Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #151
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: smoky
Stats: Start weight 280/208/180
WOE: Type 2 Diabetic on - LCHF
Start Date: Re Start Oct 19 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindawell8 View Post
Good morning everybody, I am a happy camper lost 3.6lbs this morning. It took 4 days but o'well. Not as afraid now. Already have eaten 2tbs of CO this morning. But there is still alot I need to learn so will keep plugging along.

Red can tell you love your dog. I really love and spoil mine. Read in my CO book I got along time ago tells how good CO is for dogs. And all animals, so have been giving mine some everyday. And he loves it licks right off the spoon.
Congrats awesome job

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #152
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Yeah, high unemployment rates make most workplaces very tense no matter how secure your job is

A bajillion years ago I had a friend that was a middle school math teacher. He was a very interesting guy and he told me something I never have forgotten.

People learn to hate things so they can make otherwise unpleasant changes in their lives.

Now, let that sink in for a minute because although it is simple and obvious once stated it is quite profound.

Consider a relationship that is a little bad or maybe not bad but not really wonderful for only one of the two people. The person that is unhappy in the relationship will start to notice the bad things about the other person and focus on them. They learn to hate those things about the other person and presto chango they have valid justification for quitting the relationship.

Jobs are the same way. You really want to quit a job but it has great pay and/or benefits or financially it isn't wise to change jobs at the moment, so you just can't justify it because nothing is wrong you are just generally unhappy with it. You start to focus on the negatives and learn to hate things about the job until you are justified in your mind that it is reasonable to quit and find another job.

Okay. So the incredible nature of this observation is that you can *direct* it. Learn to hate something and you will make a change.

Your husband can learn to hate smoking. Learn about the really bad things about it. Focus on the negatives like the cost and smell and cough and whatever.

In fact, I'd forgotten about it but that was one of the things I did back in 2004 when I quit. I also have done it to some extent this time going cold turkey.

It is a powerful way to change your habits.

If he hated smoking as much as he hated his job... boy you are on to something there!
People learn to hate things so they can make otherwise unpleasant changes in their lives.
I am gonna relay that to him, very profound and so true. I love that.
Thanks for all your ideas. I know it is something he has to decide to do so I always wait till he brings it up to discuss it. But he talks about quitting alot so I know it is on his mind.
Sadly I think he worries alot that he will hurt my feelings while he is trying to quit. I tend to be too tender hearted and trying to get off nicotine make him very grumpy
Old 11-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #153
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lindawell8
Stats: 198/198/160
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: Jan. 2012
Shelley what is the three some group, maybe I want to gain it back.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #154
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky45 View Post
I'm a smoker too. I am on Champix(that is what it is called in Canada) I don't get any weird side effects from it. I also have an e-cig calle the T-Rex. I like it. But I find I am not too interested in smoking while on the champix. I smoke a few a day and it is getting less daily. Sometimes I have a few hits of the e-cig too. I haven't quit completely but it has only been a week on the Champix. I have a love/hate relationship with cigarettes. I really hate being addicted to anything...but I do love my morning cig with coffee! I want to quit though... and I'm gonna do it too! I find it hard because my husband smokes and though there is never any smoking in our house, the smell of course clings to my hubby and makes me want one. I like being stink free!
And Red...I do think it is my reaction to the CO. But I do love the stuff and feel it really contributes to my weight loss. I probably do eat a lot of it. I had over 1 tbsp. in my coffee this morning and in about 15 minutes the slight nausea started. Last night I did not have my chocolate CO bark and I had no nausea before bed. That was nice!
I am glad the Champix is working for you My hubby smokes outside too. I have a daycare so there is no smoking in the house. When it is cold it stinks for him to have to go out to smoke. That helps him WANT to quit but the addiction is another matter.

