Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 07:44 AM   #271
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Ella I saw that Jimmy Moore post, too, and found it interesting. I have somehow (although I am in ketosis) let that slip past me - that we might need more time between eating to let our body make its own ketones.

Buffy isn't that amazing??? These doctors know the effect of any carbohydrate. And somehow they'll recommend "healthy whole grains." Which is a misnomer...

I realize beliefs are hard to change, but I wish the docs were the ones promoting this healthy way of eating.
Here is my eating pattern. Eat around noonish, then around 6pm, so only 6 hours between that meal, but then, I usually go until noon the next day before eating again. Wonder if I should switch that up or if that 18 hour fast will suffice

Yes, the doctors are leaning more and more LC but yet scared to totally commit, it seems to me. Still touting the lots of fruits, veggies and whole grains. And, that works for some.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2012, 07:46 AM   #272
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Here is my eating pattern. Eat around noonish, then around 6pm, so only 6 hours between that meal, but then, I usually go until noon the next day before eating again. Wonder if I should switch that up or if that 18 hour fast will suffice

Yes, the doctors are leaning more and more LC but yet scared to totally commit, it seems to me. Still touting the lots of fruits, veggies and whole grains. And, that works for some.
Buffy I think your ketone levels have shown your way of eating is successful for your body, right?
Old 11-11-2012, 07:46 AM   #273
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thinking_thinly
Stats: 250/145/140
WOE: Paleo-ish
Start Date: Nov 15, 2012
Bahhhhh! I am UP 2 pounds from yesterday.... water rentention? I only ate 1500 calories yesterday and was at 52 carbs.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:49 AM   #274
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeatinger View Post
Phillip- one thing that might be an issue- dairy? One thing with this diet is that it can have a lot of it. I didn't have stomach issues but suspect some intolerance and have been trying to go dairy free- not that easy (love me my cream cheese- any cheese really!) but not impossible.
Yes, as soon as I started getting these I stopped eating the greek yogurt. Then a bit later stopped putting blue cheese in my salad. At that time I did not happen to be eating any butter. So I think I was dairy-free for at least a week during the affliction.

The only thing that seem to help was eating less at a meal.

I think I am going to tentatively blame the cheap (rotting?) avocados and/or call it a transition in gut biota. Possibly also impacted by a stomach virus? This morning I ate 3 sausages and scrambled eggs made with 6 yolks and 3 whites and HWC cooked in butter. Also some pork rinds. No issues yet. Although it has not quite been one hour.

--
Phillip
Old 11-11-2012, 07:53 AM   #275
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thinking_thinly
Stats: 250/145/140
WOE: Paleo-ish
Start Date: Nov 15, 2012
Also I "excersized" which meant I spent yesterday deep cleaning the house to music, so I was dancing and groovin while spritzin and cleanin.... but nothing super intense
Old 11-11-2012, 07:54 AM   #276
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablis View Post
Ok thanks I actually have leg cramps that keep my up sometimes.
I'm just wondering do you- or anyone- happen to know if its ok to take potassium if you have low blood pressure? I'm not on any meds. I have low blood pressure and once in awhile if i'm not careful to drink enough I get light headed and even faint. Since potassium is good for high blood pressure I wonder if its safe for me. I tried googling and haven't found a clear answer.
if i speak with my dr. he'll tell me to eat more carbs...
I did see something on a google search that one of the syptoms of low potassium is "Fainting due to low blood pressure." If you're worried about supplementing could you ask your doctor to test your potassium?

I also have a problem with low blood pressure and light headedness. Do you take extra salt? I drink 1/2 tsp of sea salt in broth every day and that seems to help.

