Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #331
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catjrow3
Stats: 240/177/150
WOE: NK - LCHF
Start Date: 05/18/2013 (restart of course)
Hey everyone, I think I am attempting to go to this WOE! I had decided to try Atkins again. Never had much luck with it in the past, have a hard time staying on it as well... a bit of history then some questions...

I am 41 (42 in 1.5 weeks)..pre-menopausal.. (unfortunately)haha. Anyway... In 2008 I was 240 lbs, started Nutrisystems actually lost like 85 lbs or so... and plateaued for forever... started changing up things then... I tried all kinds of different diets after a year or so.. and then did HCG... UGH! With that, I dropped to my lowest ever of 145... it was great, that whole 5 seconds that it lasted. I immediately started back up and could not stop it... I gained back to where I hang out now... anywhere in the 170s... worst case low 180s for a day or two... anyway... I exercise alot (probably way too much)... and for the last couple weeks trying to tone that back a bit. Now I am lifting heavy 4 times a week, HIIT sprinting 2 times a week, 1 long cardio and 2 classes of kickboxing a week... this is tons less cardio especially than normal. Anyway. losing is sooo hard for me now. My body just holds on for dear life!!

Read about NK and too much protein right after I started ATkins again... and have been reading in spurts since then to get some information. I have been eating high fat/lower protein and low carbs from veges (no white bread, no sugars, no wheat bread, etc) for several days now. I have been like 75% fat (very very hard for me to do) and then like 10-12% on the other two. I ordered a blood meter last week. It will be here on Wednesday... okay... so hopefully thats most of my history up to now..

1. With the blood ketones.. do I measure first thing in the morning, fasting?
2. What do you all eat??? I have the fat bombs, I am drinking "cream" shakes... I am still eating my salads, using lots of avocado. I have been eating about 2300 calories for the 4 or so days. (still losing those days, but this could stop abruptly at any time)... no fruits either (although I miss them) and I made yogurt with heavy cream.... OMG! A calorie bomb, but pretty good really!
3. Does anyone lose much on this diet? I really need to lose about 30 lbs. Of course, I would love for it to be fast, but consistent will work too... as long as I see progress so I dont derail!
4. What happens if you do derail and have sugar or bread or something. How long does it take to get back into NK? Does it make you gain insanely quick like I did after cheating on HCG?

Okay, think that starts my questions, I am sure I will have tons more!!! Glad to "meet" you all...

Last edited by catjrow3; 11-12-2012 at 01:48 PM..

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #332
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Cathy! The first page of this thread here has links and information that you may find helpful starting out with NK.

In answer to your questions:
  • I test ketones fasted in the morning. If you're sticking to the eating guidelines this should be the lowest reading of the day. So if you're above .5 then you're in NK. Some people have tested throughout the day. The strips are expensive so I stick to morning.
  • There is a link on the first page of this thread to the daily menu thread which has some ideas of what people are eating.
  • If you look up a few posts (here) I layed out my LC and NK story. I have lost 25 pounds to goal eating this way after a long stall.
  • Everyone is different as to how long it takes them to get back into ketosis. I was out for 5 days after my vacation and I didn't actually "cheat" at any point, I just ate too much protein.

I hope that helps!
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 11-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #333
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by risajs View Post
I am wondering how ya'll use the feedback from BG testing. I have the free strips that came with my Nova Max, but I never really gave any thought to them. Do you find a correlation between them and ketone level? Do you test fasted and/or other times? How does the feedback impact your WOE?

