Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #1411
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 8,923
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Thanks Sandy, you have been with me through thick and thin

Yes, tis the season for bugs of all kinds to be passed back and forth with all of us, and are your GGS's in daycare, I know the kids bring lots of germs home to share with the whole family.
Buffy45 is offline  

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #1412
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 309
Gallery: tablis
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
I'm confused, I always thought franken foods were processed foods, like some of the LC items out there in the market? I would think MCT oil would fall under fats for our WOE. I just ordered a bottle to try in my morning coffee, read that it is 100% MCT where coconut oil is not 100%. Not to worry, not giving up my glorious CO, love that stuff.
My understanding was that frankenfoods are foods that man has changed around like gmo, canola etc and aren't the way the occur in nature. Maybe
I'm wrong. This is a quote from WebMD "Medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) are partially man-made fats. The name refers to the way the carbon atoms are arranged in their chemical structure. MCTs are generally made by processing coconut and palm kernel oils in the laboratory".
CO on the other hand is just squeezed out of a coconut and seems more natural. Just wondering.
BTW- buffy don't know if this is applicable here but here is a quote from wikipedia about mcts " Their use is not recommended for diabetics unless under supervised medical treatment "
tablis is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 11:44 AM   #1413
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 8,923
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablis View Post
BTW- buffy don't know if this is applicable here but here is a quote from wikipedia about mcts " Their use is not recommended for diabetics unless under supervised medical treatment "
Oh my, well, I have been fine with the CO, I will take it easy as I start on the MCT oil and watch for any side effects. Unless it is rapid weight loss, then will not be in a hurry to check on that.
Buffy45 is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 11:44 AM   #1414
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 309
Gallery: tablis
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Tablis, I was having a really sour stomach with my stomach just hurting, it wasn't cramping, it just felt sour and hurt. I don't know what it was but like I said, it did go away when I went off the mag, but didn't recur when I started back up and I ramped it up fairly quickly.

when I first read your post, I thought you said, took 400mg in the ARM, I thought, wow, is she injecting this stuff!!! Pays to read a little slower at time
tablis is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #1415
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 8,923
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablis View Post
Uhh, my first thought really was "wow, she's got b*lls!
Buffy45 is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #1416
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
JMCM1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,216
Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Oh my, well, I have been fine with the CO, I will take it easy as I start on the MCT oil and watch for any side effects. Unless it is rapid weight loss, then will not be in a hurry to check on that.
Oh PLEASE report quickly if you have that side effect!
I'm anxious to have that horrible side effect, too!
JMCM1 is online now  
Old 11-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #1417
Senior LCF Member
 
Snoangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 389
Gallery: Snoangel
Stats: 214/135/139
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: July 2010
Buffy, it's called "Gosh that's good white velvet" some coffee stands use it for sugar free white choc drinks.
It's seriously the very best i've ever tasted! You can get it on amazon in big tubs that would last forever but they're almost $50.00! WOW
My stepmom is addicted to the stuff so I'll use it every once in awhile.
Snoangel is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #1418
Senior LCF Member
 
Snoangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 389
Gallery: Snoangel
Stats: 214/135/139
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Uhh, my first thought really was "wow, she's got b*lls!
Haaaaaaha wow!
Snoangel is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #1419
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 118
Gallery: Anjikun
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
The short answer is ... yes, I have changed my opinion on this - but...

It is very situational and only applies when there is a calorie goal. If you aren't watching calories then fatty protein is probably best. If you are not logging, which essentially is the same thing as not watching calories I do not care what you say otherwise lol, really fatty protein is best because I think you will end up with low fat and high protein elsewise.

Mostly it applies in two situations:

1) Your calorie goal is fairly low. Eating low fat protein makes it much easier to manage your fat macro with a low calorie restriction and still get in enough fat.

2) Your trying to get really high on your fat macro (80%+). Here too it makes it much easier to eat enough protein and control your fat intake with a finer granularity than otherwise.

I think.

