Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #631
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who responded to my earlier posts...not much time to reply to everyone individually today.

I took another ketone reading this morning shortly after waking up (no coffee, food, or exercise) and it was 0.7. That's in range but not comfortably so. I think I will test later this morning after my workout just for fun. If I understand correctly, if my reading goes up after exercise, that's not "artificially" elevated as it would be after consuming coconut oil, right? Because if the ketones are present due to exercise, that's really a sign of fat burning?

About the gout thing, I had already been eating "low" carb for a long time before I experienced the toe pain. Maybe not low carb enough for optimal health or weight loss (70-100g a day or so?) but surely not enough to contribute to gout? But it would not have been unusual for me to eat 200g of protein in a day at that time, and probably an average of 170g or so. Maybe the protein was so high, much of it was being converted to glucose and the result was the same as if I were eating a high carb diet!!

Just for comparison, my daily intake is more like this now, and has been for almost a month:
protein: 55-90g (tends to be higher when we eat out)
carbs: 25g or less (total, not net)
fat: 90-180g (varies widely since I don't try to restrict it)
calories: 1500-2100 (see above note)

I'm taking a one day break from the magnesium today to see what happens if I still have the coconut oil with eggs at lunch time. Maybe a little less today though.

--------------
Lindsay (unstrungharp)

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #632
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: wrigglycate
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Mid October 2012
Thought I would share this blog post ---- I found it very reassuring and helpful.
PaleOasis: 50 Days to Nutritional Ketosis I hope it's OK to post the web address as it is not a retail site.
If it's not OK to post the website the blog is at paleOasis and the entry by Lisa Lawrence is for Sunday Nov 18 and titled 50 days to Nutritional Ketosis
Old 11-20-2012, 06:47 AM   #633
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablis View Post
d'you think we'd have to lose our custom foods?
That's a good question. I would guess that by buying a membership you wouldn't lose custom foods. I wonder if there is a way to email them and ask about that and if it's any faster? You got me thinking about buying a membership as well...
I also hate that I have to re-sign in after every hour or so....I wish it would just keep me signed in
Old 11-20-2012, 06:48 AM   #634
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tablis
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnstrungHarp View Post
My work has finally slowed down so I have time to stop in and post a big update. I've had a lot of things come up I wanted to mention and to ask about...hope I can remember them all!

First, I tested my blood glucose on several occasions after getting my free Precision meter (waiting for my ketone strips to arrive). I was happy to see that I apparently have very healthy glucose levels (I think?). I wasn't sure how long to wait after eating, so I tested an hour after (81) then two hours after (74). I tested at other times, including one hour after a really tough morning workout, empty stomach (50). Probably the best-timed postprandial reading was just yesterday at 40 minutes after lunch (93). Looks like my glucose may peak fairly quickly after eating then, less than an hour. My question about all that is, does anyone know or have a theory about keto adaptation making your blood glucose levels never go up very much at all?
I've been reading a bunch about how these glucose montitors are sometimes not so accurate. If you were to get another strange reading ie:50 I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to recheck right away on another strip to see if you get the same thing. I know it wastes a strip though...

Quote:
On a related note, I received my ketone strips today! Just in time, because I had run out of glucose strips and was dying to test something. So, my first ketone reading, after following NK in earnest since Nov 1, was 1.6!
That was at 2:30 this afternoon, about 2 hours after lunch and having not done any workout today. ?
Thats awesome!

Quote:
But the other thing is not so nice. I'm trying to figure out the source of the bathroom issues I've been having. I believe it's going to be the magnesium I started taking recently and/or the coconut oil I'm cooking my eggs in. Today was the absolute worst...less than an hour after lunch (that included the eggs in CO and the 400 mg magnesium supplement), I had quite a bit of distress (diarrhea). I've had that problem to some degree almost every day for at least a week but nothing too horrible. I can't handle another day like today though, so tomorrow I'm dropping the magnesium dose to 200mg and cutting back on the coconut oil.