Thanks.
I have been tracking mine but I'm not sure what it all means. I do notice that higher ketones usually correspond to a lower BG level.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #334
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
I am the worst at remembering the "facts" but it seems I read somewhere that with NK, keeping BG lower results in better weight loss but I might just be dreaming that up. To me though, it makes sense. Before I found out I had diabetes, I COULD NOT lose weight, then once they put me on meds, whic reduced my BG, I lost 30 lbs easily. Now, I am chipping away at the rest.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #335
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
Originally Posted by catjrow3 View Post
4. What happens if you do derail and have sugar or bread or something. How long does it take to get back into NK? Does it make you gain insanely quick like I did after cheating on HCG? .
Welcome Cathy nice to see you here! Not as bad a gain but still plenty of water weight. And I remember you are very prone to that so I"m not sure. However, your metabolism will be higher with NK cause it's not low calorie.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #336
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you Paula, good points. I am hoping to not "cheat" but .... Are you doing NK too Paula? HOw is that working for you?

Thanks Kristen. I have read those threads on the front and looked at some of the menus... read as much as I could through it all. Thanks about the testing. I thought morning made the most sense...but another question, what if you are not in the morning, but are later in the day... that would seem to be "Not in NK" but I could be wrong? I think you would need to be at the lowest point of the day, yes?
Old 11-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #337
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: risajs
Hi Cathy and welcome to the board.

I've been doing NK for several months. While everyone has to find what works for them, I started with a high dairy (i.e., lots of heavy whipping cream) intake to get the fat in and recently cut way back on that. I've found that I hit ketosis easier without the dairy. To get fat in, I use more coconut oil (CO) and started on MCT oil, have a fat bomb, and eat a few macadamia nuts.

As you'll see from the discussion, some folks skip b'fast and that works great for them. I find that if I eat a pretty big b'fast (3 pieces of bacon, 1 egg, cooked in CO, and half an avocado, coffee with cream and MCT oil), I'm not hungry until about 7-8 hours later. Then, I grab a few nuts to hold me over til dinner at around 7. Dinner is 2-3 oz of a protein and a little veg with some fat, then decaf with another serving of MCT and cream. This usually keeps my cals at around 1300 or so.

I think part of the key to losing weight is making sure you eat enough to keep yourself from being hungry without consuming too many calories (which again, is a relative term).

I test ketones in the a.m., too. When I went off the keto diet to see what happened with just low-carb, it took me about 2 weeks of concerted effort since my body fights me tooth and nail to lose. I haven't yet noticed a whoosh (rapid weight loss at some point) during any NK time, but I consistently lose. I average my last 7 days each day to see if there are trends rather than focusing on any given day. I am almost always in a declining weight state even though sometimes the scales go up and down.

Best of luck to you!!!
Old 11-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #338
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thank you Paula, good points. I am hoping to not "cheat" but .... Are you doing NK too Paula? HOw is that working for you?

Thanks Kristen. I have read those threads on the front and looked at some of the menus... read as much as I could through it all. Thanks about the testing. I thought morning made the most sense...but another question, what if you are not in the morning, but are later in the day... that would seem to be "Not in NK" but I could be wrong? I think you would need to be at the lowest point of the day, yes?
I'm glad you got a chance to look at those threads. I worry sometimes that they get missed. I think that people can go in and out of ketosis throughout the day. But to be sure that you're in ketosis 24/7 testing in the a.m. seems to be the way to go.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #339
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Not doing well but it's not NKs fault. Have had a lot of "off" days...not sure why but some of it has been emotional. I did pretty well the latter part of summer when we were studying made to crave in bible study...think I prolly need some real life emotional support right now. I am talking more to family and have women's group wed, bible study tuesday (which I can't go, class that night). I think I need to plan on "reaching" out at least once a day, whether to my church folks or family. It's that 6-10pm frame time when I am most likely to get carb cravings.
2012 lowish Optimal calories, June25th 132.6/124.6/110
Old 11-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #340
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulabob View Post
Not doing well but it's not NKs fault. Have had a lot of "off" days...not sure why but some of it has been emotional. I did pretty well the latter part of summer when we were studying made to crave in bible study...think I prolly need some real life emotional support right now. I am talking more to family and have women's group wed, bible study tuesday (which I can't go, class that night). I think I need to plan on "reaching" out at least once a day, whether to my church folks or family. It's that 6-10pm frame time when I am most likely to get carb cravings.
When my husband sees me he says, "Oh. Talking to your fake online friends?"

