Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 07:39 AM   #1531
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Sorry Becky!

I find just the act of traveling makes me show a gain on the scale.
It doesn't last. I bet you'll drop it right off.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2012, 07:40 AM   #1532
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyIdealSelf View Post
I'm not sure how to get to 80/15/5. I've been running 60/36/4. This is probably because I don't like vegetables and fruits are too high in carbs. My maintenance level carbs is only 18-20, so my goal is less than 10 cabs a day.
You are not eating enough sat and mono fats.

Did you read the intro post? Some good information is in it.

High Fat 80/15/5 - November Version
Old 11-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #1533
Blabbermouth!!!

You'll get back to losing in no time Becky!

Probably a good idea to avoid the scale after a trip like that for a week or so at least after you get back firmly on plan.

Nuts can derail me pretty quickly and not all of them are very LC friendly. I imagine that you were getting enough carbs from them to push you up into the range where your kidneys started retaining fluids.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:51 AM   #1534
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Thanks Red and Judy.
Cheryl were are you??
Old 11-30-2012, 07:56 AM   #1535
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Becky, my weight is always up after traveling, either by car or plane. Takes 2-3 days for it to settle back to what it really is, I am sure it is swelling.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:57 AM   #1536
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Buffy just don't seem far !
Old 11-30-2012, 08:06 AM   #1537
Major LCF Poster!

Red and other what kind of veggies do y'all eat?
Old 11-30-2012, 08:41 AM   #1538
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyIdealSelf View Post
I'm not sure how to get to 80/15/5. I've been running 60/36/4. This is probably because I don't like vegetables and fruits are too high in carbs. My maintenance level carbs is only 18-20, so my goal is less than 10 cabs a day.
Something I noticed when I kicked my protein up to calculated amounts and kept carbs at 5% is that to keep my calories at the lower end of the range skews my ratios to 75/20/5. I suspect this may be alright while losing weight as the additional fat can come from the body. I am not willing to go to 0 carbs at this point. So that seems to be the trade off.

What do you mean by maintenance carbs? I think the calculations are based on maintaining ideal weight not current so you should have a little room between the two. (I am very new to this so someone else could chime in here to correct me if this is wrong.)

Recipe thread for Metabolism Miracle

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...-step-1-a.html

Last edited by cici52; 11-30-2012 at 08:45 AM..
Old 11-30-2012, 08:59 AM   #1539
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Red and other what kind of veggies do y'all eat?
Well, generally speaking:

Lettuce
Tomatoes
Broccoli
Squash
Jalapenos

I think I've finally gotten tired of jalapenos though. I got a pablano when I was at the store a day or two ago - they are very tasty with chicken and cheese.

Usually my carbs are under 30g total for the day so I don't normally eat from all of those items listed on any given day. I'd have to check my log history to be sure though.

Like yesterday, I have under 4 grams total carbs so I didn't eat any veggies at all. Those < 4g carbs almost 100% came from HWC.

Whatever LC friendly veggies you eat keep it under 50g total carbs if you are pursuing NK.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:02 AM   #1540
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/IDK/140
WOE: Currently JUDDD
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
I'm so new to this I have no answers, only questions.

I've spent the last hour catching up with this thread, started at the beginning and read all the way through to NOW. So much good info, input and wonderful humor. I'm excited to know you all and I'm excited to be here at the beginning in December, from the start so, to speak.

Just a couple of observations....

On Wednesday, at work (I'm a server at Olive Garden) halfway through my shift I felt as if I had lost my mind. Things that I do every time I work became so difficult. Multitasking was out of the question. At one point I felt like taking off my apron and just going home. Luckily I have fabulous co-workers who stepped up to help me get my "shift" under control. After reading through this entire thread I realize I was in the midst of some kind of "no-carb crash". I started NK on Monday of this week, so that had to be it right?

