Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #571
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: edgemont
Stats: 210/181/150?
WOE: lcHFmp Primal
Thanks, MerryKate! It's a different type of cramp, not the needle sticking pain and not the big toe. (My dad had gout and I learned it runs through the men in our family, not the women, but I often wonder.) It's usually one of the middle toes and it goes stiff and straight out. Been happening for years, not just while LC or NK, so might be a mineral I've been short on for a while and never been tested for. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #572
Junior LCF Member

Thanks, Southern Girl. Yup, that's the toe thing all right! I'll definitely go through those posts. Most appreciated. And definitely not a saint! We tried for a very long time to get pregnant, had two miscarriages, and finally lucky enough to have a perfect baby at 43. She's a really great kid, so it makes it easy, but why do you think wine is my cheat of choice?
Old 11-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #573
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgemont View Post

Sophie, I am also Jewish, but don't keep kosher. I grew up in a kosher home in upstate NY, but my parents stopped when I was in middle school. I could actually use your help, though! I am sending my daughter to Hebrew Day School and can only send her with dairy lunches. I'm trying to feed her as close to Primal as possible (not NK though) and she is a fairly picky eater. Not into PB (which I don't buy anymore anyway) or almond butter (my personal fav), will only eat whites of hard boiled egg, and will only eat a few bites of smoked salmon (lox). I end up sending her with yogurt most days (along with nuts, fruit and veggies, but she usually comes home with at least half if not all of everything.) Can't figure out what to send in her lunch box that she'll eat. She seems ok with it and eats a decent amount for dinner, so maybe I shouldn't worry.

You also mentioned the food co-op and I think you are referring to Park Slope? We don't live there, but used to! (7th ave and 9th St.) Moved to lower Westchester (New Rochelle), then to Peekskill then to Albany, where we are now. My husband still works in Manhattan, though, commuting daily on Amtrak. Ugh!

So- I tried getting my kids to eat paleo for a while, but it wasn't worth it to me at the time- they eat what I'm ok w/for breakfast, school lunches (which are not that bad actually), and my paleo/low carb dinner. However a suggestion would be string cheese? I find that the concept of a "meal" changes and it is often just some good food choices packed up. Dairy is a hard one- I only started adding dairy back into my diet when I went NK. It's good they let you send nuts- our kids school can't have any nuts so anything I make for them (which isn't often) uses either coconut flour or sunflower butter.

Yes, we were members at the park Slope food coop when we lived in brooklyn a few years back- an amazing coop!
Old 11-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #574
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Thanks, Kristn. I lent my Performance book to my personal trainer last week. Do you happen to know if they included dosage information for those supplements? And versions of those items?
The recommendations in the Performance book are:
1-2 grams of sodium a day (they recommend 2 bouillon cubes)
20 days of slow release magnesium (Slow-mag, mag-64, Mag-delay) for cramps.
No specific amount of potassium, they recommend not discarding broth or drippings from meat, making your own broth, and eating berries, nuts, and seeds.

Quote:
Also wondering if there are certain brands you like. I am member of Consumer Labs and can find out if they are ok, but will probably have to check mfgr site for full ingredient list. Here's why I'm so curious...
The supplement brands that I usually buy are Thorne, Carlsons, NOW, and Jarrow. I am taking the NOW magnesium citrate and the Jarrow potassium citrate. I admit that I haven't been on top of fully looking into all of the ingredients that they have in them.

You and I are the same age. My 50th is January 1st. To be honest I'm not really looking forward to it.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 11-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #575
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lianora Mosswood
Stats: 165/121/115 5'3" 54 yrs
WOE: locarb primal juddd
Start Date: January 2011
The Outcome

Gorgonzola Crustless Cheesecake

1) use a springform pan
2) glad I lined the bottom with parchment
3) probably more like 32 servings--it is very intense
4) would be good with a non-sweet nut crust
5) plan on serving it with beef, maybe in a salad
6) your house will smell like stinky cheese for hours!
7) could add a T of horseradish to the mixture

Now to see how it stands up in the freezer. . .

~ birdie
Old 11-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #576
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
birdie, very thoughtful review!
Thank you for every detail.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #577
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:

Once I read that something labeled "natural flavoring" on a label could be as common as a secretion from a beaver's anal gland, that did it for me! Now I look for a number of things...