I don't post much on this thread (I'm SHY!! ) but I think these people are such nice, supportive people. I hope you reach out everywhere.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #341
Major LCF Poster!

Oh I am terrible with carb cravings, although they are better in the last week that I have been trying Atkins/NK....

Risajs... not sure I could do as high fat without the dairy! I am not a fan of fat in general and prefer to eat!! If I can keep the calories higher, I will, but I doubt that will continue, but I can say honestly, I dont lose well on 1000 calories either... so ... I am a hard nut to crack to be sure! I will keep checking in with you ladies if you dont mind and see where I land....
Old 11-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #342
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Just popping up to say hi. Some great questions being asked - so much helpful information here! I am reading, but currently more lurking.

I'm sick (again), currently with a fever of about 100.4. I can't even imagine when I last had a fever. I think having a baby turned ME into a baby! He, BTW, is fever-free, which is good but somewhat ironic

My throat is killing me, and all I want is ice cream. I haven't had any but really can't think of anything else I want (my throat is on fire, so soup sounds like torture). Didn't go grocery shopping nor prepare any low-carb goodness to have on hand for the week since we were out of town over the weekend. Boo. Maybe I'll go make a protein shake and call it a night. I will likely be in bed by 8:30
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)
Old 11-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #343
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lindawell8
Stats: 198/198/160
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: Jan. 2012
jillybean sorry you are sick. People all around us here are getting sick. We just keep running staying ahead of it. Hope you get better real fast.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #344
Major LCF Poster!

Take care of yourself jillybean. I hope you feel better soon!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #345
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Strep Jilly?
Old 11-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #346
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
I'm sick (again), currently with a fever of about 100.4. I can't even imagine when I last had a fever. I think having a baby turned ME into a baby! He, BTW, is fever-free, which is good but somewhat ironic
My DD was home with strep today!

LOL my first was in daycare and brought EVERYTHING home. He would get a 99 degree fever, spitup once, and be well in 24 hours. Then I would be sick with 103, vomiting, etc for 3-4 days. Repeat every 3 weeks. age 4 months to 12 months was the worst! Then we moved and my DH was a SAHD for awhile, and things improved! Hope you feel better soon!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #347
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: omatic
Stats: 148/140/130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Morning!
Lots of good posts since I last checked in.
I started back on LC Sept. 3rd and have been testing ketones since about 2 weeks after that, almost consistently staying in ketosis, think I just dropped too low once. I am losing slowly but the trend is downward. I have now lost just a tiny bit over 15 lbs but people are telling me I look like I have lost more. Have lost all the puffiness that high carb can give you.
I had Reddarin help me figure out my ratios of how much protein/fat/calories to eat and have been falling right in the range of about 1500 calories, and 80/15/5. This last week, to experiment, I raised my calories and still had a loss this week. So, I am still in the learning and experimenting stage but love the fact that this is working for me and I feel good on it. Plus, it is EXCELLENT for my diabetes. My BS numbers are wonderful.
Very NICE !
Old 11-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #348
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/118/115 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
Here's my check-in:

I haven't posted in a long time, but I have been strictly on plan and, before last week, tracking everything meticulously. I currently have tracking fatigue so I'm taking a break from it for the next few weeks.

Everytime I test, I'm anywhere from .8 to 2.8, usually around 1.5, but I'm not losing. I started Atkins last spring and quickly went from the low 130s to 122, where I stayed for almost a year with very little effort (meaning eating low carb food, but not tracking anything). Early this summer, my weight started creeping up until it was in the high 120s.

This prompted me to start NK and I have been following it faithfully since the beginning of September. I did quicky lose a couple pounds to settle at 125. I have been stuck at 125 since the middle of September.

I work out with a personal trainer twice a week and was doing an additional day of weights on my own. I have eliminated that extra day, mostly because weekends have gotten busier over the last month.

