Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #601
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
My keyboard is really acting up, think it is worn out, so if my typing looks worse than usual util I get a new one, please bear with me.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #602
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Ha, ha!!! I am waiting on that as well!!

Jimmy Moore is taking Glycosolve which is the branded name of berberine. There is some recent Canadian research on it (can't put my finger on the link at the moment and will later if anyone is interested) but here is a little wiki article about it....

Berberine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Will will read that it is good for a lot of things but I am mainly interested in the metabolic issues. I started taking it 4.5 wks. ago and will continue for 3 months and hopefully be able to come to some conclusion about it for myself.
I am so happy to read that someone is taking berberine/glycosolve. I looked into it a couple months ago and decided against it...can't remember why. Please keep us updated on what you notice or not notice!!! Thanks!
Old 11-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #603
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
My work has finally slowed down so I have time to stop in and post a big update. I've had a lot of things come up I wanted to mention and to ask about...hope I can remember them all!

First, I tested my blood glucose on several occasions after getting my free Precision meter (waiting for my ketone strips to arrive). I was happy to see that I apparently have very healthy glucose levels (I think?). I wasn't sure how long to wait after eating, so I tested an hour after (81) then two hours after (74). I tested at other times, including one hour after a really tough morning workout, empty stomach (50). Probably the best-timed postprandial reading was just yesterday at 40 minutes after lunch (93). Looks like my glucose may peak fairly quickly after eating then, less than an hour. My question about all that is, does anyone know or have a theory about keto adaptation making your blood glucose levels never go up very much at all?

On a related note, I received my ketone strips today! Just in time, because I had run out of glucose strips and was dying to test something. So, my first ketone reading, after following NK in earnest since Nov 1, was 1.6!
That was at 2:30 this afternoon, about 2 hours after lunch and having not done any workout today.

I seem to keep bouncing up and down about 2 pounds on the scale each morning, but I can feel myself shrinking from day to day. It would be nice to have these feelings validated on the scale in black and white, but I'll take it anyway! I am in the process of figuring out where I can get a DEXA scan around here so I can get a better idea of what my goal should be. In my mind, I'd like to get down to 120, but if I weigh more than that and can achieve a low body fat percentage, that would be fine!!

Two other things: I think I may have had gout prior to NK (!!!!). I was in denial about why my left big toe always hurt while working out. It hit me the other day that my toe hadn't hurt for quite a while. Could it be because I'm now eating about 1/3 of the protein I used to eat daily?? If so, that is a totally unexpected bonus to NK. But the other thing is not so nice. I'm trying to figure out the source of the bathroom issues I've been having. I believe it's going to be the magnesium I started taking recently and/or the coconut oil I'm cooking my eggs in. Today was the absolute worst...less than an hour after lunch (that included the eggs in CO and the 400 mg magnesium supplement), I had quite a bit of distress (diarrhea). I've had that problem to some degree almost every day for at least a week but nothing too horrible. I can't handle another day like today though, so tomorrow I'm dropping the magnesium dose to 200mg and cutting back on the coconut oil.

Guess that's about it. Happy thanksgiving everybody!
Old 11-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #604
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnstrungHarp View Post
. I can't handle another day like today though, so tomorrow I'm dropping the magnesium dose to 200mg and cutting back on the coconut oil.
I only take my magnesium at night, that tends to help me out quite a bit as I'm also sensitive. I've no issues with coconut oil once I adjusted to it 4 years ago... But not everyone is the same!
Old 11-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #605
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
My work has finally slowed down so I have time to stop in and post a big update. I've had a lot of things come up I wanted to mention and to ask about...hope I can remember them all!

First, I tested my blood glucose on several occasions after getting my free Precision meter (waiting for my ketone strips to arrive). I was happy to see that I apparently have very healthy glucose levels (I think?). I wasn't sure how long to wait after eating, so I tested an hour after (81) then two hours after (74). I tested at other times, including one hour after a really tough morning workout, empty stomach (50). Probably the best-timed postprandial reading was just yesterday at 40 minutes after lunch (93). Looks like my glucose may peak fairly quickly after eating then, less than an hour. My question about all that is, does anyone know or have a theory about keto adaptation making your blood glucose levels never go up very much at all?

On a related note, I received my ketone strips today! Just in time, because I had run out of glucose strips and was dying to test something. So, my first ketone reading, after following NK in earnest since Nov 1, was 1.6!
That was at 2:30 this afternoon, about 2 hours after lunch and having not done any workout today.