I'd like to hear anyone's opinion on it if they have one especially if they disagree.
Can't say that I would disagree per se (seems logical enough) but there is one other element to consider: once you start eating the fatty (yummy) cuts of beef and chicken with the skin on, lean meat just doesn't seem worth the trouble!
Anjikun is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #1420
Major LCF Poster!
 
cici52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,633
Gallery: cici52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Looks like you have lost 50 lbs in a year, that is a wonderful rate of loss. Don't be too quick to jump from plan to plan, give each a chance to work for you. Not up on your history, so if I am speaking out of turn, please forgive me.
Not out of turn at all. I lost 50+ pounds over about two and a half years (hard to remember exactly). I think the primary catalyst was going gluten and dairy free. Stayed the same for a couple years. Added back gluten and dairy. No real problem at first. Then up and down from 196 to 212 since losing my retail job last January. Unable to get back below 200 for the life of me. The time involved is all very fuzzy. I should look up some old pictures. My set point seems to be around 205. It has been a battle to stay under that.

Have done mostly calorie counting as LC failed me several times earlier in life and the rebound is crazy when you go off it. When I started JUDDD, I ate all the things I missed while calorie counting and got pretty sick. I am gluten free again as of a couple weeks ago and am hoping the added fat in this new incarnation of LC will make the difference. I am still a pretty hungry person by calorie counting standards. I stop thinking about food somewhere around 1700-2000 calories if I have done everything else right. I have always craved fat and salt but used to put it on top of carbs. When I did LC many years ago, it was also low fat so I could not stick to it. NK is actually pretty satisfying. Now if the weight would just start to drop, I will be a believer.
cici52 is online now  
Old 11-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #1421
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
JMCM1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,216
Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Not out of turn at all. I lost 50+ pounds over about two and a half years (hard to remember exactly). I think the primary catalyst was going gluten and dairy free. Stayed the same for a couple years. Added back gluten and dairy. No real problem at first. Then up and down from 196 to 212 since losing my retail job last January. Unable to get back below 200 for the life of me. The time involved is all very fuzzy. I should look up some old pictures. My set point seems to be around 205. It has been a battle to stay under that.

Have done mostly calorie counting as LC failed me several times earlier in life and the rebound is crazy when you go off it. When I started JUDDD, I ate all the things I missed while calorie counting and got pretty sick. I am gluten free again as of a couple weeks ago and am hoping the added fat in this new incarnation of LC will make the difference. I am still a pretty hungry person by calorie counting standards. I stop thinking about food somewhere around 1700-2000 calories if I have done everything else right. I have always craved fat and salt but used to put it on top of carbs. When I did LC many years ago, it was also low fat so I could not stick to it. NK is actually pretty satisfying. Now if the weight would just start to drop, I will be a believer.
Have you recently had your blood sugar tested?

I found this way of eating to be such a good fit for me, as you did, because I have always loved fat but also put it on top of carbs. The newer flours and sweeteners have just made this such a great way to eat, as far as I'm concerned.
JMCM1 is online now  
Old 11-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #1422
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Yeah, frankenfoods are an eye of the beholder type thing like beauty.

I wouldn't consider MCT oil frankenfood though because I don't consider refined CO to be frankenfood and MCT is sort of a distillate of CO.

When I mention frankenfoods I am usually talking about highly refined and highly processed fake food. Like the LC Atkins bars and shakes.

But if my situation demanded it I wouldn't hesitate to use/eat that sort of stuff. Like, no time or no way to eat a good LC lunch. I'd eat an Atkins bar/shake in a New York minute in that situation and be very happy they were available.

Usually you see someone remark about frankenfoods in response to someone asking for help because they aren't losing weight or aren't losing fast enough. In that case, with the scenario I gave, I'd try to skip lunch rather than eat the frankenfood that might be stalling me.

reddarin is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #1423
Senior LCF Member
 
sasonnier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 247
Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Becky, here is my mayo reicpe

Ingredients
1 whole pastured egg at room temperature
1 pastured egg yolk at room temperature
1 tsp of dijon style mustard
1.5 tbs of fresh lemon juice
¾ cups of Chosen Foods Avocado Oil
pinch of sea salt
Instructions
Using a food processor, blender or immersion blender combine egg, egg yolk, mustard, lemon and salt.
Process about 30 seconds
Slowly drizzle the oil into the egg mixture – slowly!
Once combined, taste and season to your liking (add more salt, lemon or mustard)
Notes

Store in a glass jar with lid. Will keep in the fridge for 2 weeks.

