Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #1351
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: manuela_w
Stats: 262/240/220
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Probably the best way is to eat very lean protein and then supplement with good non-PUFA fats.

But, frankly, it can be pretty tough to get so high on fat if you have any concern about protein grams and total calories. Seeing as how you are on induction then just eat a ton of fat and don't worry too much about the calories right now.

Google 'bullet proof coffee' for a very hight fat low/zero protein item.

Right now I am at about 15% protein.... my calories are always under 2,000 a day, too (usually 1700-1900).

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #1352
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Hey Guys! Welcome home Becky.
I made my own mayo a couple of weeks ago- and we all liked it very much. But, now we finished it and I have 2 eggs sitting out on my counter for the past 3 days (to get to room temperature to make the mayo) and I just can't break out the processor...I might tomorrow though...we'll see.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #1353
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Hey I forgot to ask.. I think I read on this thread, or maybe another in this forum, that when one of y'all started NK, you send away for your free meter. If this is still going on, can someone send me the link or offer some more info?
Old 11-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #1354
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Sophie can you give me your mayo recipe! Thanks.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #1355
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
When I am lazy, tired, or a combination....I use a small amount of Hellman's Olive Oil mixed with some other oil, because the soybean oil trips my allergies...I love making my own now, Judy is correct, it's soooo easy. I made some and added a bit of chipotle and wow! Inspires me to make some more.
Why didn't I think of that???
Good going and thanks for the tweak!
Old 11-29-2012, 02:53 AM   #1356
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: brandilynn1313
WOE: Ketogenic/Nutritional Ketosis
This is a skeleton recipe I use for mayo. Its a copycat for Duke's.

200 g oil - I use MCT and olive, sometimes mac nut, but not all macnut, since that'sa little macnutty for everything. :}
1 T White Vinegar (I use 1 T lime instead of white vinegar)
1 T Apple Cider vinegar
1 T Lemon Juice (I use another T of lime :} )
1 tsp salt
1/4 t dried mustard (I actually use 1/4 dark mustard and 1/4 yellow mustard and roast and grind them, but regular ol powdered mustard works fine)
1/4 t paprika (sometimes use smoked)
2 egg yolks (room temp)

I then put them all in the immersion blender cup and put the blender at the bottom, rocking back and forth until its goobledy goodness starts showing.

Yumz. The "hardest" part for me, mostly, is remembering to let the eggs come to room temp!
Old 11-29-2012, 03:32 AM   #1357
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Hey I forgot to ask.. I think I read on this thread, or maybe another in this forum, that when one of y'all started NK, you send away for your free meter. If this is still going on, can someone send me the link or offer some more info?
There are several people that participate in both threads so one of them may respond here but it is the other long thread that discussed it:

November Nutritional Ketosis Thread!

I bet you can still get the meter for free. The test strips are where the expense is.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:50 AM   #1358
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuela_w View Post
Right now I am at about 15% protein.... my calories are always under 2,000 a day, too (usually 1700-1900).
So you are getting somewhere between 63g and 75g of protein a day but that is very low for your goal weight.

Your profile goal weight is just an intermediary goal weight?

Be careful of macro percentages. They can be very deceiving. For example, if you get your 15% in but you weren't particularly hungry and only ate around 1000 cals, to use a round number, for that day you got very little actual protein grams. (1000*.15)/4= 37.5g of protein which is low even for the USRDA pygmy level suggested daily intake.

Dunno if you've signed on to the NK woe but even if you haven't you still need to take care of your protein intake and track actual grams for it then let the macro percentages inform and shape the other two macros - fat and carbs.

1700 cals daily sounds too low for you. May I ask your height?

I don't want to overwhelm you with stuff and it can be a lot to take in all at once so move at your own speed by all means.

Last edited by reddarin; 11-29-2012 at 03:51 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 11-29-2012, 03:58 AM   #1359
Senior LCF Member

Good morning all! Woke up nauseous and sore this morning, so I guess ketosis is kicking in! Weighed 125... -1.2 from yesterday, I'll take it.

Coffee with cream, root beer float, brie, macadamia nuts, and maybe some chicken roll ups on the menu today.

Have a good one everybody!
Old 11-29-2012, 04:18 AM   #1360
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
good morning.

down .6 this morning. DOWN is all i care about!! and if i can lose, even it is just seems '0.6' eating as many cals as i am, i totally cool with that!!
Old 11-29-2012, 05:17 AM   #1361
Senior LCF Member

dazygyrl, way to go! I am always amazed that I can lose on such high calories too.. 2000+ a day, and I am small to begin with. The scale barely budged when I was eating 1200/day with tons of cardio, so this way of eating is like a dream come true. :-)
Old 11-29-2012, 05:26 AM   #1362
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Hi All!

