Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #1231
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Yup. Phinney has co-authored at least 3 books on LC now.

The thing to keep in mind about the Atkins book is that Atkins is a brand name with a corporation behind it and, therefore, it is a defined product.

So, any person that writes something of substance for the Atkins corporation is going to have to follow their guidelines - whether they completely agree or not.

Some things that define the Atkins brand are: The Carb Ladder, Net Carbs, Induction, etc.

You aren't going to read a book on Atkins without those things being covered favorably.

If you read the LC Living book, Phinney actually goes so far as to say that increasing your carb intake is not very wise! Wow! And the woe that he promotes in both Living and Performance is with Total Carbs! Not net. He also sets a very low level for NK of 50g Total Carbs! Very different from what is [required] to be described by the fine folks at Atkins Inc.

Sorta like Abe at RuptureFarms.

Yea, I'm glad you guys brought this up, I was thinking about this yesterday- if Phinney co authored the new atkins book, how does it vary from his other books. Good points Red.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #1232
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
Start Date: 10/24/12
Well, unlike Buffy and Clueless...appetite has not dropped yet. I had a couple of good days where I wasn't all that hungry, and I'm finally full right now...but yesterday- I ate about 3600 calories, and didn't get full- not one bit!!! I'm patiently waiting for the hunger to subside consistently :-)
Old 11-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #1233
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
Well, unlike Buffy and Clueless...appetite has not dropped yet. I had a couple of good days where I wasn't all that hungry, and I'm finally full right now...but yesterday- I ate about 3600 calories, and didn't get full- not one bit!!! I'm patiently waiting for the hunger to subside consistently :-)
I was just like that. I ate a lot there for a while. I never dreamed I would be one of those people that actually could forget to eat.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #1234
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
I was just like that. I ate a lot there for a while. I never dreamed I would be one of those people that actually could forget to eat.
Quote:
I can tell you that my experience has been that the appetite suppression did happen for me - twice so far.

The first time was on HFLC. I was LC then I discovered the EFGT category and someone posted an 80/15/5 thread that I followed. My macros were screwy back then but it wasn't NK just super high fat. I frequently got over 85% fat but I doubt my protein intake was really adequate during that (fairly short) period of time. I did experience the thrill of not feeling a compulsion to eat.

The second time was when I became adapted after starting NK back in September. I mentioned earlier that I was eating about 1500 calories a day. I ate that way for a while, even less on some days, and I was not hungry. I typically didn't eat anything after 5pm and didn't have any calories till the next morning with my CO/HWC/Coffee - about 12 hours later. When I finished the coffee mixture it would be around 7 hours, and as much as 9 hours, before I had anything else to eat. Essentially I was eating one meal a day although the high calorie coffee concoction was a meal calorie-wise.

As you know I am off plan because of quitting smoking. To my surprise I have once again experienced the compulsion to eat - something I hadn't felt in almost a year! Pretty dang annoying too. But I know that once I get back into NK and get adapted again I will be able to eat the calorie level I choose (which is probably around 2300 a day).

Old 11-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #1235
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Sopie, it did take a while if I remember, I was so in heaven eating all this high fat, yummo things but it did subside.
Are you logging and if so, how many grams and what percentage of fat are you eating? That is what seems to really fill me up, is the really high fat. I even have a problem getting enough protein in for the day as I am so not hungry. But, I start drinking coffee with lots of CO as soon as I get up and keep drinking that, adding more Co to each cup, often until the pot is empty.

We will keep working on it and you until we get you filled up my dear
Old 11-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #1236
Blabbermouth!!!

Well, it was cool enough overnight and this morning that I went ahead and began re-seasoning my two cast iron pans.

The big skillet was perfect but I messed up the patina when I used it to cook a steak in the oven

The other one, the deep high sided 10" skillet, well that sucker did not become non-stick like the big skillet. Not sure why since I did it the same I thought.

One thing I did was rush the process for both of them so this time around I am going to try to take the full length of time with the seasoning process.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:50 AM   #1237
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I frequently got over 85% fat but I doubt my protein intake was really adequate during that (fairly short) period of time.
Wait! I was rereading that and I realized I was mistaken about the protein. I was getting a lot of protein. I was eating really fatty protein like bacon and sausage. I was not worried about calories all that much although I did try to keep it under 3000 or so
Old 11-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #1238
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tablis
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Quote:
No worries although I was giddy with excitement lol
LOL! I'm so sorry to let you down! I will try to retrace my browsing history and see who linked this thread.
And if you guys are out there (Phinney and Vollek) we'd love to hear from you- our skinniness will be your best advertisement (along with our talkative ("type"ative) natures
Old 11-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #1239
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That is true. Both Eades and Davis respond on their blogs - a lot. Eades answered a couple of questions for me directly.