Also, other mentioned that you can just put all ingred. together and use an immersion blender- I might try that instead of a processor...
__________________
_______________
-Sophie
sasonnier is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #1424
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
My set point seems to be around 205.
Lordy, me too. Stuck there for months and months till NK. I hope you are successful as I was/am

Be real careful of anything labeled by the mainstream as a 'healthy fat' or 'heart healthy'. They aren't. Watch out for high PUFA fats. You cannot avoid it entirely, which is fine because you do need a very small amount in your diet, but try to eat high mono and saturated fats.
reddarin is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #1425
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
I know the kids bring lots of germs home to share with the whole family.
lol I was just watching a youtube of Linux Action Show (ArchBang Review | LAS | s20e05) and they brought that up. Both of them have young kids and the one guy was like 'yeah, man I never got sick before I had kids and now I am sick all the dang time' heh
reddarin is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 12:20 PM   #1426
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by alizgurl View Post
139.8
Well I made it.
Not trying to sound like im giving a speech here... but
From the bottom of my heart I thank you guys! I feel blessed to have found this thread. I've been thinking all morning about how a low carb forum has played such a big role in my life, It's not the forum, it's the people that make it. This is so much more than just a website to talk about low carb, to me this is a LIFE support forum because we definitely don't keep it all low carb Now I don't wanna get too sappy on all of you, but for people that I have never met and probably never will, I really do hold you all dear to my heart and care for each and every one of you!

Red, can you figure out my macros again since everything has changed and i'm going to start focusing more on fat.

I'm 5'5 med frame? 139.8
and I'd really like to be around 133-135
Congrats Oceana Hooray!!!
reddarin is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #1427
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 118
Gallery: Anjikun
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Not out of turn at all. I lost 50+ pounds over about two and a half years (hard to remember exactly). I think the primary catalyst was going gluten and dairy free. Stayed the same for a couple years. Added back gluten and dairy. No real problem at first. Then up and down from 196 to 212 since losing my retail job last January. Unable to get back below 200 for the life of me. The time involved is all very fuzzy. I should look up some old pictures. My set point seems to be around 205. It has been a battle to stay under that.

Have done mostly calorie counting as LC failed me several times earlier in life and the rebound is crazy when you go off it. When I started JUDDD, I ate all the things I missed while calorie counting and got pretty sick. I am gluten free again as of a couple weeks ago and am hoping the added fat in this new incarnation of LC will make the difference. I am still a pretty hungry person by calorie counting standards. I stop thinking about food somewhere around 1700-2000 calories if I have done everything else right. I have always craved fat and salt but used to put it on top of carbs. When I did LC many years ago, it was also low fat so I could not stick to it. NK is actually pretty satisfying. Now if the weight would just start to drop, I will be a believer.
I agree with Judy that testing blood sugar might be a good idea. I was so worried about that (even though the doctor had tested and said it was fine) that I blood a glucometer and 50 strips and started testing. Part of what my concern was that I might have low blood sugar as a result of LC.

There's a site (bloodsugar101) that has information about what the truly healthy ranges are. I found that, when eating moderate-high carb my bloodsugars were slightly above the truly healthy range, but not much (although I feel gross when I eat that way). I also found that my blood sugar would go quite low after a high-carb meal.

It helped me a lot to know what was going on, but doing that moderate-high carb experiment set me back a lot--mainly because it caused a bread bringe after being gluten free for a long time. Once I went back to LC, my sugars were solidly normal (and definitely not low).

Mary
Anjikun is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #1428
Major LCF Poster!
 
cici52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,633
Gallery: cici52
Okay, I attached a couple of photos in my gallary of high weight and low weight since then. I just want to finish the journey.
cici52 is online now  
Old 11-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #1429
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 867
Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by alizgurl View Post
139.8
Well I made it.
Not trying to sound like im giving a speech here... but
From the bottom of my heart I thank you guys! I feel blessed to have found this thread. I've been thinking all morning about how a low carb forum has played such a big role in my life, It's not the forum, it's the people that make it. This is so much more than just a website to talk about low carb, to me this is a LIFE support forum because we definitely don't keep it all low carb Now I don't wanna get too sappy on all of you, but for people that I have never met and probably never will, I really do hold you all dear to my heart and care for each and every one of you!

Red, can you figure out my macros again since everything has changed and i'm going to start focusing more on fat.