Guess that's about it. Happy thanksgiving everybody!
Feel bad about your bathroom issues but I gotta say that diarrhea sounds good to me right now what kind of foods are you eating?
Old 11-20-2012, 06:50 AM   #635
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
That's a good question. I would guess that by buying a membership you wouldn't lose custom foods. I wonder if there is a way to email them and ask about that and if it's any faster? You got me thinking about buying a membership as well...
I also hate that I have to re-sign in after every hour or so....I wish it would just keep me signed in
So, I just emailed them and will see if I get a reply and let you know what they say
Old 11-20-2012, 06:51 AM   #636
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
me too and I feel like this is taking way to much time. also, is it just my settings or something or do you also have your recent foods not alphabetized?
thing is you can't buy one month to try you have to buy a whole year and its not tons of $$ but still - I wonder if its going to be much better

there is a contact page- but i'm guessing that when you purchase they keep all your previous data.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:54 AM   #637
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who responded to my earlier posts...not much time to reply to everyone individually today.

I took another ketone reading this morning shortly after waking up (no coffee, food, or exercise) and it was 0.7. That's in range but not comfortably so. I think I will test later this morning after my workout just for fun. If I understand correctly, if my reading goes up after exercise, that's not "artificially" elevated as it would be after consuming coconut oil, right? Because if the ketones are present due to exercise, that's really a sign of fat burning?

About the gout thing, I had already been eating "low" carb for a long time before I experienced the toe pain. Maybe not low carb enough for optimal health or weight loss (70-100g a day or so?) but surely not enough to contribute to gout? But it would not have been unusual for me to eat 200g of protein in a day at that time, and probably an average of 170g or so. Maybe the protein was so high, much of it was being converted to glucose and the result was the same as if I were eating a high carb diet!!

Just for comparison, my daily intake is more like this now, and has been for almost a month:
protein: 55-90g (tends to be higher when we eat out)
carbs: 25g or less (total, not net)
fat: 90-180g (varies widely since I don't try to restrict it)
calories: 1500-2100 (see above note)

I'm taking a one day break from the magnesium today to see what happens if I still have the coconut oil with eggs at lunch time. Maybe a little less today though.

--------------
Lindsay (unstrungharp)
Did you have high uric acid? I used to have horrible shooting pains in big toe at night that seemed like it could be gout but my uric acid was not high and I never ended up looking into it. I don't have it now either but it is the kind of thing that comes and goes. Like I would have it for a week and then not again for a couple of months. No clue what it was.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:56 AM   #638
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigglycate View Post
Thought I would share this blog post ---- I found it very reassuring and helpful.
PaleOasis: 50 Days to Nutritional Ketosis I hope it's OK to post the web address as it is not a retail site.
If it's not OK to post the website the blog is at paleOasis and the entry by Lisa Lawrence is for Sunday Nov 18 and titled 50 days to Nutritional Ketosis

THANKS for this link!
Old 11-20-2012, 06:59 AM   #639
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: wrigglycate
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Mid October 2012
I did a bunch of cooking on Sunday - made Oopsie Rolls and froze them for future use, Also made some fat bombs with dried coconut in them and used erythritol and a few drops of stevia for sweetener. I also made some Fatbread #3 from the Free the Animal Blog. Fat Bread: Third Time's The Charm. Mission Accomplished! | Free The Animal
The fatbread didn't rise very well but I forgot to add the baking soda until after I had put the bread in the oven -- I suddenly remembered and took it out and poured it into my mixer and added the baking soda --- maybe next time if I have my wits about me it will work out better. I baked it in an regular 8.5 inch long loaf pan and it made 18 slices.
This recipe is 81% fat 11% Protein and 9% carbs.
I also ordered some cardiac, thyroid and Vit D labwork at healthcheckUSA just because it's been many years since I had any done. I'll go in later this morning and have it drawn.

