Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #481
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
What does that mean .... thyroid low/thyroid high...?????
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. If your thyroid is low your whole metabolism is sluggish. I'm feeling it right now (just went in for a blood test this morning to see what's going on). My biggest symptoms are: cold hands/feet, tired/spacey in the afternoon, sleepy at 6pm, hair falling out, dry skin (for me especially around my fingernails), swollen ankles. There's a whole long list of symptoms, many of which can be caused by other things--that's why getting tested can help to figure out what's going on.

If your thyroid is high then your metabolism is revved up, but apparently it can cause some of the same symptoms as low thyroid. My doctors always want me to watch out for things like feeling jittery, fast heartbeat, and loose stools.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #482
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Thank you Kristn - that is exactly what I was asking. I don't have any lethargy or any of the other symptoms that I have noticed. Must be something else....
Old 11-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #483
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Hi Jilly. I had two very allergic babies, and I am a former "bubble baby" allergic to 90% of the world around me. 9 years of allergy shots has kept me "normal"; and taking 250mg benadryl a day, for life. My DD1 had the same reaction her first ear infection, same med, and she was about 9-10 months old I think. We kept her on the benadryl for three weeks, and tapered the dosage. it's not usually effective to have babies allergy tested. DD1 had red hives off and on for about a month. Drove me nuts. Both were asthmatics as well, one from two weeks of age, the other started at six months. Bendryl could make his sinuses dry, and he could be thirsty, that may be part of the funky breathing patterns. Go with your "mommy gut", you know your baby. LOL for the fair skin! My BBF is as pink/white as I think a human can be...I got her to try the ones for babies that have zinc oxide, they are safe. Some of the other ingredients actually can cause cells to alter to a cancerous state. Expect more of them to change next summer. Remember we need sun to build up our immune system, but if you can't build up 5 min at a time, take Vit D3 instead!
Cathy (your baby is so cute!)...stick with it...takes a while for NK to be our new normal. i was nauseous for a while off and on...and more fat made more trips too! Now all is good. Now, that said, give it 30 days, and then see if you need to adjust...we all have our differences and eat something "off" from others!
Buffy, Vitamin C is a miracle for everyone. But you need to take in doses of 1000 at a time, the body can't absorb more easy ingested. I take three times a day, and when I feel a bug coming on I go to 6000 a day, and I never really get sick anymore. Some tolerance for higher doses is needed if it causes stomach distress; but 1000x3xday is good. We have some very exciting clinical trials going on now with Vit C....for cancer therapy. It wipes out those cells. It's not oral tabs, but IV Absorbic Acid high dose therapy. More to come as the studies release data. But we must add Vit C to our diets, our foods aren't reliable anymore....and your body cannot produce it. It is so vital to our immune system and bone density protection too!
Hi Linda! glad you de-lurked to join us!
Nicki, that avocado is a great source! and good with almost everything!
Hi drj, I think you are correct, LC makes it a different game. Vit/Supplements are very personal, each of us requires and processes them differently; and we must know the adverse reactions to any medications we take with those too.
Shelley, isn't it fun when DH has to stop and you don't??? I love it! He doesn't! so I told him to increase his Brazil nuts to 3 a day and it helps that issue a lot.
Cathy, love your food pics! I have cold hands and feet, but it seems to be worse this cold snap than before. I would keep track of when it happens, what are the symptoms, and how bad it bothers you. Many women have this problem after "aging" sets in....30+. Don't totally ignore, issues must be addresses if new and sudden.
Shelley, you are correct on our favorite CoQ10. It's a wonder for the heart/circulatory system. Kristn is correct and she is an expert on thyroid issues!
Old 11-17-2012, 06:02 AM   #484
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
No signs of hives nor wheezing last night. Here's hoping it was all just some fluke thing and nothing that could be serious down the road!