I'm 5'5 med frame? 139.8
and I'd really like to be around 133-135
Woo hoo!!! I'm doing a happy dance for you! Congratulations!!!
shelley is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #1430
Major LCF Poster!
 
cici52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,633
Gallery: cici52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjikun View Post
I agree with Judy that testing blood sugar might be a good idea. I was so worried about that (even though the doctor had tested and said it was fine) that I blood a glucometer and 50 strips and started testing. Part of what my concern was that I might have low blood sugar as a result of LC.

There's a site (bloodsugar101) that has information about what the truly healthy ranges are. I found that, when eating moderate-high carb my bloodsugars were slightly above the truly healthy range, but not much (although I feel gross when I eat that way). I also found that my blood sugar would go quite low after a high-carb meal.

It helped me a lot to know what was going on, but doing that moderate-high carb experiment set me back a lot--mainly because it caused a bread bringe after being gluten free for a long time. Once I went back to LC, my sugars were solidly normal (and definitely not low).

Mary
The last time checked was when I was much heavier and BS was normal. I never have any BS type symptoms and I am very aware because of family members with type II - all obese. However, totally relate to the bread binge. Wheat will cause me to binge but not other grains.
cici52 is online now  
Old 11-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #1431
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 867
Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
First, thanks for the welcome Reddarin and alizgurl!

Buffy~ I loved your novel! It really gave me hope. I don't mind losing slow as long as it's a downward trend.

A short story about me: Lost 40 lbs doing JUDDD, gained back 18 in a year of NOT doing anything diet. Then I quit smoking 5 months ago (yay) and I gave up wheat about a month ago. Any type of grain seems to cause joint pain to flare, so I gave up all grains after Thanksgiving. I have HBP and take two pills a day. I'm also post-menopausal. I've never been a sweets eater but I loved breads of all kinds. I've done LC before but could never lose more than 10lbs max. I started NK this week.

I've been doing extensive reading everywhere I could find it. I'm sure you all have gleaned a lot from the internet. This thread is wonderful. I bought vitamin D and magnesium today and I promised myself that I would actually take it.

NK seems to offer hope to us who can't seem to lose any weight. I feel better for having "lost" the grains. I'm hoping this plan will help me feel as good as Buffy. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all.

~Blonde
and There are a few of us that are post-menopausal so that's fun. I hope you find that you feel well/healthy on this WOE. That's the big plus for me.
shelley is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #1432
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 118
Gallery: Anjikun
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Not out of turn at all. I lost 50+ pounds over about two and a half years (hard to remember exactly). I think the primary catalyst was going gluten and dairy free. Stayed the same for a couple years. Added back gluten and dairy. No real problem at first. Then up and down from 196 to 212 since losing my retail job last January. Unable to get back below 200 for the life of me. The time involved is all very fuzzy. I should look up some old pictures. My set point seems to be around 205. It has been a battle to stay under that.

Have done mostly calorie counting as LC failed me several times earlier in life and the rebound is crazy when you go off it. When I started JUDDD, I ate all the things I missed while calorie counting and got pretty sick. I am gluten free again as of a couple weeks ago and am hoping the added fat in this new incarnation of LC will make the difference. I am still a pretty hungry person by calorie counting standards. I stop thinking about food somewhere around 1700-2000 calories if I have done everything else right. I have always craved fat and salt but used to put it on top of carbs. When I did LC many years ago, it was also low fat so I could not stick to it. NK is actually pretty satisfying. Now if the weight would just start to drop, I will be a believer.
Another thing you might try is not weighing yourself every day, or even not weighing and going by measurements instead or how clothes fit (and not measuring/trying the clothes on everyday either). Once a week might be good. The problem with weighing everyday is that it's so discouraging, and it fluctuates a lot.

At one point I was like 40 pounds overweight and I lost it with WW. For me the weekly weigh-in was key. Something about having the nice WW lady weigh me and mark it in a book really made a difference.

Note that I certainly don't want to suggest that WW is a good method to lose weight. The plan itself was not very good for me (I was sooooo hungry all the time, and I ended up gaining much of the weight back), but that weekly weigh-in (and accountability, with the little book that they use) was great for me.

