Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #1501
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Austin, and San Antonio too, are great towns .... if you are drinking a lot lol
Ditto and ditto...I loved Austin, and I miss it a lot (despite the heat). The music scene is really great- especially the bluesy bars.

I went to San Antonio, but wasn't so so impressed, but I think that just has to do with me not being all to familiar with it.

Have fun while you are there Mizzcase!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #1502
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
I have heard of Red Oak Sophie!!

San Antonio is great to visit as a tourist but Austin, that is a good place to live. Love the people in Austin.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #1503
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tablis
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Uhh, my first thought really was "wow, she's got b*lls!
Old 11-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #1504
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
Becky, here is my mayo reicpe

Ingredients
1 whole pastured egg at room temperature
1 pastured egg yolk at room temperature
1 tsp of dijon style mustard
1.5 tbs of fresh lemon juice
¾ cups of Chosen Foods Avocado Oil
pinch of sea salt
Instructions
Using a food processor, blender or immersion blender combine egg, egg yolk, mustard, lemon and salt.
Process about 30 seconds
Slowly drizzle the oil into the egg mixture – slowly!
Once combined, taste and season to your liking (add more salt, lemon or mustard)
Notes

Store in a glass jar with lid. Will keep in the fridge for 2 weeks.

Also, other mentioned that you can just put all ingred. together and use an immersion blender- I might try that instead of a processor...
thanks how long does it keep?
Old 11-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #1505
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Sandy, even WW has adopted a lower carb diet if I understand correctly. But, on WW I never was satisfied and obsessed about food constantly. Now, my obsession is this darn site! Can't get anything done
Once upon a time it worked for me but once I had done LC, stalled and tried to switch to WW for awhile and I just couldn't manage, felt starving, headaches all the time, ran out of calories and was trying eat a whole farm worth of vegs to keep from passing out... I always feel satisfied on LC and don't think about food at least.. even if its annoying to be stalled.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:28 PM   #1506
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Oh, I keep forgetting to post this, hope it helps some of you that are frustrated with your scale.

I have this "vintage" pair of Liz Clairborne denim shorts, they are probably 20 years old or more, they are not worn at all b/c I can only remember being thin enough in the last 20 years to wear them, one time. Anyway, they are size 14 and for those of us who are old enough, sizes of womens clothing just keep going down in size but up in how big they are. Like even at 128 lbs, I wore a size 14 in high school, I would guess that I would wear a 6 or an 8 now. Ok, back to my story. I searched around when I started NK for the smallest thing I could find, I had given away most of my thinner clothing. I found these at the bottom of a drawer in a guest room. So, I have been trying them on once a week since I started. At first, the waistband had a gap of at least 6 inches, then slowly, it got less and less. This morning, I fastened them and zipped them up! I could barely walk mind you, but I had those bad boys on!
that's progress!
Old 11-30-2012, 03:36 AM   #1507
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Hi to All!
Misscase - you are off to a great start! Congrats! My DD1 lives in Austin, it is a great place. I'd stay far away from McAllen. DH used to go there on business and a year ago he heard one of those drug wars firing off! Right by his hotel. That did it for me. There are webconferences for that stuff! I have some wine a couple times a week; a few on the other NK thread have vodka drinks, doesn't seem to hurt them.
I'm so excited to hear that about the drinks.. any difference between red and white wine? I prefer white, but if red is better, I won't discriminate :-)

Weighed this morning when I got up.. 123.4, so -1.6 from yesterday. Again, I'll take it. Gonna wait until tomorrow to record my weight in my profile, see if I can get down anymore.

No class today, just staying home and studying. Have a great day everyone
Old 11-30-2012, 04:27 AM   #1508
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Yeah, lots of little bars that are cool in Austin. Being the state capitol and a big college city it is a hustling and bustling place for sure.

I didn't care much for San Antonio [and the bars weren't all that great either]. Touring the Alamo was interesting, of course, but the whole city struck me as a really big Six Flags park. Know what I mean? Everything was touristy. Like maybe the Pier in San Francisco.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:37 AM   #1509
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablis View Post
My understanding was that frankenfoods are foods that man has changed around like gmo, canola etc and aren't the way the occur in nature. Maybe
I'm wrong.
I just don't find the "natural is good, man-made is bad" paradigm believable.