Also, my blood pressure has gotten better since my thyroid medication has been optimized.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:55 AM   #277
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Buffy I think your ketone levels have shown your way of eating is successful for your body, right?
Well, I feel it is. Someone who was concerned with quicker weight loss probably would be unhappy, but, we have discussed that.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #278
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinking_thinly View Post
Bahhhhh! I am UP 2 pounds from yesterday.... water rentention? I only ate 1500 calories yesterday and was at 52 carbs.
Most of us experience the weight bounce from day to day. I always tell people, you can weigh every day if you wish, I do it too, but try to pick one day a week to log your weight or post it, I do in my siggy here. Then, over time you look for a downward trend. If you see that, you know what you are doing is working. Mine if very slow, but I am not real strick as far as eating very simply, so I figure that might slow me down some. But, I like to make a lot of the LC friends recipes and I am ok with slower loss and more variety. It just takes a while to work out your plan.

A good test, at least for me, to see if it is water retention, is to see if my wedding rings are tight? They normally fit just fine, if I put them on and they seem tight, then I know I am retaining some fluid from something I ate, or, could be hormonal.

At first, it is hard not to be anxious over each up and down, you are trying to hard to get it right and each little bump concerns you.

Hand in there
Old 11-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #279
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Weight fluctuation is pretty normal, it's the overall trend that's really important.

That being said, 52 carbs seems kind of high for this WOE, what is your daily carb goal?
Old 11-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #280
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKSL55 View Post
Yes, as soon as I started getting these I stopped eating the greek yogurt. Then a bit later stopped putting blue cheese in my salad. At that time I did not happen to be eating any butter. So I think I was dairy-free for at least a week during the affliction.

The only thing that seem to help was eating less at a meal.

I think I am going to tentatively blame the cheap (rotting?) avocados and/or call it a transition in gut biota. Possibly also impacted by a stomach virus? This morning I ate 3 sausages and scrambled eggs made with 6 yolks and 3 whites and HWC cooked in butter. Also some pork rinds. No issues yet. Although it has not quite been one hour.

--
Phillip
Sounds like it is going to be a trial and error for you to find the reason. Or, like mine, it might just go away on it's own. Or, another reason mine might have gone away. I found out that I had been fighting off a UTI and was having the tummy aches during that time. Once I got on an antibiotic for the UTI, the tummy aches went away. Perhaps you have a low grade infection going on somewhere in your body? So many possibilities, it gets complicated. I was about ready to go get tested for H Pylori, which can cause stomach distress, but then it resolved.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:05 AM   #281
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Happy November, Fat Burners!

Here is my latest update, in case anyone is curious.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:07 AM   #282
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I know everyone will tell you this: don't focus much on any one weighing. The way I have tracked my weight since college is to record the day to day weight but also calculate a 7 day average weight. So, each day I put a new weight in the book and calculate what my average weight for the past 7 days has been. Then I graph the averages. If they are trending down -- great. It will just be a matter of time. I think of these as a "moving window average" -- with the window in this case being 7 days wide.

I have seen someone go up to 30 day windows. The idea is that way you are not fixating on minor changes that might mean nothing other than you drank a little more water prior to weighing yourself one day than another. Instead you are focused on the big picture.

If you like computers, you can do this in a spreadsheet program like google docs or open office. But if you don't, a paper notebook with graph paper pages works fine too.

Hang in there!

--
Phillip
Old 11-11-2012, 08:07 AM   #283
Big Yapper!!!!

Hi Rebecca, good to see you! Glad you are doing so well!
Old 11-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #284
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Sounds like it is going to be a trial and error for you to find the reason. Or, like mine, it might just go away on it's own. Or, another reason mine might have gone away. I found out that I had been fighting off a UTI and was having the tummy aches during that time. Once I got on an antibiotic for the UTI, the tummy aches went away. Perhaps you have a low grade infection going on somewhere in your body? So many possibilities, it gets complicated. I was about ready to go get tested for H Pylori, which can cause stomach distress, but then it resolved.
Thanks. I am cautiously optimistic that this has passed for me. Might be an NK thing for some of us though.

Just in passing, another weird thing was that exercise dampened the pain almost immediately. By my third set of squats all GI symptoms were gone. But they would return about an hour after my next meal.

I am not a physiologist, but I could not help but think that my body might be storing acid against some future need (a 1000 cal workout) in my upper GI. But I don't remember anything about metabolism needing acid for any critical step. The process is literally a controlled burning "redox". So nothing that I can nail down as likely.

