Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #361
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindawell8 View Post
Please would somebody tell me what MCT oil is. O know I am going to feel stupid when you tell me. But after reading one of the threads I need it. Thank you.
Don't feel stupid! It's not common by any means. It stands for Medium Chain Triglycerides. It's essentially the primary type of fat in coconut oil. Unlike CO, it remains a liquid at cooler temps like a regular oil. I've never seen it in a grocery store or anything; I've only ever bought it online.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #362
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catjrow3 View Post
Also, I see the lower calories, and I get this, but mine are up right now and I dont want to lower them unless I have to... Did anyone else start out high and then have to lower after a week or so..? or did everyone start out lower calories? Mine are right around 2100-2300 right now.. (now I exercise most everyday with weight lifting and some cardio) but I really need to lose 30+ lbs... but the scale is still moving down right now, I think just because my body likes not having carbs...
I'm personally a fan of keeping calories as high as possible while still seeing progress. I think a week is too short of a time to know if you need to adjust, especially for females (stupid hormone fluctuations...). I don't really exercise at all, and I don't usually eat fruit. I LOVE fruit, so I just don't even keep it in the house.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:08 AM   #363
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
Also, I see the lower calories, and I get this, but mine are up right now and I dont want to lower them unless I have to... Did anyone else start out high and then have to lower after a week or so..? or did everyone start out lower calories? Mine are right around 2100-2300 right now.. (now I exercise most everyday with weight lifting and some cardio) but I really need to lose 30+ lbs... but the scale is still moving down right now, I think just because my body likes not having carbs...

Also, does anyone eat fruit ever???
With the amount you exercise, I would definitely keep those calories up ... I know you burn 500-1000 calories a day in exercise many days.

I think it really varies here...I try to keep mine lowish many days...but right now I'm focusing on NOT binging on carbs so I'm eating more fat, even more protein if needed right now.

I do have a small amount of fruit...but it tends to be 2-4 net carbs worth, nothing to write home about! I like to add raspberries or blackberries to my chocolate coconut oil snack. Fresh out of the freezer they get a nice solid chocolate coating when I use coconut oil.
2012 lowish Optimal calories, June25th 132.6/124.6/110
Old 11-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #364
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lindawell8
Stats: 198/198/160
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: Jan. 2012
Thank you Catjrow and jillybean.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:40 AM   #365
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Morning.
wow, so many posts. Can't answer each one so will try to just touch on a few things.
I started out trying to keep my calories low, but it was hard and I didn't want this to be hard. Raised them a little and NK still was working for me, so got comfortable with that, then raised them a little more and still losing. Like Jilly I feel like you should try to lose at the highest amount of calories so that you have wiggle room when you get down to trying to lose those last stubborn lbs.

I am not currently exercising but wish I were, I used to walk daily and really want to get back to that.

My Thanksgiving plans do NOT include cheating on my WOE. I will have the turkey, will make some side dishes that my DD and I can eat, she is NK as well, and a dessert for us. It isn't worth it to me to get out of ketosis and have to struggle to get back in, or, to gain back any of these hard fought for losses. I am leaning towards either a cheesecake or the almond fudge cake for dessert.

As a diabetic, this diet is great for me and I am so happy I decided to get back on LC, and, it just so happened that when I started looking around here at LCF's, I found Kristn's thread and decided that NK was the way to go. Then, found the other NK thread started by Reddarin and I participate on both, great ideas on both threads.

I lose weight slowly but really enjoy making and eating lots of the LC recipes that are around. I might lose quicker if I ate more simply, but I am in this for the long haul and I like to make and enjoy those things. Either approach is fine, just do what works best for you.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #366
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catjrow3
Stats: 240/177/150
WOE: NK - LCHF
Start Date: 05/18/2013 (restart of course)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
I am leaning towards either a cheesecake or the almond fudge cake for dessert.
Recipes for either of these???
Old 11-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #367
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
I'm not planning on cheating, either. I will make the pumpkin bake. I might even put it in a regular pie crust for the others. I doubt they'll ever know it's low carb.
I'll just eat the middle!