Copied from article: Cellulose is usually made from nontoxic wood pulp or cotton, and stuffed into shredded cheese, salad dressing, and ice cream to thicken it without adding calories or fat. Cellulose is fibrous, which is why it appears in so many high-fiber “healthy” snacks and breakfast cereals—and it’s even in organic products. Steer clear of terms like microcrystalline cellulose (MCC), cellulose gel, and cellulose gum, and carboxymethyl cellulose.

Hope this wasn't TMI for some people or old news for others, but felt I had to share.
I laughed over your comments. Loved them!!!! Just FYI....when I had my thyroid medication compounded, it did not work for me. When they changed Armour's reformulation it did not work for me. Bottom line is that they used microcrystalline cellulose as the filler....and even though they say it's hypoallergenic, it really interferes with absorption issues, and I was not alone in this. When I get capsules, I always make sure they do not use cellulose as a filler as they will be $$$ wasted (on me). Just my 2 cents worth.

Love your posts!!!!
Old 11-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #578
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Quote:
Also wanted to send my encouragement to you to stick with it--in some form. You've been doing so well, and you have so many reasons to work at it (not the least of which is that incredibly adorable son of yours!) You make a great point of eating this way for general health, so focus on keeping the unhealthy foods out of the house (seed oils, sugar, starch, wheat, etc.) and the good ones close at hand. Not letting yourself get hungry and having a plan for each upcoming meal (and food prepared for it as much as possible) helps too.

I find the fat bombs really help me stay away from the sweets on a daily basis, and when I do want a treat, I plan in some 80 or 87% dark chocolate by Taza. I have it with my meal and make sure it doesn't put me over in carbs. If I have to give up some green veggie one day a week to get my fix, it's worth it if it helps me stay on track. I only have a 1/4 of the bar and it's so rich and sweet (well, sweet to me now--I probably never would have said that before going sugar free), that I couldn't handle more than that anyway.
Thanks so much for the encouragement! I know my downfall recently has been lack of preparation. My mind has been in a million places. Perfect example: I went to THREE different grocery stores within the past two days, and yet, I noticed today we are out of diet soda. Not low, not only a little left, OUT. My husband and I both drink diet soda daily (it's my one major frankenfood addiction), so I don't know what I was thinking. Or not thinking, obviously!

