Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 06:22 AM   #391
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
I have been registering low on ketones for the past 4 days. I am not eating anything different than normal (except for the wine on Saturday night). I wouldn't expect that the wine tasting would knock me out this long. My other thoughts are TOM (started last Friday, still dragging on), Thyroid, or the change in weather. I have long suspected that the dark, gloomy fall and winters that we have around here make it difficult to lose or maintain weight. I have an appointment with the endo the week after Thanksgiving to check my Thyroid and I feel like I may be a bit low from symptoms.

My weight seems to be fine and I feel okay, but the ketones seem to be stuck in the .3-.6 range right now. This makes me a bit more nervous about indulging in more protein/carbs than usual on Thanksgiving.

Has anyone else noticed that it's hard to get/stay in ketosis this time of year?
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2012, 07:11 AM   #392
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: risajs
Has anyone tried using Julian Bakery's coconut Paleo bread in any sort of stuffing? It's pretty expensive to make enough to feed everyone at my Thanksgiving gathering, but I thought of using a loaf to make some stuffing to have with leftovers.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #393
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: risajs
Kristn - FWIW, as soon as that TOM hit, my ketones dropped below .5. I still register weight loss, too - sometimes more, but not the ketones. Makes no logical sense at all. I'm just gonna accept it until Volek and Phinney figure out what the heck is going on with us ladies!

I'm willing to put money on your ketones going back up in the next day or two, though.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:16 AM   #394
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Not sure on the ketosis Kristn, but always have noticed that the fall and short days, long dark evenings bring on a feeling of wanting to eat more carby food, like we are bears getting ready to hibernate. When I was young and slim, and ate whatever I felt like eating, I would put on 10 or so lbs every fall and winter, then take them off during the spring and summer. That worked until I got a little older.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:10 AM   #395
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catjrow3
Stats: 240/177/150
WOE: NK - LCHF
Start Date: 05/18/2013 (restart of course)
Good morning everyone! Well... I ate too much last night, not happy with myself... My calories were too high. I did not go carb tastic, which is unusual for me.. but not sure what my problem was anyway... and to reward me, this morning on the scale, it was up 3+ lbs... What??? UGH! I was still like 68% fat, 12% protein and 19% carbs... Not sure if thats why... but boo! My meter and strips will be here today but I dont think I will test now for a few days.. since I am not sure if I knocked myself out of NK...

I notice this time of year I definitely want carbs (oh wait... I always want carbs (sigh)) ... and have not tested BK yet, so not sure there either..

Do any of the rest of you just bounce up on the scale? I am hoping with a tight day today it will come back down tomorrow.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:12 AM   #396
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Except for my initial 10-pound weight loss, I have been very bouncy.

I don't know if it will affect you this way, but once I was in ketosis (above 0.5) I did not care about carbs at all. Still don't. If I cheat, it's too much protein, but I haven't been knocked out of ketosis.

I have other thyroidy issues, though, too, which are being addressed, but it takes time.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:19 AM   #397
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Good morning everyone!

Unstrung- how long did it take for your meter to come? I ordered it about a month ago and still have not received it. I do still need to order ketone strips though.

I had a wonderfully cheesy omelet this morning, I was expecting to be more satisfied afterwards, but I'm still wanting more food. I'm hanging on for another bit though before eating more. I read a little bit on fat fasting- has anyone here done that? I am not at a point that I'm ready to try it yet, and I don't know if I could ever limit calories so low...but then again, I never thought i'd try IF'ing and limiting my carbs so low!

Kristn and Buffy- I struggle with low energy in this weather- more specifically when it is overcast, dreary, rainy, cold, etc...don't want to leave the bed.

-Sophie
Old 11-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #398
Big Yapper!!!!

Cathy, the bouncing scales taunt me almost daily. My weight will hit a new low and then I will bounce for a week or more before I see another new low. Sometimes even a little longer. And, the bounce can be anywhere from a lb to 3 or more lbs. I always tell people to weigh everyday if they wish, but to pick one day a week to keep a log of their weight, then over time, you want to see a downward trend in that.