I am evaluating different dressings.

I guess if I cheat it might be in too much protein. But it's not in my plans.

JODY'S PUMPKIN BAKE
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
5 eggs
1 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda (see update)
15 ounce can pumpkin
1 1/2 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla

Put the cream cheese in a medium mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and beat well. Pour into a 6x8" greased glass baking dish. Bake at 350║ about 40 minutes or until the center feels firm and a knife inserted in the center comes out relatively clean. Cool, then chill before serving.

Makes 6 servings
Do not freeze

With granular Splenda:
Per Serving: 228 Calories; 18g Fat; 9g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
Per Serving: 220 Calories; 18g Fat; 9g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
Old 11-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #368
Big Yapper!!!!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post12769318

Tried this and made just half a recipe, it was very good. I frosted mine with a fudgy type frosting made with swerve.

I also like the pumpkin bake Judy referred to.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #369
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
I am a big fan of Beachgirl's cheesecake recipes on LCF. The thread here has multiple variations including the pumkin white-chocolate version. I'm not a fan of white chocolate so I just do pumpkin.

I haven't made one in years and I'm getting excited about having cheesecake because it fits in so well with NK!
Old 11-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #370
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
I am glad you are back home. It's so much easier to manage our food at home and so difficult around friends & family!

I just wanted to say - I agree 100% The thread started by Kristn and continued by her is one of the most instructive things on the internet. She has very specifically helped people tweak their numbers and every time she does, we all learn a little more. It's one thing to do it yourself, quite another to give your time and attention to so many others.
. I started this thread to bring together and learn from others who are trying to figure out this WOE. It's all so new and uncharted and I have learned so much from everyone. I am grateful for this community in which to share all of this.

As far as calories go, I am a true believer in not changing what is working for you. If you are losing on higher calories that's awesome!! If it stops working then make changes to see if you can shake things up.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #371
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
I am a big fan of Beachgirl's cheesecake recipes on LCF. The thread here has multiple variations including the pumkin white-chocolate version. I'm not a fan of white chocolate so I just do pumpkin.

I haven't made one in years and I'm getting excited about having cheesecake because it fits in so well with NK!
Kristn do you use granular Splenda? Or do you mix your artificial sweeteners?
I have really grown to like Swerve. I bet I could use it in this, just wondered if you had? Thanks.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #372
Big Yapper!!!!

Congrats Jilly on your new Low, almost missed that!!!
Old 11-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #373
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Loser
Stats: 142/135/115 (HW 219)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 10/31/12
Judy, what exactly is Swerve? Is it essentially erythritol? I usually use liquid splenda, occasionally use stevia (which I find has a bitter aftertaste) and sometimes mix erythritol with liquid splenda. I'm always looking for an improved sweetener, though, and I'm not at all familiar with Swerve.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #374
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loser View Post
Judy, what exactly is Swerve? Is it essentially erythritol? I usually use liquid splenda, occasionally use stevia (which I find has a bitter aftertaste) and sometimes mix erythritol with liquid splenda. I'm always looking for an improved sweetener, though, and I'm not at all familiar with Swerve.
I think Swerve is mostly erythritol, but has some sort proprietary ingredient which lessens the cooling effect on the mouth and doesn't seem to have any aftertaste.

I finally went through that thread and yes, others are actually using straight liquid Splenda. I'll probably mix my sweeteners, too.

I really like Swerve, though. In that pumpkin bake I posted a little earlier, that's what I use - it tastes like sugar to me.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #375
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you ladies, where do you get swerve and liquid splenda? I have stevia, splenda, xylitol and erythritol too powdered I believe... which i think is "cool" tasting when I use and dont like it... mentholy?? Anyone else notice this with erythritol?
Old 11-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #376
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Thank you ladies, where do you get swerve and liquid splenda? I have stevia, splenda, xylitol and erythritol too powdered I believe... which i think is "cool" tasting when I use and dont like it... mentholy?? Anyone else notice this with erythritol?
Yes, that menthol-y feeling is missing in the Swerve. You can click on the word and see that netrition carries it. They also have their own website and have a special 3-for-2 deal right now - I have not compared the costs.