Have you been eating the CO for long?
Hopefully the nausea will go away soon. I got nausea at first . I had to start slow, but I have been using it a few years . I didn'y use anywhere the amount I do now though because I ate low fat until this August.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #155
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pinky45
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Hi Clueless,
I have been using the coconut oil off and on for 6 months now. I do hope the nausea will end soon. I love the stuff...it gives me great weight loss. I suppose I could tryto have less and work up. I love my chocolate crack(bark) though!
I have done low fat. Just recently I did the Dukan diet. It was terrible! The first week was okay and I lost over 9 lbs. But I started having major stomach pain and severe constipation. That plan is a high protein, low carb, low fat diet. I do much better with the fat! I feel better, more satisfies and regular too!
Pam
Old 11-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #156
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Just had shrimp cooked in lotssssss butter and olive oil,,,yummy.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #157
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
I had shrimp too! Sauteed in butter & olive oil like you. Then I used it to make an awesome Caesar salad! Delish! I cooked spaghetti & meatballs for the rest of the family because I haven't done it in awhile now and they really missed it. Not even tempted, which is weird because I used to LOVE all manners of pasta.

Last edited by theLossgirl; 11-03-2012 at 04:56 PM..
Old 11-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #158
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Shelley what is the three some group, maybe I want to gain it back.
You made me laugh!!!! The "threesome" is Southern Girl, myself and then possibly you who have been following the plan and not losing weight. In fact, I am gaining again. So, then you had to jump "OUT" Of our little group and into the losing weight group! But GOOD for you!!!!!! You do not want to gain it back.....but if you want to trade places with me and give me your weightloss, that would make ME happy!!!
Old 11-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #159
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Oooh...that sounds good!!!!!
Old 11-03-2012, 05:53 PM   #160
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
You made me laugh!!!! The "threesome" is Southern Girl, myself and then possibly you who have been following the plan and not losing weight. In fact, I am gaining again. So, then you had to jump "OUT" Of our little group and into the losing weight group! But GOOD for you!!!!!! You do not want to gain it back.....but if you want to trade places with me and give me your weightloss, that would make ME happy!!!
I'm not gaining or losing weight because I'm pretty much done. Which group can I be in? I feel lonely!
Old 11-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #161
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lindawell8
Stats: 198/198/160
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: Jan. 2012
Shelly you are so funny. I'll stay in the other place. Hope it stays off. I guess I can't trade took a lot of hard work to get this weight off. But I love this way of eating and all the people on these forums. Deborah I doubt as cute as you are you are very lonely. I am 5'5" and would love to weigh 129. In my dreams. Thanks for the explantion Shelly.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #162
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Darin, I was reviewing my supplements today, prior to online order and went to review some info to ensure I was on target with LC diet and current needs....tripped over info I forgot about ...reducing BP "naturally" without medication.
Don't smoke (check), lose weight, (check), avoid over-the-counter meds such as cold medicines, decongestants, antihistamines (don't know if you take any); avoid excess caffeinated beverages, coffee included, limit alcohol, relax so you don't stress which produces cortisol, and add moderate, walking 30 min daily or 20 min of exercise that alternates quick heart push/moderate pace (ok, I know you don't care for that part...)
Things to eat to reduce BP: hot peppers!! cayenne peppers are best. celery, four stalks a day can relax the smooth muscles in blood vessels. Garlic! Maintain optimum potassium level daily. Nuts are great source of potassium, avocados have 1319mg, sun dried tomatoes 1272mg, pumpkin seeds (1/2 cup) 945mg. Food with potassium is better than supplements, but they work okay too. Maintain optimum level of calcium and magnesium daily. This could be an issue for all LC....are we getting enough calcium??? Dairy, fish, nuts (brazil nuts are the highest, DH eats two a day, he hates them, but for males they are great for other issues as you age too), sesame seeds, dried herbs, cheese, celery, dark veggie such as spinach/brocolli are great, I supplement 500mg daily. The trick about calcium is you have to have Vit D which is essential to absorb it at the same time. Calcium citrate absorbs best, but carbonate is okay too. And my favorite Vit C, if you have low levels, your BP can go up. 1000mg a day minimum. Don't take more than that at one time, our bodies cannot absorb it. There are four herbs that have great results at lowering BP: 500mg astralagus root twice a day, Chinese & Indian herb; 250mg of dandelion root twice a day, natural diuretic and excelllent alternative to water pills; 500 mg of cat's claw twice a day, athletes use to remove water weight, use only until excess fluid is gone; and 500 mg of hawthorn extract twice a day, with food. Hawthorn is used at lot in Europe, it is very heart healthy. Works as natural beta blocker, opens the arteries. Studies show a significant reduction in diastolic BP; and it reduces anxiety too (like from quiting smoking!!). Read info on these if you take other medications - don't want counter actions happening.

