed me went by the more updated range of .3-3.0 for TSH, and even with that she would treat anyone over 2.0 with symptoms.................And if it turns out that there is something going on with your thyroid, just taking T4 (synthroid or other) doesn't work for a lot of people. If you have any type of conversion problem you will need to add some T3 (either synthetic or natural like Armour). This is also very hard to get many doctors to understand.
Thanks a lot for the info! I will try to copy is somewhere where I will be likely to remember it. And good idea about adding sea-salt to gluten-free broth. I had seen some of that but it was low in salt, so I didn't get it. It would definitely be tastier than salt water!
Old 11-21-2012, 08:05 AM   #677
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I will be looking forward to hear how you figure this out. I am also working on getting some nice "fat bombs" ready to go. I found mixture I like: coconut oil with almond/hazelnut butter and cinnamon, but I haven't figured out how to harden them up properly. Like you, I don't own any ice-cube trays!
Well, it's going better than I thought it would...after letting the bowl set in the refrigerator for about 35 minutes, it had basically firmed up enough to spoon it out into individual blobs on a baking sheet. I put that back in the fridge to harden some more so I can dip them in the chocolate later.

Here's my "recipe" I cobbled together from various other recipes I found online and modified to fit what I actually have in the house.

1 stick butter
1 cup (ish) Walmart Brand Natural Creamy Peanut Butter
1/2 cup coconut oil
4 tbsp (ish) plain cream cheese

Put all that in a bowl, microwave it for a couple of minutes until it melts and can be mixed together thoroughly. I licked the spoon of the mixture in the bowl a few times, and I believe it's going to be yummy.

If you're like me, with nothing to use for a mold, let the mixture get kind of firm in the fridge (but maybe longer than 35 minutes!) before you try spooning it out onto a baking sheet. Then put the fat blobs in the fridge. I should trademark that... "fat blobs."

Since I'm making this up as I go along, I'll have to report back once it's ready for the chocolate coating!!

The chocolate coating I'm planning to use consists of the following:

1 whole bar of 85% Lindt dark chocolate
2 tbsp butter

I'm going to microwave those to melt them into a coating type substance, then play it by ear.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #678
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lianora Mosswood
Stats: 165/121/115 5'3" 54 yrs
WOE: locarb primal juddd
Start Date: January 2011
I really like the fat bomb ideas and experimentation going on. I am having issues with keeping my protein below 75g and being hungry, and can only put so much butter on food before it just drips off.

I am looking at a recipe I keep seeing on Pinterest to make ganache balls, basically, to put into hot milk for cocoa. I am going to play around with butter, CO and cocoa until I find a good ratio of each, then put these in my coffee with a little HWC for good measure. Trying to stay away from sweeteners for a while, so good thing I like strong, bitter coffee.

Breakfast today was basically a fat bomb: microwave-poached and egg in 1 T HWC, 1 T butter and had a small handful of macadamias, plus another T HWC in my coffee: 4% carb, 7% protein, 89% fat.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

On another note, like Sophie recently, I was sooooo hungry last night for some reason and ended up eating a boatload of macadamias and peanut butter, probably 1000 or so cals over what I might normally eat in a day, but today, another drop on the scale.

~ birdie
Old 11-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #679
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
1 stick butter
1 cup (ish) Walmart Brand Natural Creamy Peanut Butter
1/2 cup coconut oil
4 tbsp (ish) plain cream cheese
Wow, this mix sounds yummy. And once you add the chocolate--they are going to rock!

I just got back from buying my gluten-free bouillon and I found a fat-bomb solution: mini-cupcake cups. I have 2 mini-cupcake tins, so I can put them in there.

I also bought an additional ingredient that I'm thinking of adding: unsweetened coconut, and now (since reading your list) I'm thinking of adding butter (everything is better with butter, right?). So, these are my ingredients:

almond/hazelnut butter
unsweetened coconut
coconut oil
butter
cinnamon

I don't know yet about the amounts for each. I want to avoid putting too much coconut and nut butter, as they have significant carb amounts. I'm also not sure about freezer versus fridge. I want them hard, but not totally frozen. I will just have to experiment! I'm specifically not putting chocolate in them, because I eat a fair amount of 90% Lindt, and I like that all on its own (if you haven't tried the 90% yet definitely try it--I think it tastes way better than the 85%!).
Old 11-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #680
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sutton_02
Stats: 5'8" - Currently 172lbs / Goal of 150lbs
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Quote:
I just bought some mini muffin tin liners, lined them up on a cookie sheet or flat plate, filled them with about a tablespoon each, and stuck them in the freezer to harden. They keep their form enough that you don't need the actual tray. Plus, it is super easy to peel the paper off, and you get what looks like a peanut butter cup. I've also found that sprinkling a little bit of sea salt over the top of a nutty fat bomb makes them taste similar to peanut butter cups. Yummm!
Old 11-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #681
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sutton_02
Stats: 5'8" - Currently 172lbs / Goal of 150lbs
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbird View Post
On another note, like Sophie recently, I was sooooo hungry last night for some reason and ended up eating a boatload of macadamias and peanut butter, probably 1000 or so cals over what I might normally eat in a day, but today, another drop on the scale.
~ birdie
That happened to me as well. On Monday, I ate my weight in macadamia nuts, and ended up with like 3,500 calories for the day. Sure enough, Tuesday morning I had dropped 2 pounds overnight. The body sure is a confusing thing.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #682
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

