Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 07:25 AM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Picturing Kristn walking around family gathering with a big block of cream cheese clutched in her little hot hands

You can do it Kristn, stay strong. I am going on a little trip to see family too, have my cooler out with things to take along.
I had a trip where I was staying at friend's home and she asked if I would like anything special food-wise.

I asked for cream cheese.
I didn't eat that much of it, but was SO glad it was there! It was my safety blanket.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tablis
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Quote:
Picturing Kristn walking around family gathering with a big block of cream cheese clutched in her little hot hands

You can do it Kristn, stay strong. I am going on a little trip to see family too, have my cooler out with things to take along.
Yeah, I totally relate to the problem of family get togethers. Very smart that you guys bring your own stuff. Kristin what do you bring besides cream cheese?
Buffy whatcha got in your cooler?
Old 11-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #33
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Let's see. I have diet root beer, some pieces of bacon, 2 avocados, 3 pumpkin muffins, some porkrinds and half a bar of really yummy dark dark chocolate. DDIL always has eggs in the house, half and half, which will have to do in place of HWC, real butter. Oh, perhaps I should stick in a little container of coconut oil.

Eating a good breakfast before I go, 2 egg yolks and 2 slices of bacon.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablis View Post
Yeah, I totally relate to the problem of family get togethers. Very smart that you guys bring your own stuff. Kristin what do you bring besides cream cheese?
Buffy whatcha got in your cooler?
We're bringing eggs, sausage, sour cream, cream cheese, cheese, macadamia nuts, and coconut cream. I may have forgotten something.

I love my aunt and uncle dearly and we're staying with them. But most of my family seems to be stuck in low-fat and I need to be sure that we have stuff we can eat for breakfast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45

Buffy you crack me up! Have fun on your trip!
Old 11-02-2012, 08:34 AM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: omatic
Stats: 148/140/130
Breakfast: one egg with two yolks scrambled in butter, two pieces of bacon, serving of liver wurst and three strawberries. Like heaven

Morning Bk 1.7

Onward with the day!
Old 11-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #36
Junior LCF Member

I have a trip next weekend. Have to pack provisions! Makes me laugh! All your comments make it doable.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #37
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Re: Magnesium supplements - which is the most readily absorb-able? Anyone supplement with potassium and if so how much and what kind? Thank you for any info!
Old 11-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #38
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Re: Magnesium supplements - which is the most readily absorb-able? Anyone supplement with potassium and if so how much and what kind? Thank you for any info!
I believe they are all quite similar EXCEPT oxide, which is only like 2% absorbable or some really low percentage. I like malate myself. Don't really do potassium myself except for the salt substitute. I used potassium a lot when I did the low calorie hcg diet.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sutton_02
Stats: 5'8" - Currently 172lbs / Goal of 150lbs
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Good morning!

Sasonnier, glad to hear y'all got out of dodge, but I feel ya' about the predicaments of traveling.

Tablis, that is awesome! I love reading about everyone's success with NK. Keep up the good work!

Buffy, that IS a funny image of Kristn with her block of cream cheese. You crack me up. (I see you're heading to my neck of the woods this weekend - I'll wave from south Austin.)

Thanks Kristn, Jillybean, and SouthernGirl for your dairy input. I'm sad to report that after only a few days with it, I think it's not for me. My skin doesn't look as bright as usual and my knee has had a bit of inflammation. It's nothing major, but if it is causing these minor issues, it makes me question what is going on inside that I cannot feel/see, you know? What a bummer, but at least now I know. I'm gonna' finish my Kerrygold Cheddar and organic HWC before I ditch the dairy again. I'll probably keep the butter though. It doesn't seem to cause issues.

Ketones were 2.1 this morning, so I'm back in!

Everyone have a good day!
Old 11-02-2012, 10:11 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sutton_02
Stats: 5'8" - Currently 172lbs / Goal of 150lbs
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Yeah, I agree with Paulabob. I remember hearing that any magnesium ending with -ate is most readily absorbable . . . malate, citrate, etc. I personally use 400mg of magnesium citrate.