Pretty extraordinary since you know both of them must be very busy with the rest of their professional and personal lives.
cool
Old 11-27-2012, 11:55 AM   #1240
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
yes, it is more good fat. I close my nose so I don't taste it and follow it w/lg glass of water to wash out my mouth. I hope it works for you- but then again, we are all different- magnesium never helped me. Another thing I heard that helps regulation is taking a lot of vit. c
I'm taking 1000 mgs of Vitamin C, 800 of magnesium lots of CO and the EVOO.
This always happens to me though on LC just now I'm VVVVLC
Old 11-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #1241
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I can tell you that my experience has been that the appetite suppression did happen for me - twice so far.

The first time was on HFLC. I was LC then I discovered the EFGT category and someone posted an 80/15/5 thread that I followed. My macros were screwy back then but it wasn't NK just super high fat. I frequently got over 85% fat but I doubt my protein intake was really adequate during that (fairly short) period of time. I did experience the thrill of not feeling a compulsion to eat.

The second time was when I became adapted after starting NK back in September. I mentioned earlier that I was eating about 1500 calories a day. I ate that way for a while, even less on some days, and I was not hungry. I typically didn't eat anything after 5pm and didn't have any calories till the next morning with my CO/HWC/Coffee - about 12 hours later. When I finished the coffee mixture it would be around 7 hours, and as much as 9 hours, before I had anything else to eat. Essentially I was eating one meal a day although the high calorie coffee concoction was a meal calorie-wise.

As you know I am off plan because of quitting smoking. To my surprise I have once again experienced the compulsion to eat - something I hadn't felt in almost a year! Pretty dang annoying too. But I know that once I get back into NK and get adapted again I will be able to eat the calorie level I choose (which is probably around 2300 a day).

I'm so not hungry its scary and weird. I seem to have 2 modes eat everything and eat nothing
Old 11-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #1242
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Snoangel
Stats: 214/135/139
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: July 2010
Hi ALL!!
Some great discussions going on this morning!!

I posted what I'm about to say on the meat egg thread but wanted to do here also. Sorry it is completely off topic but I tell you guys everythng anyways so here goes.....

I've been struggling with a guy at work that talks about shooting people and other horrible things, and he carries his gun holster on his hip in the office. I've had a meeting about it yet he continues to work here.
well today he made a horrible joke and I put my foot down, and said enough is enough. A few days ago we had a co worker die of a heart attack at the age of 32, leaving his wife and I think 5 children behind. Anyway this guy walks by my desk with an energy drink and says " I'm gonna drink this and try to have a heart attack and die like happy feet" (that was his nickname) well that was my breaking point! I told everyone I wouldn't be in tomorrow if they didn't terminate him and they are as I type. I'm sorry it's off subject but I had to get it off my chest! I would never joke about someones loss of life even if they were my worst enemy.

No appetite today at all!
Old 11-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #1243
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by alizgurl View Post
Hi ALL!!

I posted what I'm about to say on the meat egg thread but wanted to do here also. Sorry it is completely off topic but I tell you guys everythng anyways so here goes.....

I've been struggling with a guy at work that talks about shooting people and other horrible things, and he carries his gun holster on his hip in the office. I've had a meeting about it yet he continues to work here.
well today he made a horrible joke and I put my foot down, and said enough is enough. A few days ago we had a co worker die of a heart attack at the age of 32, leaving his wife and I think 5 children behind. Anyway this guy walks by my desk with an energy drink and says " I'm gonna drink this and try to have a heart attack and die like happy feet" (that was his nickname) well that was my breaking point! I told everyone I wouldn't be in tomorrow if they didn't terminate him and they are as I type. I'm sorry it's off subject but I had to get it off my chest! I would never joke about someones loss of life even if they were my worst enemy.

That guy sounds like a time bomb.
In all seriousness - how is the security where you work?
Might he be vengeful?

I'm always so helpful and not terror-inducing at all...

Please be careful.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #1244
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Wow, I don't blame you Oceana, how thoughtless, cruel and scary to be around him.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #1245
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Hi ALL!!

Wow! There is a village missing their idiot but he may be repatriated soon looks like. Who the heck thinks shooting people or mocking someone's heart attack makes for great humor? Answer: the unemployed guy over there.

So sorry for the family of the person that died
Old 11-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #1246
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi ALL!!