I seem to keep bouncing up and down about 2 pounds on the scale each morning, but I can feel myself shrinking from day to day. It would be nice to have these feelings validated on the scale in black and white, but I'll take it anyway! I am in the process of figuring out where I can get a DEXA scan around here so I can get a better idea of what my goal should be. In my mind, I'd like to get down to 120, but if I weigh more than that and can achieve a low body fat percentage, that would be fine!!

Two other things: I think I may have had gout prior to NK (!!!!). I was in denial about why my left big toe always hurt while working out. It hit me the other day that my toe hadn't hurt for quite a while. Could it be because I'm now eating about 1/3 of the protein I used to eat daily?? If so, that is a totally unexpected bonus to NK. But the other thing is not so nice. I'm trying to figure out the source of the bathroom issues I've been having. I believe it's going to be the magnesium I started taking recently and/or the coconut oil I'm cooking my eggs in. Today was the absolute worst...less than an hour after lunch (that included the eggs in CO and the 400 mg magnesium supplement), I had quite a bit of distress (diarrhea). I've had that problem to some degree almost every day for at least a week but nothing too horrible. I can't handle another day like today though, so tomorrow I'm dropping the magnesium dose to 200mg and cutting back on the coconut oil.

Guess that's about it. Happy thanksgiving everybody!
Hi!

As far as bang for your buck - you might want to test ketones in the morning only. After you've eaten and particularly after you've had coconut oil, I don't think you're getting the reading you want - which is the reading of the ketones your body is making. Congrats for your good reading, though!

Your blood sugars are admirable - kinda wondering about that 50, though. Did you feel shaky? Have you ever had hypoglycemia?

I think you are exactly right about the combination of mag & coconut oil.
Both should be ramped up slowly, for sure.
Maybe ONLY take the mag at night before bed?

Somebody else smart will chime in.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #606
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
I agree with what Judy and Paula said on the magnesium and coconut oil. I had the same problem and had to cut back on the CO and only take magnesium at night now before bed. Now all is well. I feel "nauseated" with too much CO/fat at one meal, so am working on that as well.

And, I agree with SMART Judy on when to take your ketone strip test. The true reading of your body ketones is first thing in the morning. CO and MCT oil and exercise seem to raise the reading, but it's not the body that is giving you the high numbers, but what you are doing with it (eating/exercise). The reading will always be higher as the day goes on, so first thing in the AM is when we all test (unless you are wealthy and love using those strips for jollies!) ha ha

I'm playing around with blood glucose and 1 hour and 2 hour PP readings as well. My first thing in the AM readings are high, and they drop with the 1 and 2 hour PP readings, so that's good. Your numbers are very good!!!!! Doesn't look like you have any glucose issues. Some people get the numbers raised with lowcarb and others lower with it. We are all different in so many ways. It's always a fun experiment to learn about our bodies, isn't it!!!!
Old 11-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #607
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Hi!

As far as bang for your buck - you might want to test ketones in the morning only. After you've eaten and particularly after you've had coconut oil, I don't think you're getting the reading you want - which is the reading of the ketones your body is making. Congrats for your good reading, though!

Your blood sugars are admirable - kinda wondering about that 50, though. Did you feel shaky? Have you ever had hypoglycemia?

I think you are exactly right about the combination of mag & coconut oil.
Both should be ramped up slowly, for sure.
Maybe ONLY take the mag at night before bed?

Somebody else smart will chime in.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Thanks for reminding me that the coconut oil might have elevated my ketones! I wanted my first reading to be in "the zone" so bad, I conveniently forgot that the best time to check is in the morning before eating anything. I'll try it tomorrow morning.

About hypoglycemia, I've never been diagnosed with anything like that. I actually felt fine every time I tested my glucose. The time after my workout when it was so low, I felt pleasantly exhausted with no negative symptoms!

I'll consider the magnesium before bed idea...if I happen to have the same reaction I had today though, I'll be out of bed in an hour!!
Old 11-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #608
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
And, I agree with SMART Judy on when to take your ketone strip test. The true reading of your body ketones is first thing in the morning.

Quote:
Thanks for reminding me that the coconut oil might have elevated my ketones! I wanted my first reading to be in "the zone" so bad, I conveniently forgot that the best time to check is in the morning before eating anything. I'll try it tomorrow morning.

