Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 03:25 AM   #61
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Well I did it!!i quit could not do it any more,unreal that people have to work like that for so little money.i pray for the patiences.

Now I can starting eating three meals again.
Today
B- none coffee tbs co
L- 5 oz pork roast
D- had a little juice from roast
Not enough,,,,,tommorrow will be better no stress
Terrible numbers but good that you have gotten yourself out of that horrible situation. Surely there is another facility that would value a good part time worker around there?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2012, 03:44 AM   #62
Blabbermouth!!!

Weigh-in 11022012

Weigh-in this morning ... ... ... 190.4

Bump. Up down up down lol. I'm pretty sure I am still getting adjusted back into keto-adaptation after going off the rails for that first week when I quit smoking two weeks ago. I keep running it through my head that the last 5 or 10 pounds can be the hardest to take off but really I don't think that is the case, at least not for me. Although my nominal goal is 185 and my ideal weight is probably about 180, I could still be at a 'healthy' weight all the way down to 160 or so. Which means I have about a 30 pound window not a 5 or 10 pound window. I am not going to lose down to 160 but my body doesn't know that. I would like to see 179 on the scale for vanity if nothing else.

Still holding at 38.5" across the belly button. I think Mike in the other thread said that 37" was the 'normal' measurement for men. I'm gonna google that to see where he got that from. I think I did at the time but I can't remember for sure.

BP is still high but not terrifyingly dangerous high. It is funny cause I quit smoking thinking that would drop it like a rock, which it hasn't, but when I quit smoking I also ate too many carbs and dropped out of keto-adaptation. I did go through another short bout of induction flu a couple of days ago so I must keep total carbs below 50g at all cost lol. And, of course, I only quit 15 days ago so that is not a very long time to really impact total health even living LC.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:55 AM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Holy smoke Deb!! You have a lot on your plate right now! Don't worry about losing weight - health comes first!

Besides. Anyone that sips ACV on purpose gets an instant 7 day free-pass for each occurrence. Whew!! Yukkie!!
Red, you made me laugh with this! The vinegar is actually not so bad, it is diluted with the water don't forget

I'm hoping that by dropping some of this excess fat, my health will start to improve on its own. I'm pretty sure my hormonal issues will at any rate. As for the rest, that's up for debate.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:56 AM   #64
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Morning! I had a bump up this morning as well, but, ate late, got to bed late, did not get enough sleep, so blaming it on all that. I am headed for Austin today to see my DS, DDIL and DGS, so will be on the road, at their house for a day or two.

Red, what amazes me is that you are basically holding your own while upping your calories a lot. And, how many ex smokers out there don't start and continue gaining weight? I think you are doing great.

Taking a cooler along on my little road trip to help keep me on track. DDIL makes sur they eat a healthy diet so there are always eggs, cottage cheese, etc. at their house. No junk food at all. Except what I would bring in in the past, not going to happen this trip.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:04 AM   #65
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
The vinegar is actually not so bad, it is diluted with the water don't forget
If it is diluted with ketchup, brown sugar, fresh ground black pepper, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, *and* water, then it would be okay.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:25 AM   #66
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Morning! I had a bump up this morning as well, but, ate late, got to bed late, did not get enough sleep, so blaming it on all that. I am headed for Austin today to see my DS, DDIL and DGS, so will be on the road, at their house for a day or two.

Red, what amazes me is that you are basically holding your own while upping your calories a lot. And, how many ex smokers out there don't start and continue gaining weight? I think you are doing great.

Taking a cooler along on my little road trip to help keep me on track. DDIL makes sur they eat a healthy diet so there are always eggs, cottage cheese, etc. at their house. No junk food at all. Except what I would bring in in the past, not going to happen this trip.
The perils of sleeping in! You end up going to bed late. It is funny because you can end up inverting your sleep so that you are up most of the night and sleeping most of the day, right? Who hasn't done that while on vacation? It was one of the first things that happened to my Dad when he retired. But it only works in that direction which is the weird thing. It doesn't continue cycling back around so that you are sleeping all night and up all day. You have to force that to happen.

The implications are, of course, that the bar hopping out all night painting the town crowd are actually living the healthy way man was intended to live.

Have a safe drive Buffy
Old 11-02-2012, 06:34 AM   #67
Blabbermouth!!!

Here is a Man Is Driving And Lost tip for you girls.