I don't have much time during the week for food prep other than cooking dinners in the evenings, so I usually prepare stuff ahead on the weekends, but I was out of town last weekend and got tied up with home projects this weekend (dealing with contractors for painting, landscaping, and cleaning; cleaning up clutter since my cleaning service will be here tomorrow; doing more laundry and organizing and whatnot than normal since I'll have 5 guests staying with us for the long holiday weekend coming up; and I have a rotten chest tickle/cough that won't let go!) and was on solo baby duty since my husband is locked away in the office working on a project due Tuesday for his class. Despite having a lot of house guests, I'm excited for them to come, as they will gladly watch Mr. Baby while I do some cooking and fat-snack-making next weekend! Until then, I just need to at least continue avoiding grains and work on avoiding sugar. I don't keep any junk in the house (not even bread for my husband), but my testing moments are when I'm out by myself, such as grocery shopping, just grabbing a candy item while I'm in the checkout line...need to stop!
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)
Old 11-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #579
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Evening everyone! Watching football tonight, but I simply cannot look that those silly Bengal tiger strip uniforms without LOL! They look like pee-wee ball! So checking in to see how everyone's day went.
Tablis, supplements and vitamins are a "balance"...there are Calcium-Mag-Zinc blends out, but the Mag is oxide! And our LC diet did have one set of "needs", but basic LC includes many fruits, nuts and veggies, and you get at least half of what you need from consumption. NK offers a bit of a challenge, and studying one's daily diet to determine the need for that day. If I add a few almonds and a brazil nut (can't eat more than one for my size), then I will reduce minerals that day. B vitamins are incredibly valuable, they are championed with reducing dementia in half, and are thought to be the new trailblazer for prevention of brain decline. I take a B Complex Stress daily, to get all the Bs! I take an extra subling M-B12 in the morning. The injections are ify....some folks have postive results, some do not. I eat more beef, grass-fed, and DD2 got her anemia soundly defeated with beef.
Cathy, great post on salt. It has such a bad rap! My mother suffered us all with low salt, since she bought the line about it causing HBP. Nothing worse that low salt bread!!! We made our own, so I would slip a small loaf with salt for me!
Sophie, I agree with the others on the amazing "no hunger" side-effect of NK. LC would do that when I went very high protein, but I ventured to LC breads, and desserts, which didn't work for me.
Buffy, I hope you get to your goal of getting off the PPI soon. I watched my poor brother get stuck on them, and then the cycle of heartburn, reflux at night over and over. They really upset the balance of our systems, and also greatly reduce the aborption of vitamins we need. I hope you are feeling better today. I got out in the garden and stayed in the sunshine about 30 minutes watering and well, just standing there enjoying it all! Makes you feel soooo good!
drj, I think you are correct, the ones that experienced heart palpitations likely were scared off...I know coconut oil does that to me for about 20 minutes, but it's not severe, just in "high gear"! I made a huge pot of broth today, love to add stuff and let it cook all day. I used Buffy's recipe, which is wonderful, add a stick of butter to it!
Birdie, just remember that it takes a bit of tweaking those macros to get it in line! I had my protein way too low, and when I kicked it up a bit, all was well with the world. My favorite fab bomb is cream cheese mixed with either pecan butter or natural peanut butter.
Tablis and Sophie, margarine is horrible, I'll stop there. Soy is horrible, enough said -exception of fermented soy sauce. Canola should be illegal! No corn or cottonseed, etc...all are awful for our bodies. I do not care for flax oil, must be an acquired taste. I use coconut, olive (I use both EL and L), almond, walnut, macadamia nut oil, pecan, bacon drippings, "organic" lard (which still amuses me!)....
Kristn, wow, you started with those thyroid issues early. I think my DD1 needs to be tested, the more I listen you several of you and think of her complaints, she likely has issues. Hawaii sounds wonderful. My aunt/uncle lived there since 1950s....my cousins are still there and likely will never come to the "mainland"....have you ever stayed a while there? My Dad loved it there, but would not move!
Hi Jilly! I don't love turkey either...but can eat the dark meat for a meal or two. But DH, DDs love it, so I add crab, shrimp and crawfish to my dressing and that is my favorite! And we agree on house work too!
MerryKate, good number after chinese! My SIL just cannot understand NK; but at least she got LC and got my brother on it!
Wriggly, I just had my hormones and cortisol tested, waiting on results, should be in Friday. I went to compounding pharmacy and did the saliva test...there's a post on how much fun that was! Our sleep cycles are vital to our health, and night shifters are often sick and general malise. Less sleep, more fat storage, and likely higher cortisol due to the stress on the body. I know when I have to work very long days I will eat more, feel the "need" for sugar, and if it keeps up long I will usually have an allergy flare up. I will always increase Vit C and D3 in those times.
Hi Paula! How are you doing? Better??
Welcome Bejewel! Kristn exercises a lot, I think you will find that higher fat will work for workouts after you adapt.
Edgemont, great to hear of your loss! Congrats! Read posts on potassium and magnesium....find your personal needs to avoid cramps. Broth is first line of defense! My toes used to do that, go different directions! Ouch! You are 50 and have a 6 year old??? You must be a saint. I am 51 with twentysomethings....and I cannot imagine them as 6 yo again! Ya! Mine grew up LC....it works!

SG....if your DD1 gets tested for thyroid, make sure she gets the "right" tests...and you can do them without a doctor you know...I hope you know that. That's how I finally got on track...doing my own testing. Was far cheaper than going through the docs office. I was first diagnosed in '83 as hypothyroid, but most docs do incorrect tests. And some "in range" numbers aren't good.....you need to be high in one test and low in another....not just "in range".

I'm with you also on the "heat/heart rate" after taking CO or even MCT oil. And it does go away about 15-20 minutes later. Guess it scares some though. I'm used to it by now.

Thanks, as always for your wealth of info!
Old 11-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #580
Junior LCF Member

Jillybean, you sure have a lot on your plate this week (no pun intended!) Try to enjoy the company and the holiday. Smart move hiring someone to come clean for you! And I do the same thing--cleaning up before the cleaning person gets there! Always too much clutter around for them to get to what really needs their attention. I should have them come more than once or twice a year and then maybe I wouldn't accumulate so much clutter! (I try, really I do, but I just don't like to clean my house and no one else who lives here likes to do it either. The basics get done, but if I never had people come to visit, I don't want to think about what it would look like! Visitors are my only motivation to get it all done.)