OMG thats horrible. What a sicko. Please be careful.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #1247
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Wow! There is a village missing their idiot but he may be repatriated soon looks like.

How do come up with this material?

You should be doing stand up!
Old 11-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #1248
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
I'm always so helpful and not terror-inducing at all
lol
Old 11-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #1249
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Sorry it is completely off topic but!
You must have missed our exciting discourse about Justin Bieber.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #1250
Senior LCF Member

It all came to light 2 weeks ago when he said he was gonna go get his gun out of his car because the owner was here, He said too many people telling him what to do. He claims he was in combat in the military and killed many and talks about doing drugs. Also, I don't bring my religion to work yet he wears "hate god" shirts and talks about it and I find that very offensive!
I'm worried he might retaliate and do something stupid, he knows where I live which is another scary thought!
We have no security.

I'll just keep praying for him and our safety.
Thanks for listening to my rant!
Old 11-27-2012, 12:16 PM   #1251
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
You must have missed our exciting discourse about Justin Bieber.

HAhahaha actually I was going to comment on that! I laughed so hard, everyone probably thought I was crazy

Your disclaimer was the very best!
Old 11-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #1252
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
It all came to light 2 weeks ago when he said he was gonna go get his gun out of his car because the owner was here, He said too many people telling him what to do. He claims he was in combat in the military and killed many and talks about doing drugs. Also, I don't bring my religion to work yet he wears "hate god" shirts and talks about it and I find that very offensive!
I'm worried he might retaliate and do something stupid, he knows where I live which is another scary thought!
We have no security.

I'll just keep praying for him and our safety.
Thanks for listening to my rant!
oh my, that's very scary... maybe you should notify someone that he could be dangerous
Old 11-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #1253
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablis View Post
oh my, that's very scary... maybe you should notify someone that he could be dangerous
Yes.
Maybe you should.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #1254
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Yes.
Maybe you should.
I did and last week had a meeting with the owner and a supervisor. They just put it off and did't act quickly on it. So today I put my foot down and said enough is enough and if he doesn't go, I DO!!!!! So all the supervisors as well as the owner are meeting at this moment. This is the third meeting about him and better be the last.
I don't feel bad at all for putting my foot down, its for the safety and well being of everyone in this office.
They do things old school here but what's the point of having a handbook and not following it!?
Old 11-27-2012, 12:47 PM   #1255
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My DD works for an old-school type business. It seems lately they've also sort of picked-and chose which rules they'd like to enforce and which they wouldn't.

Oceana I'm really more concerned with what happens after this. This is the scary after-school special we all saw coming, where crazy guy "gets even" for getting canned.

Or not.
Depends on your level of paranoia. I'm pretty ratcheted up, myself.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #1256
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I did and last week had a meeting with the owner and a supervisor. They just put it off and did't act quickly on it. So today I put my foot down and said enough is enough and if he doesn't go, I DO!!!!! So all the supervisors as well as the owner are meeting at this moment. This is the third meeting about him and better be the last.
I don't feel bad at all for putting my foot down, its for the safety and well being of everyone in this office.
They do things old school here but what's the point of having a handbook and not following it!?
Wait so they still haven't fired him yet? what if you go in there and remind them that your comments to them about him must be kept confidential when they speak with him.
Does anyone else know that it was you that spoke about him?
Old 11-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #1257
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Quote:
Yes - and also know that many people (even those who just lurk or who don't post much) appreciate the discussion and differing points of view.

Thanks to all who take the time!
Ditto!
Old 11-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #1258
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablis View Post
How do come up with this material?
Two people in particular, I think, are most responsible for my wacky sense of humor. My father and one of my best friends from high school. Well, 'responsible' or 'to blame' depending on who you ask
Old 11-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #1259
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anjikun
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
I am a little embarrassed to bring this up but wondered if anyone experienced binge behavior when they started this woe.
I have problems with bingeing when I eat higher carb things. Even fruit sometimes can set me off. One of the reasons that brought me to this forum is because I had decided to try "moderate" carb to see if that would increase my energy levels. The problem is that I just cannot seem to do moderate carb. I end up bingeing on something. This time it was bread. In the past I've binged on honey so bad (like thousands of grams of carbs worth) that I was literally sick for the whole next day. I consider myself a honeyholic
Old 11-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #1260
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjikun View Post
I consider myself a honeyholic
Boy that probably describes my whole family - except for me. I am the odd man out. I've never liked honey. Well, not counting Bit-O-Honey.

Closed Thread