I don't think this is the right time for NK for me. Or my body doesn't like it. I'm not sure what the deal is, but when I've eaten this way before (never called it NK, just stayed super low in carbs and high in fat), it's been very successful for me. However, I did it for a few weeks here (most of October), and, aside from the initial glycogen store/water depletion in the first 1-2 weeks, I got nothin'. Now, I know I've explained I'm being much more lax. Yesterday, I had another candy binge (3 Ferrero Rocher chocolate hazelnut thingies and 2 York peppermint patties), and I had a teriyaki glazed steak for dinner (don't even want to imagine how much sugar was in that, as I'm sure it's more than one would think!). I stepped on the scale this morning expecting to welcome the 200s back into my life, and saw 198, a new low this time around. I'm sure this won't last forever, being able to eat like this and still not gain, but until my body figures out what it's doing, I'm just going to go with the flow. I assume hormones are at play, being less than a year after having a baby and currently starting my TOM. One thing I haven't considered before is that I'd always been on hormonal birth control before Mr. Baby ever since I was 16 years old (for medical reasons), but I haven't been on any at all since he was born, so there's another hormonal wildcard tossed into the mix. I will say I'm absolutely not complaining about the weight loss but it's frustrating to not know what is working or why exactly to know what to try in the future, as I'm positive the next 48 pounds won't just drop off easily and consistently
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Hi Jilly. I had two very allergic babies, and I am a former "bubble baby" allergic to 90% of the world around me. 9 years of allergy shots has kept me "normal"; and taking 250mg benadryl a day, for life. My DD1 had the same reaction her first ear infection, same med, and she was about 9-10 months old I think. We kept her on the benadryl for three weeks, and tapered the dosage. it's not usually effective to have babies allergy tested. DD1 had red hives off and on for about a month. Drove me nuts. Both were asthmatics as well, one from two weeks of age, the other started at six months. Bendryl could make his sinuses dry, and he could be thirsty, that may be part of the funky breathing patterns. Go with your "mommy gut", you know your baby. LOL for the fair skin! My BBF is as pink/white as I think a human can be...I got her to try the ones for babies that have zinc oxide, they are safe. Some of the other ingredients actually can cause cells to alter to a cancerous state. Expect more of them to change next summer. Remember we need sun to build up our immune system, but if you can't build up 5 min at a time, take Vit D3 instead!
Dry sinuses is something the doc mentioned, too, and aid to use a humidifier if we have one. Luckily, we didn't give him any Benadryl after yesterday morning, and he had a successfully normal night last night. I'm so sorry you and and your babies have had to deal with so much! I've never had any allergies except for my very severe reaction to NSAIDs, which is an allergen that's pretty easy to avoid, luckily.
I bought some sunscreen for M. Baby earlier this year, but I chickened out out. He was mostly in his stroller, so covered, but when I had him in the carrier on my chest, I had a little hat on him and kept trying to shade him with my arms. Ended up with sunburn on my own arms I actually take 50,000 IUs of vitamin D3 daily, so I'm good there
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)
Old 11-17-2012, 06:24 AM   #485
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Beachy
Stats: 226.5/166/145
WOE: LC/MP/HF (NK)
Start Date: July, 29, 2012
Hi everyone,

I have been lurking for a month or so, and thought it was time for me to register and join y'all.

My Story --

I have always struggled with my weight. When I was younger though, I could keep it somewhat under control with lots of exercise. It wasn't unusual for me to workout 3 hours a day. Well, obviously, that was a pace I could not keep up. As my workouts slowed down, my weight went up. Before I knew it, I was at 200+ pounds. I stayed in that range for over a decade. Then I got serious about losing weight. I did Weight Watchers. I worked out. I trained for and completed a half marathon, but nothing changed --except my weight. It was going up. This past May I was feeling terrible and decided it was time to get serious and lose this weight once and for all. My oldest daughter (13) and I signed up for karate classes beginning the following month. Around mid-June, I also added in CrossFit. I ate "clean" including lots of "healthy, whole grains" to my diet. I did this for 6 weeks. I was tired all the time and constantly sore AND I was gaining weight. I felt like a complete and total failure. It seemed so easy for everyone else, but I knew I couldn't continue living the way I was living. However, I didn't know what to change. I was doing everything I was supposed to be doing, and I wasn't cheating. Yet, I was at my heaviest weight ever.

Then one day, I was on a homeschooling message board I frequent, and I read a post that I could've written. Her story was so much like mine, but with a better ending. This woman was eating LCHF and lost weight. Then others started to chime in about how great it was and how good they felt, and I decided -- why not? I had nothing to lose. So, the next morning I said a quick prayer asking God to protect me (and my health) from what I was about to do, and I fried up some bacon and eggs (including the yolks), and I ate it. I hadn't had bacon in 25 years and I think I heard angels singing when I ate that first slice. Man! Was it good. I also enjoyed burgers w/o the bun and salads with cheese and full fat dressing. I was enjoying food again. Within days, the withdrawals from carbs and sugar set in mainly in the form of a killer headache. However, the fatigue and soreness were gone. I stuck it out and came through the other side feeling great.