If we are going somewhere and we are lost we will pretend to be very interested in the scenery or surrounding area while we rack our brains trying to figure out where we got lost so we can get back on track without letting on that we ever got lost in the first place.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:27 AM   #68
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Here is a Man Is Driving And Lost tip for you girls.

If we are going somewhere and we are lost we will pretend to be very interested in the scenery or surrounding area while we rack our brains trying to figure out where we got lost so we can get back on track without letting on that we ever got lost in the first place.

Seen it many times.

Breakfast, 2 fried yolks, 2 slices of bacon.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:30 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
If it is diluted with ketchup, brown sugar, fresh ground black pepper, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, *and* water, then it would be okay.
still laughing, Red! I agree the above would be great on some slow smoked pork ribs

while i have your attention, Red- I rejigged my numbers from the OP of the Nov thread using the Phinney formula.

here's what I came up with: my long term ideal weight is 150lbs or 68kg

i'm shooting for 25gm of carbs per day

2386 –daily calorie goal

Protein goal – 17% - 408 protein calories
Carb goal – 4% - 100 carb calories
Fat goal – 79% - 1878 calories from fat

are these numbers for real? I'm keeping in mind that you said that until I hit the 150 lb mark, 2386 calories is actually a deficit of calories! I don't think I've eaten that many calories a day in living memory! I was always one of those protesting "but I don't eat as much as "Patty, Jane, Edward whoever" and still gained 80 lbs in the last 20 years. My highest weight was 238 lbs about 2 years ago but I actually recall how hard it was to keep eating the bad stuff. I ate it for stress relief and comfort-several deaths in family, and caregiving of elderly parents after 7 surgeries between them.

I finally realized it was making me feel worse so I dropped the junk food, and ate 'normal' and dropped to my current weight of 214. Stable at this weight w/o trying but now am motivated to begin my way to a healthier weight.

Can you check my calculations and let me know if I'm off? almost 1900 calories of fat per day? How am I ever going to reach that? It seems overwhelming even though I love to eat fat....
Old 11-02-2012, 07:34 AM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: livinlarge
WOE: whatever works
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Harms way, you can do it, you and Red both pointed out some of the trigger times when you reach for a cigarette, pay close attention. Mine was also when the phone rang, always lit up when I took a call. Now I feel so bad when my grown kids tell me how much they HATED the smell of our house, car, us, with 2 smoking parents. Yuck! You do not want to be that Yucky person! You want to smell like a pretty woman, and Red smell like a handsome man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
HarmsWay, wonderful to hear you are quitting....hang in tight!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TryAgain View Post
I also quit smoking a few years ago. I found (find) it very challenging and wish red & harm the best. for keeping at it!
Thanksabunch to all of ya's!!! And anyone else I missed.....
Today is day 3 and I'm not sure if I wanna chew my arm off, kick someone's ass or just cry New diet, quit smoking & PMSing all at the same time.....my poor husband. I'm either gonna lock myself in the bedroom with a good book this weekend OR I may break down and go get one of the e-cigs. I was hoping to go cold-turkey, but I'm beginning to lose confidence in myself...

On another note: My scale has not budged in 4 days. Exactly 206.8 every.single.day. Am I the only one that finds that weird??? I wonder if the batteries are getting low. I can't imagine not going up or down at least a couple ounces. Watcha think?

I ate more than I intended to yesterday, but it was "legal" stuff.....handful of pistachios & a square of super dark choc at the office & then I made a couple slices of bacon after dinner last night (which was huge btw). I dunno, I really thought the scale would be up somewhat this morning.

Anyway, today's plan is below. My intentions are to stick to this, but I'm being easy on myself and may add in a snack here or there....nuts, fat bomb, etc, bacon...

