Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #541
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tablis
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Awesome info Kristin, I feel like an idiot but no matter how much I read abou this Omega 6 /Omega 3 balance thing I haven't a clue how to implement it.
Do you think you could walk me thru it? My one step towards trying to improve my ratios has been to incorporate flax oil, and CO

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2012, 10:50 AM   #542
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
I freely use butter, animal fats/bacon grease, lard, light olive oil, and coconut oil for fats.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #543
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablis View Post
Awesome info Kristin, I feel like an idiot but no matter how much I read abou this Omega 6 /Omega 3 balance thing I haven't a clue how to implement it.
Do you think you could walk me thru it? My one step towards trying to improve my ratios has been to incorporate flax oil, and CO
Avoiding omega-6 oils is as important as getting enough omega-3. What I do is to use mostly saturated and monounsaturated fats. I never use industrial seed oils (canola, corn, safflower, etc.). For high-heat cooking I use lard, bacon grease, tallow, coconut, or palm oil (you can buy this as "organic shortening"). I use olive oil for salad dressing, but there are other monounsaturated oils you could use instead like macadamia nut oil, avocado oil. etc. I'm wary of flax oil because it is very easy for it to go rancid.

I also try to eat wild salmon 1-2x/week and eat mostly grass-fed and pastured meats.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 11-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #544
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lianora Mosswood
Stats: 165/121/115 5'3" 54 yrs
WOE: locarb primal juddd
Start Date: January 2011
Re: check my macros

Quote:
So using the recommendations in the Performance book your protein calculation would be:

90.3 (ideal LBM) X .6 = 54
90.3 X1 = 90.3

So your protein range according to the Performance book is 54-90. If you feel good and can get into ketosis at a protein level of 75 grams then your numbers look good!

Some people have found that they need to go to the lower end of the protein range (some people go even lower) to get into and sustain ketosis. It really is individual and you may need to do some experimenting down the road. Phinney and Volek like to give ranges in the book and emphasize individualized nutrition. These are all starting points and then we each find what works for us through experimentation.
Thanks for that input--it seemed like the protein grams were high to me. I will work with the 75 grams for this week and next, see how it goes and adjust as needed.

To explain/confess: last year at this time, my loss slowed way down and I stalled for weeks on end only to finally lose a half pound. So I started freaking out and obsessing over every little thing, and at one point, was doing "Atkins Induction/Primal/JUDDD/Leptin Reset/Calorie Counting/Craziness" all at the same time, or alternating between them all on a day to day basis. This time, I am resolved to stick with ONE thing for at least two weeks before I tweak it or change it up!

And on another note, I sure do appreciate how responsive and friendly everyone is in this group.