There was some discussion earlier about wheat and depression. Is this covered in Wheat Belly? I have the book but I'm pretty sure when I read it I was not interested in giving up my bagel and cream cheese. I need to read it again, obviously. I definitely went through a withdrawal when I stopped eating wheat, much like quitting smoking. Feelings of sadness and being tearful and depressed. I spent the first weeks trying to find a substitute for wheat. Peanut butter bread, coconut drop biscuits. As time went by it didn't seem to matter anymore and I decided to fore go ALL grain, and I've stopped looking for substitutes. I definitely had a wheat addiction.

Reddarin, I'm asking in advance so as not to presume, if I give you my stats would you help me figure out my protein/calorie needs?
Here we go again....
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Old 11-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #1541
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Snoangel
Stats: 214/135/139
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: July 2010
Sorry Becky! I know it's frustrating and so weird that after traveling we see gains. You'll get back to losing in no time
Old 11-30-2012, 09:19 AM   #1542
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
I'm so new to this I have no answers, only questions.

I've spent the last hour catching up with this thread, started at the beginning and read all the way through to NOW. So much good info, input and wonderful humor. I'm excited to know you all and I'm excited to be here at the beginning in December, from the start so, to speak.

Just a couple of observations....

On Wednesday, at work (I'm a server at Olive Garden) halfway through my shift I felt as if I had lost my mind. Things that I do every time I work became so difficult. Multitasking was out of the question. At one point I felt like taking off my apron and just going home. Luckily I have fabulous co-workers who stepped up to help me get my "shift" under control. After reading through this entire thread I realize I was in the midst of some kind of "no-carb crash". I started NK on Monday of this week, so that had to be it right?

There was some discussion earlier about wheat and depression. Is this covered in Wheat Belly? I have the book but I'm pretty sure when I read it I was not interested in giving up my bagel and cream cheese. I need to read it again, obviously. I definitely went through a withdrawal when I stopped eating wheat, much like quitting smoking. Feelings of sadness and being tearful and depressed. I spent the first weeks trying to find a substitute for wheat. Peanut butter bread, coconut drop biscuits. As time went by it didn't seem to matter anymore and I decided to fore go ALL grain, and I've stopped looking for substitutes. I definitely had a wheat addiction.

Reddarin, I'm asking in advance so as not to presume, if I give you my stats would you help me figure out my protein/calorie needs?

This is interesting. When I've started to crash in the afternoon, it wasn't due to a lack of energy, I actually felt like I was having a panic attack. Lightheaded, heart pounding, nausea, couldn't catch my breath. I thought it was due to lack of protein as I had been holding off on eating any significant amounts until dinner.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:28 AM   #1543
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Wow! That is a ton of reading. I did that on the very first thread back in October that Kristn had posted - about 50 pages I think - so I know the effort you put in!

Quote:
Yeah, you crashed but that is really good news I think. It means, I believe, that you are undergoing the conversion to fat as a fuel source from carbs.

Don't worry about calories during this period. Eat lots of fats that are not high in PUFAs. Don't binge on protein.

The good news is that once you become keto-adapted you will be kicking *everyone* else's butt at serving. No kidding. Your job is essentially an endurance sport and keto-adapted athletes don't suffer from bonking the way carb fueled athletes do. I expect that you'll be pretty shocked about it when it happens and you realize it

I'm not saying you won't be tired or beat at the end of a busy shift or that your feet will hurt less. But I am saying that you'll notice that you don't need a 'second wind' and that other carb eating servers will be tuckered when you are still going strong. Sort of like how Morpheus told Neo that when he was ready he wouldn't have to dodge bullets.

I'm curious to know, either way, so keep us posted.

Quote:
It seems like Davis touched on it but he sure didn't dwell on it if he even mentioned it because there are no clinical trials. He probably had to walk a fine line on not getting sued when someone quit wheat and wasn't magically cured of any and all maladies no matter how he qualified his statements.

Quote:
Other than maybe some pow-wow about this or that all I need to know is your goal weight to plug into my spreadsheet. You have that in your profile blurb so here ya go...

Goal Weight: 135

NK Page:
(x*(1-.18)*0.6 = 66-111

Exercise Page:
(x/2.2)*0.8 = 49
(x/2.2)*1.2 = 74
(x/2.2)*1.5 = 92
(x/2.2)*1.8 = 110

Dr. Phinney's recommendation is 1.5g/kg that results in 92g protein daily.