B - 4 bacon, eggs, coffee w/CO (done)
L - sausage/kale soup
D - bacon & eggs again OR pork steak & roasted brussel sprouts
coffee and water to drink

I hope everyone is doing well! I'm gonna go stick my head back in the sand for a bit.....
Old 11-02-2012, 07:59 AM   #71
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
still laughing, Red! I agree the above would be great on some slow smoked pork ribs

while i have your attention, Red- I rejigged my numbers from the OP of the Nov thread using the Phinney formula.

here's what I came up with: my long term ideal weight is 150lbs or 68kg

i'm shooting for 25gm of carbs per day

2386 –daily calorie goal

Protein goal – 17% - 408 protein calories
Carb goal – 4% - 100 carb calories
Fat goal – 79% - 1878 calories from fat

are these numbers for real? I'm keeping in mind that you said that until I hit the 150 lb mark, 2386 calories is actually a deficit of calories! I don't think I've eaten that many calories a day in living memory! I was always one of those protesting "but I don't eat as much as "Patty, Jane, Edward whoever" and still gained 80 lbs in the last 20 years. My highest weight was 238 lbs about 2 years ago but I actually recall how hard it was to keep eating the bad stuff. I ate it for stress relief and comfort-several deaths in family, and caregiving of elderly parents after 7 surgeries between them.

I finally realized it was making me feel worse so I dropped the junk food, and ate 'normal' and dropped to my current weight of 214. Stable at this weight w/o trying but now am motivated to begin my way to a healthier weight.

Can you check my calculations and let me know if I'm off? almost 1900 calories of fat per day? How am I ever going to reach that? It seems overwhelming even though I love to eat fat....

Yes, those numbers are correct. 102g of protein a day. Your calorie window is 2045 to 2386 so I think if you fall somewhere in that range you'll be good. You can adjust the fat up or down to adjust the calories. Even if you ate at the bottom of the window by adjusting fat grams down ~30g you'd still be at 75% fat.

Be sure you are tracking protein grams and not protein calories - 102g

Old 11-02-2012, 08:02 AM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lindawell8
Stats: 198/198/160
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: Jan. 2012
Good morning, Harmsway my scales seem stuck also. Been the same weight for 3 days. So I don.t think I am eating enough. I put what I eat everyday on ******. Been a little scared of eating so many cal. But never have bumped it up to over 2000. But going to today. Need to know. And Red is real smart about this stuff, so I need to trust. So here goes another day. Have a good day.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Harmsway I seem to lose in whoosies ,,scales set 4-7 days at a time then they move 1-2 lbs I've been losing 1.75 lbs a week ever month so far.i no right now I'm not eating enough,so I do not lose if I don't eat enough,funny!!But now i got this stress out of my life I will do better...
Old 11-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #74
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: livinlarge
WOE: whatever works
I'm just gonna blame it on the phase of the moon and call it a week.....
Old 11-02-2012, 08:19 AM   #75
Blabbermouth!!!

Dunno about the e-cigs Nicki. I have several around here and I've avoided them like the plague. First off, I never found them to be anything other than a quick nicotine fix when I absolutely couldn't smoke but they are a far, far cry from an actual cigarette. That is the reason I haven't used them when the cravings strike - I'm afraid they'd lead me back to cigs instead of away from them.

Purely from a standpoint of simulated smoking and satisfaction with it.

Keep your mouth busy with a straw or toothpick. Get some sunflower seeds in the shell. Touch your lips with your fingertips or a pen. You *must* whip the sensory part of the addiction to succeed I think.

As for the scale thing. That is weird but I think it happens a lot. You can have your husband weigh himself over a few days to check it I guess. Remember you are stressing the heck out of your body by quitting smoking so I think it is normal for it to try to keep weight stable or increased. And if you are staying LC without eating an incredible increase in calories then the tendency will be towards weight stability. I ended up carbing out a bit on corn chips (can't eat wheat thank God) and over eating LC friendly foods like almonds.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
I actually have a twin sis named Sonia, Shhheww I could a been a Tonya. Nice name but it sure wouldn't suit me.
My sister's name is Sonya, rhymes with Tonya. We're not twins (complete opposites actually, lol). But we are only a year apart (I'm one year older).
Old 11-02-2012, 08:39 AM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmsWay View Post
On another note: My scale has not budged in 4 days. Exactly 206.8 every.single.day. Am I the only one that finds that weird??? I wonder if the batteries are getting low. I can't imagine not going up or down at least a couple ounces. Watcha think?
Some scales (I think weight watchers?) only will show a new weight if you are +/- 2 pounds from your last weight. I can't find the old discussion about it, but some people would get on the scale holding something heavy to get it to reset and then get on the scale again to get their true weight.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Yes, those numbers are correct. 102g of protein a day. Your calorie window is 2045 to 2386 so I think if you fall somewhere in that range you'll be good. You can adjust the fat up or down to adjust the calories. Even if you ate at the bottom of the window by adjusting fat grams down ~30g you'd still be at 75% fat.