Last edited by wrigglycate; 11-20-2012 at 07:07 AM.. Reason: punctuation and added some information
Old 11-20-2012, 07:05 AM   #640
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Good morning everyone! I am behind in my reading of this thread. I messed up my alarm yesterday and woke up late and felt "late" the entire day. I have so much work to do before the long weekend! I'm going to try to read in between my work this morning--hopefully I'll be able to catch up with all of you NKers.

My news is that my ketone readings are going back into the range (this morning they were 1.0), but my weight is also inching up (this morning 152.6--my highest since I hit goal in August). I keep thinking about Dr. Phinney saying that he gains 5 pounds every fall without changing anything. But I'm not so sure that I haven't changed anything. I was ravenously hungry on Sunday, I kept eating fat but never really felt like I was full. And Monday was another "hungry" day. I'm not thrilled to be heading into Thanksgiving with my weight up and struggling to feel sated.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 11-20-2012, 07:12 AM   #641
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Congrats on being in range in the a.m.!! In the Performance book they say that after exercise many athletes will show ketones even if they're not in ketosis at other times. I don't know whether this is "artificially" elevated. If you're already reading in ketosis at .7, it will hopefully just enhance your ketosis.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:18 AM   #642
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigglycate View Post
I did a bunch of cooking on Sunday - made Oopsie Rolls and froze them for future use, Also made some fat bombs with dried coconut in them and used erythritol and a few drops of stevia for sweetener. I also made some Fatbread #3 from the Free the Animal Blog. Fat Bread: Third Time's The Charm. Mission Accomplished! | Free The Animal
The fatbread didn't rise very well but I forgot to add the baking soda until after I had put the bread in the oven -- I suddenly remembered and took it out and poured it into my mixer and added the baking soda --- maybe next time if I have my wits about me it will work out better. I baked it in an regular 8.5 inch long loaf pan and it made 18 slices.
This recipe is 81% fat 11% Protein and 9% carbs.
I'm thinking about making this bread or the one that Tom Naughton posted on his Fat Head blog. I haven't had a post-Thanksgiving turkey sandwich in 11 years!
Old 11-20-2012, 07:36 AM   #643
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Good morning everyone! I am behind in my reading of this thread. I messed up my alarm yesterday and woke up late and felt "late" the entire day. I have so much work to do before the long weekend! I'm going to try to read in between my work this morning--hopefully I'll be able to catch up with all of you NKers.

My news is that my ketone readings are going back into the range (this morning they were 1.0), but my weight is also inching up (this morning 152.6--my highest since I hit goal in August). I keep thinking about Dr. Phinney saying that he gains 5 pounds every fall without changing anything. But I'm not so sure that I haven't changed anything. I was ravenously hungry on Sunday, I kept eating fat but never really felt like I was full. And Monday was another "hungry" day. I'm not thrilled to be heading into Thanksgiving with my weight up and struggling to feel sated.
Ktistn, while I have no doubt that this is true for Dr. Phinney, I would suggest that it is a bigger battle for women due to hormones. You may be doing a `seasonal gain`and fighting monthly hormonal changes at the same time. Give it a week or so before you hit the panic button.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #644
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:
Did you have high uric acid? I used to have horrible shooting pains in big toe at night that seemed like it could be gout but my uric acid was not high and I never ended up looking into it. I don't have it now either but it is the kind of thing that comes and goes. Like I would have it for a week and then not again for a couple of months. No clue what it was.
I have no idea, unfortunately. The toe pain was never bad enough for me to see a doctor so I was never tested. I was unofficially diagnosed by my husband who said "sounds like gout."

I never thought it was really gout because it only hurt when I was working out, for example, a lunge when my left foot was in the back. So my toes were bent that way. The pain was at the base of the big toe, and I would have to change the position of my foot or else I couldn't do the lunge. To my knowledge, I hadn't injured my foot in any way, and the pain was consistently there in every workout for months and months. Suddenly I noticed it was completely gone in a the middle of a recent workout. I'm not sure how long it had been gone before that...