I eat a mostly vegetarian diet, with occasional fish (carefully measured, of course). I wonder if this plan is just friendlier to those who get their protein from meat?

If I never lose another pound, I'm pretty happy with where I am. My stomach appears flat in clothes, though out of clothes it's a different story. My upper thighs are also problematic. There is plenty of room for improvement and plenty of women my height (5'2") who weigh far less than I do.

Not really complaining, just thought I would check in since I read the thread faithfully.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #349
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Hi everyone!
Tabis, take it slow if you decide to add the potassium. Tylenol is one of the worse meds there is, so many think it safe, it's hidden in so many OTC products. It is very dangerous, you are smart not to take it. I take Pot Gluconate, but many are fine. I make my own broth, organic chicks, with extra pink sea salt. We all have to make adjustments in our WOE, and we are all a bit different in how we lose....or stall.
Hey Joe, good to get that many steps in a day. My DH hangs the meter on the dog to get his numbers to log in!
Cathy, thanks for the stirfry. We will enjoy it. Miricle Noodles??? Hummm, wonder where I can get these in Texas?
Omatic, oh well, have to venture out now and then eh?
Hey Kristn, you were correct...the saliva test is tough! Three hours total for the four test tubes! Who would have known it takes so much work for that stuff! I mailed off today, praying this will work! Got the cortisol too. I am so stressed at work, I am expecting that one to be out of range.
Yea Risa! Great numbers.
EW, don't let that doc get to you! I have made some wonderful cheesecake like dishes for DH, cold, not frozen...! Thinking about one for Tgiving....no one wants to go off LC that day.
Hi Judy! Aren't you the other one needing hormones!!?? I am so hopeful to feel like normal again. Fake friends indeed!
Hi and Welcome Cathy from CO! I didn't used to eat much fat at all....now, well, it's just wonderful! I love my HWC and now I even eat the skin from organic baked chicken. My mother would just freak out!
Hi Paula! I wondered why you've been so quiet. You have had a rough few months. Sounds like a good plan to combat the carbs! My time is mid to late afternoons for carbs...I eat a bit of CC or 12 almonds.
Oh Jilly, likely we all stayed sick with our little sweeties! It took me three years to get a great immune system! Then DD2 my DH spent three years getting sick! Bad sore throats can be helped with Sugar Free Ricolas, the lemon and green tea ones are miracles in a drop! If that fever gets bad, the others could be right, strep is really mean. Keep a watch.
Hi Marg, sounds like you are doing good. I've been stuck at 127 forever....I am fine now too, if I never goal at 120....but I really like to accomplish my goals. But mainly I like not being hungry all the time, off the carb merry-go-round!

My "history" here...I am not a good tracker, don't measure ketones, do good to measure foods...am not very creative with new recipes, I keep it simple, with basic foods....but have figured out a lot of things and trying to make progress to get to goal. I have found out I need hormones, and that I may be sensitive to coconut products....I think all the posts here are great to help us think things out and support each other. I have learned too that I can eat fat, feel great, not gain weight, and enjoy glowing skin and hair too! I am ordering the books that most have read and during some downtime at the holidays I hope to start reading. Mostly it's a "new" way of eating that has given me incredible peace of mind and control!
Old 11-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #350
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargD View Post
Here's my check-in:

I haven't posted in a long time, but I have been strictly on plan and, before last week, tracking everything meticulously. I currently have tracking fatigue so I'm taking a break from it for the next few weeks.

Everytime I test, I'm anywhere from .8 to 2.8, usually around 1.5, but I'm not losing. I started Atkins last spring and quickly went from the low 130s to 122, where I stayed for almost a year with very little effort (meaning eating low carb food, but not tracking anything). Early this summer, my weight started creeping up until it was in the high 120s.

This prompted me to start NK and I have been following it faithfully since the beginning of September. I did quicky lose a couple pounds to settle at 125. I have been stuck at 125 since the middle of September.