Be sure you are tracking protein grams and not protein calories - 102g

thanks for checking that for me. Even 102g of protein seems really high- that's a lot of food! I will definitely have to do a protein shake in there at least once a day I think. I was thinking that 65 g per day I was doing well.

Well, off to rethink my menus-a plus is that I can eat more bacon...and creamed coconut off a spoon will up the fat I think...i'll have some of that now in fact.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #79
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
My sister's name is Sonya, rhymes with Tonya. We're not twins (complete opposites actually, lol). But we are only a year apart (I'm one year older).
, glad our names didn't rhyme cause no one could ever tell us apart and we are not identical and look nothing alike? She has red hair and I have blonde. And she is short, 4'11" I am a much taller 5'1"
Old 11-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Clueless....we have a lot in common .im 5'1 weigh 167.4 we live about 15 miles apart.but I think I'm older 55.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #81
Major LCF Poster!

Still not ate anything yet,just not hungry..guess ill go get me a can sardiens
Old 11-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #82
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Clueless....we have a lot in common .im 5'1 weigh 167.4 we live about 15 miles apart.but I think I'm older 55.
Wow, small world after all. I will be 41 next week.
My hubby is a Cana boy. He moved here when we got married 2 yrs ago. Boy does he hate NC. But he loves me so he is ok. We are about 10 minutes from Va so we get to Cana alot.

How are ya feeling today? Hope being unemployed agrees with ya.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #83
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
guess ill go get me a can sardiens
Old 11-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #84
Blabbermouth!!!

Got me a London Broil top round yesterday marked down at the store but it was choice and a really excellent price. I hadn't tried to cook one of them before so it was a bit of a risk and even standing there knowing nothing about it the cut looked like tough meat.

But I know I can tenderize even select cuts with the salt method so what the hey I got it.

But when I googled it I had a dilemma. Tenderize using the salt method or marinade for flavor and risk it being tough. Dang.

I went with the marinade and winged it on the cooking. Turned out really good though.

First, I rinsed the meat off. I always rinse off the beef and pork cuts that I buy.

Threw the meat in a zip lock to marinade. Used GF soy sauce, ground black pepper, diced garlic from a jar, cayenne, crushed red pepper flakes, and the last couple of T of almond oil from a bottle I bought a while back at Sprouts.

I let that marinade in the fridge for 4 hours. Then took it out and set it on the stove for an hour. I always do that with beef. Sometimes pork cuts too if it is thick.

Browned it in the CI skillet then threw it in 325 oven for 15 mins and that did not cook it lol. Bloody as heck. I like rare but more to the cooked side of rare than the raw side. So, back in the oven for another 15 mins and I pushed the heat up to 350. That over cooked it just a tad but with thin slices it was perfect! Very tasty. Had it with some cauliflower, some jalapenos that were too friggin hot and an oz of sour cream. Dang that was good eating. There was a choice ribeye package marked down but it was $14 and the top round was only $8. I would never had done that (risked the eight bucks on the cheap cut) before the salt process thing from that site.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Got me a London Broil top round yesterday marked down at the store but it was choice and a really excellent price. I hadn't tried to cook one of them before so it was a bit of a risk and even standing there knowing nothing about it the cut looked like tough meat.

But I know I can tenderize even select cuts with the salt method so what the hey I got it.

But when I googled it I had a dilemma. Tenderize using the salt method or marinade for flavor and risk it being tough. Dang.

I went with the marinade and winged it on the cooking. Turned out really good though.

First, I rinsed the meat off. I always rinse off the beef and pork cuts that I buy.

Threw the meat in a zip lock to marinade. Used GF soy sauce, ground black pepper, diced garlic from a jar, cayenne, crushed red pepper flakes, and the last couple of T of almond oil from a bottle I bought a while back at Sprouts.

I let that marinade in the fridge for 4 hours. Then took it out and set it on the stove for an hour. I always do that with beef. Sometimes pork cuts too if it is thick.