Regarding potassium - I supplement with NOW Foods Potassium plus Iodine because I don't feel like I get enough of either via diet. It has 99mg of potassium and I take four throughout the day.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #41
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton_02 View Post
Good morning!

Sasonnier, glad to hear y'all got out of dodge, but I feel ya' about the predicaments of traveling.

Tablis, that is awesome! I love reading about everyone's success with NK. Keep up the good work!

Buffy, that IS a funny image of Kristn with her block of cream cheese. You crack me up. (I see you're heading to my neck of the woods this weekend - I'll wave from south Austin.)

Thanks Kristn, Jillybean, and SouthernGirl for your dairy input. I'm sad to report that after only a few days with it, I think it's not for me. My skin doesn't look as bright as usual and my knee has had a bit of inflammation. It's nothing major, but if it is causing these minor issues, it makes me question what is going on inside that I cannot feel/see, you know? What a bummer, but at least now I know. I'm gonna' finish my Kerrygold Cheddar and organic HWC before I ditch the dairy again. I'll probably keep the butter though. It doesn't seem to cause issues.

Ketones were 2.1 this morning, so I'm back in!

Everyone have a good day!
DS lives in S Austin, wave
Old 11-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #42
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JoeEO
Here is my status

1) I listened to 2 pretty great podcasts from Jimmy Moore this week - both of them with Dr. Thomas Dayspring. The long and short of the podcast is that most (80%) cases of dyslipidemia are caused by insulin resistance - and the best treatment for insulin resistance is a low carb diet....It was nice hearing this from the foremost lipidologist. I must admit I do have a some fat phobia about this WOE

2) Been fasting all day....BG=76 and BK=4.9

3) Torturing myself by slow-roasting pork ribs while fasting.

4) Still having issues with Sodium, potassium and magnesium and CRAMPING....

Peace

Joe E O
Old 11-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Hi all....

Drive safely those of you who are traveling this weekend, and have fun. Love your food stashes that you will take with you. I may be traveling across 3 states next weekend and will do the same. Everyone eats spaghetti and toast and pancakes! NO NO NO!!!!!!

Joe....your fasting and slow roasting pork is nuts!!!! You are torturing yourself. Drink more water, take more potassium!!!!! I just got mine in the mail today (in capsules) and hope to enjoy that better than the powder in water all the time.

And...to a few of you who encouraged me to toss the egg white and make my eggs with one white and a couple yolks....i did it...2 days in a row. It was hard to toss out the white. I was raised to not toss out things! Glad a few of you did it first, so it seemed "okay".

Stay safe on the roads everyone!!
Old 11-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Hello to All.

Sasonnier, wow, long trip. We made a 21 hour evaculation once, nearly drove off the road once. Tough to live with others too, had to do that a few times for several weeks waiting for power to be restored; thoughts and prayers your way! I hope you have news on your house, that is a tough thing to wonder about.

WTG Tablis! You are a quick start, that is so good. When I pack for travel, I take hard-boiled eggs; cheese; cream cheese; coconut butter mixed with almond butter; nuts; jerky; pre-cooked bacon and cream in little containers that do not have to be cooled. Seems everyone we know think that danish, breads, muffins are breakfast and sandwiches are lunch! Even when I tell folks that we "do not eat grains or bread"....well there it is. What do you say?

Kristn/Buffy, right on with the coolers! I get funny looks, especially with eating cream cheese from the block.

Hey Judy, good idea, everyone always asks....and it does have to be packed down tight in Texas to travel!

Cathy, oxide is not a good form, except to clean you out. The other forms have different percentages of absorbing, but anything with -ate at the end is good. I take two 99mg potassium a day, but many folks doing LC take 4 99 a day. I do not have cramps in legs anymore, after upping the mag and pot.

Joe E O.....what doses are you taking? You need Buffy's broth with butter.

