Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 05:34 PM   #451
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Cathy- yumm...what's in your avocado salad?

Well- I focused on eating a lot of fat and more protein today and tried to keep off the carbs altogether. I'm gonna try this for a few days, hoping it will get my appetite on track. I still ate too much of everything, but at least it wasn't too many carbs. Maybe I'll get sick of so much eventually...

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #452
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Thanks for the reminder. I have been taking 2000 IUs of vitamin D forever and I usually up it in the winter, I'm going to double my dosage tomorrow. I have been tested and my levels were excellent (especially given that I live so far North). I try to get as much sun as possible, but given where I live it's really hard. My goal is to go to the tanning bed 2x/week. I know the risks, but it really helps me make it through the winter here.
I am taking 5000 IU right now, and increased Vit C to 1000x3 morning, noon, evening. we have sun, but it's cold for us, quick swings in the temp, like 40 degrees make me miserable. I have considered the sun bed myself recently, I am used to getting my natural free sun daily, and I think this is why I am extra tired recently. I don't do sunscreen, dangerous stuff, and I never burn. It's all about building up the time for the best benefits!
Old 11-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #453
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablis View Post
Hi all,
Still on plan. I bounced up again today which is a little disconcerting but I will keep at it.
I've been taking the Magnesium Citrate and still not feeling the effects. I started with 200. Then 200 am and another PM and still nothing. Now I guess I'll try to move up to 400 at night and 200 in the morning.. hope it works soon.
I was really tempted to take a few TBS of Wheat bran or psyillium husks bc that's what I have done in the past- I believe psyillium husks is recommended by atkins himself -but after reading negative things about it I'm really confused so I hope the mag kicks in soon.
Btw- I went to get some potassium and the pharmacist told me (unsolicited advice) that potassium is notoriously bad for kidneys and I shouldn't take it long term... thoughts?
If you are suffering with potty issues, forgive me for not remembering, I am running on air right now...get some of the mag oxide and take in the evening. Magnesium is very heart healthy, but the oxide doesn't absorb, it's a pure form, therefore, it rushes through you! If you are concerned about taking the potassium, talk to your health care professional. I do not consume enough foods to omit that supplement, and too much of anything can cause long-term organ issues. I would add that the PharmD should warn you of the dangers of the meds in his shop to your kidneys too!
Old 11-15-2012, 09:38 PM   #454
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tablis
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by omatic View Post
My magnesium malate program (for my migraines) is 200mg at breakfast, 200mg after lunch and 500mg at bed time. MCT oil will also get things going for me if I take it on the empty stomach. I read somewhere recently that the constipation issue from the "atkins" style of eating is due to the loss of salt which influences the GI tracts water balance. The salt reduction is from eating less processed food which contain a lot of salt. More salt for you?
I think I eat tons of salt but I will eat me and I guess up the magnesium a bit more.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:40 PM   #455
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tablis
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
If you are suffering with potty issues, forgive me for not remembering, I am running on air right now...get some of the mag oxide and take in the evening. Magnesium is very heart healthy, but the oxide doesn't absorb, it's a pure form, therefore, it rushes through you! If you are concerned about taking the potassium, talk to your health care professional. I do not consume enough foods to omit that supplement, and too much of anything can cause long-term organ issues. I would add that the PharmD should warn you of the dangers of the meds in his shop to your kidneys too!
tx
Old 11-16-2012, 05:02 AM   #456
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
*sigh* Mr. Baby woke up around 11pm last night and then just before 6am this morning with funny-sounding breathing. I wouldn't call it wheezing, as it didn't sound like there was any fluid at all, but definitely not normal. We gave him Bendryl both times, and he seemed fine otherwise (except he didn't want to be awake at 11pm!), and he went back to sleep okay. He never cried or anything, and he only appeared to have one welt/hive the first time, none this morning. This is so frustrating. Our pediatrician didn't recommend an allergist since they assumed it was the amoxicillin, but I'm calling someone today because I was up another 4 times overnight after the first time he woke up just checking to make sure he was still breathing. Hives are one thing, but audible inhaling is too concerning for me to just sit back and try to figure out what he's reacting to.