About hypoglycemia, I've never been diagnosed with anything like that. I actually felt fine every time I tested my glucose. The time after my workout when it was so low, I felt pleasantly exhausted with no negative symptoms!
Well, I am no Endocrinologist, nor a physician of any kind, but I would not worry about a low glucose reading if you were feeling fine. Especially as you are in ketosis and thus have an extra fuel source your body can rely on.

About BHB levels increasing immediately after a workout--that has never happened to me. After my hard workout, I generally see BHB levels decreasing by about 1.5 mM. The entire issue is a little murky, though. I read a review on ketone bodies (a 'club' of which betahydroxybuterate (BHB) is an honorary member) that said, after sufficient keto-adaptation your muscles would stop using ketone bodies as fuel and instead rely on free fatty acids (FFAs) in your blood stream. Your muscles apparently even convert one of the other ketone bodies, acetoacetate (AcAc) into the more reduces (less 'burnt') BHB to help fuel your brain.

Not sure whether exercise promotes keto-adaptation over a longer term. Could be.

--
Phillip
Old 11-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #683
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Wow, this mix sounds yummy. And once you add the chocolate--they are going to rock!

I just got back from buying my gluten-free bouillon and I found a fat-bomb solution: mini-cupcake cups. I have 2 mini-cupcake tins, so I can put them in there.

I also bought an additional ingredient that I'm thinking of adding: unsweetened coconut, and now (since reading your list) I'm thinking of adding butter (everything is better with butter, right?). So, these are my ingredients:

almond/hazelnut butter
unsweetened coconut
coconut oil
butter
cinnamon

I don't know yet about the amounts for each. I want to avoid putting too much coconut and nut butter, as they have significant carb amounts. I'm also not sure about freezer versus fridge. I want them hard, but not totally frozen. I will just have to experiment! I'm specifically not putting chocolate in them, because I eat a fair amount of 90% Lindt, and I like that all on its own (if you haven't tried the 90% yet definitely try it--I think it tastes way better than the 85%!).

Well, I just tried one of the fat bombs and I do believe I'm in love! Luckily, they're so rich and creamy, I don't think I could eat more than one. The "dipping in chocolate" process was just as messy as I had feared, but after the chocolate-coated bombs had refrigerated a while longer, they turned out pretty firm!

I don't know anything about almond or hazelnut butter, since I've never had the opportunity to try either. But that certainly sounds healthier than the peanut butter I went with!!

Oh, I forgot to mention earlier that my particular recipe yielded about 12 fat blobs (), and the nutrition info is below, if I did the math right!

calories: 249.58
fat: 24.08 g
protein: 3.375 g
carbs: 6.125 g
fiber: 1.92 g
(net carbs = 4.21 g)
Old 11-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #684
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKSL55 View Post
Well, I am no Endocrinologist, nor a physician of any kind, but I would not worry about a low glucose reading if you were feeling fine. Especially as you are in ketosis and thus have an extra fuel source your body can rely on.

About BHB levels increasing immediately after a workout--that has never happened to me. After my hard workout, I generally see BHB levels decreasing by about 1.5 mM. The entire issue is a little murky, though. I read a review on ketone bodies (a 'club' of which betahydroxybuterate (BHB) is an honorary member) that said, after sufficient keto-adaptation your muscles would stop using ketone bodies as fuel and instead rely on free fatty acids (FFAs) in your blood stream. Your muscles apparently even convert one of the other ketone bodies, acetoacetate (AcAc) into the more reduces (less 'burnt') BHB to help fuel your brain.

Not sure whether exercise promotes keto-adaptation over a longer term. Could be.

--
Phillip
Thank you for this info! I restrained myself from checking ketones today after my workout since I was happy with my 1.1 reading early this morning. I'm hoping I'll get to 1.5 in the morning soon, since I think I read somewhere that 1.5 and up is "optimal." Not sure what that means... I know that "nutritional ketosis" begins at the .5 mark, but maybe 1.5 and above means you're really becoming keto-adapted and should feel even better. It would probably help if I read the Volek/Phinney books, right??
Old 11-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #685
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton_02 View Post
I just bought some mini muffin tin liners, lined them up on a cookie sheet or flat plate, filled them with about a tablespoon each, and stuck them in the freezer to harden. They keep their form enough that you don't need the actual tray. Plus, it is super easy to peel the paper off, and you get what looks like a peanut butter cup. I've also found that sprinkling a little bit of sea salt over the top of a nutty fat bomb makes them taste similar to peanut butter cups. Yummm!