But mostly I am so glad you mentioned your diet soad issue. And truthfully, I think it was a good thing that you didn't remember to get it. OK. This is me getting on my high horse, so be ready, but diet soda is EVIL! Here is a quick note:

Artificial sweeteners can disrupt the body’s natural ability to regulate calorie intake based on the sweetness of foods, making you more likely to overeat, because your body is being tricked into thinking it’s eating sugar, and you crave more. (Even sugar free gum is trouble!)

This might be the core of your troubles!!! So do what you can to kick the soda habit and see if that helps decrease the urges to pick up the candy at the counter.

OK. This is me unmounting my high horse. Feet out of stirrups and putting the horse back in the stall.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #581
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the shout-out Shelley, and I agree completely and will see your 2 cents and raise you a quarter! No seriously, that stuff is awful and causes so much trouble that people don't always connect back to it!

And I just peaked quickly through the ingredients of all the magnesium supplements that Consumer Labs tested (quickly in that it is after midnight and I need to get up at 6:30 so I have time to make bacon and eggs for breakfast for my daughter and me! Priorities, people! (close enough).) There was only one product that was not a liquid that did not contain cellulose or some other nasty ingredient. There was one liquid and it looked ok, but not sure how I would deal with a liquid. I'll spend more time looking at it in advance of a shopping trip for them. No time to do that during the work week.

Good night and sweet dreams. (My cortisol levels are not going to be happy by the lack of sleep I'm getting tonight.)
Old 11-18-2012, 10:40 PM   #582
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tablis
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Hi edgemont,
ideas for your DD's lunch: Tuna Sandwich? omlette in a pita? I like to send things like tuna and omlettes in a pita bc they don't fall out. My DD is hard to make lunch for too.
She sometimes likes tehinni or hummus with vegs as well.

I don't know how you stay off artificial sweeteners! its so impossible.
I don't drink diet soda... but I use splenda probably 4-5 tsps a day and I always
wonder if that's whats messing with me.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:40 AM   #583
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
I try to avoid all frankenfoods as well, but the one thing I cant give up is the ezsweetz liquid sweetner, I often think that is a problem, I gave up soda and try to buy most foods without a label, and eat whole foods, but darn I like my coffee sweet, ughghg!!! The thing I find troubling is I lost all that weight drinking it the same, and once I started exercising harder it seems like the weight slowed down which makes no sense! You gals are a wealth of info! I pulled out my supplements and I am going to take them religiously again, I had no leg cramps last night, thank goodness!!!!!
Old 11-19-2012, 04:25 AM   #584
Senior LCF Member

So I just made a batch of fatbombs using up all my CO and by mistake I grabbed the wrong bottle of vanilla flavoring. I hardly put any in - say 1 tsp in 500 ml but it says on it food coloring:caramel .... does that mean I just carbbed up the whole thing and should throw it out?
thanks
Old 11-19-2012, 05:28 AM   #585
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
Start Date: 10/24/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
I laughed over your comments. Loved them!!!! Just FYI....when I had my thyroid medication compounded, it did not work for me. When they changed Armour's reformulation it did not work for me. Bottom line is that they used microcrystalline cellulose as the filler....and even though they say it's hypoallergenic, it really interferes with absorption issues, and I was not alone in this. When I get capsules, I always make sure they do not use cellulose as a filler as they will be $$$ wasted (on me). Just my 2 cents worth.

Love your posts!!!!
When I was growing up and wanted to lose weight, my mom would always suggest Atkins, but it wasn't so accepted among my teenage friends (not the cool diet I guess). So instead I ate SAD- low fat whole wheat bread and lite cheese...my mom would always roll her eyes and say that the bread is made of sawdust and the cheese of plastic...Guess she wasn't so far from the truth! mom's are always right!
Old 11-19-2012, 05:28 AM   #586
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Hi there Bejewelme!! Good to see you.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:17 AM   #587
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks, Kristn. I lent my Performance book to my personal trainer last week. Do you happen to know if they included dosage information for those supplements? And versions of those items?

Also wondering if there are certain brands you like. I am member of Consumer Labs and can find out if they are ok, but will probably have to check mfgr site for full ingredient list. Here's why I'm so curious...