I haven't really followed any set plan. I have just tried to cut out sugar and get my carbs from veggies, and I have not tracked my food. I have had a few "cheats" but have quickly gotten back on the wagon. Now though, our homeschool co-op is finished for the semester, so I have a bit more time, and I am wanting to really concentrate on this. I have the Volek/Phinney book and hope to start reading it this weekend. I am still losing weight fumbling along like I am, but would love to jump start things. I am sure my protein is too high, but I hope that overall the adjustment isn't too hard for me since I am already LCHF. I know tracking and recording my food will be a challenge, but I hope to do it long enough to understand what I should be eating and how much. My biggest challenge will be eating out. My dh loves to eat lunch out. I think I've made good choices, but of course, don't know exactly what the numbers are, etc.

Anyway, sorry this first post is so long. If you made it this far, thanks, and I promise not all my posts are this wordy. Another plus..... is the cool name this WOE has. LOL!!! LCHF just isn't a cool sounding name -- like Paleo or Primal. Now I will sound very scientific when I tell people what kind of eating plan use, and people are starting to ask. LOL!!

Have a great weekend.

Beachy

Last edited by Just Beachy; 11-17-2012 at 06:28 AM..
Old 11-17-2012, 06:41 AM   #486
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
No signs of hives nor wheezing last night. Here's hoping it was all just some fluke thing and nothing that could be serious down the road!

I don't think this is the right time for NK for me. Or my body doesn't like it. I'm not sure what the deal is, but when I've eaten this way before (never called it NK, just stayed super low in carbs and high in fat), it's been very successful for me. However, I did it for a few weeks here (most of October), and, aside from the initial glycogen store/water depletion in the first 1-2 weeks, I got nothin'. Now, I know I've explained I'm being much more lax. Yesterday, I had another candy binge (3 Ferrero Rocher chocolate hazelnut thingies and 2 York peppermint patties), and I had a teriyaki glazed steak for dinner (don't even want to imagine how much sugar was in that, as I'm sure it's more than one would think!). I stepped on the scale this morning expecting to welcome the 200s back into my life, and saw 198, a new low this time around. I'm sure this won't last forever, being able to eat like this and still not gain, but until my body figures out what it's doing, I'm just going to go with the flow. I assume hormones are at play, being less than a year after having a baby and currently starting my TOM. One thing I haven't considered before is that I'd always been on hormonal birth control before Mr. Baby ever since I was 16 years old (for medical reasons), but I haven't been on any at all since he was born, so there's another hormonal wildcard tossed into the mix. I will say I'm absolutely not complaining about the weight loss but it's frustrating to not know what is working or why exactly to know what to try in the future, as I'm positive the next 48 pounds won't just drop off easily and consistently

Dry sinuses is something the doc mentioned, too, and aid to use a humidifier if we have one. Luckily, we didn't give him any Benadryl after yesterday morning, and he had a successfully normal night last night. I'm so sorry you and and your babies have had to deal with so much! I've never had any allergies except for my very severe reaction to NSAIDs, which is an allergen that's pretty easy to avoid, luckily.
I bought some sunscreen for M. Baby earlier this year, but I chickened out out. He was mostly in his stroller, so covered, but when I had him in the carrier on my chest, I had a little hat on him and kept trying to shade him with my arms. Ended up with sunburn on my own arms I actually take 50,000 IUs of vitamin D3 daily, so I'm good there
Hi Jilly....you know, I wonder if your issues are not directly due to bariatric surgery changing your processing/digestion/etc. It is such a major change in a body. Relatively "new" to healthcare as well. You just need to do what works for you and makes you happy/healthy! We had humidifiers in both rooms, cleaned with vinegar every other day, for 10 years! I never thought it was such a big deal, I thought they were so lucky for not being me! They were exposed to dirt, leaves, dogs, cats, and I refused to dust but once a week. this was all on recommendation of allergist. they must be exposed early in life to anything that could become allergy...that way they build up tolerance naturally and don't respond when suddenly exposed. Now they still have some seasonal allergies, and each has one drug allergy...but they are in excellent health and great girls. CT
Old 11-17-2012, 06:48 AM   #487
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Beachy View Post
Hi everyone,

I have been lurking for a month or so, and thought it was time for me to register and join y'all.

