Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 10:05 PM   #421
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
Good morning everyone!
I read a little bit on fat fasting- has anyone here done that?
I did for a bit last May - I was definitely stalled, and it got me going again for a while. I couldn't eat like that for more than 3 days at a time, and I felt pretty cruddy (probably due to the "Atkins flu.") Sadly, my stall returned when I went back to normal Atkins eating. I really only got started losing again after finding this thread on NK and dropping my protein levels down.

Fat fasting is really meant as a kick-start for people whose bodies are resistant to getting into ketosis. If you want to start with a few days of that and then switch to NK it would make sense, but for the long term I think NK will give you the same results without being so restrictive.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2012, 10:20 PM   #422
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
Kristen, thanks for the coupon code for the American Diabetes. I finally ordered the Novamax monitor and strips. How long does it take after you eat something for the ketones to be affected? I have a couple of items I've been hesitant to eat because I don't know if they'll drop me out of ketosis (low carb tortillas, berries, etc) and I figure I can get a baseline and test a few items before I use up the 10 free strips.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:53 PM   #423
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tablis
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Hi all,
Still on plan. I bounced up again today which is a little disconcerting but I will keep at it.
I've been taking the Magnesium Citrate and still not feeling the effects. I started with 200. Then 200 am and another PM and still nothing. Now I guess I'll try to move up to 400 at night and 200 in the morning.. hope it works soon.
I was really tempted to take a few TBS of Wheat bran or psyillium husks bc that's what I have done in the past- I believe psyillium husks is recommended by atkins himself -but after reading negative things about it I'm really confused so I hope the mag kicks in soon.
Btw- I went to get some potassium and the pharmacist told me (unsolicited advice) that potassium is notoriously bad for kidneys and I shouldn't take it long term... thoughts?
Old 11-15-2012, 04:26 AM   #424
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablis View Post
Hi all,
Still on plan. I bounced up again today which is a little disconcerting but I will keep at it.
I've been taking the Magnesium Citrate and still not feeling the effects. I started with 200. Then 200 am and another PM and still nothing. Now I guess I'll try to move up to 400 at night and 200 in the morning.. hope it works soon.
I was really tempted to take a few TBS of Wheat bran or psyillium husks bc that's what I have done in the past- I believe psyillium husks is recommended by atkins himself -but after reading negative things about it I'm really confused so I hope the mag kicks in soon.
Btw- I went to get some potassium and the pharmacist told me (unsolicited advice) that potassium is notoriously bad for kidneys and I shouldn't take it long term... thoughts?
My recommendation is probiotics for long term 'reliability' and for short term, try mag oxide. For a natural source of potassium, the best source is avocados which also happen to fit into a n.k. woe and provides a ton of fibre!!
Old 11-15-2012, 04:54 AM   #425
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: omatic
Stats: 148/140/130
I can't say that I noticed any difference in weight loss during the winter months but mostly because I have not paid attention and am just to tired to care. One very prominent thing is wanting to go to sleep around 7:30-8:00 since it has been dark since 4:30-5:00! I often do go to bed early. Maybe the lack of activity is a possible cause for a stall or weight gain.

Funny how when I was younger the lack of light did not seem to effect me. Now, I can't wait until the holidays are over so the days will start to get longer.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:02 AM   #426
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi all,
My magnesium malate program (for my migraines) is 200mg at breakfast, 200mg after lunch and 500mg at bed time. MCT oil will also get things going for me if I take it on the empty stomach. I read somewhere recently that the constipation issue from the "atkins" style of eating is due to the loss of salt which influences the GI tracts water balance. The salt reduction is from eating less processed food which contain a lot of salt. More salt for you?
Old 11-15-2012, 05:04 AM   #427
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
For a natural source of potassium, the best source is avocados which also happen to fit into a n.k. woe and provides a ton of fibre!!
Avocado
Old 11-15-2012, 06:16 AM   #428
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
Re: Thanksgiving, has anyone tried making dressing from the flaxseed focaccia bread recipe? I thought if I made a batch I could use it to substitute for corn bread in dressing.
I have never made the flaxseed focaccia, does it have a cornbready texture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
Kristen, thanks for the coupon code for the American Diabetes. I finally ordered the Novamax monitor and strips. How long does it take after you eat something for the ketones to be affected? I have a couple of items I've been hesitant to eat because I don't know if they'll drop me out of ketosis (low carb tortillas, berries, etc) and I figure I can get a baseline and test a few items before I use up the 10 free strips.
I'm glad you were able to take advantage of it and order the meter. You should end up with 14 strips, two come in the box with the monitor and then you'll get two more free when you register it.