I read a few interesting articles on Prevention.com that explained what many of the ingredient names really were and how there is some really gross stuff in our foods. I've pretty much avoided buying anything with a label since going Primal, and have tried to cut down on those things for my daughter and husband too (though they are not completely on board with me yet, but supportive), but learned that those additives creep into our supplements, vitamins, my daughters organic yogurt and even her pastured ice cream.

Once I read that something labeled "natural flavoring" on a label could be as common as a secretion from a beaver's anal gland, that did it for me! Now I look for a number of things...

Shellac on pill coatings, hard shiny candies and even on organic apples is a resin secreted by the lac bug.

Copied from article: Cellulose is usually made from nontoxic wood pulp or cotton, and stuffed into shredded cheese, salad dressing, and ice cream to thicken it without adding calories or fat. Cellulose is fibrous, which is why it appears in so many high-fiber “healthy” snacks and breakfast cereals—and it’s even in organic products. Steer clear of terms like microcrystalline cellulose (MCC), cellulose gel, and cellulose gum, and carboxymethyl cellulose.

For details, go to Prevention for both articles. One called 7 Grossest Things in Your Food, and the other is Secrets About Your Food.

Hope this wasn't TMI for some people or old news for others, but felt I had to share.
yipes there's cellulose in my vitamin C!
gonna read the labels more carefully next time - thanks for this
Old 11-19-2012, 06:25 AM   #588
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
When I was growing up and wanted to lose weight, my mom would always suggest Atkins, but it wasn't so accepted among my teenage friends (not the cool diet I guess). So instead I ate SAD- low fat whole wheat bread and lite cheese...my mom would always roll her eyes and say that the bread is made of sawdust and the cheese of plastic...Guess she wasn't so far from the truth! moms are always right!
I Love your mom!
They are always right.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:58 AM   #589
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Starting good habits: Mr. Baby brushed his, umm, tooth last night before bed and this morning after his bottle We've now added carrots to his menu. I was kind of happy that he absolutely hated the "cherry" flavored Bendryl but loves his green beans, chicken, turkey, beef, asparagus, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower...haven't yet offered him any fruits or sweeter veggies (carrots is about the sweetest/starchiest we've done), and I'm holding off on doing so for as long as possible!
Quote:
But mostly I am so glad you mentioned your diet soad issue. And truthfully, I think it was a good thing that you didn't remember to get it. OK. This is me getting on my high horse, so be ready, but diet soda is EVIL! Here is a quick note:

Artificial sweeteners can disrupt the body’s natural ability to regulate calorie intake based on the sweetness of foods, making you more likely to overeat, because your body is being tricked into thinking it’s eating sugar, and you crave more. (Even sugar free gum is trouble!)

This might be the core of your troubles!!! So do what you can to kick the soda habit and see if that helps decrease the urges to pick up the candy at the counter.

OK. This is me unmounting my high horse. Feet out of stirrups and putting the horse back in the stall.
I've heard/read it all about diet sodas and artificial sweeteners. I've been on the same high horse as you about it before But I have lost more than 120 pounds while keeping diet soda in my life, and I have been through long stretches of continuing to drink it while still not craving/caving to other sugar, so I don't think it's to blame all of a sudden. Artificial sweeteners aside, I do choose caffeine-free sodas and non-colas, as colas (diet and regular) contain a specific acid that is linked to calcium depletion. Right now, I'm drinking diet Seagram's ginger ale. I NEED the carbonation - even when I drink 3+ liters of water daily, I still want my carbonated soda by the end of the day. I don't like coffees or teas, so it's my one beverage that feels like a "treat." I've tried so many carbonated waters/seltzer beverages and find them absolutely repulsive, so...diet soda stays! I gave it up for the first half of my pregnancy, but I missed the carbonation so much I started it up again.