My Story --

I have always struggled with my weight. When I was younger though, I could keep it somewhat under control with lots of exercise. It wasn't unusual for me to workout 3 hours a day. Well, obviously, that was a pace I could not keep up. As my workouts slowed down, my weight went up. Before I knew it, I was at 200+ pounds. I stayed in that range for over a decade. Then I got serious about losing weight. I did Weight Watchers. I worked out. I trained for and completed a half marathon, but nothing changed --except my weight. It was going up. This past May I was feeling terrible and decided it was time to get serious and lose this weight once and for all. My oldest daughter (13) and I signed up for karate classes beginning the following month. Around mid-June, I also added in CrossFit. I ate "clean" including lots of "healthy, whole grains" to my diet. I did this for 6 weeks. I was tired all the time and constantly sore AND I was gaining weight. I felt like a complete and total failure. It seemed so easy for everyone else, but I knew I couldn't continue living the way I was living. However, I didn't know what to change. I was doing everything I was supposed to be doing, and I wasn't cheating. Yet, I was at my heaviest weight ever.

Then one day, I was on a homeschooling message board I frequent, and I read a post that I could've written. Her story was so much like mine, but with a better ending. This woman was eating LCHF and lost weight. Then others started to chime in about how great it was and how good they felt, and I decided -- why not? I had nothing to lose. So, the next morning I said a quick prayer asking God to protect me (and my health) from what I was about to do, and I fried up some bacon and eggs (including the yolks), and I ate it. I hadn't had bacon in 25 years and I think I heard angels singing when I ate that first slice. Man! Was it good. I also enjoyed burgers w/o the bun and salads with cheese and full fat dressing. I was enjoying food again. Within days, the withdrawals from carbs and sugar set in mainly in the form of a killer headache. However, the fatigue and soreness were gone. I stuck it out and came through the other side feeling great.

I haven't really followed any set plan. I have just tried to cut out sugar and get my carbs from veggies, and I have not tracked my food. I have had a few "cheats" but have quickly gotten back on the wagon. Now though, our homeschool co-op is finished for the semester, so I have a bit more time, and I am wanting to really concentrate on this. I have the Volek/Phinney book and hope to start reading it this weekend. I am still losing weight fumbling along like I am, but would love to jump start things. I am sure my protein is too high, but I hope that overall the adjustment isn't too hard for me since I am already LCHF. I know tracking and recording my food will be a challenge, but I hope to do it long enough to understand what I should be eating and how much. My biggest challenge will be eating out. My dh loves to eat lunch out. I think I've made good choices, but of course, don't know exactly what the numbers are, etc.

Anyway, sorry this first post is so long. If you made it this far, thanks, and I promise not all my posts are this wordy. Another plus..... is the cool name this WOE has. LOL!!! LCHF just isn't a cool sounding name -- like Paleo or Primal. Now I will sound very scientific when I tell people what kind of eating plan use, and people are starting to ask. LOL!!

Have a great weekend.

Beachy

WELCOME Beachy! Darin (Red) can assist with your macros, and his post in the beginning of Oct and Nov threads are a great "get started". I used to be addicted to exercise in my late 20s, and 30s....but realized the toll it took on my body, time, and didn't do a thing but make me eat more. so moderate exercise came in at that point. I lift a weight or two now and then, and know that is on my list to increase at my age, 51...but it really hasn't hit an important level yet. We have all struggled with "is this the right thing"...I was severely brain-washed at a very young age, had severe issues with eating, but found LC and lost over 60lbs...that was a long time ago. Then LC didn't work well to maintain and finally get to goal at 120. So, I came here. You will find great friends to help you through this, and some day are bumpy and some days we aren't perfect.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:48 AM   #488
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Welcome beachy you are in the right place!!your post made me laugh.about the bacon,I to was like you tired feeling sick all the time,but now I'm full of engery!you need to read all the post so much info.when people ask what you are doing tell them you give up sugar,and white things.i use coconut oil ever day,it is my diet pill.it does not cause cholesterol to go up mine dropped from 340-192 if you need us were here.our Red is full of info and he can do your # for you.to tell how protein you need.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:52 AM   #489
Major LCF Poster!

Beachy! I'm glad that you have the book--I've been rereading the Performance book and there's so much great information there.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:05 AM   #490
Major LCF Poster!