--
Phillip
Old 11-11-2012, 08:30 AM   #285
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
Happy November, Fat Burners!

Here is my latest update, in case anyone is curious.
Hi Rebecca! Thanks for posting an update. How awesome that you're so close to goal!
Old 11-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #286
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: risajs

I hear ya! me, too. My carbs were about 25 and that was a high day for me. Just about that TOM will do it every time here. Stick with the plan and it all levels out (then eventually drops).
Old 11-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #287
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone!
As I suspected, wine tasting (combined with a higher-than-normal protein dinner) knocked me out of ketosis this am. My reading was .3. I did have fun though, and don't regret it at all.

Interesting reading on Jimmy Moore's blog about his experiences with NK. Thanks for the quote Ella! I highly recommend reading the whole series with the caution that each of us is different in how NK works for us. I have never had success with IF, but I do feel that I've been able to create "meals" that are primarily fat that have helped me to succeed with NK. I do think Jimmy may be on to something in that if you're eating 3 meals and multiple snacks that contain some protein and carbs along with fat that you may not be giving your body enough time to start ketone production. Along those same lines, if you're eating enough total energy for your body's needs and are not in a deficit then your body doesn't need to use its own fat for energy. Everyone is going to be different in their needs based on age, body composition, and activity level. If you haven't read The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance I highly recommend it! Although I do hope that Phinney and Volek put out a book soon with more specific recommendations on how to use NK for weight loss.

My own experience is that at 49, ~23% BF, 150 pounds, and moderately active I find that around 2000 to 2300 total calories (energy) a day while keeping protein moderate and carbs low seems to work to stay in NK and maintain my weight.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 11-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #288
Big Yapper!!!!

I want to buy a book called:

NK for dummies! All the science stuff give me brain freeze, which I prefer to get from LC frozen goodies.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #289
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: One maur time
WOE: Atkins, lchf, nk
Start Date: 01/15/2011
Dear Clackey
My experience with CO is that it has great appetite suppressing qualities - I am more willing to cut corners with cheese and high fat dairy.
Maureen
Old 11-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #290
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
This is very interesting information, thanks for posting it! I have not tested very much after working out but now I can see how a hard workout would lower your blood ketones because they're being used for energy.
Hi Kristn,
Okay, here is how I would calculate it. First the simple version -- presume my body is not generating any additional ketone bodies during exercise, nor using blood glucose or other energy. How much energy does a shift of 1.5 mM betahydroxybutyrate (BHB) represent?

According to the calculator at easycalculation (must not link, has some adverts) my blood volume should be about 6.4 liters. "mM" is mmol (millimoles) per liter. So I converted 6.4 l * 1.5 mmol/l = 9.6 mmol of BHB.

Now, what is the caloric content of BHB? Hmm, not finding that easily. Eh, I'll just assume it is like pyruvate -- half a glucose. 686 kcal/mol for glucose. So roughly 343 kcal/mol. 0.01 mol of BHB would be a whopping 3.4 kcals!

Hilarious. Even if there was an equal amount of acetoacetate you are looking at 7 Calories.

Same thing with blood glucose, though. Say you drop from 100 mM to 80 mM during a strenuous workout. That is only about 13 mmol (0.013 mol) of glucose. About 10 Calories or so.

So the simple story isn't even remotely capable of explaining the situation!

--
Phillip
Old 11-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #291
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
This ^ answered my earlier question about intermittent fasting. It has always made sense to me that there needs to be opportunities for the body to use stored body fat and it would make sense that that would happen when dietary fat is not available (having been digested and 'used up').

Having longer periods between eating times would seem to make the opportunity to use stored body fat more likely. Although I am not sure how this translates in terms of ketosis levels...????

Last edited by clackley; 11-11-2012 at 10:50 AM..
Old 11-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #292
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKSL55 View Post
Same thing with blood glucose, though. Say you drop from 100 mM to 80 mM during a strenuous workout. That is only about 13 mmol (0.013 mol) of glucose. About 10 Calories or so.