~ birdie
Old 11-18-2012, 11:35 AM   #545
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Fresh French style green beans, broccoli, and cauliflower all in the fridge, awaiting steaming for our family dinner later this week! I don't love turkey, so I won't do a whole roast turkey since I don't want the leftovers, so I bought a bunch of turkey cutlets and plan to do some sort of stuffed/rolled up baked turkey things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Beachy View Post
Another plus..... is the cool name this WOE has. LOL!!! LCHF just isn't a cool sounding name -- like Paleo or Primal. Now I will sound very scientific when I tell people what kind of eating plan use, and people are starting to ask. LOL!!
hehe, I always get funny looks when I say I eat low-carb/high-fat. And the jaw-dropping that happens when I say I eat grain-free Nutritional Ketosis does have a nice scientific don't-mess-with-me-I-know-what-I'm-doing ring to it
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Hi Jilly....you know, I wonder if your issues are not directly due to bariatric surgery changing your processing/digestion/etc. It is such a major change in a body. Relatively "new" to healthcare as well. You just need to do what works for you and makes you happy/healthy! We had humidifiers in both rooms, cleaned with vinegar every other day, for 10 years! I never thought it was such a big deal, I thought they were so lucky for not being me! They were exposed to dirt, leaves, dogs, cats, and I refused to dust but once a week. this was all on recommendation of allergist. they must be exposed early in life to anything that could become allergy...that way they build up tolerance naturally and don't respond when suddenly exposed. Now they still have some seasonal allergies, and each has one drug allergy...but they are in excellent health and great girls. CT
Yeah, it's so hard to know how my surgery has affected me because my particular surgery is actually not a "STANDARD" form - it's not the same as the typical RNY gastric bypass everyone is familiar with, and I don't have the same configuration even as others who have had the same procedure since my surgeon did things differently due to my own personal anatomy (thanks to scar tissue from a prior surgery as a teen unrelated to weight loss). At this point, I believe I am not malabsorbing any macronutrients, but the removal of the outer curvature of the stomach and the rerouting of the intestines do result in changes to certain gut bacteria and hormones (one of the theories as to why it is such a powerful tool against type 2 diabetes even before the patient loses weight). But I will say that eating LCHF worked for me post-surgery, and it's only this time around post-baby) that it seems to be significantly less effective.
I'm glad to hear what your allergist said because I have 2 dogs, my daycare provider has a cat, and I rarely dust, so Mr. Baby has full exposure! I'm actually so bad about dusting and vacuuming that I have been looking to hire a cleaning service (just had someone give me a quote yesterday, and she's coming to clean our house tomorrow!). I've always been bad about cleaning, but with a baby who hates the sound of the vacuum cleaner, it's gotten noticeably worse!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Jilly--LC and NK aren't right for everyone. Those of us who have had success using these strategies sometimes have a hard time seeing that. It may be that more of a Weight Watchers type of plan (where you can eat everything as long as you count points/calories) or even something entirely different would work better for you?
I remind myself, though, that I don't eat low in carbs just for weight loss, but for general health. I definitely want to stay as close to grain-free as possible, continue to avoid starchy veggies and fruit, and steer clear of obvious sweets (candy has clearly been my downfall lately, but need to get that under wraps and make some vanilla coconut bark to keep on hand). Low in carbs is best for me since I've had type 2 diabetes and have inflammation issues (particularly skin issues).
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgemont View Post
I've gone from size 18W to 14 so I know somethings working, just not seeing it on scale.
That is GREAT progress - congrats! It was a whole new world for me when I could buy things in Misses sizes instead of only Women's/Plus sizes. Suddenly, there were TONS of stores where I could shop instead of just a handful of the usual stand-bys.
Quote:
1)my vit d is superlow. has been for ages so are my kids. dr. told me to supplement with 400 iu /day and we've all done that for quite awhile and it hasn't done anything. I read quite a bit both in favor and against higher doses and I have upped us all up to 1000 IU.
But now I'm reading the kind of doses you guys are taking and wonder if that's enough.
As I think Kristn mentioned, be sure you're taking D3, not D2. Don't go by my mention of 50,000 IUs of D3 daily; I need abnormally high doses due to my bariatric surgery. But I had my husband on 4,000-5,000 IUs per day. 400 won't help a deficiency at all, and 1000 could potentially keep it from dropping further but will still be unlikely to actually help. At 4-5,000 IUs of D3, it would be pretty unlikely you'd get too high within 6 months (or ever). It's harder to OD on D3 than D2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
I am taking all the supplements that have been recommended, thinking of asking my Dr. for some B12 injections if this doesn't pass soon.
Do you take a sublingual B12? I've always taken those and never had injections. The sublinguals successfully brought my levels up from the 300s to over 2000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Note to all: my aggravating tummy ache-heartburn has been mostly cured with.....(feeling stupid for not doing this sooner)....1 teaspoon of Braggs ACV, followed very quickly by 1 teaspoon of local honey. It's a known "cure" for GERD symptoms..Amazing relief.
So glad you found such a simple means of relief.
Quote:
btw whats the official NK stance on canola oil?
is it good or evil?

what about margarine?.... is it really horrible? i haven't had it this whole time
but do like it very much. not a fan of butter...
I don't know about for NK specifically, but, in general, I avoid both, as margarine is typically a bunch of scary chemicals, and canola is a bit of a "frankenfood" if you read about it.
Quote:
so the options are only CO and olive oil?
I have the same issue as you with the margarine but I try very hard not to use it. Iwas just hoping maybe something changed butter and eggs are back to being ok.

