Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #1561
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Hey tablis, no problem. Here's yesterday:

Breakfast: coffee w/ 1T HWC, diet root beer w/ 3T HWC
Lunch: 2 oz brie, 1 oz macadamia nuts
Snack: 1 oz Neufchatel cheese (prefer full fat cream cheese, working through this before it goes bad though)
Dinner: 3 oz chicken breast rolled up with slice of bacon, 1/8c cheddar cheese, 1 tsp butter, topped with 4T sour cream
Dessert: Jody's pumpkin bake w/ 10T whipped cream (from a can, with sugar, shudder!)
Realized I needed more protein so I had 2 slices of roast beef rolled up with 2 slices provolone, a pickle, and dab of dijon mustard

1524 calories, 19g carbs, 4g fiber, 124g fat, 71g protein

Here was Wednesday:
Breakfast: coffee w/ 1T HWC, diet root beer w/ 4T HWC
Lunch: 2 oz brie
Snack: 2 oz brie again
Dinner: Same as last nights dinner
Snack: Jodys pumpkin bake w/ 13.6T whipped cream (can you tell I love whipped cream?
Still hungry, so 2oz Neufchatel

1459 calories, 14g carbs, 3g fiber, 121g fat, 61g protein

I do tend to only eat fat in the morning and save my protein for later because I never know if my boyfriend will want to go out for a meal and what options will be available. Have been getting lightheaded/out of my element in the afternoon though and I think its due to lack of protein, so will be changing my eating a little bit starting today.

Gosh this was long, sorry!
That's really helpful- thanks! Looks delish! I love whipped cream too- but I don't eat any sweeteners

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2012, 10:28 AM   #1562
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Eat salty! LC is not a water retention way of living which is a dramatic contrast to the high carb get fat and stay fat standard mainstream zombie way of living.

I went from a heck of a lot of water a day to a lot less a day and the only difference I noticed was less trips to the bathroom.

Hormonal fluctuations may impact it but take care to eat enough salt to avoid leg and foot cramps in particular but sodium is a very important mineral for living.
Ditto on this! I am very very sluggish and tired if I don't eat enough salt. I crave salt like it's no body's business too...and I can't get enough water...good thing I love salt and water
Old 11-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #1563
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
I absolutely cannot reveal to my family this WOE. It's gonna be no grain, no sugar, no starch... otherwise they will FREAK out. I feel it's the right way to go BUT, I don't have the "chops" to explain myself yet...
I wholeheartedly endorse this plan!

Lurkers! This is the best way to approach your initial steps into LC. Even if you feel confident enough to explain and defend what you're new way of eating and living!

The default for the uninformed is to attack LC. I mean, someone that has no interest at all one way or the other - never dieted a day in their life and can't spell the word - will still regurgitate some negative urban legend about LC if they find out you are LC.

LC is such a big change in how you eat and live, don't burden yourself with the additional task and stress of defending or explaining it to everyone around you.

Just say you are doing something that the mainstream thinks is wonderful. Like what Blonde is describing. Or tell them that you stopped eating anything white and then just excuse yourself from eating anything else that is carby by saying you don't care for it or you have a bit of an upset stomach.

There is a really good second reason for doing this - incognito LC - and that is Induction Flu. Most people will experience the fuzzy headed feeling that Blonde described. It can be pretty amazingly surprisingly startlingly strange and your thoughts will be confused too. So picture yourself trying to explain LC when someone remarks on it and you fess up to your new way of eating and they demand to know more about it. See?

Old 11-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #1564
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
" just don't find the "natural is good, man-made is bad" paradigm believable. "

I agree with this in principle - particularly where it concerns the zealotry of ogranics and paleo ways of eating and living.

"my guess is 90% of what you are eating today qualifies as a "frankenfood""

This I do not agree with at all. Of course there is a level of processing involved in practically every thing around you and what makes something magically transition from nondescript to frankenfood is certainly a fuzzy area.

But the level of artificial ingredients, processing and material manipulation between an Atkins LC bar and a 96% cocoa bar is a chasm. In that chasm the word frankenfood becomes pretty accurate, no?