DaVinci and Torani are liquids that are sweetened with Splenda. As far as I know they don't add the carbs or have the aftertaste as does the granular Splenda. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please!
Old 11-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #377
Big Yapper!!!!

I am another big fan of swerve and I do notice a very light cooling effect, but not nearly as much as with regular erythritol. In fact, in most things I kind of enjoy it. It is my favorite sweetener now, but I do mix it some with liquid splenda and stevia.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #378
Senior LCF Member

I've never tried Swerve. I do notice the cooling effect with plain erythritol. I have mixed sucralose and erythritol to cut that effect, but I would prefer not to use sucralose at all. I wish they would make Truvia in large bags for baking without adding SUGAR to it
Old 11-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #379
Big Yapper!!!!

I do mix swerve and liquid splenda, I don't like to use granular splenda b/c the calories and carbs add up.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:46 PM   #380
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks.. I dont like the cooling effect at all. I dont like erythritol for that reason. I have the SF syrups da vinci... so I could use that for the liquid splenda. I was looking for a "liquid splenda" haha!
Old 11-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #381
Big Yapper!!!!

Cat, if you go to netrition and put in liquid splenda, they have some in dropper containers that are very good.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #382
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Cat, if you go to netrition and put in liquid splenda, they have some in dropper containers that are very good.
I use the EZ-Sweetz from netrition. That and DaVinci syrups are the extent of my knowledge of artificial sweeteneers.

I've been super busy at work today. I'm going to try and catch up later!
Old 11-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #383
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Kristn do you use granular Splenda? Or do you mix your artificial sweeteners?
I have really grown to like Swerve. I bet I could use it in this, just wondered if you had? Thanks.
I have never used Swerve. Since I don't do much baking I just stick to liquid splenda. I've tried stevia in several forms and don't like it at all.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #384
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
Hello everyone!!!! I am so happy to be back on my regular computer at my home!! What little posting I have done has been from my phone- which I dislike typing on. We came back home last night since Hurricane Sandy. Thank G-d we have power back and no major damage! It has been a rough couple of weeks with the food though. I'll include that in my history below.

I stopped eating flour and sugar nearly 3 years ago (maybe 4), since then, there has been a slow progression in improving my eating patterns. I should also mention that I have a history of binge eating. 2 years ago, I began weighing and measuring my food intake, but was eating huge amounts of veggies, some fruit, as well as grains, dairy, meat, etc. Eating this way, allowed me to drop 25 lbs, then I stalled. 1 1/2 years ago, I started eating paleo, hoping to break the stall- no grains, very little fruit, still lots of veggies, protein, but no dairy. However, eating paleo did not break my stall. Then I moved to Rosedale- not very different, but different ratios- however there was no guide for how much veggies/fats to eat....so I ate...because that is something I'm very good at. I managed to gain 5lbs :-( We took a summer trip abroad this summer and through almost all of the food restrictions out...except for flour and sugar (which I hope to never touch again). Starting about 1 month ago, I started to think about NK...I added dairy back in and did it pretty rigidly for about 4 days, then the hurricane came and we decided to leave home to visit family. I currently live in NY, and my family lives in Arkansas. I also happen to eat a kosher diet, so I don't eat meat and dairy together and I don't eat pork. The only problem, is that it is hard for me to get certain foods when I am in Arkansas. I did bring 4 pkgs of cream cheese with me, but it didn't last that long. I fell back on old faithful....peanut butter!!! Ack! I love the stuff...too much. At first, it started out slow, then it progressed to about 1/3 a jar a day (the kind without sugar of course). Unfortunately, PB's ratios left me unsatisfied..too little protein, too many carbs. I didn't weigh/measure myself at all while we were gone and now I am at that TOM...so I will wait until next week. However, I won't be surprised if I didn't lose at all or even gained a bit.