To answer your question from another post about what I'm eating, here is a typical day:

6:30 a.m. coffee with heavy cream and sweet n low (gasp!)...I usually drink 3 cups and add about 1 to 2 tbsp of cream and 2 packets of sweet n low to each cup. Along with the coffee, I take probiotics and 3 prescription meds. (Zoloft, Wellbutrin, and tofacitinib for psoriasis)

7:30 or 8:30ish, workout, depending on how my work looks for the day. Today I haven't started yet but will after I finish this post!

What I eat any time between 9:30 and 11 is what I consider my lunch... The time varies greatly depending on when I start my workout. (I work at home, so schedule is flexible.) Pretty much without variation, this is my lunch every day:
3 whole eggs cooked in 1tbsp butter and 1tbsp coconut oil
3 strips of bacon
Some spinach and broccoli mixed in with the scrambled eggs...when uncooked, the spinach is about 2 cups, broccoli about 1/4 cup.
2 tbsp sour cream mixed in with the eggy-spinach-broccoli scramble

Along with that meal, I take all my daily vitamins, which includes GNC Super Magnesium (400mg). That is what I'm going to change...to 200mg at bedtime, probably. It was only an hour or so after the above lunch and vitamins that I had the bathroom distress yesterday.

If I feel like it later in the afternoon, I might eat a half serving of macadamia nuts.

Dinner can vary widely in timing and content...but it's gonna consist of some meat and a green vegetable 90% of the time. After that, I'll either eat a serving of plain Greek yogurt or 2 squares of at least 70% dark chocolate. Those things make me feel like I still get to have dessert.

I hope that info is helpful to you! I do believe the coconut oil and/or magnesium is the key to getting things moving.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #645
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
me too and I feel like this is taking way to much time. also, is it just my settings or something or do you also have your recent foods not alphabetized?
thing is you can't buy one month to try you have to buy a whole year and its not tons of $$ but still - I wonder if its going to be much better

there is a contact page- but i'm guessing that when you purchase they keep all your previous data.
My recent foods are alphabetized
Old 11-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #646
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I have no idea, unfortunately. The toe pain was never bad enough for me to see a doctor so I was never tested. I was unofficially diagnosed by my husband who said "sounds like gout."

I never thought it was really gout because it only hurt when I was working out, for example, a lunge when my left foot was in the back. So my toes were bent that way. The pain was at the base of the big toe, and I would have to change the position of my foot or else I couldn't do the lunge. To my knowledge, I hadn't injured my foot in any way, and the pain was consistently there in every workout for months and months. Suddenly I noticed it was completely gone in a the middle of a recent workout. I'm not sure how long it had been gone before that...

To answer your question from another post about what I'm eating, here is a typical day:

6:30 a.m. coffee with heavy cream and sweet n low (gasp!)...I usually drink 3 cups and add about 1 to 2 tbsp of cream and 2 packets of sweet n low to each cup. Along with the coffee, I take probiotics and 3 prescription meds. (Zoloft, Wellbutrin, and tofacitinib for psoriasis)

7:30 or 8:30ish, workout, depending on how my work looks for the day. Today I haven't started yet but will after I finish this post!

What I eat any time between 9:30 and 11 is what I consider my lunch... The time varies greatly depending on when I start my workout. (I work at home, so schedule is flexible.) Pretty much without variation, this is my lunch every day:
3 whole eggs cooked in 1tbsp butter and 1tbsp coconut oil
3 strips of bacon
Some spinach and broccoli mixed in with the scrambled eggs...when uncooked, the spinach is about 2 cups, broccoli about 1/4 cup.
2 tbsp sour cream mixed in with the eggy-spinach-broccoli scramble

Along with that meal, I take all my daily vitamins, which includes GNC Super Magnesium (400mg). That is what I'm going to change...to 200mg at bedtime, probably. It was only an hour or so after the above lunch and vitamins that I had the bathroom distress yesterday.