For a goal weight of 135 the calorie goal would be : 2148 (35kCal/kg) with a floor of 1841 (30kCal/kg - for an obese and/or very sedentary person).

Calories: 2148

Protein grams: 92 (368 ~ calories)
Fat grams: 198 (1782 ~ calories)
Carb grams: ??

Old 11-30-2012, 09:28 AM   #1544
Senior LCF Member

Good morning friends

Yesterday I ate a couple servings of veggies for the first time in a few weeks. They were delicious I had a small amount of broccoli and caul roasted with garlic cloves, and then some brussel sprout salad. They cured the tummy trouble I was having I also had a couple squares of 85% organic dark chocolate which is much sweeter than the 90%
I noticed I was really hungry when I woke up this morning and I'm assuming it's from the veggies.

I was down 1.1lbs this morning
Old 11-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #1545
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
This is interesting. When I've started to crash in the afternoon, it wasn't due to a lack of energy, I actually felt like I was having a panic attack. Lightheaded, heart pounding, nausea, couldn't catch my breath. I thought it was due to lack of protein as I had been holding off on eating any significant amounts until dinner.
Your crash was probably a blood sugar related crash. It sounds like it. Maybe CT will tell us, I bet she knows if those are low BS symptoms.

Her crash was the classic carb flu type crash - fuzzy headed, unable to concentrate, listless, etc.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:32 AM   #1546
Blabbermouth!!!

Doh! heh forgot that I eat cauliflower too Becky till I read Ocean's post.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #1547
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alizgurl View Post
Good morning friends

Yesterday I ate a couple servings of veggies for the first time in a few weeks. They were delicious I had a small amount of broccoli and caul roasted with garlic cloves, and then some brussel sprout salad. They cured the tummy trouble I was having I also had a couple squares of 85% organic dark chocolate which is much sweeter than the 90%
I noticed I was really hungry when I woke up this morning and I'm assuming it's from the veggies.

Hmmm. I can't tell if this should be a 'Hooray!!! you are down!!!' or 'What??? you need to quit losing weight!!!' type thing lol
Old 11-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #1548
Major LCF Poster!

Red what did Oceania say about cauliflower ?
Old 11-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #1549
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Good morning friends

Congrats, BELOW goal!
Old 11-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #1550
Senior LCF Member

Insatiable hunger today, stomach will not stop growling..
So I ate 5.3 oz Neufchatel to shut it up.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #1551
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Red what did Oceania say about cauliflower ?
Oh, nothing really, she just mentioned that she'd eaten some and I realized I'd left it off my list of veggies that you asked about earlier
Old 11-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #1552
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/IDK/140
WOE: Currently JUDDD
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Wow! That is a ton of reading. I did that on the very first thread back in October that Kristn had posted - about 50 pages I think - so I know the effort you put in!

Yeah, you crashed but that is really good news I think. It means, I believe, that you are undergoing the conversion to fat as a fuel source from carbs.

Don't worry about calories during this period. Eat lots of fats that are not high in PUFAs. Don't binge on protein.

The good news is that once you become keto-adapted you will be kicking *everyone* else's butt at serving. No kidding. Your job is essentially an endurance sport and keto-adapted athletes don't suffer from bonking the way carb fueled athletes do. I expect that you'll be pretty shocked about it when it happens and you realize it

I'm not saying you won't be tired or beat at the end of a busy shift or that your feet will hurt less. But I am saying that you'll notice that you don't need a 'second wind' and that other carb eating servers will be tuckered when you are still going strong. Sort of like how Morpheus told Neo that when he was ready he wouldn't have to dodge bullets.

I'm curious to know, either way, so keep us posted.

It seems like Davis touched on it but he sure didn't dwell on it if he even mentioned it because there are no clinical trials. He probably had to walk a fine line on not getting sued when someone quit wheat and wasn't magically cured of any and all maladies no matter how he qualified his statements.

Other than maybe some pow-wow about this or that all I need to know is your goal weight to plug into my spreadsheet. You have that in your profile blurb so here ya go...