Jilly--LC and NK aren't right for everyone. Those of us who have had success using these strategies sometimes have a hard time seeing that. It may be that more of a Weight Watchers type of plan (where you can eat everything as long as you count points/calories) or even something entirely different would work better for you?

Weight loss, maintenance, and health depend on so many different variables and we all have our own individual genetics, hormones, and life circumstances that play into it. Experiment to find what works for you and then stick to it and you will have success!
Old 11-17-2012, 08:27 AM   #491
Major LCF Poster!

Jimmy Moore's NK Posts

Did people see Jimmy Moore's updates on his NK experiment? He had one for day 151-180 and DXA scan update. Over a 2 month period he lost 16 pounds of fat and gained 6 pounds of muscle on NK. I was interested to see that he did this while eating 80-90g protein/day (at over 6' tall). This would be low with some of the calculations for protein that people are using, but it certainly worked for him. I truly think that for many of us who have been stalled on regular LC getting one's protein at the correct level to get into NK can be tricky.

I also think it's interesting that his weight loss hasn't gone exactly in a straight line (like many of us) but has shown a consistent downward trend--sometimes losing a lot, sometimes hardly anything, and a few gains.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #492
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Beachy View Post
Hi everyone,

My Story --

Have a great weekend.

Beachy
Great post....I loved the bacon part.....and you are not alone there. I think of that every single day that I eat "fat bombs" or "cream cheese clouds" and think...this can't be healthy! ha ha

You'll find lots of great information here. Glad this way of eating is working so well for you!
Old 11-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #493
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tablis
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Did people see Jimmy Moore's updates on his NK experiment? He had one for day 151-180 and DXA scan update. Over a 2 month period he lost 16 pounds of fat and gained 6 pounds of muscle on NK. I was interested to see that he did this while eating 80-90g protein/day (at over 6' tall). This would be low with some of the calculations for protein that people are using, but it certainly worked for him. I truly think that for many of us who have been stalled on regular LC getting one's protein at the correct level to get into NK can be tricky.

I also think it's interesting that his weight loss hasn't gone exactly in a straight line (like many of us) but has shown a consistent downward trend--sometimes losing a lot, sometimes hardly anything, and a few gains.
Thanks for posting this - i haven't seen it yet! Very encouraging
Old 11-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #494
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Beachy! Glad you quit lurking and joined in. What you are doing seems to be working for you, and may be all you need to do, some have turned to NK b/c they hit a wall and couldn't lose. If you are still losing just by cutting back on carbs, you might want to just continue, you don't have to take the time to log, etc. Then, if and when, you hit a stall, think of doing it more our way. Or, certainly feel free to jump in full force and do NK now, it kind of seems to me that this is the "newer" way of doing LC. Especially the modified protein.

Thanks Kristn, I will go over and look at Jimmy's site for his update. Love reading them.

Jilly, glad to hear our baby boy is better.

SG, can you suggest a particular kind of Vit C or are most of them the same? I did see your recommendation as to dosage. Will probably run by Sam's club to check it out, their prices and barrell size bottles of supplements are usually a great buy.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:35 AM   #495
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Welcome beachy you are in the right place!!your post made me laugh.about the bacon,I to was like you tired feeling sick all the time,but now I'm full of engery!you need to read all the post so much info.when people ask what you are doing tell them you give up sugar,and white things.i use coconut oil ever day,it is my diet pill.it does not cause cholesterol to go up mine dropped from 340-192 if you need us were here.our Red is full of info and he can do your # for you.to tell how protein you need.
Glad you posted this and mentioned that your cholestorol has dropped with the CO.

Beachy- I totally relate! When I first started LCing many years ago... I can't remember exactly when that was but in the area of 15-16 yrs ago I was petrified to go back to eating the chicken skin, having more than 3 tsps of fat, nuts and all the great atkins stuff! So I went in whole hog to see what would happen and took a blood test a month in and everything was fine. My numbers had been ok before hand though.
My husband on the other hand had terrible #'s and the dr. wanted to put him on meds. We decided to do a 2 week induction to see what would happen for him- I was really scared bc he couldn't afford to go up at all- anyway his numbers improved drastically in two weeks and we never filled the prescriptions. He lost tons of weight in no time. (I wish I could say it stayed off and all was smooth sailing from them but alas he and I continue to struggle with this
In any case, as I just started with CO recently I have been having that anxiety again hoping its not going to mess with my numbers. Although I have gained back the weight my numbers have stayed in the healthy range.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #496
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: edgemont
Stats: 210/181/150?
WOE: lcHFmp Primal
Hello, Everyone!