This is all so new and I haven't done much experimenting with testing after eating. I guess you'd need to get a baseline after a "normal" meal and then test after a meal with those items. I would guess a few hours would work, but it's just a guess.

Quote:
Hi all,
Hmmm. Potassium supplements, or just potassium? I do know that the supplement tablets have a very low amount in them, possibly for a bad reaction to taking too much? I just can't seem to eat enough potassium rich foods (and I love avocado).

I did read on another board that someone suggested taking 200 mg of magnesium every 2 hours until things "moved." Not an every day suggestion, but if you're really stopped up. I have not tried this myself, nor do I know if it works...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omatic View Post
Funny how when I was younger the lack of light did not seem to effect me. Now, I can't wait until the holidays are over so the days will start to get longer.
I moved to Seattle from California 18 years ago and I loved it! But the older I get the less I can handle the short days in the winter.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 11-15-2012, 06:35 AM   #429
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Good morning! I lapsed and hit the hard stuff last night in the form of a Heath bar. The combination of stress and unpreparedness took me over. I only bought the one bar, though, so it's gone and back out of my life. I REALLY need to do some cooking this weekend to make sure I have good, convenient options on hand for those moments of potential weakness. I currently have pretty much nothing useful in my refrigerator/freezer/pantry since I was gone over the weekend so didn't shop nor cook at all for this week.

And Mr. Baby's ear infection is all cleared up, which is good, but I only know this because we were at the pediatrician's yesterday because he woke up twice with giant red welts. Brought him to the doc yesterday afternoon, and their first guess is an allergy to the amoxicillin, so we've stopped that and started low dose children's Benadryl. He was clear when he went to bed last night, but woke up this morning with three new large welts, and he hasn't had any amoxicillin in 24 hours, so I'm very skeptical that that's the culprit. It's frustrating to not know the cause so I can fix it. I don't like giving him Benadryl all the time, but I don't want his reaction to get any worse (I have been in anaphylactic shock, so I know how bad an allergy can get). He hasn't eaten any new foods, we haven't changed laundry detergent or soaps or lotions or anything...not sure what's going on. He seems to be in good spirits still, just tired (which is probably not helped by the Benadryl!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Jilly, I see that netrition carries a liquid CO now. It is in my cart so when I order next time I can try it, just for the uses you mention.
I just looked it up, and it still says the only ingredient is coconut oil. They must do something to it, though, to make it higher in MCT than normal in order to stay liquid at lower temps. Interesting. I do also like the MCT oil for things where I wouldn't want to add any coconut flavor/aroma, but I could see liquid co being good in a plain chocolate protein shake...dammit, now I might have to place another order!
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)
Old 11-15-2012, 06:40 AM   #430
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
Start Date: 10/24/12
Tablis- I find that drinking 1 tablespoon of olive oil first thing in the morning, followed w/a glass of water really really helps me get things moving!
Old 11-15-2012, 06:46 AM   #431
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
Start Date: 10/24/12
BTW, is there a specific name/model # for the nova max meter that measure ketones and includes a few ketone strips?
Old 11-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #432
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
BTW, is there a specific name/model # for the nova max meter that measure ketones and includes a few ketone strips?
It's the Nova Max Plus.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #433
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
I have the Nova Max plus which came with 10 free glucose strips and 2 free ketone strips, those 2 I ruined trying to learn to use the darn thing. But, once you learn how to insert them, you won't have a problem. I don't use it for glucose testing as I found it wasn't reliable, I use it for my ketone testing and my Accuchek Compact plus for my glucose testing.

MerryKate, and someone correct me if I am wrong here, but I am pretty sure the 10 free strips you will receive are for glucose testing and you only get 2 free strips for ketone testing. The ketone strips are the ones that are soooo darn expensive. I don't know how long after you eat a particular food it affects your ketones, it will affect your glucose within 1-2 hours.

On the ketosis, I just check mine once a day, first thing in the morning, and since that is the time of day you usually test lowest, am I am in the "zone" I call it, from 0.5 to 3.0 then I know I am eating right to stay in ketosis. From what I read, you usually get a higher reading in the evening.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:31 AM   #434
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh, and another thing to watch for. On the Nova Max plus, when you insert a strip, it should recognize whether it is for ketones or glucose, but alas, once in a while, you will insert an expensive ketone strip and your meter will show that it is testing for glucose, so you will then get an error reading. I also ruined 2-3 strips doing this. Now, I insert the ketone strip, look at the meter to be sure it says ket and then test the drop of blood.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:34 AM   #435
Big Yapper!!!!