I hope NK will help me break my 1 1/2 yr. long stall, and that I won't need to eliminate dairy. I try to keep my protein at around 50g, and carbs at around 20g, filling the rest w/fat up to around 1500 cals. I find that salt has been a crucial component to my diet. I haven't begun supplementing w/potassium or magnesium...but I salt heavily and I found that really helped me feel better. Thank G-d I don't feel any kind of carb flu b/c of the amount of time I have been off of them. I do have a harder time eating smaller quantities....thank goodness for romaine lettuce and it's low carb count :-)

Today, I started off with my usual NK breakfast, and hope to maintain my NK abstinence , at least for today.

I ordered the free meter, but not sure if it came yet....my mail is being delivered today (incidentally, I can't wait to see all the catalogs...yay!)

I also wanted to just say, that this thread was soo so helpful for me while I was gone, I read it daily and looked forward to all the posts. I am looking forward to posting more regularly!
I'm so glad that you're back home and safe! And thanks for the update--it sounds like you made the best choices under the circumstances. You'll be back in the swing of things before you know it.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #385
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Ugh!!!! I ate the proper ratios of foods today...a bit higher on the carbs and protein than I like and way high on the fat (and calories)...I probably hit 2000 calories easily. I had a hard time feeling hungry today...sometimes I can deal with the hunger...but not today. But, I did not eat PB! I am looking forward to not feeling hungry all the time...hopefully that day is coming.

Sophie
Old 11-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #386
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bobbin
WOE: High fat, moderate protein, low carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Don't feel stupid! It's not common by any means. It stands for Medium Chain Triglycerides. It's essentially the primary type of fat in coconut oil. Unlike CO, it remains a liquid at cooler temps like a regular oil. I've never seen it in a grocery store or anything; I've only ever bought it online.
Is it the same thing then to just eat CO? curious because I have that of course
Old 11-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #387
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Just coming back to check in again and say hello to all the other new NKers!

My free Precision Xtra meter arrived today - much, much faster than I ever dreamed it would. I was embarrassingly excited to see that the package just delivered by FedEx was the meter and not something work related. But, I quickly had a bit of a let down once I opened the box and realized that the 10 free strips that it comes with....are glucose strips and not ketone strips. I should have known that it was too good to be true! I'm sure I just misread the website and wishful thinking took over a little. But anyway, I decided to order a box of 10 ketone strips from a Canadian pharmacy and use the glucose strips as a way to get used to the meter and overcome my anxiety about sticking my finger.

After having dinner (which consisted of about 8oz of chicken, 1/2 cup of green beans, some sour cream, and two squares of 72% dark chocolate), I sat down to read the instructions and work up the courage to do my first blood glucose test an hour after eating. My husband and son were cracking up at how scared I was and told me I had turned green. (I doubt it.) After all that build up, I could barely even tell when my fingertip had been pricked. I thought the lancet thing had messed up until I saw the little blood drop start to appear. I did not do the first strip correctly...not sure why...but I put in a fresh strip and confidently stuck the finger again. I got a reading of 81, which I thought seemed outstanding for an hour after eating. But I'm not diabetic, so I guess that's normal. Then I tested again another hour later and got a 74. Now I feel like an old pro and can't WAIT for my ketone strips to get here!!

In other news, I think I have completely passed through the "yuck" phase of adjusting to ketosis because I haven't had the overpowering afternoon sleepiness and weakness for a few days now. I'm definitely not hungry most of the time, which is such a blessing because I used to be ravenous almost constantly. My scale weight isn't budging but I can tell a huge difference in the way I feel and in the way my clothes fit. Surely a whoosh is just around the corner??

Also, I got some "super magnesium" from GNC today because I've noticed some bathroom...changes within the past week or so. Not totally constipated but I can tell a difference, without venturing into TMI land. I hope it was a good choice (the kind of magnesium in it did end in "ate" rather than "oxide"). Does anyone have an estimation on approximately how long it takes for the daily supplementation of magnesium to start helping?