I wish i could like olive oil but I don't. I do mix it with canola for salad. But for cooking, since olive oil can't be heated its a bit of a dilema bc I can only stomach CO as a fat bomb. tried frying in it and it was a no go... at least for now.
I don't really cook with CO because, no matter what anyone says, I can still smell/taste some coconut, and that's just not okay for most of my recipes! I use primarily high oleic sunflower oil and almond oil and sometimes MCT oil. Like you, I just don't care for olive oil, plus I've read before about how a lot of what is sold as olive oil in the US actually isn't.
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)
Old 11-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #546
Big Yapper!!!!

I am going to try the sublingual B12. Yet another bottle on the shelf, sign!
Old 11-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #547
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
You could try a mild/light olive oil- the taste is much lighter. You can also try safflower oil- I believe Phinney suggests using it in his book. Safflower oil a very mild taste and it is a good oil to cook with.

It's possible that over time, you will be able to better tolerate CO
Thanks I think I've had safflower before and it was fine.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:16 PM   #548
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Avoiding omega-6 oils is as important as getting enough omega-3. What I do is to use mostly saturated and monounsaturated fats. I never use industrial seed oils (canola, corn, safflower, etc.). For high-heat cooking I use lard, bacon grease, tallow, coconut, or palm oil (you can buy this as "organic shortening"). I use olive oil for salad dressing, but there are other monounsaturated oils you could use instead like macadamia nut oil, avocado oil. etc. I'm wary of flax oil because it is very easy for it to go rancid.

I also try to eat wild salmon 1-2x/week and eat mostly grass-fed and pastured meats.
Thanks!
Old 11-18-2012, 12:18 PM   #549
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbird View Post
Ok, fat bombs--most of the recipes I see are too candy-like for me--my biggest problem is candy, not picky, any candy at all. What do you think the criteria is for a fat bomb? A certain ratio? I was thinking of making something with avocado, butter, coconut oil and spices to use to melt on meats or vegetables.
Fat bombs can be anything you like - the original idea was a quick, easy treat that's very high in fat, so they don't have to be sweet. I've seen a few savory fat bomb recipes, including a tasty-sounding curry fat bomb. Experiment, and please report back your successes...I'm always looking for new variations.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #550
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Nutritional Ketosis does have a nice scientific don't-mess-with-me-I-know-what-I'm-doing ring to it
I agree...although I've had to explain the difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis to my sister twice now, and i don't think she believes me. :/ But she keeps watching me shrink, and I keep feeding her fat bombs, so she may eventually join us on the "dark side".

I broke down and did my second ketosis test this morning (I'm such a gadget head...I just can leave it alone!). It was 0.8 the morning after the Great Chinese Food Debacle, so I think I'm doing well. Thanks, Kristen and Buffy, for the encouragement yesterday afternoon when I was panicking.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #551
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: wrigglycate
Start Date: Mid October 2012
Can now physically tell when cortisol is high

Quote:
The saliva test is the best way to measure. I have been tested three ways: saliva, 24 hour urine, and blood. I was really high when I first tested, have been working to lower it, and I can now physically tell when my cortisol goes high. Usually it's arounds something stressful, but I can still very easily go high in the morning without any stress. I should absolutely not be drinking coffee in the morning, but I do it anyway.
Just checking in after a hiatus of a week or so;