Browned it in the CI skillet then threw it in 325 oven for 15 mins and that did not cook it lol. Bloody as heck. I like rare but more to the cooked side of rare than the raw side. So, back in the oven for another 15 mins and I pushed the heat up to 350. That over cooked it just a tad but with thin slices it was perfect! Very tasty. Had it with some cauliflower, some jalapenos that were too friggin hot and an oz of sour cream. Dang that was good eating. There was a choice ribeye package marked down but it was $14 and the top round was only $8. I would never had done that (risked the eight bucks on the cheap cut) before the salt process thing from that site.
I wonder how it would have been if you had salted it instead of marinating it...I'm drooling thinking about a hot juicy steak...
Old 11-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #86
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lindawell8
Stats: 198/198/160
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: Jan. 2012
This might seem like a dumb question. But are we just supposed to eat 3 meals a day. Not eat through the day. And to get into ketoeous does it take a few days and how do I tell. Is that two many questions. I am eating all this fat and hopeI am doing it right. Never have I read so much in my life. It is the only way I am going to get it. thanks to everybody.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #87
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I wonder how it would have been if you had salted it instead of marinating it...I'm drooling thinking about a hot juicy steak...
Yeah I was torn between salting or marinating. I went with marinating because salting only tenderizes - it doesn't really flavorize other than adding the salt characteristic. And it was already a choice grade of meat so it should have been fairly tender in the first place.

For a select grade I would probably still go with the marinade over salting for the flavor on a cut of meat like this. But I'd google for a marinade concoction that tenderizes.

And, of course, soy sauce has a lot of sodium in it so that probably worked out pretty well anyway.

It was awful good. I weighed out how much I wanted to eat before I started eating so that I wouldn't eat it all in one sitting like I did the ribeye a few days ago heh.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #88
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindawell8 View Post
This might seem like a dumb question. But are we just supposed to eat 3 meals a day. Not eat through the day. And to get into ketoeous does it take a few days and how do I tell. Is that two many questions. I am eating all this fat and hopeI am doing it right. Never have I read so much in my life. It is the only way I am going to get it. thanks to everybody.
No dumb questions around here. Ask whatever you want.

No. Eat as often or as seldom as you like there isn't really requirement one way or the other.

*However*! Be careful about doing really long unintentional fasting. Your body responds to lack of protein very quickly so you need to eat your protein within a rolling 24 hour window.

While there doesn't seem to be any proof that eating protein throughout the day is a physical requirement it is probably not a bad idea to have your daily protein spread out over at at least 2 meals.

Ketosis can be a pretty complicated subject but the short answer is that for what we are doing (Nutritional Ketosis) it takes 2 weeks for most people to adapt. Much longer for a very few people.

However, the benefits of LC are usually felt pretty quickly and once you go LC your body normally drops 8 to 10 pounds of fluid that it was holding on to for high carb living.

Last edited by reddarin; 11-02-2012 at 12:22 PM..
Old 11-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindawell8 View Post
this is so not a dumb question! Google Jack Kruse Leptin Reset RX- he advocates 0 calories between meals-high fat, moderate protein and very low carb. The reset part of his blog/forum is that allowing 4-5 hours between meals resets the hypothalamus which resets metabolism...snacking destroys timing and circadian clocks that work in unison with Leptin- also allow 4-5 hours between dinner and bedtime 0 calories.

According to Dr. Kruse, If you're overweight, you're Leptin Resistant and need to restore Leptin Sensitivity to reset your body systems including metabolism....
Google Jack Kruse "Chapter One on Leptin" to start and if you have patience, and interest you'll see how meal timing and circadian rythms work.

This is just one opinion but when I read his blog(it will take a LOT of reading) it made sense. And it took me back to how I ate as a child- not force fed snacks as if I would die without food in my mouth. My parents fed us 3 meals a day and no snacks-we were poor. I never started gaining lots of weight til I left home and my eating rythms were all over the place. All hours of the day. I'm trying to get back to the long intervals between meals with 0 calories- it has something to do with how your stomach secretes certain enzymes in response to lack of calories after a certain number of hours. If we constantly eat, our stomach never gets the brain signals to secrete the enzymes necessary for a further cascade reaction, then all heck breaks loose and our brains and bodies go into survival at all costs mode...which screws us up.

Last edited by Deb34; 11-02-2012 at 12:33 PM..
Old 11-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #90
Major LCF Poster!

Clueless I go to that new health food store there in Cana all the time,she even ask me if I would like to work part time...I've been retired for 2 years just decided to go back to work for spending money,so now I think I'll stay home for the winter,I love the snow.so I'll play..

Had my sardines ,going to have hburgers for dinner with lettuce..I will eat more tommorrow .
Closed Thread