Thanks for reading and for everyone posting so much helpful info every day!!
Old 11-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #388
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Hi to All!
MerryKate, I don't test with the strips, just try to eat in plan. On a eggs and meat kick right now while my tummy is rebelling. I agree on the stall due to hormones...trying to wait on that saliva test for BHRT. Great to hear from you!
Kristn, can you post the recipe for LC stuffing? My family wants to stay on LC plan, the turkey is the easy part, I buy it smoked!
Risa, humm, may have to try that MCT oil after all.
Sophie, soooo good to hear you are back home in NY! Hope you will get back to routine soon.
Great news Jilly! getting well and losing!
Cathy, how funny, not being a huge fan of Tgiving, I am not really either. Our big family gathers at Christmas time. Lots of cooking, then football, then the tree starts to go up if the DDs are at home.
I agree with more calories....everytime I go too low, I end up bouncing a day or so later.
Judy, thanks for the pumpkin bake...sounds like a good addition to T'giving Day.
I need to order the swerve, truvia doesn't quite get sweet enough in some recipes, doesn't disolve well either!
Unstrung, the mag should start working within a day or so. I find the best results are with food in the morning, and another dose about an hour after eating in the evening. helps with sleep for some too.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:09 AM   #389
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
Ugh!!!! I ate the proper ratios of foods today...a bit higher on the carbs and protein than I like and way high on the fat (and calories)...I probably hit 2000 calories easily. I had a hard time feeling hungry today...sometimes I can deal with the hunger...but not today. But, I did not eat PB! I am looking forward to not feeling hungry all the time...hopefully that day is coming.
Yeah for not eating PB! It takes time to get back in the groove--keep eating all that lovely fat and you will get there before you know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnstrungHarp View Post

My free Precision Xtra meter arrived today - much, much faster than I ever dreamed it would. I was embarrassingly excited to see that the package just delivered by FedEx was the meter and not something work related. But, I quickly had a bit of a let down once I opened the box and realized that the 10 free strips that it comes with....are glucose strips and not ketone strips. I should have known that it was too good to be true! I'm sure I just misread the website and wishful thinking took over a little. But anyway, I decided to order a box of 10 ketone strips from a Canadian pharmacy and use the glucose strips as a way to get used to the meter and overcome my anxiety about sticking my finger.
<snip.
Now I feel like an old pro and can't WAIT for my ketone strips to get here!!
Only the free Nova meter comes with a few ketone strips. It's sounds like you're over the finer sticking anxiety and hopefully your ketone strips will arrive soon!

Quote:
In other news, I think I have completely passed through the "yuck" phase of adjusting to ketosis because I haven't had the overpowering afternoon sleepiness and weakness for a few days now. I'm definitely not hungry most of the time, which is such a blessing because I used to be ravenous almost constantly. My scale weight isn't budging but I can tell a huge difference in the way I feel and in the way my clothes fit. Surely a whoosh is just around the corner??
Doesn't it feel great to get beyond the adjustment phase? I'm sure you'll see the whoosh you're waiting for very soon!

Quote:
Also, I got some "super magnesium" from GNC today because I've noticed some bathroom...changes within the past week or so. Not totally constipated but I can tell a difference, without venturing into TMI land. I hope it was a good choice (the kind of magnesium in it did end in "ate" rather than "oxide"). Does anyone have an estimation on approximately how long it takes for the daily supplementation of magnesium to start helping?
I think it should happen fairly quickly (within a few days).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Kristn, can you post the recipe for LC stuffing? My family wants to stay on LC plan, the turkey is the easy part, I buy it smoked!
I have used Suzanne Somer's mushroom sausage stuffing recipe for years. But it may be too much protein for me now and I am looking around for a new one.

I have always given myself a pass on Thanksgiving to eat as much LC food as I wanted and not count the carbs as long as I didn't eat any "real" carby Thanksgiving food.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 11-14-2012, 07:13 AM   #390
Major LCF Poster!

American Diabetes Wholesale Sale!

American Diabetes Wholesale is having a 10% off sale until midnight pacific time today (11/14). The coupon code is: WDD2012
Closed Thread