If I feel like it later in the afternoon, I might eat a half serving of macadamia nuts.

Dinner can vary widely in timing and content...but it's gonna consist of some meat and a green vegetable 90% of the time. After that, I'll either eat a serving of plain Greek yogurt or 2 squares of at least 70% dark chocolate. Those things make me feel like I still get to have dessert.

I hope that info is helpful to you! I do believe the coconut oil and/or magnesium is the key to getting things moving.
Thanks for this.
Hmm. I don't eat any dairy or drink coffee I wonder if that's the difference.
My sister always says that coffee helps her move things along but I never got into the coffee habit.
I'm eating 3 tbsps of CO - in a fat bomb and 600 mg magnesiu. I'm gonna up my magnesium tonight to 800 and see how that goes.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #647
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Good morning!

Busy at work today - I started this post over an hour ago and am just now getting back to it. I like being busy like this, as it makes the day go by faster. As long as I'm not working 16-hour days all the time, then it's a nice balance

I had my house cleaned yesterday for the first time ever (by a cleaning service). WOW. I will seriously take up a second job to continue to be able to afford the cleaning service if I have to! I hate cleaning and, quite frankly, I'm bad at it. I had 3 women in my home for less than 2 hours, and the house is sparkling. It looks great, smells great, and they did such nice little extra touches, like changed the bed sheets and folded the top tissue in each box and toilet paper on the rolls like in a hotel What a relief to let someone else do all that work in preparation for holiday guests. It would have taken me at least 2 hours to do JUST my kitchen, whereas they did all the floors, dusted everything (including window sills, blinds, and baseboards), scrubbed the kitchen sink/counters/appliances, cleaned the bathroom sinks/counters/tubs/toilets...I am beyond pleased. Okay, enough about that...can you tell I'm happy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
If I could add a word of caution, cashews aren't the best nuts to eat - an ounce serving is 8 carbs. For me they're a trigger food - I can never stop at one ounce, and they leave me hungry for more carbs. Macadamias are a better choice because of the high fat content.
I'm not a huge fan of macadamias, but I agree that cashews are pretty high carb-wise, which sucks because I love them! I opt for almonds since a lot of their carbs are fiber, so they're very low in net carbs and still have good fat. They're the lowest net carb nut I've found.
Quote:
I have been using free ****** and the ads are making me crazy and it goes so slow-its just taking up too much time. I have tried a couple of others and didn't like any of them.
I stopped using ****** years ago because I was so frustrated with it - I'm sure they've improved it since then. In any case, I use the MyPlate feature on livestrong.com. I use the free version. The only down side for me is there is no free mobile app, but I'm on a computer all day at work, so I just sneak in here and there throughout the day.
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)
Old 11-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #648
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
.. (for both of my sons )
That's pretty cute.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #649
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Ktistn, while I have no doubt that this is true for Dr. Phinney, I would suggest that it is a bigger battle for women due to hormones. You may be doing a `seasonal gain`and fighting monthly hormonal changes at the same time. Give it a week or so before you hit the panic button.
Thank you for the encouragement Cathy! I will not panic yet..
Old 11-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #650
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Good morning!

Busy at work today - I started this post over an hour ago and am just now getting back to it. I like being busy like this, as it makes the day go by faster. As long as I'm not working 16-hour days all the time, then it's a nice balance

I had my house cleaned yesterday for the first time ever (by a cleaning service). WOW. I will seriously take up a second job to continue to be able to afford the cleaning service if I have to! I hate cleaning and, quite frankly, I'm bad at it. I had 3 women in my home for less than 2 hours, and the house is sparkling. It looks great, smells great, and they did such nice little extra touches, like changed the bed sheets and folded the top tissue in each box and toilet paper on the rolls like in a hotel What a relief to let someone else do all that work in preparation for holiday guests. It would have taken me at least 2 hours to do JUST my kitchen, whereas they did all the floors, dusted everything (including window sills, blinds, and baseboards), scrubbed the kitchen sink/counters/appliances, cleaned the bathroom sinks/counters/tubs/toilets...I am beyond pleased. Okay, enough about that...can you tell I'm happy?