About hypoglycemia, I've never been diagnosed with anything like that. I actually felt fine every time I tested my glucose. The time after my workout when it was so low, I felt pleasantly exhausted with no negative symptoms!

I'll consider the magnesium before bed idea...if I happen to have the same reaction I had today though, I'll be out of bed in an hour!!
Just don't take too much. Lots of people find magnesium at night helps them sleep.

I find that I am 54 nearly 55 and NOTHING helps me sleep!
Old 11-19-2012, 05:06 PM   #609
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Well, I had 3 good days, then I bombed tonight. I am so hungry on this plan!!! I hate it
:-( I ended up eating like 4 big handfuls of cashews tonight, plus some extra meat... How do you all deal with the hunger? grrrrr
Old 11-19-2012, 05:29 PM   #610
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Sophia, don't go hungry and don't let yourself get hungry, dangerous territory. East as much meat, eggs and fat to be full until heavy ketosis takes care f the hunger. At first don't worry about the ratios at first, JUHO
Old 11-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #611
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Quote:
I agree with Judy that the 50 is somewhat concerning. Whether you feel any symptoms or not doesn't mean it's healthy. I never had any symptoms of my type 2 diabetes, yet there it was! Opposite direction, obviously, but just an example of how "feeling fine" (or great, even) doesn't always mean everything is okay. Maybe keep track of any low reading you have like that, but it sounds like it may have been a result of your exercising on an empty stomach. All the other numbers sound fabulous.

I don't think your lack of rising glucose levels has to do with keto adaptation so much as the diet. Carbs are what primarily cause an increase in glucose levels, which I assume you're eating very little of. Excess protein is next in line for increasing glucose levels (but typically to a lesser degree than carbs), and I assume you're aiming for a certain range for protein as well to avoid that issue and stay in ketosis. Basically, there is no cause nor reason for your glucose levels to go up. I have met some people who see an increase to their fasting glucose levels when eating very low in carbs, but post-prandials still tend to be nice and normal without much in the way of spikes.
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)
Old 11-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #612
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: edgemont
Stats: 210/181/150?
WOE: lcHFmp Primal
Only have a minute to get on here tonight, and will read everything else later, but wanted to respond to you, Sophie about being hungry. I agree with Buffy that you shouldn't let yourself get hungry.

Are you tracking your food on an online food log that can help you see the number of grams of protein, fat and carbs you are actually eating? It takes time to do it each night (planning out for the next day), and more time in the beginning when you are just starting, but I find that it really helps me ensure I am getting no less and no more than I need. When I am in the correct ratios, I am not hungry. (Apologies if you already do this.)

If you are getting it all in and still hungry, first try reevaluating the amount of protein and fat you have decided to eat every day. Then look at what you are eating for your carbs and make sure there aren't things that will spike hunger.

And my last suggestion (which is what it usually is for me) is to consider that it is not actually hunger, but thirst. I need to drink way more than the 64 ounces of water suggested per day. If I'm even under 90 ounces I think I'm hungry. Reaching for extra water before going for more food usually helps me kick it.

And I gotta say, "Good Call" on what you ended up having to eat! Protein and fat-laden items were the perfect choice! That might have been exactly what your body was asking you for.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #613
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgemont View Post
Thanks, Southern Girl. Yup, that's the toe thing all right! I'll definitely go through those posts. Most appreciated. And definitely not a saint! We tried for a very long time to get pregnant, had two miscarriages, and finally lucky enough to have a perfect baby at 43. She's a really great kid, so it makes it easy, but why do you think wine is my cheat of choice?
Hi Edgemont. I can't remember saying anything about wine in a while, so I guess I am as confused as you are!
Old 11-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #614
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

SG....if your DD1 gets tested for thyroid, make sure she gets the "right" tests...and you can do them without a doctor you know...I hope you know that. That's how I finally got on track...doing my own testing. Was far cheaper than going through the docs office. I was first diagnosed in '83 as hypothyroid, but most docs do incorrect tests. And some "in range" numbers aren't good.....you need to be high in one test and low in another....not just "in range".

I'm with you also on the "heat/heart rate" after taking CO or even MCT oil. And it does go away about 15-20 minutes later. Guess it scares some though. I'm used to it by now.