Hey, maybe someone should start a weekly weigh-in (measure-in) thread--that could be cool!
Anjikun is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #1433
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 867
Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablis View Post
My understanding was that frankenfoods are foods that man has changed around like gmo, canola etc and aren't the way the occur in nature. Maybe
I'm wrong. This is a quote from WebMD "Medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) are partially man-made fats. The name refers to the way the carbon atoms are arranged in their chemical structure. MCTs are generally made by processing coconut and palm kernel oils in the laboratory".
CO on the other hand is just squeezed out of a coconut and seems more natural. Just wondering.
BTW- buffy don't know if this is applicable here but here is a quote from wikipedia about mcts " Their use is not recommended for diabetics unless under supervised medical treatment "
Wow!!!! Thank you for that. I have always wondered why one little sentence in the P/V book on performance (I think) said they do not recommend MCT oil, but no real explanation.

I'm just starting bottle #2 (they are large and last a long time) and now might re-think how much of this "frankenoil" I will be using. But I love it in my coffee!!!!
shelley is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #1434
Way too much time on my hands!
 
sjl330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Middle America
Posts: 12,352
Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Thanks Sandy, you have been with me through thick and thin

Yes, tis the season for bugs of all kinds to be passed back and forth with all of us, and are your GGS's in daycare, I know the kids bring lots of germs home to share with the whole family.
Yes, they're both in daycare and the baby got his first cold. His Dr. told his momma that the average child in daycare gets 15 colds a year!!!!! She said, "he's going to be sick every month!" And the Dr said, yes probably. Ugh!
sjl330 is online now  
Old 11-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #1435
Way too much time on my hands!
 
sjl330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Middle America
Posts: 12,352
Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjikun View Post
Another thing you might try is not weighing yourself every day, or even not weighing and going by measurements instead or how clothes fit (and not measuring/trying the clothes on everyday either). Once a week might be good. The problem with weighing everyday is that it's so discouraging, and it fluctuates a lot.

At one point I was like 40 pounds overweight and I lost it with WW. For me the weekly weigh-in was key. Something about having the nice WW lady weigh me and mark it in a book really made a difference.

Note that I certainly don't want to suggest that WW is a good method to lose weight. The plan itself was not very good for me (I was sooooo hungry all the time, and I ended up gaining much of the weight back), but that weekly weigh-in (and accountability, with the little book that they use) was great for me.

Hey, maybe someone should start a weekly weigh-in (measure-in) thread--that could be cool!
I am a lifetime member of WW and worked for them twice. I've been below my WW goal for the last 12 years, at least. I really don't remember exactly. Of course, I set my WW goal as high as I could for my height so I'd have a bigger cushion to keep from having to pay when I go for my monthly weigh ins. I still go monthly b/c yes, there is something about it being "officially recorded". They always ask me if I need this or that, or a journal or coupons, etc. I always tell them, "No thank you. I'm low carbing." I am a big believer in accountability and do think it helps lead to success. I think this board helps us be accountable, especially when you've "known" somebody for years here.
__________________
Sandy

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT
sjl330 is online now  
Old 11-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #1436
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 867
Gallery: shelley
Hi all....I'm back with gusto.....totally discouraged the last couple weeks of doing "everything right" and gaining 5# which is why I stopped posting. But I am not going to give up. I just bought the glucose meter/strips that Buffy recommended. Even though my fasting BG levels aren't enough for any doc I've been to in the last few years to blink at (they refuse to discuss that I'm grain free, sugar free and therefore the over 100 levels aren't good!!!).

Major Red.....would you be so kind as to re-run my "numbers" for me. I'm having trouble, and you've changed your mind about lots of things...like raising protein grams and also calories. I'm ready for your new figures to see if maybe that is my problem. Either that or the glucose issues. I am also going to try some berberine. Ordered a small bottle of the 50% dosage so as to not cause digestive difficulties. Should be here in about a week.

OK...stats.

wrist 6" which makes me a small frame
64 yrs of age
5' 5-3/4" tall
Goal is 130 (currently 160)
Active....do weight lifting to failure 3 days a week

I have not been doing my ****** for the last 2 weeks of frustration, but will begin again today. Made fat bombs without the cocoa powder last night. I like them that way (I'm not a chocolate person....I guess that means I have enough magnesium in my body).

Tomorrow I have an appt. with the new head person at the gym where I lift weights with all the men (no other women do this!). I spoke with her briefly about putting together a program for me that will change every month or every other month. She's excited, and I am too. She asked me how I ate and I discovered she found that low carb, higher protein and much higher fat than normal works for her. I'm loaning her my 2 Phinney/Volek books when I go see her. She was excited to be able to read them. So, I'll let you all know if she discusses eating and all that. She did say she doesn't do carbs other than occasional veggies, but mostly proteins and the good saturated fats. She said she hasn't come across anyone doing NK before, so she's excited to work with me.