I'm trying so hard to stay low in carbs. I can feel myself getting tired and even more lax, thinking hings like, "Oh, one eggroll won't hurt..." I've been okay so far, but I did eat some Cool Whip right out of the tub yesterday (which made me feel like crap afterwards). Drinking my morning protein shake now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by catjrow3 View Post
Thank you Jilly. Yesterday I did it one hour after eating or so (just had gotten the meter) and it was 119 so I guess that should have been okay too? I will hope for lower numbers fasting.. I want low ones!! My mom was 113 fasting... I think she is really prediabetic! She is pretty overweight and has high blood pressure, eats like crap!!
113 fasting is definitely concerning! 119 at an hour post-prandial is considered normal, as a healthy individual will see their highest peak in that first hour. It's all so much - when I was first diagnosed with my type 2, I was testing MANY times a day to try to figure out my patterns and what foods affected me more than others. Too many finger sticks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
I am taking 5000 IU right now, and increased Vit C to 1000x3 morning, noon, evening. we have sun, but it's cold for us, quick swings in the temp, like 40 degrees make me miserable. I have considered the sun bed myself recently, I am used to getting my natural free sun daily, and I think this is why I am extra tired recently. I don't do sunscreen, dangerous stuff, and I never burn. It's all about building up the time for the best benefits!
I do sunscreen. I'm super fair (my college roommates jokingly called me translucent), and I literally start to burn in mere minutes in the sun. I have no such option as "tan." My skin goes from white to red to pink to white. Lather, rinse, repeat. Though I have also been burned to the point of purple skin as well. So, sunscreen it is. Six of one, half a dozen of the other! When I can, I just stay covered up as much as possible, but when it's 90+ and humid, the long sleeves are the first to go :P
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)
Old 11-16-2012, 06:23 AM   #457
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Good morning everyone! My ketones seem to be inching back up (.8 this morning). I think TOM combined with the darker days just knocked me right out. We'll see how upping the D3 affects the ketones also. I should probably get tested again soon.

I've been super busy at work so I am really looking forward to this weekend and then 4 days off next weekend.

jillybean720--so sorry to hear about Mr. Baby's breathing issues. Hopefully you'll get this all figured out soon!
Old 11-16-2012, 07:02 AM   #458
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catjrow3
Stats: 240/177/150
WOE: NK - LCHF
Start Date: 05/18/2013 (restart of course)
Jilly - sorry the baby is not feeling well. Hope he improves..

Thanks for the information on the testing! I am concerned about my mom, but she will not do anything until its too late and she has diabetes!

I have a hard time with all the fat... Its not playing nice with my tummy/intestines either...definitely no need for mag here! UGH! I have not tested my ketones again, probably still not back in, and my fasting glucose this morning was 81.. so I think thats good..

My weight, bounced back up again today!! lordy... I wish I had a pop up button that said ... you are doing the right diet/right things, continue... so I did not always feel like I am failing at every "diet" I try. This one is not calorie restrictive as much, but very limiting in food.. (no fruit, no breads/carbs, little veges) that I am not sure it can be a lifestyle for me... (okay done whining!) LOL

Hope everyone has a great Friday!
Old 11-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #459
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Morning! Happy to see a new low on my scale this AM, 192.4!! oz, by oz, then a bounce!

Jilly, let us know what you find out on our group baby, we are all falling in love with Mr. Baby you know. That is creating stress for you, plus tiredness, probably why you are having a little trouble staying LC. Carbs relieve stress, at least temporarily, that is why we crave them.

SG and Kristn, I take 5000 MG D3 too. The tests showed I was low, dr. started me out on 2000, then upped it to 4000. The last bottle I bought just happens to have 5000. SF, educate me on the advantages of taking extra Vit. C, especially now that I am not eating any fruits. Might need to add that to my bucket. I suffer from SAD but take meds for it.

Tablis, hope you get your bathroom issues figured out. I had trouble at first with that as well.

Cathy, most of us have to work up gradually on the fat, especially the CO. But, once you do, I promise you it is the best for killing your appetite. Your FG sounds great.
Simple rules: Eat your minimum protein, keep your carbs as low as possible in the first and losing phase, fill up on fat until you are satisfied. That should get you to the level of ketosis that will lower your appetite.

I am even having trouble eating enough this week, NOT HUNGRY at all. Some days I am very hungry, it comes an goes. Right now nothing even sounds good enough to bother to eat, but I know I can't fall into that trap.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #460
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gibster
Greetings, everyone! I've been reading this thread (and most of October's thread, too). I plan to start this WOE, but I want to read the book first, plus do a bit more research. I just got my meter in the mail yesterday, and more ketone strips will be arriving shortly.

I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here regarding potassium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablis View Post
Btw- I went to get some potassium and the pharmacist told me (unsolicited advice) that potassium is notoriously bad for kidneys and I shouldn't take it long term... thoughts?
A couple of years ago, I had a blood test which showed my potassium level was too low (I had been sick with the flu 3 weeks before). My doctor prescribed potassium supplements to bring the level up, which it did after a month. This doctor was ordering me to take potassium indefinitely without regard to the fact that I was also taking a potassium-sparing diuretic. So I started doing my own research and consulted the pharmacist and another doctor. (I have since "fired" the first doctor.) Anyway, low potassium can be very dangerous (affecting your heart), but so can high potassium levels. My advice would be to consult your doctor and have your potassium levels tested before you take any supplements. I wouldn't mess with this important chemical balance.