OK, I'm changing my status from lurker to poster! I've been following for a few weeks now and finally took the time to register today. I follow a number of blogs, listen to a few podcasts, and have been reading a bunch of books on the subject and it's nice to find a group of people who talk the same language here!

I'll spare you most of the boring details of my life for now, but suffice to say my only health issues have been cholesterol and weight (gained and lost more times than I can recall). Not on any drugs, and no "discomfort" complaints that lead me to this WOE. A useful set of highlights: Had first and only child at 43 and topped out at 280. Lost the 60 lbs from pregnancy in first 2 yrs, then did Flat Belly Diet, 6 hrs cardio/wk, weights 2-3 hrs/wk to get to 148. Then got great new job that I love, but for first 2 yrs I ended up working 24/7 (nearly literally!) and gained back 60 lbs. Work finally at manageable level and able to make a bit of time for me starting in May.

Started with Wheat Belly (everyone should read this). Completely spoke to me! Made drastic changes the day I bought the book. Felt great and lost cravings (no one more surprised than me), but no big weight loss. Researched more on web and found Jimmy Moore, Robb Wolf, Peter Attia, Chris Kresser, Dr. Cate and so many more! And through them I found others and an incredible amount of helpful information. Favorite books: Cate Shanahan's Deep Nutrition, Diane Sanfilippo's Practical Paleo (might be most comprehensive book on the subject), Fred Hahn's Slow Burn Fitness Revolution (more on this later), Both of Volek and Phinney's Art and Science books, and a few great cook books! And I found all of you! (Actually, Rebecca, I found your site ages ago and your Fat Bomb recipe was the saving grace for helping get my fat grams up! I make it almost every week. Thank you!!) I started more Primal/Lowcarb eating about end of July and that's when I started to lose.

I've done ok but had a long period of staying the same weight or just going up and down a few pounds even though I've been perfect. (Only cheats are with wine, and only about once a month or so since it stalls me out.) Started testing ketones and glucose (Precision Xtra) about 2 weeks ago. Low 80's consistently with glucose, and 0.8-1.0 in morning with ketones (too expensive to test at night too, so since AM readings are supposed to be lower, I'm happy if I'm in the range with that test.)

I suspected I was gaining muscle/lean body weight, and losing fat but not seeing it on the scale, so was SOOOO excited to see Jimmy's DXA results this week. I've been trying to keep my percentages fairly close to his, and I'm pretty sure he's been doing Slow Burn too (I've been doing it twice a week now, 30 minutes each with a personal trainer since Sept.) I've gone from size 18W to 14 so I know somethings working, just not seeing it on scale.

The other thing he said in his recent posts that spoke to me was about eating twice per day. So starting Tuesday morning I switched to only eating Breakfast and Dinner, same 1300ish calories/day, same 18-27 grams of carbs/day, same 56-75 grams of protein/day, and same 100-125 grams of fat/day. Drum roll please....in 4 days I've lost about 4 lbs!! Can't believe it!

Guess I'll shut up now. I've got to go shopping. (We have the BEST food co-op where I live for grass-fed and pastured meats/poultry, fresh veggies, and such.) I only need to go the the national chain store for toiletries, etc.

I look forward to getting to know all of you and learning from you. Not sure I'll always have as much time to write as I've had today (6 1/2 year old daughter, FT job, husband, house that can't clean itself, the basics that keep us ALL from getting enough sleep). Thanks for being so encouraging to lurkers to start posting with you.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #497
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Wow edgemont,welcome a great story!!i have learned so much here!Lots of time and research put in here also!the the only thing here is to lose weight for ever!welcome!!
Old 11-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #498
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nisha2003
Stats: 285/205/145
WOE: Atkins/Paleo-Primal/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Avocado salad... I have this and don't eat (or even think about eating) for another good 8 or 9 hours.
Thats a beautiful salad!
Old 11-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #499
Senior LCF Member

Wow-
really interesting discussion about the supplements... thanks all.
I definately know that when you are on a ketogenetic diet the regular rules don't appy.

Trying to navigate through this. here are some more things I'm thinking about - would love some input.