I'm not a huge fan of macadamias, but I agree that cashews are pretty high carb-wise, which sucks because I love them! I opt for almonds since a lot of their carbs are fiber, so they're very low in net carbs and still have good fat. They're the lowest net carb nut I've found.

I stopped using ****** years ago because I was so frustrated with it - I'm sure they've improved it since then. In any case, I use the MyPlate feature on livestrong.com. I use the free version. The only down side for me is there is no free mobile app, but I'm on a computer all day at work, so I just sneak in here and there throughout the day.
Enjoy your clean house! I love that feeling and its the best when someone else does it for you!

thanks for the tip on myplate I'm going to give it a try too.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #651
Senior LCF Member

Here's a typical day for me
any advice/comments?

1 oz hazel nuts
1 fat bomb (.75 TBS CO, .75 TBS Cocoa, .75 PB, tsp splenda)

150 gm ground beef fried
2 cup Lettuce
2 Tbsp Flaxseed oil

2 eggs
2 tbsp canola

2 packets crystal lite

1674 cals
67.6 gm protein
Total carbs 25.6

78.8%/16.9%/6%
Old 11-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #652
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anjikun
Hi all--not sure where to post...

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post.

Basically, I've decided to try nutritional ketosis, inspired by Jimmy Moore's n=1 experiment, which follows the Phinney/Volek books (which I do not have).

I just got the ketone meter today and should have my strips tomorrow. I'm hoping to just track ketones and not track macronutrient ratios. I used a formula that I found on one of these threads to discover that I need about 85 grams of protein per day. I figure about 4 protein servings a day is about right to cover that. I've eaten low-carb on and off for 4 years, so I know how to get my grams of carbs under 50 without tracking. Then I just fill in the rest with quality fat--does that sound feasible?

My goal is not really to lose weight. I guess I am about 15-20 pounds from my ideal weight right now, but that is not my main concern. I have a problem with numbness in my extremities (mononeuritis multiplex) but my doctor cannot figure out why. The numbness is not that debilitating, but it comes with exhaustion, and that is the real problem. My energy levels are just in the TANK, so that is why I am doing this. It seems that many people experience much higher levels of energy with ketosis, so that is what I am going for.

So I guess I am looking for a thread/section of the forum where people who are doing something similar this are posting, so I can give/get advice and moral support. Is this the right thread?
Old 11-20-2012, 01:32 PM   #653
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjikun View Post
Hello,

Basically, I've decided to try nutritional ketosis, inspired by Jimmy Moore's n=1 experiment, which follows the Phinney/Volek books (which I do not have).

I just got the ketone meter today and should have my strips tomorrow. I'm hoping to just track ketones and not track macronutrient ratios. I used a formula that I found on one of these threads to discover that I need about 85 grams of protein per day. I figure about 4 protein servings a day is about right to cover that. I've eaten low-carb on and off for 4 years, so I know how to get my grams of carbs under 50 without tracking. Then I just fill in the rest with quality fat--does that sound feasible?

My goal is not really to lose weight. I guess I am about 15-20 pounds from my ideal weight right now, but that is not my main concern. I have a problem with numbness in my extremities (mononeuritis multiplex) but my doctor cannot figure out why. The numbness is not that debilitating, but it comes with exhaustion, and that is the real problem. My energy levels are just in the TANK, so that is why I am doing this. It seems that many people experience much higher levels of energy with ketosis, so that is what I am going for.

So I guess I am looking for a thread/section of the forum where people who are doing something similar this are posting, so I can give/get advice and moral support. Is this the right thread?
Anjikun!