So Mom2Zeke did you send off your cortisol tests to an independent lab? What are the symptoms you feel when your cortisol is high? I was feeling so awful on the NK diet that I stopped for a while and upped my protein and carb intake (while still eating very cleanly ......lots more meat and veggies). I also had a herpes outbreak which is a sure sign that my immune system was low as it rarely happens when I'm eating lots of meat.
I'm going to try for NK again but I'm wondering with night shift and difficulty sleeping in the day time if my cortisol levels were causing me to feel so awful.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #552
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
First nexium, then prisolec generic b/c it was affordable. And, I get it by prescription rather than buying it OTC which is even more affordable. So, first I lowered my dose from 40mg a day to 20mg a day. Now, this month, I am trying to do 20mg every other day but wow, having some trouble.
I had to do the same thing last January and had terrible rebound acid. I found out you can switch to Zantac OTC to control the acid and it doesn't have the rebound effect. After a week, you can taper off the dose without getting acid reflux.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #553
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I too suffer from b12 deficiency for many years. (The dr always told me I should be eating more meat and I would laugh bc I think on this WOE I'm eating alot more meat than most ) Its probably an issue of malabsorbtion but thus far I have not figured it out and just take shots.
I tried sublingual b12 and it did nothing. I then did shots to bring me up to level and tried using sublingual to maintain and it didn't work. I now take shots about once every three weeks bc once a month didn't quite do it.
One thing I've learned is that most drs are not very knowledgeable about b12.
There is a wonderful book called "could it be b12" by Sally Pacholok. Very informative. Two things I just want to mention.
1)From what I've read it seems to be a good idea to check your levels before you do anything: b12, folic acid iron transferrin and ferritin. (also potassium- see number 2)Apparently they all work together and if you are deficient in say folic acid and start taking b12it could mask the deficiency.
Pacholok recommends testing Methylmalonic acid Homocysteine as well but my ins didn't want to cover that.
2)if you really are very deficient in b12 and you do take shots be sure to sort out your potassium levels first bc the potassium levels can temorarily drop as b12 is rising and this can be really dangerous if you have low potassium to begin with. I read on another thread ppl mentioning this happened to them with sublingual too.

you can google "sally pacholok" and also "b12 and potassium"
Old 11-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #554
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigglycate View Post
Just checking in after a hiatus of a week or so;

So Mom2Zeke did you send off your cortisol tests to an independent lab? What are the symptoms you feel when your cortisol is high? I was feeling so awful on the NK diet that I stopped for a while and upped my protein and carb intake (while still eating very cleanly ......lots more meat and veggies). I also had a herpes outbreak which is a sure sign that my immune system was low as it rarely happens when I'm eating lots of meat.
I'm going to try for NK again but I'm wondering with night shift and difficulty sleeping in the day time if my cortisol levels were causing me to feel so awful.
I did the cortisol test independently through canary club which was the cheapest that I found. It does take a while to get the results back if you go through them--I believe there are other places you can order the test from where you pay more but get the results quicker. The urine and blood tests were done through my ND and Endo respectively.

For me I get really edgy and shaky when my cortisol is raised. It's very uncomfortable.

Were you getting extra salt and potassium/magnesium when you were trying NK previously?

Sleep cycles being off can really mess you up. Is there anything that you can do to help with that?
Old 11-18-2012, 01:26 PM   #555
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lianora Mosswood
Stats: 165/121/115 5'3" 54 yrs
WOE: locarb primal juddd
Start Date: January 2011
Baking this today. I found this on Emeril's site (minus the crust and topping of candied nuts) and added walnuts to the cheese mixture.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Gorgonzola Crustless Cheesecake, Servings: 16

78% fat; 17% protein; 5% carbs

1 pound gorgonzola cheese, at room temperature
1 pound cream cheese, at room temperature
4 eggs
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a mixing bowl combine cheese and cream cheese and mix until smooth. Add the eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper and combine well. Using a spatula, transfer cheese mixture to the pan and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the cake is golden brown and not loose in the center.

When the cake is puffed, golden brown and not loose in the center, transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool at least 30 minutes before serving.

228 calories
3.04g carbs
1.08 g fiber (if you count net carbs)
10.22 g protein
20.31 g fat

Will let you know if it's any good, but how could it not be???

~ birdie
Old 11-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #556
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks for that idea MerryKate, I will take zantac as needed as I taper off.

Birdie, that sure sounds good, let us know.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #557
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
Start Date: 10/24/12
Regarding the whole fat bomb thing- I started out with making fat bombs (I dont eat any sweetener, so mine was unsweetened chocolate (melted w/CO) w/ peanut butter (no sugar)- frozen and layered in a candy mold. however, i have since stopped doing that, b/c I have no problem getting fat in my diet. For better or worse, i find that I have to limit my fat intake to keep my macros and calories in check. It is really easy to get my fat consumption closer to 90% and still max out my protein and carb allowances
Old 11-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #558
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Quote:
In addition to what tablis said about B12, also note that there are two types of OTC sublingual B12. The most common is cyanocobalamin, but there is also the methylcobalamin, which tends to be more effective (and, of course, more expensive!). To save sanity, I just call them "the C one" and "the M one" since I don't know how to say nor spell either of them without Google's help! In the body, the C one actually has to be converted to the M one for use by the nervous system, so if there is anything potentially hindering efficient conversion in the body, the C one could be rendered nearly useless. I do fine with the C one, but if I had trouble, I'd try the M one before reverting to injections. That said, I would do almost anything to avoid having to have regular injections because I'm a pretty big baby about needles
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
I agree...although I've had to explain the difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis to my sister twice now, and i don't think she believes me. :/ But she keeps watching me shrink, and I keep feeding her fat bombs, so she may eventually join us on the "dark side".