I have never had BP issues, mine is on the lower side. However, since I cannot take 99% of all medications due to SJS, I have maintained a "library" of alternatives for almost everything since I was 18 yo. Many work as well, or better than medications; with much less risk as well.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #163
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
I'm not gaining or losing weight because I'm pretty much done. Which group can I be in? I feel lonely!
Are you kidding me!!!??? You get to belong to both groups!!!!
Old 11-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #164
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Shelly you are so funny. I'll stay in the other place. Hope it stays off. I guess I can't trade took a lot of hard work to get this weight off. But I love this way of eating and all the people on these forums. Deborah I doubt as cute as you are you are very lonely. I am 5'5" and would love to weigh 129. In my dreams. Thanks for the explantion Shelly.
Glad you are staying in the "large group" that is getting smaller in size! ha ha

I'm 5' 5-3/4" tall and I agree about being 129 in my dreams. But I am absolutely determined to get to 132 or so.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #165
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Darin, I was reviewing my supplements today, prior to online order and went to review some info to ensure I was on target with LC diet and current needs....tripped over info I forgot about ...reducing BP "naturally" without medication.
Don't smoke (check), lose weight, (check), avoid over-the-counter meds such as cold medicines, decongestants, antihistamines (don't know if you take any); avoid excess caffeinated beverages, coffee included, limit alcohol, relax so you don't stress which produces cortisol, and add moderate, walking 30 min daily or 20 min of exercise that alternates quick heart push/moderate pace (ok, I know you don't care for that part...)
Things to eat to reduce BP: hot peppers!! cayenne peppers are best. celery, four stalks a day can relax the smooth muscles in blood vessels. Garlic! Maintain optimum potassium level daily. Nuts are great source of potassium, avocados have 1319mg, sun dried tomatoes 1272mg, pumpkin seeds (1/2 cup) 945mg. Food with potassium is better than supplements, but they work okay too. Maintain optimum level of calcium and magnesium daily. This could be an issue for all LC....are we getting enough calcium??? Dairy, fish, nuts (brazil nuts are the highest, DH eats two a day, he hates them, but for males they are great for other issues as you age too), sesame seeds, dried herbs, cheese, celery, dark veggie such as spinach/brocolli are great, I supplement 500mg daily. The trick about calcium is you have to have Vit D which is essential to absorb it at the same time. Calcium citrate absorbs best, but carbonate is okay too. And my favorite Vit C, if you have low levels, your BP can go up. 1000mg a day minimum. Don't take more than that at one time, our bodies cannot absorb it. There are four herbs that have great results at lowering BP: 500mg astralagus root twice a day, Chinese & Indian herb; 250mg of dandelion root twice a day, natural diuretic and excelllent alternative to water pills; 500 mg of cat's claw twice a day, athletes use to remove water weight, use only until excess fluid is gone; and 500 mg of hawthorn extract twice a day, with food. Hawthorn is used at lot in Europe, it is very heart healthy. Works as natural beta blocker, opens the arteries. Studies show a significant reduction in diastolic BP; and it reduces anxiety too (like from quiting smoking!!). Read info on these if you take other medications - don't want counter actions happening.

I have never had BP issues, mine is on the lower side. However, since I cannot take 99% of all medications due to SJS, I have maintained a "library" of alternatives for almost everything since I was 18 yo. Many work as well, or better than medications; with much less risk as well.
I cut and pasted this into an email to myself to send to a friend who has high BP (breast cancer survivor). Thanks for typing that all out for us. I really appreciate learning all the stuff you are teaching us!!!!
Old 11-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #166
Senior LCF Member

Seldom, the Taco Soup is wonderful. I hope for cool weather to make it soon. It's November! I am (sort of) getting tired of my flip-flops and shorts! Mostly I want to make cold weather foods!

Becky,I am one of the folks who gets nausea with too much CO. I cannot drink it in anything. I tried 1 teaspoon this morning in coffee....and well, I give up. I am cooking more with it; adding it in where I can. If I dare add too much fat AND CO....well, I eat three bites and done! I have good tummy acid, never take any form of tummy meds to protect it!

Shelley, that test sounds like a horror film. No way I could sit with a string down my throat!

Yea Linda, you don't have to the in the "6 month wait" club! Deborah you are doing so great, don't wish to be here! You are below goal now, yes? That is wonderful and you look so good! But Shelly and I are hanging in with NK for the long haul. I figure it's my "eating or there lack of" history and now PM.