If you can get into NK and you aren't worried about losing then I think that you have a good plan. I found tracking extremely helpful in both getting into NK and losing weight. But now that I am not trying to lose I do not track closely any more unless my meter or my scale tells me that something is going wrong.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #654
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hello,

Welcome!
I'm kind of new at this myself but it looks like you caught up on all the basics of NK and you are in the right place. I would recommend tracking at least for a few days at least to make sure you are getting your macros right. It's kind of hard to estimate how many actual grams of protein are in "protein" for examlpe 30 gm of chicken breast has 8.87 gms of protein.
btw in NK carb counts are total carbs not net carbs in case you didn't see that.
Regarding your numbness and tiredness. I hope this WOE helps you but in the meantime I'm wondering if you've had your b12 levels checked. Many drs overlook that or aren't aware of it but your symptoms could be from a b12 deficiency (or other things...) but if its b12 it can become really serious if it goes on for too long and shots can resolve it fairly quickly if its caught early enough. good luck to you and feel better!
Old 11-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #655
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anjikun
Hi Kristn and Tablis,

Thanks so much for your welcome messages. After posting earlier today, I read the whole thread--wow, so much information and so many helpful and encouraging people. I see that I am definitely in the right place. I am so glad I found my way here!

In terms of the B12, yes, my doctor is checking everything. I had an episode of this a few years back and she checked everything under the sun and couldn't find anything. Now it's happening again, so she is checking everything again.

She actually told me "I hope I don't find anything, because the things that cause this are all serious"--not sure how to take that..., I have to deal with the symptoms and exhaustion, so NOT knowing the cause of it is not exactly helping me out! One pleasant surprise though--I told her I was going to try nutritional ketosis to try to increase my energy levels, and she didn't discourage me or think I was a total nutcase. She said that as long as I ate some vegetables it should be OK!

In terms of tracking, I've tracked before with ******, but right now I am feeling too exhausted to do it. The pop-up ads just drive me crazy, and it's so time-consuming. I am a single mom with two little kids, so with my exhaustion it is just all I can do to get food on the table for everybody. That's partly why I decided to get the meter/strips. My plan is to wait a week or so eating as low carb/high fat as possible and then start testing. If I'm not in NK then I will start tracking carbs/protein to make sure they are in line.

Honestly, I'm so glad I found you guys. I have been doing lowish-carb off and on lately but my energy levels have been so incredibly low, and I have been unable to workout much at all. At this point even a short walk (or a trip from downstairs to upstairs) leaves me exhausted. I am really hoping that actually getting into ketosis will make a difference (I suspect I haven't been in ketosis before because I know my protein intake was really high).

Mary
Old 11-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #656
Major LCF Poster!

Mary--I know that your doctor tested you for everything, but did she do the right thyroid tests? Your symptoms sound like thyroid to me and I went to doctors for years who told me there was nothing wrong with me! It was just discussed on this thread how most doctors don't do the right tests (or don't know how to correctly interpret the tests they order) and don't know how to correctly treat thyroid. The thyroid board here at Low Carb Friends and the Stop the Thyroid Madness websites are great places to start looking for the right tests and treatment.