I work out with a personal trainer twice a week and was doing an additional day of weights on my own. I have eliminated that extra day, mostly because weekends have gotten busier over the last month.

I eat a mostly vegetarian diet, with occasional fish (carefully measured, of course). I wonder if this plan is just friendlier to those who get their protein from meat?

If I never lose another pound, I'm pretty happy with where I am. My stomach appears flat in clothes, though out of clothes it's a different story. My upper thighs are also problematic. There is plenty of room for improvement and plenty of women my height (5'2") who weigh far less than I do.

Not really complaining, just thought I would check in since I read the thread faithfully.
Thanks for letting us know how things are going MargD! I'm curious, how many protein/carb/fat grams are you eating?
Old 11-12-2012, 11:17 PM   #351
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Oh I am terrible with carb cravings, although they are better in the last week that I have been trying Atkins/NK....
FWIW, I was having the same problem - carb cravings every night, and never wanting to stop eating - until I started NK. I went through a mini "Atkin's flu" again for a few days when I started on it, but since that time I've had very little appetite. If I didn't have someone encouraging me to eat breakfast and dinner I'd probably skip both meals, which is a weird experience after a lifetime of struggling to not eat at night.

All of which is to say, be patient - it may take a bit of time to get properly into nutritional ketosis - but you will get there.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:29 PM   #352
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
My turn to de-lurk for an update. I've been doing the NK thing for 5 weeks, and lost 4 lbs in the first 3 wks (after months of stalls ). The last 2 weeks I haven't seen much movement on the scale due to hormones, which is annoying as all get-out. Unlike everyone else, I don't use the ketone meter (I can't afford the test strips), so I'm sticking to the plan and hoping for the best.

Despite my recalcitrant scale, I've had a number of comments on my weight loss this week, and my jeans are looser, which is always a hopeful sign. All the success stories on here give me inspiration and encouragement when I'm sick of eggs and can't look another TB of coconut oil in the face.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:34 AM   #353
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/118/115 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Thanks for letting us know how things are going MargD! I'm curious, how many protein/carb/fat grams are you eating?
Protein is typically between 50 and 54 grams and carbs are 20 to 25 net. For fat, I've only paid attention to the percentage and that is typically in the low 70 percent range. If I was at home I could tell you the typical fat grams, but I'm at work, so I can't be as precise.

Thanks for asking.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:11 AM   #354
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for sharing your NK stories, strategies, triumphs, and struggles--keep 'em coming! And thanks for delurking to check-in MargD and MerryKate. I know there are other lurkers out there--we'd love to hear how things are going!

With Thanksgiving coming up next week I was wondering how people are planning to handle it? I have never gone off LC for Thanksgiving since I started Atkins in 2001, but I know that a lot of people do. NK is different and I wonder how it's going to go. We are having dinner at our good friends' home and I'm bringing green beans and sugar-free pumpkin cheesecake so far. I normally make LC stuffing, sugar-free cranberries, etc to go with the meal but I don't want to overwhelm my friends and barge in with our food. Turkey is easy, but everything else is a minefield. They know that I'm LC so hopefully I won't have to explain myself too much.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:13 AM   #355
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: risajs
For all those concerned with the issue:

2 cups of coffee + 3/4 Tbsp of MCT oil = no constipation

Just sayin'.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:34 AM   #356
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Hello everyone!!!! I am so happy to be back on my regular computer at my home!! What little posting I have done has been from my phone- which I dislike typing on. We came back home last night since Hurricane Sandy. Thank G-d we have power back and no major damage! It has been a rough couple of weeks with the food though. I'll include that in my history below.