Hi Shelly, I am loving the two yolks in the morning! I still feel guilty for tossing the whites. Maybe they freeze?
Old 11-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Subbing
Old 11-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CurlyGirly
Stats: 212/199.0/150
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
Hello! I have the Nova meter and test when I have the strips. The highest reading I've gotten so far is .8, so I'm working on increasing my fat, moderately limiting protein. I have a question. Do any of you eat flax in your current plan? I'm mainly thinking about the OMM's that I eat a couple of times a week and wondering if I should cut those out.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #47
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mrsjuliekelly
Stats: 263/163/133
Start Date: Atkins 11/2001 NK 9/2013
Quote:

Hey, a NK girl has got to do what she has got to do. The block of cream cheese comment made me laugh.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: One maur time
WOE: Atkins, lchf, nk
Start Date: 01/15/2011
Hi Everyone
Trying to stay NK here in NYC. We have been very fortunate to have kept our lights, Internet and phone. Feeling so horrible for all those who are suffering and it is rampant. Actually startling and painful how widespread the devastation is.
An odd thing happened yesterday - we had a meal higher in protein and carbs then we normally have - the following am blood glucose was really low - for me- 88. The bk was .4 not very different but so weird because some on the food had bread crumbs-something I never eat but circumstances forced me to be more flexible. Any thoughts? Plus I think I may be one of those folks who has lowish am ketones and much higher ones later in the day.
Why does this happen?
Stay safe and dry
Maureen
Old 11-03-2012, 05:49 AM   #49
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
I've lost 2.1 kg which is huge for me bc
I have been stalled forever

Also, I started magnesium citrate and its starting to work so thanks on that too.
Great things are happening !
Old 11-03-2012, 05:58 AM   #50
Junior LCF Member

Ketone Levels

Has anyone read anything about ketone levels as far as why people can get such varied levels? I can never seem to get above 1.9 and that is will less than 20g carbs, around 40 grams protein and of course plenty of fat. So easy to drop that BK number down.

An individual thing, maybe? Diet history, age, amount of weight to lose, gender, insulin resistance, keto adaptation ?
Old 11-03-2012, 07:39 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Morning to everyone! Its a well, humid, warm, but sunny Sat Morning, I look forward to working in the garden!

Hi CurlyGirly, love the pic! Good numbers. I do not eat flax, used to put it in things, but DH didn't care for the taste. I think a few may use it now and then, but I do not

Morning Maureen! Good to hear from you! Hurricanes are evil! We keep rations/water from June to December for years; we stay ready for two weeks of survival without power! I am concerned that folks have not had adequate help delivered at this point. Sometimes when we consume a bit higher it has good results. Varying can kill a stall. I don't measure ketones, so others will have to give you their opinions.

Omatic, I think your ketones are in a good range. Most I think say up to 3. ?? I am certain it is that we are all different, process everything differently, between male, female, age, height, weight, body frame size.

Out to work now! Talk to you all later.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #52
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
Originally Posted by One maur time View Post
An odd thing happened yesterday - we had a meal higher in protein and carbs then we normally have - the following am blood glucose was really low - for me- 88. The bk was .4 not very different but so weird because some on the food had bread crumbs-something I never eat but circumstances forced me to be more flexible. Any thoughts? Plus I think I may be one of those folks who has lowish am ketones and much higher ones later in the day.
Why does this happen?
Stay safe and dry
Maureen
From what I've read it's normal for blood ketones to be lower in the am, and then rise. That seems to be Jimmy Moore's experience. I think it's a good time to take it because it's a fasting number and more consistent.

On blood sugar, higher carbs later in the day leads to a lower blood sugar reading as a hypoglycemic response. Some people will have higher readings the next day, but you may sometimes have a different pattern. Of course, 88 isn't a low number, but it's not necessarily indicating an underlying improvement but rather a temporary thing. Blood sugar rises too high during the night in response to the nighttime eating load, then begins overcorrecting as the huge load of insulin begins functioning. Also protein has a different effect on blood sugar than carbs, being a lot slower to digest. I know when the doctor caught my hypoglycemia (fyi, 30 years after I had had it) my number was 45. Caused by my having popcorn 8 pm the night before. Not really an answer for you, but some thoughts on morning blood sugars since there can be different patterns for different people.
2012 lowish Optimal calories, June25th 132.6/124.6/110
Old 11-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Hi all....