Thanks, as always for your wealth of info!
Shelley, the trick will be getting her to agree to the testing!! She hates docs, with good reason, had some pretty nasty surgery when she was 14. And won't do anything medical I recommend. I try to walk a fine line...Mom wants her healthy and happy, but I refuse to be my mother and make food a relationship-breaker.

Last edited by SouthernGirl61; 11-19-2012 at 07:42 PM..
Old 11-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #615
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablis View Post
Hi edgemont,
ideas for your DD's lunch: Tuna Sandwich? omlette in a pita? I like to send things like tuna and omlettes in a pita bc they don't fall out. My DD is hard to make lunch for too.
She sometimes likes tehinni or hummus with vegs as well.

I don't know how you stay off artificial sweeteners! its so impossible.
I don't drink diet soda... but I use splenda probably 4-5 tsps a day and I always
wonder if that's whats messing with me.

Thanks Tablis and Sophie for the suggestions! She is really a picky eater. (Never was as a baby/toddler, but has gotten more so as she gets older.) I can still get her to try anything and she even takes at least 2 no thank you bites before completely declining without whining. She'll even try it again another day since I told her our tastes change as we get older and we might like it some time later in life (Luckily for me, 6 year olds think later in life is a few weeks away.) But for now, she will only eat cheese if it is melted on macaroni or pizza (Except for Parmesan which she'll eat straight off the block.) So string cheese is out (but I keep trying!)

She doesn't like tuna or hummus and won't eat a scrambled egg or omelet cold (tried that and it came home untouched. I don't blame her; I can't stand cold eggs either, but I had to try!)

I sincerely appreciate all the suggestions. I've been trying to give her a bigger breakfast and dinner and not worry to much about how much she eats at lunch. Afterall, that's how I've been eating lately and I feel fine. I think it's the mother in me that just wants my kid to eat!

As far as staying off the artificial sweeteners, the only one I use is SweetLeaf Liquid Stevia. Many of the other stevia brands have hidden wheat products in them, and other types affect me poorly (hunger, cravings, etc.). Having gone Primal I've really been trying to avoid anything not completely natural, but for the fat bombs I will use the SweetLeaf. I think it comes out to 2 drops per f-bomb. (Yeah, first time I told someone what that square frozen thing was that I was eating she called it an f-bomb. L'dM*?%AO!) I haven't made anything else yet that requires a sweetener, but read about the Xylitol (it goes by other names that some of you have used) and hear it doesn't wreak as much havoc on our body as other sweeteners.

I used to take my coffee black with 3 sweet and lows, and once I decided not to use that stuff any more, I went to Truvia, but then I decided not to use that anymore, and in a few weeks weened myself off of it completely and now drink my coffee totally black. NEVER thought I would be able to do that! It has to be dark roast and really delicious or I won't drink it. Luckily we have a coffee house a block from my office that roasts their own beans every day so it's super fresh and incredibly yummy.

So if all of you moms out there want a good laugh, I completely missed the fact that my daughters school is closed on Wednesday! I knew it was closed Thurs and Fri, and have no idea how I didn't see it on the calendar they sent at the beginning of the year. Luckily they sent a note home with her tonight that referenced being closed Wed. or I would have been that mom who showed up to drop her at school when they were closed. I have no idea what I am going to do with her on Wed! I can bring her to work with me for a few hours, but certainly not the whole day. I have plenty of ETO to use, but really want to hold on to it for "the inevitable" and have work I need to get done regardless! (Guessing this is a good example of "the inevitable".)
Old 11-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #616
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Hi Edgemont. I can't remember saying anything about wine in a while, so I guess I am as confused as you are!
LOL! The wine comment was from my original post about what I ate and that the only thing I will have when I want to cheat is wine. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #617
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
OK...will try to answer in one post.....<snip>
I love it when we find our own cure! I had to do it myself, and it saved my life too. Great post!
Old 11-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #618
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
LOL! The wine comment was from my original post about what I ate and that the only thing I will have when I want to cheat is wine. Sorry for the confusion.
OKay, I now think I remember that! Just a "mom" note...my DD1 was a dream child, up to the day she turned 12, but that's another story. She was a perfect eater. Then came DD2 to destroy all my "mom theories"...she could be your child's twin. Luckily I had a wonderful early-natural path Pedi....he told me to stop going to battle with her and let her eat what she wanted. Pretty simple. So I did, and I never thought she would get out of her PBJ and mac-n-cheese. She helped pack her lunch for school every night. She never drank milk after weaning at 12 months; ever. Long story short...she is my natural thin, never overweight a day in her life, LC healthy young woman DD now.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #619
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/201.5/175
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • Restart 04/14
Quote:

Two other things: I think I may have had gout prior to NK (!!!!). I was in denial about why my left big toe always hurt while working out. It hit me the other day that my toe hadn't hurt for quite a while. Could it be because I'm now eating about 1/3 of the protein I used to eat daily??
Actually Gary Taubes did an interesting article on gout a while back, in which he contends gout is another disease triggered by high carb consumption. If he's right, it's more likely the low-carb diet that helped. I can see his point - I had a terrible, month-long gout attack when I was first diagnosed, and I went vegetarian and dropped all the other "trigger" foods from my diet, and none of it worked. I was really suspicious about the warnings against eating protein after that.

In any case, what you're doing seems to be working, so keep it up! And congrats on the great ketone reading.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #620
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/201.5/175
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • Restart 04/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
Well, I had 3 good days, then I bombed tonight. I am so hungry on this plan!!! I hate it
:-( I ended up eating like 4 big handfuls of cashews tonight, plus some extra meat... How do you all deal with the hunger? grrrrr
If I could add a word of caution, cashews aren't the best nuts to eat - an ounce serving is 8 carbs. For me they're a trigger food - I can never stop at one ounce, and they leave me hungry for more carbs. Macadamias are a better choice because of the high fat content.

I don't find that I get hungry much anymore - and usually if I am I'll have a piece of cheese or a fat bomb. The longer you go on plan, the less hungry you'll be. Be patient, and if you feel hungry, have something with fat in it. You'll get there!
Old 11-19-2012, 10:45 PM   #621
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: One maur time
WOE: Atkins, lchf, nk
Start Date: 01/15/2011
Dear Clackey
I just started- I could not find Glycosolve locally so I purchased berberine and another supplement with Banaba in it. I haven't noticed any difference yet. I know Jimmy Moore is using it and that got me interested in trying it out.
Maureen
Old 11-19-2012, 11:52 PM   #622
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tablis
Start Date: 10/29/2012
So I know its impossible to do this WOE properly without using some sort of computerized food journal.

I have been using free ****** and the ads are making me crazy and it goes so slow-its just taking up too much time. I have tried a couple of others and didn't like any of them.

I have already invested lots of $$ in this WOE trial and I'm kind of wary about shelling out a year subscription to ****** esp bc I'm not sure if it will be better than the free version. I wish they had a week free trial of how it will really be.

Anyway my question is: have any of you tried the paid version? is it much faster?better?
Is there another online tracker that you like better? (preferably free or at least a free trial that runs like the paid subscription)
thanks.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:15 AM   #623
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Sophia, don't go hungry and don't let yourself get hungry, dangerous territory. East as much meat, eggs and fat to be full until heavy ketosis takes care f the hunger. At first don't worry about the ratios at first, JUHO
Thanks for the suggestion Buffy- I wanted to try and do it all perfect, but I guess I need to be more gentle with myself first.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:19 AM   #624
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Only have a minute to get on here tonight, and will read everything else later, but wanted to respond to you, Sophie about being hungry. I agree with Buffy that you shouldn't let yourself get hungry.

Are you tracking your food on an online food log that can help you see the number of grams of protein, fat and carbs you are actually eating? It takes time to do it each night (planning out for the next day), and more time in the beginning when you are just starting, but I find that it really helps me ensure I am getting no less and no more than I need. When I am in the correct ratios, I am not hungry. (Apologies if you already do this.)

If you are getting it all in and still hungry, first try reevaluating the amount of protein and fat you have decided to eat every day. Then look at what you are eating for your carbs and make sure there aren't things that will spike hunger.

And my last suggestion (which is what it usually is for me) is to consider that it is not actually hunger, but thirst. I need to drink way more than the 64 ounces of water suggested per day. If I'm even under 90 ounces I think I'm hungry. Reaching for extra water before going for more food usually helps me kick it.