Welcome Pinky!

Hang in there Cheryl, sounds like you have a lot going on. Lots of stressed folks around here about job reductions, etc.

Darin, love that from your teacher friend. It makes perfect sense. Guess it's our human way of coping and accepting.

Back to the LSU v Alabama game...!
Old 11-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #167
Major LCF Poster!

Had a good day cals was 1854 protein a little high 79, 3 oz of nuts dang nuts I just can't eat one!! bet my weight is up tommorrow . Good night all..don't forget to set your clocks back......
Old 11-03-2012, 08:45 PM   #168
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Had a good day cals was 1854 protein a little high 79, 3 oz of nuts dang nuts I just can't eat one!! bet my weight is up tommorrow . Good night all..don't forget to set your clocks back......
Good Night
Old 11-04-2012, 04:57 AM   #169
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Good morning ya'll!

I'm not gonna weigh in this morning. I ended up pigging out on almonds yesterday evening and I ate the 90% cocoa bar I had gotten last week so my calories were sky high and my macros were out of whack *and* I went over on carbs too because of all the almonds. Bah.

I woke up thinking about it this morning. I read a book a couple of months ago about goal setting that discussed willpower. They had done some studies that seemed to indicate that willpower was in fact a limited quantity item. They postulated that it was like a muscle that gets fatigued with prolonged use.

Frankly the studies, in my opinion, were seriously flawed in almost every respect which makes the conclusions doubtful at the very least. However, the general observation about willpower does seem reasonable because the principle of fatigue for mental endeavors is universal. So, the more you have to focus willpower on one particular item the less you have to spare for other items.

All of that brings me back to overdoing it on the almonds and chocolate last night. Fighting cravings for smoking depleted my ability to fight off the urge to put a lot of stuff in my mouth. Very annoying.

I can't make up my mind to just skip weighing in for today only or for a few days so I'll hold off on making that decision.

Also, I've been thinking about revamping my goal weight. Since I found that I am actually a medium frame my ideal weight drops by 10 to 15 pounds to about 170 on the high end.

I'd posted this in the October thread so I'll post it here in this thread too in the next post although I did link to it in the intro for this thread. Yes, fat wrists will affect this measurement but that isn't a show stopper. You'll know you've lost wrist fat when your watch gets magically looser. Just remeasure after you've dropped a lot of weight to recheck. All knowing your frame size does, for us, is give an idea of what weight range is appropriate for an individual.

Last edited by reddarin; 11-04-2012 at 05:01 AM..
Old 11-04-2012, 05:01 AM   #170
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Measure your body frame size

Google 'measure frame size body'. You measure right behind the wrist bone on the forearm side (rather than the hand/finger side).

Women:

Height under 5'2"
Small = wrist size less than 5.5"
Medium = wrist size 5.5" to 5.75"
Large = wrist size over 5.75"

Height 5'2" to 5' 5"
Small = wrist size less than 6"
Medium = wrist size 6" to 6.25"
Large = wrist size over 6.25"

Height over 5' 5"
Small = wrist size less than 6.25"
Medium = wrist size 6.25" to 6.5"
Large = wrist size over 6.5"

Men:

Height over 5' 5"
Small = wrist size 5.5" to 6.5"
Medium = wrist size 6.5" to 7.5"
Large = wrist size over 7.5"
Old 11-04-2012, 06:00 AM   #171
Major LCF Poster!

Morning Red.
Your doing great! Your additude is awesome. You may have ate more but you didn't smoke.

My weight this am 163.5 again

yesterdays numbers
Cal 1907
fat 159
pro 105
carb 16

I am really wishing I could drop something.
161 to 163 is a weight I spent a few years at. I wonder if that is a set point?

I am gonna try to get all my calories in today to see if that helps.
I am feeling better mentally since Red told me to try upping my calories to 2100. I was starving trying to eat 1500 to 1600 calories so many days I felt like I failed when I would eat too much. Also I wasn't losing weight.

Last edited by Clueless; 11-04-2012 at 06:04 AM..
Old 11-04-2012, 06:13 AM   #172
Major LCF Poster!