Most completely natural stuff is inedible or toxic to us to one extent or another -- either that or it will run away from you. The modifications we have made to plants and animals over the millennia for the most part are attempts to remedy toxicity or make stuff easier to farm.

To a first approximation, unless you brought down an antelope this morning, my guess is 90% of what you are eating today qualifies as a "frankenfood".

I'll admit that the resultant overabundance of certain foods (carbs) in our diet has created a new, perhaps unexpected issue for us. But even so, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that is a lesser problem compared to living under conditions where starving to death is a real possibility.

--
Phillip
Old 11-30-2012, 04:50 AM   #1510
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Lordy, me too. Stuck there for months and months till NK. I hope you are successful as I was/am

Be real careful of anything labeled by the mainstream as a 'healthy fat' or 'heart healthy'. They aren't. Watch out for high PUFA fats. You cannot avoid it entirely, which is fine because you do need a very small amount in your diet, but try to eat high mono and saturated fats.
So red, should we be tracking our different fat cal/% ratios in relation to one another in addtion to everything else?

Does this typical day look ok? (sorry I couldn't get it to format nicely in columns)

GRAMS CAL % CALS
Total Fat 155.18 1356.1 75.9
Saturated Fat 36.71 321.7 23.7
Polyunsaturated Fat 23.03 203 15
Monounsaturated Fat 83.43 725.2 53.5
Old 11-30-2012, 04:51 AM   #1511
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKSL55 View Post

Most completely natural stuff is inedible or toxic to us to one extent or another -- either that or it will run away from you. The modifications we have made to plants and animals over the millennia for the most part are attempts to remedy toxicity or make stuff easier to farm.

To a first approximation, unless you brought down an antelope this morning, my guess is 90% of what you are eating today qualifies as a "frankenfood".

I'll admit that the resultant overabundance of certain foods (carbs) in our diet has created a new, perhaps unexpected issue for us. But even so, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that is a lesser problem compared to living under conditions where starving to death is a real possibility.

--
Phillip
well put and point taken
Old 11-30-2012, 04:54 AM   #1512
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Weighed this morning when I got up.. 123.4, so -1.6 from yesterday. Again, I'll take it. Gonna wait until tomorrow to record my weight in my profile, see if I can get down anymore.
That's great
HEY can you share your food journal? you seem to be doing something right!
Old 11-30-2012, 04:57 AM   #1513
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Wow!!!! Thank you for that. I have always wondered why one little sentence in the P/V book on performance (I think) said they do not recommend MCT oil, but no real explanation.

I'm just starting bottle #2 (they are large and last a long time) and now might re-think how much of this "frankenoil" I will be using. But I love it in my coffee!!!! :cry:
I interpreted that to mean that if you were eating a lot of MCT's you would not be sure your blood ketone readings were from that, or from beta oxidation of your own fat stores.

Know the major way we chemically alter our food? Cooking and eating it!

For people that are uncomfortable (or unaware) of the fact that living organisms are chemical factories that ingest food (more chemicals), degrade that food chemically, starting with that hydrochloric acid bath in your stomach and the host of "man-made" enzymes in your saliva, then build it up into other structures -- well drawing attention to that process makes it sounds bad. But it is beside the point. It isn't the tool used (chemistry) that determines whether something is healthy to eat or not. Nor whether it meets someones definition of "natural".

100% natural: tetrodotoxin and coral snake venom. Poison Ivy. (Actually poison ivy is a staple food for deer in winter -- but most of us have a problem with it.) Aflatoxin. I would recommend avoiding all of them, though.

--
Phillip
Old 11-30-2012, 05:04 AM   #1514
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
oh the joys of the hormonal fluctuations. i am up a pound today. but TOM is looming...feeling bloaty and crampy...not much i can do about that. but i also think i ate a bit salty yesterday. so will keep that in check.

today's menu:

6oz grass-fed 75% burger with 2T mayo and a little sf ketchup
2oz coconut butter

5oz rotisserie chicken fried in 2T butter topped with guys bbq (this is THE BEST sf bbq btw, get it thru netrition, cheap too...just ordered 4 more bottles )
2T PB

1797 cals
158 g fat (79.1%)
68 g protein (15%)
11 net g carbs (2.4%)
Old 11-30-2012, 05:06 AM   #1515
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Sandy, even WW has adopted a lower carb diet if I understand correctly. But, on WW I never was satisfied and obsessed about food constantly. Now, my obsession is this darn site! Can't get anything done
Peter Attia wrote a blog post explaining that nearly all popular diets probably derive their effectiveness from a decrease in carbs relative to the standard American diet. You can read it here. (Attia has no advertising on his site, so it is okay to link to here.)