Thanks Major Red for your help.
__________________
Shelley
shelley is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #1437
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 8,923
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjikun View Post
Can't say that I would disagree per se (seems logical enough) but there is one other element to consider: once you start eating the fatty (yummy) cuts of beef and chicken with the skin on, lean meat just doesn't seem worth the trouble!
Ohhhh yea!!!
Buffy45 is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #1438
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by alizgurl View Post
Red, can you figure out my macros again since everything has changed and i'm going to start focusing more on fat.

I'm 5'5 med frame? 139.8
and I'd really like to be around 133-135
Goal Weight: 133

NK Page:
(x*(1-.18)*0.6 = 65-109

Exercise Page:
(x/2.2)*0.8 = 48
(x/2.2)*1.2 = 73
(x/2.2)*1.5 = 91
(x/2.2)*1.8 = 109

Dr. Phinney's recommendation is 1.5g/kg that results in 91g protein daily.

For a goal weight of 133 the calorie goal would be : 2116 (35kCal/kg) with a floor of 1814 (30kCal/kg - for an obese and/or very sedentary person).

Calories: 2116

Protein grams: 91 (364 ~ calories)
Fat grams: 195 (1755 ~ calories)
Carb grams: ??

reddarin is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #1439
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Okay, I attached a couple of photos in my gallary of high weight and low weight since then. I just want to finish the journey.
Wow! Cici! What an amazing transformation with 'just' 50 pounds! Great job!
reddarin is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #1440
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 8,923
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Hi all....I'm back with gusto.....totally discouraged the last couple weeks of doing "everything right" and gaining 5# which is why I stopped posting. But I am not going to give up. I just bought the glucose meter/strips that Buffy recommended. Even though my fasting BG levels aren't enough for any doc I've been to in the last few years to blink at (they refuse to discuss that I'm grain free, sugar free and therefore the over 100 levels aren't good!!!).

Major Red.....would you be so kind as to re-run my "numbers" for me. I'm having trouble, and you've changed your mind about lots of things...like raising protein grams and also calories. I'm ready for your new figures to see if maybe that is my problem. Either that or the glucose issues. I am also going to try some berberine. Ordered a small bottle of the 50% dosage so as to not cause digestive difficulties. Should be here in about a week.

OK...stats.

wrist 6" which makes me a small frame
64 yrs of age
5' 5-3/4" tall
Goal is 130 (currently 160)
Active....do weight lifting to failure 3 days a week

I have not been doing my ****** for the last 2 weeks of frustration, but will begin again today. Made fat bombs without the cocoa powder last night. I like them that way (I'm not a chocolate person....I guess that means I have enough magnesium in my body).

Tomorrow I have an appt. with the new head person at the gym where I lift weights with all the men (no other women do this!). I spoke with her briefly about putting together a program for me that will change every month or every other month. She's excited, and I am too. She asked me how I ate and I discovered she found that low carb, higher protein and much higher fat than normal works for her. I'm loaning her my 2 Phinney/Volek books when I go see her. She was excited to be able to read them. So, I'll let you all know if she discusses eating and all that. She did say she doesn't do carbs other than occasional veggies, but mostly proteins and the good saturated fats. She said she hasn't come across anyone doing NK before, so she's excited to work with me.

Thanks Major Red for your help.
Yay, Shelley is still going to hang with us and work on getting this WOE to work for her. You are a valued member, so glad you changed your mind.

Wow, your goal weight sounds so low to me I am the same height as you, just a teeny bit older and probably have a medium to large frame and I haven't weighed 130 since I went through a divorce, many years ago. I don't recommend that diet BTW!! And, you are working out and lifting weights which in my limited understanding of working out, that means your are building muscle and lowering your % of BF, right? That means you will be smaller at a higher weight than a person with higher BF. I know you were probably much thinner in your past than maybe the average person, but maybe you need to rethink that now. Not critizing here at all Shelley, but don't be too hard on yourself. Maybe 140 would be a nice goal to shoot for, heck, I am using the number 150 but not even sure I want to get to that. I don't want to be a skeeenny Grandma, just not a FAT Grandma. Food for thought, anyway. Just glad you are back Shelley!
__________________
Buffy
Buffy45 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:52 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.