Drive safely those of you who are traveling this weekend, and have fun. Love your food stashes that you will take with you. I may be traveling across 3 states next weekend and will do the same. Everyone eats spaghetti and toast and pancakes! NO NO NO!!!!!!

Joe....your fasting and slow roasting pork is nuts!!!! You are torturing yourself. Drink more water, take more potassium!!!!! I just got mine in the mail today (in capsules) and hope to enjoy that better than the powder in water all the time.

And...to a few of you who encouraged me to toss the egg white and make my eggs with one white and a couple yolks....i did it...2 days in a row. It was hard to toss out the white. I was raised to not toss out things! Glad a few of you did it first, so it seemed "okay".

Stay safe on the roads everyone!!
Please catch me up... why would we toss the whites?
Old 11-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Let's see. I have diet root beer, some pieces of bacon, 2 avocados, 3 pumpkin muffins, some porkrinds and half a bar of really yummy dark dark chocolate. DDIL always has eggs in the house, half and half, which will have to do in place of HWC, real butter. Oh, perhaps I should stick in a little container of coconut oil.

Eating a good breakfast before I go, 2 egg yolks and 2 slices of bacon.
Cool thanks. Have a great trip!
Old 11-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post

WTG Tablis! You are a quick start, that is so good. When I pack for travel, I take hard-boiled eggs; cheese; cream cheese; coconut butter mixed with almond butter; nuts; jerky; pre-cooked bacon and cream in little containers that do not have to be cooled. Seems everyone we know think that danish, breads, muffins are breakfast and sandwiches are lunch! Even when I tell folks that we "do not eat grains or bread"....well there it is. What do you say?

Joe E O.....what doses are you taking? You need Buffy's broth with butter.

Hi Shelly, I am loving the two yolks in the morning! I still feel guilty for tossing the whites. Maybe they freeze?
Thanks for the encouragement and the trip-food ideas!
Pls tell me about buffy's broth- or maybe buffy could pls. also wondering
about the benefits of tossing the whites.
thanks!
Old 11-03-2012, 10:03 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omatic View Post
Great things are happening !
Thanks for the encouragement!
Old 11-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #57
Big Yapper!!!!

Hi Tablis. Some of us are realizing that it is the yolks of the egg we really love so just toss the whites and enjoy the yolks. On the broth, I always thought the broth I got when I put a pot of chicken on to boil, turned out so bland. Now, I add a big hunk of butter, really adds to the taste. 1/2 lb to a soup pot full of chicken, water, salt and pepper.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement and the trip-food ideas!
Pls tell me about buffy's broth- or maybe buffy could pls. also wondering
about the benefits of tossing the whites.
thanks!
I also prefer the yolks, but you have fewer protein grams in yolks only. So I can save my protein for something later.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyGirly View Post
Hello! I have the Nova meter and test when I have the strips. The highest reading I've gotten so far is .8, so I'm working on increasing my fat, moderately limiting protein. I have a question. Do any of you eat flax in your current plan? I'm mainly thinking about the OMM's that I eat a couple of times a week and wondering if I should cut those out.
My readings are .5 to .8 generally when I test (2 months now), but to answer you, I don't do flax...(hypothyroid)
Old 11-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Please catch me up... why would we toss the whites?
Simple answer is that the whites contain the protein (and nonfat which is why most diets eat eggwhite omelets.... The yolk has the fat! The part we all aim to raise. So, I have one egg, and one egg yolk scrambled in 1 TBSP of CO in the morning with bacon, coffee with HWC and MCT oil. Took me a while to get the right amounts to have enough, and also not feel icky from too much fat. And then I can have a real lunch or dinner with some form of food protein that I can really enjoy since I eliminated the egg white protein in the morning.
Closed Thread