I'm with you in spirit though Phillip. There is a undercurrent of primitive worship to it that should make anyone's eyebrows go up lol.
I think Phillip is also referring to the fact that much of our produce is now genetically modified- correct ime if I'm wrong... which also depends on one's definition of "frakenfood"
Old 11-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #1565
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
I am not certain if there's a different between reds/whites...I do not care for white, and red is heart healthy in moderation. Note that my amount to drink without issues is about 6oz. Kristn on the other thread noticed that drinking several glasses stalls her out.
I think the thing to pay attention to is that wine has carbs, vodka and some other hard alcohol do not?
Old 11-30-2012, 10:36 AM   #1566
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Morning all,did not post yesterday .i stayed in bed all day and slept..I think I was tired and upset about my weight, I did not cheat one time.i did eat more nuts and cheese than I usely do,thinking I would just not lose any thing but not gain,I was 164.2 got up yesterday I was 169.8 how depressing that was!!i maybe should have ate the cheese cake,it would have been worth the 5 lbs but not cheating and gained 5 lbs so I did not eat any thing yesterday at all.weight this morning was 167. Don't no why I let this upset me so much, guess watching others eating cookies cakes and I was good and gained just was not fare!!
Any way I'm back on track today.going to make me some eggs and bacon this morning.
I can totally relate Becky!! While we were away recently- I was feeling really good on NK (just having started). I feel like I even lost weight early on- but don't know for sure b/c I didn't weigh myself. Went on a forced vacation- and although I kept most of the principles of NK, I managed to gain 5 lbs....now I am having a really hard time getting back on track. And, it is so so depressing.
My new strategy is to look at what i ate before vacation, and just copy it and see how that works to get my head back in the game.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #1567
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Lurkers! This is the best way to approach your initial steps into LC. Even if you feel confident enough to explain and defend what you're new way of eating and living!

The default for the uninformed is to attack LC. I mean, someone that has no interest at all one way or the other - never dieted a day in their life and can't spell the word - will still regurgitate some negative urban legend about LC if they find out you are LC.

LC is such a big change in how you eat and live, don't burden yourself with the additional task and stress of defending or explaining it to everyone around you.

Just say you are doing something that the mainstream thinks is wonderful. Like what Blonde is describing. Or tell them that you stopped eating anything white and then just excuse yourself from eating anything else that is carby by saying you don't care for it or you have a bit of an upset stomach.

There is a really good second reason for doing this - incognito LC - and that is Induction Flu. Most people will experience the fuzzy headed feeling that Blonde described. It can be pretty amazingly surprisingly startlingly strange and your thoughts will be confused too. So picture yourself trying to explain LC when someone remarks on it and you fess up to your new way of eating and they demand to know more about it. See?

I do have to say that I am really grateful though- we went on an unplanned vacation recently to visit my family. Although my mom has always pushed me to go low-carb, my sister always did really well on high carb. My sister and i are 7 years apart, and never had much in common. Come to find out that she is doing NK also! Not as strictly as me, but still! Now we have so much to talk about, and my mom is happy we are all on board w/low carb. And, my husband is game too! Thank G-d. I definitely won't be discussing it w/my mother in law any time soon
Old 11-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #1568
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
I do have to say that I am really grateful though- we went on an unplanned vacation recently to visit my family. Although my mom has always pushed me to go low-carb, my sister always did really well on high carb. My sister and i are 7 years apart, and never had much in common. Come to find out that she is doing NK also! Not as strictly as me, but still! Now we have so much to talk about, and my mom is happy we are all on board w/low carb. And, my husband is game too! Thank G-d. I definitely won't be discussing it w/my mother in law any time soon
So wonderful to have family on board with LC!
Old 11-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #1569
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
What a happy coincidence!
After my sister and I started doing NK my sister's daughter-in-law and son started eating this way. One of our friends, too. The DIL's mother....it's spreading.

Sometimes to me it just looks like LC, but they are all definitely eating high fat, too.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #1570
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
So hungry today I've already eaten 1700 calories, what the heck?! Going out for Mexican, gonna get some carnitas and pray that fills me up!
Old 11-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #1571
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Your crash was probably a blood sugar related crash. It sounds like it. Maybe CT will tell us, I bet she knows if those are low BS symptoms.