I broke down and did my second ketosis test this morning (I'm such a gadget head...I just can leave it alone!). It was 0.8 the morning after the Great Chinese Food Debacle, so I think I'm doing well. Thanks, Kristen and Buffy, for the encouragement yesterday afternoon when I was panicking.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #559
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Thanks for that idea MerryKate, I will take zantac as needed as I taper off.

Birdie, that sure sounds good, let us know.
Birdie I want to know, too! Do tell us after you've tasted it!
Old 11-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #560
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: wrigglycate
Start Date: Mid October 2012
sleep cycles

Quote:
I did the cortisol test independently through canary club which was the cheapest that I found. It does take a while to get the results back if you go through them--I believe there are other places you can order the test from where you pay more but get the results quicker. The urine and blood tests were done through my ND and Endo respectively.

For me I get really edgy and shaky when my cortisol is raised. It's very uncomfortable.

Were you getting extra salt and potassium/magnesium when you were trying NK previously?

Sleep cycles being off can really mess you up. Is there anything that you can do to help with that?
Thanks for your reply Mom2Zeke

Yes after a while I made sure to up my salt, potassium and magnesium.

Not a lot I can do at present to change my sleep cycles except to switch shifts at the soonest opportunity which might take a while. But since I have seniority at work I would get first pick of a day shift if someone leaves. Also my kids are grown and out of the house and my DH is very independent so I can spend my days kicking back and napping when I need to. It's just that night time sleep is much more deep and satisfying than day time sleep.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #561
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigglycate View Post
Thanks for your reply Mom2Zeke

Yes after a while I made sure to up my salt, potassium and magnesium.

Not a lot I can do at present to change my sleep cycles except to switch shifts at the soonest opportunity which might take a while. But since I have seniority at work I would get first pick of a day shift if someone leaves. Also my kids are grown and out of the house and my DH is very independent so I can spend my days kicking back and napping when I need to. It's just that night time sleep is much more deep and satisfying than day time sleep.
Best of luck working out your work schedule and sleep issues. I have worked so hard to get into a good sleep pattern over the past few years, I don't know how I would fare doing a night shift.

DH laughs at me because I have made our room totally dark, try to go to bed at the same time every night, lower lights in the evening, use f.lux on my computer, etc. But even he is sleeping much better these days.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #562
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbird View Post
Baking this today. I found this on Emeril's site (minus the crust and topping of candied nuts) and added walnuts to the cheese mixture.

Gorgonzola Crustless Cheesecake, Servings: 16

78% fat; 17% protein; 5% carbs

1 pound gorgonzola cheese, at room temperature
1 pound cream cheese, at room temperature
4 eggs
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a mixing bowl combine cheese and cream cheese and mix until smooth. Add the eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper and combine well. Using a spatula, transfer cheese mixture to the pan and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the cake is golden brown and not loose in the center.

When the cake is puffed, golden brown and not loose in the center, transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool at least 30 minutes before serving.

228 calories
3.04g carbs
1.08 g fiber (if you count net carbs)
10.22 g protein
20.31 g fat

Will let you know if it's any good, but how could it not be???

~ birdie
Birdie, send me your addy and I will be right over!! Sounds absolutely devine!!
Old 11-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #563
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
In addition to what tablis said about B12, also note that there are two types of OTC sublingual B12. The most common is cyanocobalamin, but there is also the methylcobalamin, which tends to be more effective (and, of course, more expensive!).
I second this.