--
Phillip
Old 11-30-2012, 05:26 AM   #1516
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
So red, should we be tracking our different fat cal/% ratios in relation to one another in addtion to everything else?

Does this typical day look ok? (sorry I couldn't get it to format nicely in columns)

GRAMS CAL % CALS
Total Fat 155.18 1356.1 75.9
Saturated Fat 36.71 321.7 23.7
Polyunsaturated Fat 23.03 203 15
Monounsaturated Fat 83.43 725.2 53.5
No, you wouldn't normally need to track micro fat ratios and I do not recall ever hearing any particular ratio as superior to another other than the general exhortation for minimal PUFAs when choosing LC fats.

Yes, your day looks fine to me but it looks like you are not eating coconut oil? Love that stuff! So many good things about it.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:26 AM   #1517
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That's great
HEY can you share your food journal? you seem to be doing something right!
Hey tablis, no problem. Here's yesterday:

Breakfast: coffee w/ 1T HWC, diet root beer w/ 3T HWC
Lunch: 2 oz brie, 1 oz macadamia nuts
Snack: 1 oz Neufchatel cheese (prefer full fat cream cheese, working through this before it goes bad though)
Dinner: 3 oz chicken breast rolled up with slice of bacon, 1/8c cheddar cheese, 1 tsp butter, topped with 4T sour cream
Dessert: Jody's pumpkin bake w/ 10T whipped cream (from a can, with sugar, shudder!)
Realized I needed more protein so I had 2 slices of roast beef rolled up with 2 slices provolone, a pickle, and dab of dijon mustard

1524 calories, 19g carbs, 4g fiber, 124g fat, 71g protein

Here was Wednesday:
Breakfast: coffee w/ 1T HWC, diet root beer w/ 4T HWC
Lunch: 2 oz brie
Snack: 2 oz brie again
Dinner: Same as last nights dinner
Snack: Jodys pumpkin bake w/ 13.6T whipped cream (can you tell I love whipped cream?
Still hungry, so 2oz Neufchatel

1459 calories, 14g carbs, 3g fiber, 121g fat, 61g protein

I do tend to only eat fat in the morning and save my protein for later because I never know if my boyfriend will want to go out for a meal and what options will be available. Have been getting lightheaded/out of my element in the afternoon though and I think its due to lack of protein, so will be changing my eating a little bit starting today.

Gosh this was long, sorry!
Old 11-30-2012, 05:31 AM   #1518
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
i ate a bit salty yesterday. so will keep that in check
Eat salty! LC is not a water retention way of living which is a dramatic contrast to the high carb get fat and stay fat standard mainstream zombie way of living.

I went from a heck of a lot of water a day to a lot less a day and the only difference I noticed was less trips to the bathroom.

Hormonal fluctuations may impact it but take care to eat enough salt to avoid leg and foot cramps in particular but sodium is a very important mineral for living.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:40 AM   #1519
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

--
Phillip
" just don't find the "natural is good, man-made is bad" paradigm believable. "

I agree with this in principle - particularly where it concerns the zealotry of ogranics and paleo ways of eating and living.

"my guess is 90% of what you are eating today qualifies as a "frankenfood""

This I do not agree with at all. Of course there is a level of processing involved in practically every thing around you and what makes something magically transition from nondescript to frankenfood is certainly a fuzzy area.

But the level of artificial ingredients, processing and material manipulation between an Atkins LC bar and a 96% cocoa bar is a chasm. In that chasm the word frankenfood becomes pretty accurate, no?

I'm with you in spirit though Phillip. There is a undercurrent of primitive worship to it that should make anyone's eyebrows go up lol.

Last edited by reddarin; 11-30-2012 at 05:41 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 11-30-2012, 05:52 AM   #1520
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I interpreted that to mean that if you were eating a lot of MCT's you would not be sure your blood ketone readings were from that, or from beta oxidation of your own fat stores.
Yep. I think the doc that mentioned not recommending it was saying that in the context of thinking that MCT oil (which CO is rich in) would allow high carb consumption because it enhances/encourages the production of ketones.