--
Phillip
Sorry, that should 80-100 mg/dL! About 4-6 mM is a normal BG reading. Doesn't change the main point -- fuel in your blood is getting circulated, taken up by tissues, burnt and waste products (CO2, mainly) sent back to the lungs for disposal. Calculating the amount of fuel in the pipe at anyone time tells you very little about the overall energy being utilized.

--
Phillip
Old 11-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #293
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JoeEO
Ketones

My deep thought of the week which is as follows:

'"Eating makes me hungry" -

Though it seems antithetical it really is the case. Then I read this quote from Jimmy Moore about people struggling with ketosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaP View Post
When I’ve inquired about what people are eating when they are getting these low readings, I see one commonality–they tend to eat three meals plus snacks. [/I]
Very true....my ketone level and satiety didn't take off until I started skipping breakfast. It makes sense as ingesting proteins and carbs increases blood glucose and inhibits the production of ketones.

My other two deep thought are similar:

Eating early in the day makes me hungry
Eating often makes me hungry

I worked from home on Saturday starting at 1:45 AM (not typical). I woke up really hungry, had a protein shake (with coconut milk and mct oil) at 4:00 am and a couple bullet-proof coffees but the flood gates had been opened. I stayed hungry and eating the rest of the day. In my defense it was a stressful day - and as I got up in the middle of the night, I was had that really wired-tired feeling whole day

Peace

Joe E O
My daughter's contribution:
Old 11-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #294
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EllaP
Stats: 229/144/139
WOE: HF/MP/VLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeEO View Post

My other two deep thought are similar:

Eating early in the day makes me hungry
Eating often makes me hungry
That's how I am, Joe. When I used to eat breakfast, I couldn't wait to get lunch and then dinner and then a snack. For the last few months I haven't eaten breakfast except for coconut oil in coffee and I'm usually good until dinner around 5:00, sometimes much later if I'm busy. Once I have dinner though, I'll eat a couple of things until my 8:00 PM cut-off.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #295
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaP View Post
That's how I am, Joe. When I used to eat breakfast, I couldn't wait to get lunch and then dinner and then a snack. For the last few months I haven't eaten breakfast except for coconut oil in coffee and I'm usually good until dinner around 5:00, sometimes much later if I'm busy. Once I have dinner though, I'll eat a couple of things until my 8:00 PM cut-off.
Question for you both: And you get in all the calories/protein you need for the day? Thanks.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #296
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EllaP
Stats: 229/144/139
WOE: HF/MP/VLC
Quote:
Question for you both: And you get in all the calories/protein you need for the day? Thanks.
I typically only lose if I stay below 1100 to 1200, which is why I prefer to eat only later in the day when I enjoy it most. It allows me a more substantial meal and a snack and usually more coconut oil in decaf. I prefer savory snacks over sweet, so if my protein is low I'll have a higher protein snack - pepperoni and cream cheese or hardboiled egg and mayo or my new favorite is avocado with cream cheese and chopped pepperoni all mixed together

It's much more satisfying for me to eat in a 3 hour window. I don't worry too much about getting my calories up there. Some days they may be low, like today around 900, and others closer to 1200, sometimes higher. I keep carbs very low, total always under 20, usually under 12. I'm firmly in NK with BK 3.0 or higher always and I can't remember the last time that I felt really, really hungry. Any hungry feelings that may occur during the day pass with a glass of water or by itself within a few minutes.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #297
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: One maur time
WOE: Atkins, lchf, nk
Start Date: 01/15/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
So much catching up to do here! With the sick baby, work being busy, working with contractors for home improvements, etc., I've completely stopped tracking my food intake and have become a bit more lax. I'm still very low in carbs - it's not like I've been eating pasta or rice or potatoes or anything - but I've been less picky about things like likely sugar in condiments (like sauces on wings and dressings). I stepped on the scale this morning, expecting to see at least 203, as I had been stuck at 201 for a couple straight weeks when I was tracking everything religiously. 199.5 When others see a drop on the scale after a day of indiscretion, I usually attribute it to that day being good to shake up the monotony and wake up the metabolism, but I can't apply that to myself, as it's certainly been multiple days. I'll take it and just keep doing what I've been doing, I guess, and see if it keeps up. I still avoid all grains and starchy veggies and obvious sweets and focus on eating protein and fat before even bothering with any veggies or anything. It was really nice to see that 1 at the beginning of my weight this morning, so I hope it lasts!

congratulations!!!
Maureen
Old 11-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #298
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Good evening to all!