You probably haven't been doing this long enough yet to get into steady ketosis and that is when you will see the appetite suppression. And, even then, you will have days you are just really really hungry. That is when you go heavy on the fat, more fat bombs if you have made those, have as much butter on things as you can eat, don't worry if your calories go pretty high those days, you just want to stay away from carbs. Many days my fat is 80% or above and I am losing slowly but steadily seeing that downward trend I want to see. Until you get into steady ketosis, eat to hunger, just try to make most of it fat, being sure you get your minimum protein in there of course. 2 of my DD's are doing this along with me and one of them has mentioned that the past 2 days she has just been very very hungry and she is in ketosis. You just have those days, and also, you have days when it is a struggle to eat enough calories!! Hard to believe but it will happen.

Remember, eat your minimum protein to avoid losing LBM. Keep your carbs at 5% or so to get started and let fat make up the difference to satisfy hunger.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:21 AM   #399
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Except for my initial 10-pound weight loss, I have been very bouncy.

I don't know if it will affect you this way, but once I was in ketosis (above 0.5) I did not care about carbs at all. Still don't. If I cheat, it's too much protein, but I haven't been knocked out of ketosis.

I have other thyroidy issues, though, too, which are being addressed, but it takes time.
I was not craving carbs really except mentally... I tell myself in my head I can eat that... even if I dont really want it... Its half my battle with my weight... my "inner brat"
Old 11-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #400
Big Yapper!!!!

Sophia, definitely sleep more this time of year. I attribute it to getting less sunshine, we really do resemble bears somewhat, we kind of like to hibernate in the winter time.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:23 AM   #401
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catjrow3 View Post
I was not craving carbs really except mentally... I tell myself in my head I can eat that... even if I dont really want it... Its half my battle with my weight... my "inner brat"
Cathy, I think NK will slap that little inner brat of yours into shape, just give it time.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:25 AM   #402
Big Yapper!!!!

Ok, one more piece of advice and then I will shut up, for a minute at least

Choose a plan and then stick with it for a month before you look for other things to try, it takes your body a while to trust what you are trying to do, and then if, after a month, you don't see any results, then look at ways to tweak it.

Over and out
Old 11-14-2012, 08:27 AM   #403
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Cathy, I think NK will slap that little inner brat of yours into shape, just give it time.
SO FUNNY Buffy!

Well, and true!
Old 11-14-2012, 08:29 AM   #404
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Haha....that will be hard to do... but I am game! I will try for a month. I have a hard time sticking when things dont go the way I want (*down*)....
Old 11-14-2012, 08:32 AM   #405
Big Yapper!!!!

When I first started, I was lucky enough to meet Judy, and she was talking about hardly being able to eat, she was just not hungry at all. I said that could never happen to me, well, it has. I have days that it is work to barely get to 1000 calories. I seldom let them stay that low b/c I think that the body needs more and low calories can hinder weight loss, but, it is amazing what ketosis does.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #406
Big Yapper!!!!

Wait, was that a full minute
Old 11-14-2012, 08:41 AM   #407
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post

Doesn't it feel great to get beyond the adjustment phase? I'm sure you'll see the whoosh you're waiting for very soon!
Yes, it's amazing! I have even started having better morning workouts. I never thought I could be a morning workout person (only coffee, no food prior to workout). I guess it's the HWC in my coffee, plus caffeine of course! I did a HIIT workout today and felt great!!
Old 11-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #408
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
Good morning everyone!

Unstrung- how long did it take for your meter to come? I ordered it about a month ago and still have not received it. I do still need to order ketone strips though.

-Sophie
I had to check the date of my post on here to be sure, but it only took 5 days...and that included a weekend. I'm thinking something went wrong with your request??

Was it the Nova Max you ordered or the Precision Xtra? Mine is the Precision Xtra that came from Abbott.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:12 AM   #409
Major LCF Poster!

Does anyone ever have trouble with energy with aerobic exercise? I dont have enough energy to get through an hours' workout!
Old 11-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #410
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catjrow3 View Post
Does anyone ever have trouble with energy with aerobic exercise? I dont have enough energy to get through an hours' workout!
They talk about this in the Art and Science of LC Performance. When you are adapting to ketosis your performance will suffer and you will hit a wall (your body is trying to use glucose for fuel). Once you're fully in ketosis you can tap into your body fat stores and it should stop being a problem.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #411
Major LCF Poster!