Her crash was the classic carb flu type crash - fuzzy headed, unable to concentrate, listless, etc.

Yes, that sounds like classic low BS, heading to a faint. Breaking out in a sweat can happen to.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #1572
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
I think the thing to pay attention to is that wine has carbs, vodka and some other hard alcohol do not?
Yes, I think that's why Kristn says it's best, the vodka. I do not care for it though, and have a constant supply of delish red wines coming in, and they simply cannot be wasted!
Old 11-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #1573
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
[QUOTE=Blonde with a Rose;16108788]
I have done LC before but this is all new territory for me. Fat is my friend? What a concept! I absolutely cannot reveal to my family this WOE. It's gonna be no grain, no sugar, no starch... otherwise they will FREAK out. I feel it's the right way to go BUT, I don't have the "chops" to explain myself yet...QUOTE]

Ditto!
Old 11-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #1574
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
So hungry today I've already eaten 1700 calories, what the heck?! Going out for Mexican, gonna get some carnitas and pray that fills me up!
I think this is a sign of becoming keto-adapted or at least the body adjusting to very low carbs.

I know when I tried to get back on track about 3 days after I quit smoking I was insatiable - couldn't get enough to eat at all.

3 days was way too soon to try to get back to NK for me so I threw in the towel. Between the nicotine cravings and the physical adjustment back to NK I just couldn't bridge the gap. I think I tried it again a couple more times with the same intense hunger. Really weird.

I haven't said anything, exactly because of those terrible failures to get back on track, but I think I am finally about to cross back over into NK territory hooray for Darin!!!

Last edited by reddarin; 11-30-2012 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 11-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #1575
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
but I think I am finally about to cross back over into NK territory hooray for Darin!!!
Old 11-30-2012, 02:34 PM   #1576
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lindawell8
Stats: 198/198/160
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: Jan. 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Good Darin, you are also one of main reasons for staying here. You give me hope. And lots of info.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:36 PM   #1577
Blabbermouth!!!

It is my stoic demeanor I think.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #1578
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Wow this thread is really hoppin.
I missed getting on today. I love keeping in touch with you guys, you help me be motivated. Ifound myself wanting to do mindless eating today and headed for the nuts which will hurt me.
I wasn't really hungry so I guess that was old habits rearing up in the face of a week of huge events

Becky you will get back to losing, we can do another meat and egg thingy in a day or so if you like
All that traveling is rough on your system. just rest a few days.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #1579
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Well I'm eating fat and more fat hoping this craving will go away!! Come on do your work FAT,,,,,
Old 11-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #1580
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:

Boy howdy! I spent the better part of my youth living in fear of poison ivy! I can't count the number of times I suffered from exposure to it. I think only in the last decade or so that I have become less allergic to it. God Bless the deer for eating as much as they please

They are unaffected or they just suffer through a rash around their mouth?
I heard this from an Ecology professor as an undergrad decades ago. The impression I got was that they were just impervious to it. I don't know the mechanism of action of the active substances in poison ivy, so I don't know if there is some sort of detoxification that goes on, or they just don't react to these chemical in the way many of us do.

--
Phillip
Old 11-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #1581
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Thank Cheryl !!!my menu for the day!
B-1egg--3 bacon-- coffee with1tbs co1 tbs hwc
S- coffee with co and hwc
D-5 oz chicken thigh cooked in co ate the skin...yummm fat bomb
Later I'm going to have another cup coffee with co and hwc.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #1582
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
" just don't find the "natural is good, man-made is bad" paradigm believable. "

I agree with this in principle - particularly where it concerns the zealotry of ogranics and paleo ways of eating and living.

"my guess is 90% of what you are eating today qualifies as a "frankenfood""

This I do not agree with at all. Of course there is a level of processing involved in practically every thing around you and what makes something magically transition from nondescript to frankenfood is certainly a fuzzy area.

But the level of artificial ingredients, processing and material manipulation between an Atkins LC bar and a 96% cocoa bar is a chasm. In that chasm the word frankenfood becomes pretty accurate, no?