Morning all,just has I new i gained 1 lb .....it was those dang nuts I just can't eat them,ever time I gain o well ever once in a while ill eat them,plus I ate to much protein.today will be better,filling less stress today over job.i did add hwc back to my coffee yummmmm can't give up ever thing !!
How many of you eat breakfast ??

Clueless that hf store is open today I think around noon....
Old 11-04-2012, 06:18 AM   #173
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
How many of you eat breakfast ??
That pound is nothing. It's probably just a normal fluctuation. You've been doing very well!

I do eat breakfast, if that's what you want to call it. Lately it's consisted of a tablespoon of coconut oil and a diet root beer HWC float made with 2 TBSP of HWC. I DO take half of my daily vitamins at that time though!
Old 11-04-2012, 06:22 AM   #174
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks deb....
Old 11-04-2012, 06:47 AM   #175
Major LCF Poster!

I love stir fry but don't use soy sauce any more...what do any of you use in its place?
Old 11-04-2012, 07:37 AM   #176
Senior LCF Member

Morning All. We are blessed with rain right now, love it. It's Sunday and I weighed in....trying not to be excited, but 1.5 down from two Sundays ago...trips and all! Quiet happy.

Red, you are very philosophical this early in the day. And frankly, willpower is bunk! I think we can stand something just long enough, then the brain overpowers the urge, and voila, we eat something we have deemed "a cheat"...when a small amount of it likely won't hurt us in the long run. I also think our bodies crave what we need....including dark chocolate! Almonds sent you the needed "pleasure" producers to get through the cravings. I usually just stay off the scale and don't give it power to ruin my day.

Cheryl, hang in...it's just one day.

Becky, likely the nuts, but 3oz isn't a pound gain....likely a water retention. just go with it...i lose myself with roasted almonds, so I tried raw ones....that stopped the endless munch. but the almond butter mixed with coconut butter really stopped overeating! I eat breakfast every single day...one small at 530am; then a bigger one at about 8am at work when I am breaking for the first time. I still use a small amount of Soy Sauce...can't find that taste in anything else.

ct
Old 11-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #177
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UpErMei
Stats: 158/165/128
Ty! I did just as you said. Now I'll just wait and see.

***edited to add.....yeah, it's changed!!! No more seldomcontent!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
The site admins may be able to accommodate changing your username/screenname. Just click that little triangle thing to the left of one of your posts to 'flag' it and explain what you would like to do and why and one of them will respond.

Last edited by UpErMei; 11-04-2012 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: adding more text
Old 11-04-2012, 07:52 AM   #178
Senior LCF Member

Red, interesting words about willpower. For me personally, the more "extended" I am (whether emotionally, mentally, or physically) the harder time I have with willpower. I've had a heck of a time getting back on the lc wagon and I believe this is because I've been stressed with other things and I haven't been making ME a priority. This needs to change!

Last edited by UpErMei; 11-04-2012 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 11-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #179
Senior LCF Member

Okay, this is a crazy question, but does anyone have a hard time if they think about/plan a lot of LC recipes?

IDK if it's because I'm just beginning or what, but when I focus on all the yummy LC possibilities, I tend to way overeat! It's almost like I need more spartan fare when I'm first starting.

I made Taco Soup last night and ate 4 big bowls! IDK, I think in the beginning, until I get into HEAVY ketosis, I need to eat very basic lc foods that require minimal prep.

IDK what is wrong with me!
Old 11-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #180
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpErMei View Post
Okay, this is a crazy question, but does anyone have a hard time if they think about/plan a lot of LC recipes?

IDK if it's because I'm just beginning or what, but when I focus on all the yummy LC possibilities, I tend to way overeat! It's almost like I need more spartan fare when I'm first starting.

I made Taco Soup last night and ate 4 big bowls! IDK, I think in the beginning, until I get into HEAVY ketosis, I need to eat very basic lc foods that require minimal prep.

IDK what is wrong with me!
It's normal! At the very beginning I just ate basic whole foods. Meat, poultry, or fish cooked in some kind of fat, usually with some kind of low carb veggie. Then I started reading and trying all these delicious low carb recipes and I stalled for a little bit. I just couldn't eat a "serving" of this yummy food! Especially with any recipe that included the word "mexican".

Now I keep it simple most of the time, but every couple of weeks I will make a favorite, or new, low carb recipe. Only now, I plan for it by looking at my menu for the day before and after, and tweaking to fit it in.
Closed Thread