Good to know. I am finding it hard to get through my classes though right now...
Old 11-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #412
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbin View Post
Is it the same thing then to just eat CO? curious because I have that of course
I just use the MCT oil when the CO won't work. For example, I mix oil into my cold protein shakes, and I can't use CO for that because it's solid when cold, so I use MCT oil instead.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #413
Big Yapper!!!!

Jilly, I see that netrition carries a liquid CO now. It is in my cart so when I order next time I can try it, just for the uses you mention.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #414
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Unstrung- I ordered the precision...they emailed me to confirm the shipping address a few weeks ago and he said it was shipping from Boston...I guess I'll follow up on that email and see what they say.

Buffy...I can't wait for the appetite suppression, mental clarity, etc to kick in!

Cat- I haven't been exercising at all while my body is trying to adapt to ketosis...the most I'll do is hot yoga or walking 1 or 2xs a week.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #415
Big Yapper!!!!

The appetite will drop, you will be surprised. Just keep the carbs really low
Old 11-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #416
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JoeEO
Quote:
Has anyone else noticed that it's hard to get/stay in ketosis this time of year?
I have noticed the same thing. I think it is adjusting to daylight savings (really)
I have not had the same "feeling" as of late - I've been hungry and tired. I am to drinking a couple of bullet-proof coffees and I was good until 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM now I am hungry at 11:30 AM....

I have been working crazy hours but will be off all next week. I am go to bed extra early the next couple of day and have a nice 24 fast on Sunday (ending with the Patriots game!!)

Peace

Joe E O
Old 11-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #417
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stepinthyme
Stats: 289/???/190 - 5'-8"
WOE: Low Carb/Counting Calories
Start Date: Restart January 2014
Subscribing...
Old 11-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #418
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
I have been registering low on ketones for the past 4 days. I am not eating anything different than normal (except for the wine on Saturday night). I wouldn't expect that the wine tasting would knock me out this long. My other thoughts are TOM (started last Friday, still dragging on), Thyroid, or the change in weather. I have long suspected that the dark, gloomy fall and winters that we have around here make it difficult to lose or maintain weight. I have an appointment with the endo the week after Thanksgiving to check my Thyroid and I feel like I may be a bit low from symptoms.

My weight seems to be fine and I feel okay, but the ketones seem to be stuck in the .3-.6 range right now. This makes me a bit more nervous about indulging in more protein/carbs than usual on Thanksgiving.

Hi Kristn. before I have to drag myself back to work....I wanted to pass on an interesting article I read this morning. Seasonal weight loss slow down. Take more Vitamin D3 in the morning. (Have you had your levels checked?) it helps gear us up. Never in the evening it will kill sleep patterns. SAD is starting, so get some sun if you can find it during the day, 20 min helps. But the link is real, our bodies are slowing down this time of year. It mentioned more about light than increasing exercise.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #419
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Hi Kristn. before I have to drag myself back to work....I wanted to pass on an interesting article I read this morning. Seasonal weight loss slow down. Take more Vitamin D3 in the morning. (Have you had your levels checked?) it helps gear us up. Never in the evening it will kill sleep patterns. SAD is starting, so get some sun if you can find it during the day, 20 min helps. But the link is real, our bodies are slowing down this time of year. It mentioned more about light than increasing exercise.
Thanks for the reminder. I have been taking 2000 IUs of vitamin D forever and I usually up it in the winter, I'm going to double my dosage tomorrow. I have been tested and my levels were excellent (especially given that I live so far North). I try to get as much sun as possible, but given where I live it's really hard. My goal is to go to the tanning bed 2x/week. I know the risks, but it really helps me make it through the winter here.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:52 PM   #420
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Thanks for the recommendations on the D3. I'm also from way up north and I've always struggled with SAD. I'm definitely feeling the darkness descending this year, but at least the carb cravings are no longer an issue – aside from an abiding desire to eat chocolate. Usually, ignoring the craving and going for a walk outside has worked, but tonight I whipped up an almond-milk hot chocolate which not only cured my chocolate craving, but killed any desire to eat for the evening.

FWIW, when looking into SAD last winter I found some studies that recommend using melatonin therapeutically. For people who have trouble waking up in the morning, taking a very small dose in the afternoon for a week can reset your inner clock. It did work for me, but the week was a bear to get through!

Re: Thanksgiving, has anyone tried making dressing from the flaxseed focaccia bread recipe? I thought if I made a batch I could use it to substitute for corn bread in dressing.
Closed Thread