And I gotta say, "Good Call" on what you ended up having to eat! Protein and fat-laden items were the perfect choice! That might have been exactly what your body was asking you for.
Edgemont- I do track everything everyday- but I want to keep my ratios/numbers w/in the range to lose- so under 70g of protein and under 1600 cals a day (filling in w/fat) and having as few carbs as possible- generally under 20g. I have been drinking a lot of water- but could probably use more. And, I do have a history of eating just to eat- but I feel that last night was because I was just not satisfied with my amt of food- maybe not tummy growling hungry, but definitely still wanting more food to feel more full. This emoticon has nothing to do w/my emotions, but my son wants me to post it...which will help me continue reading ya'lls post's...
Old 11-20-2012, 03:28 AM   #625
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
If I could add a word of caution, cashews aren't the best nuts to eat - an ounce serving is 8 carbs. For me they're a trigger food - I can never stop at one ounce, and they leave me hungry for more carbs. Macadamias are a better choice because of the high fat content.

I don't find that I get hungry much anymore - and usually if I am I'll have a piece of cheese or a fat bomb. The longer you go on plan, the less hungry you'll be. Be patient, and if you feel hungry, have something with fat in it. You'll get there!
Thanks...I knew cashews was a bad choice, but I didn't have any mac nuts and I really really really wanted them
But, I will focus on more fat and more protein for my extra food if i feel hungry (for my son)
Old 11-20-2012, 03:32 AM   #626
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablis View Post
So I know its impossible to do this WOE properly without using some sort of computerized food journal.

I have been using free ****** and the ads are making me crazy and it goes so slow-its just taking up too much time. I have tried a couple of others and didn't like any of them.

I have already invested lots of $$ in this WOE trial and I'm kind of wary about shelling out a year subscription to ****** esp bc I'm not sure if it will be better than the free version. I wish they had a week free trial of how it will really be.

Anyway my question is: have any of you tried the paid version? is it much faster?better?
Is there another online tracker that you like better? (preferably free or at least a free trial that runs like the paid subscription)
thanks.
I have only used ******, and I really like it. I find the nutr. content accurate when I compare it to my labels at home. Plus you can store custom foods in it. I think the paid version is ad. free- which might help it run a bit faster. I hear ya on the slowness of it, but I deal w/it b/c I already use it for custom foods and don't want to start over... (for both of my son's )
Old 11-20-2012, 05:31 AM   #627
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by One maur time View Post
Dear Clackey
I just started- I could not find Glycosolve locally so I purchased berberine and another supplement with Banaba in it. I haven't noticed any difference yet. I know Jimmy Moore is using it and that got me interested in trying it out.
Maureen
Hi Maureen. My product is 500mg. berberine with 24mg banaba leaf extract.
For Glycosolve, it appears it must be ordered on line.

It also takes 4 to 6 wks. of regular use. I am taking 1000mg divided into 2 dosages - one in the morning and the other late afternoon BUT I began with only 500mg. for the first 3 wks. to avoid any digestive issues.

It is too early to say for sure what is happening but I will say, I feel encouraged. I should add that I have been doing N.K. since June. There was a learning curve that took about a month or so but I think I have been within my limits 99% of the time since. I occasionally exceed my 55g of protein by 5g or so.

I will be very interested to hear how you do.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Last edited by clackley; 11-20-2012 at 05:33 AM..
Old 11-20-2012, 05:37 AM   #628
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I have only used ******, and I really like it. I find the nutr. content accurate when I compare it to my labels at home. Plus you can store custom foods in it. I think the paid version is ad. free- which might help it run a bit faster. I hear ya on the slowness of it, but I deal w/it b/c I already use it for custom foods and don't want to start over... (for both of my son's )
d'you think we'd have to lose our custom foods?
Old 11-20-2012, 05:39 AM   #629
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Edgemont- I do track everything everyday- but I want to keep my ratios/numbers w/in the range to lose- so under 70g of protein and under 1600 cals a day (filling in w/fat) and having as few carbs as possible- generally under 20g. I have been drinking a lot of water- but could probably use more. And, I do have a history of eating just to eat- but I feel that last night was because I was just not satisfied with my amt of food- maybe not tummy growling hungry, but definitely still wanting more food to feel more full. This emoticon has nothing to do w/my emotions, but my son wants me to post it...which will help me continue reading ya'lls post's...
Hmm did you use any ketostix or the ketone blood test to see if you are in some level of ketosis? I am totally not hungry -like have to remember to eat! and I'm doing the same thing as you....not that i'm dropping weight like i'd like too.. (for your sons.)

are you doing fat bombs?
Old 11-20-2012, 05:42 AM   #630
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Woo hoo!!!!
Thanks for the support shelly! as you may have seen I posted that by mistake before it was done
Closed Thread