I had a VERY difficult week this past week and have no hope of catching up on posts. Things were so stressful I lost about a pound a day for the last seven days, so I'll be working on gaining a few of those back. I hope everyone else had a wonderful holiday and is doing great!
Old 11-29-2012, 05:33 AM   #1363
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
Hi All!

I had a VERY difficult week this past week and have no hope of catching up on posts. Things were so stressful I lost about a pound a day for the last seven days, so I'll be working on gaining a few of those back. I hope everyone else had a wonderful holiday and is doing great!

Welcome back Deborah

You were already underweight! Eat lots to regain that weight. I'd probably pig out on protein since LBM had to be where the loss came from.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:34 AM   #1364
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Good morning all! Woke up nauseous and sore this morning, so I guess ketosis is kicking in! Weighed 125... -1.2 from yesterday, I'll take it.

Coffee with cream, root beer float, brie, macadamia nuts, and maybe some chicken roll ups on the menu today.

Have a good one everybody!
Congrats!!!
Old 11-29-2012, 05:35 AM   #1365
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
good morning.

down .6 this morning. DOWN is all i care about!! and if i can lose, even it is just seems '0.6' eating as many cals as i am, i totally cool with that!!
Down is good!
Old 11-29-2012, 05:39 AM   #1366
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:

Welcome back Deborah

You were already underweight! Eat lots to regain that weight. I'd probably pig out on protein since LBM had to be where the loss came from.
Good point, Red. And now that things are looking up the tiniest bit, I am looking forward to working on gaining weight. I mean, how fun is that?!
Old 11-29-2012, 05:45 AM   #1367
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Nice, dazygyrl! I need to see that.

I'm still waiting for the scales to budge. Have been around 2000k daily. Still feel like I want to eat more but protein and carbs are where they should be. Frankly, the success thread has me a little nervous as those who are having success are not reporting. It has only been a few days for me. Trying to be patient.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:12 AM   #1368
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi All!

Welcome back, glad things are looking up for you. Enjoy working on that gain! :-)
Old 11-29-2012, 07:26 AM   #1369
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I'd probably pig out on protein since LBM had to be where the loss came from.
Hmmm.

I gave this some thought and I've changed my mind. I would eat more protein - probably up to 2.0g/kg.

But I'd make up the rest of the weight gaining calories from fat and keep carbs steady.

It occurred to me that excess protein is not going to do you any good. Your body can only utilize so much at one time no matter what the deficit might be at any given time. So a lot of extra protein is just going to cause an insulin response. Protein is not calorie dense. So you aren't going to get your calories up high enough if you are stuffed with protein.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:32 AM   #1370
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Deborah I hope you keep posting. I certainly do not have your problem, but my skinny sister does. She lost about 25 pounds with this WOE and has hit a point (112 pounds) she doesn't want to go below.

Please let us know how you are eating to healthfully gain to the weight you wish to be.

Thanks!

And Darin thanks for that analysis re: protein. I was really wondering about that and your thought process makes sense.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #1371
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandilynn1313 View Post
This is a skeleton recipe I use for mayo. Its a copycat for Duke's.

200 g oil - I use MCT and olive, sometimes mac nut, but not all macnut, since that'sa little macnutty for everything. :}
1 T White Vinegar (I use 1 T lime instead of white vinegar)
1 T Apple Cider vinegar
1 T Lemon Juice (I use another T of lime :} )
1 tsp salt
1/4 t dried mustard (I actually use 1/4 dark mustard and 1/4 yellow mustard and roast and grind them, but regular ol powdered mustard works fine)
1/4 t paprika (sometimes use smoked)
2 egg yolks (room temp)

I then put them all in the immersion blender cup and put the blender at the bottom, rocking back and forth until its goobledy goodness starts showing.

Yumz. The "hardest" part for me, mostly, is remembering to let the eggs come to room temp!
Thanks for your recipe, and I was happy to see it uses the immersion blender, it makes it sooooo easy I am amazed when I see others using the methods of blender, food processor and not having good results.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #1372
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Hi All!

Deborah, best to you on all fronts!
Old 11-29-2012, 07:55 AM   #1373
Big Yapper!!!!

Didn't post yesterday as I had a killer allergy/sinus headache, which I still have but it is better.

I did read all the posts yesterday though. Welcome to our new members. There is a lot of information to absorb at first, so take your time, don't try to conquer all the numbers at first, just cut out the carbs, then work on getting your required minimum amount of protein in daily and then, eat fats to make sure you aren't hungry. Getting too hungry is a dangerous place to be b/c the carbs are so handy and eager to jump into your mouth!!! For those who wonder how to up the fat, which seems so easy to me, don't forget butter. What doesn't taste good with butter on it? I put extra butter in my broth, I put it on chicken and almost any meat I am fixing or warming up.