Goal Weight: 135

NK Page:
(x*(1-.18)*0.6 = 66-111

Exercise Page:
(x/2.2)*0.8 = 49
(x/2.2)*1.2 = 74
(x/2.2)*1.5 = 92
(x/2.2)*1.8 = 110

Dr. Phinney's recommendation is 1.5g/kg that results in 92g protein daily.

For a goal weight of 135 the calorie goal would be : 2148 (35kCal/kg) with a floor of 1841 (30kCal/kg - for an obese and/or very sedentary person).

Calories: 2148

Protein grams: 92 (368 ~ calories)
Fat grams: 198 (1782 ~ calories)
Carb grams: ??

Thanks so much for the info Darin!

I have done LC before but this is all new territory for me. Fat is my friend? What a concept! I absolutely cannot reveal to my family this WOE. It's gonna be no grain, no sugar, no starch... otherwise they will FREAK out. I feel it's the right way to go BUT, I don't have the "chops" to explain myself yet...

It's just me and DH at home but I get to see my grown children all the time (lucky me!). DH loves salads and protein (and sweets, oh my). Not hard at all to follow.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #1553
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hmmm. I can't tell if this should be a 'Hooray!!! you are down!!!' or 'What??? you need to quit losing weight!!!' type thing lol
I don't really know? I do have a little extra around my lower belly and I have bigger thighs and arms. I really need to get in the gym and gain a lil muscle back and tone up.
I'm going to continue to eat veggies more now.
Tonight I'm gonna have a big chicken salad from one of my favorite pizza places and cover it in blue cheese dressing.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #1554
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
That stuff is really tangy isn't it?

You can have my serving and I hereby bequeath to you all of my future servings forever and ever amen.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:54 AM   #1555
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I don't really know? I do have a little extra around my lower belly and I have bigger thighs and arms. I really need to get in the gym and gain a lil muscle back and tone up.
I'm going to continue to eat veggies more now.
Tonight I'm gonna have a big chicken salad from one of my favorite pizza places and cover it in blue cheese dressing.
Did you ever measure your wrist to find out your frame size? Maybe you can still lose a little bit more weight?

Or just plan on punching your BF periodically when he remarks about your ribs.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:08 AM   #1556
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That stuff is really tangy isn't it?

You can have my serving and I hereby bequeath to you all of my future servings forever and ever amen.

Yeah, it kinda tastes like a cross between sharp cheddar and cream cheese, if that makes sense. I don't LOVE it, just had it on hand, happy to finish the dang thing off so I can move on to real cream cheese for snacks tomorrow. Almost done my second and last wedge of brie too.

Last edited by mizzcase; 11-30-2012 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #1557
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Did you ever measure your wrist to find out your frame size? Maybe you can still lose a little bit more weight?

Or just plan on punching your BF periodically when he remarks about your ribs.

Hahah I think that's a good plan! I broke my ribs and breast bone up to my collar bone last year so maybe that has something to do with them sticking out even tho they've always been big.

Haven't measured yet... I couldn't find a soft tape measure.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #1558
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
Well I made it.
Not trying to sound like im giving a speech here... but
From the bottom of my heart I thank you guys! I feel blessed to have found this thread. I've been thinking all morning about how a low carb forum has played such a big role in my life, It's not the forum, it's the people that make it. This is so much more than just a website to talk about low carb, to me this is a LIFE support forum because we definitely don't keep it all low carb Now I don't wanna get too sappy on all of you, but for people that I have never met and probably never will, I really do hold you all dear to my heart and care for each and every one of you!

Red, can you figure out my macros again since everything has changed and i'm going to start focusing more on fat.

I'm 5'5 med frame? 139.8
and I'd really like to be around 133-135
Congratulations! That is quite an accomplishment!
Old 11-30-2012, 10:23 AM   #1559
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
MMMM, Neufchatel. Although it's very similar to cream cheese, I can taste the subtle difference and sometimes prefer it.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #1560
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
Start Date: 10/24/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablis View Post
thanks how long does it keep?
I will keep it for 2 weeks (hardly anything left by that point anyhow). After that, go by smell I guess
Closed Thread