Anyone needing b-12 I highly recommend methylcobalamin. It's the form your body actually uses. I'm also normally deficient and about 20% of the population are not good metabolizers and should avoid folic acid (except the sort your body actually uses) and get plenty of methylcobalamin. It took a long time for my doctor to diagnose me as my iron deficiency and high folate levels masked the b-12 problem in my bloodwork.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #564
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
WOW one of my friends directed me to this link, I think there is a ton of good info in here, I lost 150 pounds and now have been stuck just trying to get any lower on regular low carb, I work out a lot, and trying to find balance between enough carbs to sustain workouts is a huge issue, I have a lot of back reading to do but wanted to mark my spot!
Old 11-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #565
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: edgemont
Stats: 210/181/150?
WOE: lcHFmp Primal
I am really enjoying reading all of the posts this evening. I am learning a lot. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of the expertise there is especially on the supplement issue.

I had another nice drop this morning and don't know what else to attribute it to other than going to two meals per day. If any one has been looking for something to tweak their program to get things moving again, this might be it! It was for me...so far! I'm sure it can't possibly stay at this rate for very long.

Sophie, I am also Jewish, but don't keep kosher. I grew up in a kosher home in upstate NY, but my parents stopped when I was in middle school. I could actually use your help, though! I am sending my daughter to Hebrew Day School and can only send her with dairy lunches. I'm trying to feed her as close to Primal as possible (not NK though) and she is a fairly picky eater. Not into PB (which I don't buy anymore anyway) or almond butter (my personal fav), will only eat whites of hard boiled egg, and will only eat a few bites of smoked salmon (lox). I end up sending her with yogurt most days (along with nuts, fruit and veggies, but she usually comes home with at least half if not all of everything.) Can't figure out what to send in her lunch box that she'll eat. She seems ok with it and eats a decent amount for dinner, so maybe I shouldn't worry.

You also mentioned the food co-op and I think you are referring to Park Slope? We don't live there, but used to! (7th ave and 9th St.) Moved to lower Westchester (New Rochelle), then to Peekskill then to Albany, where we are now. My husband still works in Manhattan, though, commuting daily on Amtrak. Ugh!

So...wondering what suggestion those "in the know" on supplements would have for someone who gets cramps in her toes. I thought for a while it had to do with wearing high heels, but I don't wear them much any more and still get the toe cramp now and then. Had it a bunch of times last week in the evening and middle of the night, but hadn't had for a few months prior to that. Goes away in a few seconds after the tip-toe dance, but I can't wiggle my toes or it will come back. Was thinking Magnesium, but don't know much about it. Also thought Potassium, but am hesitant to just experiment. I salt my foods well (kosher or sea salt), but don't think I'm getting enough of either in my foods. Thoughts?

Thanks to everyone for the kind welcome, by the way! It was so cool to get back on the boards and see all the comments. I hope to pay it forward too. Hope everyone has a good evening!
Old 11-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #566
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post
WOW one of my friends directed me to this link, I think there is a ton of good info in here, I lost 150 pounds and now have been stuck just trying to get any lower on regular low carb, I work out a lot, and trying to find balance between enough carbs to sustain workouts is a huge issue, I have a lot of back reading to do but wanted to mark my spot!
Bejewelme!

Quote:
I had another nice drop this morning and don't know what else to attribute it to other than going to two meals per day. If any one has been looking for something to tweak their program to get things moving again, this might be it! It was for me...so far! I'm sure it can't possibly stay at this rate for very long.
Congratuations on your loss. It seems like two meals a day in NK really works for some people! Thanks for sharing your experience with it.

Quote:
So...wondering what suggestion those "in the know" on supplements would have for someone who gets cramps in her toes. I thought for a while it had to do with wearing high heels, but I don't wear them much any more and still get the toe cramp now and then. Had it a bunch of times last week in the evening and middle of the night, but hadn't had for a few months prior to that. Goes away in a few seconds after the tip-toe dance, but I can't wiggle my toes or it will come back. Was thinking Magnesium, but don't know much about it. Also thought Potassium, but am hesitant to just experiment. I salt my foods well (kosher or sea salt), but don't think I'm getting enough of either in my foods. Thoughts?
I get terrible leg and foot cramps if I don't supplement with magnesium and potassium. These two minerals along with extra salt are highly recommended in The Art and Science of LC Performance.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #567
Junior LCF Member

Hey, Jillybean! Just wanted to say I am excited to be out of the plus sizes. I have a closet full of small sizes (6-12) but not many in the size I am now. (I gave away most of my larger sizes after I dropped a lot of it last time.) Hoping to get down another size quickly to avoid the need to shop.