Jilly, sorry to hear about Mr. Baby's allergy welts. My DGS started getting this rash around his mouth, went on for several weeks until mommy and daddy figured out it was from strawberries! He can eat other berries but not strawberries. It could be from sooo many different things, really hard to figure out. good luck on that.

1 heath bar won't kill you, a dozen, then we will have to give you a good spanking. Yes, it is important to have some treats made up at home, like fat bombs, or something you can quickly grab in times like that.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #436
Big Yapper!!!!

Have suffered myself from SAD since I was a young teen. Took me years to figure out what it was, I loved fall and then as the year/winter wore on, I wore out, didn't want to get out, didn't want to do anything except lay on my couch and eat carbs. Come spring, I would start to come out of it. It did get worse the older I got and I finally sought help for it. For several years, the Dr. would just put me on meds in say October and I would take them until February or so, then as I reached menopause, I just stayed on the meds year round. Made a world of difference.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:46 AM   #437
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I have the Nova Max plus which came with 10 free glucose strips and 2 free ketone strips, those 2 I ruined trying to learn to use the darn thing. But, once you learn how to insert them, you won't have a problem. I don't use it for glucose testing as I found it wasn't reliable, I use it for my ketone testing and my Accuchek Compact plus for my glucose testing.

MerryKate, and someone correct me if I am wrong here, but I am pretty sure the 10 free strips you will receive are for glucose testing and you only get 2 free strips for ketone testing. The ketone strips are the ones that are soooo darn expensive. I don't know how long after you eat a particular food it affects your ketones, it will affect your glucose within 1-2 hours.
Thanks for all of the great tips on using the Nova meter!

I was assuming that she ordered the 10 ketone strips with free meter from American Diabetes Wholesale since she used the coupon code.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #438
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post

Hmmm. Potassium supplements, or just potassium? I do know that the supplement tablets have a very low amount in them, possibly for a bad reaction to taking too much? I just can't seem to eat enough potassium rich foods (and I love avocado).

I did read on another board that someone suggested taking 200 mg of magnesium every 2 hours until things "moved." Not an every day suggestion, but if you're really stopped up. I have not tried this myself, nor do I know if it works...
I was looking for potassium supplements and didn't find any on the shelf.
I noticed that the sea salt I'm using doesn't have much in the way of minerals in it. I haven't been dizzy for awhile but the times that it happened I was always deep in ketosis (dark purple sticks). (The fact that I'm not dizzy now makes me wonder if I'm not fully in ketosis yet).

the magnesium still hasn't started to work.. its not that I feel uncomfortable as much as I'm worried about what must be going on in there. This has always been a problem for me with LC for so many yrs. As soon as I have a cheat everything is fine though.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:44 AM   #439
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
My recommendation is probiotics for long term 'reliability' and for short term, try mag oxide. For a natural source of potassium, the best source is avocados which also happen to fit into a n.k. woe and provides a ton of fibre!!
tx I wish i liked avocados I know they are so good for you!
which kind of probiotics do you use? there are so many..
Old 11-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #440
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Not sure on the ketosis Kristn, but always have noticed that the fall and short days, long dark evenings bring on a feeling of wanting to eat more carby food, like we are bears getting ready to hibernate. When I was young and slim, and ate whatever I felt like eating, I would put on 10 or so lbs every fall and winter, then take them off during the spring and summer. That worked until I got a little older.
ME too!
Old 11-15-2012, 08:47 AM   #441
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Thanks for all of the great tips on using the Nova meter!

I was assuming that she ordered the 10 ketone strips with free meter from American Diabetes Wholesale since she used the coupon code.
Oh, sorry, I didn't go look at what they offered. Thought you might have it mixed up with the 10 glucose strips.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #442
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Tablis- I find that drinking 1 tablespoon of olive oil first thing in the morning, followed w/a glass of water really really helps me get things moving!
Sophie thanks. I keep hearing that but there's no way I could down that.
Once a while back I tried the shangrila diet which involved downing oil and I failed miserably I am having 3 TBS of CO daily in the form of fat bombs and I use oil liberally on my (very tiny) salads and with my protein. Its mostly canolla though.
Glad to hear you are back home. I hope you didn't have a lot of damage.
The pictures of the devastation are shocking.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #443
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catjrow3
Stats: 240/177/150
WOE: NK - LCHF
Start Date: 05/18/2013 (restart of course)
Morning ladies... so I was back on track yesterday, high fat day of like 80% I think. I got my meter yesterday and had to try it... my ketone one said LO... which means definitely not NK>>> and this was afternoon. I will wait a few more days of getting back into NK to see ... did my glucose this morning fasting and it was 88. Is this good or bad? I am pretty sure I am fine as far as prediabetes, etc.. but I dont know what the numbers should look like. What should they look like 2 hours after eating as well?