I stopped eating flour and sugar nearly 3 years ago (maybe 4), since then, there has been a slow progression in improving my eating patterns. I should also mention that I have a history of binge eating. 2 years ago, I began weighing and measuring my food intake, but was eating huge amounts of veggies, some fruit, as well as grains, dairy, meat, etc. Eating this way, allowed me to drop 25 lbs, then I stalled. 1 1/2 years ago, I started eating paleo, hoping to break the stall- no grains, very little fruit, still lots of veggies, protein, but no dairy. However, eating paleo did not break my stall. Then I moved to Rosedale- not very different, but different ratios- however there was no guide for how much veggies/fats to eat....so I ate...because that is something I'm very good at. I managed to gain 5lbs :-( We took a summer trip abroad this summer and through almost all of the food restrictions out...except for flour and sugar (which I hope to never touch again). Starting about 1 month ago, I started to think about NK...I added dairy back in and did it pretty rigidly for about 4 days, then the hurricane came and we decided to leave home to visit family. I currently live in NY, and my family lives in Arkansas. I also happen to eat a kosher diet, so I don't eat meat and dairy together and I don't eat pork. The only problem, is that it is hard for me to get certain foods when I am in Arkansas. I did bring 4 pkgs of cream cheese with me, but it didn't last that long. I fell back on old faithful....peanut butter!!! Ack! I love the stuff...too much. At first, it started out slow, then it progressed to about 1/3 a jar a day (the kind without sugar of course). Unfortunately, PB's ratios left me unsatisfied..too little protein, too many carbs. I didn't weigh/measure myself at all while we were gone and now I am at that TOM...so I will wait until next week. However, I won't be surprised if I didn't lose at all or even gained a bit.

I hope NK will help me break my 1 1/2 yr. long stall, and that I won't need to eliminate dairy. I try to keep my protein at around 50g, and carbs at around 20g, filling the rest w/fat up to around 1500 cals. I find that salt has been a crucial component to my diet. I haven't begun supplementing w/potassium or magnesium...but I salt heavily and I found that really helped me feel better. Thank G-d I don't feel any kind of carb flu b/c of the amount of time I have been off of them. I do have a harder time eating smaller quantities....thank goodness for romaine lettuce and it's low carb count :-)

Today, I started off with my usual NK breakfast, and hope to maintain my NK abstinence , at least for today.

I ordered the free meter, but not sure if it came yet....my mail is being delivered today (incidentally, I can't wait to see all the catalogs...yay!)

I also wanted to just say, that this thread was soo so helpful for me while I was gone, I read it daily and looked forward to all the posts. I am looking forward to posting more regularly!
Old 11-13-2012, 07:44 AM   #357
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
I also wanted to just say, that this thread was soo so helpful for me while I was gone, I read it daily and looked forward to all the posts. I am looking forward to posting more regularly!
I am glad you are back home. It's so much easier to manage our food at home and so difficult around friends & family!

I just wanted to say - I agree 100% The thread started by Kristn and continued by her is one of the most instructive things on the internet. She has very specifically helped people tweak their numbers and every time she does, we all learn a little more. It's one thing to do it yourself, quite another to give your time and attention to so many others.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #358
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lindawell8
Stats: 198/198/160
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: Jan. 2012
Please would somebody tell me what MCT oil is. O know I am going to feel stupid when you tell me. But after reading one of the threads I need it. Thank you.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #359
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
My fever broke later last night, and now I'm just left with a sore throat. I keep taking Tylenol, which I think helped with the fever, and I'm afraid to stop taking it for fear of my throat feeling worse! I'm working from home today to avoid infecting my coworkers, and I brought Mr. Baby to daycare even though I'm home because I'd rather not keep him exposed to, well, me! He's still on antibiotics, so hopefully he'll skip this round of whatever I've got. Though my husband said his throat was starting to hurt this morning...

So, diet has been all over the place. I'm always low in carbs as far as avoiding the obvious things like pastas, rice, bread, potatoes, sweets, etc., but we spent the weekend at my mom's, who eats low in fat And then yesterday, I caved and had one of my husband's yogurt smoothies. 40g carbs in one serving! I stepped on the scale this morning knowing that 199.5 I'd seen last week couldn't possibly still be there. And it wasn't. Nope, the scale today said 199 even I give up trying to understand my body
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulabob View Post
My DD was home with strep today!