Okay - that was probably a nickel's worth - sorry.

I'll pop back in here from time to time because I'm sure I will have some questions.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:10 AM   #461
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: livinlarge
WOE: whatever works
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibster View Post
Greetings, everyone! I've been reading this thread (and most of October's thread, too). I plan to start this WOE, but I want to read the book first, plus do a bit more research. I just got my meter in the mail yesterday, and more ketone strips will be arriving shortly.

A couple of years ago, I had a blood test which showed my potassium level was too low (I had been sick with the flu 3 weeks before). My doctor prescribed potassium supplements to bring the level up, which it did after a month. This doctor was ordering me to take potassium indefinitely without regard to the fact that I was also taking a potassium-sparing diuretic. So I started doing my own research and consulted the pharmacist and another doctor. (I have since "fired" the first doctor.) Anyway, low potassium can be very dangerous (affecting your heart), but so can high potassium levels. My advice would be to consult your doctor and have your potassium levels tested before you take any supplements. I wouldn't mess with this important chemical balance.

I'll pop back in here from time to time because I'm sure I will have some questions.
I don't supplement with potassium, however I do have 1/2 avocado daily
Old 11-16-2012, 08:16 AM   #462
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibster View Post

Hi Linda and welcome to N.K. (when you are ready)!

What I would like to add to the discussion on potassium is that a lot of information is coming from the position of a standard diet (i.e. high carb) and when looked at from a low carb position a lot of the things that are 'true ' are not longer true and this is the case with potassium. The only caveat is if there is an existing kidney disorder.

Those that are consistently living in ketosis need to remember that it is a different paradigm and about 99% of the known info on just about everything is different from this vantage point.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
Old 11-16-2012, 08:48 AM   #463
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Hi Linda and welcome to N.K. (when you are ready)!

What I would like to add to the discussion on potassium is that a lot of information is coming from the position of a standard diet (i.e. high carb) and when looked at from a low carb position a lot of the things that are 'true ' are not longer true and this is the case with potassium. The only caveat is if there is an existing kidney disorder.

Those that are consistently living in ketosis need to remember that it is a different paradigm and about 99% of the known info on just about everything is different from this vantage point.
This is true for SO much of the Vitamin and mineral advice you hear. The question to ask is "Does that hold true when eating a ketogenic diet?"

It seems Vitamin C requirements are also in that category
Old 11-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #464
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
So, doc thinks Mr. Baby's wheezing and hives are unrelated since he didn't have hives WHILE he was wheezing. Likely the start of his next virus. Blah.

Turned toward McDonald's when we left the pediatrician's office, but talked myself out of it before reaching the drive-through. Now, I'm back in my office eating my chicken with marinara sauce and tons of cheese. One bite at a time...

Funny story - my throat was hurting the other night, and my husband asked if I wanted a milkshake. I said yes, of course I WANTED one, but that I would not have one because I knew it would make me feel like crap later. Then I yelled at him for being an enabler :P I know he was just trying to help because he knew I wasn't feeling well, but still.
Quote:
Agreed - I was thinking something similar when I saw discussion of Vitamin C. We need MORE vit C when eating grains because of something in the grains (don't recall the specific term off the top of my head). I've seen some people sort of freak out when I say I don't eat fruits and only a few veggies - what about vitamin C?! Truth is, you can be perfectly healthy with very little vit C when you're not eating grains.

This is not to say no one should be supplementing vit C, as, just because our bodies don't NEED something doesn't mean there aren't potential additional benefits to having it (prime example: probiotics).
Old 11-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #465
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
This is true for SO much of the Vitamin and mineral advice you hear. The question to ask is "Does that hold true when eating a ketogenic diet?"

Hi!!!! I have missed you. So good to see you posting!
Old 11-16-2012, 09:30 AM   #466
Senior LCF Member