When I bake or make things like coconut bark, I use either erythritol (if the "cooling" effect is okay for that recipe), Truvia (if I don't need a lot of it, as the "baking blend" has actual sugar in it, so I just use the small container or the packets), or occasional Stevia in the Raw (which contains maltodextrin). Using Splenda/sucralose in recipes has always left an icky aftertaste for me, which is fine because I'd rather not have it! I actually gave up all artificial sweeteners in my first trimester of my pregnancy, and my menu felt so limited and dull.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post
The thing I find troubling is I lost all that weight drinking it the same, and once I started exercising harder it seems like the weight slowed down which makes no sense!
More intense exercise = muscles retaining more water. When we work muscles, we actually make tiny tears in them, and they hold onto additional water while they repair those tears (i.e., build new muscle). Also, depending on how many calories you're consuming versus burning, if you have too much of a deficit, your body might freak out a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablis View Post
So I just made a batch of fatbombs using up all my CO and by mistake I grabbed the wrong bottle of vanilla flavoring. I hardly put any in - say 1 tsp in 500 ml but it says on it food coloring:caramel .... does that mean I just carbbed up the whole thing and should throw it out?
thanks
It's not caramel like the ice cream topping, just caramel coloring (brown/tan).
Old 11-19-2012, 07:14 AM   #590
Chatty Cathy

Anyone taking berberine or the branded Glycosolve?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #591
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
[QUOTE=shelley;16086924

SG....if your DD1 gets tested for thyroid, make sure she gets the "right" tests...and you can do them without a doctor you know...I hope you know that. That's how I finally got on track...doing my own testing. Was far cheaper than going through the docs office. I was first diagnosed in '83 as hypothyroid, but most docs do incorrect tests. And some "in range" numbers aren't good.....you need to be high in one test and low in another....not just "in range".

:[/QUOTE]

Shelley, please tell us more on how to go about doing your own testing? My 3 DD's and myself are all hypo.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #592
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Anyone taking berberine or the branded Glycosolve?
Cathy, isn't that what Jimmy Moore is taking? I have googled it but haven't run across much info on it or much info on people who are taking it. What have you heard or read about it.

I am still waiting for one of you to post the miracle weight loss pill that will help us all lose 15 lbs per month Come On People
Old 11-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #593
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
When I was growing up and wanted to lose weight, my mom would always suggest Atkins, but it wasn't so accepted among my teenage friends (not the cool diet I guess). So instead I ate SAD- low fat whole wheat bread and lite cheese...my mom would always roll her eyes and say that the bread is made of sawdust and the cheese of plastic...Guess she wasn't so far from the truth! mom's are always right!
Oh my gosh...that is so true!!!!! And yes, mom's are always right after all!
Old 11-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #594
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Starting good habits: Mr. Baby brushed his, umm, tooth last night before bed and this morning after his bottle We've now added carrots to his menu. I was kind of happy that he absolutely hated the "cherry" flavored Bendryl but loves his green beans, chicken, turkey, beef, asparagus, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower...haven't yet offered him any fruits or sweeter veggies (carrots is about the sweetest/starchiest we've done), and I'm holding off on doing so for as long as possible!
great news! My kids all hated vegs until they got older. Its weird bc I LOVE vegs and its actually one of the hard parts on LC bc I could eat tons of them especially broccoli and cauliflower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
It's not caramel like the ice cream topping, just caramel coloring (brown/tan).
ok thanks. funny how there is no nutritional info on vanilla extract.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:04 AM   #595
Senior LCF Member

Today starts the beginning of my 4th week and after bouncing up and down I landed with a total loss of 1.1 kg. I'll take it if it keeps going down... I'm going to keep this up for at least 2-3 more weeks but I sure hope that was a real loss and not that my starting weight was just a bounce day.

I'm 40, 5 feet tall, small boned. Goal weight 110 and while we are going for the goal I'd like to have 20 BF.

Averages over this past week:

Calories: 1500 cals. (I have been aiming not to exceed 1800)
Fat: 77% (aiming for between 65-85 %)
Protein: 16.4% 54 gm (aiming for the low end of my protein requirements according the NK page. I see phinney's calc would give me a bit more but I was afraid I was overdoing the protein before)
Total Carbs: 5.74 % 22 gm (aiming for as low as possible)

any comments? I am thinking I need to raise my calories and maybe my protein a bit. The week before both were higher and now I think maybe I went too low. donno.

Last edited by tablis; 11-19-2012 at 09:21 AM..
Old 11-19-2012, 09:05 AM   #596
Senior LCF Member

OK...will try to answer in one post.....first on the diet soda issue. I don't touch aspartame as most of you would agree to, but have those of you that drink diet sodas ever researched sodium benzoate??? That's what I am afraid of! But it's also in some of the liquid SF flavorings. Nasty stuff from what I read a year or two ago. I'm with Bejewelme on the EZSweets as my sweetener of choice. If anyone hears of their big sale again, please let us know. It was a special deal for 50% off on amazon for a week or so last year! Got several bottles/boxes of the bitty bottles then.