LOL my first was in daycare and brought EVERYTHING home. He would get a 99 degree fever, spitup once, and be well in 24 hours. Then I would be sick with 103, vomiting, etc for 3-4 days. Repeat every 3 weeks. age 4 months to 12 months was the worst! Then we moved and my DH was a SAHD for awhile, and things improved! Hope you feel better soon!
Most of my friends/family with little ones are saying it's the worst the first year and will get better after that. I hope that's true - he's been in daycare for nearly 7 months now (since he was 6 weeks old). He's had two colds in that time, and I'm on my third! Assuming that's all this is that I have now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MargD View Post
hmm, I would think not eating meat would make it easier to not overload on protein. I'm always reaching for chicken, beef, sausage, etc., and the protein adds up quickly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
Despite my recalcitrant scale, I've had a number of comments on my weight loss this week, and my jeans are looser, which is always a hopeful sign. All the success stories on here give me inspiration and encouragement when I'm sick of eggs and can't look another TB of coconut oil in the face.
Bonus points for using "recalcitrant" in casual conversation
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
With Thanksgiving coming up next week I was wondering how people are planning to handle it? I have never gone off LC for Thanksgiving since I started Atkins in 2001, but I know that a lot of people do. NK is different and I wonder how it's going to go. We are having dinner at our good friends' home and I'm bringing green beans and sugar-free pumpkin cheesecake so far. I normally make LC stuffing, sugar-free cranberries, etc to go with the meal but I don't want to overwhelm my friends and barge in with our food. Turkey is easy, but everything else is a minefield. They know that I'm LC so hopefully I won't have to explain myself too much.
We do a family activity/outing on Thanksgiving Day and then have our big dinner on Friday at our house. I've done this for a few years now, and it's so much less stressful to not have everyone trying to juggle multiple families the same day. I'm thinking my menu will shape up something along these lines:
  • some sort of stuffed turkey breast
  • fresh cranberry sauce (no sugar added)
  • mashed cauliflower
  • green beans
  • broccoli cheese casserole
  • creamy spinach bake thingy (I forget what its real name is)
  • possibly baby zucchinis - I'm so in love with them right now because they're cute :P
  • possibly spaghetti squash - depends on my mood, as it's more labor intensive than I'm always willing to deal with!
I'll do sliced cheeses, pepperonis, and deviled eggs for appetizers, and likely a low-carb cheesecake for dessert. And probably an apple pie since that's my husband's favorite, but I'll just by a frozen one!

I really need a low-carb stuffing replacement. I have always LOVED stuffing, but I want to stay completely grain-free.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #360
Major LCF Poster!

MCT oil is medium chain triglycerides (or coconut oil really)...

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Day 6 of NK... the first 4 days were Atkins with high protein... and I am still losing so far... I am hoping it does not stop!!!

I would love the SF pumpkin cheesecake recipe... will that work for the NK eating? I am not a huge fan of thanksgiving except the dessert and the bread... which I will not be eating. I can eat a little turkey, and I will eat salad... this is my normal for T-day anyway... but the pumpkin cheesecake sounds good!

Meter should be here tomorrow but really wont be able to check my BK until Thursday morning, but want to know if I am in NK or not... sometimes on the ketostix I am in ketosis and sometimes not and it varies throughout the day!

Does anyone exercise much? I find with my higher cardio activities I am tanking before I get through it. Last night I had turbo kickboxing at the gym and I was about to die after about 40 minutes... I think lack of carbs??? anyone else??

Also, I see the lower calories, and I get this, but mine are up right now and I dont want to lower them unless I have to... Did anyone else start out high and then have to lower after a week or so..? or did everyone start out lower calories? Mine are right around 2100-2300 right now.. (now I exercise most everyday with weight lifting and some cardio) but I really need to lose 30+ lbs... but the scale is still moving down right now, I think just because my body likes not having carbs...

Also, does anyone eat fruit ever???
Closed Thread