Phillip, my tummy issues improved today. No coconut at all. No supplements but pot & mag & bee propolis. But after reviewing the symptoms again, I decided to get some high-quality probiotics tomorrow and add that for a couple weeks. I have taken no meds to destory gut flora, but you never know what disrupts that balance in there! If I eat too much it flares up quickly too. So today was reduced quantity of anything, mostly soups and eggs. I eat avocados daily....I cut out any dark spots, which I find some of the time, and I always wash the outside with soap. I think it's against the law to throw away avocados!

Judy, I agree, since adding the mag and pot, no midnight jumping jacks!

Tabis, I have low blood pressure, usually 90/50 or 100/60 is highest on a rare day....I take both pot and mag daily. But you should monitor it daily if you take the supplements, and adjust dosage to try to find the "zone" that works. I feel less dizzy since adding the pot, I try to remember 2 99 a day, but 3 is now my optimum.

Hi Rebecca, hope all is well with you!

Amy, your soup sounds great, don't you love that TJ coconut cream! I cannot find anything like it anywhere!

Hi Jilly. I have seen more products lately with dextrose! Very frustrating, and it really slows down shopping! I noticed that off-brand sweetners are not what they claim, so I am back to brands.

TT, we all bounce and that water can get us. Wait it out patiently. Your method of housecleaning beats mine! I limit carbs to around 20 a day...52 would definitely be high for me.

Kristn, a wine tasting party is always worth it! Yum!

Buffy, let's ask Darin and Kristn to write that book! I bet it would sell big-time!

Hi Maureen, I am so hoping this tummy mess isn't caused by CO...that would change much of how I cook now, and it does cut the hungers!

Cathy, do you have a recipe for your avi? That looks delish!

Joe EO, maybe it was the stress and getting up so early?! If I have to be in say, by 5am, I do seem to be extra hungry the whole day; same as working until midnight or 1am, I seem to want to eat more.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:45 PM   #299
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tablis
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Good evening to all!

Tabis, I have low blood pressure, usually 90/50 or 100/60 is highest on a rare day....I take both pot and mag daily. But you should monitor it daily if you take the supplements, and adjust dosage to try to find the "zone" that works. I feel less dizzy since adding the pot, I try to remember 2 99 a day, but 3 is now my optimum.
Thanks I bought the magnesium citrate but was scared about the potassium.
Now that you wrote this I think I will give it a try caustiously in a couple of days. I don't take any meds regularl but I have had adverse reactions in the past so I am very hesitant about taking anything. I won't even take a tylenol unless its totally necessary.Is there a specific type of potassium you take chloride? iodide? nitrate ?
Old 11-11-2012, 10:50 PM   #300
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tablis
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
I did see something on a google search that one of the syptoms of low potassium is "Fainting due to low blood pressure." If you're worried about supplementing could you ask your doctor to test your potassium?

I also have a problem with low blood pressure and light headedness. Do you take extra salt? I drink 1/2 tsp of sea salt in broth every day and that seems to help.

Also, my blood pressure has gotten better since my thyroid medication has been optimized.
Thanks. I also saw that, but I also saw that potassium is used to lower blood pressure so I was a little nervous. I had two bouts of all out vertigo in the past and it was really scary so I'm kind of wary of anything that might lower it more. I think I will try it though. I looked at my past blood results and the potassium seems to have always been in the good zone but on the low side.
so maybe I do need potassium.

I use sea salt in everything and I love salt so I think I'm ok in the salt area- my dr would say cut it down- what kind of broth do you put it in?
Closed Thread