Do you have your labs from your last round of tests? I now keep copies of every lab test that I get so I can go back and look at them if there's ever a question.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #657
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Hi to all today!
Hey Maureen, keep us posted on the Glycosolve.
Tablis, I didn't track at first; then I tracked for about 2 weeks; then I went back to eyeballing the protein, I measure cream and easy stuff...but I just don't have time in my day to do that. I have my routine now, so it works. ****** just aggravated me.
Sophie, nice to get the boys involved! Love it. Don't allow yourself to get hungry, find protein, fat, and relax. I love cashews, but can't seem to stop at 20, 21, 22....
Hi Cathy! What's the recipe for the newest Avi?
Lindsay, it took me a few weeks to get the magnesium at the levels that work for me, but taking it in the evenings helped, and so far, never had issue with it at sleeptime! If your toe flares up again, you should get the uric acid checked.
Wriggly, thanks for sharing the site, I marked it quick in case you get censored!! I would like to try some of the LC breads, but DH isn't ready yet....he thinks it will make him crave "old triggers"...so it'on the list for when he is out of town!
Hi Kristin, good on readings, interesting on creep up....don't panic, if it bothers you, cut back on something small and see if that helps. Hate to bring it up....but those nasty hormones could be causing issues too...have you had a recent FST?
Jilly, now I need to consider having a cleaning service in, maybe few times a year. Sounds like a wonderful treat.
Welcome Anjikun/Mary! Sounds like you are off to a great start! I have numbness in my extremities as well, annoying at times when your arm goes dead and you need it!!! Mine is cervical disc ruptures, C-5, C-6, C-7. The nerve tingling is nuts too. Has your doc exhausted all possible diagnosis? Killing the sugar, wheat, etc, should improve it if it is not spine related. I hope it does for you! Do you take CoQ10?
Old 11-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #658
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi Kristn and Tablis,

Thanks so much for your welcome messages. After posting earlier today, I read the whole thread--wow, so much information and so many helpful and encouraging people. I see that I am definitely in the right place. I am so glad I found my way here!

In terms of the B12, yes, my doctor is checking everything. I had an episode of this a few years back and she checked everything under the sun and couldn't find anything. Now it's happening again, so she is checking everything again.

She actually told me "I hope I don't find anything, because the things that cause this are all serious"--not sure how to take that..., I have to deal with the symptoms and exhaustion, so NOT knowing the cause of it is not exactly helping me out! One pleasant surprise though--I told her I was going to try nutritional ketosis to try to increase my energy levels, and she didn't discourage me or think I was a total nutcase. She said that as long as I ate some vegetables it should be OK!

In terms of tracking, I've tracked before with ******, but right now I am feeling too exhausted to do it. The pop-up ads just drive me crazy, and it's so time-consuming. I am a single mom with two little kids, so with my exhaustion it is just all I can do to get food on the table for everybody. That's partly why I decided to get the meter/strips. My plan is to wait a week or so eating as low carb/high fat as possible and then start testing. If I'm not in NK then I will start tracking carbs/protein to make sure they are in line.

Honestly, I'm so glad I found you guys. I have been doing lowish-carb off and on lately but my energy levels have been so incredibly low, and I have been unable to workout much at all. At this point even a short walk (or a trip from downstairs to upstairs) leaves me exhausted. I am really hoping that actually getting into ketosis will make a difference (I suspect I haven't been in ketosis before because I know my protein intake was really high).

Mary
Welcome Mary- i will throw in a suggestion as well....when I first started eating NK, I didn't up my salt intake- and I felt lousy- exhausted, hungry, foggy, etc. Once Kristn suggested i up my salt- I did (I salt everything w/a good sea salt) and my energy levels popped back up (although I haven't gotten over the hunger part just yet). Just thinking of how tired you say you are, I would definitely be careful to salt your food. I hope you find complete health- and soon!
Old 11-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #659
Senior LCF Member

Hey guys! so far I have done much better today than yesterday

I actually fasted until this afternoon (figured my body needed a break from the cashew binge last night). As much as I hate fasting, I hate eating breakfast and feeling like I have so little food to enjoy for the rest of the day. It's more mental than anything I think.

I did pick up mac nuts in case I feel the need for nuts- at least they are a safer bet.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #660
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hey guys! so far I have done much better today than yesterday

I actually fasted until this afternoon (figured my body needed a break from the cashew binge last night). As much as I hate fasting, I hate eating breakfast and feeling like I have so little food to enjoy for the rest of the day. It's more mental than anything I think.

I did pick up mac nuts in case I feel the need for nuts- at least they are a safer bet.
I'm glad to hear that you're doing better today!
Closed Thread