1)my vit d is superlow. has been for ages so are my kids. dr. told me to supplement with 400 iu /day and we've all done that for quite awhile and it hasn't done anything. I read quite a bit both in favor and against higher doses and I have upped us all up to 1000 IU.
But now I'm reading the kind of doses you guys are taking and wonder if that's enough.
My ins only covers a D blood test once in six months we are all up for another one in a couple of months. How did you guys figure out how much is enough? How do you take it- all at once? throughout the day? does anyone have a specific brand that they know works?

2) Potassium- I bought solgar potassium but I didn't take it yet. I have suffered from occaisional dizzy spells on and off over the years when I was in ketosis. Mostly when getting out of bed or when rolling over in the middle of the night. Haven't had if for awhile. I had 2-3 crazy vertigo incidents that lasted about 30 hrs. They were about a year apart. they were all when I was in ketosis, All resolved themselves. Was diagnosed as Benign positional vertigo (but that was kind of a process of elimination diagnoses so it could have been a potassium thing.) Another interesting thing is that I think I was taking advair at the time of each incident which i just read can cause lowering of the potassium levels. (I have seasonal asthma and take advair for a couple of weeks 2-3 times a year otherwise I am on no meds) I did a ton of tests including an EKG and 24 halter test and they didn't find anything. I've looked through my standard blood results over the years and all my potassium results were in normal range. But I never recorded exactly what I was eating at the time of the blood tests or if I was on advair at the time.. so now I'm not really sure what to do. I'm leaning towards just taking one 99 mg tablet once a day... hard to know if its doing anything bc I have no problem right now. anyway should it be am or pm?
3) vitamin c. I take it on and off. Now i'm taking 1000 mg it says its from rose hips i think. my atkins 1993 recommended it for constipation - he also recommends psyillium husks which i stopped taking. What do you guys take vitamin C for and how did you get to those dosage numbers? How do I know how much to take.

So I don't want to overtax my kidneys (or my wallet lol) but I do want to take what I need to make this thing work.
All together I'm taking 1000 IU Vit D, 1000 mg Vit C, 200 mg magnesium citrate am and 400 pm which I might up to 600 pm, and I also take B12 shots every 3 weeks. (another story but this post is way to long already- sorry for that )
I'm thinking about adding the potassium.

Also, when I got to my goal weight with atkins in the past I was taking other things he recommended but of course I didn't keep a record of what worked etc. but i know that I was using L-carnitine, CoQ10 and chromium picolinate for some time. Any thoughts on which of those are worthwhile?
Old 11-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #500
Big Yapper!!!!

Edgemont, thanks for de-lurking. Sounds like you have a wealth of info to share with us.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #501
Senior LCF Member

Welcome Edgemont!
Old 11-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #502
Big Yapper!!!!

Tablis, I tested low for Vit D so my doctor recommended 2000 per day, then still tested low so he suggested I double that. On 4000, to 5000 daily now, depending on which brand I buy and I buy the D3. I test normal on that dosage.

I have read that 800 mag is the optimal, not to go over that. I am on 800 now, worked up to that.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #503
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nisha2003
Stats: 285/205/145
WOE: Atkins/Paleo-Primal/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 2009
Edgemont!
Old 11-17-2012, 10:44 AM   #504
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Tablis, I tested low for Vit D so my doctor recommended 2000 per day, then still tested low so he suggested I double that. On 4000, to 5000 daily now, depending on which brand I buy and I buy the D3. I test normal on that dosage.

I have read that 800 mag is the optimal, not to go over that. I am on 800 now, worked up to that.
Thanks Buffy. How long should I allow myself to work up to 800?
It hasn't been that long. Nothing great on the constipation front yet but
I think its helping the leg cramps.

Do you remember how long it took you to get your D level up?
Old 11-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #505
Big Yapper!!!!

Work up slowly on the mag, my tablets are 100mg each, so each week I would just add another 100, it bothers some people but not all.

On the D3, my doctor does my blood work every 3-4 months since I am diabetic, so I really don't know how long it took, by the first test it was still too low, by the 2nd test, on 4000, it tested fine.

SG is really knowledgeble about the supplements, she will hopefully chime in here.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #506
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgemont View Post
OK, I'm changing my status from lurker to poster! I've been following for a few weeks now and finally took the time to register today. I follow a number of blogs, listen to a few podcasts, and have been reading a bunch of books on the subject and it's nice to find a group of people who talk the same language here!
edgemont!