I love this idea!!! I'm totally going to get those for my next batch of fat bombs (bombs, not blobs...I'm determined!).
Old 11-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #686
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tablis
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton_02 View Post
That happened to me as well. On Monday, I ate my weight in macadamia nuts, and ended up with like 3,500 calories for the day. Sure enough, Tuesday morning I had dropped 2 pounds overnight. The body sure is a confusing thing.
Hmm... that doesn't sound so hard! Maybe I'll give that a try!
Old 11-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #687
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Good morning everyone. My weight inched down this morning by .4 and my ketones were up to 1.4! I'm not sure if it's hormonal or upping my Vitamin D, but I'll take it.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #688
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Your doctor might have a copy of your old test results. In the US they are required to give you a copy at your request, I'm sure it's the same in Canada. For thyroid at the very least you want TSH, Free T3, and Free T4. Stop the Thyroid Madness has a recommended labs page, you can google it. And FYI--the lab range for TSH is most likely wrong, so even though you may look "in range" for the lab, your thyroid can still be off. My not-so-great doctor who diagnosed me went by the more updated range of .3-3.0 for TSH, and even with that she would treat anyone over 2.0 with symptoms.

And if it turns out that there is something going on with your thyroid, just taking T4 (synthroid or other) doesn't work for a lot of people. If you have any type of conversion problem you will need to add some T3 (either synthetic or natural like Armour). This is also very hard to get many doctors to understand.
Thanks for this information. I just looked at all my old blood tests and see that I have been tested for TSH, about once year for the past bunch of yrs but not T3 or T4. There were a couple including the most recent about a year ago that were above 2.0 but the dr. said it was fine. I will ask for a repeat and also the t3 and 4 this time.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #689
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome!

SouthernGirl61, yes I think my doctor is trying to exhaust every possibility. Three-four years ago I had an episode of this, and she did a ton of blood work, brain MRI, and sent me to a rheumatologist (based on a high ANA titer, which my doctor did not understand) and a neurologist. The rheumatologist said my symptoms were not specific for any conditions, but that I should definitely come back when I started to get some more specific symptoms! The neurologist had no idea. She ordered a cervical MRI, but I didn't go through with it (I live in Quebec, and wait times are extremely long. By the time my MRI was scheduled the episode of numbness/exhaustion was long over, and I felt much better after having switched to low-carb primal eating.)

This time the episode started with a very sudden and marked numbness of my lips and mouth, followed immediately by numbness in my left hand and a worsening of the chronic numbness in my left leg/foot. It was scary, because if you look lip and mouth numbness up on the Internet it says you could be having a stroke! So my doctor has ordered a cervical and lower back MRI (but the wait is like 6 months for an MRI in Quebec) along with more blood tests. In the meantime, I am going back on a strict gluten-free diet, and I'm going to give this NK thing a good try as well. I realize it's not a way to cure whatever's going on with me, but if I can at least get my energy up a bit that will be a victory!

As for supplements, I am taking CoQ10, along with alpha-lipoic acid, magnesium, vitamin C and vitamin D. I usually also take fish oil and a multi, but I am out of those. I can't even remember exactly why I am taking the CoQ10 and ALA--probably something I heard on Robb Wolf's podcast. Supplements are another thing that I cannot keep straight!

Anyway, sorry for the novel! The lip/mouth numbness thing freaked me out a bit, and I don't have anyone to talk to about it. Here in Quebec they have a 24/7 health info line to talk to a nurse. I called and she told me to go straight to emergency. But our health system is a real wreck--when I got there I had to wait about 45 minutes just to talk to a triage nurse. There were a ton of people and only like one doctor on duty, and the nurses were telling people the wait would be really long. I think there was one guy in there who had just had a heart attack or something, and he had to wait! So after waiting about three hours I just gave up and went home. The lip/mouth numbness had almost disappeared by then, and I felt OK. So, I guess the moral of this story is...DON'T have a stroke if you live in Quebec!
where in quebec are you? maybe you can drive across the border to plattsburg or something and have it done there. I know quite a few canadians who have done that...
Old 11-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #690
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
Hey guys! so far I have done much better today than yesterday

I actually fasted until this afternoon (figured my body needed a break from the cashew binge last night). As much as I hate fasting, I hate eating breakfast and feeling like I have so little food to enjoy for the rest of the day. It's more mental than anything I think.

I did pick up mac nuts in case I feel the need for nuts- at least they are a safer bet.
glad to hear!
I on the other hand am starving today! go figure
Closed Thread