Buffy...I have my thyroid tested on my own and have been doing that for nearly 2 years. Need to do it again soon. Docs do incorrect tests and they cost a fortune and people don't understand when to test for the right results, etc. so I took it into my own hands with the help of someone very knowledgeable to guide me (and read every book there was on hormones and endocrine system stuff). The tests that are important are FT4 and FT3. TSH is useless, but gives a newbie a guideline. The test I have done has TSH, FT4 and FT3 in it, so I get the TSH result even if it's useless to me.

I could go on and on. I test at the 4.5 hour mark after taking my Erfa (which is the original Armour, but only found in Canada). I consistently have the same draw time so that I can compare properly each time. If I was 4 hours one time and 5 hours the next, the numbers would not be able to be used efficiently for comparison of what I'm taking. I take natural dessicated thyroid and that means that the T3 in it is out of my system after about 6 hours or so. Some docs have you test in the AM BEFORE taking any meds. If you take a T3, then there is nothing to test 12-24 hours later! But if you take synthroid only (like many docs and endos Rx), then it makes no difference as that is T4 only....no T3 from the meds to test. And most docs Rx on TSH numbers. Wrong!

I go to healthcheckusa and do everything on line. It's very efficient and you get your results within a couple days. Right in your inbox and then they mail the results. FASTER by far than a doctors office. Use the "code" 12345 and it's about $75. That's less than the price of a doctors visit and blood draw even with insurance unless all deductibles have been met. If you are new to it, you want to test for antibodies...most women have Hashimoto's.....I don't happen to. Anyway, I could go on and on. 3 years ago I had a near adrenal failure situation. I was in a very bad "stage" per the reports. It was a mess and it took 2 years to get healthy again. It was a long road and I tested every 8 weeks on my own. I had a wonderful patient advocate who was just shy of being a doctor and is now a nutritionist and does lowcarb/ketogenic eating herself, and she was unbelievably helpful in getting my health back. I always say that she saved my life. An amazing human being. Anyway, if you want more help with it, you can always PM me as I don't know that this is the place for me to spout off more stuff about thyroid/adrenals and all that. I would be happy to help with whatever you would like to know though! I've learned a lot in the last 3 years! All the docs and NP's I have gone to in the last few years have fired me and said I know more than they do. Not one doc where I live is competent with this. Even the compounding pharmacist has called to ask me questions for doctors who have asked her to ask ME how to Rx. Pretty pathetic! I do NOT give info to them.....not too cool.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #597
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablis View Post
Today starts the beginning of my 3rd week and after bouncing up and down I landed with a total loss of 1.1 kg. I'll take it if it keeps going down... I'm going to keep this up for at least 3 more weeks but I sure hope that was a real loss and not that I had just weighed in on a bounce day.

I'm 40, 5 feet tall, small boned. Goal weight 110 and while we are going for the goal I'd like to have 20 BF.

Here's a typical day:

I'm averaging 1500 cals a day over a week. I have been aiming not to exceed 1800.
Woo hoo!!!!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #598
Big Yapper!!!!

Wow Shelley, that is a lot to learn and digest. I printed it off and will look at it some more. I have another friend on LC friends who has also worked with adrenal fatique, will try to point you two in each others direction.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #599
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Cathy, isn't that what Jimmy Moore is taking? I have googled it but haven't run across much info on it or much info on people who are taking it. What have you heard or read about it.

I am still waiting for one of you to post the miracle weight loss pill that will help us all lose 15 lbs per month Come On People
Ha, ha!!! I am waiting on that as well!!

Jimmy Moore is taking Glycosolve which is the branded name of berberine. There is some recent Canadian research on it (can't put my finger on the link at the moment and will later if anyone is interested) but here is a little wiki article about it....

Berberine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Will will read that it is good for a lot of things but I am mainly interested in the metabolic issues. I started taking it 4.5 wks. ago and will continue for 3 months and hopefully be able to come to some conclusion about it for myself.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #600
Big Yapper!!!!

Please keep us update Cathy,wil be glad to know your thoughts on it.
Closed Thread