Also wanted to send my encouragement to you to stick with it--in some form. You've been doing so well, and you have so many reasons to work at it (not the least of which is that incredibly adorable son of yours!) You make a great point of eating this way for general health, so focus on keeping the unhealthy foods out of the house (seed oils, sugar, starch, wheat, etc.) and the good ones close at hand. Not letting yourself get hungry and having a plan for each upcoming meal (and food prepared for it as much as possible) helps too.

I find the fat bombs really help me stay away from the sweets on a daily basis, and when I do want a treat, I plan in some 80 or 87% dark chocolate by Taza. I have it with my meal and make sure it doesn't put me over in carbs. If I have to give up some green veggie one day a week to get my fix, it's worth it if it helps me stay on track. I only have a 1/4 of the bar and it's so rich and sweet (well, sweet to me now--I probably never would have said that before going sugar free), that I couldn't handle more than that anyway.

I found that any deviation made me feel physically (and emotionally) badly, and that it takes a while to feel good again. (And remembering this helps me stay on track when the thought crosses my mind to take a bit of a forbidden fruit, so to speak.) So just give it time to work for you! If you stay on track it should only take a week or so to get your groove back, and then it's just a matter of reminding yourself why it's more important not to deviate.

You can do this!! And you appear to have a ton of people here who adore you and want to help. (I don't adore you yet, LOL, but am sure you are adore-able. And I hope to help in some small way.)

I'm going to be 50 in a few weeks and I have a 6 yo. I keep reminding myself that I need to be healthy and active for both of us. I need to be a good role model, and do what ever I can do to live as long as possible. She is already picking up on my new habits and asking a lot of questions about good and bad foods, etc. We owe it to our kids to make it work.