The weight came back down a bit today, like almost 2 of the 3+ from yesterday... hate bouncing up and down! I just am greedy and want down down down! LOL

I ordered the Nova Max Plus too.. thats the one I got yesterday. I ordered from american diabetes wholesale and it only took like a week to get it. I ordered the 10 pack of BK strips too...
Old 11-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #444
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
tx I wish i liked avocados I know they are so good for you!
which kind of probiotics do you use? there are so many..
You know, I used to like avocado, but now, I'm noticing I like them less and less. I've tried them in restaurants (on burgers, in salads, etc.) and various levels of ripeness at home, and I just don't care for them anymore. Boo.

I use a probiotic by Garden of Life called Primal Defense Ultra. I take 4 per day (1 at a time spread out throughout the day). I used to only take 1 per day and then had to take antibiotics for a bacterial infection when I was pregnant last year, and I've been doing the 4 per day ever since. There are cheaper ones out there, but, when I was researching, I came to understand that you want multiple different types of "bugs" in your probiotic (not, for example, just acidophilis), and the more per serving, the better, so look for measurements in the billions as opposed to millions.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #445
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catjrow3 View Post
did my glucose this morning fasting and it was 88. Is this good or bad? I am pretty sure I am fine as far as prediabetes, etc.. but I dont know what the numbers should look like. What should they look like 2 hours after eating as well?
Sources vary on the specific numbers, but 88 is perfectly normal. US Diagnostic guidelines say fasting levels of 100+ are considered abnormally high (be it prediabetes or diabetes - there is some disagreement as to whether "prediabetes" should even be a diagnosis since many believe you either have it or you don't, and that "gray area" just confuses people). By 2 hours after first bite of a meal, some sources say you should be below 140, some say 120, and some say 100. I think 140 is sort of the "good for a diabetic" level, not necessarily the healthiest level, if that makes sense. Studies have shown that damage to organs and such occurs with glucose levels of 140+, so the more/longer your levels are that high, the more impact it may have on your body.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #446
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Sources vary on the specific numbers, but 88 is perfectly normal. US Diagnostic guidelines say fasting levels of 100+ are considered abnormally high (be it prediabetes or diabetes - there is some disagreement as to whether "prediabetes" should even be a diagnosis since many believe you either have it or you don't, and that "gray area" just confuses people). By 2 hours after first bite of a meal, some sources say you should be below 140, some say 120, and some say 100. I think 140 is sort of the "good for a diabetic" level, not necessarily the healthiest level, if that makes sense. Studies have shown that damage to organs and such occurs with glucose levels of 140+, so the more/longer your levels are that high, the more impact it may have on your body.
Thank you Jilly. Yesterday I did it one hour after eating or so (just had gotten the meter) and it was 119 so I guess that should have been okay too? I will hope for lower numbers fasting.. I want low ones!! My mom was 113 fasting... I think she is really prediabetic! She is pretty overweight and has high blood pressure, eats like crap!!
Old 11-15-2012, 11:09 AM   #447
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
You know, I used to like avocado, but now, I'm noticing I like them less and less. I've tried them in restaurants (on burgers, in salads, etc.) and various levels of ripeness at home, and I just don't care for them anymore. Boo.

I use a probiotic by Garden of Life called Primal Defense Ultra. I take 4 per day (1 at a time spread out throughout the day). I used to only take 1 per day and then had to take antibiotics for a bacterial infection when I was pregnant last year, and I've been doing the 4 per day ever since. There are cheaper ones out there, but, when I was researching, I came to understand that you want multiple different types of "bugs" in your probiotic (not, for example, just acidophilis), and the more per serving, the better, so look for measurements in the billions as opposed to millions.
Thanks!
Old 11-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #448
Big Yapper!!!!

I like a half an avocado, sprinkled with lemon pepper.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #449
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I like a half an avocado, sprinkled with lemon pepper.
I put half an avocado on my green salad!! or wrapped in turkey slices with mayo...
Old 11-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #450
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Avocado salad... I have this and don't eat (or even think about eating) for another good 8 or 9 hours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg avocado salad 2.jpg (59.5 KB, 29 views)
Closed Thread