I'm with you in spirit though Phillip. There is a undercurrent of primitive worship to it that should make anyone's eyebrows go up lol.
I don't know a great deal about the origin of the term, but I had originally always heard it in the same context Tablis mention -- basically food from an engineered organism. Like I mentioned before, we and our ancestors have been engineering plants and animals for a long time. So if that is a problem for someone, they are going to very limited in what they can eat.

There now seems to be a different meaning to the word I had not previously seen -- the one you are using above. Sounds kind of like what my dad called "junk food" when we were kids. Generally products made from highly refined substances. To an extent I see this as well. But past a certain point it just becomes term of derision that doesn't require any explanation from the person using it.

--
Phillip
Old 11-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #1583
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/226.6/125
WOE: Currently 5:2 w/ a 3rd all fruit & veg day
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Quote:

Wow that's pretty funny,

"It's funny because it's true" ~ Homer Simpson

Yes thank you, my explanation will work better than the truth.

"You can't handle the truth" ~ Jack Nicholson, A Few Good Men

Exactly! I had a nice piece of Salmon and a salad for lunch. Yum. Lots of dressing. Coffee with HWC for dessert.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:22 PM   #1584
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

As a former lurker (and for other lurkers) could someone clarify the following?

CO

PUFA

MCT oil ~ okay never mind on this one, I looked it up by clicking on it.

Thanks!

Last edited by Blonde with a Rose; 11-30-2012 at 03:23 PM..
Old 11-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #1585
Major LCF Poster!

Coconut Oil
Polyunsaturated Fat
Old 11-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #1586
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKSL55 View Post
Like I mentioned before, we and our ancestors have been engineering plants and animals for a long time. So if that is a problem for someone, they are going to very limited in what they can eat.
Yes but we are so advanced now that comparing what is possible today to even 60 or 70 years ago is like comparing a single celled organism to an elephant. And that is completely leaving aside actual genetic engineering in a modern lab. Don't you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKSL55 View Post
Sounds kind of like what my dad called "junk food" when we were kids. Generally products made from highly refined substances. To an extent I see this as well. But past a certain point it just becomes term of derision that doesn't require any explanation from the person using it.
Hmmm. Yes, it is synonymous with 'junk food' but junk food does not imply enough about the bad nature of the food. You could eat a little junk food with a clear conscious because few are the people that do not subscribe to moderation in all things.

For example, Lays Plain Potato Chips. This is junk food of the first order. Can anyone disagree with that? No sir.

However, it has only 3 ingredients with the only possibly objectionable ingredient being the oil used but no one would refer to this simple snack as frankenfood unless they also were an ideologue of some sort, no?

All frankenfood is junk food. Not all junk food is frankenfood.

I completely agree with your assessment about the way the term is abused and is so vague as to be meaningless at times if not often.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #1587
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Cici! I guess it would be in my best interest to get the Phinney book, yes?

I added up my numbers for the day and this is were I am in grams:

protein 45 (92)
Fat 57 (198)
carbs 8.6

It's already four o'clock and I have a way to go! And~ TA DA I'm not hungry. Unbelievable. Poor me, I guess I'll have to add in some fat and a little more protein. I really want this to work, and I will be shocked and amazed if I lose weight doing this. Crazy.
6/27~226.6
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Old 11-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #1588
Major LCF Poster!

I felt the same way earlier and was less than half way on my calories. Had a big ol cheeseburger which put me over my protein but am still short 500 cals. So not a perfect day. Now dealing with reflux. Should have left well enough alone. Tomorrow is another day.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #1589
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Well, we went out to Mexican.. I got a brisket burrito but without the burrito, beans and rice on a separate plate. Holy delicious--brisket cooking in salsa ranchera (kind of like pico but with chilis, I think?) topped with Mexican cheese dip. I am happily satisfied after it and now am enjoying a few Ketel and Clubs.. calories will end up around 2500-2700 I think. I was hungry, I'm ok with it. I expect tomorrow to not be as ravenous!
Old 11-30-2012, 04:40 PM   #1590
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Wow mizzcase next time we go out to eat Mexican I hope I remember this order!
Sounds fabulous.
Closed Thread