Quote:
I've done ok but had a long period of staying the same weight or just going up and down a few pounds even though I've been perfect. (Only cheats are with wine, and only about once a month or so since it stalls me out.) Started testing ketones and glucose (Precision Xtra) about 2 weeks ago. Low 80's consistently with glucose, and 0.8-1.0 in morning with ketones (too expensive to test at night too, so since AM readings are supposed to be lower, I'm happy if I'm in the range with that test.)

I suspected I was gaining muscle/lean body weight, and losing fat but not seeing it on the scale, so was SOOOO excited to see Jimmy's DXA results this week. I've been trying to keep my percentages fairly close to his, and I'm pretty sure he's been doing Slow Burn too (I've been doing it twice a week now, 30 minutes each with a personal trainer since Sept.) I've gone from size 18W to 14 so I know somethings working, just not seeing it on scale.

The other thing he said in his recent posts that spoke to me was about eating twice per day. So starting Tuesday morning I switched to only eating Breakfast and Dinner, same 1300ish calories/day, same 18-27 grams of carbs/day, same 56-75 grams of protein/day, and same 100-125 grams of fat/day. Drum roll please....in 4 days I've lost about 4 lbs!! Can't believe it!
Congratulations on your success!!
Old 11-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #507
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablis View Post
1)my vit d is superlow. has been for ages so are my kids. dr. told me to supplement with 400 iu /day and we've all done that for quite awhile and it hasn't done anything. I read quite a bit both in favor and against higher doses and I have upped us all up to 1000 IU.
But now I'm reading the kind of doses you guys are taking and wonder if that's enough.
My ins only covers a D blood test once in six months we are all up for another one in a couple of months. How did you guys figure out how much is enough? How do you take it- all at once? throughout the day? does anyone have a specific brand that they know works?
If you are super low 400iu or even 1000 iu is probably not going to be enough to get your levels up. A lot depends on where you live and how much sun exposure you get. Testing is the best way to know if you are taking enough or too much. I've also read that it's best to take D in the morning (it can interfere with your sleep if you take it later in the day), it should definitely be D3, and in the soft gel form.

Living in the Pacific NW we are particularly vulnerable to this and the minimum that DH and I take is 2000iu. We try to get tested every 6 months or so and both of our last tests were in a good range.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #508
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lianora Mosswood
Stats: 165/121/115 5'3" 54 yrs
WOE: locarb primal juddd
Start Date: January 2011
New lurky member ready to de-lurk!

Can I join your thread? I am really interested in the ideas behind nutritional ketosis and I'm ready to recommit to weight loss and get to goal.

I have had good loss using Atkins, Atkins Primal-style and calorie cycling over since February 2011. I started at 165 and reached a low weight of 119 in June of this year. My loss had slowed to a crawl--it took over 6 months to lose 10 lbs, and I was going from one plan to another trying to figure out how to break the stall or speed things up. (I guess that is a hazard of the internet age and too much info available!). I was diet weary and decided to take a break and see if I could maintain based on the things I learned. Well. . . last week I weighed in at 128 Time to get back on plan!

I started back with Atkins '72 2 weeks ago and am ready to move on. I lost 3 lbs, I know mostly water, because I can tell by how de-puffed I am. I also got back into the habit of food logging and not making exceptions for candy, any candy, my biggest problem food. Now I'm ready to work towards my goal again.

I'm 54, 5'3", small frame, currently 124.4. I'd really like to see 115, maybe even 110. My adult weight has ranged from 110 - 180, hovering around 135 most of the time.

I've been soaking up the info in the NK threads and look forward to learning from you all.

~ birdie
Old 11-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #509
Major LCF Poster!

birdie! Congratulations on your losses so far!
Old 11-17-2012, 04:17 PM   #510
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
I'm having a bit of a freak-out here...I went out for chinese food with my family and I'm having a hard time figuring out my calories/carbs. I had egg fu yung with chicken, and wonton soup, and the information on the 'net about the macros is all over the place. I'm either really high or just barely ok. This is why I try to avoid eating at restaurants.

OTOH, when I came home from said chinese restaurant, my new novamax was waiting for me, so I ripped it open and did my first test. 1.9, at 3:30 p.m. after eating chinese food an hour before. So...not sure what that means, but for now I think I'm ok. I may wait a day before doing another test since I'm assuming tomorrow morning will be low on the ketones.
Closed Thread