Best wishes!!
Old 11-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #568
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
So...wondering what suggestion those "in the know" on supplements would have for someone who gets cramps in her toes.
Is there any chance you have gout? It often starts in the toes (usually the big toe) and it's only occasional twinges at first. It feels like you're being stabbed with a hot needle, tho, so it's memorable.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #569
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Evening everyone! Watching football tonight, but I simply cannot look that those silly Bengal tiger strip uniforms without LOL! They look like pee-wee ball! So checking in to see how everyone's day went.
Tablis, supplements and vitamins are a "balance"...there are Calcium-Mag-Zinc blends out, but the Mag is oxide! And our LC diet did have one set of "needs", but basic LC includes many fruits, nuts and veggies, and you get at least half of what you need from consumption. NK offers a bit of a challenge, and studying one's daily diet to determine the need for that day. If I add a few almonds and a brazil nut (can't eat more than one for my size), then I will reduce minerals that day. B vitamins are incredibly valuable, they are championed with reducing dementia in half, and are thought to be the new trailblazer for prevention of brain decline. I take a B Complex Stress daily, to get all the Bs! I take an extra subling M-B12 in the morning. The injections are ify....some folks have postive results, some do not. I eat more beef, grass-fed, and DD2 got her anemia soundly defeated with beef.
Cathy, great post on salt. It has such a bad rap! My mother suffered us all with low salt, since she bought the line about it causing HBP. Nothing worse that low salt bread!!! We made our own, so I would slip a small loaf with salt for me!
Sophie, I agree with the others on the amazing "no hunger" side-effect of NK. LC would do that when I went very high protein, but I ventured to LC breads, and desserts, which didn't work for me.
Buffy, I hope you get to your goal of getting off the PPI soon. I watched my poor brother get stuck on them, and then the cycle of heartburn, reflux at night over and over. They really upset the balance of our systems, and also greatly reduce the aborption of vitamins we need. I hope you are feeling better today. I got out in the garden and stayed in the sunshine about 30 minutes watering and well, just standing there enjoying it all! Makes you feel soooo good!
drj, I think you are correct, the ones that experienced heart palpitations likely were scared off...I know coconut oil does that to me for about 20 minutes, but it's not severe, just in "high gear"! I made a huge pot of broth today, love to add stuff and let it cook all day. I used Buffy's recipe, which is wonderful, add a stick of butter to it!
Birdie, just remember that it takes a bit of tweaking those macros to get it in line! I had my protein way too low, and when I kicked it up a bit, all was well with the world. My favorite fab bomb is cream cheese mixed with either pecan butter or natural peanut butter.
Tablis and Sophie, margarine is horrible, I'll stop there. Soy is horrible, enough said -exception of fermented soy sauce. Canola should be illegal! No corn or cottonseed, etc...all are awful for our bodies. I do not care for flax oil, must be an acquired taste. I use coconut, olive (I use both EL and L), almond, walnut, macadamia nut oil, pecan, bacon drippings, "organic" lard (which still amuses me!)....
Kristn, wow, you started with those thyroid issues early. I think my DD1 needs to be tested, the more I listen you several of you and think of her complaints, she likely has issues. Hawaii sounds wonderful. My aunt/uncle lived there since 1950s....my cousins are still there and likely will never come to the "mainland"....have you ever stayed a while there? My Dad loved it there, but would not move!
Hi Jilly! I don't love turkey either...but can eat the dark meat for a meal or two. But DH, DDs love it, so I add crab, shrimp and crawfish to my dressing and that is my favorite! And we agree on house work too!
MerryKate, good number after chinese! My SIL just cannot understand NK; but at least she got LC and got my brother on it!
Wriggly, I just had my hormones and cortisol tested, waiting on results, should be in Friday. I went to compounding pharmacy and did the saliva test...there's a post on how much fun that was! Our sleep cycles are vital to our health, and night shifters are often sick and general malise. Less sleep, more fat storage, and likely higher cortisol due to the stress on the body. I know when I have to work very long days I will eat more, feel the "need" for sugar, and if it keeps up long I will usually have an allergy flare up. I will always increase Vit C and D3 in those times.
Hi Paula! How are you doing? Better??
Welcome Bejewel! Kristn exercises a lot, I think you will find that higher fat will work for workouts after you adapt.
Edgemont, great to hear of your loss! Congrats! Read posts on potassium and magnesium....find your personal needs to avoid cramps. Broth is first line of defense! My toes used to do that, go different directions! Ouch! You are 50 and have a 6 year old??? You must be a saint. I am 51 with twentysomethings....and I cannot imagine them as 6 yo again! Ya! Mine grew up LC....it works!

Last edited by SouthernGirl61; 11-18-2012 at 07:54 PM..
Old 11-18-2012, 07:54 PM   #570
Junior LCF Member

Thanks, Kristn. I lent my Performance book to my personal trainer last week. Do you happen to know if they included dosage information for those supplements? And versions of those items?

Also wondering if there are certain brands you like. I am member of Consumer Labs and can find out if they are ok, but will probably have to check mfgr site for full ingredient list. Here's why I'm so curious...

I read a few interesting articles on Prevention.com that explained what many of the ingredient names really were and how there is some really gross stuff in our foods. I've pretty much avoided buying anything with a label since going Primal, and have tried to cut down on those things for my daughter and husband too (though they are not completely on board with me yet, but supportive), but learned that those additives creep into our supplements, vitamins, my daughters organic yogurt and even her pastured ice cream.

Once I read that something labeled "natural flavoring" on a label could be as common as a secretion from a beaver's anal gland, that did it for me! Now I look for a number of things...

Shellac on pill coatings, hard shiny candies and even on organic apples is a resin secreted by the lac bug.

Copied from article: Cellulose is usually made from nontoxic wood pulp or cotton, and stuffed into shredded cheese, salad dressing, and ice cream to thicken it without adding calories or fat. Cellulose is fibrous, which is why it appears in so many high-fiber “healthy” snacks and breakfast cereals—and it’s even in organic products. Steer clear of terms like microcrystalline cellulose (MCC), cellulose gel, and cellulose gum, and carboxymethyl cellulose.

For details, go to Prevention for both articles. One called 7 Grossest Things in Your Food, and the other is Secrets About Your Food.

Hope this wasn't TMI for some people or old news for others, but felt I had to share.
Closed Thread