I am almost finished with my third month on NK and I have to say that I have felt the best this month. I went through induction flu, aches and pains as my body detoxed, headaches from detoxing, fatique, leg cramps, but it was certainly worth working through all that. I had been eating very high carb before I started so I had a lot of detoxing to do. I am doing it for health reasons first, diabetic and high blood pressure, weight loss second. The weight loss is slow for me and I think for most people doing NK, but it can be a steady downward trend.

Maybe the reasons you don't read a lot of success stories is that it is usually just a steady, slow downward trend, which are success stories but not the headlines, like, wow, I am losing 3 lbs a week, or more, blah blah. But, how long term are those?

Anyway, welcome to everyone, stick around, give it a lot of time and what helped me the most at first, besides all my friends on LCF's, was to log every bite. Soon, that gave me an idea of what and how much to eat to get my protein in each day, keep the carbs low and work on hitting the right percentages.

Oh, one other thing that helped me A LOT. Darin with his support and figuring out my macros, and watching him eat the higher calories and still lose. I was so afraid of eating even the low end of the calories that he had figured for me until finally one week I decided to just use that week as an experiment and go for the higher calories. I lost just as well if not better that week. How freeing that was, now I don't worry about calories and that made getting in plenty of fat just that much easier.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #1374
Big Yapper!!!!

Red, I am too lazy to go back through right now and pick out particular posts, but I have seen you recommending lean meats? If not, forgive me for picking up wrong info but it surprised me, I was thinking you usually recommended fatty meats? Maybe it was for a particular person or need? Since getting back on LC, I eat the chicken skin, dark chicken meat, fatty brisket, the fat on steaks, etc. in a way to up my fat intake.

Just wondering if you had changed your thoughts or like I said, I might have mis-read something.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #1375
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/14
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Subbing
Old 11-29-2012, 08:37 AM   #1376
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Red, I am too lazy to go back through right now and pick out particular posts, but I have seen you recommending lean meats? If not, forgive me for picking up wrong info but it surprised me, I was thinking you usually recommended fatty meats? Maybe it was for a particular person or need? Since getting back on LC, I eat the chicken skin, dark chicken meat, fatty brisket, the fat on steaks, etc. in a way to up my fat intake.

Just wondering if you had changed your thoughts or like I said, I might have mis-read something.
The short answer is ... yes, I have changed my opinion on this - but...

It is very situational and only applies when there is a calorie goal. If you aren't watching calories then fatty protein is probably best. If you are not logging, which essentially is the same thing as not watching calories I do not care what you say otherwise lol, really fatty protein is best because I think you will end up with low fat and high protein elsewise.

Mostly it applies in two situations:

1) Your calorie goal is fairly low. Eating low fat protein makes it much easier to manage your fat macro with a low calorie restriction and still get in enough fat.

2) Your trying to get really high on your fat macro (80%+). Here too it makes it much easier to eat enough protein and control your fat intake with a finer granularity than otherwise.

I think.

I'd like to hear anyone's opinion on it if they have one especially if they disagree.

For sure the 2nd one is correct because I have done that myself by way of eating shrimp for protein then pigging out on good sat/mono fats while meeting my calorie goal range. Well. Mostly done it. I hit my 2500ish calorie ceiling usually around 82% fat.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #1377
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Subbing
Hiya
Old 11-29-2012, 09:10 AM   #1378
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lindawell8
Stats: 198/198/160
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: Jan. 2012
Hi everybody. I am back, I got scared and ran. Gained 5lbs and ran right back to EFGT and lost it. Took 4 days. I did not stop reading the posts. I need to lose this last 10 lbs. I am always sure I am putting fat back on. I try a pair of jeans on everyday to make sure they are not getting tighter. This eating fat is so scary. But I am going to do it. Thank you again Buffy and Red. You keep me thinking I can do this.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #1379
Blabbermouth!!!

Welcome back Linda
Old 11-29-2012, 09:13 AM   #1380
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
The short answer is ... yes, I have changed my opinion on this - but...

It is very situational and only applies when there is a calorie goal. If you aren't watching calories then fatty protein is probably best. If you are not logging, which essentially is the same thing as not watching calories I do not care what you say otherwise lol, really fatty protein is best because I think you will end up with low fat and high protein elsewise.

Mostly it applies in two situations:

1) Your calorie goal is fairly low. Eating low fat protein makes it much easier to manage your fat macro with a low calorie restriction and still get in enough fat.

2) Your trying to get really high on your fat macro (80%+). Here too it makes it much easier to eat enough protein and control your fat intake with a finer granularity than otherwise.

I think.

I'd like to hear anyone's opinion on it if they have one especially if they disagree.

For sure the 2nd one is correct because I have done that myself by way of eating shrimp for protein then pigging out on good sat/mono fats while meeting my calorie goal range. Well. Mostly done it. I hit my 2500ish calorie ceiling usually around 82% fat.

That certainly makes sense. When I was trying to keep my calories lower I can see how this would really help.

And, glad to know I wasn't imagining things
Closed Thread