OK...here's to the TMI on magnesium and bathroom stuff. Feel free to ignore. What I noticed right off when eating this way was that I did not *have to* go. I didn't feel constipated, but guess that my body was utilizing the food I was giving myself to fuel my body. I asked my nutritionist and she laughed and said it was true and was proud of me for noticing that. So, pay attention to the fact of the difference between not needing to "go", and being "stopped up". They are different. I take about 500 mg of magnesium and most of it is right before bedtime. I also take 5000 of D3 spread out over the day (2,000 AM and PM and 1,000 at lunch). Doc told me to take that much after testing to see where I would level out and what was required. I'm due for more testing in the early spring. Very interesting discussion on potassium and C though. Thanks for all the info offered!
Old 11-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #467
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
OK...here's to the TMI on magnesium and bathroom stuff. Feel free to ignore. What I noticed right off when eating this way was that I did not *have to* go. I didn't feel constipated, but guess that my body was utilizing the food I was giving myself to fuel my body. I asked my nutritionist and she laughed and said it was true and was proud of me for noticing that. So, pay attention to the fact of the difference between not needing to "go", and being "stopped up". They are different. I take about 500 mg of magnesium and most of it is right before bedtime. I also take 5000 of D3 spread out over the day (2,000 AM and PM and 1,000 at lunch). Doc told me to take that much after testing to see where I would level out and what was required. I'm due for more testing in the early spring. Very interesting discussion on potassium and C though. Thanks for all the info offered!
Totally what happened to me Shelley, I don't "go" nearly as much or as often on this WOE. Not unusual to go 2-4 days between and really don't feel constipated.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #468
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Totally what happened to me Shelley, I don't "go" nearly as much or as often on this WOE. Not unusual to go 2-4 days between and really don't feel constipated.
Good news Buffy!!! I'm hoping that by writing about this, it "might" help others who are concerned that they are "backed up", when they are truly just utilizing the fuel they are eating! Love it!!!!

Bonus...we drove to CA and back (No ID).....4 days of driving out of 6 days gone...driving 9+ hours each of the 4 days. Usually I would have to stop at the rest stops along a long drive. This time, it was stopping for DH and not for "my needs" and that was new and we made much better time!!! Pretty nifty added bonus to this WOE! ha ha
Old 11-16-2012, 09:46 AM   #469
Chatty Cathy

Quote:

Yes. My Costco size bottle of this sits in my cupboard awaiting it's eventual reincarnation via my compost bin once it hits the expiry date. I can't seem to toss it until then......
Old 11-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #470
Chatty Cathy

Another question .... what (if anything) do you think it means to suddenly be experiencing really cold hands and feet? It may have to do with the change in weather but I don't recall having this last year (very low carbing and ketogenic I think).

I can get my feet warmed up but unless I am sitting still with my hands covered - they are really cold. Curious.....
Old 11-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #471
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Another question .... what (if anything) do you think it means to suddenly be experiencing really cold hands and feet? It may have to do with the change in weather but I don't recall having this last year (very low carbing and ketogenic I think).

I can get my feet warmed up but unless I am sitting still with my hands covered - they are really cold. Curious.....
I used to have this problem...CoQ10 (Ubiquinol) solved it! It's also one of the recommended nutrients for this WOE.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #472
Major LCF Poster!

Wow--great information about supplements. I've experimented and gotten advice from my ND and feel really good about what I'm taking right now. But Cathy is right, we're in uncharted territory when we're living in NK.

Cathy--for me cold hands and feet is one of the first signs that my thyroid is low.

gibster!
Old 11-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #473
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post

Cathy--for me cold hands and feet is one of the first signs that my thyroid is low.
Excellent point!!!!
Old 11-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #474
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
I used to have this problem...CoQ10 (Ubiquinol) solved it! It's also one of the recommended nutrients for this WOE.
What does that mean .... thyroid low/thyroid high...?????
Old 11-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #475
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Quote:
Hi!!!! I have missed you. So good to see you posting!

I am always around.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #476
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
What does that mean .... thyroid low/thyroid high...?????
low thyroid....hypothyroid. I take low doses of thyroid supplementation to get my numbers "up".
Old 11-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #477
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

I am always around.
Yippeee!!!!! Glad to know that!
Old 11-16-2012, 04:28 PM   #478
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Hey question.i went out for dinner.at 13bones order ribs I asked if they had sugar they said no if I did not get them with BBQ sauce so I did not when the ribs came out I thought they had a sweet taste my h said he did not taste any so when I get ready to leave I asked if they marinated them she said in coke.do you think this will trow me out of ketoeous ? I've worked so hard..
Old 11-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #479
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Hey question.i went out for dinner.at 13bones order ribs I asked if they had sugar they said no if I did not get them with BBQ sauce so I did not when the ribs came out I thought they had a sweet taste my h said he did not taste any so when I get ready to leave I asked if they marinated them she said in coke.do you think this will trow me out of ketoeous ? I've worked so hard..
There's really no way to know how many carbs were ultimately in the ribs. Just go right back to eating the way you normally eat and even if you were thrown out of ketosis you'll be back in before you know it! Don't let it get you off track.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #480
Big Yapper!!!!

The good think about the ribs is that what sugar you ended up getting was eaten along with protein. It might be such a small amount that it won't bother you.
Closed Thread