Quote:
100% natural: tetrodotoxin and coral snake venom. Poison Ivy. (Actually poison ivy is a staple food for deer in winter -- but most of us have a problem with it.) Aflatoxin. I would recommend avoiding all of them, though.

--
Phillip
Boy howdy! I spent the better part of my youth living in fear of poison ivy! I can't count the number of times I suffered from exposure to it. I think only in the last decade or so that I have become less allergic to it. God Bless the deer for eating as much as they please

They are unaffected or they just suffer through a rash around their mouth?
Old 11-30-2012, 06:03 AM   #1521
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
11 net g carbs (2.4%)
Just so you know and the lurkers know, NK tracks total carbs not net carbs. No worries about what you are doing and your numbers look great. Just want to keep confusion to a minimum because I've seen the net versus total question for NK come up several times.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:12 AM   #1522
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Picked up some macadmia nuts on Tuesday, I hadn't had any in quite a while and love them and feel they are a good source of fat. Anyway, I had some that night and was interested to see that my ketones the next morning were 1.8, when I usually get 1.0 or so. Ate some again last night, before bed and this morning my ketones were 2.0. So, it looks like that fat, or even more fat than usual and I usually eat a lot of fat, raised the ketone level. Now, would that mean I would be more apt to lose weight, or, is it just a measurement of dietary fat in my system? So many questions, wish we had all the answers. I haven't been logging my food so don't have my totals for the day to compare. My weight was up a lb but I don't pay too much attention to daily weight fluctuations, they go up and down all week long.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:04 AM   #1523
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
I'm so excited to hear that about the drinks.. any difference between red and white wine? I prefer white, but if red is better, I won't discriminate :-)

No class today, just staying home and studying. Have a great day everyone
I am not certain if there's a different between reds/whites...I do not care for white, and red is heart healthy in moderation. Note that my amount to drink without issues is about 6oz. Kristn on the other thread noticed that drinking several glasses stalls her out.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:08 AM   #1524
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
red is heart healthy
Couldn't agree more!

Old 11-30-2012, 07:10 AM   #1525
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/14
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Quote:
I am not certain if there's a different between reds/whites...I do not care for white, and red is heart healthy in moderation. Note that my amount to drink without issues is about 6oz. Kristn on the other thread noticed that drinking several glasses stalls her out.
I've noticed that several glasses make me start looking for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches... I've been wine-free since I started NK this week and I love a good Pinot Noir (red). I don't want to drink any alcohol until I see how I'm going to do on this.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:12 AM   #1526
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
All this talk about wine has me missing it. I thought it best to not indulge until fat adapted.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:15 AM   #1527
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/14
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
All this talk about wine has me missing it. I thought it best to not indulge until fat adapted.
That's was I was thinking too. It's very hard for me to have 1 6oz glass. I need at least 2!
Old 11-30-2012, 07:17 AM   #1528
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MyIdealSelf
I'm not sure how to get to 80/15/5. I've been running 60/36/4. This is probably because I don't like vegetables and fruits are too high in carbs. My maintenance level carbs is only 18-20, so my goal is less than 10 cabs a day.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:28 AM   #1529
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyIdealSelf View Post
I'm not sure how to get to 80/15/5. I've been running 60/36/4. This is probably because I don't like vegetables and fruits are too high in carbs. My maintenance level carbs is only 18-20, so my goal is less than 10 cabs a day.
HWC and coconut oil add more fat with minimal (HWC) and no (CO) carbs.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:37 AM   #1530
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Morning all,did not post yesterday .i stayed in bed all day and slept..I think I was tired and upset about my weight, I did not cheat one time.i did eat more nuts and cheese than I usely do,thinking I would just not lose any thing but not gain,I was 164.2 got up yesterday I was 169.8 how depressing that was!!i maybe should have ate the cheese cake,it would have been worth the 5 lbs but not cheating and gained 5 lbs so I did not eat any thing yesterday at all.weight this morning was 167. Don't no why I let this upset me so much, guess watching others eating cookies cakes and I was good and gained just was not fare!!
Any way I'm back on track today.going to make me some eggs and bacon this morning.